Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the Shrewsbury MP retain his seat at the next election? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited March 2022 in General
Will the Shrewsbury MP retain his seat at the next election? – politicalbetting.com

Daniel Kawczy?ski MP, 2017, defending RT from criticism by Boris Johnson and insisting – in a live from St Petersburg, Russia – that MPs of all colours should keep engaging with the RT as the integrity of their journalists is as important to them as to those of the BBC. https://t.co/0ap11EWEdQ pic.twitter.com/QvAzvBEjbJ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    hope not
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    QTWTAIY
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

QTWTAIY

Probably right. The one thing we have learned about the tory party this year is that they do not recognise the concept of unforgivable behaviour in their lords and masters.

ETA on reflection, not sure what the question is here. Are we asking about deselection by the CP or being booted out by dem voters?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    Was this the wanker with the ludicrously expensive Polish lessons? He's exactly the type gammons like so Johnson will die on a cross for him.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    What were his comments about Ukrainian refugees?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

"British left-wing parties demand Britain takes in more Ukrainian refugees.

"This is illiterate and immoral. When war is over Ukrainians will need to return home to rebuild their country.

"We should be supporting Ukrainian refugees in frontline states like Poland and Romania."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukraine-refugees-tory-mp-daniel-kawczynski-b2035966.html

• Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    Sadly, he will probably retain his seat at the next election unless Labour gets 300+ seats. On the other hand if boundary changes go through, a Labour gain becomes a bit more likely as some Tory villages would be taken out.

Labour would probably be odds on in a by election though but I don't expect one to happen.

To win the seat , Labour would need to match their 2001 vote of 45% and win over middle class Tory voters directly in parts of the seat like Meole Village.

In conclusion I would expect him to hold on with a slashed majority but it is one of Labour's better prospects in the West Midlands if Labour were to get anywhere near a majority.
  • Options
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    *Betting Post 🐎 Day 4 update

Non runners coming in all the time, but not as yet affected Malcs or my tips.

Here’s Malcs

My nags for today. Good luck to everybody
    EW Patent
    Suprise Package 14:10 Cheltenham
    Galvin 15:30 Cheltenham
    Bob And Co 16:10 Cheltenham

EW Single
    Bob And Co 16:10 Cheltenham

Here’s mine

13:30 Porticello

14:10 Tritonic

14:50 Ballygrifincottage

15:30 A Plus Tard

And EW on Aye Right 15:30

Whatever you are on today, best of luck.
  • Options
    Worth noting. He's lost two very Tory wards under the boundary review, presumably the Atcham bit.
    EC makes the new Shrewsbury seat a toss-up right now.
    So not entirely impossible. But it would have to be a good Labour night.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    I do a lot of interviews. This one with leading Kremlin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky was as chilling as it was compelling. I keep turning it over in my mind & thought I'd do a short thread on it (with a link at end) 1/ https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1504585916043649024
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286

Sadly, I am also on Aye Right...
  • Options
    Mmm.
    When you're having to clarify your remarks you aren't winning.
    However. His original comments represent a significant strand of thinking regarding refugees, not one represented widely in front line politics as far as Ukrainians are concerned.
    For some, keeping folk out is THE most important thing.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    Shropshire competes very hard with Northamptonshire for the county with the rummest bunch of Tory MPs.

Nominations welcome for areas with rum bunches of Labour MPs!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    Morning all.

Yes to this:
    At a time like this when the narrative is so much against Putin’s Russia it takes a very brave, or foolhardy, Westminster Tory MP to question the actions of his government.

However, the clip is from 2017, is it not? 5 years ago.

So the MP for Shrewsbury is not defending RT "at a time like this", and the implication does not stand up.

Unless I have missed something (?)
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Shropshire competes very hard with Northamptonshire for the county with the rummest bunch of Tory MPs.

Liverpool

London
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mmm.
    However. His original comments represent a significant strand of thinking regarding refugees, not one represented widely in front line politics as far as Ukrainians are concerned.

His argument is that Zelensky wants people to stay in Ukraine.
  • Options
    So sayeth the Daniel: "British left wing parties demand Britain takes in more Ukrainian refugees. This is illiterate and immoral. When war is over Ukrainians will need to return home to rebuild their country. We should be supporting Ukrainian refugees in frontline states like Poland and Romania."

Lets hope he gets ousted. For him to remain an MP would be illiterate and immoral.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,221
    Pro_Rata said:

Leicester's not had a good run. Vaz and Webbe.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Sadly, I am also on Aye Right...
    Not to worry😂 checking todays runners it was in my notebook

I have a tenner each way on Aye at 80-1. On my win bet A Plus Tard rides away from Malcs Galvin 🏆
  • Options
    MattW said:

Morning all.

Yes to this:
    At a time like this when the narrative is so much against Putin’s Russia it takes a very brave, or foolhardy, Westminster Tory MP to question the actions of his government.

So the MP for Shrewsbury is not defending RT "at a time like this", and the implication does not stand up.

Yes.
    Although there are plenty of others taking flak for their past support of RT.
    So I don't see why he should get a pass.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Out of context my arse. Is he "illiterate" as well as "immoral"? How many refugees does he think "frontline states like Poland and Romania" can take?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Mmm.

His argument is that Zelensky wants people to stay in Ukraine.
    But they aren't.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    IshmaelZ said:

Pro_Rata said:

Liverpool

London
    London has loads of MPs though, so bound to be a fun selection. Care to narrow it down to a "cluster"?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

Yes to this:

Yes.
    What has changed in the last 5 years to make RT suddenly more complicit in promoting Kremlin propaganda? Thats quite literally its function and always has been!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    IshmaelZ said:

Pro_Rata said:

Liverpool

London
    Glasgow

Oh.
  • Options
    On this topic. I suspect there will be much constituency value at the next election in places which have kept part of their name, but have radically different boundaries.
    The iconic Tory win of Blyth Valley for example. Blyth and Ashington looks nailed on Labour. It is the Labour bit of BV and the Labour bit of Wansbeck. I reckon less clued up punters might suspect it isn't.
  • Options
    OT (before we get into the political mudwrestle).

I note that I have a couple of hundred in my Nakes WIne account.

Can anyone make any current interesting recommendations?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

Pro_Rata said:

Leicester's not had a good run. Vaz and Webbe.
    And for a bipartisan example, I would nominate Peterborough.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Re the Future of Tanks debate FPT

Yes, some tanks will still perform a lot better than the T72s in Ukraine. But the trajectory of modern warfare is clear. Cheaper missiles and unmanned drones spell the end of tanks-driven-by-soldiers, as we know them

Drones by themselves are going to transform warfare completely. Why risk a human life (and spend all that money training a pilot who is not easily replaced if he dies) when you can send up
    a much cheaper drone which can fly for 36 hours non-stop

In the future, AI, drones and robots will do all the fighting for us
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    MattW said:

Morning all.

Yes to this:

My main issue with him is his shilling for Saudi Arabia. Even Stephen Kinnock was saying RT shouldn't be banned after Salisbury happened although things have changed now.

MPs from most parties have appeared on RT more than once.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited March 2022
    Just had a few quid on @MoonRabbit ’s nags. Very long odds today!

And a 50/1 Acca. For fun;

1.30 Vauban
    2.10 State Man
    3.30 A Plus Tard

Don’t waste your money backing my tips, btw. Unlike politics betting, I don’t have an edge in horse racing.

Good luck all!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

MattW said:

Morning all.

Yes to this:

Yes.
    What has changed in the last 5 years to make RT suddenly more complicit in promoting Kremlin propaganda? Thats quite literally its function and always has been!
    I don't have the foggiest idea. If it puts up with Salmond, then probably not very much.

But it seemed worth noting the slip in the header.
  • Options
    Are any of the young Tory MPs actually any good? They either seem hopeless, corrupt, stupid or all of the previous
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    Leon said:

Yes, some tanks will still perform a lot better than the T72s in Ukraine. But the trajectory of modern warfare is clear. Cheaper missiles and unmanned drones spell the end of tanks-driven-by-soldiers, as we know them

Drones by themselves are going to transform warfare completely. Why risk a human life (and spend all that money training a pilot who is not easily replaced if he dies) when you can send up

It seems to me that it then becomes absolutely clear that all wars are purely about the economic attrition, devastation of infrastructure, the ability to produce and bring the drones and robots into the battlezone, and the level of civilian casualties that are tolerated by belligerents.

I think therefore that you are right.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

"This is illiterate and immoral. When war is over Ukrainians will need to return home to rebuild their country.

"We should be supporting Ukrainian refugees in frontline states like Poland and Romania."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ukraine-refugees-tory-mp-daniel-kawczynski-b2035966.html

He’s got a point, tho. It will be a catastrophe for Ukraine - greater than any war - if it loses 5m of its people. Especially as they will tend to be the younger and more mobile. And kids

The further they go from Ukraine and the better educated they are, the less likely they are to ever return.

I’m not saying this because I want to keep the Ukes out. 500,000 hard working young Ukrainians, permanently settled here, would be great for the UK

But a disaster for Ukraine
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tbf it always was someone or something else that was going to do the fighting for us.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Leon said:

Sounds like the Star Trek Episode 'A taste of Armageddon'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

A great episode, in that trying to removal the 'actual' terror of War just makes it even more terrible.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,585
    NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h
    #Russia's Foreign Minister #Lavrov threatens that all transporters that may bring weapons to #Ukraine will be declared military targets.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv
  • Options
    MattW said:

I've enjoyed buckets of this

https://www.nakedwines.com/products/simpsons-of-barham-court-beora-2018

and interested to try this

https://www.nakedwines.com/products/simpsons-of-servian-blanc-de-blancs-2020
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Are any of the young Tory MPs actually any good? They either seem hopeless, corrupt, stupid or all of the previous

To be fair, no different from a lot of the older ones right now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    FPT:

The Ukrainian defence ministry says in its daily update on Facebook that an estimated 14,200 Russian soldiers have been killed since the conflict began.

US officials said on Thursday the number of Russian casualties could well be over 7,000, with up to 14,000 injured.

Among other damage inflicted on Russian armaments and vehicles, Ukraine claims its forces have also taken down:

450 tanks
    93 aircraft
    112 helicopters
    and disabled 43 anti-aircraft systems.

May be rubbish. But Russia isn't giving us their figures to compare against. No update on their near 500 killed issued 2 weeks ago. You can perhaps still infer from their silence they are quite horrible.

Compare with D-Day: Omaha beach, where 2,000 U.S. troops were killed, wounded or went missing; at Sword Beach and Gold Beach, where 2,000 British troops were killed, wounded or went missing; and at Juno beach, where 340 Canadian soldiers were killed and another 574 wounded.
  • Options

Leon said:

Sounds like the Star Trek Episode 'A taste of Armageddon'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

A great episode, in that trying to removal the 'actual' terror of War just makes it even more terrible.
    Yes, the mixing of AI, war and modern weapons has some scary implications in itself. But it is coming
  • Options
    edited March 2022

MattW said:

Morning all.

Yes to this:

My main issue with him is his shilling for Saudi Arabia. Even Stephen Kinnock was saying RT shouldn't be banned after Salisbury happened although things have changed now.

MPs from most parties have appeared on RT more than once.
    He blocked me for mentioning the his paid for enthusiasm for SA in a tweet to him then rather weirdly unblocked me about a year ago. I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box and is also a bit eccentric, so probably in the cabinet next reshuffle round.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    Leon said:

But if you have entrenched soldiers in a defensive position, you will still need tanks and other armoured vehicles to break that defence.

So in order to protect that armour from drones people will develop anti-drone drones, or more lightweight anti-aircraft missiles suitable for taking out drones rather than jet aircraft, or various other measures.

If there are no tanks or armoured vehicles how do you move infantry around? And if you can't move infantry around then you can't occupy territory.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    RobD said:

The MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme is a pretty good egg.
    There are always the odd exceptions that break the general rule...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h
    #Russia's Foreign Minister #Lavrov threatens that all transporters that may bring weapons to #Ukraine will be declared military targets.

OK cool so if the Russians bomb a lorry on the Polish side of the border, what do we reckon Biden does?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

He’s got a point, tho. It will be a catastrophe for Ukraine - greater than any war - if it loses 5m of its people. Especially as they will tend to be the younger and more mobile. And kids

The further they go from Ukraine and the better educated they are, the less likely they are to ever return.

I’m not saying this because I want to keep the Ukes out. 500,000 hard working young Ukrainians, permanently settled here, would be great for the UK

But a disaster for Ukraine
    Yes. Brain drains on Russia are highly popular here, but Ukraine is getting brain drained too.

But sensitive area, because the right answer and the xenophobic one happen to coincide
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    https://twitter.com/belstaffie/status/1504775031360036867?s=21

Wayne Couzens charged with 4 more offences.

In a "No Shit, Sherlock" moment it turns out that men who indecently expose themselves are a risk to others.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    eek said:

RobD said:

I think for the most part MPs (on all sides) aren't hopeless, corrupt or stupid, and actually go into politics to try to make a difference.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

But if you have entrenched soldiers in a defensive position, you will still need tanks and other armoured vehicles to break that defence.

So in order to protect that armour from drones people will develop anti-drone drones, or more lightweight anti-aircraft missiles suitable for taking out drones rather than jet aircraft, or various other measures.

If there are no tanks or armoured vehicles how do you move infantry around? And if you can't move infantry around then you can't occupy territory.
    Answer: no one will occupy anywhere

Occupations are usually bad, sometimes catastrophic.

Far better to bully your enemy into willing submission, at a distance

This is what China does. It has risen to global pre-eminence, since the 80s, without invading or occupying any territory. Contrast with the calamitous, ruinous Russian and American occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq

China seized Hong Kong (admittedly a special case) without firing a shot. They just menaced it until it yielded. They will try the same with Taiwan
  • Options

FPT:

The Ukrainian defence ministry says in its daily update on Facebook that an estimated 14,200 Russian soldiers have been killed since the conflict began.

US officials said on Thursday the number of Russian casualties could well be over 7,000, with up to 14,000 injured.

Among other damage inflicted on Russian armaments and vehicles, Ukraine claims its forces have also taken down:

450 tanks
    93 aircraft
    112 helicopters
    and disabled 43 anti-aircraft systems.

May be rubbish. But Russia isn't giving us their figures to compare against. No update on their near 500 killed issued 2 weeks ago. You can perhaps still infer from their silence they are quite horrible.

Compare with D-Day: Omaha beach, where 2,000 U.S. troops were killed, wounded or went missing; at Sword Beach and Gold Beach, where 2,000 British troops were killed, wounded or went missing; and at Juno beach, where 340 Canadian soldiers were killed and another 574 wounded.

In the 35 days between the 19th February and 26th March 1945, ~6,000 US Marines were KIA, and 21,000 wounded, missing, captured, on Iwo Jima. This would seem at least comparably bloody for the Russians.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

I think for the most part MPs (on all sides) aren't hopeless, corrupt or stupid, and actually go into politics to try to make a difference.
    I think you are right. I think many MPs across the political divide, are merely guilty of being a member of the opposing party and thus guilty by default.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited March 2022
    RobD said:

As I said at the time, he miscalculated.

He’s burnt his bridges with Boris, for no gain. And his constituency will be bottom of the list, when the “levelling up” pork gets dished out.

A good MP is sober and calculating about his Constituents interests.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704
    Pro_Rata said:

Vote for Galahad Threepwood.

Now L Pidcock has no seat, and tragically has suggested she is finished as Labour MP material, we shall have to search around for the dottiest Labour MPs. The good news is she is still on Twitter, and still priceless.

if you hunt around you will find that she is dimly aware there is a war on in Europe and that NATO is entirely to blame.

Lavery and Burgon are still pulling their dotty weight.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,674

The MP for Newcastle-under-Lyme seems decent.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

That is very true.
    Trouble is many soon discover they aren't making much headway with that attitude.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

That is very true.
    Trouble is many soon discover they aren't making much headway with that attitude.
    And then they become corrupt or somehow become stupid? I think it's more likely that they would just give up.
  • Options
    cdowsecdowse Posts: 1
    boundary changes makes Shrewsbury a possible/probable Labour gain https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Shrewsbury
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

OK cool so if the Russians bomb a lorry on the Polish side of the border, what do we reckon Biden does?

Have a nap
  • Options
    cdowse said:

boundary changes makes Shrewsbury a possible/probable Labour gain https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Shrewsbury

Welcome.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

That is very true.
    And then they become corrupt or somehow become stupid? I think it's more likely that they would just give up.
    Disillusioned I would say.
    And therefore lazy. Going through the motions, parotting the Party line and collecting the salary in their usually safe seat. And finding "interesting" other sources of income.
    It's human nature I'm afraid.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

I cant see even the Russian military being that stupid. Seen what happens if you take down a ship/plane of a nation currently holding back?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Aren't the calculations here the same as with air power, but with the differences that:
    Drones are cheaper than jets.
    Drones require less training than jet aircraft.
    Consequently there will be more drones than jets, making them harder to defend against.

In WWII we saw that bombing alone was not sufficient to cause populations to surrender (with the exception of the nuclear bomb). This was repeated again and again. At some point you have to send the infantry in.

So it would seem that, just as an army would want to establish air superiority in order to protect itself from attack from the air, it will also need to establish drone superiority.

This will be harder, but not fundamentally different.
  • Options
    ping said:

RobD said:

He’s burnt his bridges with Boris, for no gain. And his constituency will be bottom of the list, when the “levelling up” pork gets dished out.

I disagree. I thought he spoke up for us the people, and that’s got to count for something.
  • Options

All parties have their share of such mps
  • Options
    ping said:

RobD said:

Unfortunate for him but sometimes the truth must be said. If the PM would rather screw the MP and lose the seat that doesnt speak to his consideration of interests. And being led by a PM who would do that is not in their interests either.
  • Options
    MattW said:

No, but I am glad to know I am not the only PBer using them.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

War will become a giant game of battleship.
  • Options

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

IF it happened then NFZ west of the Dneiper I reckon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

War will become a giant game of battleship.
    Pretty much, yes
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    On topic. If there was any justice then both Kawczynski and Edward Leigh would lose their seats. Sadly I am not holding my breath on that.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

Any attack on a NATO member is an attack on all members. If Poland is attacked we should start shooting Russian planes out of the sky.
  • Options

Yes, but it doesn't mean all have an equal proportion of them.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    kle4 said:

ping said:

RobD said:

Unfortunate for him but sometimes the truth must be said. If the PM would rather screw the MP and lose the seat that doesnt speak to his consideration of interests. And being led by a PM who would do that is not in their interests either.
    I very much doubt Newcastle-under-Lyme will lose out. In any event it's an integral part of the Potteries which now contains 3 other marginal Tory-held seats in Stoke-on-Trent.
  • Options

I agree. It’s the ones in safe seats who have been there years, we should look to for senior political leadership, who shout “object” and laugh having killed a bill to prevent upskirting who are the problem.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

That is very true.
    And therefore lazy. Going through the motions, parotting the Party line and collecting the salary in their usually safe seat. And finding "interesting" other sources of income.
    Yes I think so. Its easy to let the culture wear you down even if you dont go full corruption, and you can justify it as doing no worse than others.
  • Options

Oliver Alexander
    @OAlexanderDK
    ·
    8m
    Another odd touch and go/go-around by a Rossiya Special Flight Squadron aircraft today. RSD77 flew from Moscow to Yekaterinburg and now it appears to Saint Petersburg.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1504787274843762690
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    Leon said:

So the casualties will increasingly be all civilian? The dark kudos that War still has would be diminished by this. Nothing clever or complicated or noble here. It'd look more like what it essentially is - premeditated mass murder.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,674

ping said:

RobD said:

I disagree. I thought he spoke up for us the people, and that’s got to count for something.
    One would hope so. Depends a lot on what the Conservatives decide to do with Boris. If they dump him, @Tissue_Price is a prophet and his career should profit from that. If they cling to Bozza, he will be a prophet without honour, which is a shame.

(But there is a real problem for the Conservatives here. Labour have moved on from Corbyn with remarkable speed. Bozza has done a much more effective job of remaking the Conservatives in his own ghastly image.)
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1504755525774462976

Labour seems to have extended its lead back up to around 6 points.
  • Options

On topic. If there was any justice then both Kawczynski and Edward Leigh would lose their seats. Sadly I am not holding my breath on that.

This is where STV would be an aid to the voters. Tory voters in the constituencies held by those MPs would have several different Tory candidates to choose between and could rank them, so that the voters would be able to choose candidates who were more like Aaron Bell and less like Kawczynski (if the voters wished).

It makes it so much easier for the voters to weed out poor MPs who would otherwise have safe seats.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    kle4 said:

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

I cant see even the Russian military being that stupid. Seen what happens if you take down a ship/plane of a nation currently holding back?
    NATO should not escalate in this conflict but if we want to stop Russia escalating we need to be clear we will apply whatever they do to them. So if they attack NATO vehicles in Ukraine, we should attack Russian vehicles in Ukraine.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

I agree. It’s the ones in safe seats who have been there years, we should look to for senior political leadership, who shout “object” and laugh having killed a bill to prevent upskirting who are the problem.
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-09-05/debates/8318AB10-5160-49BF-9D8F-0C916C75EBE8/Voyeurism(Offences)(No2)Bill#contribution-BC126057-D8F9-40F2-9F61-2AF5D4ED7759

Well worth reading in full.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

That is very true.
    Yes I think so. Its easy to let the culture wear you down even if you dont go full corruption, and you can justify it as doing no worse than others.
    It is the Party line which makes them appear stupid too. Defending the indefensible is simply an easier life. It's the two Party system at work.
    We see it on here, too.
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (-)
    CON: 33% (-)
    LDEM: 10% (-)
    GRN: 7% (-)
    REF: 4% (-)

via @YouGov
    Chgs. w/ 08 Mar

If the Tories can't get ahead during a war, when can they?
  • Options

This is where STV would be an aid to the voters. Tory voters in the constituencies held by those MPs would have several different Tory candidates to choose between and could rank them, so that the voters would be able to choose candidates who were more like Aaron Bell and less like Kawczynski (if the voters wished).

It makes it so much easier for the voters to weed out poor MPs who would otherwise have safe seats.
    That only works if the parties put up enough candidates.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704
    Aslan said:

NEXTA
    @nexta_tv
    ·
    2h

Any attack on a NATO member is an attack on all members. If Poland is attacked we should start shooting Russian planes out of the sky.
    It is no accident that Russia is as careful not to engage with NATO as NATO is ditto. The caution is not just on our side. Neither side has a clue what the other would do. perhaps because they don't know themselves.

The place not to be is Moldova, Georgia, Finland etc

• Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I do a lot of interviews. This one with leading Kremlin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky was as chilling as it was compelling. I keep turning it over in my mind & thought I'd do a short thread on it (with a link at end) 1/ https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1504585916043649024

He’s certainly right about the Fascism.

It’s a perpetual debate: “what is Fascism”. There are no foundational texts which tell you “How to be a Fascist” (unlike Marxism, capitalism or Christianity)

So Fascism is more easily observed than described. And Putin is a Fascist
    Has any regime ever explicitly called itself fascist? It is surely just a boo word meaning totalitarian state not adhering to a doctrine like Marxism or Maoism
  • Options

ping said:

RobD said:

One would hope so. Depends a lot on what the Conservatives decide to do with Boris. If they dump him, @Tissue_Price is a prophet and his career should profit from that. If they cling to Bozza, he will be a prophet without honour, which is a shame.

(But there is a real problem for the Conservatives here. Labour have moved on from Corbyn with remarkable speed. Bozza has done a much more effective job of remaking the Conservatives in his own ghastly image.)
    I wasn’t seeking to be argumentative PING, but having wrapped a Putin apologist and establishment infiltrator in ermine, Big Dog a deader dog now than even before the war and everything went on pause!

If an MP travels on road of honesty and decency ignoring sign posts for narrow party or personal interest, there has to be a career for them in our politics, there has to be.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s a perpetual debate: “what is Fascism”. There are no foundational texts which tell you “How to be a Fascist” (unlike Marxism, capitalism or Christianity)

Has any regime ever explicitly called itself fascist? It is surely just a boo word meaning totalitarian state not adhering to a doctrine like Marxism or Maoism
    Il Duce, surely?
  • Options
    Outstanding stuff in the Atlantic:

"Only one military force in the world can save Putin from utter humiliation now: NATO, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. NATO intervention in Russia’s war on Ukraine could halt that country’s barbarous attacks. But it would mean war between Putin’s regime and the West, and this war would be such a gift to Putin that we should expect that he will soon do everything he can to provoke it."

"...the United States and NATO must resist Russian provocations, which already include war crimes and atrocities, and which soon could become even more extreme with “false flag” operations that might bring chemical weapons into play."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/03/putin-war-nato-intervention/627092/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Might get deselected at local level. But they are often unusually well regarded by their members (unless they defect....)
  • Options
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 39% (+1)
    CON: 35% (-1)
    LDEM: 10% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (-)

via @techneUK, 16 - 17 Mar
    Chgs. w/ 10 Mar
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Er, Mussolini's? It certainly called itself Fascist.
  • Options
    The used 911 market, which is the only part of the economy I understand, has suddenly turned so I very confidently predict grim economic times ahead.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

That only works if the parties put up enough candidates.
    Sure, but if the parties don't put up enough candidates they run the risk of emulating Sinn Fein at the last Irish GE, and missing out on electing more MPs when they do better than they expect - so the system has an inbuilt penalty if parties avoid presenting a choice to the voters.
This discussion has been closed.