Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi now joint favourite to succeed Johnson as PM – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

In the top 5 of Keir performances now.

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Blackford better than usual

Saying even less...
    Boris isn't going to shag you mate
    We've never met. Do not pretend friendship in such an agressive manner.
    It's a well known joke, sense of humour bypass
    That wasn't a joke, as made obvious by the aggressive "mate".
    It literally is.

https://www.teepublic.com/en-gb/t-shirt/5481258-shes-not-gonna-shag-you-mate

They literally put it on T-shirts.
    Oh, do stop being a twat. The post you replied to didn't even mention Boris, you fucking moron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRfKdNxIOcQ
    Fucking moron is a term of endearment I take kindly, friendship with Applicant restored :):)
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340
    It is with a heavy heart that I can confirm I am resigning my position as a person who thought Boris could survive and go on to win an election. A heavy heart because it will lose me cash in the markets. I had failed to allow for him being even more of a shyster than I had priced in.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,981
    Mr. Nabavi, with luck, we won't have long to wait to find out if Sunak shall be standing.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,206

Record here for most flagged comments? Let's go!

Come on, let it go. You don't want this to escalate until you get another sin bin.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

On topic: I don't think Rishi is going to stand for leader, and any case he has almost no chance, as @HYUFD points out. I read his resignation letter as implying that he wants out altogether, and who can blame him? He doesn't need the hassle, he's made CoE, he goes out with a good reputation.

Thats a reasonable point. He's 'got out' with at least his reputation well in place. He would find it hard to run for PM, so can;t go any further.

He can make even more millions post politics.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,284

Come on, let it go. You don't want this to escalate until you get another sin bin.
    It is all so unnecessary
  • Options
    Mr Speaker just corrected the liar for making statements that we don't know are true WRT the Pincher incident.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    It literally is.

Oh, do stop being a twat. The post you replied to didn't even mention Boris, you fucking moron.
    No but you were doing your usual attack Keir Starmer because Boris is great thing.
    No, I wasn't, I was just pointing out that given their usual standard, SKS and Blackford having their best performances isn't the same thing necessarily at them putting in a good performance.

Why you think this has something to do with what I think of Boris - who I've been calling for to resign for months - escapes me. I just assume in your moronic partisanship - equalled only on this forum by HY - you still haven't grown up enough to realise that an attack on the Labour Party is not support for the Tories (or vice versa).
  • Options

Nadhim Zahawi has a face like a smacked arse. Pondering he has backed the wrong horse?

Does he still get a cash bung if he leaves his post after a month?
  • Options

Meh, if I'm off this site for good I don't much mind anymore, clearly the moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site.

Feel free to ban me, I'm good
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2022
    Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    It literally is.

No but you were doing your usual attack Keir Starmer because Boris is great thing.
    No, I wasn't, I was just pointing out that given their usual standard, SKS and Blackford having their best performances isn't the same thing necessarily at them putting in a good performance.

Why you think this has something to do with what I think of Boris - who I've been calling for to resign for months - escapes me. I just assume in your moronic partisanship - equalled only on this forum by HY - you still haven't grown up enough to realise that an attack on the Labour Party is not support for the Tories (or vice versa).
    You were born without a sense of humour.

IT WAS A JOKE.

Jesus Christ.

As for my partisanship, I don't know many other Labour people that called for Starmer to resign if and when that FPN comes in.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,906
    Con MP for Burton Kate Griffiths drops her support for the PM: “as someone who has been the victim of abuse, at the hands of an MP who told me his position would mean no one would believe me over him, I am furious that it has now come to light the Prime Minister was aware…/1
    https://twitter.com/GeorgiaZemoreyR/status/1544644751286312961
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Nadhim Zahawi has a face like a smacked arse. Pondering he has backed the wrong horse?

The horse he has backed is Nadhim Zahawi. That's a man who knows the PM is gone and wants to stand for election as his successor from the position of Chancellor rather than as Education Secretary, or indeed backbench MP. I kind of see why.
    I dunno.

I reckon anyone still behind Johnson has no chance of ever being tory leader. Ever. Or even a senior cabinet position going forward. The back benches beckon, then a tough challenge come election time.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    edited July 2022

The horse he has backed is Nadhim Zahawi. That's a man who knows the PM is gone and wants to stand for election as his successor from the position of Chancellor rather than as Education Secretary, or indeed backbench MP. I kind of see why.
    Taking Boris's shilling will not be seen as a wise move.
  • Options
    🔥🔥🔥Conservative Gary Sambrook MP to the Prime Minister...

"He always tries to blame other people for mistakes...there's nothing left for him to do other than take responsibility and resign". #PMQs

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1544645260504174593
  • Options
    MISTY said:

I dunno.

I reckon anyone still behind Johnson has no chance of ever being tory leader. Ever. Or even a senior cabinet position going forward. The back benches beckon, then a tough challenge come election time.

Liz Truss has made an odd decision and so has Penny Morduant?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891

I am opposed to bloodsports but might make an exception for this PMQs.

This is yah-boo PMQs at its best. He's got no support behind him, and its utterly transparent.

Its worth remembering that people around the world actually respect our Parliament for the bear pit of PMQs and the noises it generates, even if we often complain.
    Some do. Many more find it incredibly disrespectful.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

It is all so unnecessary
    I'm prepared to accept an apology for mischaracterising my quip at the expense of SKS and Blackford as being support for Boris (who I've been calling to resign for months) as soon as such an apology is forthcoming.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    It literally is.

IT WAS A JOKE.

Jesus Christ.

As for my partisanship, I don't know many other Labour people that called for Starmer to resign if and when that FPN comes in.
    I agree with you. It was a joke. So why get wound up like this? Just smile and wave.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Good man. No clapping.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,988

Meh, if I'm off this site for good I don't much mind anymore, clearly the moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site.

"You don't agree with the moderation" != "he moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site"

I generally think the moderating team do a good job, with a relatively light hand.

(Mods: does this warrant a get-out-of-jail-free card?) ;)
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    It’s quite strange how when the aura goes, it’s almost a physical moment. Boris just saying words. Not resonating with anyone. Falling onto the floor of the chamber.

It was extraordinary. Like the life went out of him. A terrible spectacle and really rather sad.

So according to political insiders the 1922 are going to change the rules today and will inform the PM that there will be a vote on Monday.

I just wonder if he might go for the nuclear option, hopefully not literally, of trying to go to the country. He almost seemed to insinuate something of that kind. And he's just again mentioned a General Election. I don't think he would get away with it.

https://twitter.com/kitty_donaldson/status/1544627453347373056

https://twitter.com/BBCFLauraKT/status/1544560790807642112

p.s. bit unnecessary of the Speaker to be so grumpy about the clapping
  • Options

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    It literally is.

IT WAS A JOKE.

Jesus Christ.

It was a crude, aggressive attack on me - a person you never have been able to stand because I don't fit into your world view of there being precisely two political tribes with nothing outside them.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m
    It’s quite strange how when the aura goes, it’s almost a physical moment. Boris just saying words. Not resonating with anyone. Falling onto the floor of the chamber.

It was extraordinary. Like the life went out of him. A terrible spectacle and really rather sad.

So according to political insiders the 1922 are going to change the rules today and will inform the PM that there will be a vote on Monday.

I just wonder if he might go for the nuclear option, hopefully not literally, of trying to go to the country. He almost seemed to insinuate something of that kind. And he's just again mentioned a General Election. I don't think he would get away with it.

At this point, I don’t think his party would let him.
  • Options
    p.s. Betfair have just cancelled my cash out on next PM.

They know it's all over.
  • Options

"You don't agree with the moderation" != "he moderation team don't care about actually moderating the site"

I generally think the moderating team do a good job, with a relatively light hand.

No I think banning me for using the c word and then not banning Leon is ridiculous. And the same for MoonRabbit who didn't do anything. Yet Leon is allowed to swear day after day.

I stand by what I said - but as a site which isn't democratic I also understand that I have a right to be kicked off. So if they want to kick me off for my views on it then that is also fine - or for anything else. I'll live.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Its very necessary, its the Speaker's job to maintain standards in the House. Clapping goes firmly against those standards.

Loud "hear hears" are OK, clapping is not.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Also brewing, USD/EUR heading towards (below) parity, the inflation rate in EUR countries is going to be insane this winter. I think the BoE has finally realised plodding along with small rate rises won't cut it so hopefully there's some respite coming for us but I don't see how the ECB can on one hand provide unlimited monetary support to close the periphery yield spread but also tighten monetary policy to support EUR against strengthening USD and commodity price inflation.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,431
    edited July 2022

Selebian said:

Interesting, re Rishi. He'd have looked moe principled if he'd gone long ago, but at least he's gone now.

It is possible to be leader after sucking up to a completely terrible leader, of course. Step forward SKS.

It's astonishing that you should use this as a pretext to attack Keir Starmer. His actions prior to 2019 put him in a far better position to sink the Corbyn project after the 2019 GE. That's why he's hated by both the far left and PB Tories, the latter because he rescued Labour from what would have been electoral oblivion.

Sunak and Javed's actions by contrast seem to have had no wider purpose other than to further their own careers. It's not that they've contributed to sinking the Johnson ship, they stayed until they judged that it was inevitably going down. All they've done is to make sure that they were first into the lifeboat.
    I'm astonished that you think I'm attacking Starmer.

Not my intention. I was merely observing that, although there's a lot of chat on here about people needing to resign to be credible in a future leadership contest, Starmer was able to navigate the Labour contest even though he'd been senior in Corbyn's front bench.

So the calculation is not clear. Maybe it's best for people to do what they believe to be the right thing?

Edit: Actually I'm less astonished, re-reading my post and seeing I used 'sucking up'. Bad choice of words, that.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,176

#lickspittle
    :D
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604
    The updaters of wikipedia entries for Tory (ex)ministers are behind the curve...
  • Options
    Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    Relax, pal
    You fuck off too, twat. It's nothing to do with you - butt out.
    Running the risk of you telling me to fuck off too, hope you are not heading for a ban cus I like your posts.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also brewing, USD/EUR heading towards (below) parity, the inflation rate in EUR countries is going to be insane this winter. I think the BoE has finally realised plodding along with small rate rises won't cut it so hopefully there's some respite coming for us but I don't see how the ECB can on one hand provide unlimited monetary support to close the periphery yield spread but also tighten monetary policy to support EUR against strengthening USD and commodity price inflation.

The PMIs suggested the BoE might have a bit of room here, not as bad as expected.
  • Options
    As I said, I'm happy enough to be banned for what I've said. I am sure I am deserving of it according to the rules - I will live with that and know I did the right thing in standing up for a member here.
  • Options

No I think banning me for using the c word and then not banning Leon is ridiculous. And the same for MoonRabbit who didn't do anything. Yet Leon is allowed to swear day after day.

I stand by what I said - but as a site which isn't democratic I also understand that I have a right to be kicked off. So if they want to kick me off for my views on it then that is also fine - or for anything else. I'll live.
    The rule has always been that posting the c word unedited gets an automatic sin bin. You must have known that at the time you chose to do just that.
  • Options

I believe you used all four letters of the word, and Leon didn't - as you didn't today, and I note you are not banned. The answer is there.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,688
    Heathener said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    2m

Interesting to consider whether Mr J calling an election and failing would do more damage or less to the Tories than him just carrying on.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

The rule has always been that posting the c word unedited gets an automatic sin bin. You must have known that at the time you chose to do just that.
    Doesn't apply to Leon though, odd that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,558

On topic: I don't think Rishi is going to stand for leader, and any case he has almost no chance, as @HYUFD points out. I read his resignation letter as implying that he wants out altogether, and who can blame him? He doesn't need the hassle, he's made CoE, he goes out with a good reputation.

Thats a reasonable point. He's 'got out' with at least his reputation well in place. He would find it hard to run for PM, so can;t go any further.

He can make even more millions post politics.
    His letter was explicit on that - "...I recognise this may be my last ministerial job..."
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Heathener said:

They know it's all over.

The Betfair markets I’m looking at are still trading. I wouldn’t read anything into your cash out suspension. They don’t know anything the rest of us don’t know.
  • Options

I believe you used all four letters of the word, and Leon didn't - as you didn't today, and I note you are not banned. The answer is there.

That's it tubbs, I like you but not prepared to discuss with you any more. Ignored
  • Options
    Heathener said:

They know it's all over.

Oh balls, I just remembered I went all in on Starmer as next PM, with a hedge on Reeves. It was on the basis I could cash out once the PM had a few stable months.

Sigh…
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    MaxPB said:

Can the Tory party get on with this please. Brady needs to change the rules tonight and get the vote done tomorrow.

They need to unless they want a GE on their hands.
  • Options
    My thesis: Gove was caught yesterday between desire to go and guilt over knifing Boris last time. But it would be better to say something now than rely on absentia. Like it or not, he is a decisive figure in the govt. And his statement could well be the coup de grace
    https://twitter.com/annemcelvoy/status/1544646296572760064
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    Relax, pal
    Running the risk of you telling me to fuck off too, hope you are not heading for a ban cus I like your posts.
    If the mods want to discuss my attitude with me, I'm happy to talk with them. I've already laid out the apology which I will be happy to accept.
  • Options
    I'm annoyed with one person over this mess. Not Boris. He's doing exactly what Boris does. I can't see why anyone is in the least bit surprised.

I'm not annoyed with his ministers, many of whom have proved to either not to have acted, or acted too late. I might find it hard in their position.

I'm not annoyed with the Conservative MPs who did not vote to get rid of him last week.

I'm annoyed with Rory Stewart. IMO he would have made a good PM (orders of magnitude better than Johnson), especially with the trials that have faced our country over the last couple of years. If he was there, as a Conservative MP, there might be a rational choice for a new PM. But he left in a strop.
  • Options
    After this debacle his cabinet colleagues must realise that unless they resign their careers are over
  • Options

You used the word, uncensored, repeatedly today and still aren't banned. Leon apparently used it once, last night, self-censored. Might you have lost perspective a touch here?

Moonrabbit is pending email confirmation. If she's not confirmed her email by responding to RCS that's her own responsibility, not the moderators responsibility.
  • Options

People are not kicked off for their views, with the exception of things such as holocaust denial, which is a criminal offence in many countries.

PB is brilliant because of the different views. I find it fascinating to have different points of view. So much better than the echo chamber that is twitter.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Link?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Stocky said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    Relax, pal
    If the mods want to discuss my attitude with me, I'm happy to talk with them. I've already laid out the apology which I will be happy to accept.
    I'm not apologising for anything.

You are ignored too.
  • Options

As I said, I'm happy enough to be banned for what I've said. I am sure I am deserving of it according to the rules - I will live with that and know I did the right thing in standing up for a member here.

The issue around the C-word is uncensored it's bad for advertising and can land PB on display and affiliate blacklists. Just an FYI I've been banned for using it uncensored more than once so you aren't being victimised.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Not sure that Johnson should have replied to the quip about walk-outs from the Cabinet with "there is a ready supply of skilled Labour".
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Just watched PMQ's. What a pathetic joke. Its just business as usual.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Can the Tory party get on with this please. Brady needs to change the rules tonight and get the vote done tomorrow.

They need to unless they want a GE on their hands.
    Has to be a fighting chance Brady was waiting for him in his office.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,582
    "Snap election: Boris Johnson could call quickfire vote to head off rebel MPs
    Sir Keir Starmer said his party wants to see the country go to the polls immediately to secure a 'fresh start for Britain'
    By Nick Gutteridge"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/07/06/snap-general-election-what-will-call-boris-johnson-confidence/
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Heathener said:

Its very necessary, its the Speaker's job to maintain standards in the House. Clapping goes firmly against those standards.

Loud "hear hears" are OK, clapping is not.
    There has been quite a lot of precedence though. I remember when Tony Blair stood down Cameron led the standing ovation and clapping. Also when Hillary Benn made a speech on the EU there was spontaneous clapping.

You and I have other fish to fry today but I'd like to Parliament brought up to date. Shouting hear hear is pretty rowdy. But one for another day perhaps? ;)
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373
    MaxPB said:

Not sure what the Central Banks in the EU, US and U.K. can do about much of the sources of inflation - oil, gas, food and wide range of imports from China up in price or constrained.

• Options

After this debacle his cabinet colleagues must realise that unless they resign their careers are over

I think, to be honest, those careers might be over anyway. Fools....
  • Options

I have never seen anything like it. Funereal mood on the Tory benches.
  • Options

Applicant said:

The post from last night that @bondegezou linked was exactly that - not all four letters of the word.
  • Options
    Who do I email about deleting my account? Is there an email for the moderation team? I'd like to leave this forum but don't want to be tempted back.
  • Options

I'm annoyed with one person over this mess. Not Boris. He's doing exactly what Boris does. I can't see why anyone is in the least bit surprised.

I'm not annoyed with his ministers, many of whom have proved to either not to have acted, or acted too late. I might find it hard in their position.

I'm not annoyed with the Conservative MPs who did not vote to get rid of him last week.

I'm annoyed with Rory Stewart. IMO he would have made a good PM (orders of magnitude better than Johnson), especially with the trials that have faced our country over the last couple of years. If he was there, as a Conservative MP, there might be a rational choice for a new PM. But he left in a strop.

He considered that (a) he couldn't associate himself with *that* and that there are more important things to do with his life and his talents. Can't fault him.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not sure what the Central Banks in the EU, US and U.K. can do about much of the sources of inflation - oil, gas, food and wide range of imports from China up in price or constrained.

Not fall behind the Fed so dollar priced commodities aren't additionally inflated by weak currency.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Saj speaking
  • Options
    Sajid Javid on his feet
  • Options
    Javid on his feet. I sense this is going to be beyond brutal from the first few lines.
  • Options
    Leon said:

For God’s sake man, I used an asterisk. I’ve told you umpteen times

The complete uncensored word will likely get you banned. That’s it. That’s the rule. Not complex
    I'm not wanting to get embroiled in other people's arguments but putting an asterisk in there to get away with slinging swear words at someone is pure weaseling.

Anyway, Sajid is on his feet.
  • Options
    When was the last August election?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,094

Who do I email about deleting my account? Is there an email for the moderation team? I'd like to leave this forum but don't want to be tempted back.

This is PB’s own micro-version of the wearyingly prolonged Departure of Boris Johnson
  • Options

Never thought I'd say this but don't go CHB. You've grown on me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Biggest transfer signing of the summer.....

I'm excited to announce that I've joined DeepMind! I'll be a research scientist in
    @OriolVinyalsML's Deep Learning team.

https://twitter.com/goodfellow_ian/status/1544638709039091717?s=20&t=iPutH3gk75MQ2XFEzIpQUQ
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Bit challenged geographically, though, Rory the Tory of fond memory. He did seem to think the Anglo-Scottish bordern runs just north of Newcastle Central Station.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    It's breathtaking that Johnson is still there and there are still enough ministerial shop window dummies allowing him to stay there. Surely it's well beyond obvious that there's no way back from this situation?
  • Options

Applicant said:

Stocky said:

Applicant said:

IshmaelZ said:

Applicant said:

Applicant said:

Not saying much.
    IshmaelZ said:

Saying even less...
    Relax, pal
    I'm not apologising for anything.

You are ignored too.
    That's fine by me. You never needed to start this.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

The complete uncensored word will likely get you banned. That’s it. That’s the rule. Not complex
    I'm not wanting to get embroiled in other people's arguments but putting an asterisk in there to get away with slinging swear words at someone is pure weaseling.

Not in the context of the site management - as has been explained.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Its really not. Asterisks mean its not caught by bots that can have a material effect on advertising etc, that's why its a rule. Asterisks are socially acceptable.
  • Options
    It is with sadness that I am resigning as Housing Minister.

I pay tribute to all my ministerial colleagues, officials, and civil servants in the Department and the wider sector.

I look forward to continuing to serve my constituents in Pudsey, Horsforth, and Aireborough. https://twitter.com/StuartAndrew/status/1544647660027760641/photo/1
  • Options
    Curiously, Theresa May's eyebrows are decidedly skywards listening to Javid's resignation statement.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    Javid resignation speech about integrity
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,112
    biggles said:

Heathener said:

They know it's all over.

Oh balls, I just remembered I went all in on Starmer as next PM, with a hedge on Reeves. It was on the basis I could cash out once the PM had a few stable months.

Sigh…
    Muppet! Been telling you for months that Boris would not be the PM going into the next election....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Bit challenged geographically, though, Rory the Tory of fond memory. He did seem to think the Anglo-Scottish bordern runs just north of Newcastle Central Station.
    I think we've had this conversation before, and AFAICR I didn't see a problem with what he was saying (wasn't it his program on the borders?)
  • Options
    Javid planting the one nation flag, pitching for the top job
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,094
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Says the spavined old crone that called me a “thoroughly nasty shit” with “mental health issues” about an hour ago

PB is fun today
  • Options
    I will find the email but please take this as confirmation I would like my account deleted or permanently banned, whatever is easier @PBModerator.

This site is great but I simply cannot contribute any further, it is too damaging to my mental health and I am not helping anyone else or myself by indulging any further.

Wish you all the best.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,373
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not fall behind the Fed so dollar priced commodities aren't additionally inflated by weak currency.
    That’s not going to squeeze the inflation out, just not have more inflation than the US, though….
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708

What is the point of the 1922 Committee having rules if they change them every time they want to eject a PM?

Because no one really believes the rules would actually be followed.
    Any other Conservative Prime Minister who 'won' a VoNC by the margin Johnson did would've resigned. Thatcher did, and Major had his personal limit. May was likewise ultimately forced out even though she won.

The rules should be clarified and improved. Something like:
    15% of letters to trigger a vote.
    If the vote reveals at least (say) 35% have no confidence, then go to a second round allowing alternative leaders to stand (plus the incumbent PM).
    If the vote reveals >50%, then PM out, and another round of votes which the PM can't stand in.

If the Confidence vote is WON by the PM (either outright in round 1, or in round 2) then no further VONC for a year UNLESS Brady gets 50% letters.

The timescale should not be restricted to a year. No PM should ever have the 'luxury' of being safe for a year.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Extraordinary argument between Macron and Putin four days before Ukraine war is revealed - to Moscow's fury: French leader blasted invasion plan... then Vladimir ended call by saying 'I'm in the gym'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10986959/Extraordinary-argument-Macron-Putin-four-days-war-revealed-Russias-fury.html
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think we've had this conversation before, and AFAICR I didn't see a problem with what he was saying (wasn't it his program on the borders?)
    Have we? Sorry, if so. His torchlit event along the Wall, it was. The one that got cancelled because of EH pointing out he didn't have enough thunderboxes and anyway it's forbidden to stand on the wall.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    telegraph website now dripping with 'johnson must go' columns.

he's lost his boss.

one article appears to be talking about his premiership in past tense. was it meant for release later this evening?
  • Options

You don't need to leave. Just don't get drawn into pointless arguments with other PBers.
  • Options
    This is interesting - Stuart Andrew was deputy chief whip for two years through tough times until being replaced by Pincher in February https://twitter.com/StuartAndrew/status/1544647660027760641
  • Options
    Javid not holding back at all.
  • Options
    Mea culpa for the lies told for Johnson, from Saj
This discussion has been closed.