Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ladbrokes open the betting on the Truss successor – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Scott_xP said:

How pleased are you that Liz Truss is the next PM

22% pleased
    50% disappointed

Confidence in her cost of living policies?

19% confident
    67% not confident

YouGov all adults https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1566819013375758336/photo/1

27% of voters think Truss will be a worse PM than Boris, 14% better, 40% about the same

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1566819528155201536?s=20&t=wxPW-kLuKnv0s7lQIwcQ2g
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

Bloomberg again

Oil jumps after OPEC+ approves token supply cut and gas leaps

No idea what a token supply cut is but markets seem rattled

It was only 100,000 barrels a day (ie a token gesture) so small, but a signal they're willing to cut production.
    I was out of school the week they taught oil industry, but we don’t want OPEC to cut production right now do we?
    Not really.

But it is worth remembering that Russia has been an informal member of OPEC for a while.

It is certainly sad, though, that so many states that depend on the West for security have chosen to do something that can only benefit Putin.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss's comprehensive school was so rough they didn't even teach her to shake hands politely with the losing candidate.

The posh boys are no longer in charge of the Tories after the defeat of the Wykehamist Rishi who I am sure would have shaken hands with Truss. Truss the first state educated Tory leader since May and the first comprehensive educated Tory leader since Hague.

The posh boys are back in charge of Labour though, Starmer the first secondary school privately educated Labour leader since Blair
    Starmer went to a grammar school that converted to a private school while he was there, and his family didn't pay any fees. I don't really see how that makes him posh, compared to someone who attended a £40k/year school for instance.
    HYUFD persists with that canard about Starmer; I really don't see why. It's been demonstrated beyond doubt to him that he is wrong to suggest that Starmer was privately educated but he still keeps on about it. I suppose the only reason is that at the forthcoming general election the comprehensively educated Truss will be contrasted with the "privately educated " Starmer.
    Starmer still went to a private school ultimately converted grammar or not.

However being a comprehensive educated leader does not necessarily help win elections. We have had 2 fully comprehensive educated party leaders at general elections so far before Truss, Hague in 2001 and Ed Miliband in 2015, both lost to the privately educated Blair and Cameron respectively. May went to a combination of private, comprehensive and grammar schools and narrowly beat the grammar school educated Corbyn in 2017.

The last state educated leader to win a general election outright against a private school educated leader was Thatcher when she beat Foot in 1983 and before that Wilson against Home in 1964. Though both Thatcher and Wilson went to grammars

When Starmer entered secondary education he did so as a result of passing a competitive examination: the 11+.
    I'm pretty sure he'd have entered secondary education, however he performed in the exam.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

On reflection, and having had a soothing pastel de nata, and a glass of cold white, staring at the mighty Atlantic, I am going to cut Liz T some slack and presume she was overwhelmed by the magnitude of everything when she won. Hence her awful speech

And to be fair it must be quite seismic for her. Prime minister of the United Kingdom. THE job she probably dreamed of as a young Lib Dem. Even as she laughed at her own silly fantasies

She needs to shape up tho. No more speeches like that

She has only had 12 weeks to write that speech and prepare for this moment...
    Everyone was there to hear her, she had the nations and worlds attention not just her party, why spurn that moment like that?

As a politician you need to get yourself across, build faith in your seriousness and professionalism. As leader of a nation you have to lead it. I know people say the delivery was stilted and naff, but more importantly her team didn’t write her a speech?

It just seems a wasted moment. 🤷‍♀️
    Worse than that... maybe she did prepare for this moment, and this is Truss on a good day...

Go on. Name a good speech she has given.

(Like a lot of politicians, she's arrived at the top badly undercooked. I'm remarkably OK as a public speaker. But that's after many years of doing it five times a day, five days a week.)
    Well no, it’s not about how awful as public speaking it was, it’s how the team around her wasted the set piece moment to get important points across winning hearts and minds - it was a free hit in terms of having attention laid on, winning hearts and minds now makes it easier for the battle ahead. They should have written two strong speeches for today and tomorrow, otherwise it makes no political sense. Not to me anyway.
    I rather disagree with you about today being her opportunity to win over doubters

For me it is her speech to the country outside Downing Street tomorrow afternoon about 4.00pm as she speaks as Prime Minister for the first time
    Is there a market on whether we'll just get more meaningless soundbites badly delivered?
    The next three days will determine Truss's future

Tomorrow 4.00pm speech to the Nation

Wednesday PMQS

Thursday statement at the dispatch box
    Tories chose this girl on Monday
    Took her as PM on Tuesday
    Were regretting it by Wednesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
    Asked for BJ on Sunday
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Latest GB Voting Intention (4 September 2022) - Lab 43% (+1), Con 31% (0), LD 12% (0), Green 6% (-1), SNP 5% (+1), Refuk 3% (0)

No Truss bounce

She isn't even PM yet...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Cookie said:

North Devon's best beach:

Hard to beat the UK when the weather is this good.

Westward Ho!?
    Puttsborough/Woolacoombe.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Remarkably, Boris Johnson is now the favourite to succeed Liz Truss as next Conservative leader.

https://smarkets.com/event/42875435/politics/uk/uk-party-leaders/2025/01/01/00-00/next-conservative-leader-after-liz-truss

Lay the favourite.
    I'd rather not.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849
    At least Team Truss are good at expectations management...

UK's new PM Liz Truss wins by smaller margin than expected http://reut.rs/3TNPqfQ https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1566823809403043843/photo/1
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    edited September 2022
    The lack of confidence the polling shows for CoL measures does allow for a huge surprise on the upside (i know, i know) which would probably bed in a benefit of the doubt/pleasant surprise bounce for a bit.
    Trouble is she needs/they need to get the presentation spot on. Clear, concise and comprehensive.
    Feel lucky, punk?
  • Options
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW: Lord Frost now not expected to join Liz Truss's government.

Understand the talks over him being CDL hit a dead end over the nature of the role being limited to a Whitehall 'fixer' rather than a broader job.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1566814494134763522

How many more letters might this prompt?

God damn it I really thought the Frost talk was a joke, even in such a role.

I don't get it, I really don't - I despise JRM but at least he's an MP, there's just no need to give a lord a prominent role, even as a fixer, rather than be backup. You want to be high profile in government don't accept a peerage.
    I don't get it either.

I'm hoping Nad gets bumped up to the Lords too so she is out of the way of the frontline stuff.
    I hope she stays to finish the job on the license fee.
  • Options
    Opinion | Liz Truss looks like a fag end Prime Minister who is out of touch with ordinary voters

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-looks-like-fag-27913566
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss's comprehensive school was so rough they didn't even teach her to shake hands politely with the losing candidate.

The posh boys are no longer in charge of the Tories after the defeat of the Wykehamist Rishi who I am sure would have shaken hands with Truss. Truss the first state educated Tory leader since May and the first comprehensive educated Tory leader since Hague.

The posh boys are back in charge of Labour though, Starmer the first secondary school privately educated Labour leader since Blair
    Starmer went to a grammar school that converted to a private school while he was there, and his family didn't pay any fees. I don't really see how that makes him posh, compared to someone who attended a £40k/year school for instance.
    HYUFD persists with that canard about Starmer; I really don't see why. It's been demonstrated beyond doubt to him that he is wrong to suggest that Starmer was privately educated but he still keeps on about it. I suppose the only reason is that at the forthcoming general election the comprehensively educated Truss will be contrasted with the "privately educated " Starmer.

However being a comprehensive educated leader does not necessarily help win elections. We have had 2 fully comprehensive educated party leaders at general elections so far before Truss, Hague in 2001 and Ed Miliband in 2015, both lost to the privately educated Blair and Cameron respectively. May went to a combination of private, comprehensive and grammar schools and narrowly beat the grammar school educated Corbyn in 2017.

The last state educated leader to win a general election outright against a private school educated leader was Thatcher when she beat Foot in 1983 and before that Wilson against Home in 1964. Though both Thatcher and Wilson went to grammars

When Starmer entered secondary education he did so as a result of passing a competitive examination: the 11+.
    I'm pretty sure he'd have entered secondary education, however he performed in the exam.
    True!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Sunak rules himself out again of a job.

Told no plans to offer one either. https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1566818830416068611

That’s a bit like me ruling myself out of the running for the managers role at Bournemouth. I’d never get the job anyway.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Eabhal said:

A

North Devon's best beach:

Hard to beat the UK when the weather is this good.

Frankly pathetic compared to a standard Hebridean beach. ;)
    Or glorious Northumberland.
    Depends what you want. Puttsborough boasts a superb toilet block, and has a wonderful beach shack selling seaside stuff and excellent food, at reasonable prices. And it was empty on an August weekday.
  • Options
    I rewatched her speech, it gets worse the more you watch.

She's going to get mullered by Sir Keir 'Boring' Starmer during the debates and general election campaign.
  • Options
    We have to pray that she’s a liar. Because if Liz Truss has shown us what she's really like, we're all completely fucked.
    https://inews.co.uk/opinion/i-have-not-yet-seen-any-evidence-that-liz-truss-is-up-to-the-job-of-being-prime-minister-1834020
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2022
    John Redwood for Culture, Media and Sport, surely.

Nadine for foreign secretary, and mi'lord Frost as minister for intellectual, cultural and diplomatic development.
  • Options
  • Options

The lack of confidence the polling shows for CoL measures does allow for a huge surprise on the upside (i know, i know) which would probably bed in a benefit of the doubt/pleasant surprise bounce for a bit.
    Trouble is she needs/they need to get the presentation spot on. Clear, concise and comprehensive.
    Feel lucky, punk?

She’ll get a boost after this week (probably) because the general presentation of Truss has been that she’s anti-handout, and if there is any truth in the rumours today she is going to give everyone a whacking giant handout to pay their energy bills over winter. Hard to see how she couldn’t get a boost from that. If she doesn’t, she’s really done for.

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Scott_xP said:

Opinion | Liz Truss looks like a fag end Prime Minister who is out of touch with ordinary voters

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/liz-truss-looks-like-fag-27913566

'Scottish Labour will also sniff electoral opportunities under a Truss premiership, with leader Anas Sarwar banking on moderate SNP voters to kick out the Tories by backing his party.'

Lol, yeah, the Tories will be devastated if SNP voters in any of their 6 seats vote SLab!
  • Options

Latest GB Voting Intention (4 September 2022) - Lab 43% (+1), Con 31% (0), LD 12% (0), Green 6% (-1), SNP 5% (+1), Refuk 3% (0)

No Truss bounce

She's not even PM yet. The majority of the country will only notice tomorrow. Better to wait until after her maiden Downing St speech tomorrow, her first PMQ's and then I suspect a huge package of CoL support on thursday before you see about a bounce.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Scott_xP said:

Remarkably, Boris Johnson is now the favourite to succeed Liz Truss as next Conservative leader.

https://smarkets.com/event/42875435/politics/uk/uk-party-leaders/2025/01/01/00-00/next-conservative-leader-after-liz-truss

Who's the favourite to replace him second time round when he replaces Truss, inevitably fucks up again and is booted out again?
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

The single most important thing Liz Truss needs to do is win market confidence. We're currently seeing what happens when a nation has lost credibility, interest rates rising, currency through the floor. She needs to have a "whatever it takes" moment tomorrow about combating inflation, ensuring energy prices stay down over the next two years and stepping up investment. All of this will mean hundreds of billions in borrowing over the next 3-4 years without monetary backing. Right now the biggest government fear has got to be bond investors going on strike and yields surging.

Having a very clear 5 year plan to permanently fix energy prices is the only way forwards. Any temporary measures will just make things worse.

Hopefully Liz is headstrong enough to tell the civil service to get fucked and pushes ahead with planning reform, investment reform and decoupling electricity and gas prices.

'Planning reform'? When has she promised that, other than to make it worse?

In any case, it's obvious what PMs will do in this situation, as it is what they all do whatever their situation, and it what is the quickest and easiest way to appear to get a win.

Truss has Boris fanboys hoping she fails so he comes back and a need to quickly turn things around in the polls to restore party confidence, she doesn't have time for anything substantial or considered.
    She needs to find a way of removing any chance Bozo has of returning to number 10. That means either finding suitable evidence to remove the whip from Bozo or hoping that the Standards Committee find enough evidence to throw the book at him and suspend him for 10+ days...
    I think the standards committee might do the job for her.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Scott_xP said:

Who's the favourite to replace him second time round when he replaces Truss, inevitably fucks up again and is booted out again?
    Sir Keir Starmer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Andy Warhol
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

She's going to get mullered by Sir Keir 'Boring' Starmer during the debates and general election campaign.

She's going to need to just make PMQs as dull as hell. Just answer factually. (I think that it's the right road anyway as an engagement in banter with the opposition gives far too much away.)

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

eek said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

The single most important thing Liz Truss needs to do is win market confidence. We're currently seeing what happens when a nation has lost credibility, interest rates rising, currency through the floor. She needs to have a "whatever it takes" moment tomorrow about combating inflation, ensuring energy prices stay down over the next two years and stepping up investment. All of this will mean hundreds of billions in borrowing over the next 3-4 years without monetary backing. Right now the biggest government fear has got to be bond investors going on strike and yields surging.

Having a very clear 5 year plan to permanently fix energy prices is the only way forwards. Any temporary measures will just make things worse.

Hopefully Liz is headstrong enough to tell the civil service to get fucked and pushes ahead with planning reform, investment reform and decoupling electricity and gas prices.

'Planning reform'? When has she promised that, other than to make it worse?

In any case, it's obvious what PMs will do in this situation, as it is what they all do whatever their situation, and it what is the quickest and easiest way to appear to get a win.

Truss has Boris fanboys hoping she fails so he comes back and a need to quickly turn things around in the polls to restore party confidence, she doesn't have time for anything substantial or considered.
    She needs to find a way of removing any chance Bozo has of returning to number 10. That means either finding suitable evidence to remove the whip from Bozo or hoping that the Standards Committee find enough evidence to throw the book at him and suspend him for 10+ days...
    I think the standards committee might do the job for her.
    She'd be under immense pressure to save him though. She's been provided a pretext to do so (Boris being smarter than Paterson, and getting the gov to pay for legal advice, not just to whinge)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When he left secondary education, he also left from a private school and as even you state before that it was a grammar school not a comprehensive school.

You may not like it but the next general election will be the first time a comprehensive educated Tory leader
    has faced a privately educated
    Labour leader since Blair faced Hague in 2001. Though you can console yourself that Blair win that election
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Omnium said:

She's going to need to just make PMQs as dull as hell. Just answer factually. (I think that it's the right road anyway as an engagement in banter with the opposition gives far too much away.)

I think it would really stump an opposition to answer in relatively straightforward, but brief, fashion. At this point everyone is prepared for a back and forth, trading insults, instead just answer blandly, maybe with an ending quip about getting on and delivering to get a roar of approval, without it being constant, phoney boosting from the backbenches.
  • Options
    This thread has already had enough letters submitted to the 22 committee...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Refuk

Wonderful name for Farage's latest vehicle.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

On reflection, and having had a soothing pastel de nata, and a glass of cold white, staring at the mighty Atlantic, I am going to cut Liz T some slack and presume she was overwhelmed by the magnitude of everything when she won. Hence her awful speech

And to be fair it must be quite seismic for her. Prime minister of the United Kingdom. THE job she probably dreamed of as a young Lib Dem. Even as she laughed at her own silly fantasies

She needs to shape up tho. No more speeches like that

She has only had 12 weeks to write that speech and prepare for this moment...
    Everyone was there to hear her, she had the nations and worlds attention not just her party, why spurn that moment like that?

As a politician you need to get yourself across, build faith in your seriousness and professionalism. As leader of a nation you have to lead it. I know people say the delivery was stilted and naff, but more importantly her team didn’t write her a speech?

It just seems a wasted moment. 🤷‍♀️
    Worse than that... maybe she did prepare for this moment, and this is Truss on a good day...

Go on. Name a good speech she has given.

(Like a lot of politicians, she's arrived at the top badly undercooked. I'm remarkably OK as a public speaker. But that's after many years of doing it five times a day, five days a week.)
    Well no, it’s not about how awful as public speaking it was, it’s how the team around her wasted the set piece moment to get important points across winning hearts and minds - it was a free hit in terms of having attention laid on, winning hearts and minds now makes it easier for the battle ahead. They should have written two strong speeches for today and tomorrow, otherwise it makes no political sense. Not to me anyway.
    I rather disagree with you about today being her opportunity to win over doubters

For me it is her speech to the country outside Downing Street tomorrow afternoon about 4.00pm as she speaks as Prime Minister for the first time
    Is there a market on whether we'll just get more meaningless soundbites badly delivered?
    The next three days will determine Truss's future

Tomorrow 4.00pm speech to the Nation

Wednesday PMQS

Thursday statement at the dispatch box
    Tories chose this girl on Monday
    Took her as PM on Tuesday
    Were regretting it by Wednesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
    Asked for BJ on Sunday
    And chilled all winter if she doesn't get the energy plan right.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,508
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

When he left secondary education, he also left from a private school and as even you state before that it was a grammar school not a comprehensive school.

You may not like it but the next general election will be the first time a comprehensive educated Tory leader
    has faced a privately educated
    Labour leader since Blair faced Hague in 2001. Though you can console yourself that Blair win that election
    Did Starmers family pay any fees, or was his a council funded place?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,508
    Grim polling for Fizzie Lizzie.

Only 41% of Tory voter pleased or very pleased by her victory.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/09/05/50-22-britons-are-disappointed-liz-truss-will-be-n

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    HYUFD getting a bit desperate and it hasn’t even been one day.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    Omnium said:

Her simple an truthful answer: "I don't know". At least then she won't get done for lying to parliament.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited September 2022
    BBC economics editor saying that Truss and her team are engaged with energy companies as of now to agree a 2 year energy price cap for consumers at a cost of approximately 90 billion

Additional a price cap of some sort will also apply to small businesses inflating the figure over £100 billion

If Truss announces this scheme or something similar than the debate changes and of course consumers will be relieved

And before anyone says windfall taxes will pay for this they simply will not, and it is likely to be a scheme payable over 20 years on energy bills
This discussion has been closed.