Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• There's a flight with 7 members of the Royal Family. Guessing William and Co.

Arriving around 10 mins time.
  • kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Am I the only one who is genuinely worried that we might be facing Leon-don Bridge? A 15km hike in hot sunshine with only a bottle of warm white wine to drink doesn't sound very wise.

In the dark days ahead we are going to need his unmatched powers of hysteria and searching Twitter to establish if Truss gave the Queen covid.
    And we all told him to do the walk. WE ALL KILLED LEON. On today of all days.
    Leave me out of it, I told him to be lazy.

I'll visit you lot in prison.
    And I suggested that Boris wouldn't have done the walk but written an article anyway, which is almost as good.

I'll bake you a cake with a file in it.
  • Is this thread celebrating the life of HMQ, or Leon, or both?

Asking for a friend.

So it's a thread about the Queen or a Drama Queen.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

There's a flight with 7 members of the Royal Family. Guessing William and Co.

Eggs and basket come to mind.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    RobD said:

Probably some of them are equerries and things, rather than actual Things of the Blood.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,260
    Ok this was quite stupid. Only bringing white wine
  • Leon said:

Ok I’m getting quite drunk now. Because my only liquid in this desert is an excellent but warm white wine. That’s fine isn’t it? That’s good fieldcraft?

AND NOW I RISE, LIKE LEONS AFTER SLUMBER

Why not find a bit of a shade until the sun gets a bit coooler in an hour or so, and you've still got enough light and time to get back. Hot sun and alcohol aren't a good mix.
    I would like to associate myself with this sentiment, if only to obtain a lesser sentence.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    RobD said:

7 members of the Royal Household was what I heard.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    TOPPING said:

Is it appropriate to say I am actually looking at London Bridge right now. At the actual London Bridge.

That's an astonishing coincidence - if it is a coincidence.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    Good grief about half of us know someone who could give us a heads up. In my case I know a Royal Protection Officer. However I don't care that much to get information 10 minutes before anyone else and having quizzed him before he never gives away personal stuff. Nearest I ever got was a story of Andrew saving a cat from falling out of a window.

Leon said:

Ok I’m getting quite drunk now. Because my only liquid in this desert is an excellent but warm white wine. That’s fine isn’t it? That’s good fieldcraft?

AND NOW I RISE, LIKE LEONS AFTER SLUMBER

Why not find a bit of a shade until the sun gets a bit coooler in an hour or so, and you've still got enough light and time to get back. Hot sun and alcohol aren't a good mix.
    I would like to associate myself with this sentiment, if only to obtain a lesser sentence.
    Definitely a good idea, not just a sentiment!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Leon said:

Wait til you hear what religion the pope is.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    Somehow appropriate that HM is in Scotland today, after that beautiful old adaptation of Sunset Song on BBC4 that was on last night, that I mentioned. Very lyrical and poetic, and also made at that slow pace that the BBC once mastered - perhaps still available on iplayer for those interested.

RobD said:

7 members of the Royal Household was what I heard.
    Ah, the expendable ones. ;)
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    RobD said:

William is not allowed to fly with all of his children on one plane - for the obvious reason!

The plane is the same one that Liz Truss took the other day.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Leon said:

Water would have been much wiser! Not iced water either
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

As some dark humour as one of the most significant national moments in our lifetimes nears, I hate to say it but it really does give off the impression that she was just holding on until she got rid of Boris!

On that note surely someone needs to get Liz Truss an audience with Putin pdq
    kjh said:

Good grief about half of us know someone who could give us a heads up. In my case I know a Royal Protection Officer. However I don't care that much to get information 10 minutes before anyone else and having quizzed him before he never gives away personal stuff. Nearest I ever got was a story of Andrew saving a cat from falling out of a window.

Reminded me of this lovely anecdote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85cvrCWMSQ
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    Leon said:

Absolutely. Rose would have had that little bit more sugar to keep you alert.
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Probably some of them are equerries and things, rather than actual Things of the Blood.
    Oh I was getting my hopes up I might become king.
    To come back to politics for a minute - what’s the timetable for the legislation that’s being introduced today, how urgent is it?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Leon said:

Forgot the red?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Bit weird, if she has indeed died, that the BBC is telling us that The Queen "is comfortable and resting".

With her faith, if she is gone she will be in a place of comfort to her.
    And reunited with Philip.

(Although, that assumes he made it upstairs....)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    Leon said:

Pretty sure that’s a fucking GERMAN down there

SMILING

He’s SMILING even as our QUEEN is DYING

I’m going to knock his block off

Maybe wine and hiking dont mix, who knew?
  • kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

I wonder who on PB is closest related to the line of succession? Perhaps the much missed Charles of this parish?

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Bit weird, if she has indeed died, that the BBC is telling us that The Queen "is comfortable and resting".

How much purgatory do you get for dodgy jokes?

(I know its 100 years for every bad pun)
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

William is not allowed to fly with all of his children on one plane - for the obvious reason!

That's a bugger if he fancies a cheap Tui family holiday.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

I wonder who on PB is closest related to the line of succession? Perhaps the much missed Charles of this parish?
    My Nan was convinced we had royal blood. Wuffingas, maybe.
    My great grandmother was in service at Sandringham

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Please let it be Malcolm.

edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Is it appropriate to say I am actually looking at London Bridge right now. At the actual London Bridge.

You in Lake Havasu City, Arizona?

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

My mum looks quite like the Queen.
    boulay said:

As some dark humour as one of the most significant national moments in our lifetimes nears, I hate to say it but it really does give off the impression that she was just holding on until she got rid of Boris!

The Iron Assassin.
  • boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Bound to be one of the banned people.
    boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Dura Ace has a 'secret heir' vibe to me.
    RobD said:

kjh said:

Reminded me of this lovely anecdote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v85cvrCWMSQ
    Yes it's brilliant.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,284
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Pretty sure that’s a fucking GERMAN down there

SMILING

He’s SMILING even as our QUEEN is DYING

I’m going to knock his block off

Maybe wine and hiking dont mix, who knew?
    Wine and hiking is okay as long as you have lots of water as well.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    One of the things that surprised me on marrying into a Jewish family was how (broadly speaking) overtly royalist the community is. Most synagogues have a picture of the Queen (and say a shabbat prayer for her as standard), and my kids' school sing God Save The Queen in assembly - something I certainly never did.

My mother in law will be very upset at all this.
    kle4 said:

boulay said:

The Iron Assassin.
    World leaders start postponing first meetings with Liz T…
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

How much purgatory do you get for dodgy jokes?

(I know its 100 years for every bad pun)
    That is going to be quite a pb waiting room then.
    boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

He's very horsey.

On an unrelated matter I see that a major concern of London Bridge is that, during the possible ceremonial, London might get just too full - and presumably also the travel routes in and out.
    edited September 2022

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

That's a bugger if he fancies a cheap Tui family holiday.
    Apparently they turned up to meet HMQ one day a couple of years ago, all five of the family in the same helicopter, that William was piloting - the old lady was said to be less than amused!

Plane landed now.
  • It goes without saying but the BBC definitely know something. They are reporting this with a definite air of finality it is sad to say.

There is no way the national broadcaster would be taking such a tone if they hadn’t had some kind of heads up. I mean we can all read the tea leaves with the family being there also but even more instructive is the way things are filtering out.
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

He's very horsey.

On an unrelated matter I see that a major concern of London Bridge is that, during the possible ceremonial, London might get just too full - and presumably also the travel routes in and out.
    Don't worry, the train strikes will see to that.....
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Have you ever seen them in the same room?

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Most important question - what would Malcolm’s regnal name be?

• kle4 said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Dura Ace has a 'secret heir' vibe to me.
    So much kinder than 'basement baby'.

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Does Danny Dyer post on here?
    Ghedebrav said:

One of the things that surprised me on marrying into a Jewish family was how (broadly speaking) overtly royalist the community is. Most synagogues have a picture of the Queen (and say a shabbat prayer for her as standard), and my kids' school sing God Save The Queen in assembly - something I certainly never did.

Presumably they weren't such huge fans when Edward the whatever it was kicked them all out.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Leon said:

You went for 15k walk in 30c heat and didn't think it would perhaps be a good idea to bring some water to at least wash down the vino blanco?
    Scott_xP said:

Her final act of National Service.

And you just know he will hate it.

Forever, the history books will record that her first PM was Churchill, and her last was NOT BoZo.
    Bozza must be spitting tacks. Gutted for him.
  • OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.

There is a claim of Shevchenkove being liberated, a photo of Ukrainian soldiers on the western outskirts of the place.

Yesterday the Russians were saying Shevchenkove was where reinforcements had been sent. I hope the Ukrainians have enough reserves to secure their lines of communication. They're a long way from their rear areas now.
  • I hope the security services are well prepared for potential foreign interference from bad actors trying to take advantage of the upheaval.

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

He's very horsey.

Don't worry, the train strikes will see to that.....
    Actually, there is a gap between 17 and 26 September. But you have to allow a day either side for trains to get back in place.
  • Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Is this thread celebrating the life of HMQ, or Leon, or both?

Asking for a friend.

He provides the comic relief while we wait, as per Shakespeare?
    The rude mechanicals...
    I was thinking of Macbeth.
    That's done it.
  • Ghedebrav said:

Don't forget the fomative period for most of the British Jewish community, on average, was about 1900 - a time of great royalism.
    Harry and his wife have landed
    TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Presumably they weren't such huge fans when Edward the whatever it was kicked them all out.
    Mind, it was the Protector who let them in again.

OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.

There is a claim of Shevchenkove being liberated, a photo of Ukrainian soldiers on the western outskirts of the place.

Yesterday the Russians were saying Shevchenkove was where reinforcements had been sent. I hope the Ukrainians have enough reserves to secure their lines of communication. They're a long way from their rear areas now.
    Good news coming out of Ukraine on what is looking like being a terrible day for the UK.

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

I was quite interested when I found out I was directly descended (through legitimate offspring, indeed) from King John.
    I then did some maths and found that the odds of being of broadly British descent and NOT being descended from King John are roughly 44 billion to one. So less exciting than I thought.
    Ukrainian soldier at the entrance to Shevchenkove.
    https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1567885354253811712
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

RAF Plane from Northolt to Aberdeen due to land in less than 10 minutes

Unrelated. There is an RAF electronic surveillance aircraft flying east-west passes across the centre of the black sea. Didnt realise we were sending units so close to the action.

Ghedebrav said:

Don't forget the fomative period for most of the British Jewish community, on average, was about 1900 - a time of great royalism.
    I think it's tied in with a sense of loyalty especially in taking in Jewish refugees during WWII and fighting Nazism.
    boulay said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Most important question - what would Malcolm’s regnal name be?

Malcolm IV and I, obviously.
    Election maps uk with the stats
    HMQs first PM born in 1874, 101 years before Truss
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Someone just said to me who goes first, klopp or the queen.

I hope the security services are well prepared for potential foreign interference from bad actors trying to take advantage of the upheaval.

Guarantee they will be.
  • Ghedebrav said:

My Sri Lankan mother in law too.
    edited September 2022
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I think it's tied in with a sense of loyalty especially in taking in Jewish refugees during WWII and fighting Nazism.
    Yes, that too. Victorian arrivals and 1930s arrivals, and a very strong identfication with Britain after that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Wasn't it Bad King John?

And Oliver Cromwell, when Lord Protector, let them back in again?
    Looks like 10 days of parliament closure after Bridge, the cabinet meet with the new monarch during the period

He's bringing Meghan to Balmoral? That can only go well.
    Cookie said:

It keeps her off Oprah for 5 minutes

TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Wasn't it Bad King John?

*google*

Edward I apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Expulsion
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

He's very horsey.

Yup, Malc loves the Gee gees.

Even if most of his tips are still running !
  • Cookie said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

I was quite interested when I found out I was directly descended (through legitimate offspring, indeed) from King John.
    I then did some maths and found that the odds of being of broadly British descent and NOT being descended from King John are roughly 44 billion to one. So less exciting than I thought.
    On the Line of Sucession is there a number where (whoever compiles and monitors it) it is decided to just say oh sod it who cares? 100 200 1000?

RAF Plane from Northolt to Aberdeen due to land in less than 10 minutes

Unrelated. There is an RAF electronic surveillance aircraft flying east-west passes across the centre of the black sea. Didnt realise we were sending units so close to the action.
    They've been doing that for months I believe. Every day either us or the US.
  • kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

My mam always reckoned that we are descended from the Kings of Tara.
    Ominous: nothing from @Leon for 20 minutes.

Do you think he's begging for water from that German tourist?
    Just called in to "see" my mum at Bridgend Crem garden of rest. If she has heard anything she didn't pass it on. I haven't called in for a few years.

Not a royalist, but HMQ passing is a seminal moment in my life. Brings back memories.
    edited September 2022
    Cookie said:

It'll be what the Queen has asked for, otherwise I doubt very much that it would be happening.

TOPPING said:

Ghedebrav said:

Wasn't it Bad King John?

Just looked up King John on wikipedia. Apparently it was strongly suspected he was an atheist.
    Always find it interesting when historical figures like that were atheists. I'm an atheist, but being an atheist in the 21st century requires no particular courage or originality of thinking; it's broadly the norm. More courage needed to openly profess your faith as a Christian. But a different matter in the 13th century.
    Turns out it was William, Andrew, Edward and Sophie on the plane
    There were only four Royals on that plane.
    William
    Andrew
    Edward
    Sophie.
  • kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

So did mine.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    70013 Oliver Cromwell is unavailable to haul any royal trains.
  • Hmmm.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Turns out it was William, Andrew, Edward and Sophie on the plane

They’re commenting that no Sussexes on board !!
    Cookie said:

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

It's still impressive to be able to prove it.

Assuming no adultery babies along the way
    Oh f*** off Witchell!

kjh said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

My mam always reckoned that we are descended from the Kings of Tara.
    Im fairly set on declaring myself Raedwalds heir and the new bretwalda

OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.

Yes, the Russians could still punch back.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926

Looks like 10 days of parliament closure after Bridge, the cabinet meet with the new monarch during the period

Now this seems pretty bad to me -- they've just had a big summer holiday pause while they sorted out a new PM. There must be a lot of stuff backlogged, and delaying it further can't be ideal.
  • dr_spyn said:

70013 Oliver Cromwell is unavailable to haul any royal trains.

Kind of apt...
    Got a feeling she's going to pull through.
  • Announcement will be made once the family have all arrived. So an hour to get those who've just landed from Aberdeen airport to Balmoral, and then just waiting for the Sussexes.
This discussion has been closed.