Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Don't think focusing on the plane disembarkment with the super-zoom lens was in good taste. This is a family in mourning who will have to go through multiple public appearances in the next few days, they should be afforded some privacy.
  • pm215 said:

Looks like 10 days of parliament closure after Bridge, the cabinet meet with the new monarch during the period

Now this seems pretty bad to me -- they've just had a big summer holiday pause while they sorted out a new PM. There must be a lot of stuff backlogged, and delaying it further can't be ideal.
    One would imagine there is no “ideal” time for the death of the monarch.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

There's a flight with 7 members of the Royal Family. Guessing William and Co.

Arriving around 10 mins time.

Eggs and basket come to mind.
    Probably some of them are equerries and things, rather than actual Things of the Blood.
    Oh I was getting my hopes up I might become king.
    I wonder who on PB is closest related to the line of succession? Perhaps the much missed Charles of this parish?
    Please let it be Malcolm.

Bound to be one of the banned people.
    Most important question - what would Malcolm’s regnal name be?

Malcolm IV and I, obviously.
    Just IV surely? Protocol is the monarch takes the highest appropriate regnal number
  • Who was the last monarch to die in Scotland?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836

Oh f*** off Witchell!

Has to be Auntie for this but he is a tough watch. My tip - when he's on make a special effort to relax your buttocks.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    kle4 said:

OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.

There is a claim of Shevchenkove being liberated, a photo of Ukrainian soldiers on the western outskirts of the place.

Yesterday the Russians were saying Shevchenkove was where reinforcements had been sent. I hope the Ukrainians have enough reserves to secure their lines of communication. They're a long way from their rear areas now.
    Yes, the Russians could still punch back.
    Indications the Russians could be in general retreat in the North.

Another pessimistic account from a Russian source saying that Russian forces are abandoning not particularly well-fortified positions. It says Ukrainian forces read Suvorov and are bypassing towns and urban fights to advance deeper behind Russian lines.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567719876353036295
    pm215 said:

Looks like 10 days of parliament closure after Bridge, the cabinet meet with the new monarch during the period

Now this seems pretty bad to me -- they've just had a big summer holiday pause while they sorted out a new PM. There must be a lot of stuff backlogged, and delaying it further can't be ideal.
    Most stuff will get waved through without much debate or dropped until a new session. The key stuff will eat up the time available - CoL etc
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926

pm215 said:

Indeed not, but there is also no necessity to shut everything down for ten days when it happens.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,692

pm215 said:

Especially for the monarch.
  • kinabalu said:

Got a feeling she's going to pull through.

We have been through this with our father in law here in our home, and once medical intervention occurred it was only a few hours later he died very peacefully while we were holding his hand
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    Nigelb said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

Isn't it royal tradition to have the Witchell entombed with the deceased monarch ?
    How long has he been doing this now? 30 years?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited September 2022
    pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Indeed not, but there is also no necessity to shut everything down for ten days when it happens.
    Probably not.
    A week would seem more reasonable.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008
    Nigelb said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

Isn't it royal tradition to have the Witchell entombed with the deceased monarch ?
    That was the case only up to the Thirteenth Dynasty.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

Has to be Auntie for this but he is a tough watch. My tip - when he's on make a special effort to relax your buttocks.
    I remember that moment when Charles was caught describing him as "that awful man" when on a skiing trip, in the 90s it was I think.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

Who was the last monarch to die in Scotland?

Queen died at Hampden Park in 1988 if that counts. Freddie had lost his voice and Brian May got his hair caught in his guitar.

(This might not be true).
  • Is it too dark to wonder if Netflix will extend The Crown to Season 7 or 8 to reach the 'end' of the story?

Certainly a lot of material for the final couple of seasons if they do.
    pm215 said:

pm215 said:

They could just cancel the conference recess
  • pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    I assume the time is dependent on the period lying in state and the funeral
  • Sarah Jane Mee in black
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

AlistairM said:

OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.

There is a claim of Shevchenkove being liberated, a photo of Ukrainian soldiers on the western outskirts of the place.

Yesterday the Russians were saying Shevchenkove was where reinforcements had been sent. I hope the Ukrainians have enough reserves to secure their lines of communication. They're a long way from their rear areas now.
    Good news coming out of Ukraine on what is looking like being a terrible day for the UK.
    The Queen played a role in the iconography of the first phase of the defence of Ukraine.

That’s brilliant! There does appear to be continuing good news coming from Ukraine today, thankfully.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Is it too dark to wonder if Netflix will extend The Crown to Season 7 or 8 to reach the 'end' of the story?

It hasn't been good post Claire Foy anyway.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Listening to radio 4 because i want to get the news prefaced by "this is London." Rather good programme about the maths of pi.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Nigelb said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

I thought he had been. Dis-entombed as necessary!
  • Controversially, I think Olivia Colman was a good Queen. I hate her in everything else, but I thought that last series v good.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Strangely this tweet has been deleted

Yes I know it's not in the greatest taste
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

I remember that moment when Charles was caught describing him as "that awful man" when on a skiing trip, in the 90s it was I think.
    Good judgement from Charles :smile: .

On the Beeb they have gone into burble-furble-burble mode. Time for a walk.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,111

James V.
  • Nigelb said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

I thought he had been. Dis-entombed as necessary!
    A bit like Michael Bublé who was entombed years ago but emerges from his crypt 1 December each year.

Controversially, I think Olivia Colman was a good Queen. I hate her in everything else, but I thought that last series v good.

She was good in the Aberfan episode but otherwise not really. Gillian Anderson stole the show IMO, absolutely brilliant as Mrs T.
  • boulay said:

Queen died at Hampden Park in 1988 if that counts. Freddie had lost his voice and Brian May got his hair caught in his guitar.

(This might not be true).
    James V?
  • FPT:
    theProle said:

OnboardG1 said:

dr_spyn said:

dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I really hope she recovers, but if HMQ were to die in Scotland, that would be "interesting"

Why?
    Special procedures, I think trains are involved.
    There would be something entirely fitting about a funeral cortège moving down the ECML allowing people the length of the country to pay their respects.

Would be a bugger for train schedules, but it would be symbolic.
    Pulled by Flying Scotsman, Mallard or a Deltic. Would be beautiful. Thoughts with HMQ and her family today, feeling very sombre.
    Mallard definitely.
    Definitely not I'm afraid. Mallard is not in running condition. It can be hauled along the tracks, but it can't haul anything.
    Is 'Princess Elizabeth' available? It was named after her, and is mainline certified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Royal_Class_6201_Princess_Elizabeth

Oh, and the look magnificent.

But it has to be a loco that is immediately available on her death. We'll probably get a 68 or 60 ... :(
    Clan Line or Duchess of Sutherland might be available to haul a funeral train.
    It seems an odd thing to be discussing, but please let it be the Duchess of Sutherland. A magnificent loco, and the most powerful class of steam locos ever to run in Britain. If only it was streamlined, as Duchess of Hamilton looks spectacular.

And thanks to the poster below for info. on Princess Elizabeth.
    2 x Stanier Black 5 locomotives would also do the job.
    I’m going to be extremely annoying and advocate for an HST. All these steam locos are wonderful machines, but the HST is the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan Age.
    That's actually a good shout. I think it would be very fitting, and operationally much easier.
    I'd be okay with an HST but I'd dispute that they are the railway symbol of the new Elizabethan age, as they weren't introduced until after her silver jubilee! A first generation diesel like a Deltic would be more fitting IMHO.
    Deltics were a failure though. They lasted twenty years. They were a dead-end piece of tech.

HSTs have lasted (so far) 45-odd. Well over half her reign. They were also typically British - an afterthought, a compromise, that turned out to be far more successful than the 'better' thing they were playing second-fiddle to. I think one also still holds the world speed record for diesels?
    Deltics a failure?! Ahead of their time I think you mean. And with two Napier Deltic high speed diesel engines based on marine tech there's a Royal Navy link too.
    I am as big a fan of the HST as anyone - they are probably our best ever train from a passenger POV - I just think they were introduced too late in her reign to be the appropriate choice.
    But the powers that be will probably go with a double header of a couple of big freight locos attached to the regular royal train, because they have no soul.
    If you want all the best bits of a Deltic, in a form that has now been holding bits of the rail network together for over 60 years, rather than the 20 the Deltics managed, surely you go for a pair of 37s.
    Whilst I admire your choice, HMQ should not be associated with PURE FILTH!
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,692

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

The BBC kept him in that role. Probably to wind Chaz up
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Sarah Jane Mee in black

A hot dinner date after work?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,143
    edited September 2022
    "Prime Minister has no plans to go to Scotland." - Sky

Her work there is done.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    @Leon is going to love this one:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/circle-truss-story-behind-lizs-favourite-necklace/

”To my knowledge, no brand has stepped forward to claim it – but her office confirms it was a gift from her husband

“So the necklace is a symbol of Truss’s political ascent. And there are also subconscious reasons that Truss might be so fond of this necklace. Circles symbolise eternity, wholeness and perfection. A never-ending hoop is used to signify unbroken love and commitment, whether on a wedding band or as part of a necklace. On a subconscious level, humans are drawn to the geometry of a perfect circle; it’s a universal symbol that spans cultures and centuries, representing everything from the perpetuity of time to the potential of the digit zero. “[The circle] has a magical value as a protective agent, and indicates the end of the process of individuation, of striving towards a psychic wholeness and self-realisation,” wrote Nadia Julien in The Mammoth Dictionary of Symbols.

“Perhaps Truss is striving towards a psychic wholeness. Or perhaps the Circle of Truss has become like a second skin, a no-brainer accessory that she reaches for every morning. Like most jewellery, there’s probably an element of sentimentality – in fact one would hope so, given the giver. But it’s clear that she’s found the one that works, and she’s sticking with it. A works-with-everything accessory that serves as a wearable reminder of your career highs so far – isn’t that what every woman wants in her jewellery box?”
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598
    More proof that the monarchy is a deeply cruel concept – human beings forced to live like goldfish in a bowl, never free from the peering eyes of an obsessed public.

In an alternative universe, a frail old lady who has lived a good life is spending her last days with family in dignity – and privacy.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    MaxPB said:

Controversially, I think Olivia Colman was a good Queen. I hate her in everything else, but I thought that last series v good.

She was good in the Aberfan episode but otherwise not really. Gillian Anderson stole the show IMO, absolutely brilliant as Mrs T.
    Colman was miscast as HMQ. Ruined the last series.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,578
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

As I recall some people tried to claim that a private remark to his children about how awful a journalist was, was somehow proof that he shouldn’t be king…
  • OT Steve Bannon indicted on state charges over the charity where he pretended he was going to build a border wall and scammed donors out of a load of money. Originally there were federal charges, and Trump pardoned him, but this time it's the state bringing the charges, and they're subtly different to the federal charges he was pardoned for.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/after-being-pardoned-by-trump-in-federal-we-build-the-wall-fraud-case-steve-bannon-reportedly-faces-related-state-charges/

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    Nothing should be forcibly closed by state fiat – what a ludicrous idea. Those individuals and businesses that want to pay their respects by shutting up shop are free to do so.
    The BBC's live news page is desperate. They have just had a piece on "News starting to trickle through in Windsor", about how most people have been staying in because of the rain but some ventured out and overheard castle staff saying the Queen was not well.

A live news feed is a bit pointless, given that nothing will be known until we hear the one piece of news we are waiting for, and then nothing else will be particularly relevant.
    TOPPING said:

Ominous: nothing from @Leon for 20 minutes.

Do you think he's begging for water from that German tourist?

Begging for his life perhaps. He said he was going over to thump him.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

Charles and Truss are going to see eye to eye on absolutely nothing, I suspect.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    MaxPB said:

Is it too dark to wonder if Netflix will extend The Crown to Season 7 or 8 to reach the 'end' of the story?

I stopped watching it when it got to the part that I remembered what happened, because at that point the inaccuracies would have annoyed me so much it wouldn't have been worth it...
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    The red arrows have just flown over. I will let you know if they trail black smoke.
  • Chris said:

The BBC's live news page is desperate. They have just had a piece on "News starting to trickle through in Windsor", about how most people have been staying in because of the rain but some ventured out and overheard castle staff saying the Queen was not well.

A live news feed is a bit pointless, given that nothing will be known until we hear the one piece of news we are waiting for, and then nothing else will be particularly relevant.

They are watching and filming the arrival of various members of the Royal famiiy
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah but middle aged HMQ is a tough one to cast, especially after Claire Foy being so good at it. Even Vanessa Kirby was a really tough act to follow as Margaret. Helena Bonham Carter was just okay in the role.

The Crown suffers from seasons 1 and 2 being so good that following them up with a cast change was always going to be tough, I thought Tobias Menzies carried the show until Gillian Anderson showed up in season 4. Emma Corrine was good too.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited September 2022
    One understands that the Garter King of Arms steps on to the Proclamation Gallery overlooking Friary Court at St James's Palace and reads the proclamation of accession issued by the Accession Council.

• eek said:

Meh. Dark humour. The last person outside the bubble who was in direct contact with the Queen was Truss.
  • What is the actual protocol?
    Is tomorrow a bank holiday in the UK?
  • pm215 said:

pm215 said:

I forget the details, but doesn't a new Monarch have to open a new session of Parliament?

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    Nothing should be forcibly closed by state fiat – what a ludicrous idea. Those individuals and businesses that want to pay their respects by shutting up shop are free to do so.
    Nothing is forcibly shut
  • pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    I was referring to Parliament.
    Surely Britain doesn’t close for two weeks???

What is the actual protocol?

Funeral day, government can plan for that at least. Then coronation day probably next spring.
    Interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/08/we-have-already-lost-far-right-russian-bloggers-slam-kremlin-over-army-response

(Apols if already posted - I've been hopping up and down Lake Como all day. No need to bring your own wine here, just saying.)
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    IshmaelZ said:

Listening to radio 4 because i want to get the news prefaced by "this is London." Rather good programme about the maths of pi.

Is that the one which mentions the fact that some people in the United States about 100 years ago wanted to redefine pi as 3.2?
  • MaxPB said:

Funeral day, government can plan for that at least. Then coronation day probably next spring.
    Would the funeral be on a weekday or at the weekend? So used to the idea of funerals being at weekends that the idea of a bank holiday for one seems odd.
  • Next year will be a big one for events in the UK. Coronation AND Eurovision
  • Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed. The actor who played Charles was brilliant though; more than compensated.
  • Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Agreed. The actor who played Charles was brilliant though; more than compensated.
    The actress who played Diana was pretty good too I thought.
  • MaxPB said:

I wonder when that might be (assuming today is the day she passes). Week after next? It'll take time for all the setting up and arranging the visit of heads of state. I assume Biden would have to come plus many others. London will be locked down for it.

I'll be in Greece for it if thats the case.

No. The funeral isnt either as it stands. There are no holidays
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,543

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

I remember that quite vividly - watching it with a complex mix of emotions.

Distaste for the obvious snobbery from Charles; interest that he discussed Witchell with his children; genuine embarrassment on Witchell's behalf... while agreeing completely with the judgment. All the while finding the entire thing hilarious.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2022

Next year will be a big one for events in the UK. Coronation AND Eurovision

Save costs. Combine the two. Charles douze points.
  • Dynamo said:

One understands that the Garter King of Arms steps on to the Proclamation Gallery overlooking Friary Court at St James's Palace and reads the proclamation of accession issued by the Accession Council.

Doesn't the town crier of the City of London announce "The Queen is dead. Long live the King!"
  • Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

The actress who played Diana was pretty good too I thought.
    Charles and Diana were excellent.
    Gillian Anderson was a caricature of Thatcher.
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Is that the one which mentions the fact that some people in the United States about 100 years ago wanted to redefine pi as 3.2?
    Yup. Indiana. They actually legislated it.
    MaxPB said:

10 days after she dies
    Dynamo said:

The Politico article someone linked to earlier says that is the day after the monarch;s death:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/queen-elizabeth-death-plan-britain-operation-london-bridge/
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,181
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

There's a flight with 7 members of the Royal Family. Guessing William and Co.

Arriving around 10 mins time.

Eggs and basket come to mind.
    Probably some of them are equerries and things, rather than actual Things of the Blood.
    Oh I was getting my hopes up I might become king.
    I wonder who on PB is closest related to the line of succession? Perhaps the much missed Charles of this parish?
    I was quite interested when I found out I was directly descended (through legitimate offspring, indeed) from King John.
    I then did some maths and found that the odds of being of broadly British descent and NOT being descended from King John are roughly 44 billion to one. So less exciting than I thought.
    It's still impressive to be able to prove it.

Assuming no adultery babies along the way
    I take no particular credit for the discovery.
    One of my grannies always insisted that one of her grannies used to insist that she was descended from Welsh princes.
    When my Dad retired, he got quite into researching his family tree. And it turned out that there was some sort of truth in there: an ancestor from the 1840s was a Manchester gentleman who was in turn descended from the minor aristocracy of Anglesey. And once you trace your ancestry back to an aristocrat, the genealogy is quite well recorded. Some of my ancestors were the MPs of Anglesey (again, though, British history is so long and families branch so widely that it is likely that pretty much everyone is descended from MPs.)
    Interestingly, this was probably the branch of the family from the wrongest side of the tracks. There is social mobility in both directions in this bit of the family.
  • Interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/08/we-have-already-lost-far-right-russian-bloggers-slam-kremlin-over-army-response

(Apols if already posted - I've been hopping up and down Lake Como all day. No need to bring your own wine here, just saying.)

Wonderful memories of holidays at Lake Como with our three children in the 1970s

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

I forget the details, but doesn't a new Monarch have to open a new session of Parliament?
    If there's a new monarch and it's a king, QCs will have to get their stationery changed.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,836

kinabalu said:

Got a feeling she's going to pull through.

We have been through this with our father in law here in our home, and once medical intervention occurred it was only a few hours later he died very peacefully while we were holding his hand
    Not something I've ever experienced, rather amazingly since I'm 62 and from quite a big family.

However my wife's dad was on the edge (at 94) and she flew to join the family for the end, but 3 weeks later she was back and he was still alive. Died 2 years later at 96.

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    I was referring to Parliament.
    Surely Britain doesn’t close for two weeks???
    Oh I see, apologies, fair enough.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Driver said:

MaxPB said:

I stopped watching it when it got to the part that I remembered what happened, because at that point the inaccuracies would have annoyed me so much it wouldn't have been worth it...
    Agreed. I got up to the end of the 60s (series three?) then had to stop. I was born in the early 80s but even so it started to feature people I knew too well to accept in caricature.

• MaxPB said:

10 days after she dies
    So maybe Monday 19th if today is the day?
  • Dynamo said:

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

If there's a new monarch and it's a king, QCs will have to get their stationery changed.
    Perhaps for convenience Charles should self-identify as Charlotte and then they can remain QCs?
    edited September 2022

eek said:

Meh. Dark humour. The last person outside the bubble who was in direct contact with the Queen was Truss.
    And Truss was wearing that talisman around her neck too.
    BANG

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    Nothing should be forcibly closed by state fiat – what a ludicrous idea. Those individuals and businesses that want to pay their respects by shutting up shop are free to do so.
    Nothing is forcibly shut
    But will there be an announcement over the tannoy in Tesco's?

Chris said:

They are watching and filming the arrival of various members of the Royal famiiy
    Yes, and quoting some public figures saying they are concerned, and others saying everyone will be very sad when the Queen dies.

MaxPB said:

10 days after she dies
    So maybe Monday 19th if today is the day?
    Yep
  • Next year will be a big one for events in the UK. Coronation AND Eurovision

I wonder if any new recipe will become as well-known as coronation chicken.
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Oh f*** off Witchell!

I remember that quite vividly - watching it with a complex mix of emotions.

Distaste for the obvious snobbery from Charles; interest that he discussed Witchell with his children; genuine embarrassment on Witchell's behalf... while agreeing completely with the judgment. All the while finding the entire thing hilarious.
    Calling that snobbish, is like people who call you sexist if you call T Coffey f*t, even if you have called phatboi fat 1,000 times as often. I'd be pretty fucked off with someone whose job was to stalk me round the world doing pieces to camera about me.
  • Dynamo said:

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

That will piss off my QC mate for whom the honour has so far been an expensive boondoggle.

Let's try and offend some other country like France this time. Coronation Baguette made out of rice flour or something.

Interesting:

Wonderful memories of holidays at Lake Como with our three children in the 1970s
    It's still very lovely. I am surprised about how young most of the tourists are - I was expecting most to be old codgers like us but there are plenty in their 20s. Mercifully, no evidence of east asian tour groups - one small benefit of covid, I guess.
    IshmaelZ said:

Rutherford and Fry are excellent.

MaxPB said:

I wonder when that might be (assuming today is the day she passes). Week after next? It'll take time for all the setting up and arranging the visit of heads of state. I assume Biden would have to come plus many others. London will be locked down for it.

I'll be in Greece for it if thats the case.
    "London will be locked down for it"

No, it won't. Nine million of us live here and have work to do.

Granted, a small area of town near the abbey or wherever they hold the funeral will be 'locked down' – but that is on a rather different scale.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    boulay said:

The red arrows have just flown over. I will let you know if they trail black smoke.

Do they get ceremonially shot down then?

• solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

More proof that the monarchy is a deeply cruel concept – human beings forced to live like goldfish in a bowl, never free from the peering eyes of an obsessed public.

In an alternative universe, a frail old lady who has lived a good life is spending her last days with family in dignity – and privacy.

It must be weird for the Queen to know "London Bridge" is a thing.
  • MaxPB said:

Let's try and offend some other country like France this time. Coronation Baguette made out of rice flour or something.
    Dare I say Coronation Pizza?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,181

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    When her daughter-in-law died - this being in the infancy of the internet - the natural home of nutters was the radio phone in. I remember some nutter phoning radio 5 to say that to mark the death of Princess Diana, the M1 should be closed for the weekend.
    What a nutter, we all thought.
    They didn't close it for the weekend, but they did close it for Saturday.
    They probably won't attempt quite that sort of overreach again, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Cookie said:

pm215 said:

pm215 said:

Probably not.
    When her daughter-in-law died - this being in the infancy of the internet - the natural home of nutters was the radio phone in. I remember some nutter phoning radio 5 to say that to mark the death of Princess Diana, the M1 should be closed for the weekend.
    What a nutter, we all thought.
    They didn't close it for the weekend, but they did close it for Saturday.
    They probably won't attempt quite that sort of overreach again, but I wouldn't rule it out.
    Did they really?

Golly.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    eek said:

Alright for a joke amongst friends and anonymously in forums, but for a brand on Twitter, probably not
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Yes, and quoting some public figures saying they are concerned, and others saying everyone will be very sad when the Queen dies.
    And now a piece telling us it is raining at Balmoral.
This discussion has been closed.