Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Our best days are still to come? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    Leon said:

Bradford is “the most dangerous city in Europe”

Coventry is second. Birmingham is fourth

Some unsurprising names in the top ten: Naples, Marseilles, Malmo

Also surprises: Nantes?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19565832/british-city-most-dangerous-in-europe/

Since Malmo is in there, how about Ystad? It has a very high murder rate.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited August 2022
    Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

The average UK CEO is now paid 109 times what the the average British worker is. It was 79 times higher barely 2 years ago. Have CEOs really been grafting so much harder these last two years to deserve such rewards?

(I’m not defending it, but) That’s the average FTSE 100 CEO.
    Which is hardly typical of UK businesses (especially as quite a few of them are largely overseas).

What’s the real figure for UK businesses ?

£76k base apparently, about three times the salary of the average employee.

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Chief_Executive_Officer_(CEO)/Salary

If you earn more than £158k you're in the top 10% of CEOs.

But never let facts get in the way of a good rant.
    So looking beyond the FTSE 100 CEOs, the average CEO earns less than the average criminal barrister on £79,800. Perhaps CEOs will go on strike then?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62629776.amp
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Bradford, upcoming city of culture.

Can’t be a shock it’s crime ridden, although 26th most dangerous city in the world. Really. That just does not make sense.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    1,295 people completed Monday's informal transmanche regatta according to Sky News who are never wrong.

Rwanda. LOL.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,243

Leon said:

I don’t see how it is in their interest to hand out totally bogus data

The Sun ran the story and you shared the link, so job done.
    Is it fake tho? There are claims they simply use “consumer reviews” which - if true - makes it all
    Nonsense. But that doesn’t seem wise, for them, as doing consultancy for expats is their biz

I can however see why everyone in Bradford Coventry and Brum WANTS it to be rubbish
  • Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

The average UK CEO is now paid 109 times what the the average British worker is. It was 79 times higher barely 2 years ago. Have CEOs really been grafting so much harder these last two years to deserve such rewards?

Executive pay is set by other executives on remuneration committees and voted on by other executives at AGMs.

All of whom have a vested interest in executive pay increasing.

If a political party wanted a popular policy they would advocate a maximum wage based on 10x average earnings for each organisation.

There'd be a major shift in corporate and many personal donations - but to the other parties.
    As well as the lowest paid staff in offices - the cleaners, caterers, drivers, and low-level admin staff, being outsourced to service companies purely to bring the average ‘company’ wage up.
    Something which is likely to lead to worse performance and at a higher cost.

If executives are willing to do that in order to increase their own earnings it suggests they shouldn't be in charge of the organisation.
    Dura_Ace said:

1,295 people completed Monday's informal transmanche regatta according to Sky News who are never wrong.

Rwanda. LOL.

You laugh, but this will lead to a Meloni style hard right government in the UK. Just as the exact same problem is now doing in Italy
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

Which is hardly typical of UK businesses (especially as quite a few of them are largely overseas).

So looking beyond the FTSE 100 CEOs, the average ceo earns less than the average criminal barrister on £79,800. Perhaps ceos will go on strike then?

If the £76K -> £158K CEOs go on strike, they won't earn anything.
  • HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

I was just catching up on some of HYUFD's deluded comments about speeding up infrastructure programs using infinite resources. Speaking as a professional building multi-billion usd infrastructure projects - there is a technical term for this strategy:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Well you can join Kle4 then and be vaporised by a Putin nuclear missile. For if the US withdrew from NATO and rendered Trident redundant we would then be defenceless against Putin's nukes if we did not quickly produce our own nuclear weapons
    It's not about wanting to or not, it's about whether it is possible or not.

I know this is the bit where Boris Johnson starts humming "Land of Hope and Glory" really loudly to drown out the negative vibes, but he's going now. It would be nice to get back to reality-based politics.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I don’t see how it is in their interest to hand out totally bogus data

The Sun ran the story and you shared the link, so job done.
    Is it fake tho? There are claims they simply use “consumer reviews” which - if true - makes it all
    Nonsense. But that doesn’t seem wise, for them, as doing consultancy for expats is their biz

I can however see why everyone in Bradford Coventry and Brum WANTS it to be rubbish
    Birmz is Grime, as they said during the commonwealth games.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Does Mariopol make the list?
    Yes a night out in Kherson or dining at Nandos in Walsgrave. Which is the most dangerous? Come to think of it, now we are jettisoning EU water quality standards, maybe Coventry is more
    hazardous. Don't drink the water!
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Can’t be a shock it’s crime ridden, although 26th most dangerous city in the world. Really. That just does not make sense.
    Yes. There must be 1000 more dangerous cities in Africa, Lat Am and the USA

So their methodology is dodgy but I want to know HOW dodgy. I just can’t be arsed to dig deep as I am sunbathing on a beautiful terrace in Florence

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

I was just catching up on some of HYUFD's deluded comments about speeding up infrastructure programs using infinite resources. Speaking as a professional building multi-billion usd infrastructure projects - there is a technical term for this strategy:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Well you can join Kle4 then and be vaporised by a Putin nuclear missile. For if the US withdrew from NATO and rendered Trident redundant we would then be defenceless against Putin's nukes if we did not quickly produce our own nuclear weapons

I know this is the bit where Boris Johnson starts humming "Land of Hope and Glory" really loudly to drown out the negative vibes, but he's going now. It would be nice to get back to reality-based politics.
    Anything is possible if government commits full resources to it, including forcing the private sector to lead on it.

Especially given the alternative is annihilation by Putin's nukes without it, which it would be
    edited August 2022
    Perhaps the good people at Numbeo Consultancy included “chances of being a young white girl and being raped by Muslim taxi drivers” as a key metric in their analysis. That would certainly drive up the numbers for Bradford
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

ydoethur said:

What reforms incentivised work? People have never been able to sit at home claiming unemployment benefit....

UC reforms and cutting tax and NI on low income workers.

Look at the high employment figures during the coalition years, and record low unemployment, which continue even today.
    Sadly these reforms only scratched the surface. Since then we have had the bigger "reform" of successfully encouraging so many EU workers to leave and then closing the door behind them.

We now have the brilliant combination of deep-rooted mass unemployment in some areas and now firmly embedded mass job vacancies in others. We can't send the unemployed in Widnes to fill the vacancies in Wisbech, the hospitality jobs in places like the Lake District can't be filled as the local cost of housing is £stupid, and the government denies there is even an issue.

There is Good News though. The simultaneous explosion in energy prices and collapse in leisure spending power will likely wipe out so many of the hospitality businesses who have the unfillable vacancies. At which point Trussteam will be sending their mince 2019 MPs out to proclaim how amazing things are and how you definitely need to re-elect them.

"But you voted for this" will say angry voters, complete with ample proof that they did. Like the poo beach fiasco. "erm urm yebbut Labour don't know what a woman is" will likely be the response. You can't feed your family and keep the heating on powered only by the war against "woke".
    I don't know, the amount of hot air produced by the anti Woke brigade must constitute a viable energy source.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Is it just me or are we all now afflicted by a plague of pigeons?

They are everywhere.

The flock of starlings local to me is still doing well, and we saw a pair of crows mobbing a small raptor recently - looked too small to be a buzzard.

Boom time for pigeons in the city centre with the bin strike.
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

Nigelb said:

So looking beyond the FTSE 100 CEOs, the average ceo earns less than the average criminal barrister on £79,800. Perhaps ceos will go on strike then?

If the £76K -> £158K CEOs go on strike, they won't earn anything.
    Depends if any of them are in the public sector or not. However does show that once you get beyond the junior end criminal barristers are not badly paid and once you get to QC level criminal barristers are in the top 1% of earners
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Strikes everywhere. Energy issues. Inflation ramping up. The 1970s are back!!

Brexit is now complete :D:D
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Anything is possible if government commits full resources to it, including forcing the private sector to lead on it.

Especially given the alternative is annihilation by Putin's nukes without it, which it would be
    I pray Liz doesn't make Lord HYUFD Secretary of State for Defence!

Anyway, I'm off to dig myself an Anderson Shelter. Anyone got any corrugated tin to spare?
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Rwanda. LOL.

You laugh, but this will lead to a Meloni style hard right government in the UK. Just as the exact same problem is now doing in Italy
    Already got one.

*insert ball gag here*

It’s weird then that Italy faces identical problems. Must have missed Italexit

So who will play Anthony Barber to Truss's Ted Heath tribute act ?

"Truss’ tax plan is more like Heath’s than Thatcher’s, says IFS boss – UK politics live
    Andrew Sparrow - 23 Aug 2022"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/truss-tax-plan-is-more-like-heath-s-than-thatcher-s-says-ifs-boss-uk-politics-live/ar-AA10YQf4?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=865bec7bc8b24d7f96d41c699c7f71ab
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    The rise of Giorgia Meloni is an interesting phenomenon. She's a different kind of politician to the stereotypical continental far-right of recent years. She's anti-Putin and not particularly anti-EU.

The rise of Giorgia Meloni is an interesting phenomenon. She's a different kind of politician to the stereotypical continental far-right of recent years. She's anti-Putin and not particularly anti-EU.

Yes I’m researching her. Quite the Anglophile. A big fan of Scruton and Tolkien. She’s interesting

She is my favourite Fascist.
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Executive pay is set by other executives on remuneration committees and voted on by other executives at AGMs.

If a political party wanted a popular policy they would advocate a maximum wage based on 10x average earnings for each organisation.

There'd be a major shift in corporate and many personal donations - but to the other parties.
    As well as the lowest paid staff in offices - the cleaners, caterers, drivers, and low-level admin staff, being outsourced to service companies purely to bring the average ‘company’ wage up.

See even tech companies such as Facebook, where the people doing the worst job of content moderation don’t work for the company, but for a local outsourcing provider - often for barely minimum wage, with no benefits and high turnover.
    Not to mention the PTSD that many Facebook moderators are alleged to suffer from given some of the content they see every day.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/transactional/judge-oks-85-mln-settlement-facebook-moderators-ptsd-claims-2021-07-23/
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

ydoethur said:

What reforms incentivised work? People have never been able to sit at home claiming unemployment benefit....

Look at the high employment figures during the coalition years, and record low unemployment, which continue even today.
    Sadly these reforms only scratched the surface. Since then we have had the bigger "reform" of successfully encouraging so many EU workers to leave and then closing the door behind them.

We now have the brilliant combination of deep-rooted mass unemployment in some areas and now firmly embedded mass job vacancies in others. We can't send the unemployed in Widnes to fill the vacancies in Wisbech, the hospitality jobs in places like the Lake District can't be filled as the local cost of housing is £stupid, and the government denies there is even an issue.

There is Good News though. The simultaneous explosion in energy prices and collapse in leisure spending power will likely wipe out so many of the hospitality businesses who have the unfillable vacancies. At which point Trussteam will be sending their mince 2019 MPs out to proclaim how amazing things are and how you definitely need to re-elect them.

"But you voted for this" will say angry voters, complete with ample proof that they did. Like the poo beach fiasco. "erm urm yebbut Labour don't know what a woman is" will likely be the response. You can't feed your family and keep the heating on powered only by the war against "woke".
    I don't know, the amount of hot air produced by the anti Woke brigade must constitute a viable energy source.
    Funny how woke is brought up more by the anti anti woke than the anti woke.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

Rwanda. LOL.

Already got one.

*insert ball gag here*
    And here. And hurry up about it. There’s more migrants than water in the channel this week.

Leon said:

Uscitalia was the better option here.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

So their methodology is dodgy but I want to know HOW dodgy. I just can’t be arsed to dig deep as I am sunbathing on a beautiful terrace in Florence
    If it's Numbeo, their methodology is here:
    https://www.numbeo.com/crime/indices_explained.jsp

TLDR: Voodoo poll.

More: inclues questions such as being worried about [abuse?] based on skin, ethnic group, religion, which might be expected to be correlated with higher prevalence of minority skin colours, ethnic groups and religions.

Conclusion: bollox
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Uscitalia was the better option here.
    Quitaly.

Leeds are good again.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,572
    edited August 2022
    I am generally a strong supporter of the proposals on a price cap freeze as put forward by Keir Starmer.

However, there is one group for whom an exception should be made, such that no electricity price cap should apply. Namely households living in small areas where a proposal for a wind turbine has been rejected on the grounds that it doesn't carry the support of the local community, otherwise known as NIMBYs. Although those areas should of course be given a month or two to change their minds, as they no doubt will.

And yes, I am aware of the arguments about base load.....

Not quite. Music filling the charts not nearly good enough to be the seventies. 🎸
    Leon said:

I was not in Italy in the 70s so I cannot compare, but you will know that the Decade of Doom has returned when big floral pattern wallpaper and brown carpets become de rigeur again
    Leon said:

Perhaps the good people at Numbeo Consultancy included “chances of being a young white girl and being raped by Muslim taxi drivers” as a key metric in their analysis. That would certainly drive up the numbers for Bradford

Jesus, man. You're bored of 'Leon' and wanting another ban and reincarnation I take it? Perhaps we can have a non-casually-racist version next time?
  • Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_homicide_rate

https://www.statista.com/statistics/288221/number-of-homicides-uk-by-region/

45 homicides in Yorkshire in 2020/1.

Over three thousand in Cape Town.

I am generally a strong supporter of the proposals on a price cap freeze as put forward by Keir Starmer.

However, there is one group for whom an exception should be made, such that no electricity price cap should apply. Namely households living in small areas where a proposal for a wind turbine has been rejected on the grounds that it doesn't carry the support of the local community, otherwise known as NIMBYs. Although those areas should of course be given a month or two to change their minds, as they no doubt will.

And yes, I am aware of the arguments about base load.....

You are a strong supporter of massive government subsidies to energy firms? That does come as a surprise, I must say.
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

More: inclues quesitons such as being worried about [abuse?] based on skin, ethnic group, religion, which might be expected to be correlated with higher prevalence of minority skin colours, ethnic groups and religions.

Content designed to fuel culture wars created by firm in Russian ally Serbia, lapped up by useful idiots in the Murdoch press...
    Sir Tony Blair says GCSES and A levels should be scrapped and replaced by rigorous continuous assessment and an IB type qualification at 18

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1561945407839674374?s=20&t=2sbyAyRT3eoZDrdq4jk9WA
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

The way forward for Truss is clear.
    Just need to find some massive hydrocarbon deposits and make a few million people unemployed.

Not quite. Music filling the charts not nearly good enough to be the seventies. 🎸
    Very true, but Ms Truss might be giving "Thin Lizzy" a new meaning....
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

Have you ever heard of this guy Leon?
    You can find articles laying out the UK's slow motion energy car crash - From 2017:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/20/uk-gas-storage-prices-rough-british-gas-centrica

Spectator interview with her here. She says she is not Fascist but traditional Conservative and economically much more Thatcherite than say Le Pen

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/is-giorgia-meloni-the-most-dangerous-woman-in-europe
    edited August 2022
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Jesus, man. You're bored of 'Leon' and wanting another ban and reincarnation I take it? Perhaps we can have a non-casually-racist version next time?
    Are you claiming that there hasn’t been a “bit of an issue” in this area in the last 20 years or so?

Try telling that to estimated 100,000 young white girls (or more) molested and raped by predominantly Muslim grooming gangs

The fierce eagerness of the British left to deny and ignore this issue is quite something to behold
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    Leon said:

Alternatively, and much more likely: "Bradford police have the most efficient, transparent and honest methodology for recording crimes".
    Cyclefree said:

If you want one reason why productivity is stagnant then look at earnings inequality.

Workers aren't going to look to increase their productivity if the result is more money for the executive oligarchy but nothing more for themselves.
    A point made very cogently by Sharon Morgan, Unite's General Secretary on the Today programme this morning in relation to the strike at Felixstowe port.
    A pedant writes: Sharon Graham, not Morgan.
    UK manufacturing PMI off the scale bad, absolutely falling off a cliff. Services holding up pretty well though, and still generating plenty of inflation. Tricky for the BOE.

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

There's one of him, and plenty of you ranged against him...

Leon said:

Alternatively, and much more likely: "Bradford police have the most efficient, transparent and honest methodology for recording crimes".

Ahahahahah

Yeah they were really good on all those rapes, weren’t they?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,616
    Nigelb said:

Unlike the cut price British ones, some German politicians don’t come cheap.

https://twitter.com/minna_alander/status/1561634385572597760
    Since there’s still some disbelief about this outside of Germany: yes, an “environmental foundation” founded by Minister President of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Manuela Schwesig (SPD), received €192 million from Gazprom via their subsidiary NordStream 2 AG, in Feb-Nov 2021…

During the Cold War, the USSR purchased a number of German NGOs and pressure groups. To the point where people joked about 2-1 discounts…

Nothing changes.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 395

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Anyway, I'm off to dig myself an Anderson Shelter. Anyone got any corrugated tin to spare?
    There’s something pleasing about the idea of the UK having to unilaterally disarm because of the Americans. I used to be a big supporter of nukes on pragmatic grounds but as I get older I wonder what the point is for the UK. The only choice they give us is to fire them with the Americans and in that situation what difference would they make. There’s no conceivable situation where we would independently use them even if it would be possible with the way our strategic nuclear stick is set up. They’re morally abhorrent and expensive so why bother? Russia isn’t nuking Germany or Italy because they don’t have nuclear weapons.
    Driver said:

Driver said:

ydoethur said:

There's one of him, and plenty of you ranged against him...
    Actually there have been several of him.
    Alistair said:

Deleted as too early.

Was it about Christmas?
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Dynamo said:

"'(T)he [FSB] has solved the murder of Russian journalist Darya Dugina, born in 1992,' the FSB stressed... '(T)he crime was prepared and committed by Ukrainian secret services.' Its perpetrator was identified as a citizen of Ukraine, Natalia Vovk, born in 1979.

She had arrived in Russia on July 23, 2022, together with her daughter Sofya Shaban, born in 2010. 'On the day of the murder, Vovk and Shaban attended the ... festival Tradition, where Dugina was ...an honorary guest.

In Ukraine, it is traditional for secret agents to take their 12 year old daughters on assassination missions.
    They really do believe in bring you child to work days to ensure everyone gets some work experience
    That scheme was blown up out of all proportion.
    Hoisted by their own petard?
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

More: inclues questions such as being worried about [abuse?] based on skin, ethnic group, religion, which might be expected to be correlated with higher prevalence of minority skin colours, ethnic groups and religions.

They use “perception of crime” and crowdsourced data

Doesn’t seem like total bollocks to me. The UK government uses perception of crime in its crime surveys. It does look shaky - but then all crime data is really shaky when you drill deep

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Are you claiming that there hasn’t been a “bit of an issue” in this area in the last 20 years or so?

Try telling that to estimated 100,000 young white girls (or more) molested and raped by predominantly Muslim grooming gangs

The fierce eagerness of the British left to deny and ignore this issue is quite something to behold
    I'm not aware of any issues with cab drivers in Bradford. Happy to see any evidence.

There are well documented issues elsewhere.

Also happy to see any evidence of me being on the 'British left' given that I have, I think, voted Labour once in my lifetime in a GE (2015; and possibly a few times in local elections, but I can't remember - I tend to vote more on impresion of candidates locally).

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

More: inclues quesitons such as being worried about [abuse?] based on skin, ethnic group, religion, which might be expected to be correlated with higher prevalence of minority skin colours, ethnic groups and religions.

Content designed to fuel culture wars created by firm in Russian ally Serbia, lapped up by useful idiots in the Murdoch press...
    ..... and a useless idiot on PB.com.

UK manufacturing PMI off the scale bad, absolutely falling off a cliff. Services holding up pretty well though, and still generating plenty of inflation. Tricky for the BOE.

I was talking to a couple of manufacturing companies I deal with yesterday. Their order books are good for the rest of the year but going into the new year are down considerably on 12 months ago. Business is general industrial products. It is also the same where I work too. All anecdotal, of course, but we are speeding into a sharp contraction of manufacturing it would seem and the new year will be challenging for us.
    Stereodog said:

Russia isn’t nuking Germany or Italy because they don’t have nuclear weapons.

Germany and Italy are both in the NATO nuclear weapons sharing program so they have B61s available for delivery by their air forces.

However, Russia is conspicuously not nuking Denmark, Poland, Turkey, etc. who are not in the program.

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Crash program dynamics are interesting.

During the war, the rapid building of ships in the US was laughed at by British shipbuilders, since it used a lot of extra workers.

The bit they missed was that by prefabing sections of the ship, this allowed more workers to work on the ship at the same time. The amount of man hours to build the ship didn’t change much. Just that the build time dropped massively.

When scaled back to a smaller workforce, the same methods meant that a smaller group of workers could build a better ship, more quickly and cheaper than traditional methods.

edited August 2022
    (deleted, life is too short)
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

They use “perception of crime” and crowdsourced data

Doesn’t seem like total bollocks to me. The UK government uses perception of crime in its crime surveys. It does look shaky - but then all crime data is really shaky when you drill deep

It's not perception that is the (main) issue. It's the lack of any sampling strategy designed to get anything like a representative sample. British Crime Survey etc use random sampling from the Postcode Address File to get a representative sample.

Edit: There's a secondary issue around questions that are likely to correlate with demographics (e.g. if you ask about fear of sexual assault, you might get more fear if you sample from an all-girls school than an all-boys school). The issue is how it is used - if you conclude that girsl schools have more sexual abuse than boys schools then you're misusing the data. If you conclude that girls have more fear than boys then you're not. Here, part of the index appears to be fear of racism. They use that to paint Bradford as particularly bad, but that could be because there are more people of ethnic minority groups there, not because a random person is more likely to suffer racism in Bradford than elsewhere.
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

I'm not aware of any issues with cab drivers in Bradford. Happy to see any evidence.

Also happy to see any evidence of me being on the 'British left' given that I have, I think, voted Labour once in my lifetime in a GE (2015; and possibly a few times in local elections, but I can't remember - I tend to vote more on impresion of candidates locally).
    Fine under: Not a lefty, just an idiot then

“The convictions of these nine men come as another in a line of convictions in regard to sexual abuse by gangs of men in Bradford, with other convictions like those of 12 members of the Keithley child sex abuse ring being found guilty of rape and other forms of sexual abuse by a unanimous jury verdict in December 2015. They were sentenced to a total of 130 years in jail.

“The main victim of the gang was aged between 13 and 14 at the time of the attacks between 2011 and 2012.She was groomed with gifts and apparent displays of affection before being coerced into abusive sexual relationships. She was raped in various locations across Keithley, including parks, churchyards, and an underground carpark. The rapists had designated part of the carpark ‘X’s Corner’ with graffiti and added their own names.”

https://jordanssolicitors.co.uk/2022/06/bradford-grooming-gangs/

“Basharat Khaliq, of Glaisdale Court, Allerton, Bradford, was found guilty of five counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, police said. He was jailed for 20 years.

Saeed Akhtar, 55, of Back Girlington Road, Bradford, was found guilty of one charge of rape and two charges of causing or inciting child prostitution. He was jailed for 20 years.

Naveed Akhtar, 43, of Newport Place, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.

Parvaze Ahmed, 36, of Farcliffe Road, Bradford, was found guilty of three charges of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.

Izar Hussain, 32, of St Leonard’s Road, Bradford, was found guilty of rape. He was jailed for 16 years.

Zeeshan Ali, 32, of Durham Terrace, Bradford, was found guilty of sexual assault. He was jailed for 18 months.

Kieran Harris, 28, of Fir Parade, Dewsbury, was found guilty of two counts of rape . He was jailed for 17 years.

Fahim Iqbal, 28, of Quarry Road, Dewsbury, was found guilty of aiding and abetting one of Harris’s rapes. He was jailed for seven years.

Mohammed Usman, 31, of Quaker Street, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.”
    Pulpstar said:

You can find articles laying out the UK's slow motion energy car crash - From 2017:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jun/20/uk-gas-storage-prices-rough-british-gas-centrica

Thing is what difference does it make to Centrica (British gas) if we have no gas storage ? It makes no odds to their bottom line.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Driver said:

ydoethur said:

One advantage of the news being dominated by war and inflation, is that temporarily moving a couple of steps down Maslow’s hierarchy of needs might calm down those currently obsessed with cultural issues.
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

“The convictions of these nine men come as another in a line of convictions in regard to sexual abuse by gangs of men in Bradford, with other convictions like those of 12 members of the Keithley child sex abuse ring being found guilty of rape and other forms of sexual abuse by a unanimous jury verdict in December 2015. They were sentenced to a total of 130 years in jail.

“The main victim of the gang was aged between 13 and 14 at the time of the attacks between 2011 and 2012.She was groomed with gifts and apparent displays of affection before being coerced into abusive sexual relationships. She was raped in various locations across Keithley, including parks, churchyards, and an underground carpark. The rapists had designated part of the carpark ‘X’s Corner’ with graffiti and added their own names.”

“Basharat Khaliq, of Glaisdale Court, Allerton, Bradford, was found guilty of five counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, police said. He was jailed for 20 years.

Saeed Akhtar, 55, of Back Girlington Road, Bradford, was found guilty of one charge of rape and two charges of causing or inciting child prostitution. He was jailed for 20 years.

Naveed Akhtar, 43, of Newport Place, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.

Parvaze Ahmed, 36, of Farcliffe Road, Bradford, was found guilty of three charges of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.

Izar Hussain, 32, of St Leonard’s Road, Bradford, was found guilty of rape. He was jailed for 16 years.

Zeeshan Ali, 32, of Durham Terrace, Bradford, was found guilty of sexual assault. He was jailed for 18 months.

Kieran Harris, 28, of Fir Parade, Dewsbury, was found guilty of two counts of rape . He was jailed for 17 years.

Fahim Iqbal, 28, of Quarry Road, Dewsbury, was found guilty of aiding and abetting one of Harris’s rapes. He was jailed for seven years.

Mohammed Usman, 31, of Quaker Street, Bradford, was found guilty of two counts of rape. He was jailed for 17 years.”
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

If we posted up the Electoral Register for the same area, we could probably name ½ million Asian people who have never committed rape or any sex crime.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

If you want one reason why productivity is stagnant then look at earnings inequality.

Workers aren't going to look to increase their productivity if the result is more money for the executive oligarchy but nothing more for themselves.
    A point made very cogently by Sharon Morgan, Unite's General Secretary on the Today programme this morning in relation to the strike at Felixstowe port.
    Apologies. You are right. She was very impressive. Both she and Mick Lynch have been by far the most impressive communicators in recent weeks - far better than politicians.
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Thank you. I accept evidence of a grooming gang in Bradford. Were any (should really be most of them to support your argument) cab drivers?
    Stereodog said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

There’s something pleasing about the idea of the UK having to unilaterally disarm because of the Americans. I used to be a big supporter of nukes on pragmatic grounds but as I get older I wonder what the point is for the UK. The only choice they give us is to fire them with the Americans and in that situation what difference would they make. There’s no conceivable situation where we would independently use them even if it would be possible with the way our strategic nuclear stick is set up. They’re morally abhorrent and expensive so why bother? Russia isn’t nuking Germany or Italy because they don’t have nuclear weapons.
    If we decide to get rid of them, it is something else that the govt can sell into foreign ownership.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Thing is what difference does it make to Centrica (British gas) if we have no gas storage ? It makes no odds to their bottom line.
    It would because it would let them purchase and store energy at cheaper summer rates (when demand is often lower) for use in the winter...

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

During the war, the rapid building of ships in the US was laughed at by British shipbuilders, since it used a lot of extra workers.

The bit they missed was that by prefabing sections of the ship, this allowed more workers to work on the ship at the same time. The amount of man hours to build the ship didn’t change much. Just that the build time dropped massively.

When scaled back to a smaller workforce, the same methods meant that a smaller group of workers could build a better ship, more quickly and cheaper than traditional methods.

Prefabricated houses will be a huge growth industry in the next decade, for similar reasons. It will be cheaper to build a house of given quality off-site in a huge factory warehouse, and ship them to site in lorry trailer-sized sections, than to assemble large teams of building trades on each construction site.
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Thank you. I accept evidence of a grooming gang in Bradford. Were any (should really be most of them to support your argument) cab drivers?
    Wait. So your problem with my remark was that I was being mean about TAXI DRIVERS, not Muslims. Then why mention “racism”?

Anyway

“Taxi driver from Bradford jailed for raping passenger after helping her home”

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19580766.taxi-driver-bradford-jailed-raping-passenger-helping-home/
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Apologies. You are right. She was very impressive. Both she and Mick Lynch have been by far the most impressive communicators in recent weeks - far better than politicians.
    Union leaders more articulate than our political masters? How the pendulum swings... :D
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Mick Lynch here

“Mick Lynch: EU influence provoked the Russian invasion
    The RMT leader also suggested that Ukrainians ‘playing with Nazi imagery’ were partly responsible”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/12/mick-lynch-ukrainians-playing-nazi-imagery-provoked-russian/

Stereodog said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

If we decide to get rid of them, it is something else that the govt can sell into foreign ownership.
    Germany and Italy have nuclear weapons. They get to borrow US weapons under a long standing agreement.

US nuclear weapons are actually joint US/U.K. designs - the level of integration is quite startling. See Chuck Hansen, Swords of Armageddon.

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

If we posted up the Electoral Register for the same area, we could probably name ½ million Asian people who have never committed rape or any sex crime.
    What a brilliant intervention
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,742
    Leon said:

There’s no way I’m retiring to Bradford, Coventry or Birmingham. Not now

THEY’RE OFF THE LIST

So Newent it is!

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Union leaders more articulate than our political masters? How the pendulum swings... :D
    It was only at the end of the interview that I realised who she was but I found myself nodding along with what she was saying. She was very calm, clear and measured and knew her stuff. A welcome change from the usual bluster.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THEY’RE OFF THE LIST

So Newent it is!
    Or Wick.
    Dura_Ace said:

Stereodog said:

Germany and Italy are both in the NATO nuclear weapons sharing program so they have B61s available for delivery by their air forces.

However, Russia is conspicuously not nuking Denmark, Poland, Turkey, etc. who are not in the program.
    No guarantee on that, if Putin wanted to invade most of Europe the only nation with its own nukes he would definitely stop at would be France the rest all rely on the US and France to defend them with nukes of last resort but would France and the US really risk nuclear war with Russia to defend Copenhagen or Warsaw?
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Wait. So your problem with my remark was that I was being mean about TAXI DRIVERS, not Muslims. Then why mention “racism”?

Anyway

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19580766.taxi-driver-bradford-jailed-raping-passenger-helping-home/
    I had many problems with your remark.

To be in any way justified you need to show that the combination of being muslim and a taxi driver in Bradford is indicative of above population average likelihood of being a rapist (and, strictly a rapist of young white girls).

Otherwise, I can make a sweeping statement like "most male writers in their fifties are lechers" and then quote a few statements from one as evidence.
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stereodog said:

No guarantee on that, if Putin wanted to invade most of Europe the only nation with its own nukes he would definitely stop at would be France the rest all rely on the US and France to defend them with nukes of last resort but would France and the US really risk nuclear war with Russia to defend Copenhagen or Warsaw?
    Yes, that’s how NATO works.
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THEY’RE OFF THE LIST

So Newent it is!
    Or Wick.
    For a flint dildo knapper, the Wick never retires.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stereodog said:

What do you think the word risk means? There's a risk now that Putin could decide that supplying weapons that are killing thousands of his troops deserves direct retaliation.
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Mick Lynch here

The RMT leader also suggested that Ukrainians ‘playing with Nazi imagery’ were partly responsible”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/12/mick-lynch-ukrainians-playing-nazi-imagery-provoked-russian/
    I know that. Nonsense. But when he talks about the rail dispute he is impressive.

• StereodogStereodog Posts: 395
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stereodog said:

That was the point I was going to make. I reiterate what I said about strategic options. Is it conceivable or even possible that we would fire our nuclear weapons without the US having decided to fire theirs? If not then there’s no point having them.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,738
    Truss will unite the party

🚨Well this is very 'unusual'.

Commons taxpayer funded resources being used by Sunak campaign boss Mel Stride to attack Truss.

Chairman of Treasury Committee pushing it a bit here on the party politics.

Note Committee stuffed with Sunak loyalists- Davies, Browne, Hollinrake https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1562005773445627907/photo/1
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,716
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THEY’RE OFF THE LIST

So Newent it is!
    What's Clacton done wrong? Much more sun and much less rain!
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

What a brilliant intervention
    Thank you
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

They wrote their own names down at the crime scene has to be an entry for Darwin Awards surely?

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

THEY’RE OFF THE LIST

So Newent it is!
    What's Clacton done wrong? Much more sun and much less rain!
    And Leon moving there would mean accommodation is needed for 30,000 extra people, which would push house prices through the roof.
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Penddu2 said:

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

Prefabricated houses will be a huge growth industry in the next decade, for similar reasons. It will be cheaper to build a house of given quality off-site in a huge factory warehouse, and ship them to site in lorry trailer-sized sections, than to assemble large teams of building trades on each construction site.
    There is actually more work that can be done in reducing site man hours on plumbing and electrics. Snap together systems for electrics have been trialled and there are various plumbing systems. Not as funky as plug together buildings, but there could be big wins there.
    Anyway, more GP woes. Daughter got an appointment to speak to GP to get results of test. GP was meant to ring at 7 pm yesterday. By 8 pm no call.

This morning Daughter rings surgery at 8 am to get another appointment. After 25 minute wait to get through gets told that no appointments today and GP tried to call yesterday but no answer. Daughter firmly tells receptionist that there was no call and response is unacceptable. Receptionist then sees that note from GP says that Daughter needs an "urgent referral". So gives her another time between 2 - 3 pm today when GP will call.

We are all now worried. Who is she being referred to and for what and why can't this be communicated to her without all this faffing about?

What to do? Make a complaint? What?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,544

Kate Bush was top of charts recently. Actually seventies.

Also add Northern Ireland hitting the news for those strange but apparently very well connected people in nostalgia for that decade.

Is IMF still a thing?
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Anyway

I had many problems with your remark.

To be in any way justified you need to show that the combination of being muslim and a taxi driver in Bradford is indicative of above population average likelihood of being a rapist (and, strictly a rapist of young white girls).

Otherwise, I can make a sweeping statement like "most male writers in their fifties are lechers" and then quote a few statements from one as evidence.
    You’re so dim you didn’t realise there have been umpteen Muslim grooming cases in Bradford

I called you out then you claimed your issue was with my impugning cab drivers. It’s beyond
    ridiculous and barely worth engaging

However for what it is worth taxi drivers and taxi companies have been at the heart of many of these grooming gangs - they are an easy way to access victims, groom them, and drive them around to be raped - so yes I would hazard a guess cab drivers are over represented in this particular criminal cohort. And yes in Bradford

“A taxi driver, his uncle and nephew have been found guilty of raping a drunken school teacher after she was abducted in his cab.

The unconscious woman had passed out after drinking at a birthday celebration before she came round to find one of her abusers having sex with her.

At Bradford Crown Court Wakar Akhtar, 21, was sentenced to 17 years for rape in his absence after fleeing to Europe once he had given evidence. His co-defendents, private hire driver Tamseel Virk, 42; Azad Raja, 38, and Najeem Ul-Saeed, 31, all of Bradford, were also sentenced to 17 years for conspiracy to rape between May 25 and 26 last year.”
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It was only at the end of the interview that I realised who she was but I found myself nodding along with what she was saying. She was very calm, clear and measured and knew her stuff. A welcome change from the usual bluster.
    Wouldn't you say that she was very focussed on Felixstowe's profit, almost obsessed by it. Her simple Marxism shone brightly in a soft interview.

• Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Mick Lynch here

Yup, if you're a good enough communicator you can communicate utter drivel.

See also, Nigel Farage.

It's a dangerous talent, but difficult to do much about.
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

It would because it would let them purchase and store energy at cheaper summer rates (when demand is often lower) for use in the winter...
    That difference remains whatever the weather though, and there's a long term cost to holding storage facilities. And selling them off gets the cash in NOW :D
This discussion has been closed.