Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some worrying findings for the Tories from Opinium – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2022 in General
Some worrying findings for the Tories from Opinium – politicalbetting.com

By comparison to voters as a whole, 2019 Conservative voters are heavily undecided on who the best candidate for prime minister would be.> 30% think Rishi Sunak would be the best prime minister> 28% think Liz Truss would be> 30% think neither of them would be pic.twitter.com/UdvMkRrUFj

Read the full story here

Comments

• No Tory poll leads for nigh on NINE MONTHS!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ///first.onthis.thread
    IshmaelZ said:

///first.onthis.thread

See? That's the w3w address for the second post on a thread. the system works.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,812
    edited September 2022
    Replying to @Leon from the last thread
    Dystopian indeed. It doesnt take much reading between the lines from a September announcement of a Jan to Mar subsidy of bus fares so people can afford to get to work to work out just how much shit we are in. Expect many more such things being announced, get your freezer stocked and buy a new kettle.
    I invested in 2 very nice hoodies in Scotland. Toasty.
  • Her polling is at a monumental high compared to how it will be by November frankly.

• Opinion polls are the least of their worries. It’s the real world that has hit the fan.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Ahah. Tories have chosen 1) a worse leader 2) one with barely any parliamentary support 3) a leader who - when’s she seen more - the less people like her (which means you can’t even think of taking her into a GE

She won’t last long. At all
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,592

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MISTY said:

I wonder why Father Calv crowbarred paedophillia into a tweet about transgender issues?

Only joking, I know exactly why he did!

Actually there is genuine concern about why some people may be keen to encourage the use of puberty blockers. It is worthy of consideration.
    Genuine concerns about x, words to define the age we live in.

I know we don't see eye to eye on much UD, but Babylon Berlin is utterly FAB and thanks again for the recommendation.
    👍 Cool. I admit to have becoming totally fanboi about the series to the point of being evangelical, but glad if I've made at least one convert!
    I liked Rings of Power a lot. Am I alone here?

First of all, the elements we can all agree on? There’s nothing wrong with the excellent soundtrack and score, use of music and sound was good. And the Title Sequence is quite excellent too. I enjoyed the visual spectacle - the hidden Hobbit village coming alive was very good.

Pacing we could argue over. I thought the first episode had a good pace. There was discussion here last week, horror tales tend be short, if it’s long then it becomes more than horror - similar here in that making Rings of Power have pace, action and suspense it has to move away from pure Tolkienism - indeed hiding from, and the battle with the big Orc, sequence Spielberg would have been proud of.

And whilst some of the script was a little lame, some performances were very good. Markella Kavenagh steals acting honours as adventurous Hobbit Nori - Ismael Córdova as buttoned up Elf Arondir likeable too.

Too early to say about Characterisation just two episodes in. Accents. Maybe a bit like Derry Girls doing Midsummer Nights Dream at times?

If Tolkien purists were to argue it’s not true to Tolkien enough, I would argue it builds upon what Tolkien offered, mankind fighting for Morgoth so held in suspicion for example. For purists I’m reminded about what Stu from Romford said about ism’s earlier today. How do the purists know that the man himself wouldn’t watch this and enjoy it?

Loved Galadriel’s warrior eye make up when she took down the troll, I’m going to do mine like that. 😍
    You're also the only remaining fan of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. That's a warning light about your judgment :smile:

What would Tolkien have thought? Well, there are a couple of answers to that. First of all, he really hated people making changes to his ideas. In fact he vetoed several possible film productions of the Lord of the rings because they wanted to alter plot points, commenting, 'I don't mind people leaving things out, but I wish they wouldn't change things.' Therefore, we can probably say that he would be pretty pissed off with what's been done here in terms of his Legendarium.

However, there is another side to this. The character of Galadriel in particular changed a great deal as he was writing about her. So, for example, in the fellowship of the ring she describes herself as having passed over the mountains of the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin to join Celeborn who is that point appears to have been a Nandorin elf. However by the time he wrote the appendices he changed his mind and Celeborn and Galadriel ran the kingdom of south Lindon for many years after the end of the second age having met in Doriath.

Yet another version of her backstory in unfinished tales shows her and Celeborn as the Lord and Lady of Eregion having founded it sometime after the end of the first stage.

Now, anyone of these could make an excellent story which makes it deeply puzzling that the writers have decided to ditch the whole bloody lot and come up with something totally different but wildly inconsistent with the texts and in fact not very convincing on the first couple of episodes.

Which is roughly why I'm not very impressed with them.
    The thing is: I really don't care what Tolkien would have thought. I want an entertaining story, well told. Perhaps there were reasons for the changes; perhaps not. It's a series *inspired* by his writing, not a word-for-word reciting of the story.

In the same way the TV series 'Elementary' had very little connection with Conan Doyle's stories, but was still far more faithful than the BBC's Sherlock.
    Perhaps. But so far, I haven't found this especially entertaining. Certainly less so than any of the ideas they could have picked up and run with from Tolkien's writing.

I've watched an episode and a half. It's unlikely I'll watch the rest.
    What’s all this I’m missing? I only popped on for the Opinium.

“ You're also the only remaining fan of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. That's a warning light about your judgment “

Who woke you up grumpy old Gandalf. 🤣.

Well I’m enjoying how they have made it suspenseful, mysterious and a visual and auditory charm to wallow in. And that’s even before the characters and storyline builds.

Most of Tolkiens work is a historical and mythical mishmash anyway, hardly original with so much copied from the Edda and then changed to be or mean something else, so Tolkien purists can’t be too Poe faced about the effort put in here in my honest opinion.
    The only bit that really annoyed me so far was the implied trans (ha) oceanic swimming thing.

That and maybe the dropping the Ban of the Valar on certain people rocking up in Valinor.

The way the Two Trees and their destruction was done was very fine - clever use of a shadow to suggest Morgoth, without getting into the issue of them not having rights to the First Age writings.

Some interesting ideas in the story - will be interesting to see where they go with it. And how the Lord Of Gifts gets brought in…
  • The key number from Opinium is that the Tories are just four points behind. With a huge energy price rescue plan to come, there is all to play for. However, given the Opinium methodology and how it allocates Don’t Knows, it’s clear that Truss needs to find a way to get Tory to Labour switchers back. The Don’t Knows will not do it for her.

The key number from Opinium is that the Tories are just four points behind. With a huge energy price rescue plan to come, there is all to play for. However, given the Opinium methodology and how it allocates Don’t Knows, it’s clear that Truss needs to find a way to get Tory to Labour switchers back. The Don’t Knows will not do it for her.

Seems an odd +4 swing though, when nothing has really changed to prompt it
  • Her polling is at a monumental high compared to how it will be by November frankly.

That all depends on the energy package. It’s hard to believe it will not be huge. She just isn’t that stupid.

On topic

The polls and the stories* of what policies Truss will or won’t implement don’t mean much.

The question is what she will actually do. This will crystallise an actual poll rating, in the first couple of months. Until then, it’s all guesses based on other guesses.

*Which seem to be the product of an “AI”
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    IshmaelZ said:

///first.onthis.thread

that.is.four
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,037
    Evening all - just back from NYC.

Is Elizabeth Truss PM yet?

It looks like the sane PBers think Truss is likely to be a disaster - not really surprising.

Would be interesting to hear what the right wing fruitcakes think? Barty, Leon and the like.
  • The key number from Opinium is that the Tories are just four points behind. With a huge energy price rescue plan to come, there is all to play for. However, given the Opinium methodology and how it allocates Don’t Knows, it’s clear that Truss needs to find a way to get Tory to Labour switchers back. The Don’t Knows will not do it for her.

Boris Johnson back on the telly doing his job.
  • The Sweden Democrats have beaten the Moderates in the last 23 polls.

If this holds true on the evening of 11 September (the result is known within an hour or two of polling closing), and SD+M+KD+L is greater than S+V+C+MP then we will likely see an extremely unstable minority M+KD government with C&S from SD and L. Probably won’t last 12 months.

Personally I’m still hoping that PM Magdalena Andersson holds on. I voted C-C-L (national-regional-local) with that aim.

I really wish that my former party the Moderates had held on to our previous leader Anna Kinberg Batra. There is no way she would have got the party into the guddle that Ulf Kristersson has created.

The last Opinium gave a lot of support to Others and came just after the Labour price cap announcement. This one is just reversion to mean. I suspect it involves a lot of Don’t Know reallocation to the Tories.

IshmaelZ said:

///first.onthis.thread

that.is.four
    shit.soitis.fuck

The key number from Opinium is that the Tories are just four points behind. With a huge energy price rescue plan to come, there is all to play for. However, given the Opinium methodology and how it allocates Don’t Knows, it’s clear that Truss needs to find a way to get Tory to Labour switchers back. The Don’t Knows will not do it for her.

Opinium out of line with other polls. All irrelevant. Tories will be 20+ points behind across the board within a year.

• No Tory poll leads for nigh on NINE MONTHS!

The Tories haven’t won an election in Scotland for 7 decades, so excuse me if I’m unimpressed by their 9 month dip in England.
  • Ominium still struggling with the better/best thing.

Interesting that the more people see of The Truss, the less they think of her.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

///first.onthis.thread

that.is.four
    shit.soitis.fuck
    made.worse.errors

Boris Johnson back on the telly doing his job.
    Ah yes. Could be..

Which of course doesn’t bode well for Truss when the electorate finally see her

Nothing prompted the 5 point swing last time really. Its reversion to opiniums long term mean
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,780
    On the 48 hour working week (FPT) - I signed a thing in my contract that meant this doesn't apply to me. Is that change really a story?
  • I just refuse to believe that Liz Truss is too stupid to understand that there will have to be an absolutely massive intervention on energy prices. She has no option but to do something huge. There really is no alternative. It’s the rest that concerns me.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    The Tories need to be utterly humiliated in the next election if they are to have a long term future.
  • Times seems to think Mogg will be Business Sec.

This is just some kind of magical parody government we are about to get.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    Truss considering not replacing the 48 hour maximum working week in UK law when all remaining EU regulations are scrapped next year and also not renewing the guaranteed 4 weeks holiday a year plus Bank Holidays. This is the first sign of the firmly Thatcherite government Truss will lead in economic terms

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1566018961875079169?s=20&t=bcYiechy4LAcRQXuuFY1vw

Truss' new government will also lift the fracking ban within days

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/status/1566075534295146496?s=20&t=bcYiechy4LAcRQXuuFY1vw

Her polling is at a monumental high compared to how it will be by November frankly.

That all depends on the energy package. It’s hard to believe it will not be huge. She just isn’t that stupid.

Although "huge" might not be enough. All the stars are aligning, and not in a good way.
    Eabhal said:

On the 48 hour working week (FPT) - I signed a thing in my contract that meant this doesn't apply to me. Is that change really a story?

I expect you got highly paid for working those extra hours, Truss would scrap the 48 hours maximum week even for those on average or low incomes it seems
    edited September 2022

I just refuse to believe that Liz Truss is too stupid to understand that there will have to be an absolutely massive intervention on energy prices. She has no option but to do something huge. There really is no alternative. It’s the rest that concerns me.

They need to sort it out pronto for private business. Otherwise, we're going to see an almighty inversion in the labour market, with high unemployment and high inflation. Shiiiit.

I just don't see where the cash comes from?
  • I just refuse to believe that Liz Truss is too stupid to understand that there will have to be an absolutely massive intervention on energy prices. She has no option but to do something huge. There really is no alternative. It’s the rest that concerns me.

Her administration is utterly finished within a week or so if she does not go large and I mean massively fucking large on energy.

My brain cannot compute her not doing this with some kind of cover for the lovely, ageing, ranting members who want a bit of a cut to the NI they no longer pay.

Times seems to think Mogg will be Business Sec.

Rumours been around for ages now. Imagine business / industry having to be reassured by having him in post
    HYUFD said:

Truss considering not replacing the 48 hour maximum working week in UK law when all remaining EU regulations are scrapped next year and also not renewing the guaranteed 4 weeks holiday a year plus Bank Holidays. This is the first sign of the firmly Thatcherite government Truss will lead in economic terms

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1566018961875079169?s=20&t=bcYiechy4LAcRQXuuFY1vw

https://twitter.com/toryboypierce/status/1566075534295146496?s=20&t=bcYiechy4LAcRQXuuFY1vw

What the frack!

Loony tunes and some more. Even I will be begging for Boris to return before the end!
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769

Lord of the 3 rings circus.
  • murali_s said:

Opinium out of line with other polls. All irrelevant. Tories will be 20+ points behind across the board within a year.

The Scottish Tories were on 9% in one subsample last week, and are routinely in 3rd in the teens. I always thought that their core vote was about 15%, but it looks like Truss is going to severely test that floor. The Scottish Liberal Democrats will go for the jugular. If they have any sense. Which they don’t.

Is it possible that Truss has a cunning plan to let Mogg, IDS and Redwood to totally embarrass themselves by their incompetence in office to justify sacking them and sidelining their supporters, or am I assuming she’s cleverer than she appears?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

I expect you got highly paid for working those extra hours, Truss would scrap the 48 hours maximum week even for those on average or low incomes it seems
    She still secretly supports EU membership and wants to give Rejoin a polling boost. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
    The best PM numbers suggest that while Truss might still get a bounce, she is unlikely to take a poll lead
    edited September 2022

The Scottish Tories were on 9% in one subsample last week, and are routinely in 3rd in the teens. I always thought that their core vote was about 15%, but it looks like Truss is going to severely test that floor. The Scottish Liberal Democrats will go for the jugular. If they have any sense. Which they don’t.

Cole Hamilton would make an excellent Scon leader.
  • Times seems to think Mogg will be Business Sec.

You could go and chant: "Moggie, Moggie, Moggie! Out, Out, Out!"

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MISTY said:

I wonder why Father Calv crowbarred paedophillia into a tweet about transgender issues?

Actually there is genuine concern about why some people may be keen to encourage the use of puberty blockers. It is worthy of consideration.

I know we don't see eye to eye on much UD, but Babylon Berlin is utterly FAB and thanks again for the recommendation.
    👍 Cool. I admit to have becoming totally fanboi about the series to the point of being evangelical, but glad if I've made at least one convert!

First of all, the elements we can all agree on? There’s nothing wrong with the excellent soundtrack and score, use of music and sound was good. And the Title Sequence is quite excellent too. I enjoyed the visual spectacle - the hidden Hobbit village coming alive was very good.

Pacing we could argue over. I thought the first episode had a good pace. There was discussion here last week, horror tales tend be short, if it’s long then it becomes more than horror - similar here in that making Rings of Power have pace, action and suspense it has to move away from pure Tolkienism - indeed hiding from, and the battle with the big Orc, sequence Spielberg would have been proud of.

And whilst some of the script was a little lame, some performances were very good. Markella Kavenagh steals acting honours as adventurous Hobbit Nori - Ismael Córdova as buttoned up Elf Arondir likeable too.

Too early to say about Characterisation just two episodes in. Accents. Maybe a bit like Derry Girls doing Midsummer Nights Dream at times?

If Tolkien purists were to argue it’s not true to Tolkien enough, I would argue it builds upon what Tolkien offered, mankind fighting for Morgoth so held in suspicion for example. For purists I’m reminded about what Stu from Romford said about ism’s earlier today. How do the purists know that the man himself wouldn’t watch this and enjoy it?

Loved Galadriel’s warrior eye make up when she took down the troll, I’m going to do mine like that. 😍
    You're also the only remaining fan of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. That's a warning light about your judgment :smile:

What would Tolkien have thought? Well, there are a couple of answers to that. First of all, he really hated people making changes to his ideas. In fact he vetoed several possible film productions of the Lord of the rings because they wanted to alter plot points, commenting, 'I don't mind people leaving things out, but I wish they wouldn't change things.' Therefore, we can probably say that he would be pretty pissed off with what's been done here in terms of his Legendarium.

However, there is another side to this. The character of Galadriel in particular changed a great deal as he was writing about her. So, for example, in the fellowship of the ring she describes herself as having passed over the mountains of the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin to join Celeborn who is that point appears to have been a Nandorin elf. However by the time he wrote the appendices he changed his mind and Celeborn and Galadriel ran the kingdom of south Lindon for many years after the end of the second age having met in Doriath.

Yet another version of her backstory in unfinished tales shows her and Celeborn as the Lord and Lady of Eregion having founded it sometime after the end of the first stage.

Now, anyone of these could make an excellent story which makes it deeply puzzling that the writers have decided to ditch the whole bloody lot and come up with something totally different but wildly inconsistent with the texts and in fact not very convincing on the first couple of episodes.

The thing is: I really don't care what Tolkien would have thought. I want an entertaining story, well told. Perhaps there were reasons for the changes; perhaps not. It's a series *inspired* by his writing, not a word-for-word reciting of the story.

In the same way the TV series 'Elementary' had very little connection with Conan Doyle's stories, but was still far more faithful than the BBC's Sherlock.
    Perhaps. But so far, I haven't found this especially entertaining. Certainly less so than any of the ideas they could have picked up and run with from Tolkien's writing.

“ You're also the only remaining fan of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. That's a warning light about your judgment “

Well I’m enjoying how they have made it suspenseful, mysterious and a visual and auditory charm to wallow in. And that’s even before the characters and storyline builds.

Most of Tolkiens work is a historical and mythical mishmash anyway, hardly original with so much copied from the Edda and then changed to be or mean something else, so Tolkien purists can’t be too Poe faced about the effort put in here in my honest opinion.
    The only bit that really annoyed me so far was the implied trans (ha) oceanic swimming thing.

That and maybe the dropping the Ban of the Valar on certain people rocking up in Valinor.

The way the Two Trees and their destruction was done was very fine - clever use of a shadow to suggest Morgoth, without getting into the issue of them not having rights to the First Age writings.

Some interesting ideas in the story - will be interesting to see where they go with it. And how the Lord Of Gifts gets brought in…
    Please tell me Galadriel doesnt go to Valinor? (I havent watched it yet). The whole point of her lament in Lorien is that she believed the ban on her return was perennial. It was the entire point of Celebrimbor creating the rings, so his unrequited love and the High King could preserve all things unchanged as they were denied the undying lands by the ban on the leaders and the Feanoreans. Men going would be even worse.
    murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

What the frack!

Loony tunes and some more. Even I will be begging for Boris to return before the end!
    As I said at the time those wishing Boris gone may regret it soon enough, looks like Truss will be much more rightwing economically at least
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Dystopian indeed. It doesnt take much reading between the lines from a September announcement of a Jan to Mar subsidy of bus fares so people can afford to get to work to work out just how much shit we are in. Expect many more such things being announced, get your freezer stocked and buy a new kettle.

Yes. I'm surprised the bus policy attracted so little comment.
    It's a major intervention. Of the type which the new PM must have signed off on. It is what they dragged Burnham through court to prevent.
    It's a huge deal.
    And not a harbinger of good at all.

The Sweden Democrats have beaten the Moderates in the last 23 polls.

If this holds true on the evening of 11 September (the result is known within an hour or two of polling closing), and SD+M+KD+L is greater than S+V+C+MP then we will likely see an extremely unstable minority M+KD government with C&S from SD and L. Probably won’t last 12 months.

Personally I’m still hoping that PM Magdalena Andersson holds on. I voted C-C-L (national-regional-local) with that aim.

I really wish that my former party the Moderates had held on to our previous leader Anna Kinberg Batra. There is no way she would have got the party into the guddle that Ulf Kristersson has created.

Yes but Kristersson might still be PM as even you suggest due to his willingness to deal with the SDs
  • HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

You tell them, comrade. General Strike incoming.
    edited September 2022
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

I once worked so much I got compensation for being paid below the minimum wage for 3 months.
    HYUFD said:

I assume Boris Johnson would not be affected by the change to the 48 hour working week.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112
    edited September 2022

Is there any difference? It's hard to tell, now the SLD leader doesn't any more have copulating farmyard animals in the background of TV interviews de rigeur, and Mr Ross has been (intermittently) on about how awful Mr J is.
    HYUFD said:

The best PM numbers suggest that while Truss might still get a bounce, she is unlikely to take a poll lead

OPINIUM! It's gonna happen!

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Well at least under the slash tax, slash regulation, increase working hours, take on the unions government Truss looks likely to lead we will see how popular Singapore on Thames UK actually is post Brexit

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MISTY said:

Please tell me Galadriel doesnt go to Valinor? (I havent watched it yet). The whole point of her lament in Lorien is that she believed the ban on her return was perennial. It was the entire point of Celebrimbor creating the rings, so his unrequited love and the High King could preserve all things unchanged as they were denied the undying lands by the ban on the leaders and the Feanoreans. Men going would be even worse.
    And I thought the cost of living crisis would dominate politics for the next few months.

I'm starting the series on Tuesday!
    edited September 2022

Her polling is at a monumental high compared to how it will be by November frankly.

Although "huge" might not be enough. All the stars are aligning, and not in a good way.
    Helping us voters directly will not be enough, nor will freezing the cap. It will be done as it has to be but businesses are going to fold in their thousands. Everywhere. Not just the UK. The Western economy is going to implode. Its completely unsustainable
    edited September 2022

I just refuse to believe that Liz Truss is too stupid to understand that there will have to be an absolutely massive intervention on energy prices. She has no option but to do something huge. There really is no alternative. It’s the rest that concerns me.

Her administration is utterly finished within a week or so if she does not go large and I mean massively fucking large on energy.

My brain cannot compute her not doing this with some kind of cover for the lovely, ageing, ranting members who want a bit of a cut to the NI they no longer pay.

I might believe she is serious if she

(a) eliminates inheritance tax allowances beyond the basic one especially those for Approved Families ((c) C of E)
    (b) ditto the savings interest, rentals, and dividends allowances for income tax

Won't be nearly enough - but it will show she's no longer pandering to the grey legions of the Tory Party and is at least aware that voters exist beyond that.
    dixiedean said:

It's a major intervention. Of the type which the new PM must have signed off on. It is what they dragged Burnham through court to prevent.
    It's a huge deal.
    Pennies compared to the fuel duty cut.

The Truss government will be fixed firmly in favour of geriatric drivers.
  • With the Moggster at BEIS, I can see the carbon capture and hydrogen programmes being canned.

It has already happened twice for carbon capture, or three times if you include the EU NER300 programme that would have funded a UK project but our government wouldn't play ball.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MISTY said:

No, she doesn’t.

But they muck up the idea that returning, is for the elves, a very personal thing.

They are getting Celebrimbor right, so far, I think. Even came up with an interesting reason for the start of the alliance between him and the dwarves which makes sense and connects to things Tolkien specifically wrote about the Rings.
    Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

The ones with backless gloves.
    Carnyx said:

Is there any difference? It's hard to tell, now the SLD leader doesn't any more have copulating farmyard animals in the background of TV interviews de rigeur, and Mr Ross has been (intermittently) on about how awful Mr J is.

I think I would rather go for a pint with Ross than Cole Hamilton. That’s how badly I rate Cole Hamilton!

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MISTY said:

No, she doesn’t.

But they muck up the idea that returning, is for the elves, a very personal thing.

They are getting Celebrimbor right, so far, I think. Even came up with an interesting reason for the start of the alliance between him and the dwarves which makes sense and connects to things Tolkien specifically wrote about the Rings.
    I am so nervous to watch it. Im at the 'please dont make something wonderful into complete shit' stage

With the Moggster at BEIS, I can see the carbon capture and hydrogen programmes being canned.

It has already happened twice for carbon capture, or three times if you include the EU NER300 programme that would have funded a UK project but our government wouldn't play ball.

They didn't have such new-fangled theories as phlogiston when he was trained, never mind Black's discovery of fixed air (which was probably too dodgy being by a Scot anyway).
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Well at least under the slash tax, slash regulation, increase working hours, take on the unions government Truss looks likely to lead we will see how popular Singapore on Thames UK actually is post Brexit
    I get the feeling that you don’t totally approve.
    dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.
    dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.
    Funny thing about it is basically it's what's been happening in Lothian for decades - a capped maximum daily fare, you hop on and buy a daily ticket. Much to relentless Tory/Unionist criticism (cooncil buses BAAAAD.). Now it's flavour of the month?
    dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.
    Its the most worrying development i've seen so far. It literally reeks of horizon doom
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

*shudders*
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

How does Truss even have the mandate or political backing to “take on the unions”

This really isn’t Thatcher mark 2

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

She could increase the minimum age for a driving license to 65 to get all the 50 year old boy racers in their company BMWs and Audis off the roads, It’s very upsetting for us 70 year olds when all we want to do is tootle along at 30 admiring the scenery.
    Carnyx said:

With the Moggster at BEIS, I can see the carbon capture and hydrogen programmes being canned.

They didn't have such new-fangled theories as phlogiston when he was trained, never mind Black's discovery of fixed air (which was probably too dodgy being by a Scot anyway).
    The vibe I get is that everybody and his dog is pushing policies for Truss to pick up.

Anyone remember the one about Gove, at the start of the coalition discovering that his department was announcing policies without bothering to ask the minister?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited September 2022
    Good evening

It seems PB has decided Truss is over before she even takes office and the policies announced

I have no idea why she thinks JRM and Dorries should be in her cabinet other than some plot to prevent 2 by elections as Johnson sends them to the Lords

However, I am more restrained as I haven't a clue what she will announce next week, but I would be surprised if she and those around her do not provide an extensive support package for consumers and as importantly businesses, especially small businesses

A package well targeted and very pro business may well change the narrative and have some red faces on here

I admit I have to be persuaded by her, but at least let her get in office and start the post Johnson age

Her poll ratings are poor but even Starmer is only on 29% tonight

Truth is disenchantment , worry and fear stalks the political class as they attempt to do the impossible and make the cost of living crisis disappear as if it is not real when it is a direct consequence of the war with Russia which only ends when that does
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    HYUFD said:

That first change will require changing multiple parts of employment law - which really does need to be sorted as current employment law is a grade a mess.

We’ve covered fracking before though - the Uk geology isn’t suitable

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

She could increase the minimum age for a driving license to 65 to get all the 50 year old boy racers in their company BMWs and Audis off the roads, It’s very upsetting for us 70 year olds when all we want to do is tootle along at 30 admiring the scenery.
    Parked in the middle of the road at the Rest and be Thankful, that sort of thing.

Good evening

It seems PB has decided Truss is over before she even takes office and the policies announced

I have no idea why she thinks JRM and Dorries should be in her cabinet other than some plot to prevent 2 by elections as Johnson sends them to the Lords

However, I am more restrained as I haven't a clue what she will announce next week, but I would be surprised if she and those around her do not provide an extensive support package for consumers and as importantly businesses, especially small businesses

A package well targeted and very pro business may well change the narrative and have some red faces on here

I admit I have to be persuaded by her, but at least let her get in office and start the post Johnson age

Truth is disenchantment , worry and fear stalks the political class as they attempt to do the impossible and make the cost of living crisis disappear as if it is not real when it is a direct consequence of the war with Russia which only ends when that does

The polling indeed suggests none of the above is wanted in number 10.
    If Labour are high 30s, low 40s, 29% thinking Starmer will be best PM suggests their vote is shallow.
    Having said that, its better than the blues right now!
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

That first change will require changing multiple parts of employment law - which really does need to be sorted as current employment law is a grade a mess.

The 48 hour thing will be used to shaft people who don't understand minimum wage rules.
  • eek said:

HYUFD said:

Fracking is an easy win for Truss.

She lifts any bans but then no one wants to actually do any fracking in UK - a detail that will escape her members.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

Parked in the middle of the road at the Rest and be Thankful, that sort of thing.
    Scared to drive down it in case of a landslide.
  • Good evening

If Labour are high 30s, low 40s, 29% thinking Starmer will be best PM suggests their vote is shallow.
    Everybody's is better than the conservatives who have taken leave of their senses, indeed the only good is Johnson leaving no 10 on Tuesday
  • Good evening

I still don't think Keir has sealed the deal 👍
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

The 48 hour thing will be used to shaft people who don't understand minimum wage rules.
    And used by employers who do, and disagree with it.
    edited September 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

Great food van there. Try the bacon and brie roll.

Edit: and possibly parked there to avoid the extortionate parking fees at Arrochar.
  • Good evening

I would be delighted if Johnson gets his way and places Nad in the HoL. At least she will be well away from wrecking the BBC if she is in the Lords. We can only hope.

Good evening

Truth is disenchantment , worry and fear stalks the political class as they attempt to do the impossible and make the cost of living crisis disappear as if it s not real and directly a consequence of the war with Russia which only ends when that does

Let’s not forget the calamity that is Brexit. Very convenient to blame Ukraine on all our woes.

Brexit is fully owned by the disingenuous Tories. As most are saying here, they need to be ejected and soon.

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

HYUFD said:

What the frack!

As I said at the time those wishing Boris gone may regret it soon enough, looks like Truss will be much more rightwing economically at least
    Look, Boris had to go in the same way that he would have had to go if he had died in office. You can't prop up a stinking corpse for three years because you think its fiscal instincts are more laissez faire liberal than the alternatives. I do really question your claim to be a Christian what with your absolute immorality and your adherence to the straight Christ heresy.

Truss is going to be comedy gold, is the message this evening, and put your party out of power for much much longer than 1997 to 2010.
  • HYUFD said:

The Sweden Democrats have beaten the Moderates in the last 23 polls.

Yes but Kristersson might still be PM as even you suggest due to his willingness to deal with the SDs
    … despite his willingness to deal with them.

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.
    Its the most worrying development i've seen so far. It literally reeks of horizon doom
    Yep.
    State mandated pricing in buses. Something undreamed of outside our capitals.
    Worst Tory nightmare in fact. They've been fighting this since David Blunkett was a councillor.
    Implies very real fear of businesses closing because no one can afford to travel.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    murali_s said:

Good evening

Truth is disenchantment , worry and fear stalks the political class as they attempt to do the impossible and make the cost of living crisis disappear as if it s not real and directly a consequence of the war with Russia which only ends when that does

Let’s not forget the calamity that is Brexit. Very convenient to blame Ukraine on all our woes.

Brexit is fully owned by the disingenuous Tories. As most are saying here, they need to be ejected and soon.

It’s impossible to say that Brexit is a calamity as it’s very hard to disentangle Covid and now the Ukraine invasion. I’m sure there has been some negative effects, but they have been dwarfed by other events.
    edited September 2022

Good evening

Everybody's is better than the conservatives who have taken leave of their senses, indeed the only good is Johnson leaving no 10 on Tuesday
    Theyve got a bugger of a job to do to hold it all together this winter, i fear for what might happen. I'm trying to be hopeful but also feeling rather bleakly pessimistic. I just think its too big. For anyone. Starmers intervention already looks ludicrously naive and undercooked. But it does at least exist.
  • murali_s said:

Good evening

I have no problem with brexit and anyway neither does Starmer
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.

Great food van there. Try the bacon and brie roll.

Edit: and possibly parked there to avoid the extortionate parking fees at Arrochar.
    I stayed in a lovely B and B at Rest and Be Thankful. They used a generator for electricity (this is 20 years ago). Right now they would be ahead of the curve…
    edited September 2022
    Nothing new. They do like to insist that the dead vote No, as in 1978. (Rather like one of us with DKs.)
    edited September 2022

eek said:

HYUFD said:

She lifts any bans but then no one wants to actually do any fracking in UK - a detail that will escape her members.
    "With the consent of the community" is the bit which will escape notice.
    That's such a wind up. Wonder if it's to try and trap Starmer?
    Would have been useful in 2016…
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It's a huge deal.
    Yep.
    State mandated pricing in buses. Something undreamed of outside our capitals.
    Worst Tory nightmare in fact. They've been fighting this since David Blunkett was a councillor.
    Implies very real fear of businesses closing because no one can afford to travel.
    Yep. 100%. Its implying only mass and wide ranging interventions will keep the country afloat
    edited September 2022
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

"With the consent of the community" is the bit which will escape notice.
    Not in Wales, NI or Scotland. (Assuming Stormont is working again.)

Good evening

Theyve got a bugger of a job to do to hold it all together this winter, i fear for what might happen. I'm trying to be hopeful but also feeling rather bleakly pessimistic. I just think its too big. For anyone. Starmers intervention already looks ludicrously naive and undercooked. But it does at least exist.
    Starmer's solution was far too generous to people on higher incomes. It really needs to be Sunak's (x4) or similar.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    “ Some interesting ideas in the story - will be interesting to see where they go with it. And how the Lord Of Gifts gets brought in…”

Has he literally crashed in via meatorite? Or have they invented a pre Gandalf type Gandalf 🤔
    I have no problem with that if it is introduced in conjunction with a rule that only those living full time in Scotland for at least 10 years can vote. No second homers and recent English incomers can vote.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Eabhal said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

If minimum wage isn’t revoked then no company will be pushing it - it’s very easy to be caught out by it..
This discussion has been closed.