Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

AlistairM said:

This is incredible, folks. Balakliya has been retaken. I think the next main goal is Kupyansk — the key railroad and automobile transportation center between Russia and northern and central Donbas. Sever this GLOC and Russians are in the world of shit.
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1567909502770462720

When does the weather change in Ukraine, such that you wouldn’t want to be an occupying force with crap logistics lines?
    It’ll be back to mud by the end of this month, and freezing by the middle of November.
    Dare we hope that this is the beginning of the end?

I don’t get my hopes up any more, but it does look like we might be seeing the start of a withdrawal around Kharkiv and Kherson. The enemy appears to be running out of men and materiel, and as we saw in April it needs to withdraw, regroup, and concentrate on their more strategic areas of objective.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Ukrainians clearly very confident. This is an adviser to Zelenksy:

Currently, Russia is getting a perfect real time history lesson in various directions, including Kharkiv. A lesson that should be imprinted in future generations at the level of an unconditional reflex. It has only one clause:
    1. Never look towards the Ukrainian border. Never…

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1567914337255452672
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MISTY said:

GIN1138 said:

Maybe while Meghan and Kate are staying at Windsor without their husbands they might meet up and start trying to sort out some of this nonsense.

Would you want to have talks with someone who insinuated on Prime time TV in America that bigotry was alive and well in your extended family?

Many people would, yes, to ensure the bigotry was dealt with and didn't happen again.

Shooting the messenger is the alternative.
    Recollections may vary. Meghan isn't a trustworthy source, we know that.
    The problem to the ongoing rift is less which side is being entirely truthful, since recollections do indeed vary, but that the rift is in the interests of Harry and Meghan as it keeps focus on them, and the others have no benefit to healing it either since to meet Harry and Meghan halfway would involve them in an issue they don't want to open up.
    Meanwhile any attention on members of the family who aren't Prince Andrew won't be on Prince Andrew.
    dixiedean said:

The news must get a little less "newsy" soon.
    Mustn't it?

The family arrived half an hour ago. The idea of the 6pm announcement doesn’t seem particularly implausible.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    You have to feel for the news reporters having to fill all this time with no further updates .
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

YouGov 80% in favour of the energy proposals but 54% say too little help and 68% want more windfall

Sir Keir speaks for the nation.
    Keir hasn't explained how he intends to tax Norway and Qatar, until he does it's bullshit.
    Doesn’t matter, the public likes it.

Think of it like the bull crap Boris Johnson used to come out with and public loved.
    We saw how that worked out for Boris, though.
    He got to be Prime Minister for three years. I'd call that a success.
    I was thinking about this the other day. He got Brexit over the line and bedded in (like it or not) and in doing so he outlasted PMs like Eden, Bannerman, Brown, Chamberlain, and Callaghan. He lasted only a year less than Heath.

Basically, he gets his history book chapter and will be viewed as having made the weather from 2016-2022. I think that, in time, he’ll be ok with that.

Heath won an election against the odds, got us into the EU, made the political weather, steered the country through a coal strike, and outlasted Eden, Chamberlain, Bonar Law, Baldwin and Derby.

Was his career a success? Was he, in time, 'OK with that?'
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    ydoethur said:

biggles said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

YouGov 80% in favour of the energy proposals but 54% say too little help and 68% want more windfall

Sir Keir speaks for the nation.
    Keir hasn't explained how he intends to tax Norway and Qatar, until he does it's bullshit.
    Doesn’t matter, the public likes it.

Think of it like the bull crap Boris Johnson used to come out with and public loved.
    We saw how that worked out for Boris, though.
    He got to be Prime Minister for three years. I'd call that a success.
    I was thinking about this the other day. He got Brexit over the line and bedded in (like it or not) and in doing so he outlasted PMs like Eden, Bannerman, Brown, Chamberlain, and Callaghan. He lasted only a year less than Heath.

Basically, he gets his history book chapter and will be viewed as having made the weather from 2016-2022. I think that, in time, he’ll be ok with that.

Heath won an election against the odds, got us into the EU, made the political weather, steered the country through a coal strike, and outlasted Eden, Chamberlain, Bonar Law, Baldwin and Derby.

Was his career a success? Was he, in time, 'OK with that?'
    Fair point. He should have been.

• Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

The family arrived half an hour ago. The idea of the 6pm announcement doesn’t seem particularly implausible.
    I think it will be something like. 'We have just received news from Buckingham Palace that, at 3:43 pm the Queen has died, surrounded by her family, the Duke of etc etc'.

Probably sound a bit better than that, but I think that will be it.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

AlistairM said:

This is incredible, folks. Balakliya has been retaken. I think the next main goal is Kupyansk — the key railroad and automobile transportation center between Russia and northern and central Donbas. Sever this GLOC and Russians are in the world of shit.

When does the weather change in Ukraine, such that you wouldn’t want to be an occupying force with crap logistics lines?
    It’ll be back to mud by the end of this month, and freezing by the middle of November.

I don’t get my hopes up any more, but it does look like we might be seeing the start of a withdrawal around Kharkiv and Kherson. The enemy appears to be running out of men and materiel, and as we saw in April it needs to withdraw, regroup, and concentrate on their more strategic areas of objective.
    Even if things stall a bit after what looks like promising liberations from Ukraine, it does seem to paint a vivid picture that Russia should really have just concentrated on Donetsk and Luhansk in the first place. Even if they take longer to oust from other bits like along the south coast, the cost has been enormous even if you, for example, halve many estimates.
  • interesting from tonight's Redfield Wilton

All Net Approval Ratings
    (7 August):
    Liz Truss: -1% (NEW)
    Keir Starmer: -3% (+2)

Changes +/- 4 September

In our first poll since Liz Truss became Prime Minister, the Labour Party maintains its 12-point lead over the Conservatives, the joint-highest lead for Labour that we’ve recorded. However, perhaps in part due to a willingness to see how she will fare, Truss has reclaimed a marginal 2% lead in head-to-head polling against Labour Leader Keir Starmer for better PM of the UK.

So far, the majority of voters have yet to make up their mind on their new Prime Minister. 54% of voters say they are neutral or undecided about her performance thus far, suggesting that her opening speech on Tuesday and yesterday’s PMQs have not yet swung the electorate in one direction or another. Her net approval stands at a narrow -1%.

How Liz Truss fares will depend largely on how well she navigates the country through the difficult months ahead. Illustrative of the urgency of the problem, an astonishing 78% of voters say they are ‘very’ or ‘fairly’ concerned (as opposed to only ‘somewhat’ or ‘not at all’ concerned) about their ability to pay their energy bills this winter, up from 63% who said so only two weeks ago.

The scale of Government intervention to help alleviate the worst effects of increasing energy prices and how those interventions are to be paid for will be a key dividing line between the Conservatives and Labour. As such, yesterday’s first encounter between Truss and Starmer at Prime Ministers Question’s was instructive, as it illuminated a key ideological difference between the two on tax
  • dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

Not now Antichrist..
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,827
    Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

I think it will be something like. 'We have just received news from Buckingham Palace that, at 3:43 pm the Queen has died, surrounded by her family, the Duke of etc etc'.

She won't be pronounced dead until they are all there.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

Good job they didn't bother with that for her Dad.
    She was in Kenya.
    I take it you mean announced?
  • nico679 said:

You have to feel for the news reporters having to fill all this time with no further updates .

Especially given they clearly know more but can't say it. Anyone who accidentally lets the news slip will have the footage go viral for the rest of their life
    dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.
    Not necessarily. They will all be there today, the doctors may delay declaring her dead until everyone has arrived so they can say she died with the whole family around her.
    Its like the not being able to die in the HoC thing, the official time of death does not always equals expiration
    boulay said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

I imagine she will be/has been pronounced dead when she’s dead. Will be majorly awkward if they pronounce her dead when they are all there and she’s not dead.

Well, yes
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    A strange suspension of the news at the moment. Meanwhile, nothing on Leon''s progress wandering the desert, either..
  • IshmaelZ said:

Ardent Republicans should have the decency to crawl under a stone at times such as these.

Piss off Walty, entirely unnecessary and inappropriate.
    Getting a ghost of the ghost of Harry Flashman vibe here, smarting from his team’s bleaching by Ajax nae doot.
    Not all royalists support Rangers.

From Zelensky advisor Podolyak:

Strange proposals by certain figures to mediate between 🇺🇦 and 🇷🇺 should be considered as an attempt to use 🇺🇦 topic in order to recover their name in their own countries. Any mediator must have trust, authority, relevance. For sure neither Berlusconi nor Merkel has it. For what?

https://twitter.com/podolyak_m/status/1567836264434466816

If it's only WHO the mediator will be that's the problem, he should find an acceptable one within the hour. Antonio Guterres's office would be able to suggest some names.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

IshmaelZ said:

Ardent Republicans should have the decency to crawl under a stone at times such as these.

Getting a ghost of the ghost of Harry Flashman vibe here, smarting from his team’s bleaching by Ajax nae doot.
    Indeed - they support Queen’s Park Rangers
  • theakestheakes Posts: 839
    Apparently body will lay at Holyrood first, then by rail, East Coast line to London. Thought it might have come West Coast line and proceed through the conurbations in Lancashire and the West Midlands.
    I remember the funeral of George VI, that was a very morbid, sombre affair, somehow I do not think the Queen will have requested that, it may be a lighter affair.
    Understand London has issued the Local authorities with the protocols to be followed.
    I am a republican but understand and respect the general consensus, she has done a good job and I suspect at times advised the odd prime minister in a sensible manner, Boris Johnson ouch.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132

IshmaelZ said:

And not all royalists heap abuse on those who merely don't agree with them.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Thoughts and prayers with the Queen and her family at this time.

Of course if the worst happens Charles will become King immediately with preparations for his coronation waiting until after the period of national mourning and state funeral
  • Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

AlistairM said:

There's been some talk in recent weeks about how it would help Ukraine to demonstrate that they can defeat Russia on the battlefield and liberate occupied territory before winter sets in and the pressure to stop the war with the current front lines grows.

They are looking good for that at the moment, provided they don't end up overextending themselves in Kharkiv.
  • BBC Radio 4 busy telling us about how the monarchy is "at odds with society", which values "equality, diversity, inclusivity", while the monarchy is "about white inherited privilege", at odds with our "multi-faith, multi-ethnic society".

Great work from our national broadcaster.

https://twitter.com/sashworthhayes/status/1567913657257918466
  • https://twitter.com/RochdaleHerald/status/1567918111210483712

"Queen declared fit to work after Atos work capability assessment"

Atos don't do it any more, it's Maximus

BBC Radio 4 busy telling us about how the monarchy is "at odds with society", which values "equality, diversity, inclusivity", while the monarchy is "about white inherited privilege", at odds with our "multi-faith, multi-ethnic society".

If I were you, I'd check *when* that was broadcast - and indeed if. And who did. It might be quoting someone else.

You don't want to be too quick off the mark with your wokefinding, after the last time.
    boulay said:

Dynamo said:

MaxPB said:

Is there any political impact do we think?
    Will Liz Truss’s Premiership be indelibly marked?

We have often talked about the psychological rupture about to be experienced, the sense of “falling into the future”. Will that colour how people think of Liz Truss?

Quite the opposite, it could be the making of her politically if she plays it well. It's exactly the kind of event that marks a reset in people's opinions and Liz Truss could come out of the other side with a lot of credit she may not have otherwise got. Crises, inevitably, play well for politicians, even Boris got a COVID bounce despite all of the disorganisation and confusion surrounding lockdowns, PPE and the rest of it. The reason it didn't stick was Boris. If Liz can avoid partying on the Queen's grave I think she'll do well and can show she's a serious leader, not a comedian.
    It would be nice if it drew a line under the lazy, NYT-style "Britain is a laughing stock" era of international coverage too.
    If someone doesn't want to be viewed as
    something, it's advisable that they not be it.
    Absolutely right - if for example someone didn’t want to be seen as a Russian troll then it’s advisable that they not be one.

4 "likes" from the girls. You are so witty and have such a penetrating mind, @Boulay.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,566
    edited September 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Another bit of energy stuff, it seems as though the proposal is to decouple gas prices from electricity, that immediately brings a lot of relief and will act as an effective "windfall tax" on domestic electricity producers who have been charging at the marginal cost of gas. I'd like to see a European approach to this, the UK has been invited by the EU into a temporary energy pricing alliance which to me seems like a good idea.

There's going to be some interesting contract law with all this I guess? Lawyers having a field day? But we are at war so stuff must be done.
    Luckily in this country parliament is sovereign and primary legislation does mean something. If the government uses an act of Parliament to amend contracts then there's really not much that the likes of SSE can do about it.
    Isn’t it more a negotiation to forestall a windfall tax ?
    I get the impression that the energy companies have been leading rather than being led ?
    There was talk of long term agreements in exchange for cutting the price.

And in any event, a voluntary modification of contacts is far preferable (on both sides) to Parliament legislating to set them aside.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited September 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Folk who choose the moniker WalterWhite tend to be both though
  • Gone 6pm and no announcmenet
    6pm. No announcement.
    Honestly, where did the BBC dig up Witchell? What a lot of nonsense he’s talking.

IshmaelZ said:

Folk who choose the moniker Walter White tend to be both though
    What's the allusion? It escapes me - I assume not the NAACP gent.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

I like your avatar. The sort of dog that if you run it over on the way in to work, you know that whatever happens your day has not been completely wasted.
    Carnyx said:

BBC Radio 4 busy telling us about how the monarchy is "at odds with society", which values "equality, diversity, inclusivity", while the monarchy is "about white inherited privilege", at odds with our "multi-faith, multi-ethnic society".

If I were you, I'd check *when* that was broadcast - and indeed if. And who did. It might be quoting someone else.

You don't want to be too quick off the mark with your wokefinding, after the last time.
    They were interviewing someone about 20 mins ago on R4 - was listening to it a little surprised - and that is what was said.

Dynamo said:

boulay said:

Dynamo said:

MaxPB said:

Is there any political impact do we think?
    Will Liz Truss’s Premiership be indelibly marked?

We have often talked about the psychological rupture about to be experienced, the sense of “falling into the future”. Will that colour how people think of Liz Truss?

Quite the opposite, it could be the making of her politically if she plays it well. It's exactly the kind of event that marks a reset in people's opinions and Liz Truss could come out of the other side with a lot of credit she may not have otherwise got. Crises, inevitably, play well for politicians, even Boris got a COVID bounce despite all of the disorganisation and confusion surrounding lockdowns, PPE and the rest of it. The reason it didn't stick was Boris. If Liz can avoid partying on the Queen's grave I think she'll do well and can show she's a serious leader, not a comedian.
    It would be nice if it drew a line under the lazy, NYT-style "Britain is a laughing stock" era of international coverage too.
    If someone doesn't want to be viewed as
    something, it's advisable that they not be it.
    Absolutely right - if for example someone didn’t want to be seen as a Russian troll then it’s advisable that they not be one.

4 "likes" from the girls. You are so witty and have such a penetrating mind, @Boulay.
    Sick burn Dynamo
    Six o'clock theory fucked
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,800
    Carnyx said:

I was listening to it (about 17:20 or so I think) - it was some professor of history or other. A little jarring in the circumstances, but whatever.
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

They were interviewing someone about 20 mins ago on R4 - was listening to it a little surprised - and that is what was said.

Ah, that's better, thanks - we have a clearer picture. But that's about the institution and UK political structure. Not about the incumbents.
  • I've just returned from a long and rather lovely liquid lunch to find PB awash with posts. Is something occurring?
    nico679 said:

Feel for those of us who normally listen to the news while commuting.

I've just returned from a long and rather lovely liquid lunch to find PB awash with posts. Is something occurring?

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    Maybe there's no news. Her Majesty is ill but thankfully still with us, and Leon is sheltering from the desert winds in a cave house, arabic-style bandana round his mouth, managing to build his strength for the return journey home.
  • Sandpit said:

I've just returned from a long and rather lovely liquid lunch to find PB awash with posts. Is something occurring?

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    Shows how much Morrissey knows.
  • Prince Harry is running late apparently.
    Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    As far as we know.

Leon had a liquid picnic somewhere in the middle of FA in Portugal. We are wondering where he is at present.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    IshmaelZ said:

Six o'clock theory fucked

Edwards and Witchell clearly know to expect something. Also note that Myring took over for a bit, I presume to let Edwards prep.
    The Sky corredspondant saying only Harry is 'missing' in a very 'we expect some news when he shows up' way
  • I've just returned from a long and rather lovely liquid lunch to find PB awash with posts. Is something occurring?

We assume the Queen's family are making their final farewells to our Head of State.
    Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    Huw Edwards must be going mad - forced wrongly to wear a black tie which does nothing for his complexion and for no reason.
  • Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    Bloody hell, there's a lot of posts for a not-happened-yet event.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2022

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.
    Not necessarily. They will all be there today, the doctors may delay declaring her dead until everyone has arrived so they can say she died with the whole family around her.
    Its like the not being able to die in the HoC thing, the official time of death does not always equals expiration
    I listened to TRIGGERnometry last night, with Andrew Doyle.

This is a curious example of an institution strongly associated with the traditional right, redefining the meaning of word “died” to suit their own agenda.

Redefining the meaning of words is, ironically, what a decent chunk of the right get unreasonably angry about when trans people “redefine gender.”

Left and right, traditional and progressive, everyone is playing the game. Perhaps ‘‘twas ever thus?

Does truth matter to anyone any more?

What is truth?

Answers on a postcard.
  • Only moments away I think.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

Prince Harry is running late apparently.

He shouldn't be blamed for Meghan's hair appointment running late.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

I was listening to it (about 17:20 or so I think) - it was some professor of history or other. A little jarring in the circumstances, but whatever.
    If the last few years have taught us anything, it is that nothing - global pandemics, war, death, football - should ever distract us from the urgent task of calling everyone racist.
    ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

This is a curious example of an institution strongly associated with the traditional right, redefining the meaning of word “death” to suit their own agenda.

Which is, ironically, what a decent chunk of the right get unreasonably angry about when trans people “redefine gender.”

Left and right, traditional and progressive, everyone is playing the game. Perhaps ‘‘twas ever thus.

ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

This is a curious example of an institution strongly associated with the traditional right, redefining the meaning of word “death” to suit their own agenda.

Which is, ironically, what a decent chunk of the right get unreasonably angry about when trans people “redefine gender.”

Left and right, traditional and progressive, everyone is playing the game. Perhaps ‘‘twas ever thus.

Just reflecxting, coincidentally, that the Royal Birthdays are also redefined. Though I have not had enough interest in the matter to understand quite how or why. You know, such things as firing off old Great War 18-pounders in Hyde Park or the river frontage of the Tower of London.

ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

Left and right, traditional and progressive, everyone is playing the game. Perhaps ‘‘twas ever thus?

Nobody is dead until declared dead by a doctor. Hence millions die every year some time before reaching hospital and being declared 'dead on arrival' etc
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    At this point Edwards and Witchell sitting in sombre silence until the announcement would be more informative and a better use of airtime.

The Sky corredspondant saying only Harry is 'missing' in a very 'we expect some news when he shows up' way

Well he wasn’t on the Royal flight, and if he’s making his own way there it’s going to be a few hours yet.
  • Carnyx said:

Which last time?

• Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    "I'm not dead!"

https://youtu.be/dGFXGwHsD_A
  • DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 703
    edited September 2022
    1st bouquet already laid outside Buckingham Palace apparently.

Is a sovereign's funeral always a weekday (and presumably a national holiday if so)?

At this point Edwards and Witchell sitting in sombre silence until the announcement would be more informative and a better use of airtime.

Better still, just Edwards.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,273
    BBC news sounds excruciating. They obviously think or know HM is dead but can't say.

How are they going to fill the time?
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

R4 - this evening.
    It’s a fairly accurate quote - except it was from the middle of an account of how HMQ has managed to retain the respect and affection of the majority of the nation, throughout her reign, even as society has changed in ways completely at odds with the idea of inherited position.
  • Sandpit said:

Well he wasn’t on the Royal flight, and if he’s making his own way there it’s going to be a few hours yet.
    Sky said he was due to land at the air base about quarter of an hour ago, so not that much longer I suspect. Perhaps an hour?

Carnyx said:

Which last time?

That Children's Hospital nonsense. You were quite insistent I was wrong. But it's all bollocks as I said.
  • Just had slightly robust words with youngest child who cannot understand why her Uni might cancel Freshers Week events.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Seems such a rapid deterioration since Tuesday.

Common thinking is that many think she’s already passed?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    edited September 2022
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    The news broke around midday that there is no news, and there has continued to be live reporting on the lack of news ever since. The BBC is so sure there will continue to be no news that it has cancelled all other programming on BBC1 in order to keep us informed that there is no news.
    They should run an episode of "Have I Got No News For You".

BBC news sounds excruciating. They obviously think or know HM is dead but can't say.

They could discuss proposed energy policy?

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    One can only assume, that the specific form of words used in the Palace statement was a hint to the broadcasters, that the event was imminent.

Huw Edwards wearing his black tie for a false alarm, does appear rather presumptive.
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

R4 - this evening.
    It’s a fairly accurate quote - except it was from the middle of an account of how HMQ has managed to retain the respect and affection of the majority of the nation, throughout her reign, even as society has changed in ways completely at odds with the idea of inherited position.
    Ah - thanks. That's very interesting.

Typical wokefinding. Just like that American children's hospital.
    ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

This is a curious example of an institution strongly associated with the traditional right, redefining the meaning of word “died” to suit their own agenda.

Redefining the meaning of words is, ironically, what a decent chunk of the right get unreasonably angry about when trans people “redefine gender.”

What is truth?

Answers on a postcard.
    They haven't said she is alive, tbf, they have said she is comfortable which is compatible with death. I assume if she were conscious she would be in good spirits, so she isn't.
    biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    The news broke around midday that there is no news, and there has continued to be live reporting on the lack of news ever since. The BBC is so sure there will continue to be no news that it has cancelled all other programming on BBC1 in order to keep us informed that there is no news.
    It's as awkward as the live text of a test match that is inevitably going to be rained out.
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

What is truth?

Answers on a postcard.
    They haven't said she is alive, tbf, they have said she is comfortable which is compatible with death. I assume if she were conscious she would be in good spirits, so she isn't.
    Or compatible with being alive but sedated and not conscious.
  • biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    If she doesn't die (which I hope is the case), then we should all sing this:

Oh, the Grand old Queen of England,
    She had four grand old children,
    She marched them up to Balmoral Castle,
    Then marched them down again...

Nothing has changed since 1871…
    “Across the wires the electric message came:
    He is no better, he is much the same.”
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited September 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

dixiedean said:

Unpopular said:

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Mustn't it?

She was in Kenya.

What is truth?

Answers on a postcard.
    Comfort does imply prostrate and probably unconscious, yes, I’m afraid. Not sure it implies dead, I have heard doctors talk about dying patients as being kept “in comfort” or “comfortable” but not ones that have already passed on.

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    If she doesn't die (which I hope is the case), then we should all sing this:

Oh, the Grand old Queen of England,
    She had four grand old children,
    She marched them up to Balmoral Castle,
    Then marched them down again...
    She's decided to start engaging in really intense practical jokes. Such japes, Maam.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I like your avatar. The sort of dog that if you run it over on the way in to work, you know that whatever happens your day has not been completely wasted.
    Who's entirely unnecessary and inappropriate now?
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Sandpit said:

Her Majesty isn’t dead.
    It's as awkward as the live text of a test match that is inevitably going to be rained out.
    They'd better hurry up or it'llend up getting announced on the regional news.
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Which last time?

That Children's Hospital nonsense. You were quite insistent I was wrong. But it's all bollocks as I said.
    "All bollocks"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scottish-doctors-approved-breast-removal-for-51-trans-teenagers-qvkmz8r2c

"Scottish doctors approved breast removal for 51 trans teenagers"
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Nigelb said:

Nothing has changed since 1871…
    “Across the wires the electric message came:
    He is no better, he is much the same.”
    Regrettably we appear to be in serious danger of copying the Queens grandfather's last days. At least with her father although we knew he was very ill, his death came as a surprise. After all his successor was away in foreign parts at the time.
    Sarah Jane giving the game away on Sky
    'We're just waiting for Harry to arrive' theyve obvs been told an update will follow once everyone is there
    We'll know if things are truly serious if the Daily Star does a non joke headline.
  • A lot of worldwide coverage. This page, if my accumulated Greek is correct, says the whole world's media is covering it :

https://www.tovima.gr/2022/09/08/world/kyriarxoun-sta-diethni-mesa-enimerosis-oi-ekselikseis-gia-tin-vasilissa-elisavet/

Just had slightly robust words with youngest child who cannot understand why her Uni might cancel Freshers Week events.

I have some sympathy with her there.
    I don't want the Queen to die. I like the queen. But what good does cancelling everything do anyone?
    If the death is announced this evening, I will mark the sad occasion by drinking too much.
This discussion has been closed.