Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    REPUBLIC NOW
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    The Royal Family
    @RoyalFamily
    The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.

The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.

Ah.

That will not be at all controversial...
    The Queen announced she wanted Camilla to be Queen consort earlier this year.

It shouldn't be controversial.
  • God Save The King.
  • RobD said:

Sarah Jane giving the game away on Sky
    'We're just waiting for Harry to arrive' theyve obvs been told an update will follow once everyone is there

What's taking him so long?
    He spent ages trying to persuade Meghan to come along to support him
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

National anthem. That’s now God Save The King.

Yep. That was my first thought. Talking about the King's plans on the radio. Not heard this in my lifetime.
    Very few of us have. My own mother is 75, she’d have been five years old the last time this happened.
  • Terrible news for us all.
    Farooq said:

REPUBLIC NOW

Be kind people. Remember performativeness, and grief police.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Farooq said:

REPUBLIC NOW

*checks*... no, still a monarchy.
  • Time to toast the Queen in her favourite tipple:

https://www.elletalk.com/the-queens-dubonnet-cocktail/
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    edited September 2022
    Poor, poor Boris Johnson. He missed being Prime Minister at a key point in history by 48 hours.
  • Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

National anthem. That’s now God Save The King.

Yep. That was my first thought. Talking about the King's plans on the radio. Not heard this in my lifetime.
    Very few of us have. My own mother is 75, she’d have been five years old the last time this happened.
    My wife was 13 and I was 9
  • NEW THREAD

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,615

Nigelb said:

Good morning

I find it mildly amusing that it seems polls have not shown a bounce for Truss when she has only been PM for less than 48 hours

She did do well yesterday and today is extremely important, but it will take time and not just weeks for the government to show progress and of course her refusal to join the chorus of demands for a windfall tax may well be a negative, while being the right thing to do to get the producers investing in the North Sea and at last a change in the narrative to a pro business government

I would be concerned if she is polling like this this time next year, but everything pivots around Russia and the outcome of the war

If Putin and Russia suddenly fold for any reason then things could change overnight, or as an analyst said last night this could go on for a decade or more at which time we will all be penniless

We should encourage investment in North Sea wind farms, but not in fossil fuel extraction. We all now know how real climate change is. We’ve made good progress in switching to other forms of energy production. We’ve got to accelerate that move.
    We should do both.

Climate change is real but tackling climate change means reducing our domestic fossil fuel consumption over time, not extraction.

Consuming Qatari or Russian hydrocarbons instead of North Sea ones doesn't achieve a single thing for climate change.
    If we reduce consumption as much as we need to, then there will be a huge excess of production. New extraction developments will be economically unviable, in the North Sea, in Russia or in Qatar.

We'll just have to introduce aluminium smelting to use up all that lovely power. Just rejoice at that news.
    We should install wind and tidal with a peak generation capacity many times our needs.

In light winds our needs are still covered; when the wind blows hard use it to create (net zero) hydrocarbons:

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/hydrocarbon-renewable-energy-honeywell/

The UK is enormously rich in wind and tidal capacity.
    Tidal I agree with. If wind is many times our needs, who is going to pay for all those turbines to idle? Companies have invested to build those turbines; if they're not being paid to generate power, do they still get paid not to generate it? That's the regime at the moment. In fact they get paid more than double not to provide energy than they get to provide it. That would be a vast bill for consumers (added on to energy bills). We could cancel constraint payments (that's what I would do), forcing wind owners to find their own solutions to store power, but I am realistic that that would dampen the 'gold rush' of building wind that we have at the moment.
    Duh! You have answered you own question.

The lasted offshore wind electricity contracts are being won by generating companies committing to 4.8p per kWh.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/analysis-record-low-price-for-uk-offshore-wind-is-four-times-cheaper-than-gas/

(Edit: it's now actually ten times cheaper than gas)

This is only going one way.

Investing in hydrocarbons from excess electricity will be a great way to maximise the benefit of wind capacity.
    Um, there is no 'Duh' warranted except for the very basic concept that you have failed to grasp. Wind is currently booming because whatever happens, wind providers are guaranteed money; in many instances, free money. Stop that free money, and you get diminishing returns and therefore investment, especially as more and more capacity gets added to the system, which is what you want. You won't get investors adding that wind capacity if half the time they won't get paid. Do you understand that, or shall I draw a diagram?
    And when do you imagine such a time will come ?

By the time we have the amount of capacity you're talking about, we will also have multiple HVDC interconnects with Europe, along with a substantial base of electric vehicles, and a growing menu of options for energy storage.

The point of having excess generating capacity at effectively zero marginal cost is that markets will find a way of utilising it. In the meantime, incentives to make installation of capacity make sense both economically and strategically.
    But your post is full of suppositions.

Firstly, you're supposing that those interconnects work as they should - this has proven time and again not to have happened - a huge project, multiple billions paid for by the taxpayer via the national grid, for a new West Coast interconnect to link Scottish Wind Farms to English power users, has never worked as it should.

Secondly, you're supposing that continental power users will want our power exactly when we're at capacity due to high wind. Why? Is it not more likely that it will be windy there too?

Thirdly, you're supposing that people will be able to coordinate their car charging easily with times of high wind. Perhaps they will, perhaps an alert via their mobile phone can buzz to advertise cheap power, but will they be at home? Will the wind last a full charge? Charging at night makes sense, charging when windy makes a lot less sense.

Fourthly, you're supposing that the much mooted 'energy storage options' will kick in, but why would they? We have the technology to store this power now, and the schemes are ready to break ground, but at this time, there's not enough profit in it. And whilst wind providers are conpensated so amply for not producing power, why would this be?

At some point, constraint payments will need to reduced, and eventually cease. At that point, watch investors flee. At the moment we have an industry where the ulimate guarantor is the taxpayer - the boom around student accommodation is another. These are not booms based on reasonable assessment of risk and reward, they are based on guaranteed free money.
    Interconnect it’s have had problems in certain projects.

We are currently exporting electricity on a pretty fair scale via interconnectors, though.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    The Royal Family
    @RoyalFamily
    The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon.

The King and The Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow.

Ah.

That will not be at all controversial...
    The Queen announced she wanted Camilla to be Queen consort earlier this year.

It shouldn't be controversial.
    I hadn't forgotten.

@TSE may not agree...
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,140
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Some overview of the forthcoming ceremonies..

Jeez. Perhaps very selfish, but I'm presently in Edinburgh and want to catch a train back south tomorrow, so I hope that bit doesn't play out too quickly if so.
    I *think* you'll be OK. You need the special train to Edin, then the formal announcement and the lying in state, and so on. I can't see the move south happening before Sunday or Monday?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/national/operation-unicorn-what-is-operation-unicorn-what-happens-if-the-queen-dies-in-scotland-3836443
    Further to that, looks as if the train will go south from Edinburgh something like Monday night, if Op Unicorn is adhered to and if I don't miscount. Which, happily, would miss the train strikes.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/operation-unicorn-plans-if-queen-dies-scotland
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Louis XIV looking pretty unassailable now
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

new reign

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Louis XIV looking pretty unassailable now

Although about 8 years of his reign was a regency.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    King Charles? We might be better off with one of his plants. I gave up on him over fifty years ago. Away with the fairies then.
    I'm going to get the anthem wrong so many times now.
  • Bloody hell imagine being in the PMs job for 2 days and having this statement to make.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735

Poor, poor Boris Johnson. He missed being Prime Minister at a key point in history by 48 hours.

fuck 'im
  • Long live the King.
  • Mexican Pete and Scottxp once again show how brain dead they are
This discussion has been closed.