Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Korma chameleon, you come and go – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• On topic, IF Starmer goes and Rayner is in the same boat/curry club, then (since apparently being a woman is the only criteria) the options surely are:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

That order is my preference, though I suspect Nandy would win as she's norvern, innit?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,250
    I always suspected this was the case

"Scientists Say There’s an ‘Anti-Universe’ Running Backward in Time

"Could it be that a newly discovered “anti-universe” might run parallel to our own universe? If so, it would essentially spread out “backward” in time, prior to the Big Bang, in the same way our universe progressed “forward” in time."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a39745160/anti-universe-running-backward-in-time/
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,097

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

. A Starmer FPN and he goes. Replace with Andy Burnham

Under NO circumstances:

He failed massively to win last time. Why? Because he is no bloody good.

He's not even an MP. Duh.

He will put off all the new Labour voters down sarf. And we still need them.

He has a penis.

So in the words of Maggie, 'No. No. No.'
    What the fuck difference does it make that "he has a penis"? Are you high?
    Says a man. And a tory man at that.

It makes 'the fuck difference' because Labour MUST choose a woman as next leader.

End of.

And I'm a Labour supporter. You're not. So piss off.

xx
    . Your a Minsk troll using a VPN.
    At least if you are going to accuse me of being a troll pay attention to your grammar. It's something they teach us diligently in Moscow.

I'm beginning to think that some tories like yourself on here are not merely mendacious but incredibly incredibly thick pieces of gammon. The pertubation that use of a VPN generates is most amusing.

A VPN = trolling. Er, right ho. I don't know any youngster who streams who doesn't use a VPN and anyone with half a brain who is concerned about tracking should use one.

Geddit? No I didn't think so.
    A Minsk troll who knows Woking well enough to be able to come up,with an excellent tip on the Lib Dem chances of taking the council.

This is one of those cases where if you think the account is an op, you should pretend not to notice to encourage the team behind it to do more work like this. Another one is Naomi Wu.
    The fuck?

Really this is just so stupid. I'm a real person who lives in Hook Heath, hence my name. I'll even meet up with tlg86 who lives here if you like.

But why should I take any notice of someone who lives in Tokyo?

I use a VPN. Get fucking over it. Everyone imho should use a VPN. Seriously, anyone accusing me of this just reveals that they were born before 1980.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

It makes 'the fuck difference' because Labour MUST choose a woman as next leader.

End of.

xx
    At least if you are going to accuse me of being a troll pay attention to your grammar. It's something they teach us diligently in Moscow.

I'm beginning to think that some tories like yourself on here are not merely mendacious but incredibly incredibly thick pieces of gammon. The pertubation that use of a VPN generates is most amusing.

A VPN = trolling. Er, right ho. I don't know any youngster who streams who doesn't use a VPN and anyone with half a brain who is concerned about tracking should use one.

Appreciate that you might be on your walk but can I ask, from a position of genuine ignorance, why people should be concerned about tracking? I linked to an article yesterday about the explosion of downloads of VPNs in Russia yesterday and I can of course immediately see the necessity there but what risk or risks is Joe public taking not using a VPN? What can someone who can identify your location from your ISP actually do?
    It shows an ignorance of the technology, especially since he keeps referring to cookies.

Cookies are little files that track you, but it's up to you if you want them to be on your PC or not. Hence the annoying boxes popping up all the time post GDPR.

Even pre GDPR it was very easy to not have tracking cookies on your machine if you wanted to. Clearing your cookies, or disabling them, has been an option within browsers for an extremely long time. I messed with my browsers cookie settings while I was at university nearly two decades ago.

Oh and if you use your browsers Incognito Mode then it won't store any cookies either. Without the need of a compromised VPN with a blacklisted IP address.
    There is no reason, as well, to use a fixed IP for the VPN “exit” - unless you are tuning webservices from the same machine.

In which case, you are using a server as your desktop machine (or the reverse). And using it to post on the inter webs.

From the security point of view that is very, very bad.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,002

PB Tories still being oddly quiet on the May 2020 Downing Street drinks which the Met chose not to investigate.

Almost like doing so would admit their hypocrisy over Starmer.

If Starmer does get a fine, the Met will have to investigate that and Durham will have to fine Cummings.

The event you refer to was an outside event

Durham was inside and different rules apply
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

On topic, IF Starmer goes and Rayner is in the same boat/curry club, then (since apparently being a woman is the only criteria) the options surely are:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

That order is my preference, though I suspect Nandy would win as she's norvern, innit?

Nandy wouldn't win, she is a complete lightweight and she didn't do that well in 2020 either, even Long Bailey beat her with Labour members let alone Starmer.

I would add Streeting to Reeves and Cooper though I think Boris and Starmer stay until the next general election
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

A Minsk troll who knows Woking well enough to be able to come up,with an excellent tip on the Lib Dem chances of taking the council.

Thank you. It's beyond absurd.

Even pointed tlg86 to check out the gorgeous wisteria out at the moment on the club house (Woking GC) and asked him about the two fake swans on the lake.

I mean ... really and truly ... this is beyond silly by now.

I ain't a troll. Sorry to disappoint.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Truly amazing how stupid our politicians are.

When I saw all the partying at No 10 ... I thought, 'How stupid these people are? Did they really think they could get away with it'.

Now I see the party at Durham ... I think, 'How stupid these people are? Did they really think they could get away with it'.

No wonder the UK is such a mess, it really is run by stupid and stupider.

(Is Ed Davey really is to dull to be embroiled in a LibDem Tofu-gate. That must surely be next.)

Whatever happens now it is worth reminding ourselves that politics rarely runs in a straight line for any length of time and certainties about future election results are way off the line. The only time you can truly tell when politicians are telling fibs is when they open their mouths.
    TBF, it must be almost impossible for a politician to run their lives perfectly when trying to run a top job. The amount of undeserved ordure they get dumped on them by opponents (and not just those in another party) is amazing.

Remember the controversy of Boris' bike ride during lockdown? How dare he?

On the previous thread, someone expressed that Starmer was running the campaign for a really important by-election. Well, Boris was trying to run the country through a pandemic. The stress on everyone involved must have been immense.

We want politicians to be 'like' us. Yet we also want them to be perfect in all ways. Sadly, I am not perfect. No-one reading this is perfect. If we were put under the same minute critical examination that Johnson, Starmer or any top politician has been, then we would have stories about us.

Very few people are angels. And they might not have the skills needed to run a country.
    There's a lot to nail Boris for. But, "partygate" is small beer. It ought to be small beer for Starmer, but then, he's made so much of the issue.
    It’s not small beer to those who had to struggle with the regulations, like not visiting dying relatives for example. Those that make the law should follow the law. If it was a bad law, that is the fault of the law maker.
    Well, the same applies to Starmer, doesn't it? Why were people getting pi**ed at a do whilst others could not visit dying relatives? That's not small beer to those who had to struggle with the regulations.

Starmer voted for the law. Did he say it was a bad law when he voted for it (I assume not, but someone'll have more info.)

Starmer and Labour have been caught by their own witch hunt. It is pure incompetence on their part not to realise the trap they had laid for themselves.
    Personally I think it’s less serious than a PM disobeying his own law, but as LoO Starmer also has some responsibility here. It doesn’t rally matter in any case politically after Starmer called for the PM to resign.

If Starmer is fined, the wise move politically might be to resign. If Starmer isn’t fined, some people will owe him an apology. Either way Boris should go. His offence is proven and as PM it is the most serious.
    Starmer is a law maker too. If he'd been opposing the restrictions then it would be less serious but he actually was opposing the relaxation of the restrictions after his own party. Hypocrite.

Plus he's every bit as guilty or more as Boris is. After calling for him to go. Hypocrite.

Plus he's outright lied about the events saying he was eating between work, when his own memo says the party was at the end of the day. Liar.

I've said since last year Boris should go, but Starmer is every bit as bad if not worse for the sheer hypocrisy too.
    Starmer has to go, but your hyperbole is ludicrous.

If this work event crossed the line and rules were breached which may be the case, so be it, but for you to then assert it is worse than multiple events attended, and or arranged by Johnson, who also lied to Parliament it has to be said, is absurd.

Why does Starmer have to go but Johnson can stay? Starmer set the bar to judge Johnson. Starmer being compromised by this incident neutralises any attack he can make on Johnson when more fines and the Gray Report are released. And of course the killer, rules don't apply to Boris Johnson.
    The reason it's worse is because Starmer has himself set the threshold after the fact, while being in breach of his own threshold. Boris didn't do that.

Johnson can rightly or wrongly say he didn't think that what happened was wrong at the time and he didn't intend for people having cake at work etc to be illegal, but he's paid the FPN and accepted he made a mistake. Put his hands up.

Starmer can't do that as he's already set the threshold as to this being a resigning offence. He set a trap for the PM and jumped straight into it. How can Starmer accept he's made a mistake when he's said that it must be a resigning offence already?
    You are as usual writing absolute and utter nonsense.

I have agreed with you Starmer set the bar by which a breach of Covid rules is measured, and as such he must go having been busted.

But worse than the man who wrote the rules, lied to Parliament and attended events which according to the already released bits of the Gray
    Report could number around eight.

You have Starmer, by the nuts, Johnson has his scalp, BigDog is saved and his foe vanquished. So why would you mislead the board by claiming Starmer's charge means multiple charges against Johnson are now trivial?
    I never said Johnson's events are trivial, I said he should resign over them. I stand by that.

But Starmer is worse because he set the threshold of this being a resigning offence AFTER the facts came out. Boris didn't.

So Starmer has clearly surpassed his own resignation threshold he gave to Parliament. Was he lying to Parliament when he said that those investigated by the Police should resign? After the facts came out.

Boris can (wrongly in my view) grasp at the straw of saying "I made a mistake, I'm sorry, I didn't think this was against the rules. I'm sorry for what happened and lessons will be learnt."

Starmer has no straws to clutch at as he went in with a two footed studs first challenge over what Boris did.
    Lying to parliament was the resigning matter.

In any event If Starmer is guilty then every film crew shooting at that time including TV outside broadcasts will also have to be priosecuted because when on location you are obliged to supply dinner for the crew by 9.00 pm (or if later then you pay for an extra day and you are still obliged to supply dinner).

I notice the Times 'scoop' have actually printed a copy of their 'call sheet' which specifies (among other things) all meal times. This will be so familiar to all TV companies working on location I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. Unless I've missed something I don't see the story?
    Of course you don't

I am shocked
    I'm shocked too that they could feed 30 people for £200! Add dinks fruit and Vegetarian options and it becomes positively parsimonious. But as you are sure he's guilty how about taking the bet that MrEd refused (after guaranteeing he will be found guilty). £100 evens that he doesn't get an FPN?
    Roger , they run a mile when you call them out on their obvious bollox. Lots of windbaggery but all a front.
    Amazing isn't it. MrEd comes onto a betting site says he's got an absolute certainty I offer him £100 at evens and he runs a mile. Maybe he's just gone to ask his Dad if he can lend him the money?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

And hope you are staying well @malcolmg

On top form Horsey, hope you are too.
    @CorrectHorseBattery
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    Leon said:

"Could it be that a newly discovered “anti-universe” might run parallel to our own universe? If so, it would essentially spread out “backward” in time, prior to the Big Bang, in the same way our universe progressed “forward” in time."

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a39745160/anti-universe-running-backward-in-time/

With a Noel posting on the local equivalent of PB ...
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

This is one of those cases where if you think the account is an op, you should pretend not to notice to encourage the team behind it to do more work like this. Another one is Naomi Wu.
    The fuck?

Really this is just so stupid. I'm a real person who lives in Hook Heath, hence my name. I'll even meet up with tlg86 who lives here if you like.

I use a VPN. Get fucking over it. Everyone imho should use a VPN. Seriously, anyone accusing me of this just reveals that they were born before 1980.
    I said if you think that, I didn't say I think that.

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Doxxing is not fine. So we should stop it. Calling someone "a twat" IS fine, clearly, otherwise 90% of my commentary is forbidden

As for @Heathener I agree with @NickPalmer. I used to think she was a troll, but I don't any more. If she is a Russian troll, she's not very good, she barely mentions anything-to-do-with Russia from one week to the next. She seems to be what she says she is, an opinionated Labour supporting woman with a fondness for Buddhism, she might be eccentric, but we are all eccentric - we're on here, for a start

Peace!

There is no way that Heathener is not a native English speaker so the accusations of being Russian are just puerile.
    Yes one of the dumbest things here.

And brought up by the same people, it does come across like bullying.

Heathener is always incredibly polite, I still don’t know what she has done to deserve this. She uses a VPN, get over it
    I have to admit I am finding it difficult to be polite when I'm accused of being a troll. It's incredibly insulting tbh.

So, yes, it does get under my skin. Which I guess they know and it's why they do it. Nice people.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    HYUFD said:

On topic, IF Starmer goes and Rayner is in the same boat/curry club, then (since apparently being a woman is the only criteria) the options surely are:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

Nandy wouldn't win, she is a complete lightweight and she didn't do that well in 2020 either, even Long Bailey beat her with Labour members let alone Starmer.

I would add Streeting to Reeves and Cooper though I think Boris and Starmer stay until the next general election
    And after the GE it will be Streeting who leads LAB and he will probably lead them back to government in 2028/2029.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Leon said:

Does this mean that they only have 3 more years of Boris as PM and we are still at risk of another 6? Lucky sods.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

I thought the Mail excelled itself yesterday on its non-coverage of the local elections. It's poor readership are being force fed a thin gruel of "aren't Labour terrible", "aren't Harry and Meghan terrible" and " we don't care about anyone who isn't a Leave-voting suburban or rural Conservative".

Apparently, the losses in Wandsworth, Barnet and Westminster weren't down to our blessed Prime Minister, oh no, but because these areas are full of "woke, metropolitan elite Remainers" so that's half the country written off it would seem.

Grudging acknowledgement of LD successes in the so-called "Blue Wall" was explained away by "they'll all come back to the Tories when it's a proper real election". Fine, try telling all those poor local Conservative Councillors who got swept away on Thursday they laid down their lives in vain to support the Prime Minister.

As someone who genuinely believes in freedom of speech and plural democracy it saddens me newspapers, tv channels and the like find the concept of having contrary opinions at the same time so difficult. I'm happy to credit the Government with, for example, excellent decision-making on vaccine procurement. We were in the vanguard (along with Israel) on getting vaccinations into the population and unquestionably many lives were saved.

I'll also credit the Government's robust approach on Ukraine - we have led the western diplomatic response to unacceptable Russian aggression.

Yet, both those being said, is it wrong to question the Government's policy on care home patients during the pandemic or test-and-trace or the bureaucratic response to Ukrainian refugee applications? I'd argue not - the inability of some to see beyond the black and white into the shades of grey which are in fact normality is the worst of all.

It's far too easy to abandon objectivity and retreat into echo chambers where the only voices re-enforce your own opinions, prejudices or misconceptions. It's also far too easy to adopt broad-brush responses and argue the Government has done everything right on the pandemic or the Ukraine or the economy or anything else. The truth is far more nuanced - the Government has done some things well and some things not so well. Part of scrutiny and accountability to which all Governments should be held is to recognise areas of failing and ask searching questions while of course acknowledging those areas which have been successful.

Yet to even do that basic democratic tenet is to invite vitriol and abuse from the loyalists - it's not wrong to ask questions, it's not wrong to point out failings, it's not wrong to hold any Government to account. That's the fundamental difference between democracy and dictatorship.

"they'll all come back to the Tories when it's a proper real election"

I hate complacency in politics no matter which side is dumb enough to go there (and this blog recently it’s normally the Labour supporters ignoring how hard it could be on GE night to remove Boris majority and retake the red wall).

But you have hit nail on the head Stodge. big take out from real votes last week The sheer extent the blue wall melted is not anything I have seen in my lifetime and likely historic and significant. " we don't care about anyone who isn't a Leave-voting suburban or rural Conservative" Is such a great call by you Stodge because it is a dumb ass business model to be on the side that is shrinking and losing.

Let’s all agree something, especially the Brexit supporters, the get Brexit done supporters. Brexit is alive and well in deciding who to vote for. It’s not gone away, it’s not done out microwave and eaten washed up put away what’s on Netflix, when voters to this degree are telling you it isn’t. And they definitely are. Leave remain was so alive in these English Locals 2022 so as to be a wet fish slapping your face, you have zero credibility to ignore it.

From my posts on the night, I completely changed my view by Friday afternoon on how dreadful locals for Labour And crumbs of comfort for Boris I first thought I was witnessing. personally I am convinced these all over the road results hide enough of a sea change. If red wall was so terrible for Labour why did the Tories in most red wall, like Sunderland look so glum and call Boris to go, whilst Labour were chairing themselves around the room. Both sides definitely got something different on the doorsteps and in votes than they have had for a while.

It’s a question of how long does it take to unwind a landslide Brexit majority while Brexit becomes less popular and those nailed to it sink into caca. History, as a Mike header more than once told us, is rare sweeping away Landslide majortitties in one go.

We obsess about the next election, where Tories may actually still be in with a chance if unwind in Leaveastan is slow. I propose, if Brexit voting doesn’t go away, perhaps it could be elections after that will be Tories real problem? Will their brexit problems at ballot box start to become lethal after winning next election? For how long will they be hated in Remainia for Brexit? Will they lose even more leave voters over time too? Being the Party of Brexit, Is it a case of scrape in next time, then out for two decades? Three decades? For ever and ever?

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

Point of order, when it comes to factional contests, the order of the candidates is less important than the order of the factions. If you reran 2020 just removing Starmer, Nandy would pick up a huge number of the Starmer votes and leapfrog RLB. Easily.

He also argued that the event was analagous to the Downing Street gathering where Johnson and his staff were photographed drinking wine and eating cheese in the No 10 garden where they were said to be discussing work matters. That event was not investigated by the Metropolitan police, Wagner pointed out.

This will be political if the Met now doesn’t reopen Johnson’s one

The difference as has been pointed out the Downing Street gathering was outside, Durham was inside and different rules applied
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

Given Lisa Nandy warned Starmer to move off Partygate she must be spitting blood at getting sent out to defend the indefensible this morning.

I do feel the Cost of Living Crisis is going to be the only game in Town going forward. Whichever Party can mitigate that best in the voters views will do very well.

Agreed. I learnt two things from Susanna Reid's interview with Johnson last week. Eroding benefits through inflation is actual government policy. Tipping many people struggling to get by into outright poverty.

Secondly, Johnson has given no real thought to Cost of Living, the biggest issue facing the country right now. If he had he would go into the interview with a list of things his government are doing to mitigate the crisis. He had nothing to say on the topic.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Given that your party can't define what a woman is it's all a bit academic isn't it?
    Non sequitur.

We need our next leader to be a woman. Whether that's someone who is a trans woman is another issue but I doubt the red wall thickos like Fucker Faroq would cope with it.

Next Labour leader must be a woman. End of.

Must be hard to keep track of your lines to take today, Vlad.
    Yeah right Phillip Thompson.

See? Two can play the game.

The next Labour leader must and will be a woman. Sorry that this is causing such confusion for the right wing gammons.

Have a nice day folks.

Off out to walk around Hook Heath. I guess I could meet up with tlg86 some time and then that really will make you 'you're a troll' tories look even more stupid and dumbass than you already are (if that's poss.)
    @PBModerator has said it's against the rules to doxx people.
    Hoist with your own petard situation I'd have thought if you want to call vlad
    Only if he genuinely is Vlad though.

One is a joke, a turn of phrase, the other is doxxing with full name.
    Oh how we laughed and why should they be a "he"
    Malcolm, do you think Alba still have a future after these elections? Not a single councillor in the whole of Scotland and some truly embarrassing figures in individual constituencies. It seems as if the SNP have drilled loyalty into their membership too well for a break off to thrive.
    I think they're doomed.
    And the election results are not much to do with the membership, but more the voters. Most voters aren't members, and the voters took one look at Alba and went "nah mate". It's over for Salmond. Not with a bang but with a whimper.
    There isn't room for three Nationalist parties. The SNP try to be all things to all people, the Greens add the environmental angle, Alba seem to be the "Alex was framed". party.

Why would you vote for them knowing you are splitting the nationalist cause and likely letting in a unionist? If they stood for something that the others had missed then fine. They don't - it's a personality cult.

Had the trot left scabbed off to found the Peace and Justice Party with Jezbollah we would likely have seen similar. As with The Independent Group for Flouncing, parties need to stand for something other than "MeMeMeMeMeMe"
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624
    malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Craziness is not retrocted to Russia. This is what Trumps former Defence Secretary has been saying:

"Former President Donald J. Trump asked Mark T. Esper, his defense secretary, about the possibility of launching missiles into Mexico to “destroy the drug labs” and wipe out the cartels, maintaining that the United States’ involvement in a strike against its southern neighbor could be kept secret"

"When Mr. Esper raised various objections, Mr. Trump said that “we could just shoot some Patriot missiles and take out the labs, quietly,” adding that “no one would know it was us.” Mr. Trump said he would just say that the United States had not conducted the strike, Mr. Esper recounts, writing that he would have thought it was a joke had he not been staring Mr. Trump in the face."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/us/politics/mark-esper-book-trump.html

Er, is that such a bad idea?
    Given past examples , what chance they would get right targets.
    Destroying drug labs has been a DEA policy for many, many years. Usually by giving intelligence and equipment to local police/military.

The reason this doesn’t end the drug trade is that the drug trade works on percentages. Enough labs survive, that enough drugs are exported to keep things going. At each stage on the way to the user, some are lost/captured/stolen. But enough gets through.

Trump is, of course, a moron.
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Given that your party can't define what a woman is it's all a bit academic isn't it?
    Non sequitur.

We need our next leader to be a woman. Whether that's someone who is a trans woman is another issue but I doubt the red wall thickos like Fucker Faroq would cope with it.

The next Labour leader must and will be a woman. Sorry that this is causing such confusion for the right wing gammons.

Have a nice day folks.

Off out to walk around Hook Heath. I guess I could meet up with tlg86 some time and then that really will make you 'you're a troll' tories look even more stupid and dumbass than you already are (if that's poss.)

Malcolm, do you think Alba still have a future after these elections? Not a single councillor in the whole of Scotland and some truly embarrassing figures in individual constituencies. It seems as if the SNP have drilled loyalty into their membership too well for a break off to thrive.
    Looks a forlorn hope David. Looks like it will need to be Labour that cleanse the SNP ( the sheeple seem to forgive every useless policy , disaster , etc). If only they had a backbone and some independent thinking rather than just London clones. At some point someone with brains will get them out of just being patsies taking orders. They need to swing at least some way to independence , full fiscal autonomy or they will get nowhere.
    SNP are useless till Sturgeon and her clique of crooks, rogues and self ider's are history. She must fall soon , no-one can keep all that manure hidden forever. Meanwhile Scotland burns, gets ever more like a basket case that deserves to be just a colony.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

With a Noel posting on the local equivalent of PB ...
    Advanced cosmology now closely resembles medieval theology, with its lists of demons and angels in their hierarchies. A detailed, fanciful, earnest discussion of the quintessentially supernatural and unknowable

In the last few years they've veered between one universe doomed to heat death to multiple universes and we're just one to an anti-universe running backwards in time. As for Dark Matter that seems about as legitimate a theory as the Doctrine of Purgatory, something invented to fill a very awkward gap (what happens to slightly sinful people?)

Entertaining, but bonkers
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

Point of order, when it comes to factional contests, the order of the candidates is less important than the order of the factions. If you reran 2020 just removing Starmer, Nandy would pick up a huge number of the Starmer votes and leapfrog RLB. Easily.
    RLB won't stand, Reeves, Cooper or Streeting would easily defeat Nandy and pick up most Starmer votes, Burnham would pick up more northern votes if and when he returns to the Commons.

I actually think Sunak shouldn’t have been fined. Seems very harsh and I think his team should have appealed that.

Why? The birthday party was illegal. Its an absolute offence, so everyone there got fined. Its the same with currygate. It's either legal or it isn't.
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

The fuck?

And @CorrectHorseBattery says you are incredibly polite !!!!!!!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Also if we wish to attack credibility.

The Mail initially said it was 30 people because of a "source".

It's now 15 people, so they lied.

Starmer has admitted 30 people were there and an independent Durham councillor who lost his mother made the formal complaint to the Durham Police that has led to the police to reopen the case

Two students who were present and took a video want to speak to the police and there is an indication this is being instigated by disaffected left labourites who have not accepted Starmer's move to the centre

Indeed Dianne Abbott last night said that Starmer would have to review his position if he receives a FPN

This is very serious for Starmer, Rayner and the MP Mary Foy and the truth will come out in the next couple of months once the detectives have reviewed the questionnaires which are being sent to all the attendees

And if Durham Police do decide all was OK the 'usual suspects' will be demanding an inquiry into them!
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.
    And the election results are not much to do with the membership, but more the voters. Most voters aren't members, and the voters took one look at Alba and went "nah mate". It's over for Salmond. Not with a bang but with a whimper.
    That was very much my view but @malcolmg has been a strong supporter and I wondered if he could give us any insight from the inside. Guilty or not guilty the hatchet job done on Salmond has worked a treat for Nicola.
  • There is no distinction on outside vs inside.

That is not what the case is about, there was an exemption on campaigning and that is what Starmer is arguing.

There was no such exception in MAY 2020 (a year before Starmer). The Met chose not to investigate, not because it was outdoors.

Doesn't stop the PB Tories/Daily Mail fandom saying so over and over. They're the ones who have been shilling this for weeks.

No comment on Cummings, I wonder why
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,763

Heathener said:

At that stage, the leadership contest becomes one between Lisa Nandy, Bridget Phillipson and Wes Streeting. Given the current membership profile, I suspect that it would be one of the latter two who would win.

Wtf?!

Once again your certainties have over-ridden your knowledge. You haven't even mentioned the most likely successor: the stand-out performer in parliament. Even the bookies have her as favourite once you discount Andy Burnham (who isn't even an MP).

There are several other potentials successors should the event arise.

As a Labour party member I speak with some knowledge of the way in which it operates and what its membership thinks. If you are referring to Yvette Cooper, she is certainly a possibility, though I suspect she would struggle on transfers (and may not even stand).

Does she actually want it?

She didn’t seem that hungry for the job last time she ran
    Heathener said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Doxxing is not fine. So we should stop it. Calling someone "a twat" IS fine, clearly, otherwise 90% of my commentary is forbidden

As for @Heathener I agree with @NickPalmer. I used to think she was a troll, but I don't any more. If she is a Russian troll, she's not very good, she barely mentions anything-to-do-with Russia from one week to the next. She seems to be what she says she is, an opinionated Labour supporting woman with a fondness for Buddhism, she might be eccentric, but we are all eccentric - we're on here, for a start

Peace!

There is no way that Heathener is not a native English speaker so the accusations of being Russian are just puerile.

Heathener is always incredibly polite, I still don’t know what she has done to deserve this. She uses a VPN, get over it
    I have to admit I am finding it difficult to be polite when I'm accused of being a troll. It's incredibly insulting tbh.

So, yes, it does get u.nder my skin. Which I guess they know and it's why they do it. Nice people.
    I disagree with you on most things, but you are quite justified in your irritation. People should stop calling you a troll given that there is vanishingly meagre evidence for it. I believe the original accusation was made by @rcs1000 because you have a suspicious IP address?

There has been no such evidence since. We should take you at face value

Given Lisa Nandy warned Starmer to move off Partygate she must be spitting blood at getting sent out to defend the indefensible this morning.

I do feel the Cost of Living Crisis is going to be the only game in Town going forward. Whichever Party can mitigate that best in the voters views will do very well.

I don't think any party can mitigate it. So we're back to simple principles - do they care? The Tories don't care, so opposition parties only need to show they get people's issues and will *try* to mitigate.

Quite simply both big parties can no longer maintain their voter base coalitions. Tories can't keep both the red wall and the sarf. Labour can't win the red wall and keep the cities.

I hope the ensuing chaos will let all sides move towards a voting system that lets people get who they want and provokes coalitions and thus sensible politics.
  • Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

The fuck?

Heatherner is clearly fed up with being accused of being a a troll, politeness doesn't come into it. The impolite people are those that keep bullying her.

As usual one user takes their side because they agree with their political views, PB Moderator V2 you could call them, well if only they actually were a moderator.
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Voters, David, voters. You're an advocate, you're precise.
    Too true Carnyx, they lost so many members they now hide the numbers. Even the missing £600K did not make the sheeple question them.
  • @PBModerator I would like you to pass judgment, I think the responses to @Heathener have turned into out and out bullying and targeting.
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

JACK_W said:

The Leaders -

SKS - There is some wiggle room for SKS as he was previously cleared by Durham police and should await the result of the new investigation. A Starmer FPN and he goes. Replace with Andy Burnham

BOZO - The man has no shame, honour or integrity. He should have been turfed out weeks ago. Odious man. Replace with Jeremy Hunt.

ED - A man so boring and devoid of charisma that he makes John Major interesting. Replace with Daisy Cooper.

Davey made the biggest gains on Thursday (and of course Major did win in 1992).

The Tory membership won't vote for Hunt, see the 2019 leadership election.

Burnham would do better than Starmer in the redwall but Streeting might also be good and looks presentable, however I don't think any of the 3 will be going before the next general election.

"The Tory membership won't vote for Hunt, see the 2019 leadership election."

You seem very confident of this but a lot has changed since then and Hunt did pretty well against expectations in 2019.
    Hunt lost because he was broadly the continuity candidate in a change election - he was deemed inappropriate for the occasion by the Tory selectorate; he wasn't rejected for being loathsome to them. He had some personal qualities May lacked (more collegiate, less of a bunker-dweller) but was essentially a slightly dull Remain supporter hoping (rather unrealistically) to get a Brexit deal through on the basis of a bit of a new-PM honeymoon.

Conservatives went for Johnson as he was a Brexit supporter promising to drive it through which, in fairness, he did (albeit with major flaws in the deal). He was (and is) also a charismatic figure who made many Tories feel good about themselves - although that's very much waned.

The next Conservative leadership election won't be Johnson v Hunt, and won't be primarily Brexit-based. As such - whilst Hunt has some important flaws - he has a case. He's stayed clear of government incompetence and sleaze since 2019, is capable and presentable... and he only needs to beat the opponent MPs select for him.
    Wallace and Truss and Zahawi, the likeliest replacements for Boris would all beat Hunt, probably even Raab and Rees Mogg would beat him with Tory members too.

The only opponents he might beat are Sunak post fine and budget and Patel
    Another 3 absolute crooked donkeys who are all part of the current useless bunch.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

@Roger it's 15 people now, the Mail lied and then quietly changed the story.

Is that what constitutes a party in Durham? Any reports of dancing DJs stripograms drugs?

There is no distinction on outside vs inside.

That is not what the case is about, there was an exemption on campaigning and that is what Starmer is arguing.

There was no such exception in MAY 2020 (a year before Starmer). The Met chose not to investigate, not because it was outdoors.

Doesn't stop the PB Tories/Daily Mail fandom saying so over and over. They're the ones who have been shilling this for weeks.

No comment on Cummings, I wonder why

The Met chose not to investigate, not because it was outdoors.

Your link for that observation ?
  • Roger said:

@Roger it's 15 people now, the Mail lied and then quietly changed the story.

Is that what constitutes a party in Durham? Any reports of dancing DJs stripograms drugs?
    Not as of yet, I am sure you can be an anonymous source to the Mail if you wish
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Looks a forlorn hope David. Looks like it will need to be Labour that cleanse the SNP ( the sheeple seem to forgive every useless policy , disaster , etc). If only they had a backbone and some independent thinking rather than just London clones. At some point someone with brains will get them out of just being patsies taking orders. They need to swing at least some way to independence , full fiscal autonomy or they will get nowhere.
    SNP are useless till Sturgeon and her clique of crooks, rogues and self ider's are history. She must fall soon , no-one can keep all that manure hidden forever. Meanwhile Scotland burns, gets ever more like a basket case that deserves to be just a colony.
    It will be interesting to see if they can hold it together once Nicola goes. She has driven out any independent (hah) thought and surrounded herself with yes people but I don't see anyone with that skill of manipulation in her potential successors.
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Surely if you are a nationalist and dislike Sturgeon you already have a successful party to vote for - the Scottish Greens. I'm not a nat but recognise the clear electoral mandate last year for a 2nd referendum. Dodgy Alex and his cult weren't needed to deliver that, so why care that they have largely died out?
  • CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited May 2022
    A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said “those people were at work talking about work”.

The rules:
    Legal restrictions at the time said you could not leave your house without a reasonable excuse and government guidance was that you could meet one person outside of your household in an outdoor setting while exercising.
    This event is not being investigated by the police.

There was no exemption for being outdoors. End of story.
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.
    I am amazed he hasn't just dished all the dirt he has and gone off for a quiet life.
    edited May 2022
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.
    That was very much my view but @malcolmg has been a strong supporter and I wondered if he could give us any insight from the inside. Guilty or not guilty the hatchet job done on Salmond has worked a treat for Nicola.
    Yeah, I'd like to hear Malky's view on it too.
    It never ceases to strike me how effective Sturgeon is. I've said in the past that I admire her. A measure of her success is the way the Conservatives were over the moon with the 2017 results and now in 2022 Labour also very pleased at wresting 2nd place back off them. When your opponents are pleased with second, it says a lot.

Salmond is just the latest in a long line of politicians who've tried to take her down and ended up in a crumpled heap instead. Whether you like her or not, her electoral record is astonishing.

EDIT
    Too slow, Malky's thoughts now apparent.
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Peace!

So, yes, it does get u.nder my skin. Which I guess they know and it's why they do it. Nice people.
    I disagree with you on most things, but you are quite justified in your irritation. People should stop calling you a troll given that there is vanishingly meagre evidence for it. I believe the original accusation was made by @rcs1000 because you have a suspicious IP address?

I agree @Heathener is not a troll and is interesting but at times loses it
  • The same people do it to MrEd too.

These people are cowards and bullies - I am really disappointed PB Moderator has not stepped in.

A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said “those people were at work talking about work”.

The rules:
    Legal restrictions at the time said you could not leave your house without a reasonable excuse and government guidance was that you could meet one person outside of your household in an outdoor setting while exercising.

What do the rules in May 2020 have to do with this campaign event in April 2021? The legal restrictions had changed several times in those 11 months.

Whether or not the May 20 event was legal because it was outdoors means nothing to whether or not the April 21 event was legal.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    Heathener said:

Right, I'm now covered on Rachel Reeves (100/1), Lisa Nandy (100/1) and Yvette Cooper (250/1). Small stakes, huge wins. But all of the 3 previous factors I mentioned need to come into play.

One thing I am certain of: the next Labour leader will be a woman and I think those are the three in the frame.

I was also convinced, until recently, that the next Labour leader would be female. However, it's just possible that, if members took the view that having the first openly gay leader gave them some bragging rights, then Streeting is in with a shout.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184

DavidL said:

Getting pissed on £200 which also paid for food, £13 per person.

Starmer must be a major, major lightweight.

Do you really think he drank? Or wandered around with an open bottle of beer, man of the people style, having awkward and strained "social chit chat" with people showing how much he cared?
    I think he had a beer with his curry, ate his curry and then produced a Tweet on his Twitter account at 10:13 like I showed earlier.

I just can’t imagine Starmer being a party guy. He strikes me as the kind of guy that reminds the teacher to give homework out
    I half suspect Starmer drunk is almost exactly as stilted and cardboard as Starmer sober.
    Maybe there's a trigger point somewhere. I have a friend who is similarly wooden and mild and inoffensive who once - once - on a lads' drinking holiday unexpectedly flipped, and became loud and incredibly abusive to blameless holiday reps and waiters, before downing a last pint in under 10 seconds, vomiting expansively on the table and being escorted back to the apartment, assuring us all the while that we were his best friends and laughing raucously. He was known as Sanria Man thereafter. I wonder if there is a Sangria Man hiding somewhere inside SKS.
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I was being precise (even in my time off) @Carnyx. I was interested in what the actual membership of the breakaway thought. Many were SNP activists for decades. Have they given up hope?
    edited May 2022

The rules:

Maybe you need to make a formal complaint to the MET police as that is exactly what the independent Durham councillor who lost his mother to covid did and prompted this new investigation
  • A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said “those people were at work talking about work”.

The rules:

What do the rules in May 2020 have to do with this campaign event in April 2021? The legal restrictions had changed several times in those 11 months.

Whether or not the May 20 event was legal because it was outdoors means nothing to whether or not the April 21 event was legal.
    The point is that the PB Big Brains Tory trust are drawing equivalences.

If Starmer gets fined, they should investigate May 2020 because the rules there clearly weren't followed either.

If they don't investigate, it seems political to me, how else can it be justified?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

Even pointed tlg86 to check out the gorgeous wisteria out at the moment on the club house (Woking GC) and asked him about the two fake swans on the lake.

No but you are a woman and that emboldens some PB posters to be more aggressive towards you. Sadly.

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Peace!

I agree @Heathener is not a troll and is interesting but at times loses it
    Don't we all, Mr G! Don't we all!
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

RLB won't stand, Reeves, Cooper or Streeting would easily defeat Nandy and pick up most Starmer votes, Burnham would pick up more northern votes if and when he returns to the Commons.

For a Tory councillor, you have an astonishing insight into the minds of Labour members - impressive. But you're wrong on Nandy, who is both capable and popular within the party.
    edited May 2022

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Surely if you are a nationalist and dislike Sturgeon you already have a successful party to vote for - the Scottish Greens. I'm not a nat but recognise the clear electoral mandate last year for a 2nd referendum. Dodgy Alex and his cult weren't needed to deliver that, so why care that they have largely died out?
    The Scottish Greens are ridiculously Woke, especially on things like Trans - they are even Wokier than the SNP (which is going some)

I don't think @malcolmg is particularly Woke, so I see his dilemma. Alba promised to be the non-Woke Nats, but they've now evanesced
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    Heathener said:

Right, I'm now covered on Rachel Reeves (100/1), Lisa Nandy (100/1) and Yvette Cooper (250/1). Small stakes, huge wins. But all of the 3 previous factors I mentioned need to come into play.

One thing I am certain of: the next Labour leader will be a woman and I think those are the three in the frame.

Good luck but remember to count your losers as well as your winners. Combining the odds, it is around 40/1 that one of those three will win, which is still enough to pay for a bottle of lager with your lockdown Indian takeaway.
  • TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx

No but you are a woman and that emboldens some PB posters to be more aggressive towards you. Sadly.
    It is despicable.

The posters in question should apologise and the user in question who won't condemn it because they agree with the political views of those doing it, should gladly go and sit in a hole
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I was being precise (even in my time off) @Carnyx. I was interested in what the actual membership of the breakaway thought. Many were SNP activists for decades. Have they given up hope?
    It did read a bit as if you were talking about the voting figures. But yes, that is an equally important issue. I think Alba would need different leadership for a start.
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.
    David, Yes it is amazing what she has managed to get away with. The SNP at present are worse than the Tories in London. As per my other post I am surprised Salmond did not just put out the full story, though likely to be because he really does want independence and so hopes once she is toppled something real will be done on that topic. @DavidL @Farooq
  • https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1523253333737320450

Just because the PB Tories are still lying.

IT WAS 15 people.

This has been confirmed by the Times, please stop repeating the Mail lies.

The rules:

If Starmer gets fined, they should investigate May 2020 because the rules there clearly weren't followed either.

If they don't investigate, it seems political to me, how else can it be justified?
    Different police forces, of course!
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

The Scottish Greens are ridiculously Woke, especially on things like Trans - they are even Wokier than the SNP (which is going some)

I don't think @malcolmg is particularly Woke, so I see his dilemma. Alba promised to be the non-Woke Nats, but they've now evanesced
    That is indeed in part their USP[edit], ie Alba's - pro indy but more conservative than the current incarnation of the SNP.
  • A photo from May 2020 showed the prime minister and his staff with bottles of wine and a cheeseboard in the Downing Street garden. When asked about it, Boris Johnson said “those people were at work talking about work”.

The rules:

Different police forces, of course!
    Eh? Durham in both cases? Cummings?

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1523253333737320450

IT WAS 15 people.

Starmer himself has said there were 30 attending
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.
    It never ceases to strike me how effective Sturgeon is. I've said in the past that I admire her. A measure of her success is the way the Conservatives were over the moon with the 2017 results and now in 2022 Labour also very pleased at wresting 2nd place back off them. When your opponents are pleased with second, it says a lot.

Salmond is just the latest in a long line of politicians who've tried to take her down and ended up in a crumpled heap instead. Whether you like her or not, her electoral record is astonishing.

EDIT
    If only she ran the country with a tenth of the skill she has for party management. But alas!
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

We all take your perspective on Woke under advisement.

In the real world there are two established nationalist parties and there wasn't room for a third.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

That is indeed in part their USP - pro indy but more conservative than the current incarnation of the SNP.
    Yes, Salmond correctly identified a serious problem for the indy cause: it is at present only espoused by left wing Woke parties (or very left wing Woke parties). There must be a lot of centre-right or right wing Nats who only reluctantly offer support to Sturgeon, and things like the Trans debate are close to putting them off completely

The problem for Alba was Salmond himself. They should have found a better, untainted leader, with him in the background to add "oomph". He's good at adding "oomph". Too late now
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.

EDIT
    I think she has strong backing from London, we see lots of rubbish in print but I think she has an understanding that the boat only gets rocked so much. Can be no other reason why she has failed to do anything for so many years. Power crazy and is looking for a big job. Would be interesting to see what her superinjuctions are about as well and seems Swinney may also a naughty boy.
    They have managed to get rid of any thinking people and surrounded themselves with a bunch of grasping wasters. They will run out of cash though and unlike the other regional parties do not have London to bail them out.
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Perhaps Alba are trying to carve out a space that is too sparsely populated in voterdom. I really do think strong woke/antiwoke positions are generally confined to the politically highly active classes, and are fuelled by partisanship. I suspect most people are left fairly cold by the debate either way. It's a bubble thing.

No evidence for this, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

Labour performance, in terms of numbers of councillors:

Welsh Labour +14.3%
    Scottish Labour +7.6%
    English Labour +1.3%

I think it is fair to conclude that Drakeford is Labour’s best leader, and Starmer is a dud.

Up 1.3% against an horrifically poor Tory government, mid-term, is just eye-wateringly pathetic.

Statistically nonsense. It's easier to get larger percentage increases among smaller populations, and a lot more people voted in London than in Wales, let alone England as a whole.
    Absolute guff. If anything, Drakeford had the hardest job. He’s in office, was working from a high base, and it is always super tempting to kick the incumbent in low-importance mid-terms.
    It's very basic law of large numbers. Plus your chosen metric suffers from base effects. Your chosen metric is basically complete nonsense. It has zero useful information.
    Don’t tell Anas Sarwar. He’s been hailed a genius on the back of those numbers.
    Mostly by himself and Foulkes tbf.

IT WAS 15 people.

And there could have been 60 attending for all that it makes a difference. The event was either legal or it was illegal. How many people attended or whether Rayner attended or if the party had created an agenda for the event or how much was spent on curry and did that include poppadoms is irrelevant.

Legal. Or illegal. That's all it is. We know the Tory events were illegal because fines have been issued and the spin machine is already making excuses for the fines to come ("yes Boris was at the party in the flat but he was conducting a job interview"). We don't yet know if the Starmer campaign event was illegal. We know much if the evidence actually makes the case for Starmer because the Tory clicktivists and hacks don't understand the law. But it's all down to the police and if they issue a fine Starmer has to go

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

We all take your perspective on Woke u Der advisement.

In the real world there are two established nationalist parties and there wasn't room for a third.
    But both indy parties are social democratic leftwing parties

What about economic and cultural conservatives who also like indy? What should they do? Grin and bear it forever?

It is a problem for the cause

• How are you @RochdalePioneers?

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

You have to be kidding , they are neither nationalist or green. Their leaders are odious creeps and them being useful idiots for Sturgeon does not incline me to ever consider voting for them.
    Only two hopes are that Sturgeon gets found out or labour come to their senses and stop being London lickspittles.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Perhaps Alba are trying to carve out a space that is too sparsely populated in voterdom. I really do think strong woke/antiwoke positions are generally confined to the politically highly active classes, and are fuelled by partisanship. I suspect most people are left fairly cold by the debate either way. It's a bubble thing.

I'd be interested to see what a change of leadership does.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

What about economic and cultural conservatives who also like indy? What should they do? Grin and bear it forever?

What is conservative about breaking up the union? There are no right wing nat parties because it's not a right wing position.

Then again, with right wing conservatives now arguing for the merits of trade barriers and costly red tape anything is possible...

@PBModerator I would like you to pass judgment, I think the responses to @Heathener have turned into out and out bullying and targeting.

Too far , you should butt out and let the poster sort out their own battles. You are not the god of bullying or doxxing decisions. You have done worse yourself.

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

What is conservative about breaking up the union? There are no right wing nat parties because it's not a right wing position.

Then again, with right wing conservatives now arguing for the merits of trade barriers and costly red tape anything is possible...
    What a cringingly stupid remark
  • malcolmg said:

@PBModerator I would like you to pass judgment, I think the responses to @Heathener have turned into out and out bullying and targeting.

Too far , you should butt out and let the poster sort out their own battles. You are not the god of bullying or doxxing decisions. You have done worse yourself.
    I apologised. The users in question never have.
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I'd be interested to see what a change of leadership does.
    Given it will be Macbeth , I doubt it will make a big difference.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    Coming very late to this discussion due to work so probably everything has already been said. But I do hope TSE is right and Starmer does do he right thing and stand down if he is fined. I have no particular like or dislike for Starmer and think it would maybe be a bit of a shame if he were to go but it would be the right thing to do and, to my mind, would hopefully precipitate the end of Johnson. That seems to be very much a sacrifice worth Starmer making for the sake of the country.

Of course I presume this would also mean Angela Rayner going but again I am not really fussed one way or another about that. Undermining Johnson's ridiculous position seems to me to be the great prize in this game.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    FF43 said:

Agreed. I learnt two things from Susanna Reid's interview with Johnson last week. Eroding benefits through inflation is actual government policy. Tipping many people struggling to get by into outright poverty.

Secondly, Johnson has given no real thought to Cost of Living, the biggest issue facing the country right now. If he had he would go into the interview with a list of things his government are doing to mitigate the crisis. He had nothing to say on the topic.
    Surely everyone has a few pals like Zac they can lean on for cash when things are a bit tough?
    malcolmg said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think they're doomed.

EDIT
    I think she has strong backing from London, we see lots of rubbish in print but I think she has an understanding that the boat only gets rocked so much. Can be no other reason why she has failed to do anything for so many years. Power crazy and is looking for a big job. Would be interesting to see what her superinjuctions are about as well and seems Swinney may also a naughty boy.
    They have managed to get rid of any thinking people and surrounded themselves with a bunch of grasping wasters. They will run out of cash though and unlike the other regional parties do not have London to bail them out.
    To be fair, the last couple of years have been a bad time to be pushing for a vote. I voted unionist in 2019 and 2021(constituency) but the results give a clear mandate for a referendum so I think there should be one. But it's entirely excusable during Covid that no move has been made. Now we're past that, and she has to move, especially given the further successes in 2022. Delays previously have been correct, but any further wait would be wrong. Over to you, Nicola.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

For a Tory councillor, you have an astonishing insight into the minds of Labour members - impressive. But you're wrong on Nandy, who is both capable and popular within the party.
    He understands the way politics works and calls it pretty straight.

I think he's wrong about Nandy though, but we shall see....or not, as the (police) case may be.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

Compare
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/scotland2021
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/uk2019

Not sure I would even call the Greens lefties - and note that Slab are a lot more right wing than Labour in the UK. Which confuses things ... however, if SLD ever regained their Home Rule roots, they could do very well with the pro-indy types. Labour, not so much, unless the go full pro indy, and theyt won't cos their MSPs want nice MPships, peerages and directorships in the traditional cursus honorum of Slab.

IT WAS 15 people.

And there could have been 60 attending for all that it makes a difference. The event was either legal or it was illegal. How many people attended or whether Rayner attended or if the party had created an agenda for the event or how much was spent on curry and did that include poppadoms is irrelevant.

Legal. Or illegal. That's all it is. We know the Tory events were illegal because fines have been issued and the spin machine is already making excuses for the fines to come ("yes Boris was at the party in the flat but he was conducting a job interview"). We don't yet know if the Starmer campaign event was illegal. We know much if the evidence actually makes the case for Starmer because the Tory clicktivists and hacks don't understand the law. But it's all down to the police and if they issue a fine Starmer has to go
    Agreed
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Farooq said:

EDIT

NS is a political colossus, no doubt, but her success is built on the foundation of conspicuously wanting, but not actually doing much to get, independence. While that approach has been electorally successful for a very long time it must run out of steam at some point.

It's one of the reasons I think Johnson would be happy to offer an indyref to the SNP as the price of confidence and support. He knows NS doesn't really want one and he'd believe, with some justification, that he could win it anyway.

The other reason he might do it is that he doesn't give a fuck about Scotland. That country being a minor subset of the many things that aren't Boris Johnson that he doesn't give a fuck about.
    edited May 2022

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Reeves
    Cooper
    Nandy

He understands the way politics works and calls it pretty straight.

I think he's wrong about Nandy though, but we shall see....or not, as the (police) case may be.
    He does. His position is usually immoral and massively hypocritical but that is standard operating procedure for his party.

Coming very late to this discussion due to work so probably everything has already been said. But I do hope TSE is right and Starmer does do he right thing and stand down if he is fined. I have no particular like or dislike for Starmer and think it would maybe be a bit of a shame if he were to go but it would be the right thing to do and, to my mind, would hopefully precipitate the end of Johnson. That seems to be very much a sacrifice worth Starmer making for the sake of the country.

Of course I presume this would also mean Angela Rayner going but again I am not really fussed one way or another about that. Undermining Johnson's ridiculous position seems to me to be the great prize in this game.

Not sure this would work out as intended. Can see Starmer resigning, Boris staying and that actually re-enforcing the Boris brand of being a winner, invincible and someone above normal politics. Plenty of votes from those characteristics, even if it costs him other votes on the other side (shameless, lying, selfish, one rule for him etc).
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

You have to be kidding , they are neither nationalist or green. Their leaders are odious creeps and them being useful idiots for Sturgeon does not incline me to ever consider voting for them.
    Only two hopes are that Sturgeon gets found out or labour come to their senses and stop being London lickspittles.
    I have a lot of time for Andy Wightman - he really got up the nose of Tory landowners and Labour apparatchiks alike with his examination of land ownership, never mind dodgy firms, and got sued for it. It was a disgrace that the Greens forced him out.
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

As you say Leon absolutely and utterly not woke , so political wilderness for me at present. I did not even vote for the first time in my life, had no Alba choice.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

EDIT

NS is a political colossus, no doubt, but her success is built on the foundation of conspicuously wanting, but not actually doing much to get, independence. While that approach has been electorally successful for a very long time it must run out of steam at some point.

It's one of the reasons I think Johnson would be happy to offer an indyref to the SNP as the price of confidence and support. He knows NS doesn't really want one and he'd believe, with some justification, that he could win it anyway.

The other reason he might do it is that he doesn't give a fuck about Scotland. That country being a minor subset of the many things that aren't Boris Johnson that he doesn't give a fuck about.
    I think complaining about the Union but doing little to leave it is in line with the wishes of the majority of Scottish voters.

Not sure this would work out as intended. Can see Starmer resigning, Boris staying and that actually re-enforcing the Boris brand of being a winner, invincible and someone above normal politics. Plenty of votes from those characteristics, even if it costs him other votes on the other side (shameless, lying, selfish, one rule for him etc).
    If I were Starmer, I wouldn't budge till Mr J resigned, and a new leader had taken over, precisely for that reason. And there is lots more to come re No 10.
    edited May 2022
    Would Starmer defending his potential fine in court instead of resigning be plausible? Guess the problem is it might take many many months (years?) to get to court?

malcolmg said:

I apologised. The users in question never have.
    Just let people fight their own battles, not worth getting involved.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think he's got a point. A conservative position is to persist and preserve things that are not obviously broken. The state of the union is an interesting one because there are arguments both ways but living in Scotland I can tell you that, despite your view of the house colours in Wick, it's not all dreary and horrible. It works, to some extent. So a natural conservative position is, don't overthrow this, it's working. So what is the conservative argument for independence? I can come up with a couple of weakish ones, but they're not altogether convincing.

Would Starmer defending his potential fine in court instead of resigning be plausible? Guess the problem is it might take many many months (years?) to get to court?

The Tories own the Home Office and would lean on the CPS toi speed up.
    Dura_Ace said:

Farooq said:

EDIT

She will never test it till she has a bigger global role of some sort and for that she needs London to approve her getting one. She will never rock the boat.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    edited May 2022
    Leon said:

Peace!

Technical question, if someone has used a series of made up usernames previously, can referring to them truly be said to be doxxing? Not that I’m suggesting that you’re an expert or anything.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Stocky said:

Heathener said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

JACK_W said:

Under NO circumstances:

He has a penis.

End of.

xx
    Non sequitur.

Have a nice day folks.

I think he's got a point. A conservative position is to persist and preserve things that are not obviously broken. The state of the union is an interesting one because there are arguments both ways but living in Scotland I can tell you that, despite your view of the house colours in Wick, it's not all dreary and horrible. It works, to some extent. So a natural conservative position is, don't overthrow this, it's working. So what is the conservative argument for independence? I can come up with a couple of weakish ones, but they're not altogether convincing.
    Also a strong correlation of natural Tory voting and cringing grovelling to royalty and 1960s Commando comic Brexiter patriotism in the elderly.
This discussion has been closed.