Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s almost certain now that Johnson won’t be fined by end of March – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    Carnyx said:

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- Cases - UP. R is close to 1.
    - In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Admissions UP. R is reducing slowly.
    - Deaths - UP

Don't you mean cases does? only very slightly, but if you compare todays number with same day last week, or this week with last week, then cases are down, all be it by only 3%, but down is down.
    You may be big Rich, you may have taken on PBs collective agreement of Putin heading to defeat, but you can’t take on the Malmesbury Monoliths.
    That's right, like standing up in Wiltshire 4000 BC and saying what's all this Stonehenge stuff then?
    It might take 6,000 years to properly appreciate them.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Everybody knows that Joe Biden said what he said about Vladimir Putin because he means it.

Fact that Beltway bandits up & down the line are saying it ain't so totally for purposes of semi-plausible deniability.

One time when reputation as gaffe machine is working in his favor. And not just his,
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377
    If - or rather WHEN - it turns out I was right about that, the naysayers on here are going to look total fools. I’m not going to name them, they know who they are. We all know who they are, they don’t need any more celebrity

I’m tempted to call them scum, but that’s not the way I operate, I don’t easily resort to abuse, even tho in this case it would be entirely justified, because they are exactly that. Scum.

It’s not a nice word is it? SCUM

But that’s how bad things have got. That is the state of play. They try to deny, they flail and lie, they are - tho I have no desire to use the word, and will restrain myself - SCUM.

And very soon I will not be the lone voice pointing out that things have become like this, when for so long they weren’t, but they are now

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

BigRich said:

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Don't you mean cases does? only very slightly, but if you compare todays number with same day last week, or this week with last week, then cases are down, all be it by only 3%, but down is down.
    You may be big Rich, you may have taken on PBs collective agreement of Putin heading to defeat, but you can’t take on the Malmesbury Monoliths.
    LOL
    Don’t know why you are laughing. I have it 50/50 wether you survive questioning Putin’s imminent demise. PB has been raised by Dr Who, Babylon 5 and The Carry On films, where the bad guys always come a cropper.
    One can easily imagine the reaction of John "Nuke 'em" Sheridan to Putin.......
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

biggles said:

@Stuart_Dickson

UK (Scotland), Savanta ComRes poll:

Independence referendum

Yes: 47% (-2)
    No: 53% (+2)

+/- vs. 24-28 Feb

Fieldwork: 10-16 March 2022

Consider the last campaign. On anything like those numbers, Yes wins through with a positive message, vs. a dour, negative No campaign.
    There is every reason for no to fight a positive campaign
    I don’t think I’ve seen a positive case made. In full disclosure I am English and would love the union to survive, but were I Scottish I think I’d vote Yes for similar reasons to why I voted to leave the EU. Sometimes it’s a matter of principle, and if enough Scots “feel” like an independent country and don’t “feel” British then the case is made.
    I do think, that the situation in Ukraine might influence Scottish independence. A lot of careless and naive assumptions about defence are not safe. The SNP epitomise this - posturing in their condemnation of Putin and Russia, whilst also wanting to get rid of the UK's nuclear deterrent.

For me, the issue of defence is one of two reasons why I would want to preserve the union. The other is the need to preserve free movement and avoid a hard border - for the sake of family connections and employment more than anything else.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    edited March 2022

Carnyx said:

Only 50% of conservatives support the commonwealth

Do you think the Commonwealth should or should not continue in its current form?"

% should

50% Conservatives
    42% pensioners
    36% 50-64 yr-olds
    34% all Brits
    32% Liberal Democrats
    30% 25-49 yr-olds
    25% 18-24 yr olds
    25% Labour voters

YouGov Mar 29
    #CommonwealthDay

Hmm, there are various interpretations - I'm sure a Tory such has HYUFD, given his views on the mystic unity of the Anglo-Saxon [edit] former Dominions, has a different idea of the correct direction to take than, say, your Labour-voting student.
    It might also be that immigrants from Commonwealth countries have a more favourable view than their descendants. It is hard to read too much into that poll. What does the question even mean?
    I get the impression that the Commonwealth is much more meaningful to pensioners (like me) because they remember that in their parents' time huge numbers of people from there had come to Europe to save us - which is pretty darned impressive, seeing that they could have sat in Australia, India and so on and observed developments much as we do Ukraine - sympathy, worry, supplies, but no troops.

In recent years I can only think of a few ceremonial affairs plus the Commonwealth Games. I'm not against it at all and hope it continues, much as I feel about UNESCO, but it doesn't seem to do very much any more. The original hope was that it would be an international community of peaceful like-minded countries who would help promote international amity. It's not worked out quite that way, but that's not a reason to abolish it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

ECB considering launch of 12-team Premier League as part of radical new blueprint for English domestic game

I hardly care what they do, except that I'dlike to see any new teams created given sensible names, instead of the piles of crap some PR people sold them for the names of the Hundred franchises.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

TimT said:

BigRich said:

TimT said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Is this to be taken at face value ?

Turkey says that a deal is looking closer.

Russia-Ukraine war latest: Moscow says it will ‘drastically reduce military activity’ around Kyiv and Chernihiv
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2022/mar/29/russia-ukraine-war-latest-news-live-updates-putin-moscow-kremlin-zelenskiy-kyiv-russian-invasion

Nah, they're dressing up a retreat from those two as part of a peace process but it's probably to reinforce other parts of the invasion force that have been hollowed out.
    If their frontline units have taken 25-40% losses, as seems to be the case, then even if withdrawn from Kyiv, Chernihiv and Sumy, they will need some time to regroup before being committed to the front line again. And they will be further attrited during their retreat under fire.

There is some evidence that the Russian forces have already run through their normal reserve units, as T-60 tanks, presumably resurrected from storage, are now turning up dead on the battlefield.
    Not withstanding the Russian casualties' witch have been high, as have the Ukrainians. Russia can and indeed appear to be pulling troops back over the boarder in the North east, which lets them rest and maybe even resupplied a bit, for where they can be moved to other parts of the war.

The Ukrainians even when they reach the boarder, cannot properly rest or be redeployed, as they don't know if the Russians will come back over that boarder. Thus giving an advantage to Russia. :(
    I think you are vastly overestimating Russia's capacity to regroup, replace and resupply its mortally damaged elite units.
    Vastly I think overstates it.

Yes, Russia is not going to get back full fighting strength in 5 days rest, or whatever, but it does not need to, it just needs a bit of rest, and can then be stronger than it is not, but not as strong as it was a month ago.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainians have also taken a lot of losses, and if they don't know when the Russians will be back cant rest in the same way,

thus comparative advantage to Russia.
    I think you overestimate the ability of the Russian forces to quickly regroup.

For a start, a formation which has taken 20-30% losses, is not going to be in a hurry to get back into the fight. They are going to be shell shocked and desperate to avoid being in the next lot of losses.

Russia needs to pull fresh forces from other parts of the country. But in doing so, they weaken their hold there.

Now: can Russia take Mauripol and therefore hold a narrow sliver from the Donbass to the Crimea? Probably. But holding territory when the locals don't want you there, surrounded by land held by people who don't want you there...

And it's notable that the (admittedly Ukrainian) proposals circulated doesn't include any mention of the coastline.

Russia has an answer to that population Problem, they are deporting the population to camps in Russia, 60,000 from Mariupol, and over 400,000 total. thus problem solved for them, and they now have a bargaining chip, drop the sanctions or we don't give the people back, when they are released, Ukraine needs to find homes for them.

we can get an idea of the areas where the Russians are planning on keeping by where they are deporting people from, very very sad, and echoes, of soviet policy, Puyin is wicked, and sadly winning.
    You keep repeating that he is winning.

In my mind, 'winning' would involve his country being in a better position than five weeks ago, and no matter how I strain, I can't see that.
    I hope he looses, I really want him to loose, we are all focusing on the way he is loosing, but in a complex pitcher, with things on both scales, and the outcome of many things still uncertain, it looks to me like he is wining. he could have been defeated, but its not happened, he will get a peace treaty more or less on his terms, and lie about the losses.
    Early on in this conflict, I assumed that Putin was incredibly smart, and had wargamed every angle. Essentially, this man made tens (or hundreds) of billions, consolidated his hold on Russia, crushed rebellious provinces, etc.

Basically, like many others, I assumed that Putin was playing 5D chess.

We've all been slow to respond to new information. Putin wasn't playing 5D chess: he was woefully ignorant of the capabilities of his own armed forces, and of the likely resistance of the Ukrainians. He massively miscalculated and has taken enormous damage.

I think you are still of the view that Russia is a military superpower that just needs to reorient their forces to deal a knock out blow. And I think that is wrong. Or, at least, it ignores the fact that what remains of the Russian forces outside Ukraine is either (a) conscripts, (b) holding down other rebellious provinces or (c) Putin's own personal security detail in Moscow.

Now, can they grind the Ukrainians into a bloody stalemate in the East? Probably. But that isn't victory for Russia. That's a continued crushing cost, as they tip more men and weapons into a part of a foreign country that doesn't want them.

And every day Russia remains in this fight, the West weans itself a little more off of Russia's energy.
    Quite the opposite, I thought that when Putin started this he had made a massive mistake and was going to pay for it, the early Ukrainian resistance was tremendous and there where indications that the west might be bothered enough to make a deference.

But the west in nether united or phatically resolute, we are supposedly sanctioning the nation that we are buying close to a billion euros of fuel of a day. with lots of companies still operating.

Russia is committing terrible war crimes, and when one leader criticises, then Macron gets on his 'high hours' and would rather crises the POTUSA than to day a rude word against Putin.

Putin commits genocide, on millions, but we would rather talk about one actor slapping one comedian in LA. Putin guest that we are not interested in standing up for freedom and on the would he was right.

Germany promises to spend 100 billion Euro on defence soon, but cant/won't give Ukraine the weapons it needs now. just 5 billion of Mig 29s, S-300s and more in the last 2 weeks could have saved themselves and the would so much.

The fighting is at a standstill and Putin holds the bits he really wants. He can now dictate a peace treaty, where the would we recognise his gains, and he will feel no obligation to keep his side of the barging when it no longer souts him.
    I don't think Germany has any decent weapons it can ship to the Ukraine. Did you read the NYTimes article on the state of the German army, and how even one of its best equipped divisions in Lithuania lacks the same level of kit as the Brits, Americans, French or even the Lithuanians.

But that's by-the-by.

Russia holds pretty much the same territory, or maybe a little less, than it did one week in. It has lost more than 250 tanks, and 750 APCs.

And if there's one thing we've learned from Afghanistan and Iraq, it's that invasion is usually the easy bit. After that it gets harder.

So, what is this 'victory' of which you speak?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Lol, Hancock doing some serious BJ rslicking on C4 News.
    He's desperate to be back 'in government', and given the way things are going it wouldn't be the most unlikely outcome.

'I've invited Matt back into government because all of us need to put COVID, and all that occurred during those challenging times, behind us.' would be a great line for Boris to bang out.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    It looks like Ukraine has hit a weapons arsenal inside Russia:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1508874225393754114
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216

Lol, Hancock doing some serious BJ rslicking on C4 News.
    He's desperate to be back 'in government', and given the way things are going it wouldn't be the most unlikely outcome.

Didn't hear it. Did he get past the 'Why are you talking about this stuff? Don't you know there's a war on?' line that has been reeled out by all the rest of them?
    Kind of, but BJ's heroic 'leadership not just for this country but for frankly the effort of the West' during said war was part of his schtick. That little wanker was an excellent counterpoint to the sobbing widow on just before angrily stating that she should have broken the rules and broken down the hospital doors so she could see her dying husband.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Every now and then, I like to check on my erstwhile colleague who went over to the dark side about 20 years ago, Scott Ritter.

Here he explains how the Russian plan is going brilliantly:

https://twitter.com/RealScottRitter/status/1508813631311466496
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

@Stuart_Dickson

Independence referendum

+/- vs. 24-28 Feb

Consider the last campaign. On anything like those numbers, Yes wins through with a positive message, vs. a dour, negative No campaign.
    Yes lost by a 10% margin last time against an Alistair Darling led No for goodness sake.

For Yes to be on just 47% post Brexit is pathetic. Though of course the Tory government will continue to refuse indyref2 for a generation, the SNP will need Starmer as PM reliant on them to get one
    What is this, ****ing blue whale generations now??
    Nope. Greenland shark generations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37047168

"Greenland sharks are now the longest-living vertebrates known on Earth, scientists say. Researchers used radiocarbon dating to determine the ages of 28 of the animals, and estimated that one female was about 400 years old."
    No wonder they taste disgusting.
  • Options

@Stuart_Dickson

Independence referendum

+/- vs. 24-28 Feb

The new “Spiky Big G” opens another front in the thread, poking another slumbering bear.

This is going to be a long evening 🙈
    Actually it was @HYUFD who posted it first !!!!!!
    This is true.

But only one of you prodded Nogbad the Bad with it?

Talking of which, now you have evoked him like the naughty Shaman, and it will now rise in the East and slouch towards us, I’ve got Stuart’s new avatar.

no need to thank me Stu 😌

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,244
    Leon said:

If - or rather WHEN - it turns out I was right about that, the naysayers on here are going to look total fools. I’m not going to name them, they know who they are. We all know who they are, they don’t need any more celebrity

I’m tempted to call them scum, but that’s not the way I operate, I don’t easily resort to abuse, even tho in this case it would be entirely justified, because they are exactly that. Scum.

But that’s how bad things have got. That is the state of play. They try to deny, they flail and lie, they are - tho I have no desire to use the word, and will restrain myself - SCUM.

And very soon I will not be the lone voice pointing out that things have become like this, when for so long they weren’t, but they are now

What are you speaking about ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    TimT said:

BigRich said:

5 minuets ago I did not know what a daisy chain IED was, but here is a video of one, (don't watch if seeing Russians blown up upsets you)

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1508633756915183617?s=20&t=AtaR4vYHzGGmasTYmpNhww

I think we'll see a lot more of these and mined roads as the Russians start pulling back from entrenched positions towards* the Belarus and Russian borders. Ambushes and harrying actions.

PS * i.e. along predictable routes towards ...
    If they can even get the equipment back along the roads. There’s plenty of blown up bridges between (for example) Irpin and Chernobyl. Loads of opportunities to ambush the Russians as they retreat.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

This is all getting utterly ridiculous

I may need you to narrow that down a little.
    I'm afraid I'm simply not prepared to do that
    Open the pod bay doors
    At some point, surely, you just have to draw a line and say ENOUGH

And for me, that time has come. I don't care if it puts noses out of joint, or irritates *certain people* on this forum

The fact is, this IS getting utterly ridiculous. We all know it, yet it takes someone to say it. And I have just said it
    Why don't you just fuck off and join the Liberal Democrats.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

Total Denial there is even a problem
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    The head of Chechnya republic Kadyrov desperately wants people to think he is fighting in #Ukraine. First, he lied about being near #Kyiv when he was seen in Chechnya. Now he says is in Mariupol and posts this picture, not realizing, but there are no Rosneft stations in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/AnonOpsSE/status/1508776500367138818?s=20&t=afbZIQJw_OzByqoNwt7BWQ
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Aliens? Lab bats? Lady’s with willys?

It’s a 7% waning crescent - does that help?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

Perhaps not; Russia has not the best history with good weapons handling, and it'd get worse in wartime chaos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-49249504

And they also cause them in foreign countries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Vrbětice_ammunition_warehouses_explosions
  • Options

LOL, fireworks display for the retreating Russian troops! 💥
  • Options

LOL, fireworks display for the retreating Russian troops! 💥
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

England Test team?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

And for me, that time has come. I don't care if it puts noses out of joint, or irritates *certain people* on this forum

The fact is, this IS getting utterly ridiculous. We all know it, yet it takes someone to say it. And I have just said it
    Classic Diversion from the subject at hand
  • Options
    Reports of an ammo dump going up in Belgograd across the border in Russia. Russian incompetence, Russian sabotage, or Ukraine getting more confident in taking the fight to the enemy?

https://twitter.com/tinso_ww/status/1508875630083022856
  • Options
    TimT said:

Every now and then, I like to check on my erstwhile colleague who went over to the dark side about 20 years ago, Scott Ritter.

What's his view on the WI Royal Tour?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

He’s SUCH a tease
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791

Taz said:

Leon said:

Perhaps it was a woke alien transgender bat who voted remain, supports devolution and finds Starmer quite intriguing?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

WE DONT WANT HIM! HE IS YOUR PROBLEM.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

Have to admit, this is the funniest I've seen you in a long while, Sean.
  • Options

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Yes! Even those PBers who detest (or at least deplore) Malmebury's politics respect his graphics!!

Even - or is it especially? - when we don't know what the heck they mean!!!
    And that’s why you can’t say they are wrong.

They have a Pavlov dog trigger with me, soon as I see them I start mixing cocktails.
    If you only despise my politics, I'm doing it wrong.

The graphs are pretty simple - mostly about showing relative shifts in the data. What's going up and what's going down.

As to cases going up or down - so far, case R is still above 1. That data is delayed by a few days, but is considerably more reliable than comparing days over intervals...

They are very beautiful. Especially the green one.
  • Options

TimT said:

What's his view on the WI Royal Tour?

I don't think he's got his script from Moscow yet on that one ...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TimT said:

BigRich said:

5 minuets ago I did not know what a daisy chain IED was, but here is a video of one, (don't watch if seeing Russians blown up upsets you)

https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1508633756915183617?s=20&t=AtaR4vYHzGGmasTYmpNhww

I think we'll see a lot more of these and mined roads as the Russians start pulling back from entrenched positions towards* the Belarus and Russian borders. Ambushes and harrying actions.

PS * i.e. along predictable routes towards ...
    If they can even get the equipment back along the roads. There’s plenty of blown up bridges between (for example) Irpin and Chernobyl. Loads of opportunities to ambush the Russians as they retreat.
    It would be nice if a sizable force of Ukrainians with anti-tank weapons could do a flanking movement through Belarus territory to meet the retreating Russians coming north while others harry them from behind.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Perhaps it was a woke alien transgender bat who voted remain, supports devolution and finds Starmer quite intriguing?
    Then I fear the poor alien trans bat set for a huge disappointment with its Starmer vote
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Yes! Even those PBers who detest (or at least deplore) Malmebury's politics respect his graphics!!

They have a Pavlov dog trigger with me, soon as I see them I start mixing cocktails.

The graphs are pretty simple - mostly about showing relative shifts in the data. What's going up and what's going down.

As to cases going up or down - so far, case R is still above 1. That data is delayed by a few days, but is considerably more reliable than comparing days over intervals...

Positively Hogarthian.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    It's all Hunter Biden's fault.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

I do not know what the problem you refer to is so I’m unable to deny it.
  • Options

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Positively Hogarthian.
    User name checks out.....
  • Options
    I've just put in an order for a new entry level Toyota Yaris (hybrid). Got a 10% discount on the list price and 0% finance for 42 months with a low deposit. Presumably some end of financial year panic on the part of the dealer. The price of used cars is too high - may as well buy a new one if you can wait 4 months for delivery.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    TimT said:

Reports of an ammo dump going up in Belgograd across the border in Russia. Russian incompetence, Russian sabotage, or Ukraine getting more confident in taking the fight to the enemy?

looks big, hope its not that white prosperous stuff.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Wow.

That's a 120% on the Lib Dem bar chart

Especially the bit where he compares the maximum itheortriecal size of the Ukrainian army if they called up all their reserves and conscripts with the actual Russian invasion force.

Poor Liddle Wussians were outnumbered it seems. But not to fear.....
  • Options
    TimT said:

It's a good piece.

And if the Russian's hadn't lost a quite ridiculous amount of materiel, and seen an elite paratroop unit completely wiped out at Kyiv airport, then it would be quite plausible.

Because dropping 1,000 paratroopers at an airport, and then failing to get regular troops anywhere near the airport before they were killed, seems like an odd feint. Or, at the very least a rather unnecessary one.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    Just to check I have this right - Hunter Biden bribed the alien transgender space bats to do... what?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    BigRich said:

TimT said:

looks big, hope its not that white prosperous stuff.
    BR I know and respect the fact that you are dyslexic, I am very glad it doesn't stop you posting here, but can I just say that some of your deviations from standard spelling are bloody genius?
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    Just to check I have this right - Hunter Biden bribed the alien transgender space bats to do... what?
    Ban all Twitter accounts that mentioned his laptop.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    darkage said:

I've just put in an order for a new entry level Toyota Yaris (hybrid). Got a 10% discount on the list price and 0% finance for 42 months with a low deposit. Presumably some end of financial year panic on the part of the dealer. The price of used cars is too high - may as well buy a new one if you can wait 4 months for delivery.

We have a 2016 Yaris, also a hybrid. I love it. Easy to drive as electric drive chain, decent economy 62 mpg in summer, 58 in winter on unleaded.
    However, despite the hybrid hype, it’s just an efficient petro car. You can’t charge it up other than from the petrol engine, plus regenerative braking etc. It’s also slightly too small, so next model up would suit us better. But still love it.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

You WOULD say that, wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Someone has had a few too many glasses and is amusing themselves.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

You WOULD say that, wouldn't you?
    Rumbled !!!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

And if the Russian's hadn't lost a quite ridiculous amount of materiel, and seen an elite paratroop unit completely wiped out at Kyiv airport, then it would be quite plausible.

Because dropping 1,000 paratroopers at an airport, and then failing to get regular troops anywhere near the airport before they were killed, seems like an odd feint. Or, at the very least a rather unnecessary one.
    Even in a Market Garden, some people don't know their onions.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Happy,Shopper Polish Liebfraumilch can have that affect.
  • Options
    TimT said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severomorsk_Disaster
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

An unprovoked act of aggression toward a neighbour only looking to help Ukraine stabilise.

That was my audition to be next Foreign Minister of Russia.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    TimT said:

Colour me unconvinced.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791

TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    Spread critical race theory at university campuses of course.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

An Airport Too Far for the movie title.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

There is a rather long history of trying to do that - IIRC the first attempts at detonating a line of mines when one is hit were tried in the American Civil War.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Presumably a strained wrist is preventing the standard way of doing that.
  • Options

The head of Chechnya republic Kadyrov desperately wants people to think he is fighting in #Ukraine. First, he lied about being near #Kyiv when he was seen in Chechnya. Now he says is in Mariupol and posts this picture, not realizing, but there are no Rosneft stations in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/AnonOpsSE/status/1508776500367138818?s=20&t=afbZIQJw_OzByqoNwt7BWQ

There are however 2 groups of anti-Kadyrov anti Russian Chechens fighting alongside the Ukrainians in Ukraine, the problem is problem one are hard line Islamic purists that don't like Kadyrov because he is not a good enough Muslim and the other is a more liberal/western group.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

As much as they have been informative during the pandemic, and I am thankful for the hard work @Malmesbury puts into them, it’s not clear to me what value daily government statistics add now, beyond contributing negatively to the nation’s already fragile mental health.

People are trying to get on with their lives, covid is now lower risk than influenza. What exactly is the advantage of offering daily infection data offered to a granular local level? “We are riddled with it around here…”
  • Options

TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    Everyone knows this.

• Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

Leon, just wondering, is the problem the lack of westered support for Ukraine and are you about to depart to join the Ukrainian Forin Legion?

• Options
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

QED

Leon, just wondering, is the problem the lack of westered support for Ukraine and are you about to depart to join the Ukrainian Forin Legion?

Quite obviously a shaved parmesan shortage in his deli.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

But it is utterly ridiculous now

I’ve always admired your self awareness.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    Here is the Staines Town statement. Not your run-of-the-mill non-league whinge about the ref or Big Dave's hamstring pull.

http://stainestownfootballclub.co.uk/urgent-club-statement/
  • Options

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

As much as they have been informative during the pandemic, and I am thankful for the hard work @Malmesbury puts into them, it’s not clear to me what value daily government statistics add now, beyond contributing negatively to the nation’s already fragile mental health.

People are trying to get on with their lives, covid is now lower risk than influenza. What exactly is the advantage of offering daily infection data offered to a granular local level? “We are riddled with it around here…”
    agree, some people seem to have become addicted to them, stopping the updates at weekends was a good start, the would did not end, I think we could/should go to weekly and then monthly repotting.
  • Options

darkage said:

We have a 2016 Yaris, also a hybrid. I love it. Easy to drive as electric drive chain, decent economy 62 mpg in summer, 58 in winter on unleaded.
    However, despite the hybrid hype, it’s just an efficient petro car. You can’t charge it up other than from the petrol engine, plus regenerative braking etc. It’s also slightly too small, so next model up would suit us better. But still love it.
    Yeah we've currently got a '17 Yaris, but it is a 1.5 Manual. It is the wrong engine for stop start round town driving which is all we basically do aside from the odd longer weekend trip. It gets about 37 MPG. The regenerative battery with the hybrid is better for stop start driving, more efficient, less air pollution also. We don't have an accessible domestic charging point so electric isn't an option. The size is ok - we used to have a big, very comfortable saloon but it was a pain to park and manouvere around town.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors

Ahh Lab Bats! 🥱
    Everyone knows this.

Well they ought to by now. They don't teach anything else these days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

I think details of the operation were leeked.
  • Options

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

Omicron BA.2 winning here!
  • Options

BigRich said:

There is a rather long history of trying to do that - IIRC the first attempts at detonating a line of mines when one is hit were tried in the American Civil War.
    It sounds like a good idea, however in the video it does look like most (maybe all of the vehicles cared on driving. so maybe not as effective as it looks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have to say, @Leon is completely right about this

I rarely find myself in total agreement with a commenter, on this scale, but there it is. Some of you should be ashamed

Yay!! SeanT is back. We've missed your trenchant wit so ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

I rarely find myself in total agreement with a commenter, on this scale, but there it is. Some of you should be ashamed

Thanks

But I feel like I'm banging my head against a very very brick wall. Too many on here don't even want to acknowledge the issue.

What can you do? Being proved right will be no consolation
    Funny, but steady on you...two.
    TimT said:

SeanT said:

Yay!! SeanT is back.
    The memory does seem to linger though.
  • Options

BigRich said:

COVID Summary

- In hospital - UP
    - MV beds - UP
    - Deaths - UP

I think there is now an understanding among people who are realising that it’s mostly not dangerous now.* They’ve had it and recovered. All their friends and family the same. There is disruption at school/work etc as people are off sick.
    The pandemic is over, unless an unthinkable variant arrives.

*People are dying every day, and still getting admitted to hospital. But with 1 in 11 testing positive at any time according to the ONS this wave will subside soon, and the numbers going to hospital are minuscule in comparison.
    So yes stop the daily doom data. It only upsets the iSAGE crowd and their sycophants “Of course I Still wear an ffp3 on the one occasion a month I leave the house, at 2 am to visit the 24 h Tesco. You can all thank me and worship my virtue signalling”
  • Options
    Hey Tim T, the Fox Weather Channel tells me that Maryland is gonna start thawing out Wed or Thurs.

Connected with massive upsurge from Gulf of Mexico of super-heated air NOT directly related to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Cancun).
  • Options
    A Tory MP asked a teenager if he was "a true Scotsman" and lifted the youth's kilt before sexually assaulting his 15-year-old brother in a bunkbed, a court has heard.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/29/tory-mp-sexually-assaulted-teenage-boy-party-court-told/

Doesn't look a slam dunk conviction to me
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Oryx's numbers going up quite rapidly now. Wondering if this is that he has got some help with the backlog, or if, as would be expected, and army on the run is losing more kit than it was when attacking.

333 tanks down ...

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

I think details of the operation were leeked.
    For the poor bloody paratroops, that's shallot.
  • Options
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Thanks

But I feel like I'm banging my head against a very very brick wall. Too many on here don't even want to acknowledge the issue.

I am reminded of Cornelius Fudge, on the return of Voldemort “He’s back!”
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Perhaps not; Russia has not the best history with good weapons handling, and it'd get worse in wartime chaos.

The Ukrainians are claiming it was a successful Tochka missile strike.

• Options
    TimT said:

SeanT said:

Yay!! SeanT is back. We've missed your trenchant wit so ...
    I had vaguely assumed you were brothers. T is not the commonest surname...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,450
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Paratroopers are very lightly armed, aren't good against tanks or heavy ordnance, and are only good for 2-3 days before they run out of ammo.

Then, it's an easy job to round then up.

They're talked about like they're some sort of hyperpowerful mechanised supermarines but they're really just mobile light infantry and it's silly to drop mobile light infantry way behind enemy lines, and leave them to it, anywhere.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Last time this one turned up, we lost poor old Eadric.

Is the writing on the wall for Leon?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,079
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

24 full-sample Westminster voting intention polls were conducted* in Scotland during 2021.

To date in 2022: zero.

Something’s up.

(*published)

Hmm. Niot having [edit] 6 in 3 months feels like it's getting more than a stat fluctuation, especially as you'd expect spacing to be non-random to begin with (ie more evenly spaced than the null hypothesis).

In 2021, what proportion of the - as you say - published polls were funded by Unionist parties or media, do you know?
    87.5% of the 2021 polls were published by Unionist media. That they appear to have suddenly desisted (or at least desisted from publishing the findings) speaks volumes.
    Mm, that's about 7/8 - so that leaves just 3 polls with non-Unionist funders. One every four months on average. And we're only three momths into 2022. Barring posh Bayesian analysis, a very rough conclusion is that we can't legitimately rule out the null hypothesis that the non-Unionist funders are behaving normally, all other things equal. Which is a massive contrast.
    I’d argue the unionist funders are behaving rationally too

Polls are a relatively cheap way to produce a front page story.

There’s been quite a lot of other stuff going on. Another poll saying 48/52 one way or the other wouldn’t create many waves right now so isn’t worth the money
  • Options

Hey Tim T, the Fox Weather Channel tells me that Maryland is gonna start thawing out Wed or Thurs.

Connected with massive upsurge from Gulf of Mexico of super-heated air NOT directly related to Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Cancun).

Inshallah. It has been a bit brass monkeys here for the last few days, and we've had to put up 300' of 7' deer fencing in the howling frigid winds as Mr. Foxy has managed to run off with 10 of our 19 chickens in a matter of a few days. Saw the little bugger two days ago taking one from right by the swimming pool. Fucking load of use the German Shepherds were - falling down on their job duties considerably.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Paratroopers are very lightly armed, aren't good against tanks or heavy ordnance, and are only good for 2-3 days before they run out of ammo.

They're talked about like they're some sort of hyperpowerful mechanised supermarines but they're really just mobile light infantry and it's silly to drop mobile light infantry way behind enemy lines, and leave them to it, anywhere.
    Although certainly in WW2 for the 101st, they were probably the fittest and best soldiers the Americans had, so rigorous was the selection. Highly motivated, extremely fit and well trained. But lacking in firepower.
  • Options

Good on them. Ratchet up the pressure
  • Options

Brilliant, well done Ukraine!
  • Options
    TimT said:

Inshallah. It has been a bit brass monkeys here for the last few days, and we've had to put up 300' of 7' deer fencing in the howling frigid winds as Mr. Foxy has managed to run off with 10 of our 19 chickens in a matter of a few days. Saw the little bugger two days ago taking one from right by the swimming pool. Fucking load of use the German Shepherds were - falling down on their job duties considerably.
    What's @Foxy doing in Maryland? Shouldn't he be at that hospital in Leicester?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    cancelled
  • Options
    edited March 2022

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

It's a good piece.

Their other use is of course the element of surprise. Seize a lightly defended target or destroy stuff when least expected.
    No one at all anticipated them at an airport near the capital of a country you'd been saying you're going to invade for months.
  • Options
    Leon said:

SeanT said:

Thanks

Who (or whom?) was slurping which fruits-de-mer overlooking what beauty spot when this were posted?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

What's @Foxy doing in Maryland? Shouldn't he be at that hospital in Leicester?
    That's what I wanted you to think...
This discussion has been closed.