Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the Shrewsbury MP retain his seat at the next election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Putin’s body language in that rally is quite peculiar. It may be wishful thinking but he doesn’t look entirely well; he certainly doesn’t look comfortable

Weather in Moscow was about 6c today. He looks like he is wrapped up for an Arctic expedition. Although maybe some of it was flak jacket or similar? He looks very pale and not well.
    Maybe stage right? He's a shy little wallflower after all....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    ping said:

I’m one win away from my 3rd acca win out of four, this Cheltenham. All >20/1

Astonishing luck.

So, the big question, for me, is….

Is A Plus Tard value @ 2.85/1?

A back or a lay, at that price? Do I partially or fully cash out my acca?

Hmm.

I’m gonna let it ride.

In Rachel I trust….
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Scottish Parliament Voting Intention:

Constituency:
    SNP: 46% (-1)
    LAB: 24% (+2)
    CON: 20% (-1)
    LDM: 7% (-1)

Regional:
    SNP: 34% (nc)
    LAB: 22% (+2)
    GRN: 13% (-1)
    LDM: 8% (=)
    ALBA: 2% (=)

Via @SavantaComRes 10-16 March, Changes w/ 24-28 February.

Some Labour gains in Scotland

This endless Scottish stasis may be about to shift

See the indypoll on the last thread. NO is ahead by 5. Sturgeon is obvs not going to call - or even try to call - indyref2 next year. It’s off the agenda

As this becomes obvious unease in the SNP will increase. There is a fundamental split between the gradualists who are content, for now, with devolution, and the maximalists who want Indy tomorrow

They might split as the next referendum recedes into the distant future

Who gains? Possibly Scottish Labour, if they are canny (which they generally aren’t, it must be said)
    Article by an Indy-supporting journo on why she thinks Nicola may stand down. I'm not so sure. The Yes vote is down a little, but hasn't tanked. Politicians who get to the top generally have to be dragged out of office. All the same...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/scottish-independence-nicola-sturgeons-time-as-first-minister-may-be-coming-to-an-end-with-ukraine-and-cost-of-living-crises-affecting-support-for-leaving-uk-joyce-mcmillan-3616408

"The First Minister is therefore caught for now in a painful double bind, unable to delay a referendum campaign for much longer without alienating ever-larger groups of independence supporters, and yet unable to campaign actively for independence without a high risk of alienating the very undecided and fearful voters she most needs to persuade; and all of Scottish politics seems caught with her."
    Actually quite a sensible article. She says indyref2 is half a decade away, I reckon it’s a decade away, but it is coming - eventually. A vote in the early 2030s answers the generation question, it also gives the SNP time to solve the currency and EU puzzles, which they demonstrably haven’t done, so far

The Union will be tested again. Just not yet
    Perhaps. Assumes the currency and EU problems are solvable, of course. Which they aren't. Nor are pensions, tax, etc either apparently.

Perhaps the SNP need a spell out of power at Holyrood and then can come charging back in. No sign of that either, though.
    That is probably what they do need. Defeat. The whiff of stagnancy and corruption is strong in Holyrood. No party should reign forever.

A good scenario for the SNP would be a narrow election defeat, then 5 years of incompetent Coalition/Unionist government in Holyrood. Then the Nats could point and say See?! - with a vigorous new leader they would then win a big majority, and a new mandate for an indyref. By that time - 15 years after 2014 - they could also argue: a new generation is here, Scotland has the right to ask once again

I don’t believe Westminster could or should resist in that situation. = Indyref2
    Yeah, maybe.

BUT that would need SNP to lose power in 2026, which they won't, as they'll be put back in by the Greens whose growth will compensate for any SNP decline. You need to understand the electoral system for Holyrood, and the List vote. The stagnation at Holyrood is just going to continue ad infinitum.
    Of course. I was dreaming.

It’s actually quite shit for Scotland. Labour really fucked up with Devolution

Perhaps when Sturgeon goes the tectonics might change…
    "Indyref2 delay due to Ukraine would 'hand Putin veto over democracy in Scotland' claim SNP"

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/indyref2-delay-due-to-ukraine-would-hand-putin-veto-over-democracy-in-scotland-claim-snp-3617488

Brightened my day.
    That SNP MSP should thank herself lucky she got her independence referendum in 2014 and Boris unlike Putin did not send in the armed forces to bring her nation firmly back within the bosom of the mother country.

She can then wait a generation until she is allowed an indyref2
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    DavidL said:

"Some of the Russian infantry vehicles and tanks are just lost, wandering around. They don’t have communications, they don’t know where they are," Mr. Kim said.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1504801061667807239?s=20&t=15tCsgfifQ_AwSCr93n7jA

The interesting bit of that tweet, if it is true, is that the Ukrainians are now regaining territory.
    That was reported yesterday - Ukrainian troops making limited counterattacks toward Kherson with some success.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Vladimir Putin would be handed an “effective veto over democracy” in Scotland if indyref2 was delayed by the Ukraine invasion, the SNP has said.

The comments come in response to The Scotsman’s exclusive poll which showed the majority of Scots wish to see discussions around indyref2 stop due to the ongoing conflict.

It also gave a small lead for No when undecideds are excluded, with the vote split 52/48 in favour of unionists.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/indyref2-delay-due-to-ukraine-would-hand-putin-veto-over-democracy-in-scotland-claim-snp-3617488
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

See the indypoll on the last thread. NO is ahead by 5. Sturgeon is obvs not going to call - or even try to call - indyref2 next year. It’s off the agenda

As this becomes obvious unease in the SNP will increase. There is a fundamental split between the gradualists who are content, for now, with devolution, and the maximalists who want Indy tomorrow

Who gains? Possibly Scottish Labour, if they are canny (which they generally aren’t, it must be said)
    Article by an Indy-supporting journo on why she thinks Nicola may stand down. I'm not so sure. The Yes vote is down a little, but hasn't tanked. Politicians who get to the top generally have to be dragged out of office. All the same...

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/scottish-independence-nicola-sturgeons-time-as-first-minister-may-be-coming-to-an-end-with-ukraine-and-cost-of-living-crises-affecting-support-for-leaving-uk-joyce-mcmillan-3616408

"The First Minister is therefore caught for now in a painful double bind, unable to delay a referendum campaign for much longer without alienating ever-larger groups of independence supporters, and yet unable to campaign actively for independence without a high risk of alienating the very undecided and fearful voters she most needs to persuade; and all of Scottish politics seems caught with her."
    Actually quite a sensible article. She says indyref2 is half a decade away, I reckon it’s a decade away, but it is coming - eventually. A vote in the early 2030s answers the generation question, it also gives the SNP time to solve the currency and EU puzzles, which they demonstrably haven’t done, so far

Since at your age you can only manage so many prolapses a year, I suspect that there’s a fair amount of vested interest in your reckoning. Be honest, does the phrase ‘perhaps the old union will see me out’ flit across your thoughts?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Leon said:

Putin’s body language in that rally is quite peculiar. It may be wishful thinking but he doesn’t look entirely well; he certainly doesn’t look comfortable

Weather in Moscow was about 6c today. He looks like he is wrapped up for an Arctic expedition. Although maybe some of it was flak jacket or similar? He looks very pale and not well.
    Just bear in mind Brits at the end of winter look so pale to Americans they appear sick.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Perhaps. Assumes the currency and EU problems are solvable, of course. Which they aren't. Nor are pensions, tax, etc either apparently.

Perhaps the SNP need a spell out of power at Holyrood and then can come charging back in. No sign of that either, though.
    That is probably what they do need. Defeat. The whiff of stagnancy and corruption is strong in Holyrood. No party should reign forever.

A good scenario for the SNP would be a narrow election defeat, then 5 years of incompetent Coalition/Unionist government in Holyrood. Then the Nats could point and say See?! - with a vigorous new leader they would then win a big majority, and a new mandate for an indyref. By that time - 15 years after 2014 - they could also argue: a new generation is here, Scotland has the right to ask once again

I don’t believe Westminster could or should resist in that situation. = Indyref2
    Yeah, maybe.

BUT that would need SNP to lose power in 2026, which they won't, as they'll be put back in by the Greens whose growth will compensate for any SNP decline. You need to understand the electoral system for Holyrood, and the List vote. The stagnation at Holyrood is just going to continue ad infinitum.

"Indyref2 delay due to Ukraine would 'hand Putin veto over democracy in Scotland' claim SNP"

Brightened my day.
    She should thank herself lucky she got her independence referendum in 2014 and Boris unlike Putin did not send in the armed forces to bring her nation firmly back within the bosom of the mother country.

You and your fantasies about generations again. You sound like an engineering manual about the electricity supply industry, or a Drosophila genetics lab.

In any case, you can't quote numbers accurately to within a factor of 100, so are we talking abour fruit fly or Dolly the sheep generations?
  • Options

BigRich said:

Here's video of Putin suddenly vanishing mid-sentence. Where is he?!

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1504812321637556224

That is strange, why?

Possibility's:

a) Just a mistake.
    b) Putin had a hart attack or similar.
    c) the crowed started booing him.

I think a) is by far the most likely, but we can hope. I note that was 30 minits ago, any update?
    It was just a broadcast mistake. Mobile phone footage subsequently showed the speech continuing for a couple of minutes from the point it got cut off.
    A mistake mistake, or a deliberate mistake?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Amusing. A poet deconstructed Bono’s Ukraine poem, as recited by Nancy Pelosi

https://www.gawker.com/culture/bono-wrote-a-poem-about-ukraine
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Since at your age you can only manage so many prolapses a year, I suspect that there’s a fair amount of vested interest in your reckoning. Be honest, does the phrase ‘perhaps the old union will see me out’ flit across your thoughts?
    Yep. And I suspect the same occurs to you, but with a hint of despair and terror
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Detailed tables from Ashcroft for the Russia poll (despite reservations about respondent willingness to be frank)

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Russia-Tables-180322.pdf

Apoart from the points noted earlier, it's worth noting that most respondents don't favour incorporating anything beyond Crimea and the East, so if Putin decided to try to occupy all the way to Kyiv and even Lviv, he'd have a lot more domestic persuading to do, quite apart from the military challenge. In practice the negotiations are going to come down to (a) definitions of neutrality and security and (b) the future status of Crimea and the Donbas.

Maybe some sort of UN peacekeeping line as in Cyprus could make (b) negotiable (also thereby covering security), with final status kicked down the road for later resolution.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Nuremberg, much?

Putin's introduction and entrance -- to the roaring crowd -- is 🧐

https://twitter.com/mike_eckel/status/1504811415911211057?s=21

Isn't it a bit more like any political event in America ever?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Decent enough run from ballygriffincottage

Close, but no cigar!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,006
    TimT said:

DavidL said:

"Some of the Russian infantry vehicles and tanks are just lost, wandering around. They don’t have communications, they don’t know where they are," Mr. Kim said.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1504801061667807239?s=20&t=15tCsgfifQ_AwSCr93n7jA

The interesting bit of that tweet, if it is true, is that the Ukrainians are now regaining territory.
    That was reported yesterday - Ukrainian troops making limited counterattacks toward Kherson with some success.
    Given the Russians noted supply difficulties, the Ukrainians could cause some real problems if they manage to isolate and surround Russian troops.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    ping said:

Decent enough run from ballygriffincottage

Close, but no cigar!

Still work in progress, as a secret weapon 😆 just his third race under rules, in awesome grade 1 company, definitely stays in notebook for next winter. could have brought him through earlier, his pace in last furlong wasn’t far off winner at that stage.

Two favourites didn’t make finish, in sad ways ☹️

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

DavidL said:

Given the Russians noted supply difficulties, the Ukrainians could cause some real problems if they manage to isolate and surround Russian troops.
    Yep. Chop up the invading units into digestible bites, and let the whole family at the dinner table. That is what awaits Russian troops unless they can get their shit together. Or worse.
  • Options

Nuremberg, much?

Yes, there are much weirder and creepier things in that rally than Putin’s entrance

The fact they are all wearing this sinister Z symbol is just one. Proto-fascism, again
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

Yes, there are much weirder and creepier things in that rally than Putin’s entrance

The fact they are all wearing this sinister Z symbol is just one. Proto-fascism, again
    The Zwastika.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770
    edited March 2022

Detailed tables from Ashcroft for the Russia poll (despite reservations about respondent willingness to be frank)

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Russia-Tables-180322.pdf

Apoart from the points noted earlier, it's worth noting that most respondents don't favour incorporating anything beyond Crimea and the East, so if Putin decided to try to occupy all the way to Kyiv and even Lviv, he'd have a lot more domestic persuading to do, quite apart from the military challenge. In practice the negotiations are going to come down to (a) definitions of neutrality and security and (b) the future status of Crimea and the Donbas.

Maybe some sort of UN peacekeeping line as in Cyprus could make (b) negotiable (also thereby covering security), with final status kicked down the road for later resolution.

The shape of the ending peace deal seems pretty clear.

Ukraine gives up Crimea.
    Donbass/Luhansk have their status changed either through autonomy, devolution or referenda.
    Ukraine says it does not intend to join NATO but keeps open the right to join EU, or perhaps commits to not being a full member of the EU but not ruling out some form of closer links.
    Russia recognises Ukraine's right to exist and its right to have its own military.
    Sanctions start to be lifted, with reparations paid to Ukraine out of Russian assets frozen in the West.

Should be do-able quite quickly, think the war is over this time next month. It is a loss for Russia with them achieving virtually nothing they did not have before the (2022) invasion, but enough for Putin to claim a win back home given his control of state media and the false war objectives he told his home audience.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

Has anyone figured that out yet?
    I mean, not the adoption of a Fascist symbol to rally round. That's standard.
    But why specifically Z?
    It's not part of the Cyrillic alphabet.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1504755525774462976

Labour seems to have extended its lead back up to around 6 points.

In what universe does a no change poll extend a lead?
    I think Horse was generalising over recent polls. If all the pollsters were to change methodology to Opinium's revised weightings, perhaps PB JohnsonianTories would be a little less chippy and defensive.
    Except there was another poll literally a few minutes later with the lead at 4%. Of course the truth probably is there has been a smallish swingback to the government for a variety of reasons which may or may not go further. Very difficult to generalise much beyond this. The next GE remains a long way off - a new PM could make a big difference - I do not think Boris can easily win from here and he needs to go regardless. Beyond that all is to play for which is in itself quite remarkable given what the country has bee through. And it's not finished yet.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

But why specifically Z?
    Putin is a fan of the anti hero in Pulp Fiction.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ALERT DO NOT OPEN if you don't want to see extremely distressing photo

Expect more of this for corporations that do not end their business operations in Russia:

https://twitter.com/InnaSovsun/status/1504817244236357634/photo/1
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

The closest US analogue to Putin's war in Ukraine is probably Vietnam, since the indiscriminate mass bombing of civilians has been somewhat less fashionable since then.
    And Nixon's rallies were usually disrupted by anti-war protesters.

I think it's unlikely we'll see anything similar at this one.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

But why specifically Z?
    The Gimp?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

An effective electoral alliance between SLAB and SCON could make a real difference to end the stagnation. I think the SCONS would go for it but SLAB never - their hatred of the Tories trumps their support for the Union.
  • Options

Ukraine gives up Crimea.
    Donbass/Luhansk have their status changed either through autonomy, devolution or referenda.
    Ukraine says it does not intend to join NATO but keeps open the right to join EU, or perhaps commits to not being a full member of the EU but not ruling out some form of closer links.
    Russia recognises Ukraine's right to exist and its right to have its own military.
    Sanctions start to be lifted, with reparations paid to Ukraine out of Russian assets frozen in the West.

Should be do-able quite quickly, think the war is over this time next month. It is a loss for Russia with them achieving virtually nothing they did not have before the (2022) invasion, but enough for Putin to claim a win back home given his control of state media and the false war objectives he told his home audience.
    Nice in theory. Seems to ignore whatever Ukrainians might be thinking at this point, and what momentum swings might happen.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    rcs1000 said:

This is a great thread on why East Ukraine has resisted the Russians, rather than welcoming them as saviours.

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1504103672019513345

Both @NickPalmer and @YBarddCwsc should read it

Both seem rather too keen to cede people and territory to Russia.
  • Options
    TimT said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

But why specifically Z?
    The Gimp?
    Z was the sadist not the gimp.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,644
    Applicant said:

kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Applicant said:

kjh said:

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1504789695330463764

Jacob Rees Mogg reveals the fixed term parliaments act will finally be repealed next week...

Just rejoice at that news....
    Seeing as fixed terms are the norm throughout much of the world including the UK in most, if not all other elections, what is so special in giving the incumbent the right as to when to call election?
    Elements of the British Right are simply obsessed with the FTPA because it had Dave and Nick's fingerprints on it. The fact that it takes power from parliament and gives it back to the executive - something they would normally claim to deplore - doesn't enter their collective imagination.
    No, they're obsessed with FTPA because it was a disaster. Allowing a parliamentary majority to keep a government in office whilst defeating everything it did and denying it an election couldn't possibly be allowed to stand.
    You and I have had this discussion before, and I respect your arguments on this, but I do disagree. True when we were in that position it was a shambles, but that was because it was new to MPs. However what it did give is power back to Parliament and engaged the population. All other Govt we have had have been elected dictatorships. Except for a few exceptions MPs have been powerless.

I would not want a position where a Govt could not fall, but I am happy for Parliament to tell a Govt it is wrong and to change or stand down for another group of MPs to take over the reigns if it can get the support of parliament.

This is of course the norm in many cases in the world.
    They haven't abolished votes of no confidence, so Parliament can still do that.
    But it doesn't does it. No Govt MPs (except in a dire situation) is going to bring down its own Govt. I want MPs to have more power to approve and question decisions of the executive. As it has been the MPs are just useless cannon fodder. Practically every Govt is an elected dictatorship. Parliament has minimal power. They should elect an executive and then hold it to account. Currently they elect the executive but contrary to what they pretend they do not hold it to account.
    I agree, but this is entirely orthogonal to the question of having fixed terms.
    Yes I do seem to have gone off on a tangent, although I do think it is an element of the argument, together with PR and reduced power of the whips.
    I wouldn't disagree. The only problem is that, since a parliament cannot bind its successors, the question only arises when there is a minority government (as a majority government can always just pass a one-clause bill to have an early election and the unelected Lords is never going to vote against there being a general election). and when no alternative government can command a majority (as otherwise the Commons should just change the government).
    I agree.

I wrote several paragraphs in response and just lost the lot using my mobile phone.

As per last time we discussed this I get the impression we agree generally on what we would like to see but not on how to get there.

And of course we are in the classic situation of we wouldn't have chosen to have started here.

We have free and fair elections, after that I am not a fan of the process. I think it is very flawed, resulting in poor govt, regardless of who is in power.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

The closest US analogue to Putin's war in Ukraine is probably Vietnam, since the indiscriminate mass bombing of civilians has been somewhat less fashionable since then.

It literally took years in the US to reach even a significant minority in opposition. Despite a much more open media.
    Interestingly, beyond the usual suspects, it was veterans who pretty much kickstarted it.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,450
    Report in Guardian LiveFeed about Assad's Syrians heading to Ukraine.

Just think about it, Putin is deploying Arab Moslem fighters against a fellow Orthodox Christian country.

Can there really be any peace-deal once they get stuck in?

(And what will the Russian Orthodox Patriarch have to say? I believe he's a Putin man.)

Extract from Guardian:

"After 11 years of war, the destruction of towns, cities and much of the Syrian military, Bashar al-Assad’s army has launched a recruitment drive. But the recruits are not fresh from bootcamps and will not fight on the home front.

"They are the vanguard of what could be the biggest state-backed mercenary force in the world. Within days, Syrian troops could be deployed to the stalled Russian frontlines in Ukraine, where Vladimir Putin is about to extract a lethal price for Moscow’s rescue of the Syrian leader.

"The first Syrian troops to join Putin’s ranks – an advance force of 150 – arrived in Russia on Thursday, European intelligence officials claim. Ukrainian military intelligence, echoing a claim by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, believes 40,000 Syrians have signed up to fight – a figure that would represent a sizeable chunk of the battle-ready capacity of the country’s entire military."
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

I've seen this stated a number of times. I am not a Russian speaker and do not know the Cyrillic alphabet in all its cases and fonts.

But to me, it looked like it was part of the two huge signs behind Putin, in the word Za.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resizer/PakLur0Z_uQjqWNor5q-eS73owM=/1200x0/filters:quality(80):format(webp)/cloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com/tgam/DTVONBTYCFPQRCA4W4H2Q24ZVI.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TimT said:

Ukraine gives up Crimea.

Nice in theory. Seems to ignore whatever Ukrainians might be thinking at this point, and what momentum swings might happen.
    Zelensky has been pointing to similar, as have Russia in their call with Turkey yesterday. Of course it is up to Ukraine, not the West. This is not what I think should happen but what I think will happen. The war is in a costly deadlock, so not expecting game changing momentum swings, no.
  • Options
    *🐎 Update.

Love Alice’s boots!

Aye right to his pre race kisses and cuddles like a man
  • Options

Just think about it, Putin is deploying Arab Moslem fighters against a fellow Orthodox Christian country.

(And what will the Russian Orthodox Patriarch have to say? I believe he's a Putin man.)

Extract from Guardian:

"After 11 years of war, the destruction of towns, cities and much of the Syrian military, Bashar al-Assad’s army has launched a recruitment drive. But the recruits are not fresh from bootcamps and will not fight on the home front.

"They are the vanguard of what could be the biggest state-backed mercenary force in the world. Within days, Syrian troops could be deployed to the stalled Russian frontlines in Ukraine, where Vladimir Putin is about to extract a lethal price for Moscow’s rescue of the Syrian leader.

"The first Syrian troops to join Putin’s ranks – an advance force of 150 – arrived in Russia on Thursday, European intelligence officials claim. Ukrainian military intelligence, echoing a claim by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, believes 40,000 Syrians have signed up to fight – a figure that would represent a sizeable chunk of the battle-ready capacity of the country’s entire military."

The thing is... Russia's problem is not just manpower, but logistics. Throwing soldier in, without the required food, fuel, ammunition, etc., is unlikely to improve the situation for the Russians.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,960
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

But why specifically Z?
    It’s because it’s the first letter of the word Zizi which is French for penis when used by a child and thus “small dick”.

It was chosen carefully so as the Russian soldiers burned to death in their tanks they could see with their last moments the symbol of the man who sent them to die.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    rcs1000 said:

This is a great thread on why East Ukraine has resisted the Russians, rather than welcoming them as saviours.

For those that don't want to read all the thread

Those in East Ukraine would prefer their area not to become the robber baron basket case that Donbass has become.
  • Options
    felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

An effective electoral alliance between SLAB and SCON could make a real difference to end the stagnation. I think the SCONS would go for it but SLAB never - their hatred of the Tories trumps their support for the Union.
    Not a good idea.

Much better for them to concentrate in their respective areas of strength and squeeze SNP from both sides.

The only possible alternative ScotGov would be Labour/LibDem with SCON supporting on a supply/confidence basis. We're a very long way from that, though.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

A [edit] significant proportion of Slab voters are pro-indy or at least sympathetic. Means that an electoral alliance would be a repeat of 2014-2015 as far as Labour is concerned. Front for the Tories = end up as their penal battalions.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Not a tip, I'm a flat fan, but you have to bet on the GC so ...

Protektorat at 13s.
  • Options
    ‘NEWSWEEK ON RUSSIAN INTELLIGENCE DOCUMENT: CHINA HAS PLANS TO INVADE TAIWAN NEXT FALL - AJA’

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1504840331539501057?s=21
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.
    That SNP MSP should thank herself lucky she got her independence referendum in 2014 and Boris unlike Putin did not send in the armed forces to bring her nation firmly back within the bosom of the mother country.

Oh, I see now. Your account is a spoof. I fear this post went a bit too far.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Leon said:

‘NEWSWEEK ON RUSSIAN INTELLIGENCE DOCUMENT: CHINA HAS PLANS TO INVADE TAIWAN NEXT FALL - AJA’

It probably also has plans to invade Taiwan this fall, and the previous one.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

A [edit] significant proportion of Slab voters are pro-indy or at least sympathetic. Means that an electoral alliance would be a repeat of 2014-2015 as far as Labour is concerned. Front for the Tories = end up as their penal battalions.
    There appear to be only four possible flavours for governance in Scotland.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

The last is effectively not possible right now under Boris etc. Unionists only hope for deposing the SNP therefore is Lab/LDem.
  • Options

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Not a good idea.

Much better for them to concentrate in their respective areas of strength and squeeze SNP from both sides.

The only possible alternative ScotGov would be Labour/LibDem with SCON supporting on a supply/confidence basis. We're a very long way from that, though.
    Wouldn't work either - SNP are to the left of SLAB which is a rather right wing holdout in the current UK Labour Party (from which, always remember, they are not legally separate). SLAB are pro Trident, pro Union, their boss was the opponent of the trade union cvandidate last time, etc. If anyone is squeezed it would be Slab.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/scotland2021
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yep. And I suspect the same occurs to you, but with a hint of despair and terror
    I may soon be an old man but not one in a hurry, and I’m pretty copacetic about the inevitability of Indy, before or after divvie. Besides once the smoke clears you’ll be living in Oz being helped on and off the commode by your Scotch house boy Eabhal.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Extract from Guardian:

The thing is... Russia's problem is not just manpower, but logistics. Throwing soldier in, without the required food, fuel, ammunition, etc., is unlikely to improve the situation for the Russians.
    I presume Russia is running out of troops who can actually attack as opposed yo advance, defend or occupy.

The casualties they have suffered will probably be from their best troops which they desperarly need to replace.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

The last is effectively not possible right now under Boris etc. Unionists only hope for deposing the SNP therefore is Lab/LDem.
    You win a coconut. Or at least a Bounty. That last is precisely what the Scottish Parlaiment voting system was fiddled by Dewar and Wallace etc to set in concrete forever.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Russians attempt to get the US to concentrate on China/Taiwan and not on Ukraine, shocker.
  • Options

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Not a good idea.

Well duh - that is really what an 'alliance' would actually do in practice. However, Labour would not play because they prefer and SNP majority government to the notion of giving the tories any seats in Scotland. This is why the Union is probably doomed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The PRC has had plans to invade Taiwan for 73 years and counting. The Taiwanese have plans to defend for just as long.
    This isn't a secret.
    And yet it never seems to happen.
  • Options

Extract from Guardian:

It also severely raises the chance of a Russian mutiny

Say you’re a young white Slavic Christian Russian conscript. Putin is asking you to risk your life and ally with 40,000 dark Muslim not-Russian speaking foreigners - to kill your white Christian Slavic Russian-speaking brothers and sisters in Ukraine

It’s a desperately risky gamble
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Not a good idea.

Wouldn't work either - SNP are to the left of SLAB which is a rather right wing holdout in the current UK Labour Party (from which, always remember, they are not legally separate). SLAB are pro Trident, pro Union, their boss was the opponent of the trade union cvandidate last time, etc. If anyone is squeezed it would be Slab.

Isn’t it all a lot simpler than that? We’ve seen this before in Ireland. The SNP will dominate until independence happens, and then likely split, unless there’s a step change in desire for independence or a second indie party at scale formed out of a split (“Alba” in different circumstances with different personnel). A second indie party wouldn’t change anything about the relationship with London.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Is Newsweek the publication that bas dropped off a cliff into full MAGAville
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    felix said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Not a good idea.

Well duh - that is really what an 'alliance' would actually do in practice. However, Labour would not play because they prefer and SNP majority government to the notion of giving the tories any seats in Scotland. This is why the Union is probably doomed.
    Not actually the case. Slab hate the SNP far, far more than the Tories. They were only too happy to ally with the Tories in 2014. That's why they were so shcoked, as well as the ScoTories, when SKS came up to Scotland and started attacking the Tories.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

I think that is right but for Labour the Tories are the main enemy - hence the Union is probably doomed. As are any LD hopes of gaining PR in Westminster from cooperation with Labour - it's never going to happen.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

You win a coconut. Or at least a Bounty. That last is precisely what the Scottish Parlaiment voting system was fiddled by Dewar and Wallace etc to set in concrete forever.
    A system that should be reformed.
    I don’t want a bounty, but my simple point often seems lost on commentators and even activists in Scotland, as far as I can tell.

Lab/Lib co-operation unlocks several critical issues across the UK, including “devo-max” in Scotland.

I hope there are smart people working on this stuff, but somehow I doubt it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    In Rachel we trust!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Extract from Guardian:

Say you’re a young white Slavic Christian Russian conscript. Putin is asking you to risk your life and ally with 40,000 dark Muslim not-Russian speaking foreigners - to kill your white Christian Slavic Russian-speaking brothers and sisters in Ukraine

There are plenty of Christians in Syria. Unlike those that we would like to put into power in Syria, the current regime is tolerant enough for the President to attend Easter prayers in the Orthodox Church.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

I don't support an electoral alliance between Slab or the Tories although 2021 showed how one was unnecessary. I think SLab still using negative economic better together arguments as opposed to emotional arguments is problematic although it was good to see even Jackie Baillie disown Better Together recently.

I sort of feel that things will sort themselves how somehow if Starmer were to come PM. I think Labour would need to make a reasonable offer to rhe SNP on constitutional matters but that the SNP shouldn't dictate the terms of a 2nd referendum like they did the first one. It should also only be a last resort and should not be run like the first one. There are certain scenarios where I would support a referendum to ratify a 60-40 result either way with proper planning done but otherwise I'm no longer that keen.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Extract from Guardian:

And a mercenary bought for a price by one buyer can be bought for a higher price by another ...
  • Options
    Leon said:

I see the calm, non panicking Leon of yesterday was a one off. With all the womanising, drinking and travelling I don't know where you get the time to panic so.
  • Options
    ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.
  • Options
    In Rachel we trust. :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Vladimir Putin would be handed an “effective veto over democracy” in Scotland if indyref2 was delayed by the Ukraine invasion, the SNP has said.

The comments come in response to The Scotsman’s exclusive poll which showed the majority of Scots wish to see discussions around indyref2 stop due to the ongoing conflict.

It also gave a small lead for No when undecideds are excluded, with the vote split 52/48 in favour of unionists.

I am surprised a majority think a delay should occur because of Ukraine given we have no idea how long the conflict will last
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Extract from Guardian:

And a mercenary bought for a price by one buyer can be bought for a higher price by another ...
    Not me - once bought I stay bought, cause I'm honourable.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Not a good idea.

You're possibly correct. A notable development (perhaps the only one) since Nicola took over from Salmond has been the SNP's sharp move to the left. Salmond was always keen to keep links open to business and, perhaps because he was based in the NE, was more alert to the fact that there actually are right-of-centre voters in Scotland and he needed some of them for the Indy voter coalition. Nicola's strategy is to consolidate on the Left and kill off SLAB while co-opting the Greens. Maybe she's right.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.
    More than a decent Festival for your tips :)
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,508
    "Ah, I see, sorry. The House terms are set at 2 years by article 1 of the Constitution, and Senate terms at 6 years by the Seventeenth Amendment."

The 17th Amendment provides for direct election of senators. Previously they had been chosen by state legislatures. The 6 years is in Article 1, and was not changed by the amendment. (There was an initial establishment of three "classes" of senators, so only a third of them are up for election every two years.)

(A corrupt senator from Pennsylvania, Boies Penrose, was delighted by the change to direct elections, since he thought that the public would vote for him, in spite of his record, but the legislature wouldn't.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

You are a disgrace to the conservative party - shame on you
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,726

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.
    Could have got 4.9 at one stage in-running (BF). I just missed it.

Well done.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

It literally took years in the US to reach even a significant minority in opposition. Despite a much more open media.
    Interestingly, beyond the usual suspects, it was veterans who pretty much kickstarted it.
    80k stadia rallying in favour of mass bombing were pretty rare at the start, too.
    It's not a direct comparison, obviously - just the nearest I can think of.

Iraq 2 also, perhaps ?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

I don’t want a bounty, but my simple point often seems lost on commentators and even activists in Scotland, as far as I can tell.

Lab/Lib co-operation unlocks several critical issues across the UK, including “devo-max” in Scotland.

Trouble is that the LDs are the 5th party at Holyrood these days. Not a lot of coconuts to add to the pile there. Very different from the days of Dewar and Wallace.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    rcs1000 said:

That is a very good thread.

I will come back to my earlier suggestion, the UK and other nations, should allow any of there serving solders to take a 'sabbatical', take of there Uniforms and hand back ID cards and so on, and go to Ukraine for 3 months or 6 months or whatever. How many would go? I don't know probably less than 1%, but that's still close to 1,000 maybe more if some came form TA and other services.

Would 1,000 or so additional well trained and motivated solgers it make a difference, yes, it may or may not change outcome on the battle field. but more likely it would show Russia/Putin that we the UK/West are serous about standing with Ukraine, and might make him keen to agree some form of peace, before they get out there.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    In German political news, Oskar Lafontaine left die Linke yesterday and die Linke is in danger of falling below 5% in next Sunday's Landtagswahl in Saarland which would be a catastrophic result for the die Linke
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Stocky said:

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.

Well done.
    I’m astonished people bet in-running, off course. Surely the on-course punters have the market stitched up?
  • Options
    Applicant said:

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.
    More than a decent Festival for your tips :)
    And Ping. Friday belongs to Ping.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Stocky said:

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.

Well done.
    Ever since season bow at Haydock when A plus Tard was in parade ring and the others approaching last fence, this was always on my mind.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

In German political news, Oskar Lafontaine left die Linke yesterday and die Linke is in danger of falling below 5% in next Sunday's Landtagswahl in Saarland which would be a catastrophic result for the die Linke

I recognise the name Oskar Lafontaine, but not sure why, was he there party leader?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

Do you think that perhaps maybe @HYUFD is sometimes seeking to wind up posters on occasion? 😊
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

Trouble is that the LDs are the 5th party at Holyrood these days. Not a lot of coconuts to add to the pile there. Very different from the days of Dewar and Wallace.
    Every penny counts, as if were.

The LDs primary enemy is the Cons, they need to take Con share.

SLAB need to focus on the SNP and to some extent the Greens.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

Do you think that perhaps maybe @HYUFD is sometimes seeking to wind up posters on occasion? 😊
    Sadly no
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

"Ah, I see, sorry. The House terms are set at 2 years by article 1 of the Constitution, and Senate terms at 6 years by the Seventeenth Amendment."

The 17th Amendment provides for direct election of senators. Previously they had been chosen by state legislatures. The 6 years is in Article 1, and was not changed by the amendment. (There was an initial establishment of three "classes" of senators, so only a third of them are up for election every two years.)

(A corrupt senator from Pennsylvania, Boies Penrose, was delighted by the change to direct elections, since he thought that the public would vote for him, in spite of his record, but the legislature wouldn't.)

True. I could have written "Article 1 as amended by the Seventeenth Amendment" but wanted to be concise...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nuremberg, much?

80k stadia rallying in favour of mass bombing were pretty rare at the start, too.
    It's not a direct comparison, obviously - just the nearest I can think of.

Iraq 2 also, perhaps ?
    My comment, and the one that preceded it, were about the style of the rally, not the existence of it.
  • Options
    ping said:

Stocky said:

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.

Well done.
    I’m astonished people bet in-running, off course.
    I don't as a rule, but the winner and Galvin were side by side a third or so into the race and BF for a few seconds went 3.9 Galvin and 4.9 A Plus Tard for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Very good. If Ukraine does end up giving up on Donbas or Gods forbid even more territory as a matter of military necessity, that would not make the cavalier suggestion of it, or some plebiscite in a wrecked environment, as if a simple or reasonable offer less casual and flippant.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

Does that not depend on whether internal Epping conservative members polling shows they favour such trolling by 38% to 35% or vice versa?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

I am surprised a majority think a delay should occur because of Ukraine given we have no idea how long the conflict will last
    Maybe that's the point?
  • Options

Stocky said:

ping said:

In Rachel we trust!

PING WE HAVE A WINNER.

Well done.
    Ever since season bow at Haydock when A plus Tard was in parade ring and the others approaching last fence, this was always on my mind.
    I'm not a racing man but on the occasions that I've bet on Cheltenham I've been lucky to get a single winner over the whole of the meeting, but you've aced it this week. I'm slightly up (following you) but missed your best winner unfortunately.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

You really have lost the plot. That is if you ever had it in the first place.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

Every penny counts, as if were.

The LDs primary enemy is the Cons, they need to take Con share.

SLAB need to focus on the SNP and to some extent the Greens.
    Hmm, Slab are so right wing they maybe need to focus on the LDs.

Trouble is that if Slab focus on the SNP and Greens they shed voters becayse those two are pro-indy parties.

No easy answer. Especially because it depends what HQ is saying in London.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

That is an appalling thing to say. Lots of people are dying in Ukraine. You treat other people's lives as if they are nothing. I wonder how brave you would be if you were in the frontline rather than sitting behind your computer.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649
    Leon said:

Extract from Guardian:

Meanwhile...Turkish backed Syrian opposition forces, now's your chance.
    And anti-Kadyrov Chechens
    And maybe South Ossetia and Abkhazia might fancy coming back into Georgian hands
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

Brightened my day.

I know right? And yet everyone still clutches their pearls, aghast.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

Ukraine gives up Crimea.

The trouble is that whilst that may bring an end to this episode it will encourage Putin into further adventures in places like Central Asia. I think that would be as bad, in its way, as the Versaille solution.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Constituency:

Regional:

Yeah, maybe.

SNP alone
    SNP/Green
    Lab/LDem
    Con/LDem

Given the percentage is like Wales seems like they've been remarkably vote efficient to hold on to as many MSPs and MPs as they have, but that leaves them very vulnerable.
This discussion has been closed.