Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tears for Keir? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,812
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Have we discussed the transfer of LFÇ to some non-English League yet. They showed yesterday at Wembley that they dislike the UK so I'm sure they would hate to win the English Premiership.

Good idea. They could make the SPL more competitive.
    You do know that Scotland is also part of the UK, right? I mean, there's "hating the UK", and then there is having no idea of basic political geography.
    Ha, fair point. I got momentarily excited by the idea of a third competitive team in the SPL.
    But to the people booing 'Abide with me' I don't think making sense is too far up the agenda.
    There are a lot of football fans who love their club and hate absolutely everything else. There is a spectrum to all this. Some will be happy just hating one or two other clubs, for others the hatred will extend to absolutely everything not explicitly associated with their club, like the Krikkiters in Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy - other clubs, national anthems, hymns, policemen, police horses, shops, trains. It must be exhausting.
    Or Scousers are just thick c*nts. Let’s go with that, given the evidence
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Richarlison.
    Staying up somehow.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,641
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Applicant said:

I notice that B. Johnson came on for West Ham in injury time. To block the goal, perhaps?

I guess for this sort of tackling technique.

Is that football or rugby? Hard to tell.
    From the participants it looks like a warm up for the UK Body Building national champs.
    Sumo, surely.
    You don't see that level of muscularity in sumo.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

One for @BlancheLivermore

Looking in front of me

Looking directly behind me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?
    Close with the first. Very close
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    dixiedean said:

Richarlison.
    Staying up somehow.

I never bought into the Everton relegation hype - there were always at least 3 or 4 teams clearly worse.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,289
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Have we discussed the transfer of LFÇ to some non-English League yet. They showed yesterday at Wembley that they dislike the UK so I'm sure they would hate to win the English Premiership.

Fake news, they just hate the establishment that committed a blood libel on the city.
    They booed ABIDE WITH ME

They are vulgar, ugly, stupid, uncultured, infantile bags of shite. They’re not even *nails* enough to be called thugs any more
    I see you've been on the sauce again.

I guess you'll be able to direct me to your posts criticising the Manchester City fans for not adhering to the minute's silence at the semi final.

Your fake outrage is like Sweden's favourite son of dick getting outraged over something England has done.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Richarlison.
    Staying up somehow.

I'm looking forward to the Fulham v Everton matches, or the Marco Silva derby as they shall be known as.
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Fake news, they just hate the establishment that committed a blood libel on the city.
    They booed ABIDE WITH ME

They are vulgar, ugly, stupid, uncultured, infantile bags of shite. They’re not even *nails* enough to be called thugs any more

I guess you'll be able to direct me to your posts criticising the Manchester City fans for not adhering to the minute's silence at the semi final.

Your fake outrage is like Sweden's favourite son of dick getting outraged over something England has done.
    Scousers are the sort of people who would boo a Mozart symphony or piss on a Michelangelo sculpture JUST BECAUSE it is beautiful. They are quite vile

Has anyone ever sat in a bar or a hotel or a restaurant then heard a load of Scouse accents coming through the door and thought “oh, great”

That’s not true of any other accent. Not even brummie or Glaswegian. Liverpool accents? Yes

• Options
    Dirty Everton down to ten men all though this might be the greatest ever VAR.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Scousers are the sort of people who would boo a Mozart symphony or piss on a Michelangelo sculpture JUST BECAUSE it is beautiful. They are quite vile

Has anyone ever sat in a bar or a hotel or a restaurant then heard a load of Scouse accents coming through the door and thought “oh, great”

That’s not true of any other accent. Not even brummie or Glaswegian. Liverpool accents? Yes

You sound like Kelvin Mackenzie.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Applicant said:

dixiedean said:

Richarlison.
    Staying up somehow.

I never bought into the Everton relegation hype - there were always at least 3 or 4 teams clearly worse.
    They were literally in the relegation zone 2 weeks ago
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

What one English accent from another? I judge you all the same.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?
    Pictures on the wall? Only kidding. The behind view looks great.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Seriously. If Liverpool want to make themselves the most hated club in the country, this is the way to do it. ok Boo the national anthem, boo Prince William - which I think is ignorant, vulgar, unwise and deeply ill-mannered - but let it go - but then they boo - for fucks sake - one of the most beautiful and profound hymns ever written, a poignant meditation of the nearness of death? Actually BOO IT. What do they think they are booing? God? Religion? Death? Or are they just baboons?

I’ll go with the latter. They are footballs equivalent of the Visigoths throwing their own faeces at the Pantheon, because its perfection perplexes them, that’s the average mentality of a Liverpool fan

And they have a lot of national sympathy for their story. Way to totally squander it
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    A police probe into allegations of a £600,000 SNP donations fraud has been codenamed Operation Branchform by detectives.

The investigation was launched last year after it was claimed money had been illegally diverted from a “ring-fenced” fund to fight an independence referendum.

The row over the “missing” cash sparked the resignation of several senior nationalists from the party’s ruling body. It was claimed SNP chief executive Peter Murrell, who is married to Nicola Sturgeon, had refused them permission to see the party’s accounts.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/snp-donations-probe-police-branchform-26967273.amp
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Seriously. If Liverpool want to make themselves the most hated club in the country, this is the way to do it. ok Boo the national anthem, boo Prince William - which I think is ignorant, vulgar, unwise and deeply ill-mannered - but let it go - but then they boo - for fucks sake - one of the most beautiful and profound hymns ever written, a poignant meditation of the nearness of death? Actually BOO IT. What do they think they are booing? God? Religion? Death? Or are they just baboons?

I’ll go with the latter. They are footballs equivalent of the Visigoths throwing their own faeces at the Pantheon, because its perfection perplexes them, that’s the average mentality of a Liverpool fan

And they have a lot of national sympathy for their story. Way to totally squander it
    The truly cultured throw other people's faeces at the Pantheon
  • Options
    North Rhine Westfalia ZDF

CDU 35,0 %
    ↘️SPD 27,5 %
    ↗️Grüne 18,5 %
    ↘️AfD 6,0 %
    ↘️FDP 5,0 %
    ↘️Linke 2,1 %

Good result for the CDU but looks like an SPD-Green majority anyway.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway, one of the many advantages of having a Daughter in hospitality is that our knives get professionally sharpened. And I am sure you will all be delighted to know that using one of those sharp knives, some alcohol and your wonderful tips (for which many thanks) I managed to extract my splinter.

Hooray!

Of course, now that arm is covered in nettle stings as a result of more gardening.

I like to live dangerously ....😀

I just pullout nettles with my hands. I don't mind nettle stings. I used to cycle through them on my off road bike. Red Ants however! A couple of weeks ago while still on crutches I attempted some gardening. My gooseberry and blackcurrant beds were surrounded by grass, weeds, nettles over a foot high. So I lay on the ground to sort it out. My arm was lying on a red ant nest. Needless to say I stood up without the appropriate use of the crutches.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

A gentleman does not throw anyone's faeces, he used properly designed tools to project it at that target.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,064
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

That's a pretty ignorant and bigoted opinion. Personally I like the scouse accent, it's quite musical and has a lot of humour in it, quite sexy too. Plenty of culture in Liverpool too, the Beatles, Roger McGough, Alan Bleasdale, Willy Russell, Craig Charles, Alexei Sayle...
    "not even brummie or Glaswegian"... Christ, so much to unpack there. You are quite the snob, aren't you!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,120
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

A gentleman does not throw anyone's faeces, he used properly designed tools to project it at that target.
    I’m now imaging an antique Victorian faeces thrower, made of ebony, with an ivory handle, in the style of the modern tennis ball throwers so beloved of dog walkers with under developed throwing skills.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977

HYUFD said:

Under Boris in the local elections the Tory vote held up pretty well in the Midlands and much of the redwall. I doubt any alternative Tory leader would have more appeal in those areas even against Starmer.

Starmer does have more appeal than Boris in London but what alternative Tory leader is winning back London post Brexit or even Home Counties Remain areas of the South which went LD on May 5th?

You cannot deny that the locals were terrible for the Tories.

I have a theory that Penny Mordaunt might be able to pull off the impossible - keeping the Red Wall vote who went for showman Boris, whilst being able to draw back voters who are appalled by "liar" Boris and are toying (or more) with the LibDems.
    Actually I suspect that @HYUFD *could* deny the locals were terrible for the Tories. He’d point to the change in voting share is Lesser Borsetshire between 1964 and 1997 as irrefutable proof.

He’d be wrong, of course, but he could do it
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

That's a pretty ignorant and bigoted opinion. Personally I like the scouse accent, it's quite musical and has a lot of humour in it, quite sexy too. Plenty of culture in Liverpool too, the Beatles, Roger McGough, Alan Bleasdale, Willy Russell, Craig Charles, Alexei Sayle...
    "not even brummie or Glaswegian"... Christ, so much to unpack there. You are quite the snob, aren't you!
    It takes a real philistine to disparage Liverpool. Or if not a real one, someone playing one on TV.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

All of Leon's hatred and bigotry is performative, done for attention. You shouldn't assume he really means anything he says.
  • Options
    I am told by some police types that scouse gangs are real go getters, if that helps.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

All of Leon's hatred and bigotry is performative, done for attention. You shouldn't assume he really means anything he says.
    I was astonished by the hatred shown towards Liverpudlians by people from the north-west (one from Chester, another from Blackpool). It's widely shared.
  • Options
    Sweden's ruling Social Democrats were poised on Sunday to come out in favour of the country joining NATO, paving the way for an application soon after and abandoning decades of military non-alignment in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/swedens-ruling-party-poised-back-nato-bid-2022-05-15/
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

I’m now imaging an antique Victorian faeces thrower, made of ebony, with an ivory handle, in the style of the modern tennis ball throwers so beloved of dog walkers with under developed throwing skills.
    Have you seen a VIctorian sewage treatment system? They had real class about everything*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossness_Pumping_Station#/media/File:Crossness_IMG5904.jpg

*excepting treatment of women, minorities, children, other countries etc
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

I was astonished by the hatred shown towards Liverpudlians by people from the north-west (one from Chester, another from Blackpool). It's widely shared.
    They’re gonna end up as the Millwall of the EPL
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

CDU 35,0 %
    ↘️SPD 27,5 %
    ↗️Grüne 18,5 %
    ↘️AfD 6,0 %
    ↘️FDP 5,0 %
    ↘️Linke 2,1 %

Not sure - majority is 100, and they seem to be on 99?

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/thema/landtagswahl-in-nordrhein-westfalen-102.html?slide=Sitze-NORD2022

Mind you, it's hard to see the other three forming a coalition.

It's a huge win for the Greens (from 6.4% to 18%!), at the expense of nearly everyone else, except as you say the CDU (33 to 35%). The Liberal FDP and far left Linke are absolutely hammered, both losing more than half their votes. SPD down a bit too (31 to 28).
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,732

Simon Lightwood is Labour’s Wakefield candidate.

He seems like a very good candidate , lives locally and worked for the NHS . Not sure what all the drama was about .
  • Options
    AND I’ve only had one a half beer

Wait til I start on the local plonk (about €3 a litre)

• Options
    Nadhim Zahawi for next PM, he finally speaks on the last acceptable bigotry, the persecution of the privately educated.

Nadhim Zahawi: Oxbridge shouldn’t ‘tilt the system’ to favour state schools

Education Secretary says UK should be ‘proud’ of its private schools as Education Select Committee chair says ‘meritocracy’ is still lacking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/14/nadhim-zahawi-oxbridge-shouldnt-tilt-system-favour-state-schools/
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    nico679 said:

He seems like a very good candidate , lives locally and worked for the NHS . Not sure what all the drama was about .
    Indeed, it makes the local executive look crazy, at best overreacting to some procedural point, when the national leadership did not look to impose some carpet bagging Spad on them. Own worst enemy.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Nah, people all over the country support Liverpool.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Yes, while I rather assumed since Alex Ferguson left Man U, Liverpool were already the most hated team in England.
  • Options

Nadhim Zahawi for next PM, he finally speaks on the last acceptable bigotry, the persecution of the privately educated.

Education Secretary says UK should be ‘proud’ of its private schools as Education Select Committee chair says ‘meritocracy’ is still lacking

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/05/14/nadhim-zahawi-oxbridge-shouldnt-tilt-system-favour-state-schools/

Allow me to dry my tears at the injustice with an old school tie.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

It takes a real philistine to disparage Liverpool. Or if not a real one, someone playing one on TV.
    Liverpool is one of my favourite English cities, it's got an incredible energy and mythology.
  • Options

Ha ha who said satire is dead.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I don't know but I'd put down good money they went to private school.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Are you trying the new social media app ?
    https://slate.com/human-interest/2022/05/bereal-app-guide-explained.html
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,641

Thank God we elected a government determined to take on the out of touch educated elite.
  • Options

I'm the grandson of humble immigrants to this country, it was a private education that allowed my father and myself to flourish and succeed in this country.
  • Options

I'm the grandson of humble immigrants to this country, it was a private education that allowed my father and myself to flourish and succeed in this country.
    Wonderful stuff indeed. That means people cannot critique overrepresentation of the public school educated?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Video of what looks very much like thermite cluster bombs, raining down on Azovstal steelworks in Mariopol this morning. :cry:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1525820181255270400

Avostal makes the Alamo look like a school picnic. The defenders are reportedly almost out of medicines, with amputations for minor wounds as they have no antibiotics. It's astonishing they've held out as long as they have.
    Though surrender isn't an option.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1525845692551512067
    Why Azov Regiment surrendering to Russia not an option: from 2014, only 1
    @Polk_Azov fighter returned from 🇷🇺captivity alive, with smashed teeth & internal organs. All others were tortured & killed - Yulia Fedosiuk at presser of Azovstal wives
    Its so sad, the men in Avostal, have held out so coragiosy. While many/most are part of the Azov regiment, its worth noting that there are also some Marians and some boarder guards also there, maybe other units also that I'm not aware off.

Its difficult to see a ether a Ukrainian breakthrough to the plant, or a way for them to resupply and reinforce. I also think it unlikely that Russia will allow them to leave, alive.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,881

EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Liverpool is one of my favourite English cities, it's got an incredible energy and mythology.
    I think a large chunk of the UK drugs trade comes in via RoI and then Liverpool, and this leads to a disproportionate number of OCGs developing in the city? Might be why they have such a bad reputation.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,224
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

Indeed, it makes the local executive look crazy, at best overreacting to some procedural point, when the national leadership did not look to impose some carpet bagging Spad on them. Own worst enemy.
    But he is a member of the Judean People's Front. Not The People's Front of Judea.

So he is much much worse than the RomansTories.
  • Options

And contributed to your legendary modesty too no doubt.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I'm the grandson of humble immigrants to this country, it was a concentration of resources on us to the detriment of others that allowed my father and myself to flourish and succeed in this country.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Have you seen a VIctorian sewage treatment system? They had real class about everything*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossness_Pumping_Station#/media/File:Crossness_IMG5904.jpg

Astounding.
  • Options

And contributed to your legendary modesty too no doubt.
    Honestly, I was very shy and modest at school.

It was when I went to university that I became the rather more immodest and self confident chap I am today.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

There are 2 distinct Scouse accents too. The harsh, whiny one of Harry Enfield fame.
    And the slow, melodic darker one of Paul McCartney.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,590
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?
    I can't decide if the beer label is Cyrillic or Hellenic.

Larissa, or somewhere under Olympos Oros?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wonderful stuff indeed. That means people cannot critique overrepresentation of the public school educated?
    The latest fashion is for your children to be tutored personally through A levels - 4 subjects, 4 tutors, while “attending” a local state institution.

This is cheaper than private school and allows you to claim that your are a member of the Head Count.

The state schools play along, to the point of not reporting absence, since having a child with 4 predicted A************* and going to a top university makes you look better…..
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,801
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Or gets his servants to throw them for him.
  • Options

CDU 35,0 %
    ↘️SPD 27,5 %
    ↗️Grüne 18,5 %
    ↘️AfD 6,0 %
    ↘️FDP 5,0 %
    ↘️Linke 2,1 %

Not sure - majority is 100, and they seem to be on 99?

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/thema/landtagswahl-in-nordrhein-westfalen-102.html?slide=Sitze-NORD2022

Mind you, it's hard to see the other three forming a coalition.

It's a huge win for the Greens (from 6.4% to 18%!), at the expense of nearly everyone else, except as you say the CDU (33 to 35%). The Liberal FDP and far left Linke are absolutely hammered, both losing more than half their votes. SPD down a bit too (31 to 28).
    The FDP, assuming they make it will be under huge pressure to join the SPD/Greens.
    They will then nominate representatives to the Upper House. Where the opposition currently has a majority.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They can, but it often sounds like the politics of envy.

The best footballers generally end up at the best clubs, is it any surprise the best students end up at the best universities and Oxford?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Astounding.
    Imagine when England is a wasteland populated only by cockroaches and parakeets. Future archaeologists will look upon the ruins of this ritual centre and travel writers will come from the metropoleis of Wick and New Zealand and Tristan da Cunha and exclaim in wonder at the devotion with which the English worshipped shite.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Or gets his servants to throw them for him.
    Good god, man.

No no no.

One asks one’s butler. who sends the under butler to the servants hall for the servants to the servants..

Where he asks if they have heard of any chaps, in the neighbourhood, who would undertake unsavoury work for a fee.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The best footballers generally end up at the best clubs, is it any surprise the best students end up at the best universities and Oxford?
    Oxford obviously not considered one of the best ... mind, it is slipping down HMG's research stats table. Though still quite high up.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Nah, people all over the country support Liverpool.
    Yes. Liverpool are the Manchester United of Liverpool.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I recall reading research saying that the privately educated do less well than state school pupils at top universities on average though, suggesting they might not be the best students. Perhaps just the best coached for interviews and the most spoon fed through school.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    The racist 'Great Replacement Theory' pushed by Tucker Carlson and the loonier Republicans in Congress, which appears to be the motivation behind recent mass showings in the US, is just an updated version of something that goes back about a century in the US.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1027556420512886785
    Consider Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race (1916), which complained about unwanted demographic changes in the same terms.

Older Americans from the "Nordic race," Grant warned, were increasingly being displaced by newer immigrants from southern and eastern Europe...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Oxford obviously not considered one of the best ... mind, it is slipping down HMG's research stats table. Though still quite high up.
    Aye, it's a seventh rate dump.

Oxford has fallen behind the University of Leicester for medical research in the latest academic rankings.

Experts said the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF), which is carried out by Research England and measures the volume, quality and impact of research produced at different universities, shows high-quality research is spread evenly across the UK and will boost the government’s “levelling up” agenda.

While Oxbridge and other Russell Group universities have been ranked highly, other universities such as Northumbria and Leicester have leapt up the rankings since the league table was last published in 2014.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leicester-overtakes-oxford-for-medical-research-vnpqq8c8d
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Astounding.
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Astounding.
    Imagine when England is a wasteland populated only by cockroaches and parakeets. Future archaeologists will look upon the ruins of this ritual centre and travel writers will come from the metropoleis of Wick and New Zealand and Tristan da Cunha and exclaim in wonder at the devotion with which the English worshipped shite.
    Very amusing, but it’s actually an interesting point too. We very often have little or no idea of what our ancestors believed, certainly once you go back beyond writing. I always laugh when people claim to have shoved the riddle of Stonehenge, or such like. All we can do is theorise, never prove. Stonehenge May have had nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with party, stone/Bronze Age style.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The latest fashion is for your children to be tutored personally through A levels - 4 subjects, 4 tutors, while “attending” a local state institution.

This is cheaper than private school and allows you to claim that your are a member of the Head Count.

The state schools play along, to the point of not reporting absence, since having a child with 4 predicted A************* and going to a top university makes you look better…..
    And if one of those A-levels is speaking foreign, said tutor might be posting on pb. History too, perhaps.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,206
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

The N and the I are definitely Greek.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I recall reading research saying that the privately educated do less well than state school pupils at top universities on average though, suggesting they might not be the best students. Perhaps just the best coached for interviews and the most spoon fed through school.
    Definitely my experience amongst some of my friends and wider observation at uni. The comprehensive folk tended to be more consistent with earlier records - the public school persons much more erratic, some spectacularly built on earlier coaching, others collapsed without it sometimes spectacularly. But those were in the olden days - unis are now much more pressured to produce consistent performance from the student body. As indeed may be the "public schools". Friend of mine went to one and sent his children there. He was struck by the way in which its corporate attention had shiften somewhat from encouraging Oxbridge etc high flyers to a more consistent output for the money, albeit not so good for the bright.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

Oh, of course you;re right - won't be cyrillic, silly me.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It’s a while back now but my grammar school did nothing to help me in the interview process for Cambridge. I strongly suspect that private school candidates had had interview training and practice. Could have made all the difference.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

kle4 said:

Only amongst those with A* grades at A level and to get an A* grade at the average comp you have to be pretty outstanding anyway

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/nov/05/top-state-school-pupils-get-better-degrees-than-those-from-private-schools
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

Oh, of course you;re right - won't be cyrillic, silly me.
    I taught myself how to read Greek from astronomy books (you know, Alpha Centauri, Beta Orionis, and all that!).
  • Options
    What is it with police in this country?

The sister of a black man who died in police custody has told the BBC that she believes Scotland is a racist country.

Sheku Bayoh, 31, died after being restrained by officers in Kirkcaldy, Fife, in 2015.

At a public inquiry into his death last week, his sister Kadi Johnson said she no longer feels safe in Scotland....

......Police were called out in the early hours of 3 May 2015 after Sheku Bayoh was seen behaving erratically with a knife in a Kirkcaldy street. He had earlier taken drugs which friends said altered his behaviour.

According to police statements, when officers arrived he no longer had the knife, but failed to obey instructions to get down on the ground.

The officers used force on Mr Bayoh, including CS Spray and batons. He then punched PC Nicole Short, who fell to the ground.

Two officers, PC Craig Walker and PC Ashley Tomlinson, later told investigators that Mr Bayoh carried out a violent stamping attack on PC Short. However, evidence obtained by the BBC's Panorama programme suggested these accounts may have been false.

Mr Bayoh was restrained for five minutes before falling unconscious. He was pronounced dead in hospital a short time later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61455683
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Definitely my experience amongst some of my friends and wider observation at uni. The comprehensive folk tended to be more consistent with earlier records - the public school persons much more erratic, some spectacularly built on earlier coaching, others collapsed without it sometimes spectacularly. But those were in the olden days - unis are now much more pressured to produce consistent performance from the student body. As indeed may be the "public schools". Friend of mine went to one and sent his children there. He was struck by the way in which its corporate attention had shiften somewhat from encouraging Oxbridge etc high flyers to a more consistent output for the money, albeit not so good for the bright.
    iirc David Cameron lamented that since his time, Eton had turned into an academic hothouse rather than admitting a representative sample of thick aristos and farmers' sons.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

kle4 said:

Private school followed by top state sixth form college then Oxbridge or the Ivy League is a common route for the most pushy parents now
  • Options

kle4 said:

It’s a while back now but my grammar school did nothing to help me in the interview process for Cambridge. I strongly suspect that private school candidates had had interview training and practice. Could have made all the difference.
    Yeah my comprehensive didn't help me at all. I read a PG Wodehouse novel the night before the interview, in the hope that it might help me penetrate the Oxbridge worldview. Something must have worked since I got in. They may have just been confused by my Scottish qualifications.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

iirc David Cameron lamented that since his time, Eton had turned into an academic hothouse rather than admitting a representative sample of thick aristos and farmers' sons.
    Interesting - my friend's school, IIRC, had a rather higher reputation academically and a rather less posh one socially (hardly difficult). Maybe they've approached each other?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

Making the beer "Vergina".
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Oh dear Everton
  • Options
    I really do feel sorry for Everton fans.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

The school I send my youngest to has an interesting take on this.

They have set up a bursary fund, so that 25% of their places will be 100% scholarship (based on parental income). They also are deliberately taking a structured intake - only x of the "could take their A levels at 11" types and mix of those who they see as potential.

This is in reaction to the effects they have seen in other schools of simply raising the prices and academic intake levels to roof - among other things, the peer pressure effects in a class completely composed of hyper achievers is apparently... interesting.
  • Options

kle4 said:

And if one of those A-levels is speaking foreign, said tutor might be posting on pb. History too, perhaps.
    There is, I am told, a school in South Kensington which offers 1-1 tuition in all subjects. If you have children with certain kinds of concentration issues, and have the money, apparently a god send.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

That's vicious, TSE.

Hating them is one thing but feeling sorry for them is really twisting the knife. :(
  • Options

Looks like the Hammers did you Reds a favour earlier.
  • Options

Why? They won’t feel sorry for you when the quadrilogy becomes the double, and the shit double at that...
  • Options

Nah. We enjoy it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

I rather liked my visit there. Some beautiful buildings and the waterfront museums are very good indeed. To me it has a feel of Naples about it.

Anyway, here are some photos from Greece. You can try and guess the place. My only clue is that it starts with an I.

• Options
    https://www.wahlrecht.de/news/2022/landtagswahl-nordrhein-westfalen-2022.html#prognosen-hochrechnungen

SPD-Green is still 1 seat short of a majority in projections although FDP could still drop out.
  • Options

That's vicious, TSE.

Hating them is one thing but feeling sorry for them is really twisting the knife. :(
    I've said before I don't want them to get relegated, I genuinely fear for them if they do.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Why? They won’t feel sorry for you when the quadrilogy becomes the double, and the shit double at that...
    They stood with LFC over Hillsborough, I know a few Evertonians, my club nearly went tits up a little over a decade ago, and I think if Everton get relegated it is financial armageddon for them, Moshiri may lose interest and that's Everton fecked.

Two trophies will be fine, it's been a great adventure this season.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,492
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

Greek. In Latin alpha "Vergina" Specifically, Greek-American origin brewed in Greek Thrace.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

I rather liked my visit there. Some beautiful buildings and the waterfront museums are very good indeed. To me it has a feel of Naples about it.

Anyway, here are some photos from Greece. You can try and guess the place. My only clue is that it starts with an I.

Ioannina
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Iraklion, the palace at Knossos?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,396
    I'm thinking this JM vs Lozza / LA MP and the tother one libel action is unlikely to happen.

Would be fun, though.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

They booed ABIDE WITH ME

Ioannina
    Specifically, Iç Kale
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

Greek. In Latin alpha "Vergina" Specifically, Greek-American origin brewed in Greek Thrace.
    Hmm. THirsty now. First bell has rung for the second dog, so off to get some nice white wine ...
  • Options
    Scouse news: Paul McCartney will be 80 when he headlines Glastonbury.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Looking in front of me

Chin chin

Macedonia? Georgia?

I said it was Vergina upthread!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Good idea. They could make the SPL more competitive.
    You do know that Scotland is also part of the UK, right? I mean, there's "hating the UK", and then there is having no idea of basic political geography.
    Ha, fair point. I got momentarily excited by the idea of a third competitive team in the SPL.
    But to the people booing 'Abide with me' I don't think making sense is too far up the agenda.
    Yeah I don't really get booing. It's like the England fans who boo other people's national anthems. Maybe they just don't like hymns?
    (An organist writes:)

It's a dirge of a tune to be fair. Lovely words, but it's one of those tunes where you can tell where it's going about five bars in advance. There are better 10 10 10 10 hymn tunes.

But then funeral hymn tunes are a thing in their own. At our church the regular congregation always sings Love Divine to 'Blaenwern', but funerals always want it to the Stainer tune.

A couple of weeks ago we had The Lord's My Shepherd at a funeral - another perennial. Except the halfwit at the funeral directors decided to copy and paste the words from the Howard Goodall Vicar of Dibley arrangement. Which I only realised halfway through the first verse to 'Crimond'... whoops.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    2nd red for Everton
This discussion has been closed.