Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump back as favourite to win WH2014 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    edited August 2022
    Slightly better version of the Truss Pony picture, and a couple more nice ones:

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2022
    TimS said:

I have been playing around with Dall:E this month. It’s variable - some remarkably good results, some a bit meh.

Here’s three good examples:

The last one (unlabelled) was “Liz Truss as princess Celestia from My Little Pony”.

I think Dall-e has restrictions on famous people as this was its attempt at "portrait of tony blair in the style of chuck close"

Which, as you can see, looks nothing like Tony Blair, nor the style of Chuck Close.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    rcs1000 said:

Sort of on-topic... A- Rated pollster Public Opinion Strategies has a new Pennsylvania Senate poll out, and it gives Fetterman a staggering 17 point lead: https://www.politicspa.com/poll-fetterman-shapiro-extend-leads/111049/

And... the Cook Report has moved Pennsylvania into the Democrat column: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3606366-cook-report-shifts-pennsylvania-senate-race-to-lean-democrat/
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

CatMan said:
    Hmm. Mr Johnson leading that one too. "If Mr Johnson was still in the contest alongside Mr Sunak and Ms Truss, 46% would vote for Mr Johnson, 24% for Ms Truss and 23% for Mr Sunak".
    46% Bozo. 47% replace Bozo.
    Yep, but split ...
    That's FPTP for you.

It does look like a large part of Truss's likely triumph is going to come from the Free Deirdre Rachid Boris Johnson wing of the party. Which is going to make party management tricky, and might reduce the "new broom" impact of the regeneration.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    kle4 said:

MattW said:
    Israel most hated in Venezuela? Mexico and Russia also looks interesting (also Ethiopia/Kenya/Tanzania)- most of the answers seem to to be Russia with Europe (for obvious reasons right now), the USA (from actual rival and wannabe rival), Israel (for also obvious if sad reasons), and a few ones to do with close neighbours (Pakistan with India, Namibia and South Africa), so the non Europeans picking Russia, or places like Canada picking China, is interesting.

If it is fake, most of it is believable.
    If you zoom in on the uk you will see a little israel flag hovering over islington
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:
    There is an absolute humdinger of a fake twitter thread based on this policy floating around. I was initially taken in by it before I applied the necessary level of scepticism.

Shows even the most incredibly savvy and sophisticated internet user such as my self is vulnerable to propaganda crafted to hit preconceived biases.
    What did the fake tweet say? [I did a quick search but couldn't find anything about it].
    Can I echo @AndyJS in asking for this please.
    https://ifunny.co/picture/lesley-abravanel-lesleyabravanel-welcome-to-desantisstan-she-was-a-waitress-jApQIWMk9

As you can see a blue checkmark was taken in by it.

Here is the fact check.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-florida-teachers-idUSL1N2ZA22W

The most obviously fake thing about it is... the law has only just gone into effect!
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,138
    Alistair said:

TimS said:

I have been playing around with Dall:E this month. It’s variable - some remarkably good results, some a bit meh.

The last one (unlabelled) was “Liz Truss as princess Celestia from My Little Pony”.

I think Dall-e has restrictions on famous people as this was its attempt at "portrait of tony blair in the style of chuck close"

Which, as you can see, looks nothing like Tony Blair, nor the style of Chuck Close.

It blocked any attempt at Boris, Trump, Macron etc. But somehow Truss got through. Not famous enough perhaps (yet).
    TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

It blocked any attempt at Boris, Trump, Macron etc. But somehow Truss got through. Not famous enough perhaps (yet).
    Weirdly for my Tony Blair prompt it also produced this which, to its credit is sort of in the style of Chuck Close post stroke but is clearly of Jack Straw

• LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    A wonderful thread of early Dalle-2 pictures. ie the pics that made early users sit up and think FUCK, this tech is incredible, something weird has arrived

"The eye of the rose":

Superb stuff:

https://twitter.com/dbonneville/status/1559061318765662208?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

Time to panic again?

No idea if this account is legit/well informed/whatever

He does have 115,000 followers

"Russian military vehicles *inside* the #Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant. Sources of investigative reporters at the Insider previously stated the vehicles were filled with explosives as they were taken inside the buildings."

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1560354060716412931?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

Isn't some Russian nuclear naughtiness likely to **** up Belarus and vast swathes of Russia too?
    What Nick Palmer indicates is the likely truth I think. Russia is cynically using the plant to sheild its artillery. Ukraine is probably going to attack it anyway. The explanation covers all the bases.
    Except the question why Ukraine would shell an active nuclear plant on its own territory, and do it to a timetable spookily predicted by its enemy (if that is what happens). And why anyone not a pro-russian troll would not be neutral between the competing theories pending events.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Would it be possible to convey a message to Putin that a nuclear disaster at Enerhodar means he would be a dead man walking?

There appear to be an awful lot of explosions going on tonight - Belgorod, Crimea, Kherson - and a UAV apparently shot down near the Kerch bridge.

I wonder if some special forces are going to turn up at the power plant later whilst all this is going on. Risky, but then so is the current situation.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2022
    This thread has had a meltdown

Fake news, must be Russian propaganda. Someone has hacked the view counter.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Time to panic again?

"Russian military vehicles *inside* the #Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant. Sources of investigative reporters at the Insider previously stated the vehicles were filled with explosives as they were taken inside the buildings."

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1560354060716412931?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

Isn't some Russian nuclear naughtiness likely to **** up Belarus and vast swathes of Russia too?
    What Nick Palmer indicates is the likely truth I think. Russia is cynically using the plant to sheild its artillery. Ukraine is probably going to attack it anyway. The explanation covers all the bases.
    Except the question why Ukraine would shell an active nuclear plant on its own territory, and do it to a timetable spookily predicted by its enemy (if that is what happens). And why anyone not a pro-russian troll would not be neutral between the competing theories pending events.
    Unless the Ukrainians have gone mad (I suppose war does do that to people) I can't see how they would take any risk of nuclear catastrophe in their own country. They know more than anyone what it means.

But for Putin it another way to sow fear. He needs to be stopped somehow.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    edited August 2022
    Off Topic

Thoughts and prayers for GB News as Discovery sells its stake.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:
    There is an absolute humdinger of a fake twitter thread based on this policy floating around. I was initially taken in by it before I applied the necessary level of scepticism.

Shows even the most incredibly savvy and sophisticated internet user such as my self is vulnerable to propaganda crafted to hit preconceived biases.
    Is this fake? Probably. Oh well.

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Off Topic

Sorry Pete, not as big a deal as you think nor 'sends a signal'.

Warner Bros Discovery CEO said last week that the company was changing strategy and not making so wild bets as in the past - and GB News is that.

Still the fact that GB News is now being funded by wealthy individuals who believe in it and it's message is probably the best thing for continued funding for the channel. John Malone can be quite ruthless with things .

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Time to panic again?

Unless the Ukrainians have gone mad (I suppose war does do that to people) I can't see how they would take any risk of nuclear catastrophe in their own country. They know more than anyone what it means.

But for Putin it another way to sow fear. He needs to be stopped somehow.
    Yes, cui bono? Obviously more to the Russians than the Ukrainians. Which suggests....

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    At the risk of incurring @Leon's wrath, but those Dalle pictures are utter shite.
    MrEd said:

Off Topic

Sorry Pete, not as big a deal as you think nor 'sends a signal'.

Warner Bros Discovery CEO said last week that the company was changing strategy and not making so wild bets as in the past - and GB News is that.

Still the fact that GB News is now being funded by wealthy individuals who believe in it and it's message is probably the best thing for continued funding for the channel. John Malone can be quite ruthless with things .

Wealthy individuals that both you and I know ;-)

That.is so shit it's laughable.
    Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Weirdly for my Tony Blair prompt it also produced this which, to its credit is sort of in the style of Chuck Close post stroke but is clearly of Jack Straw

Leon said:

A wonderful thread of early Dalle-2 pictures. ie the pics that made early users sit up and think FUCK, this tech is incredible, something weird has arrived

"The eye of the rose":

Superb stuff:

https://twitter.com/dbonneville/status/1559061318765662208?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

What do you get if you ask for "a mysterious, diamond-shaped flying object hovering in the middle of the sky, near Calvine, Scotland"?
    Results are a bit shit to be honest
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

This is absolutely fucking mesmerising

Dalle-2 has imagined and animated the entire history of the universe

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1559443877257392128?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

Golly

I don't see how getting the whole timeline pretty much right can be put down to pattern matching

Some obvious bloopers, it thinks pyramids were built ready-vandalised
    What we don't know is the level of prompting and curation required to get the animation.

Edit to add:
    This is an excellent article about the use of AI writing tools by authors to allow them to churn out books more quickly: https://www.theverge.com/c/23194235/ai-fiction-writing-amazon-kindle-sudowrite-jasper
    Remarkable, and terrifying, as is often the case with AI these days

"They went back and forth. “He was insistent,” she said. “I was like, ‘I didn’t write that. I swear to you, I didn’t write it.’ I think that was the first thing that started making me uncomfortable, that something could mimic me with such accuracy that the man I was married to, who knew me better than any person on the planet, couldn’t tell the difference."

Jesus FC

I predict these machines will largely replace human writers within 10-15 years. They will produce brilliant novels, scripts, poems, plays, histories. and we will read them

I just hope they never come for the dildo-makers
    Kind of resenting I wasted a Dalle credit on that
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    "Lockdown effects feared to be killing more people than Covid
    Unexplained excess deaths outstrip those from virus as medics call figures ‘terrifying’

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

The effects of lockdown may now be killing more people than are dying of Covid, official statistics suggest. Figures for excess deaths from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that around 1,000 more people than usual are dying each week from conditions other than the virus."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/18/lockdown-effects-feared-killing-people-covid

How much do you want to bet Fetternan wins by 17% in November?
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sort of on-topic... A- Rated pollster Public Opinion Strategies has a new Pennsylvania Senate poll out, and it gives Fetterman a staggering 17 point lead: https://www.politicspa.com/poll-fetterman-shapiro-extend-leads/111049/

And... the Cook Report has moved Pennsylvania into the Democrat column: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3606366-cook-report-shifts-pennsylvania-senate-race-to-lean-democrat/
    Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Looks more like Donald Rumsfeld in the 1980s IMO.
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

He won't win by double digits.

But, so long as he stays healthy, I think Fetterman is looking increasingly likely to win in November.

Cyclefree said:

At the risk of incurring @Leon's wrath, but those Dalle pictures are utter shite.

I've noticed this bizarrely scatological reaction to Dalle-2 in many people. People who react emotionally, as you have done - they don't just say "it's poor", or "not so good" or "hmm" - they say "it's utter shite", "it's shit", "it's a turd"

Honestly, this is an actual thing. You just did it again

It's because people are scared, it's a reaction of fear and revulsion: at seeing a machine exhibit a human trait. The monster emerging from uncanny valley. You often find it in people with a modicum of artistic talent but not a great deal. They have some imagination but not a vast amount, but enough to feel the fear at being potentially replaced

@Theuniondivvie exhibited it, too, just like you
    MrEd said:

That.is so shit it's laughable.

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

And again

• CatManCatMan Posts: 2,720
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Not sure it does. For comparison here's an actual picture of him from the 80s:

• Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I've noticed this bizarrely scatological reaction to Dalle-2 in many people. People who react emotionally, as you have done - they don't just say "it's poor", or "not so good" or "hmm" - they say "it's utter shite", "it's shit", "it's a turd"

It's because people are scared, it's a reaction of fear and revulsion: at seeing a machine exhibit a human trait. The monster emerging from uncanny valley. You often find it in people with a modicum of artistic talent but not a great deal. They have some imagination but not a vast amount, but enough to feel the fear at being potentially replaced

Yeah, it's just like asking a flint-knapper about UAPs!
    CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Not sure it does. For comparison here's an actual picture of him from the 80s:

I think it's pretty close to him, maybe the 1990s rather than 1980s.
  • rcs1000 said:

I would like to congratulate all the PBers whose children got such excellent A Level results.

Personally, I'm still waiting for my 12 year old son to learn how to lift the toilet seat, but you lot have really given me hope.

And, appropriately for the current energy situation, once they reach the age of 12 they find it impossible to turn lights off.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    Alistair said:

TimS said:

That's poor.

It reminds me of when I got my "caricature" done by this street artist at Montmartre a few years ago.

I stood there, he stared intently and drew like a
    man possessed with the compulsion to capture what he was seeing - ie me - the excitement building at my end and then ... god what a letdown. It looked like just a random face.

I very nearly didn't pay.
    edited August 2022
    Dalle2 is also getting better at faces (when allowed)

At first glance it is hard to believe this isn't a real person, but it is not a real person. What's with the clingfilm on her neck

Once it is truly allowed to let rip with genuine faces, holy shit

"Experimenting with different lighting setups with #dalle2 and the results are consistently stunning. I am missing the ability to reuse seeds here. I would love the chance to tweak an output to improve the way I prompt. Without it, tweaking prompts involves a lot of guesswork."

https://twitter.com/TomLikesRobots/status/1559846133064732672?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Alistair said:

TimS said:

Gerard Houlier meets Peter Sellers for me.
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not an artist. I can't draw to save my life. I don't feel fear or revulsion. I have never commented on Dalle before. I am just pointing out that to me they look awful, utterly third rate. The trait it exhibits is mediocrity.

The only person going on endlessly about Dalle is you - and in a manner which suggests that what you project onto me and others is what you feel. Probably.

I am not bothering with Dalle again.

I have had quite a lot of experience of AI in my professional life and jolly useful it can be. It can also be a trap for those fools who believe that one system will be the answer to their problem. It never is.
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not an artist. I can't draw to save my life. I don't feel fear or revulsion. I have never commented on Dalle before. I am just pointing out that to me they look awful, utterly third rate. The trait it exhibits is mediocrity.

The only person going on endlessly about Dalle is you - and in a manner which suggests that what you project onto me and others is what you feel. Probably.

I have had quite a lot of experience of AI in my professional life and jolly useful it can be. It can also be a trap for those fools who believe that one system will be the answer to their problem. It never is.
    lol. I haven't mentioned Dalle-2 in many weeks!

Your over-reaction is fascinating, and one I have noted before, in others. That is all
    edited August 2022
    I love the story about Clement Freud telling people in the Isle of Ely by-election to bet on him at enormous odds and then voting for him in order to collect the winnings.
    Leon said:

At first glance it is hard to believe this isn't a real person, but it is not a real person. What's with the clingfilm on her neck

"Experimenting with different lighting setups with #dalle2 and the results are consistently stunning. I am missing the ability to reuse seeds here. I would love the chance to tweak an output to improve the way I prompt. Without it, tweaking prompts involves a lot of guesswork."

https://twitter.com/TomLikesRobots/status/1559846133064732672?s=20&t=yAAzIec8tv1mmZnNLdU44Q

Too perfect to be a real person.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,051
    Andy_JS said:

Unexplained excess deaths outstrip those from virus as medics call figures ‘terrifying’

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

The effects of lockdown may now be killing more people than are dying of Covid, official statistics suggest. Figures for excess deaths from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show that around 1,000 more people than usual are dying each week from conditions other than the virus."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/18/lockdown-effects-feared-killing-people-covid

We know that vascular disease and diabetes are more common after covid. Why be so sure these deaths are not covid related?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00403-0
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...
    Trump picked the TV doctor guy who doesn't live in the state.

What could possibly go wrong?

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I commented once on the tidal wave of guff you've produced on the subject. Like most people you have an opinion on 'art', I just happen to have a better educated one but don't feel the need to trumpet it all the time.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,395
    Also, "sort of on topic": Recently, I have begun to suspect that Dr. Oz doesn't want to be a senator from Pennsyslvania, probably not a senator at all. If he was assuming that he would lose in the primary -- and it was close -- he might have seen his primary run as a way to revive his career as a celebrity. So now he is going through the motions, but not spending much, if any, of his own money on it.

Nor has he given up his Turkish citizenship.

(As an Armenian genocide denier, he is lucky that there isn't a big Armenian vote in PA, though I did know an Armenian when I lived there.)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

It's a little impressive and improving all the time. But not as yet earth shattering.
    Is that OK?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,262
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

'She' looks rather creepy to me. Far from perfect imo.
    edited August 2022
    First I've heard of it. Is it named after Salvador?
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps

Imagine what this tech will do when it is let off the leash. It can create gorgeous human faces and bodies. It can move them around - imaginatively

It will create fake actors and actresses of flawless, hypnotic beauty, and we will love them; it will give them exactly the right voices and mannerisms to be charming and sexy - it will make the best Hollywood Stars in history. They will never age, or get drunk, they will never slap someone at the Oscars, they will work for nothing, in movies which are entirely generated - people, scenes, locations, words - by computer

It will be dazzling. The best movies ever made. And it will be inhuman, in all senses of the word
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

We know that vascular disease and diabetes are more common after covid. Why be so sure these deaths are not covid related?

The long-term increased risk of developing psychiatric conditions has made me glad of not having caught in yet.

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

I commented once on the tidal wave of guff you've produced on the subject. Like most people you have an opinion on 'art', I just happen to have a better educated one but don't feel the need to trumpet it all the time.
    Ahahahah

Bullseye
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Your over-reaction is fascinating, and one I have noted before, in others. That is all
    You are very repetitive to be fair: woke, aliens, AI, woke, aliens, AI,...

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...

That's 1 of the 25 reasons Trump won't see the WH again.

He's believing his own hype.
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

The long-term increased risk of developing psychiatric conditions has made me glad of not having caught in yet.
    ???
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,182
    Has anyone been watching the athletics this evening? Time was, British athletes were household names, but athletics has faded from view in the last few decades. And so when a British athlete wins a medal, you haven't heard of her and have to look her up. I was particularly struck by this woman, not only because she is enjoyably pretty and pleasingly articulate. She puts me oddly in mind of what my middle daughter might be looking like in 15 years time if she had a West Indian father rather than a fat pasty northern one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazmin_Sawyers
    Interestingly, as well as being a long jumper, she is a heptathlete, bobsledder, and singer songwriter.
    Also interestingly her mother is chief constable of Staffordshire.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

It's a little impressive and improving all the time. But not as yet earth shattering.
    Is that OK?
    Yes

But it is way more than "a little impressive"

It is a phenomenal tool. I have used it. My older daughter has access (yet not me!). She lets me create stuff

You can roll the dice six times and get a lot of MEH, but then suddenly it will produce something incredible - funny, creepy. ravishing, unsettling, inspiring, sexy, whatever

Also: imagine the porn it will be able to make. You will be able to instruct it specifically: "I want to see a naked Spanish lady in a sombrero being slowly whipped by two tall Russian Tsarist guardsmen in a dental clinic in Los Angeles in the 1940s, and then they are discovered by her shorter ginger sister who enthusiastically joins in"

Something that ticks all your kinky boxes. Then Dalle-5 will go away and produce a porno film that exactly matches your desires. It won't involve anyone real but you won't be able to tell. So it will successfully make you cum
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Well if "AI" is going to replace humans I guess that's the main thing it needs to get off pat - mediocrity.
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

Yes, there is that too.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2022-08-18-increased-risk-some-neurological-and-psychiatric-disorders-remains-two-years-after

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

You forgot the Instagram dinners.
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

One of my professional projects at the moment is working with one of the biggest AI providers in the legal/investigative space. It is fascinating and will undoubtedly shake things up for the better if used intelligently. There is some resistance to it - not because people fear it but because they do not, foolishly, in my view, see its value. I recently gave a talk on this very topic. I am looking forward to learning more over the next year

If it pleases you to present yourself on PB as the far-seeing seer and the rest of us as Luddites who am I to spoil your fun.

But you are I hope intelligent enough to realise that what we present on here is not a complete portrait of our interests, knowledge or professional expertise.

And, yes, those pictures are still rubbish. My opinion not an over-reaction. For that I'd politely suggest a mirror.

Night night.

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Sarah Knapton
    Science Editor

???
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2200960119
    And
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(22)00260-7/fulltext
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Time to panic again?

Possibly because they think they can hit the military bits that are there without causing a critical issue in the plant? It is disgusting of the Russians to put weapons in there. However, I don't see why they would blow up their own weapons, in a nuclear power station, and try to pin it on the Ukrainians, but somehow it's meant to be a Russian show of ruthless resolve? That's not me being neutral, it's my best guess as to what might actually be happening.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited August 2022
    CatMan said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Dude in the movie might have been a properly retrained and qualified teacher for all we know. It was the lesson which was cartoonly fascist.
    kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Well if "AI" is going to replace humans I guess that's the main thing it needs to get off pat - mediocrity.
    That's actually a serious truth, and it is another version of what I am saying. AI will come for the artistically mediocre first - the people who are pretty good with words, images, whatever, but no more than that - which is why they are the ones - at the moment - most instantly fearful of it, the ones who reject it with "take this shit away"

But in the end it will come for everyone, yay, even the flint sex toy makers

This is not, by the way, an evolution I desire. It could be awful and tragic. I just don't see how this phenomenal tech won't do this, given how fast it is improving in all fields. Unless we actively stop developing it
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...

That's 1 of the 25 reasons Trump won't see the WH again.

He's believing his own hype.
    It's worked for him up to this point (even losing in 2020 hasn't weakened his self hype working on its targets). About time it stopped.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Looks like a real human being to me. I wouldn't use a word like perfect but there's no uncanny valley effect from it (except maybe around the neck).
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps

Imagine what this tech will do when it is let off the leash. It can create gorgeous human faces and bodies. It can move them around - imaginatively

It will create fake actors and actresses of flawless, hypnotic beauty, and we will love them; it will give them exactly the right voices and mannerisms to be charming and sexy - it will make the best Hollywood Stars in history. They will never age, or get drunk, they will never slap someone at the Oscars, they will work for nothing, in movies which are entirely generated - people, scenes, locations, words - by computer

It will be dazzling. The best movies ever made. And it will be inhuman, in all senses of the word
    This is why I was pro-tech until about 5 years ago and now I'm sceptical.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

That's actually a serious truth, and it is another version of what I am saying. AI will come for the artistically mediocre first - the people who are pretty good with words, images, whatever, but no more than that - which is why they are the ones - at the moment - most instantly fearful of it, the ones who reject it with "take this shit away"

This is not, by the way, an evolution I desire. It could be awful and tragic. I just don't see how this phenomenal tech won't do this, given how fast it is improving in all fields. Unless we actively stop developing it
    At the moment however AI still seems to create within the boundaries of what it has been programmed with, its creativity is limited beyond that
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

I think the map is a work of fiction.

According to the source, the data is from "Alliance of Dem", which Google tells me is "Alliance of Democracies".

And while there is a lot of interesting stuff on the Alliance of Democracies website (https://www.allianceofdemocracies.org/home/archive/publications/), I'm not seeing anything like the data used in the map.

Might be this. But this only surveys 53 countries.

https://www.allianceofdemocracies.org/initiatives/the-copenhagen-democracy-summit/dpi-2022/
    The data table is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gdjTHqM_O2kDNyFgvLWVsCn4lFWzFRoMRUdTelXxTM4/edit#gid=1271546525

And the question is not "which country do you hate most?" but "What is your overall perception of country [x]?" And there are only a very limited number of countries listed, and the UK is not one of them. And nor, for that matter, is Israel.

Edit to add: so, it's not quite a total invention. But it's damned close.
    From the data table - I'd love to see the 39% of the people in the UK or Canada who think their countries aren't democracies (or the 11% who think we have too much democracy) dropped in North Korea or Xinjiang for a day or two.

I'd guess that not many Hong Kong or Somali refugees were among them.

That column just shows how much people take their freedoms for granted.
    Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

According to the source, the data is from "Alliance of Dem", which Google tells me is "Alliance of Democracies".

And while there is a lot of interesting stuff on the Alliance of Democracies website (https://www.allianceofdemocracies.org/home/archive/publications/), I'm not seeing anything like the data used in the map.

https://www.allianceofdemocracies.org/initiatives/the-copenhagen-democracy-summit/dpi-2022/
    The data table is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gdjTHqM_O2kDNyFgvLWVsCn4lFWzFRoMRUdTelXxTM4/edit#gid=1271546525

And the question is not "which country do you hate most?" but "What is your overall perception of country [x]?" And there are only a very limited number of countries listed, and the UK is not one of them. And nor, for that matter, is Israel.

From the data table - I'd love to see the 39% of the people in the UK or Canada who think their countries aren't democracies (or the 11% who think we have too much democracy) dropped in North Korea or Xinjiang for a day or two.

The UK is an elective oligarchy by any reasonable definition. Not complaining, everything I know about true full fat democracy (ancient Athens, and Brexit) makes me shudder. But that is what it is.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022
    "My Little Pony" is about the level at which DALLE-2 produces its "art". Here is the shite garbage it came up with when I entered "A Shetland pony, painted in the style of Leonora Carrington":

And from "A forest glade, painted in the style of Leonora Carrington" it made these:

That third one maybe might have something with some more work on it, but none of the eight is anything like as evocative or expressive as anything by Carrington.

Computer programs have no imagination whatsoever, never will have any, and all in all are a bunch of poseurs.

• nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    The government is planning a huge overseas recruitment drive to plug the gap in the NHS and social care . Barclays is targeting those from India and the Philippines .

Of course Barclays daren’t try and recruit from the EU seeing as he was part of the Leave campaign who told EU workers to get lost .

And those workers hardly feel welcome after being scapegoated by the hateful right wing press .
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

At the moment however AI still seems to create within the boundaries of what it has been programmed with, its creativity is limited beyond that
    But that's not true

In multiple ways these new neural programmes and whatnot are massively outperforming expectations. eg GPT-3 can draw from verbal prompts like "give me a picture of a Japanese radish pulling a dog on a strong". If you ask for that, GPT3 can draw that (and did so). It doesn't do it anywhere near as good as Dalle-2 but Dalle-2 was trained on images, GPT-3 was not. That's the killer. No one expected it to have this skill, not its creators, yet GPT-3 exhibited that skill, to everyone's amazement. And they still don't know HOW. They can't poke around inside to see what neurones are triggering what

Imagine how GPT-5 will surprise us? Perhaps it will learn how to win elections. Why not
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,081
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Looks like a real human being to me. I wouldn't use a word like perfect but there's no uncanny valley effect from it (except maybe around the neck).
    I think This Person Does Not Exist is still producing better results for this particular scenario than DallE

https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Another case of "Brace" then by the sounds of it.

Ah well.
    IshmaelZ said:

Fishing said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

The UK is an elective oligarchy by any reasonable definition. Not complaining, everything I know about true full fat democracy (ancient Athens, and Brexit) makes me shudder. But that is what it is.
    When people answer the question about if they are democracies I doubt they are judging that against the standards of direct athenian style democracy. If they think there are flaws in our democracy it's rather vital to know what flaws and how big they are to know if it is an issue. A problem with the voting system, for example, or media control etc.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Cookie said:

Has anyone been watching the athletics this evening? Time was, British athletes were household names, but athletics has faded from view in the last few decades. And so when a British athlete wins a medal, you haven't heard of her and have to look her up. I was particularly struck by this woman, not only because she is enjoyably pretty and pleasingly articulate. She puts me oddly in mind of what my middle daughter might be looking like in 15 years time if she had a West Indian father rather than a fat pasty northern one.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazmin_Sawyers
    Interestingly, as well as being a long jumper, she is a heptathlete, bobsledder, and singer songwriter.
    Also interestingly her mother is chief constable of Staffordshire.

You might also have seen her on TV advertising Olay skin cream.
    Dynamo said:

"My Little Pony" is about the level at which DALLE-2 produces its "art". Here is the shite garbage it came up with when I entered "A Shetland pony, painted in the style of Leonora Carrington":

And from "A forest glade, painted in the style of Leonora Carrington" it made these:

That third one maybe might have something with some more work on it, but none of the eight is anything like as evocative or expressive as anything by Carrington.

Computer programs have no imagination whatsoever, never will have any, and all in all are a bunch of poseurs.

OR you have not learned how to give good prompts. That is a skill in itself

edited August 2022
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I think This Person Does Not Exist is still producing better results for this particular scenario than DallE

That certainly is convincing. From video games I gather lighting of skin textures realistically is very complex. Oftentimes people are too smooth and shiny, or too grizzled.

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...

There's a lot of evidence that candidates without political experience do - on average - worse that seasoned politicians.

See 538: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-hard-to-win-a-senate-race-when-youve-never-won-an-election-before/

And the Republicans have managed to put up an awful lot of inexperienced candidates in key Senatorial contests:

Oz in Pennsylvania - was a pro-Choice doctor, and has little connection with the State
    Masters in Arizona - worked for Peter Thiel's hedge fund; thinks that the dollar should be replaced by Bitcoin; speaks in a monotone with weird pauses
    Walker in Georgia - was an American football player
    Vance in Ohio - wrote a book, and worked as a venture capitalist

Only in Nevada have the Republicans picked an experienced politico - and Laxalit is looking odds on to win that race, even though it should be a much harder State for the Republicans than (say) Georgia or Pennsylvania.
    nico679 said:

The government is planning a huge overseas recruitment drive to plug the gap in the NHS and social care . Barclays is targeting those from India and the Philippines .

Of course Barclays daren’t try and recruit from the EU seeing as he was part of the Leave campaign who told EU workers to get lost .

And those workers hardly feel welcome after being scapegoated by the hateful right wing press .

Also more likely to be permanent immigrants, rather than temporary, and to set up chain migration.

Mind you, I really rate our Keralan and Philippine nurses, a great bunch of colleagues
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

But that's not true

In multiple ways these new neural programmes and whatnot are massively outperforming expectations. eg GPT-3 can draw from verbal prompts like "give me a picture of a Japanese radish pulling a dog on a strong". If you ask for that, GPT3 can draw that (and did so). It doesn't do it anywhere near as good as Dalle-2 but Dalle-2 was trained on images, GPT-3 was not. That's the killer. No one expected it to have this skill, not its creators, yet GPT-3 exhibited that skill, to everyone's amazement. And they still don't know HOW. They can't poke around inside to see what neurones are triggering what

Imagine how GPT-5 will surprise us? Perhaps it will learn how to win elections. Why not
    Well obviously as it has been programmed to know what a Japanese radish, a dog and a string look like
    mwadams said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Dalle-2 is much more creative, however. Here are some more fake people

If I didn't know these "faces" were invented from scratch by a machine I would say these are real images of real people, altered by a talented photography student at St Martin's School of Art

edited August 2022
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps

We're almost there already. Most Hollywood movies contain far, far more special effects than you think. Basically: it's pointless hiring extras or building sets. Increasingly, it is only the leading actors that are human.
    edited August 2022
    Dynamo said:

Bit harsh to complain about My Little Pony if you give it that prompt. If you want peaches, don't plant cabbages (Chinese proverb)

I don't think anyone is looking for imagination at this stage, let alone Carrington level ability. What I would say is it's spooky how the h8rz sound exactly like their own great grandparents telling Picasso that their 5 year old drew better than he did.

eta i love the top left pony anyway.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

But that's not true

Well obviously as it has been programmed to know what a Japanese radish, a dog and a string look like
    How does that make it different from you?

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Dalle-2 is pretty amazing: are we sure it was really created by humans?
  • IshmaelZ said:

Dynamo said:

Bit harsh to complain about My Little Pony if you give it that prompt. If you want peaches, don't plant cabbages (Chinese proverb)

I don't think anyone is looking for imagination at this stage, let alone Carrington level ability. What I would say is it's spooky how the h8rz sound exactly like their own great grandparents telling Picasso that their 5 year old drew better than he did.

eta i love the top left pony anyway.
    Kandinski.
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

But that's not true

As human artists draw things themselves inspired by the view, their thoughts etc not what someone told them to draw
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    CatMan said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

To some of us of a certain vintage, Starship Trooper means only one thing.

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Slip sliding away ...

There's a lot of evidence that candidates without political experience do - on average - worse that seasoned politicians.

See 538: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its-hard-to-win-a-senate-race-when-youve-never-won-an-election-before/

And the Republicans have managed to put up an awful lot of inexperienced candidates in key Senatorial contests:

Oz in Pennsylvania - was a pro-Choice doctor, and has little connection with the State
    Masters in Arizona - worked for Peter Thiel's hedge fund; thinks that the dollar should be replaced by Bitcoin; speaks in a monotone with weird pauses
    Walker in Georgia - was an American football player
    Vance in Ohio - wrote a book, and worked as a venture capitalist

Only in Nevada have the Republicans picked an experienced politico - and Laxalit is looking odds on to win that race, even though it should be a much harder State for the Republicans than (say) Georgia or Pennsylvania.
    The success of the occasional Trump, big names but not from within standard political approaches, probably makes people assume it will work for them too with no real experience, when as we've seen even getting selected is not necessarily easy, and being an actual outsider (with or without a big name) can be a real disadvantage to both winning and managing things if you do win. Not always, sure, but the Trumps of the world are exceptional.

It's one of those areas where many 'X is the Trump of Y' comparisons break down a bit, as often such figures are similar in style and messaing sometimes, but are part of the established political elite, with a lot of experience of some level of politics.

CatMan said:

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

To some of us of a certain vintage, Starship Trooper means only one thing.

Time and a word?
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

But that's not true

As human artists draw things themselves inspired by the view, their thoughts etc not what someone told them to draw
    Plenty of them do commissions, and if they know what a radish looks like, it's from being shown [pictures of] radishes
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps

We're almost there already. Most Hollywood movies contain far, far more special effects than you think. Basically: it's pointless hiring extras or building sets. Increasingly, it is only the leading actors that are human.
    And then the leading actors too will go

The potential is obvious and mind boggling. For a start Hollywood studios will be able to revive, with total accuracy, much loved stars from the past. A young De Niro. Cary Grant. Marilyn Monroe. Liz Taylor age 19. Or beloved comedians that everyone misses, Woody Allen before he got cranky, Gene Wilder, the Pythons at their peak

They will star in new fake movies. and people will love them once more, just as they did. So there will be no need for actual annoying humans with their flaws and ageing faces and liking for underage boys, or bourbon and cocaine

Or maybe the studios will inject the computer actors with flaws to make them even more believable? Fuck knows
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    edited August 2022
    Oh I see, DALLE-2 lets you give it a helping hand, as if you were a Richard Dawkins-style wholly objective and material reality-based evolution "guide"... This is what I got after a few rounds of assisted variation. Goodness knows why they are so symmetrical. They can perhaps be compared in artistic quality to paintings by bottom-of-the-market artists, but even a two-bit painter would surely do a better job at producing a pretend Carrington if they put their back into it?

Seriously - a forest glade, painted in the style of LC! It's not hard to imagine loads of things that could go into that glade... but this is what the great DALLE-2 can come up with after repeatedly being helped!

• I typed in "A tram at the newly opened Edgbaston Village tram stop on 16th August":

My willingness to be impressed with technology is almost entirely dependent on how hard I think it would be for me to recreate it.

Take Microsoft Word. If you gave me infinite time, I could recreate it.

By contrast, I couldn't design even a simple microprocessor, despite having read reasonably extensively on the subject.

Dalle-2 definitely comes in the first category.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes, perhaps

And then the leading actors too will go

The potential is obvious and mind boggling. For a start Hollywood studios will be able to revive, with total accuracy, much loved stars from the past. A young De Niro. Cary Grant. Marilyn Monroe. Liz Taylor age 19. Or beloved comedians that everyone misses, Woody Allen before he got cranky, Gene Wilder, the Pythons at their peak

They will star in new fake movies. and people will love them once more, just as they did. So there will be no need for actual annoying humans with their flaws and ageing faces and liking for underage boys, or bourbon and cocaine

Or maybe the studios will inject the computer actors with flaws to make them even more believable? Fuck knows
    I think in the near future ,audiences can opt to be in the film themselves taking on the lead roles
This discussion has been closed.