Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
God save the Queen – politicalbetting.com

All the Queen’s four children are now with her at Balmoral Castle. Along with her grandson, the Duke of Cambridge.This is a serious situation. #queen #queenelizabeth pic.twitter.com/6fWzhHxLol

Read the full story here

Comments

• A friend of a friend works in the Cabinet Office, and says we should expect a further announcement at 6pm today.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    God save the Queen
  • I guess the Queen is pretty much, by some way the most famous and most permanent person in the world. It will be a different world without her.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Jesus Christ - writing NEW THREAD like that on the previous thread.

Well looked at quickly you know what NEW THREAD looks like don't you. Jeez have a thought for the readers.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Hear, hear.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    No Meghan, this doesn’t mean there’s a vacancy.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    Something quite interesting happening on the live feed on beeb of balmoral entrance. A chap has just driven up from inside the estate in a van and is now taking down a No Entry sign by the gate.

I can think of any reason except that it looks garish against the entrance area so if the worst has happened and they have photos of the hearse coming out then they want it more somber?

Until a few mins ago there was a red “no entry” plus another sign below where I have marked.

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    To be honest I would rather we found out instantly, rather than hours of speculation.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117

Am I the only one who is genuinely worried that we might be facing Leon-don Bridge? A 15km hike in hot sunshine with only a bottle of warm white wine to drink doesn't sound very wise.

It is a bit like the Rab C. Nesbit approach to climbing Ben Nevis. Only hot rather than cold.
  • boulay said:

Something quite interesting happening on the live feed on beeb of balmoral entrance. A chap has just driven up from inside the estate in a van and is now taking down a No Entry sign by the gate.

I can think of any reason except that it looks garish against the entrance area so if the worst has happened and they have photos of the hearse coming out then they want it more somber?

Until a few mins ago there was a red “no entry” plus another sign below where I have marked.

There's no chance if she's passed they will move her out of Balmoral until they have all the plans and people in place.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    GIN1138 said:

God save the Queen

King?

GIN1138 said:

God save the Queen

King?
    Not yet.
  • A friend of a friend works in the Cabinet Office, and says we should expect a further announcement at 6pm today.

Just been denied on BBC. But who knows.

boulay said:

There's no chance if she's passed they will move her out of Balmoral until they have all the plans and people in place.
    Absolutely but why would they be moving a garish red sign “now” from the entrance to Balmoral which will have the world’s press winging their way to?

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    boulay said:

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/yn/fkygq9edohzc.jpeg" alt="" />

Oh yeah, just rewound it.

Unfortunately, looks like staff following major event protocol.
  • GIN1138 said:

God save the Queen

King?
    To paraphrase Gough Whitlam, Ladies and gentlemen, well may we say 'God Save the Queen', because nothing will save the monarchy under King Charles
    Sandpit said:

boulay said:

img src="https://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/yn/fkygq9edohzc.jpeg" alt="" />

Oh yeah, just rewound it.

Unfortunately, looks like staff following major event protocol.
    Indeed, giving the hacks something to film and expound learnedly upon.
    Bit weird, if she has indeed died, that the BBC is telling us that The Queen "is comfortable and resting".
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,815
    edited September 2022
    The only people who can possibly know the Queens status right now are her doctors and family. Once an announcement is made it is a rigid process. Queens private secretary phones the PM and then it is communicated via emergency broadcast to the beeb and world media whilst an announcement is pinned on Buckingham palace gates. Bbc and news channels will all cut to black tie announcement and Truss will address parliament.
    There is no 'shes gone but keep it under your hat for now'
  • The only people who can possibly know the Queens status right now are her doctors and family. Once an announcement is made it is a rigid process. Queens private secretary phones the PM and then it is communicated via emergency broadcast to the beeb and world media whilst an announcement is pinned on Buckingham palace gates. Bbc and news channels will all cut to black tie announcement and Truss will address parliament.

Officially
  • OT video on the twitters of the Ukraine flag flying over Balakliya, the town the offensive yesterday surrounded on 3 sides. Claims of fighting getting close to Kupiansk, the key road/rail hub.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

RobD said:

To be honest I would rather we found out instantly, rather than hours of speculation.

I think we have found out.

There won't be an announcement until the family have gathered and so it should be.

Respect for Her Majesty, like TSE not a royalist but Her Majesty has served with honour and distinction and we will not see her like again.
    If we could chose or invent our monarch, we could never have done better. Our greatest most beloved Queen was absolutely brilliant from the start, and never faltered from brilliance.
    As AlastiarM already posted says it all.
    “the Nation's mum, and then granny. Always looking out for you and with kind words.”

😞
    No disrespect to Queenie, but I think any random person plucked out of obscurity, with a decent work ethic would have been just as good.

The fact that she kindof was plucked out of obscurity meant she was better than-than-your-average monarch, relative to past kings/queens.

She always treated her position as a privilege. Expectant heirs have a nasty tendency to treat it as a right and take the piss, in various ways.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    TOPPING said:

Bit weird, if she has indeed died, that the BBC is telling us that The Queen "is comfortable and resting".

There is probably a hierarchy of people who need to be informed before they hear it on the news.
  • The Telegraph's web site has been set to June.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    edited September 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Am I the only one who is genuinely worried that we might be facing Leon-don Bridge? A 15km hike in hot sunshine with only a bottle of warm white wine to drink doesn't sound very wise.

In the dark days ahead we are going to need his unmatched powers of hysteria and searching Twitter to establish if Truss gave the Queen covid.
    And if she did that's me hoisting your Deadpool trophy.
    (but not of course in a celebratory way)
    edited September 2022
    Now armed plod outside Balmoral gates.

This is no time for a latter day Michael Fagan.

The only people who can possibly know the Queens status right now are her doctors and family. Once an announcement is made it is a rigid process. Queens private secretary phones the PM and then it is communicated via emergency broadcast to the beeb and world media whilst an announcement is pinned on Buckingham palace gates. Bbc and news channels will all cut to black tie announcement and Truss will address parliament.

Yes, there’s a lot of protocol. No-one will know, bar a handful of family and doctors, until everyone knows.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
  • TOPPING said:

Constantly lying and concealing stuff for no good reason is at the heart of what means to have a monarchy.
  • TOPPING said:

BBC won’t know she’s died before the PM. And they will make the announcement as soon as possible after becoming aware of it.

More likely, I am sorry to say, is that it has been distributed through official channels that the queen really isn’t well and we are to “expect an announcement” - ie they know it’s coming, it’s just a matter of when.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    edited September 2022
    Fwiw, they are not flying the Royal Standard over Balmoral. That's the Royal Banner of Scotland, slightly different (it's currently flying over Holyrood palace, for example).

So, she's not in residence. Either at a cottage elsewhere on the estate, or...

• A close relative is on the list of those who receive the first phone call to activate London Bridge/Unicorn, and hasn't had it yet. But they are expecting it this evening.
    They're currently on holiday in Croatia and are scrambling to find somewhere they can use as a base for conference calls!
  • ping said:

RobD said:

I think we have found out.

There won't be an announcement until the family have gathered and so it should be.

Respect for Her Majesty, like TSE not a royalist but Her Majesty has served with honour and distinction and we will not see her like again.
    If we could chose or invent our monarch, we could never have done better. Our greatest most beloved Queen was absolutely brilliant from the start, and never faltered from brilliance.
    As AlastiarM already posted says it all.
    “the Nation's mum, and then granny. Always looking out for you and with kind words.”

😞
    No disrespect to Queenie, but I think any random person plucked out of obscurity, with a decent work ethic would have been just as good.

The fact that she kindof was plucked out of obscurity meant she was better than-than-your-average monarch, relative to past kings/queens.

She always treated her position as a privilege. Expectant heirs have a nasty tendency to treat it as a right and take the piss, in various ways.
    I think that ignores the example set by her father and the impact that had on her.

He was entirely unsuited to be King, never expected to be King and genuinely never wanted it either. He had everything going against him as far as making a success of the position and yet he did his duty.

I think seeing that at first hand and seeing the impact it had on him probably explains a great deal about her sense of duty. Anything less would have been a betrayal of his memory and, in her eyes, his sacrifice.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    TOPPING said:

With her faith, if she is gone she will be in a place of comfort to her.
    edited September 2022

Officially
    No, not even 'officially'. Nobody will get advance notice of London Bridge. They may be told its imminent but the notification and announcement is absolutely rigid protocol. If she is currently lying passed on whilst they await Harry or some such, nobody but her doctors and family know
    Eabhal said:

Fwiw, they are not flying the Royal Standard over Balmoral. That's the Royal Banner of Scotland, slightly different (it's currently flying over Holyrood palace, for example).

Now that is very interesting. The Queen is/was/who knows always been an absolute stickler for protocol. Because of course it has been her protocol, as Queen.
  • Dura_Ace said:

In the dark days ahead we are going to need his unmatched powers of hysteria and searching Twitter to establish if Truss gave the Queen covid.
    And we all told him to do the walk. WE ALL KILLED LEON. On today of all days.

I guess the Queen is pretty much, by some way the most famous and most permanent person in the world. It will be a different world without her.

I believe some languages have a word for queen, but The Queen is in English.
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Er, no. If she has died she will be dead with no "comfort" or anything like it. There will be nothing.

Dura_Ace said:

Murder on the Portgual Express

Officially
    No, not even 'officially'. Nobody will get advance notice of London Bridge. They may be told its imminent but the notification and announcement is absolutely rigid protocol. If she is currently lying passed on whilst they await Harry or some such, nobody but her doctors and family know
    And @Leon, obvs.
  • A close relative is on the list of those who receive the first phone call to activate London Bridge/Unicorn, and hasn't had it yet. But they are expecting it this evening.
    They're currently on holiday in Croatia and are scrambling to find somewhere they can use as a base for conference calls!

Glad to hear they are keeping you informed.
    edited September 2022
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Now that is very interesting. The Queen is/was/who knows always been an absolute stickler for protocol. Because of course it has been her protocol, as Queen.
    But at some point it will become the then-at-once-former Duke of Rothesay's standard.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Dura_Ace said:

Not sure about the express bit, tbh.
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Though in theory it would remain raised if the new King was there?

A close relative is on the list of those who receive the first phone call to activate London Bridge/Unicorn, and hasn't had it yet. But they are expecting it this evening.

Dammit I had a mate who was involved from HMF and they went as far as rehearsals, etc. Now left, irritatingly for my information sources.
    Sandpit said:

Yes, there’s a lot of protocol. No-one will know, bar a handful of family and doctors, until everyone knows.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
    Buf of course a lot of people will be told 'its serious, be ready in case'
  • The only people who can possibly know the Queens status right now are her doctors and family. Once an announcement is made it is a rigid process. Queens private secretary phones the PM and then it is communicated via emergency broadcast to the beeb and world media whilst an announcement is pinned on Buckingham palace gates. Bbc and news channels will all cut to black tie announcement and Truss will address parliament.

Officially
    That is 'officially'.

Being told 'its imminent' is unofficially saying it.

Dura_Ace said:

Yep, 'Joint Enterprise' sends us all down for it. Oh god.

Just been denied on BBC. But who knows.
    Never believe something until it has been official denied
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Er, no. If she has died she will be dead with no "comfort" or anything like it. There will be nothing.
    Believe it or not I am aware how death works. However she believes in heaven even I do not.

Dura_Ace said:

Evil under the sun.

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Yes that is a good point but wouldn't it (the new standard) change/be designed for King Charles (or whatever he's called)?

Dura_Ace said:

Leave me out of it, I told him to be lazy.

I'll visit you lot in prison.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    The BBC R4 coverage is just appalling taste. They have Fergus Walsh the Health Editor pontificating. FFS

Fergus sings the blues!
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yep, 'Joint Enterprise' sends us all down for it. Oh god.
    Let Him Have It.

The warm white wine, that is.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    I used to work for a company that has a Royal Warrant and has a defined roll in Project Unicorn.

But I left...

Only because I poked them and asked!
    edited September 2022

Officially
    That is 'officially'.

Being told 'its imminent' is unofficially saying it.
    Yes, but nobody will know if she has passed away already or not for example
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Off topic I know. But how much are we paying per kWh of power this winter?
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Believe it or not I am aware how death works. However she believes in heaven even I do not.
    Indeed. The wording of the statement could easily be a way of describing someone's death (especially someone with faith) without formally confirming it.
    Interesting that both BBC and GB News are showing pictures from the gate at Balmoral, but no studio shots. Are the presenters in a broom cupboard, as something is happening to the studios themselves?
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Yes that is a good point but wouldn't it (the new standard) change/be designed for King Charles (or whatever he's called)?
    Don't think so. There's no gender to the Sovereign's arms, is there? (Unless on funereal hatchments, obvs.)
    Sky black tie
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    TOPPING said:

A close relative is on the list of those who receive the first phone call to activate London Bridge/Unicorn, and hasn't had it yet. But they are expecting it this evening.

Dammit I had a mate who was involved from HMF and they went as far as rehearsals, etc. Now left, irritatingly for my information sources.

Well, you could just ask me. And I will ask my well connected friend? But your call
  • Sandpit said:

God will be the first to know
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Indeed. The wording of the statement could easily be a way of describing someone's death (especially someone with faith) without formally confirming it.
    I'm sure it isnt that, too misleading, but I'm sure her beliefs are giving or have given her comfort for this sort of thing.
    edited September 2022

Sandpit said:

God will be the first to know
    If you believe than God always knew. And always will know.
  • Sandpit said:

Yes, most Government departments have London Bridge teams who have all been told to stop their regular work to wait for further instruction. While not confirmation, this isn't the kind of thing that departments do unless they're told to do so at the highest level.
    I have a friend who would know what is about to happen and she has blocked everyone on WhatsApp and left the group chats. Quite right.
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Don't think so. There's no gender to the Sovereign's arms, is there? (Unless on funereal hatchments, obvs.)
    Ah didn't know - in my mind there are different standards but perhaps that is eg plantagenet, tudor, etc, rather than individual monarchs.
  • moonshine said:

Off topic I know. But how much are we paying per kWh of power this winter?

I got the impression from the piece I read that we don't know yet as the Truss plan involves capping the average cost to keep below £2500.

Sandpit said:

Yes, most Government departments have London Bridge teams who have all been told to stop their regular work to wait for further instruction. While not confirmation, this isn't the kind of thing that departments do unless they're told to do so at the highest level.
    The precautionary principle applies. Preparing for a likely imminent outcome.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    As much as we all seem to be relieved that Boris is no longer PM whilst all this happens, I would also like to give thanks that Corbyn is no longer LOTO.
  • The Telegraph's web site has been set to June.

Now back to today. Possibly the Telegraph messed up testing a quick switch to a prepared alternative showing bad news.
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Well, you could just ask me. And I will ask my well connected friend? But your call
    Michael Fagan? Not sure he would know.

And there are plenty of people I could ask if I could rouse myself, just that this person discussed it with me and would have had a prominent role. SO THERE.
  • As some dark humour as one of the most significant national moments in our lifetimes nears, I hate to say it but it really does give off the impression that she was just holding on until she got rid of Boris!

That's my mum's theory.
    Ok I’m getting quite drunk now. Because my only liquid in this desert is an excellent but warm white wine. That’s fine isn’t it? That’s good fieldcraft?

AND NOW I RISE, LIKE LEONS AFTER SLUMBER
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Is this thread celebrating the life of HMQ, or Leon, or both?

Asking for a friend.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Asking for a friend.

You never see them in the same room.

Pretty sure that’s a fucking GERMAN down there

SMILING

He’s SMILING even as our QUEEN is DYING

I’m going to knock his block off
  • Leon said:

Ok I’m getting quite drunk now. Because my only liquid in this desert is an excellent but warm white wine. That’s fine isn’t it? That’s good fieldcraft?

AND NOW I RISE, LIKE LEONS AFTER SLUMBER

Why not find a bit of a shade until the sun gets a bit coooler in an hour or so, and you've still got enough light and time to get back. Hot sun and alcohol aren't a good mix.

Asking for a friend.

He provides the comic relief while we wait, as per Shakespeare?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Some overview of the forthcoming ceremonies..

As some dark humour as one of the most significant national moments in our lifetimes nears, I hate to say it but it really does give off the impression that she was just holding on until she got rid of Boris!

I'd like to believe that. One last service to the nation. And no small one either.
    Is it appropriate to say I am actually looking at London Bridge right now. At the actual London Bridge.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    Carnyx said:

Asking for a friend.

The rude mechanicals...
  • RAF Plane from Northolt to Aberdeen due to land in less than 10 minutes
    Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Asking for a friend.

The rude mechanicals...
    I was thinking of Macbeth.
This discussion has been closed.