Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Yet again the Oxford stranglehold on No.10 continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Great goal.

Keeper too far to her left... and too small.
    Well that is a weakness in women's football. Many of the goalies aren't that large.

I presume as with other sports, if you are a women who is far far taller than the average there are lots of other sports where this advantage can be utilised and which pay more money.
    Every play in a full sized goal as a child/teenager? It's a miserable experience I can tell you, most unfair.
    My niece is about to go to the US on a scholarship. She plays as a goal keeper for the Hearts youth team and has been on the periphery of the Scotland squad, again at youth level. She is very fit but only about 5ft 6. When you see her in the goal it looks huge.

That's pretty short.
    However. Jordan Pickford is 6 1. It isn't all about height. Though it helps.
    Average height in EPL I think is 6ft 3. It is rather a position where height, or rather wing spam, is a significant help.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,503
    England v Spain gone to extra time. A cracker of a game. The standard of the women’s game is rising very, very quickly. A real nail-biting match with superb players.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

53 years ago today, mankind first walked on the Moon.

It will not be 10 years before the next man or woman walks on the moon.
    And it will not be 20 years before someone takes a first step on Mars.

Agreed. It will be more like 30 and 50.
    ;)

Mars is very uncertain, even if Loony Musk said in 2018 that there would be a base on Mars by 2028 (hint: he's wrong.) But if he can maintain funding and not have to waste all his money buying Twitter for way over its value, then 20 years, or 9 synods, would be doable. In fact, I reckon 9 years of 4 synods may be possible. The people may not get back, though ...

As for the Moon: the US's Artemis program is due to land humans back on the Moon in 2025. If they fail, China is considering one by 2027; if not, the early 2030s.
    Happy to bet £250 evens no human to walk on Mars by 20 July 2042
    It's far too uncertain to even posit making a bet. But it took less than ten years to go from no manned flight to men
    stepping on the Moon, from a much smaller tech base and experience level (albeit the Apollo program had been underway in NASA/NACA for a couple of years before that).

I have zero doubt that humans could land safely on Mars in ten years. Technically, it can be done. It therefore becomes a matter of cost, and therefore politics. Unless someone like Musk can throw money at it (latest figures say his Mars rocket has cost $10 billion already), then it becomes a political question.

And that's where the uncertainty comes in. Will an individual such as Musk, or a country like China or the USA, see the prestige of being first on Mars being worth the cost?

We could easily get people on Mars (and back) by 2042. What's stopping us is the finance - and Musk is trying to short-circuit that issue.
    There’s a lot more than zero doubt.
    I’ve little doubt landing a human on Mars would be possible quite soon, but doing so safely is quite another matter.
    For example, how many of these risks have fully been addressed ?
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41526-020-00124-6
    I've made similar points many times in the past, including on the various SpaceX subreddits. Mankind has only spent a few weeks total outside the van Allen belts during the Apollo missions. Musk is talking about months and years. Then there are the problems with consumables such as air and water: even with recycling, the ISS requires regular reprovisioning with water (the O2 is split from the water).

Fans say that Starship is so big you'll be able to carry enough consumables. Whilst that may be true, it is still mass that needs lifting to orbit and launching to Mars, and mass that could be used for something else. Then there's the problem with micrometeroids: the JWST has already been hit by one.

But given enough money and redundancy, we could get around them. The more mass we can send, the easier most problems become to solve.
    You are also missing starlink - which has made a fortune from fixing the last mile issue for the FCC that had a $16bn kitty to spend on getting all the US connected to the internet.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Sunak is going to lose and a whole section of the commentariat will be completely bemused despite him consistently polling miles behind everyone else in the leadership contents

The irony being Sunak was the hardcore Brexiter Thatcherite.
    Whilst Truss was the Remainer Lib Dem.
    We have always been at War with Eastasia.
    People evolve, those who don't are rather creepy and untrustworthy - like Corbyn still being stuck with the same views he had in the 1970s.
    Well. Indeed they do.
    However the Tories appear to be searching for the one most resembling their leader in the Seventies.
    Unfortunately not resembling the Pro-European views of their two leaders in the Seventies.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Belated comment, but I am most disappointed Boris signed off with hasta la vista rather than some ancient greek or latin phrase. It's like he has no idea of his own brand. I mean, it was just crying out for a sic transit gloria mundi or honestas ante honeres.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Well, the end game of the Italian parliament looks totally unavoidable now, September election it will be. Predicting the end of an Italian government is hardly high in brownie points, but pleased to have read the mechanics well over the last year with my basic understanding.

Perhaps I need to get out of the bubble a bit and simplify my understanding of UK politics where my record is more mixed!

In terms of how Italian governments are normally counted, worth noting that the UK is soon to be on its 6th administration since June 2016 (Cameron 2, May 1/2, Johnson 1/2, Sunak or Truss 1)). Italy after GE would still edge it with 6 since December 2016 (Renzi, Gentiloni. Conte 1/2, Draghi, ?Meloni?)

And currently leading the polls is the hard right Brothers of Italy's Giorgia Meloni who makes Liz Truss look wet
    It's the coalition status that kills it. If the left could have managed a big tent coalition, the polls would have been about 48/44 and it looked like game on. But M5S have made themselves uncoalitionable in the last fortnight, so the likely result now looks more like 48/35 and MPR showing a majority of 80 on a 400 seat lower house (the upper house will very much mirror) for the right. The way that coalition works the largest party within it would get the PM role, and there's little doubt Meloni wins that.

The left's electoral approach?

1. Make sure everyone else is in the tent, the leftists, PD, and centrists - every last Draghi loyalist.
    2. See if Draghi will be your PM candidate, perhaps include a Lista Draghi in your coalition (though high chance he will.not be up for this)
    3. Encourage M5S implosion. Their abstentions are not a sign of a happy party. Hope some votes come your way. (Has to be said that 10% may be their hardcore floor).
    4. Be clear and united. If there's a chance of a good campaign and a closer result, a 47/41 say, do everything in your power to get there.
    5. The prize is to reduce that majority and ensure Forza hold the balance of power.
    6. Maximise any discomfort in the right, both on Forza's place in government and on splittists (in this parliament now, around 25% represent different parties than those they were elected under!)

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Sunak is going to lose and a whole section of the commentariat will be completely bemused despite him consistently polling miles behind everyone else in the leadership contents

People evolve, those who don't are rather creepy and untrustworthy - like Corbyn still being stuck with the same views he had in the 1970s.
    Well. Indeed they do.
    However the Tories appear to be searching for the one most resembling their leader in the Seventies.
    Thatcher was elected Leader of the Opposition to a failing Labour government however, not 12 years into a Tory government
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242
    COVID Admissions

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Great goal.

Well that is a weakness in women's football. Many of the goalies aren't that large.

I presume as with other sports, if you are a women who is far far taller than the average there are lots of other sports where this advantage can be utilised and which pay more money.
    Every play in a full sized goal as a child/teenager? It's a miserable experience I can tell you, most unfair.
    My niece is about to go to the US on a scholarship. She plays as a goal keeper for the Hearts youth team and has been on the periphery of the Scotland squad, again at youth level. She is very fit but only about 5ft 6. When you see her in the goal it looks huge.

Average WSL salary is £30k a year. If you are a fit, athletic, coordinated teenage girl standing 6ft, there are a host of sports where your height will be a huge advantage and which you earn a lot more than £30k a year.

The average male goalie in pro football is
    well over 6ft in order to fill the goal.

England v Spain gone to extra time. A cracker of a game.

The standard of the women’s game is rising very, very quickly. A real nail-biting match
    with superb players.

England sitting a bit deep.
  • Options
    COVID Hospital stats

• Options
    edited July 2022

England v Spain gone to extra time. A cracker of a game. The standard of the women’s game is rising very, very quickly. A real nail-biting match with superb players.

It is often more attractive game to watch.

Men's international football now is such that basically every country of any note is now extremely well drilled and able to "park the bus" if nothing else. And because literally every kick by every player in every league with more than 2 people watching, all the players are analysed within an inch of their life.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Pro_Rata said:

HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Well, the end game of the Italian parliament looks totally unavoidable now, September election it will be. Predicting the end of an Italian government is hardly high in brownie points, but pleased to have read the mechanics well over the last year with my basic understanding.

Perhaps I need to get out of the bubble a bit and simplify my understanding of UK politics where my record is more mixed!

In terms of how Italian governments are normally counted, worth noting that the UK is soon to be on its 6th administration since June 2016 (Cameron 2, May 1/2, Johnson 1/2, Sunak or Truss 1)). Italy after GE would still edge it with 6 since December 2016 (Renzi, Gentiloni. Conte 1/2, Draghi, ?Meloni?)

And currently leading the polls is the hard right Brothers of Italy's Giorgia Meloni who makes Liz Truss look wet
    It's the coalition status that kills it. If the left could have managed a big tent coalition, the polls would have been about 48/44 and it looked like game on. But M5S have made themselves uncoalitionable in the last fortnight, so the likely result now looks more like 48/35 and MPR showing a majority of 80 on a 400 seat lower house (the upper house will very much mirror) for the right. The way that coalition works the largest party within it would get the PM role, and there's little doubt Meloni wins that.

The left's electoral approach?

1. Make sure everyone else is in the tent, the leftists, PD, and centrists - every last Draghi loyalist.
    2. See if Draghi will be your PM candidate, perhaps include a Lista Draghi in your coalition (though high chance he will.not be up for this)
    3. Encourage M5S implosion. Their abstentions are not a sign of a happy party. Hope some votes come your way. (Has to be said that 10% may be their hardcore floor).
    4. Be clear and united. If there's a chance of a good campaign and a closer result, a 47/41 say, do everything in your power to get there.
    5. The prize is to reduce that majority and ensure Forza hold the balance of power.
    6. Maximise any discomfort in the right, both on Forza's place in government and on splittists (in this parliament now, around 25% represent different parties than those they were elected under!)

Forza will likely hold the balance of power but in the end probably go with Meloni who is the change candidate, leading the only major party which has been in opposition not part of this collapsing government
  • Options
    COVID Deaths

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Great goal.

That's pretty short.
    Average height in EPL I think is 6ft 3. It is rather a position where height, or rather wing spam, is a significant help.
    Indeed. But it's a trade off between size and agility. It's the combination of those. You need to be able to get down as well. It's not the NBA. There aren't any 7 foot goalies I know of.
  • Options
    COVID summary

- Hospital admissions are DOWN.
    - MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT
    - Deaths are UP. But we may be seeing a fall soon.

• Options
    Musk seems to be an almighty bellend, but he does seem to have vision and drive progress in certain fields in a meaningful way, and which look like they will be very useful. As a casual fan of space stuff I can think of worse things for super rich nerds to do than use their wealth to advance rocket technology and related works, despite the criticism of them doing so from folks up to our dear Prince William.

Contarily, and probably unfairly, because I don't personally use Facebook, and though I use Google it seems limited in its benefits beyond what it already does, I dislike those companies and their ethos more.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Great goal.

That's pretty short.
    Indeed. But it's a trade off between size and agility. It's the combination of those. You need to be able to get down as well. It's not the NBA. There aren't any 7 foot goalies I know of.
    Sure. There definitely been quite a few very very tall keepers. But it is how athletic your are,....its pretty clear there are lots of 6f 3/4/5/6 individuals who met their criteria and obvious they are filling a hell of a lot more of the goal than the lassie who is a foot shorter.

In terms of very tall players, I don't think Peter Crouch ever got the credit for actually how good his touch was.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Well. Indeed they do.
    Thatcher was elected Leader of the Opposition to a failing Labour government however, not 12 years into a Tory government
    Quite so. I can understand people not thinking Sunak is the answer, but I have been surprised at a number simply giving up on the idea of winning the next election and so concluding might as well pick someone who will make them happier for 2 years (those who think she will do better than expected is at least more explicable, even if people disagree with that conclusion).
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,802
    kle4 said:

Belated comment, but I am most disappointed Boris signed off with hasta la vista rather than some ancient greek or latin phrase. It's like he has no idea of his own brand. I mean, it was just crying out for a sic transit gloria mundi or honestas ante honeres.

"I'll be back" would have been more fun.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    It's Times vs Mail.

Fascinating summer coming up.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,478
    FWIW, Musk appears to be leading Jeff Bezos in the space race -- and that isn't because Bezos lacks cash.

Both men, by the way, have said publicly taht they were inspired by Robert Heinlein's "The Man Who Sold the Moon".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_Moon (It's sitll a fun read.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

Well. Indeed they do.
    Well yes. She also wasn't overwhelmingly elected on a wave of enthusiasm either. More a time for a change.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Is this back by popular request, Malmesbury, or is it you wanting to resurrect glory days?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Is this back by popular request, Malmesbury, or is it you wanting to resurrect glory days?
    We all know you are a massive fan ;-)
  • Options
    Totting up across various bets across a number of bookies it looks good.

Sunak +£150
    Truss +£650

Nice. I just have to resist temptation to mess with it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I can but conclude he wanted people to think of that without saying it directly. He doesn't come across like a Arnie movie fan.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Someone asked the other day.

Since they release the stats on Wednesdays, now, I thought why not.

The fall in hospital admissions is some good news....
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Yes, my Trust is down to 140ish from 200 a few weeks back.

The new version is pretty rotten to have though, my colleagues who caught it have all been pretty rough for a week.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    Well done England. They will play few if any tougher opponents than Spain. Like the cricket the improvement in the women’s game is astonishing.
  • Options

FWIW, Musk appears to be leading Jeff Bezos in the space race -- and that isn't because Bezos lacks cash.

Both men, by the way, have said publicly taht they were inspired by Robert Heinlein's "The Man Who Sold the Moon".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Sold_the_Moon (It's sitll a fun read.)

What is hilarious is that Musk seems to have read the bit about when the rocket project stalls because of bureaucracy in the project. This is quoted, in depth, in the legendary Mythical Man Month, incidentally.

Bezos has created the literal image of it - empty factories, at a standstill, because of a lack of flow of designs and materials.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "As a major study overturns decades of received wisdom that depression is caused by a lack of serotonin in the brain, the verdict of science is now clear - our unhealthy obsession with antidepressants must end
    Peter Hitchens"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11033359/PETER-HITCHENS-unhealthy-obsession-antidepressants-end.html
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Oooohf
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Yes, my Trust is down to 140ish from 200 a few weeks back.

The new version is pretty rotten to have though, my colleagues who caught it have all been pretty rough for a week.
    Across my team of 5 I've lost about a person month worth time due to Covid illness in the last month.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That was the inference, I think. In his head there's a world where he's a still adored titan brought down temporarily by pygmies.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"As a major study overturns decades of received wisdom that depression is caused by a lack of serotonin in the brain, the verdict of science is now clear - our unhealthy obsession with antidepressants must end
    Peter Hitchens"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11033359/PETER-HITCHENS-unhealthy-obsession-antidepressants-end.html

He seems to think that patients with depression just need to pull themselves together, perhaps by going for a walk in the country.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    can't unsee it

• Options

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Ok fair enough. It is the persistent type, isn't it.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Will the footage of Liz Truss as a young Lib Dem, frighten the horses?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1549871562131660800

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

It's a bit more complex than that.
    A generic review of the lesser Hitchens I know.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Well, I've just heard a delicious piece of gossip about La Truss which will surprise no-one on here. From someone in government. Cannot say more for obvious reasons.

Husband is voting for Sunak on the grounds that he is a grown up and Truss is mad.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

He seems to think that patients with depression just need to pull themselves together, perhaps by going for a walk in the country.
    Over 10% of Americans are taking SSRIs. That's surely evidence of a social problem rather than a medical problem.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    dr_spyn said:

I agree with the reply that Truss appears to have been a better public speaker back then. What happened?!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, I've just heard a delicious piece of gossip about La Truss which will surprise no-one on here. From someone in government. Cannot say more for obvious reasons.

Husband is voting for Sunak on the grounds that he is a grown up and Truss is mad.

Does it involve Thatcher play?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Hitchens swears by a stiff drink and a stiff lip, I would imagine.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Empiricism is better than rationalism. Clinical trials show they're effective in enough cases, no matter the objective cause(s) of depression(s).
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Over 10% of Americans are taking SSRIs. That's surely evidence of a social problem rather than a medical problem.
    Or a problem with the US healthcare system, more likely.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Big fans are always useful....

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

She's ready for it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Looks like the thing I had going during the heat wave to keep me cool. Bloke from Amazon wasn't best pleased when he delivered I have to say.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Cyclefree said:

I think I heard the same thing @Cyclefree and it obviously going around. Does it involve a certain Mr Field?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Any link to the actual clip?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

I think I heard the same thing @Cyclefree and it obviously going around. Does it involve a certain Mr Field?
    I heard of multiple instances, if we're talking about the same thing.
  • Options
    In the most surprising story I've come across today, apparently Count Binface has a book coming out later this year, and its over 250 pages if Amazon is to be believed.

I admire the effort
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Estimated 17% of adults in UK.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Some years ago, I noticed and commented on the fact that very often in American movies, the day seems to start with people swallowing a bunch of pills. My flatmate at the time said that he'd noticed the same thing. Fit, healthy people get up, and swallow some pills....
  • Options

kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

Looks like the thing I had going during the heat wave to keep me cool. Bloke from Amazon wasn't best pleased when he delivered I have to say.
    The neighbours must have been

- Impressed
    - Terrified
    - Deafened
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    Pro_Rata said:

I wonder if Boris would fancy a shot at Italian politics?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

That's depressing.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Some years ago, I noticed and commented on the fact that very often in American movies, the day seems to start with people swallowing a bunch of pills. My flatmate at the time said that he'd noticed the same thing. Fit, healthy people get up, and swallow some pills....
    https://www.statnews.com/2019/04/02/overprescribed-americas-other-drug-problem/
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Including myself as of last week.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

53 years ago today, mankind first walked on the Moon.

It will not be 10 years before the next man or woman walks on the moon.
    And it will not be 20 years before someone takes a first step on Mars.

Agreed. It will be more like 30 and 50.
    ;)

Mars is very uncertain, even if Loony Musk said in 2018 that there would be a base on Mars by 2028 (hint: he's wrong.) But if he can maintain funding and not have to waste all his money buying Twitter for way over its value, then 20 years, or 9 synods, would be doable. In fact, I reckon 9 years of 4 synods may be possible. The people may not get back, though ...

As for the Moon: the US's Artemis program is due to land humans back on the Moon in 2025. If they fail, China is considering one by 2027; if not, the early 2030s.
    Happy to bet £250 evens no human to walk on Mars by 20 July 2042
    It's far too uncertain to even posit making a bet. But it took less than ten years to go from no manned flight to men
    stepping on the Moon, from a much smaller tech base and experience level (albeit the Apollo program had been underway in NASA/NACA for a couple of years before that).

I have zero doubt that humans could land safely on Mars in ten years. Technically, it can be done. It therefore becomes a matter of cost, and therefore politics. Unless someone like Musk can throw money at it (latest figures say his Mars rocket has cost $10 billion already), then it becomes a political question.

And that's where the uncertainty comes in. Will an individual such as Musk, or a country like China or the USA, see the prestige of being first on Mars being worth the cost?

We could easily get people on Mars (and back) by 2042. What's stopping us is the finance - and Musk is trying to short-circuit that issue.
    There’s a lot more than zero doubt.
    I’ve little doubt landing a human on Mars would be possible quite soon, but doing so safely is quite another matter.
    For example, how many of these risks have fully been addressed ?
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41526-020-00124-6
    I've made similar points many times in the past, including on the various SpaceX subreddits. Mankind has only spent a few weeks total outside the van Allen belts during the Apollo missions. Musk is talking about months and years. Then there are the problems with consumables such as air and water: even with recycling, the ISS requires regular reprovisioning with water (the O2 is split from the water).

Fans say that Starship is so big you'll be able to carry enough consumables. Whilst that may be true, it is still mass that needs lifting to orbit and launching to Mars, and mass that could be used for something else. Then there's the problem with micrometeroids: the JWST has already been hit by one.

But given enough money and redundancy, we could get around them. The more mass we can send, the easier most problems become to solve.
    You are also missing starlink - which has made a fortune from fixing the last mile issue for the FCC that had a $16bn kitty to spend on getting all the US connected to the internet.
    And they've just released the version for commercial shipping usage. Which works out (despite the hefty price) as an order of magnitude better service than current providers, for less money.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think that is a big secret, it has been in all the papers years ago, especially when he had a go at the protestors.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

dr_spyn said:

I agree with the reply that Truss appears to have been a better public speaker back then. What happened?!
    It’s easier, when you really believe what you are saying.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,398
    Cyclefree said:

Truss's husband? Wouldn't be all that surprising, if the same stories...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

I feel fantastic
  • Options
    How do I get tickets for the hustings?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

My American ex-girlfriend would do a valium for almost any reason. Hangover, poor night's sleep, bad day at work, etc.
    She refused, point blank, to accept we would need a prescription. Nor why I just didn't. She took them more than I would a paracetamol.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

https://www.statnews.com/2019/04/02/overprescribed-americas-other-drug-problem/
    I remember when, under Thatcher, they cut back (one in a series of actions, over the years, under various governments) on the freebies and other bungs that NHS consultants could take from drug companies. My farther was teaching in the medical ethics area at the time - he explained to me why there was all the anger. And why it was necessary.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Cyclefree said:

Did you husband decide Truss was mad before or after he heard the piece of gossip?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

My American ex-girlfriend would do a valium for almost any reason. Hangover, poor night's sleep, bad day at work, etc.
    She refused, point blank, to accept we would need a prescription. Nor why I just didn't. She took them more than I would a paracetamol.
    An American mum, who arrived in the area (lots of expats from around the world), couldn't believe that most children in the schools were Ritalin free. Didn't we love our kids enough?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Quite a few people I know who suffer from chronic pain are quite jealous of how much easier it seems to be to get hold of really strong painkillers in the USA. The downsides of that haven't yet penetrated.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Can anyone explain why Truss is only 5/6 ?

Con Home

Liz Truss: 49 (Last Monday: 51 )

Rishi Sunak: 42 (Last Monday: 34 )

Don’t know: 9 (Last Monday: 15 )

(845 votes cast.)

Yougov

54 Truss 35 Sunak (Prior Truss 59 Sunak 35)

Sunak looks to me to be deeply unpopular amongst the membership who won't forgive him for betraying Boris in their view.

There's time to go but this is in my view more of a 1-2 / 2-1 contest now. If it was tommorow it'd be more like 1-5 / 5-1.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think that is a big secret, it has been in all the papers years ago, especially when he had a go at the protestors.
    Turnip Taliban and all that stuff.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Interesting:

"Professor Joanna Moncrieff, the consultant psychiatrist who led the study, put it bluntly: ‘After a vast amount of research over decades, there is no convincing evidence depression is caused by serotonin abnormalities, particularly by lower levels or reduced activity of serotonin.’ Using language of quite devastating force, this distinguished doctor drove home her message, which was published in the learned journal Molecular Psychiatry and based on the analysis of studies involving tens of thousands of patients.

‘Thousands of people suffer from side-effects of antidepressants, including the severe withdrawal effects that can occur when people try to stop them, yet prescription rates continue to rise. We believe this has been driven partly by the false belief depression is due to a chemical imbalance. It is high time to inform the public that this belief is not grounded in science.’"
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2022
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

England really need another one.

If they want to show they're as good as the men they need to concede the equaliser and go out on penalties.
    Not yet. That happens in the semi final.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Again. I'm not criticising anyone on anti-depressants or anything else. Christ knows I've done enough of both legal and illegal medication. It saved my life.
    I just find the subject fascinating.
    I just stopped one day. I didn't even consciously decide to. Haven't kicked my 30 a day habit though.
    Why?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

dr_spyn said:

Any link to the actual clip?
    Haven't found one which works, perhaps BBCIplayer might help.
  • Options
    Henrik Stenson, Jason Kokrak and Charles Howell III latest LIV golf singings.

Only Kokrak is top 50. Not sure PGA Tour will lose sleep over those names going.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    kinabalu said:

COVID summary

- MV beds are FLAT
    - In hospital is FLAT

I was wondering similar. Do we think there will be a time, perhaps even in the coming century, where we will no longer have government virus data served to us on a regular basis?

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

I think he has been sharing a few more details.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,174
    https://elpais.com/economia/2022-07-20/espana-rechaza-la-propuesta-de-bruselas-de-recortar-un-15-el-consumo-de-gas.html

Spain not on board with EU plans to cut gas usage to help Germany. “We have not lived beyond our energy means” they say, which commentators see as a pointed reference to Germany’s attitude towards Spain during the eurozone debt crisis.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

England really need another one.

If they want to show they're as good as the men they need to concede the equaliser and go out on penalties.
    Not yet. That happens in the semi final.
    I'm hoping the semi-final will be a boring 3-0.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

There are wilder stories than that

OH me chime o midnight
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

Again. I'm not criticising anyone on anti-depressants or anything else. Christ knows I've done enough of both legal and illegal medication. It saved my life.
    I just stopped one day. Haven't kicked my 30 a day habit though.
    Why?

https://twitter.com/garwboy/status/1549754231527178244
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Pulpstar said:

Con Home

(845 votes cast.)

Yougov

Sunak looks to me to be deeply unpopular amongst the membership who won't forgive him for betraying Boris in their view.

There's time to go but this is in my view more of a 1-2 / 2-1 contest now. If it was tommorow it'd be more like 1-5 / 5-1.

The prices look about right to me, given that there's a ridiculous number of hustings coming (12, I think?). We've seen Truss do fairly well in one TV hustings and very badly in another, while Sunak was much the same in both. There must be scope for a couple more to produce unexpected incidents which could move opinion sharply ekither way.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Sounds a bit high to me, but sadly clinical depression* is quite common. It is a worldwide condition, according to the WHO around 3.4% of the world population have it at any one time, and around 15% at some point in a lifetime.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/depression-rates-by-country

* this consists of far more than feeling a bit glum.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

OH me chime o midnight
    You saying Fizzy Lizzy might actually be a bit fizzy and not as so far seems like B&M out of date rola cola.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Quite a few people I know who suffer from chronic pain are quite jealous of how much easier it seems to be to get hold of really strong painkillers in the USA. The downsides of that haven't yet penetrated.
    The American ex-girlfriend was probably physically dependent on the Valium if not fully addicted.

The difference between NHS and America view of anti-anxiety pills is enormous. I read the book "My Age of Anxiety" by an ex-editor of the New Yorker. Brilliant book. And I learnt a lot about anxiety which I suffer greatly from.

But the pills he took? Incredible. Off the scale. I was stunned.

Just choffing away at Xanax and Valium like they were smarties. Only one of his doctors seemed bothered and she was more of psychotherapy type who thought he should talk more and the pills made him worse.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Con Home

(845 votes cast.)

Yougov

You're saying Sunak is too short for next PM?

Ok, sorry. Get my hat ...
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Did your husband decide Truss was mad before or after he heard the piece of gossip?
    This could be the start of 20 Questions.

...15. Were all the participants consenting adults?...
  • Options
    I notice the Russian are now having the joys of "Cool Cola", "Fancy" and "Street"

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/05/16/russia-unveils-domestic-rivals-to-coca-cola-fanta-and-sprite-a77694
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Pulpstar said:

Con Home

(845 votes cast.)

Yougov

Washington also seems to favour Truss, Beijing keener on Sunak

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/either-liz-truss-or-rishi-sunak-will-be-britains-next-prime-minister-truss-would-be-a-better-us-ally

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11018929/Chinas-largest-state-tabloid-praises-Rishi-Sunak-soft-stance-Beijing-pragmatic-view.html
  • Options

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

OH me chime o midnight
    You saying Fizzy Lizzy might actually be a bit fizzy and not as so far seems like B&M out of date rola cola.
    Thoughts and prayers for her leftwing academic parents who raised her to be a CND activist.

• Options

Leon said:

MrEd said:

Cyclefree said:

OH me chime o midnight
    i;m saying it's ironic she lost to kemi Badenoch, nadine Dorries, rishi Sunak and penny Mordaunt
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Pulpstar said:

Con Home

(845 votes cast.)

Yougov

I imagine there is a belief that the membership changes its views rapidly upon receiving evidence. For example, I think Mordaunt dropped a little in their eyes and Badenoch surged. But Truss and Sunak are better known. Then you have to ask what's the probability that Truss performs disastrously and Sunak is resilient. Given what happened in the debates, I doubt it. She held her own eventually.
  • Options

I notice the Russian are now having the joys of "Cool Cola", "Fancy" and "Street"

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/05/16/russia-unveils-domestic-rivals-to-coca-cola-fanta-and-sprite-a77694

Lol "Cool Cola" is subtitled "Original". Well I supposed that's true.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I just stopped one day. Haven't kicked my 30 a day habit though.
    Why?

https://twitter.com/garwboy/status/1549754231527178244
    Well indeed.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Peter Hitchens"

Interesting:

"Professor Joanna Moncrieff, the consultant psychiatrist who led the study, put it bluntly: ‘After a vast amount of research over decades, there is no convincing evidence depression is caused by serotonin abnormalities, particularly by lower levels or reduced activity of serotonin.’ Using language of quite devastating force, this distinguished doctor drove home her message, which was published in the learned journal Molecular Psychiatry and based on the analysis of studies involving tens of thousands of patients.

‘Thousands of people suffer from side-effects of antidepressants, including the severe withdrawal effects that can occur when people try to stop them, yet prescription rates continue to rise. We believe this has been driven partly by the false belief depression is due to a chemical imbalance. It is high time to inform the public that this belief is not grounded in science.’"
    Not fucking interesting at all, it is 25 years since anyone believed the "chemical imbalance" theory. We know that antidepressants work, not how they work, to the extent that the first ones were actually a treatment for TB, and doctors administering them noticed that their patients weren't any less tubercular, but felt better about it. Why this paper is being treated as anything new, is a mystery.
This discussion has been closed.