Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tears for Keir? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2022 in General
imageTears for Keir? – politicalbetting.com

Picture: Sir Keir Starmer continues the tradition of party leaders to have illicit curries.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    Test
    Have I ever mentioned I really enjoy choosing pictures for threads?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,737

Why? Do you like making people throw up?

Speaking of which was this deliberately ambiguous:

his potential dodgy curry ?
    edited May 2022
    ydoethur said:

Yes, on both questions.
    edited May 2022

ydoethur said:

Yes, on both questions.
    Are you trying to turn yourself into PBs enema number 1?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Under Boris in the local elections the Tory vote held up pretty well in the Midlands and much of the redwall. I doubt any alternative Tory leader would have more appeal in those areas even against Starmer.

Starmer does have more appeal than Boris in London but what alternative Tory leader is winning back London post Brexit or even Home Counties Remain areas of the South which went LD on May 5th?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    edited May 2022
    HYUFD said:

Under Boris in the local elections the Tory vote held up pretty well in the Midlands and much of the redwall. I doubt any alternative Tory leader would have more appeal in those areas even against Starmer.

Starmer does have more appeal than Boris in London but what alternative Tory leader is winning back London post Brexit or even Home Counties Remain areas of the South which went LD on May 5th?

You cannot deny that the locals were terrible for the Tories.

I have a theory that Penny Mordaunt might be able to pull off the impossible - keeping the Red Wall vote who went for showman Boris, whilst being able to draw back voters who are appalled by "liar" Boris and are toying (or more) with the LibDems.

HYUFD said:

I have a theory that Penny Mordaunt might be able to pull off the impossible - keeping the Red Wall vote who went for showman Boris, whilst being able to draw back voters who are appalled by "liar" Boris and are toying (or more) with the LibDems.
    I like Penny as well.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

HYUFD said:

Agree. And she's a Minister but not close enough to the top to be tainted. She seems a good egg.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    NEW - Wakefield Labour party executive walks out of final vote to endorse by-election candidate, saying "to stay and vote would have condoned the process used."

Activists are v unhappy that final two candidates do not have Wakefield roots and that others were not shortlisted.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1525826238270656512
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    Starmer is going nowhere unless he gets a FPN from Durham Police .

Why would he face a leadership challenge?

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    So if he stands down after being fined for his curry, without being challenged formally for the leadership, this market will settle for “No”?
    Sandpit said:

So if he stands down after being fined for his curry, without being challenged formally for the leadership, this market will settle for “No”?

It'll void the market.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183

HYUFD said:

I like Penny as well.
    Me too.
    Her breadth of approval is surprisingly large. Possibly because she hasn't yet become high enough profile for any negative to he noticed, but still.
    Eagles, would you vote for Penny in the final two if Hunt wasn't there?
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I like Penny as well.
    Me too.
    Her breadth of approval is surprisingly large. Possibly because she hasn't yet become high enough profile for any negative to he noticed, but still.
    Depends who the other candidate is, struggling to think who I might vote for over her, perhaps Tom Tugendhat.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,135

HYUFD said:

Agree. And she's a Minister but not close enough to the top to be tainted. She seems a good egg.
    Sligfhtly unfortunate expression after reading the header, with its photo.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

They were terrible in inner London, Wales and Remain areas of the Home counties and not great in Scotland.

However in suburban areas of London the Tories gained Harrow from Labour and won new seats in Enfield.

In the Midlands Labour failed to gain a single council from the Tories and in pro Brexit areas of England from Harlow to Walsall to Sandwell the Conservatives actually gained seats.

Though I agree if Boris goes Mordaunt might be quite viable alternative
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, on both questions.
    No, just discharging his duty.

Sandpit said:

It'll void the market.
    Hmmm. So it’s an almost definite No if it’s not void then. There’s not 20% mad Corbynites, and even if the Tories change their leader he’s unlikely to be facing another landslide defeat.

So odds of 1/6 for something that might be void in two years’ time, when inflation will have eroded the stake by 15%. Think I’ll pass.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    nico679 said:

If Durham Police come to the same decision as they did with Cummings then Starmer will not be able to remain in office
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2022
    Korma Police
    Arrest this man

(Nicked from the polling station podcast)

HYUFD said:

Yes he can, if he wants.

He'd be wrong, but that's never stopped him in the past.

Weirdly, the one place they seemed to go OK was Staffordshire, which I think is increasing gentrification from Birmingham and Manchester as people move further out in search of greenery.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    Are Man City going to blow it??
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530

nico679 said:

If Durham Police come to the same decision as they did with Cummings then Starmer will not be able to remain in office
    I don’t think they can do this as the situation is somewhat different . If he’s committed a breach it would have to be a FPN .

Are Man City going to blow it??

David Moyes and Steven Gerrard to hand Liverpool the title?
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, on both questions.
    PS I did like TSE's 'void' pun.
    ping said:

Korma Police
    Arrest this man

(Nicked from the polling station podcast)

Ah yes, that is one of two decent Radiohead songs.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, on both questions.
    PS I did like TSE's 'void' pun.
    I didn't. It came over as a dire 'ere.
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I don’t think they can do this as the situation is somewhat different . If he’s committed a breach it would have to be a FPN .
    You would have thought so but Durham Police have form on this
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Have we discussed the transfer of LFÇ to some non-English League yet. They showed yesterday at Wembley that they dislike the UK so I'm sure they would hate to win the English Premiership.
    Hammers giving City a run around at present
    TOPPING said:

Have we discussed the transfer of LFÇ to some non-English League yet. They showed yesterday at Wembley that they dislike the UK so I'm sure they would hate to win the English Premiership.

Good idea. They could make the SPL more competitive.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,152

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I like Penny as well.
    Me too.
    Depends who the other candidate is, struggling to think who I might vote for over her, perhaps Tom Tugendhat.
    None of the prospective Tory leaders represents a significant policy shift from the current regime though. With inflation taking hold and Covid fading from the front pages I struggle to see how a change of personality is enough.

A new leader needs to grab hold of the economy and Brexit. Sunak would represent more of the same on both albeit with a slightly less pugnacious attitude to the EU, Truss more of the same too, Mordaunt less spiky but essentially the same politics as Boris, and Hunt and Tugendhat whilst more likely to repair relations with the EU are not known for having innovative answers to today’s economic issues.

Not that Labour have a big new policy in these areas either, but for the governing party to reinvent itself mid parliament it really needs to be defined by a significant policy shift.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Coffee News.

I just ordered my new bean to cup machine. De Longhi had one called a Dinamica (model ECAM 350.50.B !), reduced from £929 to £399. That is a mid-range machine.

The ideal machine for PB - it comes with an automatic frothing system.

They also have the one recommended here - the Eletta (ECAM 44.620.S)- reduced from £800 to £430, if anyone is in the market. 4 only, and 7 of the Dinamica in 2 different models.

The way it seems to work is that 3-4 models each month are reduced by approx 1/3 to 1/2 in price, and the retailers follow suit at about about £20 more expensive.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb/products/coffee/automatic-coffee-makers/c/automatic_coffee_makers
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Penny is untested.

She’s a void upon which PB Tories can cast their fantasies. We don’t know much about her at all.
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I like Penny as well.
    Me too.
    None of the prospective Tory leaders represents a significant policy shift from the current regime though. With inflation taking hold and Covid fading from the front pages I struggle to see how a change of personality is enough.

A new leader needs to grab hold of the economy and Brexit. Sunak would represent more of the same on both albeit with a slightly less pugnacious attitude to the EU, Truss more of the same too, Mordaunt less spiky but essentially the same politics as Boris, and Hunt and Tugendhat whilst more likely to repair relations with the EU are not known for having innovative answers to today’s economic issues.

Not that Labour have a big new policy in these areas either, but for the governing party to reinvent itself mid parliament it really needs to be defined by a significant policy shift.
    It's all about inflation now and for the next year or so. The current government have no idea on how to deal with it. If LAB can come up with something coherent then that may well help them. But we need action now not after the next GE
    Video of what looks very much like thermite cluster bombs, raining down on Azovstal steelworks in Mariopol this morning. :cry:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1525820181255270400
    TOPPING said:

Fake news, they just hate the establishment that committed a blood libel on the city.

TimS said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

I like Penny as well.
    Me too.

It's all about inflation now and for the next year or so. The current government have no idea on how to deal with it. If LAB can come up with something coherent then that may well help them. But we need action now not after the next GE
    Inflation is tipped (by the BoE, so take with a pinch of salt) to continue into H1 ‘23 and then to taper off somewhat.

Since most of the inflation is a global phenomenon, there’s little the government can do save protecting the least well off, ensuring we are less vulnerable around our energy supplies in the future, committing to removing frictions in our trade with Europe, and probably also a commitment to some competition and micro-economic reform.

I did actually propose a lot of this - on here - about 9 months ago but the usual suspects told me inflation was good, or something.
    Wow 2
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited May 2022
    Lol Man City

Penny is untested.

She’s a void upon which PB Tories can cast their fantasies. We don’t know much about her at all.

I don't even know how you pronounce her surname. Is it 'more-dant'? 'Mord-aren't'? 'More-dunt'?
    Come on the Hammers!

Wow 2

Yes really bad time for Man City to concede. Liverpool on for 4 after all?
    edited May 2022

Wow 2

No, it is not happening, Liverpool are not going to win all 4.
  • POLL: Sunday Times/Behaviour & Attitudes
    (dates unstated, prob circa May 1-12; MoE 3.3%)

Sinn Féin 36 (+4 in one month)
    Fianna Fáil 24 (+1)
    Fine Gael 19 (-5)
    Labour 5
    PBP-Solidarity: 2 (+1)
    Social Democrats 2
    Greens 2 (-2)
    Aontú 1
    Inds/others 9 (+2)

Great poll for Sinn Fein in the RoI breaking through the magic 35%.

On these figures they could even perhaps be strong enough to get up to 70 seats and form a minority gvt in 2025.

Also decent for Fianna Fail but terrible for FG and the Greens.

Labour also stable.
    The other big match of the day is kicking off in 12 minutes at Edgeley Park, where Stockport need a draw against Halifax to return to the football league. 10,000 plus attendance, with tickets sold out long ago. Anything else and the Hollywood boys from Wrexham will be in with a chance of nicking it, though they face a not-straightforward trip to Dagenham.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Wow 2

Goal difference says that's unlikely.
    Cookie said:

The other big match of the day is kicking off in 12 minutes at Edgeley Park, where Stockport need a draw against Halifax to return to the football league. 10,000 plus attendance, with tickets sold out long ago. Anything else and the Hollywood boys from Wrexham will be in with a chance of nicking it, though they face a not-straightforward trip to Dagenham.

Yes good luck with that. Good for Stockport to come back. You should be ok though given your mid week result.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Penny is untested.

She is a has been whose career has been in decline for about three years and shows zero energy or aptitude for the necessary self-promotion.
    Sandpit said:

Video of what looks very much like thermite cluster bombs, raining down on Azovstal steelworks in Mariopol this morning. :cry:

At this point it seems incredible anthing is still standing, or people still alive. Poor devils, no one can get to them.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Scott_xP said:

NEW - Wakefield Labour party executive walks out of final vote to endorse by-election candidate, saying "to stay and vote would have condoned the process used."

Activists are v unhappy that final two candidates do not have Wakefield roots and that others were not shortlisted.

Yes, it's been messy - as I understand it, a conference decision to allow CLPs to nomiate 3 short-listees has been circumvented by fine print, enabling the leadership to avoid including a local Corbynite. Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of this, how far will it affect the outcome of the by-election? Not very much, I suspect - most people have strictly limited interest in the proceeding of constituency parties (sadly!), and of those who do, a proportion will be pleased Labour is not choosing a left-winger. Although some activists may not sit the election out, I'd expect most to pile in now they've made their point.

Scott_xP said:

Yes, it's been messy - as I understand it, a conference decision to allow CLPs to nomiate 3 short-listees has been circumvented by fine print, enabling the leadership to avoid including a local Corbynite. Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of this, how far will it affect the outcome of the by-election? Not very much, I suspect - most people have strictly limited interest in the proceeding of constituency parties (sadly!), and of those who do, a proportion will be pleased Labour is not choosing a left-winger. Although some activists may not sit the election out, I'd expect most to pile in now they've made their point.
    In which case it sounds like a savvy move by Keir. He avoids a troublesome new MP, annoying those who already disliked him, without affecting the prospects of a win.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

You do know that Scotland is also part of the UK, right? I mean, there's "hating the UK", and then there is having no idea of basic political geography.
    Dura_Ace said:

Penny is untested.

She is a has been whose career has been in decline for about three years and shows zero energy or aptitude for the necessary self-promotion.
    I guess the counter to that she’s shown conspicuous lack of interest in the Boris Show.

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

You do know that Scotland is also part of the UK, right? I mean, there's "hating the UK", and then there is having no idea of basic political geography.
    Ha, fair point. I got momentarily excited by the idea of a third competitive team in the SPL.
    But to the people booing 'Abide with me' I don't think making sense is too far up the agenda.
    Man City big club
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,911
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Ha, fair point. I got momentarily excited by the idea of a third competitive team in the SPL.
    But to the people booing 'Abide with me' I don't think making sense is too far up the agenda.
    Yeah I don't really get booing. It's like the England fans who boo other people's national anthems. Maybe they just don't like hymns?
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

At this point it seems incredible anthing is still standing, or people still alive. Poor devils, no one can get to them.
    I assumed the same, but I saw something on the TV a few weeks ago where it was commented that the place is full of bunkers including multiple nuclear bunkers (something like 30, but I could be making that up) all interconnected with tunnels that the Russians built. Presumably the Russians have the plans, but even so it would seem nigh on impossible to take. I assume siege, as the Russians said they were going to do is the only option, but they seem to have abandoned that idea as soon as they said it.

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Ireland would be more convenient anyway. Liverpool is a pain to get to, esp. by train.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

Cookie said:

Yes good luck with that. Good for Stockport to come back. You should be ok though given your mid week result.
    There's a starman
    Wearing number 9
    His name is Paddy Madden
    And he's scoring all the time

Get in!!!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,612
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Pounded ruins can hold out, and provide shelter for defenders for astonishing periods of time - see WWI and WW2.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

There’s around a thousand Ukranian soldiers there apparently, many of whom are injured.

The steelworks, and a lot of the city beyond it, was designed in Soviet times with a network of tunnels and shelters for a nuclear war. It’s supposed to be pretty much impossible to capture.
    Stockport 👍
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

There’s around a thousand Ukranian soldiers there apparently, many of whom are injured.

The steelworks, and a lot of the city beyond it, was designed in Soviet times with a network of tunnels and shelters for a nuclear war. It’s supposed to be pretty much impossible to capture.
    American doctrine from early Cold War was that to completely destroy a large steel plant would take 2 mk3 nukes.

That’s the bomb dropped on Nagasaki….
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

There are a lot of football fans who love their club and hate absolutely everything else. There is a spectrum to all this. Some will be happy just hating one or two other clubs, for others the hatred will extend to absolutely everything not explicitly associated with their club, like the Krikkiters in Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - other clubs, national anthems, hymns, policemen, police horses, shops, trains. It must be exhausting.
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

There are a lot of football fans who love their club and hate absolutely everything else. There is a spectrum to all this. Some will be happy just hating one or two other clubs, for others the hatred will extend to absolutely everything not explicitly associated with their club, like the Krikkiters in Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - other clubs, national anthems, hymns, policemen, police horses, shops, trains. It must be exhausting.
    Society would be much better if everyone could do their two hours of irrational hatred on Saturday afternoons, and learn to behave sensibly for the other 166 hours in the week.

Sadly, thanks mostly to social media, we see people behaving like football fans in so many other situations.
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Society would be much better if everyone could do their two hours of irrational hatred on Saturday afternoons, and learn to behave sensibly for the other 166 hours in the week.

Sadly, thanks mostly to social media, we see people behaving like football fans in so many other situations.
    I agree with all that, except I need a bit more than two hours of irrational hatred. Could I bargain you up to five?
    Level og
    Not unknown for West Ham to blow leads...

Dura_Ace said:

Penny is untested.

I guess the counter to that she’s shown conspicuous lack of interest in the Boris Show.
    Same thing really, the latter is the only way to get ahead.
    Simon Lightwood is Labour’s Wakefield candidate.
    I thought Labour couldn’t find a local candidate. Lightwood lives in the electorate and seems to have been around for a while.

So where has he come from, and why all the controversy around the selection process?

Is it that he’s been parachuted in from HQ, that the local party is still run by Corbynites, or both of the above?
    Sandpit said:

So where has he come from, and why all the controversy around the selection process?

Is it that he’s been parachuted in from HQ, that the local party is still run by Corbynites, or both of the above?
    I think the problem is he’s not a Corbynite and the local party seems to be riddled with them.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

I agree with all that, except I need a bit more than two hours of irrational hatred. Could I bargain you up to five?
    Cricket?
    LOL
    edited May 2022
    Daggers beating Wrexham!

Or not... Goal disallowed...
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    Dura_Ace said:

Penny is untested.

Even you like her then - how can she fail?
    Two points dropped by City today, now just need them to drop two more next week.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    edited May 2022
    I notice that B. Johnson came on for West Ham in injury time. To block the goal, perhaps?

I notice that B. Johnson came on for West Ham in injury time. To block the goal, perhaps?

I guess for this sort of tackling technique.

Applicant said:

No wonder he likes being filmed at JCB factories.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    Sandpit said:

Avostal makes the Alamo look like a school picnic. The defenders are reportedly almost out of medicines, with amputations for minor wounds as they have no antibiotics. It's astonishing they've held out as long as they have.
    Though surrender isn't an option.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1525845692551512067
    Why Azov Regiment surrendering to Russia not an option: from 2014, only 1
    @Polk_Azov fighter returned from 🇷🇺captivity alive, with smashed teeth & internal organs. All others were tortured & killed - Yulia Fedosiuk at presser of Azovstal wives
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,849
    Applicant said:

Is that football or rugby? Hard to tell.
    Will Collar scores goals.
    And Daggers do lead!

F*** you Wrexham, we're gonna win the league...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,569
    Cookie said:

Penny is untested.

I don't even know how you pronounce her surname. Is it 'more-dant'? 'Mord-aren't'? 'More-dunt'?
    More or less.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

Scott_xP said:

This is all true, but one of several reasons why a Tory majority next time is a perfectly plausible proposition (the horse called 'Tory majority' is the 15/8 favourite, a fact no-one on PB ever seems to recall) is that during the campaign season, which will start all too soon, Labour will be under heavy artillery fire on several fronts. One will be that the only politically safe government is the Tory one because Labour is an extreme left outfit with a man of straw at the top.

The left threat prevented a Labour government in 2017 despite the Tories running the worst campaign in history (apart from 'Remain' in 2016).

Every internal spat between SKS and Corbynistas is grist to the mill. 15/8 Tory majority is actually too long. It's value.

Applicant said:

And Daggers do lead!

Are you Stockport too Applicant?
    Cookie said:

Applicant said:

And Daggers do lead!

Aye. Was at Chesterfield, Wembley and Nuneaton for the last three promotions, couldn't make it today, stuck watching BT...
    Applicant said:

Cookie said:

Applicant said:

And Daggers do lead!

Aye. Was at Chesterfield, Wembley and Nuneaton for the last three promotions, couldn't make it today, stuck watching BT...
    You're a better fan than me. I don't think I've been to a game this century. I moved away from Stockport in the 90s and though I'm fairly local again now it's a habit I never got back into. I am quite enjoying having a football match I can care about though.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Goodison absolutely bouncing. A win and we are safe with two to play.
    Quite a turnaround on both fronts in no time.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,227
    One for @BlancheLivermore

Looking in front of me

Looking directly behind me

Chin chin
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,451
    kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

From the participants it looks like a warm up for the UK Body Building national champs.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,227

TOPPING said:

Fake news, they just hate the establishment that committed a blood libel on the city.
    They booed ABIDE WITH ME

They are vulgar, ugly, stupid, uncultured, infantile bags of shite. They’re not even *nails* enough to be called thugs any more
    Leon said:

One for @BlancheLivermore

Looking in front of me

Looking directly behind me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

From the participants it looks like a warm up for the UK Body Building national champs.
    Sumo, surely.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

They are vulgar, ugly, stupid, uncultured, infantile bags of shite. They’re not even *nails* enough to be called thugs any more
    They make it very hard to sympathise with them.
This discussion has been closed.