Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All the signs are that the turnout is large

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Looks like not enough young men went out to vote for yes to win. Most yes voters are happy with a close loss. This will ensure the devomax they wanted. In Glasgow the vote went down old firm lines. I have not met a Ctic no voter or a rangers yes voter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

@numbertwelve Hasn't Salmond said he'll resign if there is a NO victory?

One can hope.
  • Options
    JackW said:

SkyNews "Optimistic noises coming from Westminster ministers"

As others have already said, nice to see you back, Jack. Hope everything's great, and that your ARSE is in full working order.
  • Options
    mjtmjt Posts: 33
    Yes drifting like the proverbial.

Unsure how anyone can have the information so soon to shift the odds so decisively - Betfair herding perhaps?
  • Options

Howard said:

What are they going to talk about until the results come in?

How WONDERFUL the engagement is. Particularly Brian Taylor, who will be very poetic.

For five bloody hours??!!

There'll be a recap of the campaign.

Then a piece on the history of Scotland/the Union.

Then another recap.

Then an insightful visit to a Glasgow chippy.

Then a discussion on the opinion polls.

Then some stupid graphics from Jeremy Vine.

Then another recap.

Then a piece of Robbie Burns.

And a final recap.

... All punctuated, of course, with lots and lots of Nick Robinson and Brian Taylor.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

SeanT said:

Aaargh

Betfair coming in again

Calm down, what you should do is, compare it to the price 24 hours ago
    23 month trend is what its all about ask Mr X
  • Options
    #BREAKING:Latest YouGov poll suggests Scottish Referendum exit poll results are 54% No, 46% Yes. Counting underway. No results expected soon
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2014
    Whatever happens, UKIP marches on. This Scottish vote has been a real distraction from the main political battle that will reshape England.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Will be happy enough if that's right.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    TY TSE - in line with Ave it 44-56
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Yougov 54 No 46 Yes
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Latest YouGov poll suggests Scottish Referendum exit poll results are 54% No, 46% Yes. Counting underway. No results expected soon

Mike Smithson retweeted
    Jon Haworth ‏@JonHaworthSky 4m
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Looks like not enough young men went out to vote for yes to win. Most yes voters are happy with a close loss. This will ensure the devomax they wanted. In Glasgow the vote went down old firm lines. I have not met a Ctic no voter or a rangers yes voter.

It would be funny if Celtic vs Salzburg on telly was the difference. Bread and circuses!
  • Options
    Right, I just wanted to see the YouGov. I'm off, though I may check the TV coverage during the night/early morning later.

Goodnight, fellow Britons.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

@numbertwelve Hasn't Salmond said he'll resign if there is a NO victory?

I remember he said he will resign and disband the SNP if its a YES vote (desperate stuff).
  • Options

#BREAKING:Latest YouGov poll suggests Scottish Referendum exit poll results are 54% No, 46% Yes. Counting underway. No results expected soon

And then there's the postal votes.
  • Options
    mjtmjt Posts: 33
    Looks like it's going to be decisive.

Financially it's a win but i'd have rather seen Yes prevail and swallow the loss.

Pffft.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

It would be funny if Celtic vs Salzburg on telly was the difference. Bread and circuses!
    Don't be stupid , it was 2 hours out of a 15 hour window
  • Options
    Betfair 11 now.
  • Options

. No results expected soon

I see what you did there ;)

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited September 2014
    Pong said:

I Just LAID 95%+ turnout at 5/2

Astonishing.

edit: for a substantial amount, too!

I'm probably getting this all wrong - number/drunkness and all that - and Ms Briskin seems very grumpy - But

That looks amazingly good to me!!!!!!

• Options
    MikeK said:

Whatever happens, UKIP marches on. This Scottish vote has been a real distraction from the main political battle that will reshape England.

It'll have to learn how to fight a ground war first...

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    MikeK said:

which one's that ? Must have missed it.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MikeK said:

Front of the mail should help.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2014
    That's presumably against YouGov's same sample earlier in the week of No 52, Yes 48.. a small but probably significant late shift.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    betfair out to 11
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I think that's almost sealed it. Unless the postals are massively YES??

The Editor of the Sunday Herald tweeted earlier that the postal votes were breaking strongly to YES.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Betfair - Yes = 9
  • Options
    Scotland’s final referendum result now looks likely to come in at 54% for No, 46% for Yes. Confirmation is expected at around breakfast time.

The Sun’s pollsters surveyed almost 2,000 Scots after they had been to the polling stations, and detected a small defection from Yes to No - doubling the unionists’ four point lead on the eve of the historic vote on Wednesday night.
  • Options
    £ rockets to 164.25
  • Options
    Is the ARSE going to be proved infallible?
  • Options
    (Disenfranchised) Scots work colleague wants Yes so as to inject a dose of the cold light of economic reality to our Caledonian chums. Reckons it will swing them rightwards
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    SeanT said:

I think that's almost sealed it. Unless the postals are massively YES??

Why would they be? Oldies are heavily in favour of No. 58 to 42.
  • Options

MikeK said:

On the contrary, it has shown how easily the political class takes fright and offers all sorts of concessions if you kick them in the ballot box. Vote Fargle get change.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

Mr. Briskin, ah. Cheers. Prefer Sarah Jane Mee, to be honest.

She's in the morning and she's not poltitical!!!! Let's not be all bloky and rate the sky news ladies. I'm too drunk to type quick enough for a start....

• Options
    edited September 2014

There is no exit poll and for YouGov to say there is and that they carried it out is a criminal lie.

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m
    To underline. Tonight's YouGov IndyRef survey IS NOT AN EXIT POLL
  • Options
    Oh dear, Salmond.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3s
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Oh dear, Salmond.

bit premature
  • Options
    If it's a No I sincerely hope there will be a genuine debate on the future of the constitution of these islands and not a rushed implementation of devo-more which doesn't address the position of England.

Any proposals should have as one of their fundamental considerations the future of Northern Ireland. As things stand the only conceivable definitive solution is the eventual reunification of NI with the Republic but if we had a true Federation of the British Isles (with a ready made cool acronym) then the alternative of Ireland reunifying with the UK would start to become thinkable. We'd need serious reform of the monarchy and probably the abolition of the house of Lords to make this possible. I'd suggest putting the federal government in Manchester so that we could also help rebalance the country.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yougov 54 No 46 Yes

Anyone planning on opening a book on Gordon Brown being next first minister in Scotland.

When the sh*t hits the fan he is brilliant, it is the day to day grind of running a country he wasn't suited for. Bit like Churchill really.
  • Options
    It isn't even a proper exit poll and could be quite wrong. Too close to call - still.
  • Options
    Right, I want some results now....
  • Options

Scotland’s final referendum result now looks likely to come in at 54% for No, 46% for Yes. Confirmation is expected at around breakfast time.

The Sun’s pollsters surveyed almost 2,000 Scots after they had been to the polling stations, and detected a small defection from Yes to No - doubling the unionists’ four point lead on the eve of the historic vote on Wednesday night.

Is there a link for this?
  • Options
    Dear Lord, did I really compare Gordon Brown to Churchill.....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited September 2014
    Confirms the trend in the last 24 hours with the final two polls showing No +6, up from No +4.

If there are a few shy Nos it could well be close to 45/55.
  • Options
    Kellner just staked his reputation that it is a 99% chance of a No win
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yougov 54 No 46 Yes

Anyone planning on opening a book on Gordon Brown being next first minister in Scotland.

When the sh*t hits the fan he is brilliant, it is the day to day grind of running a country he wasn't suited for. Bit like Churchill really.
    you really are a loony
  • Options
    crossover 40.01 to 45% now 2.4

45.01 to 50% 2.41

but uncrossover whilst typing!!!!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    A friend of mine is at a count south of Glasgow and reports an average turnout of 80% across a number of wards in her area
  • Options
    Can I now dare to hope that I am about to blow a few hundred quid and enter the pantheon of crappest tipsters in history?
  • Options
    Not sure the YouGov 'exit' poll is really telling us that much beyond the normal polls of the past few days.
    A YES vote will require significant mis-weighting / unrepresentative samples in the polls. The same was true this morning. And still entirely possible, with the YES odds of 14+ looking much too high.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Oh dear, Salmond.

bit premature
    Quite right. We'll have to wait for the sovereign will of the Scottish people.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Whatever the result. Isn't this marvellous that we can all chatter away in total freedom to say what we think with our fellow citizens on such an important event ? There must be people lurking and following us in envy in less fortunate parts of the world. It's great. It's precious.

End of pompous post.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2014
    HYUFD said:

Yougov 54 No 46 Yes

CNN has, as usual, beaten everyone in bad broadcasting of polls of the indyref.
    pic.twitter.com/fl9dzQlaYL
  • Options
    Western isles aeroplane grounded due to fog fishing boat required
  • Options

Can I now dare to hope that I am about to blow a few hundred quid and enter the pantheon of crappest tipsters in history?

I hope so, no offence!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Howard said:

It isn't even a proper exit poll and could be quite wrong. Too close to call - still.

They said that about Culloden
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Trouble in Stornoway - votes from the Western Isles cannot be flown in due to weather problems.
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    Kellner on newsnight saying 99% No.

Hostage to fortune or what!!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

You mean you left at some time???
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Oh dear, Salmond.

bit premature
    Not looking great, tho, is it?
    Not looking great for us English is it,what the fcuk have we to be happy about the union.

• Options
    SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Oh dear, Salmond.

bit premature
    no different from how it looked earlier , why do you think otherwise, nothing counted yet so its merely speculation
  • Options
    Paul Too early to declare anything yet, but if that is the result he can certainly claim much of the credit
  • Options
    Alex Salmond "The people of Scotland have spoken"........."The Bastards"
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    If the pollsters really loved us, they could release reweighted versions of their final polls based on the turnout figures. That would eliminate most of the need to speculate whether the high turnout is good for yes or no
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3s

No, I believe it's based on re-contacting the people who participated in their final pre-vote poll? But it does bear out the earlier pollis which suggested a modest late swing to no.
  • Options
    If the maestro Kellner calls it, it's all over folks.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

SeanT said:

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Oh dear, Salmond.

bit premature
    Not looking great for us English is it,what the fcuk have we to be happy about the union.

It survives for long enough for us hopefully to make it better rather than just casting it aside.
  • Options
    The quid races to $164.5
  • Options
    It could still be YES. It's a bit premature to start buying £'s, You may lose all by morning.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    I didn't rely on an exit poll for my competition prediction. As soon as Jack's ARSE said it would be 40/60 I thought the game was over. Even so there are still a few flapheads here predicting gloom, doom and more or it.

However I may set my alarm clock for 05.00 tomorrow to see what has actually transpired. One of the benefits of being made redundant is not having to get up early for work!

I sincerely hope the Scots have voted no but then I hope our politicians seek to understand why and then address their concerns IF that is possible.
  • Options
    Speedy Classic!
  • Options
    RUMOURS of postal votes in the Edinburgh West area being:
    YES - 23%
    NO - 77%
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    It was Gordon wot won it.

His influence has been critical....
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    Always been surprised by this "conventional opinion" that 16-17 years olds should be strongly yes. Thousands of young Scots leave Scotland every year to travel, to go to university or just to live life. Some because they want to permanently move away from Scotland, some despite wanting to return later. But one thing these people haven't decided is that their future is restricted to Scotland. Many 16-17 year olds are very close to having to make these life changing decisions and Independence, leaving the EU (even if temporarily) etc etc couldn't come at a worse time for them. They would be the ones most negatively affected by the turmoil, even if it might benefit Scotland in the long run. It's trite and patronising to assume that they are not mature or capable enough to consider this.

Those most in favour of Scottish Independence are those who have committed themselves to Scotland for the long term. Those who may have moved away when younger but are now settled permanently. 16-17 year olds don't want to be restricted by unnecessary borders. And such restrictions would be inevitable once the UK became a foreign country.
  • Options
    Always been surprised by this "conventional opinion" that 16-17 years olds should be strongly yes. Thousands of young Scots leave Scotland every year to travel, to go to university or just to live life. Some because they want to permanently move away from Scotland, some despite wanting to return later. But one thing these people haven't decided is that their future is restricted to Scotland. Many 16-17 year olds are very close to having to make these life changing decisions and Independence, leaving the EU (even if temporarily) etc etc couldn't come at a worse time for them. They would be the ones most negatively affected by the turmoil, even if it might benefit Scotland in the long run. It's trite and patronising to assume that they are not mature or capable enough to consider this.

Those most in favour of Scottish Independence are those who have committed themselves to Scotland for the long term. Those who may have moved away when younger but are now settled permanently. 16-17 year olds don't want to be restricted by unnecessary borders. And such restrictions would be inevitable once the UK became a foreign country.
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

This discussion has been closed.