Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ladbrokes open the betting on the Truss successor – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
imageLadbrokes open the betting on the Truss successor – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Bah: is Truss's successor even born yet?

She's only 48 or so, so she has at least 30 years in the top job.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    edited September 2022
    First, like Truss?

Nah; second, like Sunak.

Congratulations to Liz. She has had the expectations bar set helpfully low by both her predecessor and her detractors; hopefully she clears it comfortably (for all our sakes).
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    Mordaunt looks reasonable value at 12.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Starmer: “there can be no justification for not freezing energy prices and imposing a windfall tax on producers”.

Other than it will break the market mechanism and lead to rationing, and disincentivise investment in boosting supply.

Bore off you dimwitted twit. We are in the midst of a once in a generation energy crisis and now have a PM who spent years working in the energy sector. Let’s see what she does.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    rcs1000 said:

Or the Tories have at least 30 years out of power after 2024 once the voting system gets changed.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited September 2022
    Edit: I can't read.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728
    Endillion said:

First, like Truss?

Nah; second, like Sunak.

Congratulations to Liz. She has had the expectations bar set helpfully low by both her predecessor and her detractors; hopefully she clears it comfortably (for all our sakes).

A 17 point lead for Labour...

Will it go up, or down?
  • Johnson, I think.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    Are the Lib Dems the big winners here? Scotland/South of England.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    AlistairM said:

Edit: I can't read.

He is.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Endillion said:

First, like Truss?

Nah; second, like Sunak.

Given everything I've heard about Liz my only expectation is that she will undershoot the bar while starring into the oncoming headlamps...
  • Lay Penny
  • If Liz Truss is the answer, we're asking the wrong question.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    Presumably today we get a very big jump in Starmer in the next PM betting simply because until now it was odds on the "next PM" would be Truss or Sunak.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Boris and Sunak both at 12 great value.
    Given that they each represent a significant faction among MP's and members.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited September 2022
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

This morning, my plane touched down at Gatwick at 9:22am, and I was at my flat in Central London at 10:45.

Thameslink + Crossrail is amazing.

Wrt Crossrail on 6th November the new section will be linked up to the rest of the line.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,813
    Come on spinners. Its not 'lowest winning margin' its 'triumphant endorsement from a party given two amazing candidates to choose from '

If Liz Truss is the answer, we're asking the wrong question.

More likely you are asking the wrong people....
    The low number for Truss also blows up her cunning IndyRef scheme.

Why should Scots meet a 60% threshold, if she only got 47%...
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,154
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

I'd lay both except that laying at 12 for a market that won't pay out for years is distinctly unappealing.

They're the David Milliband of the Tory Party now.
    Eabhal said:

South maybe yes
    Scotland nah
    "I will deliver on the energy crisis" can be read more than one way.

Lay Penny

Suits you sir
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Come on spinners. Its not 'lowest winning margin' its 'triumphant endorsement from a party given two amazing candidates to choose from '

I thought Brady's "outstanding candidates" was hilarious. The quality of British politicians has never been lower in living memory.
    JUST IN: Markets are pretty unmoved for now by the confirmation that Liz Truss will be the UK's next prime minister

The pound is trading at around the $1.15 level and benchmark 10-year bond yields are steady

Latest: http://bloom.bg/3AT2nfH https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1566759040897748992/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1566758811947368449

Shaun Lintern
    @ShaunLintern
    ·
    30s
    If Liz Truss follows through on things she has said on the NHS then we should see action on drs pensions, rebuilding
    @TeamQEH
    and other hospitals, more funding for social care and somehow sorting GP access.

Billions and billions of spending just there.

+ billions on energy bills
    + billions on social care

glw said:

I thought Brady's "outstanding candidates" was hilarious. The quality of British politicians has never been lower in living memory.
    Old Lady Brady and his bag of spare parts
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT

What time does the buyer's remorse start in Tory WhatsApp groups?

Having thought about this 57% is really bad for Truss.

First choice of less than 1-in-6 MPs but deriving her authority from an overwhelming membership mandate was her story.

Now it's unpopular with MPs, barely prefered by the membership.

So glad I held off betting on Truss percentage, I was this close to lumping on the 60-69.99 bands this morning.

I wonder if late deciders went Sunak?
    dixiedean said:

"I will deliver on the energy crisis" can be read more than one way.

Its a threat!

dixiedean said:

I'd lay both except that laying at 12 for a market that won't pay out for years is distinctly unappealing.

They're the David Milliband of the Tory Party now.
    Well.
    They need to stick around first of course.
    But if it goes tits up they'll need to be quick about it.
    If it's before the next election it's one of them I think.
    edited September 2022

Eabhal said:

South maybe yes
    Scotland nah
    Ah, I just remembered they don't have my favourite ever politician leading them anymore.

Alistair said:

FTPT

First choice of less than 1-in-6 MPs but deriving her authority from an overwhelming membership mandate was her story.

So glad I held off betting on Truss percentage, I was this close to lumping on the 60-69.99 bands this morning.

It will mean she needs to adopt a collegiate approach and have a properly functioning Cabinet.
  • On another point: it's a sign of Starmer's political stupidity that on a day when the Conservatives choose a new leader, on a date known for a month or more, he is at a school in *North London*.

He really does give the impression that he'd be PM of the middle-class Londoners, not the country.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

rcs1000 said:

This morning, my plane touched down at Gatwick at 9:22am, and I was at my flat in Central London at 10:45.

Thameslink + Crossrail is amazing.

Wrt Crossrail on 6th November the new section will be linked up to the rest of the line.
    Given I live about four minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road station, Crossrail is going to be a massive game changer for me.
  • Betting Post

F1: Backed Perez each way at 14 (with boost) to win in Monza.

The Red Bull is a beast in a straight line.
    FPT
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:
    Lewis still doesn’t get that there’s not enough supply. He can scream at the government to do something all he likes, but demand has to fall or there will be rationing and blackouts.
    No one yet is talking about how we can reduce (across Europe) demand enough to match the new supply...

And until we do that prices will continually leap up in price....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Johnson, I think.

No; the US prevents me betting even behind a VPN, but I’d expect laying Johnson to be value, as it was for Arcuri.
  • Alistair said:

FTPT

My guess is that Brady delivered this to Truss (probably by accident to be fair) by sending out ballots so soon after start of the race because of a fear about a postal strike.

If no one could have voted until say the 4th week of this it may have looked very different.

eek said:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1566758811947368449

Shaun Lintern
    @ShaunLintern
    ·
    30s
    If Liz Truss follows through on things she has said on the NHS then we should see action on drs pensions, rebuilding
    @TeamQEH
    and other hospitals, more funding for social care and somehow sorting GP access.

Billions and billions of spending just there.

+ billions on energy bills
    + billions on social care

We must stop this damaging threat to fund the NHS!
    Mason has already been breathlessly comndemning the freeze the wholesale price of energy alleged plan as it will have to be paid for. The horror.
    Labour pushing a video with Truss's comments on British workers lacking "graft" https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1566753744984936451
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    At this early point I would make Badenoch or Patel or Braverman favourite to be next Tory leader, assuming Truss still leads the party into the next election and fails to win it. One of them likely facing Tugendhat in the final 2
    @David_Cameron
    Many congratulations to new PM
    @trussliz
    . At this time of challenge & global uncertainty, I wish the new government well. I never forget the support I had from all former Conservative leaders when I won the ballot in 2005 & I hope all Conservatives will unite behind the new PM
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    glw said:

In one of the biographies I read, it was part of John Majors speech too, speaking at the announcement of his successor “with such outstanding candidates, this was an election the Conservative Party couldn’t lose.”

“Yes, because you were not in it.” An MP shouted from the front row.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    For comparison, Boris Johnson won 66.4% of the vote in 2019, David Cameron 67.6% in 2005 and Iain Duncan Smith 60.7% in 2001.
    @JustinWelby
    I am praying for Liz Truss as she takes on the great responsibilities of leadership at a time of such significant challenges.

May God guide her, and all who serve in our political life, towards His hope for our nation, and particular care for those who are vulnerable
    edited September 2022
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

South maybe yes
    Scotland nah
    Ah, I just remembered they don't have my favourite ever politician leading them anymore.

Tbf a recovery could cost the Cons a seat or two in Scotland to the SNP but they are a million miles from retaking Berwickshire or anywhere in Aberdeenshire. 2 to 3 GE/Holyrood haul for that
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,114
    edited September 2022
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

South maybe yes
    Scotland nah

No longer on our TV screens, alas. Mr C-H does not seem so fond of appearing* in farmyard, erm, birds and bees movies.

*as the unwitting commentator, etc. I hasten to add.
    @Keir_Starmer
    ·
    30m
    I'd like to congratulate our next Prime Minister Liz Truss as she prepares for office.

But after 12 years of the Tories all we have to show for it is low wages, high prices, and a Tory cost of living crisis.

Only Labour can deliver the fresh start our country needs.

@EdwardJDavey
    Under Liz Truss, we're set to see more of the same crisis and chaos as under Boris Johnson. From the cost of living emergency to the NHS crisis, the Conservatives have shown they don’t care, and have no plan.

It's time to scrap the energy price hike then call a General Election.

@NicolaSturgeon
    Congratulations to Liz Truss. Our political differences are deep, but I will seek to build a good working relationship with her as I did with last 3 PMs.
    She must now freeze energy bills for people & businesses, deliver more cash support, and increase funding for public services
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,456
    Scott_xP said:

The obvious response to the 60% threshold was there therefore wasn't a mandate for leaving the EU then. How to upset both leavers and remainers simultaneously with a policy announcement.
  • Big shout out to William Hills who settled immediately, and faster than Betfair.

Bookies have been v. fair on this one, although I wait to see (with interest) how heavily Hills will now limit my account.
    Scott_xP said:

The 60% threshold is support for indyref2 to even get a vote
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

@Keir_Starmer
    ·
    30m
    I'd like to congratulate our next Prime Minister Liz Truss as she prepares for office.

But after 12 years of the Tories all we have to show for it is low wages, high prices, and a Tory cost of living crisis.

Only Labour can deliver the fresh start our country needs.

@EdwardJDavey
    Under Liz Truss, we're set to see more of the same crisis and chaos as under Boris Johnson. From the cost of living emergency to the NHS crisis, the Conservatives have shown they don’t care, and have no plan.

It's time to scrap the energy price hike then call a General Election.

@NicolaSturgeon
    Congratulations to Liz Truss. Our political differences are deep, but I will seek to build a good working relationship with her as I did with last 3 PMs.
    She must now freeze energy bills for people & businesses, deliver more cash support, and increase funding for public services

Sturgeon isnt daft. She knows what will happen later this week.
    Davey, yep, not bad, over the target.
    Starmer - is it PMQs? Ill use my PMQs line
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,114
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

How remarkable, you have gleefully dumped the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy in favour of anyone who can fiddle an opinion poll. Your party is not fit to hold the title of 'Conservative'.
    HYUFD said:

@David_Cameron
    @trussliz
    . At this time of challenge & global uncertainty, I wish the new government well. I never forget the support I had from all former Conservative leaders when I won the ballot in 2005 & I hope all Conservatives will unite behind the new PM

Jumping the gun somewhat. The Queen might as well just call for Starmer now.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    rcs1000 said:

Don’t forget the time value of money, now we have the return of interest rates and inflation.
    IanB2 said:

For comparison, Boris Johnson won 66.4% of the vote in 2019, David Cameron 67.6% in 2005 and Iain Duncan Smith 60.7% in 2001.

The number of similarities this election result has to IDS's stint is frankly worrying...
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

@David_Cameron
    @trussliz

Jumping the gun somewhat. The Queen might as well just call for Starmer now.
    Huw Edwards has already teed up the 'they doubted Margaret in 75 too' narrative
    rcs1000 said:

I wonder if she will last 30 weeks...
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

How remarkable, you have gleefully dumped the doctrine of parliamentary supremacy in favour of anyone who can fiddle an opinion poll. Your party is not fit to hold the title of 'Conservative'.
    Sturgeon is on PB confirmed. She just tweeted that.
  • eek said:

IanB2 said:

The number of similarities this election result has to IDS's stint is frankly worrying...
    IDS at least had the decency to be useless in opposition.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,753
    HYUFD said:

At this early point I would make Badenoch or Patel or Braverman favourite to be next Tory leader, assuming Truss still leads the party into the next election and fails to win it. One of them likely facing Tugendhat in the final 2

I think that these odds might be better value when you see what Cabinet role, if any, these candidates get tomorrow. Those who don't get posts will find it very, very difficult to remain in the news for several years. Look what happened to Hunt this time.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    Is that it for the day now? Wait until tomorrow for the official take over?
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Not my position, Truss', however still her decision and that of Westminster and she has made clear she will not allow indyref2 without at least 60%+ wanting one for a year consistently and will put that in law
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    edited September 2022
    glw said:

TBF he didn't say outstandingly good.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    rcs1000 said:

Is she taking over PB then ? .. :smiley:
    edited September 2022
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think that these odds might be better value when you see what Cabinet role, if any, these candidates get tomorrow. Those who don't get posts will find it very, very difficult to remain in the news for several years. Look what happened to Hunt this time.
    Braverman set to be Home Secretary would be a good bet to be Tory Leader of the Opposition if Truss loses
    DavidL said:

Those who don't get posts will find it very, very difficult to remain in the news for several years. Look what happened to Hunt this time.

Hunt was facing 3 years of King BoZo. Nobody got a look in.

The defeated this time are facing #ThickLizzy. There will be no shortage of opportunities to regretfully point out her misfortunes to a willing press.
    edited September 2022
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

However we must remember of the three previous head to heads

Clarke - EUphile in a broadly eurosceptic or wary electorate
    Davis - fucking idiot who used big jugs to campaign
    Hunt - remainer in an age of Get Brexit Done

Sunak was just another option without the nonsense baggage as above
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

More worrying is the obvious difference - her party is in government.

Presumably she will be heading to Balmoral to kiss hands etc.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

The other part of the cunning plan was that Yes would have to get 50% plus 1 of the whole electorate, 47% not even close.

The Truss obviously carrying on the one rule for bosses and another for everyone else vibe.
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I wonder if she will last 30 weeks...
    She won't last 30 months. Either got rid of by the Tories or the electorate before then.
    HYUFD said:

The Party Membership clearly want Badenoch. The only winning bet today is Badenoch as LOTO.
    NEW: Current Deputy PM @DominicRaab says he’s not expecting to be in the cabinet.

Says he’s pretty sure he’ll be out of a job tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1566763999315857410
    Scott_xP said:

It's a return to traditional Tory values.

Them, and us.
    DavidL said:

Presumably she will be heading to Balmoral to kiss hands etc.
    Yes, that’s the plan. Johnson and Truss both meeting HM at Balmoral tomorrow.
  • DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

If Truss is smart (haha) she'll reach out.

She doesn't have Boris's mandate amongst either the MPs or the members, and she should look to build bridges.

If she doesn't then she'll have a whispering campaign going against her almost immediately, and the next 12 months will be very difficult for her.

HYUFD said:

The Party Membership clearly want Badenoch. The only winning bet today is Badenoch as LOTO.
    In a member's vote Truss would have lost to both Badenoch or PM. The most important rounds of voting were on subsequent days when the MPs knocked both of them out.
  • Scott_xP said:

Electing a leader who can be booted out at any moment is a bit different to creating a new sovereign state.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Delighted to see a Remainer in No.10.

Let's see what her first moves are. Application to join the Euro, perhaps?
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

IanB2 said:

More worrying is the obvious difference - her party is in government.
    She didn’t have much to say today.
    edited September 2022

HYUFD said:

She needs to get something substantial and she needs to run it well with some new thinking. At the moment she is a series of interesting soundbites.

Edit, education would be good for her and the government.

The chains!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited September 2022
    The good news, which accords with my experience (related on here) of good, upstanding Cons members supporting Rishi, is that not every Cons member is batshit crazy. Quite a lot of them not, if fact.

Does give some degree of hope for the future.
  • Thank you to everyone who voted for me in this campaign.

I’ve said throughout that the Conservatives are one family.

It’s right we now unite behind the new PM, Liz Truss, as she steers the country through difficult times.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1566763533093814272
  • Yup, though not clear yet what she has actually smashed.

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    AlistairM said:

The chains!

She might as well wear handcuffs and brandish a whip

Should have plenty in common with Sturgeon tho, so no lack of small talk
  • AlistairM said:

The chains!

She should walk on stage to the guitar solo from Fleetwood Mac's The Chain.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

She needs to get something substantial and she needs to run it well with some new thinking. At the moment she is a series of interesting soundbites.

Edit, education would be good for her and the government.
    Education seems a natural fit. Actually a very difficult job, hard to appear like you are winning in it?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2022
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

The "Quiet Man is turning up the volume" is still the gold standard of awful Tory leadership speeches that I use for measurement and reference, so Truss still has someway to go on this. Duncan-Smith is the executive, premium gold-standard ; Premium Bond, or Basildon Bond.
    eek said:

FPT

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:
    Lewis still doesn’t get that there’s not enough supply. He can scream at the government to do something all he likes, but demand has to fall or there will be rationing and blackouts.
    No one yet is talking about how we can reduce (across Europe) demand enough to match the new supply...

And until we do that prices will continually leap up in price....
    Yep! All the countries affected by the supply shock need to work together, to maximise supply and minimise demand over the winter.

Simply throwing billions of public money at freezing bills, does nothing to reduce demand. The package of measure needs to include deals with large consumers of energy, a public information campaign about reducing domestic energy use, and some price signals to everyone else, while not letting small businesses and those of limited means suffer from market failure.
    So our third female PM. All Tories, of course. When will Labour even give us the option of a female leader? Even the Lib Dems had a rather unsuccesful go.

AlistairM said:

The chains!

Or Under Your Thumb.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

On another point: it's a sign of Starmer's political stupidity that on a day when the Conservatives choose a new leader, on a date known for a month or more, he is at a school in *North London*.

He really does give the impression that he'd be PM of the middle-class Londoners, not the country.

Schools are facing 2 big issues: teacher recruitment and energy costs. Showing he understands that is pretty shrewd in my view.

Anyway, my drink is coming so I will leave you all.
    edited September 2022

eek said:

IanB2 said:

The "Quiet Man is turning up the volume" is still the gold-standard I refer to of awful Tory leadership speeches, so Truss still has someway to go on this. Duncan-Smith is the executive, premium gold-standard ; Premium Bond, or Basildon Bond.
    To be fair to IDS he never lost a general election, made gains in every local election he was leader and the Tories averaged about 32-33% before he was ousted in polls. He was not a great leader but if Truss did as well as IDS did even that would be somewhat of a recovery from what Survation was suggesting she would lead the Tories to today

AlistairM said:

The chains!

That would leave lots of people disappointed, who were expecting to watch the Grand Prix.
This discussion has been closed.