Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak and Truss drop sharply in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr R,

"Yes and every single one of them is either a minor country, semi-detached and/or committed to ultimately joining."

The Danes and Swedes seem very happy with their own currency. They've no intention of joining.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Gas: up 74%
    20 times its previous trend level https://twitter.com/BBCDouglasF/status/1500754883737174018/photo/1

The nature of our society is that many people don't care about things that don't directly affect them. They don't really care about the news unless it is sport or entertainment. Ukraine still won't have resonated much. Nor has the arguments about forthcoming tax rises.

What slams them now is the exploding price of road and heating fuels, gas, food and soon everything. And then there is supposedly a whopping tax rise to fund the NHS getting worse before it gets better.

Piers Morgan is one of many "i'm dead influential me" commentators demanding airstrikes and no fly zones. I don't think most normals want that - they don't want Russian airstrikes on Dudley as retaliation, and they don't want the war to completely bugger their ability to drive their car, heat their house etc.

So in answer to the question as to what the Nigel thinks he will do next and his reaction against "Net Zero 2050" I think there is a sizeable audience. Anti-war, anti-price rises, anti-woke crap (which includes green crap).
    Farage can sniff out opportunities. Even before the current war Net Zero was an unachievable, astonishingly expensive vainglorious nonsense. A form of net zero or at least big reductions in emissions can be implemented, still at great cost, but it would require a lot of nuclear power generation and pragmatism over fracking and exploitation of our fossil fuel resources in the transition.
    If you are an apologist or admirer of Farage, you are an apologist or admirer of Putin, and you should hang your head in shame.
    It is possible to admire people in some respects while disagreeing with them in others.
    Really? Hitler was fond of dogs and was pretty good at oratory, but I don't think I would ever say I in any way admire him. Not saying Farage is in the same league as Hitler, but Putin is getting pretty close and Farage, like Corbyn and Salmond, is an apologist. All these three are scum of the earth so far as I am concerned. Nobody should admire anything about any of them until they show genuine contrition.
    Yet none are anywhere near as scummy as you Gammon Boy. Jog on loser.
    Articulate again, I see. And it took you all that time for your brain cell to come up with that. Must be a record of spontaneous wit for you. Haven't seen any posts from you bum licking Salmond recently? What do you think to having your idol being a paid TV apologist for the worst psychopathic dictator of the age? How does it feel for you, being an apologist for Putin by proxy? Do you still have unquestioning undying love for the man that is not only an RT presenter (bad enough) but also was described by his QC as a "bully and sex pest"?

You see, Malcolm, that is a response that is, modesty aside, a little better than your playground "jog on loser", which of course, is a classic bit of dense psychological projection worthy of a thick-as-a-plank Scottish Nationalist.

Hilarious really, you really as a glutton for punishment; you get a kicking every time, and each time you come back for more!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

I seem to remember some years ago, Apple force downloaded a very mediocre U2 song into everyone’s iTunes account.

Could apple and google look at doing something similar now? Russian language news and video of what is really happening in Ukraine to every phone in the country? (Save the Huawei muppets).

They’d need to get their staff out the country first obvs…

And worry about China shutting down Foxconn

The people with the iphones already have a pretty firm grasp on what's going on in any case. Problem is the ones who get news off the telly.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

WRT the Ukraine war and the case for Scottish independence, people should not be so dismissive. Two glaringly obvious conclusions are already clear and obvious:

1. Self-determination is sacrosanct. The heroic stand of the Ukrainian people and their government against being swallowed whole by the Russian empire is something we will celebrate long after this war is over.

Its a difficult swing from "how marvellous that Ukrainian people still choose their own government" to "however Scotland votes it remains British" as pushed by HY and others

2. Local oil and gas resources are precious. The 2014 pitch was built heavily on an oil and gas economy which later collapsed with the price of oil. We are about to see record prices and no sign of them collapsing later due to the complete remapping of supplies.

On paper the SNP are dead against fossil fuels. Watch that abruptly reverse when they realise that as the west snuggles up to Iran and Venezuela to replace Russia they can also snuggle up to Scotland.

So I don't see the slightly triumphantist "this knackers the SNP" position. It is the opposite. A clarion call for self-determination. A future where energy self-sufficiency and safe supplies are paramount. A huge hypocritical turnaround from today's position? Sure - but so what? The world is changing hugely and quickly...

Thoughtful post, but completely wrong in its conclusions. I don't think many people will be equating the devastation in Ukraine with Scotland. I think they will be seeing that hanging together is better than hanging apart.

You may be right about an SNP volte face on their policy of scrapping Scotland's oil and gas sector. But, in order to do that, they would have to junk their increasingly embarrassing partnership with the Greens. That would entirely upend Sturgeon's political strategy.

I don't see the Ukrainian crisis leading to a swing to Yes. But then, who truly knows in these unpredictable times?
    As a hang togetherer I personally agree with your premise there. But the existing union is increasingly unfit for purpose and needs reform. The status quo is unattractive. And we're about to see a big pro self-determination push...
    Mebbes, but the Holyrood parliament already has considerable powers. We could go full "home-rule" but presumably that would mean an end to Barnett and fiscal transfers northwards.

My basic contention is that Scots are extremely unlikely to knowingly vote to make themselves poorer. This puts the Yes campaign in a difficult position. They can only win by knowingly misleading the population.

BTW - a strange time for Blackford to double-down on chucking out Trident.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1500739819525316611
    Otoh oil and gas have risen, so presumably can be marked up on the putative Scottish balance sheet. Not sure what Trident has to do with the price of fish.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    IshmaelZ said:

nico679 said:

French official on EU defence: "We are missing the strategic discussions with the UK. We can't do it with Germany. It's our biggest crisis ever and we really miss the UK angle."

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1500760872783908864

This is why Putin wanted Brexit.
    Exactly . Not sure why some Leavers refuse to accept that Putin wanted Brexit and was hoping it would lead to a domino effect so whether they like it or not those are the facts .

Perhaps the realization that their vote could have helped Putin is a bit too much for them to bear at this time !
    Because its Remainer BS.

Putin is against NATO. The EU if anything was increasingly a threat to NATO, hence why people like Macron were calling NATO 'braindead'.

The biggest strategic mistake that Putin has made is reuniting and reinvigorating NATO, not reinvigorating the EU.
    You are in denial. Brexit was a major victory for Putin. Many of us said so at the time. It was one of the things (along with Trumpism in the US) that emboldened him. He thought it showed cracks in Western cohesion. His next ambition with respect to UK is it's breakup which is why he has invested so much in cultivating links with the SNP, just like he did with the Brexity end of the Conservative Party. One can argue over the rights and wrongs of Brexit, but to suggest that it wasn't in Putin's interest, or that he didn't do everything he could to encourage it is just dumb.
    Nah breaking up the UK is actually in Russia's interests since it screws with things like the GIUK gap, the UK's nuclear defences etc

Brexit wasn't. Its NATO that stands up to Russia.

If anything a more united EU and Brexit go hand-in-hand since the UK in the EU was obstructionist, unhappy and unwilling for decades. Without the UK in there, the EU can be stronger and more united than it could be with us vetoing and objecting to everything.

The EU, USA, UK and Canada etc as allies in NATO can and easily are standing up to Russia post-Brexit. Brexit hasn't weakened any of that, if anything it makes it stronger by ending the divisions that already existed pre-Brexit.
    As I say, you are in denial. Own up to it, Brexit emboldened Putin. He loves you very much "Barty".
    No. No, No.

What emboldens Putin is the never-ending futile wankery over Brexit on both sides. He loves people who should be friends arguing amongst each other.

I would not be surprised if Putin's agents had worked both sides of the debate - concentrating on the extremists on both sides. Just to keep us arguing amongst ourselves.

At the moment, Brexiteers are not the enemy. EU-loving Europhiles are no the enemy. We are not at war, but the enemy of both sides is clear: Putin.

So can we give it a rest, please?
    Is there some kind of exemption for people who can think about more than one thing at once?

And what's with the asymmetry, "Brexiteers are not the enemy. EU-loving Europhiles are no the enemy." what about the much, much larger group of people who didn't think much of the EU but could see that leaving it was the self-destructive act of a bunch of utter wankers?
    Of course there's such an exemption, dear fellow. The problem is people who can only think of one thing at once, those who try to force every single event into their cause célèbre. They're like toddlers trying to put a round block into a square hole, hammering it and hammering it until they scream in frustration and throw the block through the TV.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Ruble just spiked to 137/$ in early trading this morning.

They’ll be as good as Zimbabwe dollars soon.

Putin has made all his people billionaires!
    I don't think that's right? The average Russian presumably has as many Roubles as he had two weeks ago. But his Roubles are worth only 60% of what they were back then.
    I remember Uncle Harold Wilson, on the TV, taking his pipe out of his mouth, looking straight at us and telling us that' the pound in your pocket has not been devalued'.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    One of the Tory peers who has been under fire for links to Russian oligarchs has quit his job https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1500794651095322625
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399

Russia has published its official list of countries that are "unfriendly":

Australia, UK, EU countries, Iceland, Canada, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, San Marino, Singapore, USA, Taiwan, Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Japan

Not Ukraine? If they invade a country that isn't on their naughty list, what will they do to those that are? ;)
    You have to remember, of course, that Ukraine is not a real country, so it doesn't count.

(In Putin's view, not mine, for avoidance of doubt)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,817

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

20 times its previous trend level https://twitter.com/BBCDouglasF/status/1500754883737174018/photo/1

The nature of our society is that many people don't care about things that don't directly affect them. They don't really care about the news unless it is sport or entertainment. Ukraine still won't have resonated much. Nor has the arguments about forthcoming tax rises.

What slams them now is the exploding price of road and heating fuels, gas, food and soon everything. And then there is supposedly a whopping tax rise to fund the NHS getting worse before it gets better.

Piers Morgan is one of many "i'm dead influential me" commentators demanding airstrikes and no fly zones. I don't think most normals want that - they don't want Russian airstrikes on Dudley as retaliation, and they don't want the war to completely bugger their ability to drive their car, heat their house etc.

So in answer to the question as to what the Nigel thinks he will do next and his reaction against "Net Zero 2050" I think there is a sizeable audience. Anti-war, anti-price rises, anti-woke crap (which includes green crap).
    Farage can sniff out opportunities. Even before the current war Net Zero was an unachievable, astonishingly expensive vainglorious nonsense. A form of net zero or at least big reductions in emissions can be implemented, still at great cost, but it would require a lot of nuclear power generation and pragmatism over fracking and exploitation of our fossil fuel resources in the transition.
    Sorry - but anyone who thinks fracking within the UK solves anything just confirms how absolutely clueless they are.

It doesn't work for multiple reasons which can be confirmed by other posters on here who understand both the geology, technology and the marketplace.

Oh and Farage is an idiot, the best approach now is to do the exact opposite of Putin's stooge and reduce the demand for gas.
    It seems to me, and I am not an expert by any means, but locally fracking would be possible in Lancashire at least but for the politics?

It might just be spin, but from what I've heard it would be economical and the measurements of the earth tremors that put a halt to the project would be comparable to a truck driving past a house nearby. Is that not true?

The politics of NIMBYism seems to be the thing that has put a real block to it, my personal preference would be to say "f**k the NIMBYs" but that's always my attitude, including in my own backdoor. However its not going to happen, so offshore hydrocarbon development probably remains the best alternative for the transition would be my best uneducated guess.
    You Tory halfwits will not be happy till you have F***ed the water table for a few litres of gas. Typical short sighted greedy lying cheating Tories.
    Take a chill pill Malc.
    F*** off, who are you to try and tell me what to post. Fracking is a disaster for the water table and only ignorant greedy crooked liars would want to do it for all the measly benefit it would provide.
    For all his explosions and foul-mouthed abuse on here, I would not be at all surprised to find that Malc is a very pleasant person in real life.
    OKC, I am indeed a gentleman but I cannot suffer ignorant no mark keyboard warriors thinking they know everything and pontificating on people. As you say I have cultured conversations with like minded people like yourself and treat the morons as they deserve to be treated.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Sorry - but anyone who thinks fracking within the UK solves anything just confirms how absolutely clueless they are.

It doesn't work for multiple reasons which can be confirmed by other posters on here who understand both the geology, technology and the marketplace.

Oh and Farage is an idiot, the best approach now is to do the exact opposite of Putin's stooge and reduce the demand for gas.
    It seems to me, and I am not an expert by any means, but locally fracking would be possible in Lancashire at least but for the politics?

It might just be spin, but from what I've heard it would be economical and the measurements of the earth tremors that put a halt to the project would be comparable to a truck driving past a house nearby. Is that not true?

The politics of NIMBYism seems to be the thing that has put a real block to it, my personal preference would be to say "f**k the NIMBYs" but that's always my attitude, including in my own backdoor. However its not going to happen, so offshore hydrocarbon development probably remains the best alternative for the transition would be my best uneducated guess.
    You Tory halfwits will not be happy till you have F***ed the water table for a few litres of gas. Typical short sighted greedy lying cheating Tories.
    Take a chill pill Malc.
    F*** off, who are you to try and tell me what to post. Fracking is a disaster for the water table and only ignorant greedy crooked liars would want to do it for all the measly benefit it would provide.
    Articulate as ever from PB's preeminent intellect and obnoxious tosser.
    Foreskin

Amusing poster.
    His wit and intellect is legendary
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited March 2022

WRT the Ukraine war and the case for Scottish independence, people should not be so dismissive. Two glaringly obvious conclusions are already clear and obvious:

1. Self-determination is sacrosanct. The heroic stand of the Ukrainian people and their government against being swallowed whole by the Russian empire is something we will celebrate long after this war is over.

Its a difficult swing from "how marvellous that Ukrainian people still choose their own government" to "however Scotland votes it remains British" as pushed by HY and others

2. Local oil and gas resources are precious. The 2014 pitch was built heavily on an oil and gas economy which later collapsed with the price of oil. We are about to see record prices and no sign of them collapsing later due to the complete remapping of supplies.

On paper the SNP are dead against fossil fuels. Watch that abruptly reverse when they realise that as the west snuggles up to Iran and Venezuela to replace Russia they can also snuggle up to Scotland.

So I don't see the slightly triumphantist "this knackers the SNP" position. It is the opposite. A clarion call for self-determination. A future where energy self-sufficiency and safe supplies are paramount. A huge hypocritical turnaround from today's position? Sure - but so what? The world is changing hugely and quickly...

1. Rubbish.

For starters Ukraine is an independent state already Russia has invaded unlike Scotland so when we refuse the SNP Scottish government demand for indyref2 it is just an internal matter.

Much like Spain refused Catalonia's nationalist government even 1 independence referendum and has had no reaction from the international community for that.

In fact if Russia's occupation of Ukraine is followed by Chinese occupation of Taiwan if anything that shows a trend away from independent states, especially ones trying to defy a larger and more powerful neighbour that has a government that believes they should be in union with them
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    France, OpinionWay/Kéa Partners poll:

Macron (EC-RE): 30% (+2)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 18%
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 13%
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 11% (-1)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 10% (-1)

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

Fieldwork: 4-7 March 2022
    Sample size: 1,672

Reasonable poll for Le Pen, terrible for Zemmour.

The French election looks almost like a foregone conclusion. Le Pen getting
    16-18% to get into the 2nd round then losing 60-40. Only way it gets interesting interesting is if Melenchon wins over Jadot and Rousell supporters.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Sandpit said:

The difficult bit is getting components required for keeping machinery serviceable in the face of the sanctions. Already we see Boeing and Airbus refusing to sell them spare parts for planes, so they will quickly have to start cannibalising them to keep others running. They probably can’t make cars on their own, because of all the electronics now required in them, and O&G exploration requires kit that’s not made locally and expertise they don’t have either.

Mahan Air (the official airline of the Iranian Islamic Republican Guard Quds Force) kept flying right through the sanctions by getting black market parts through Indonesia, Hong Kong and Thailand. An expensive pain in the dick no doubt but possible.

A massive and entirely coincidental expansion of Belavia's international network is another option.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201

Australia, UK, EU countries, Iceland, Canada, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, San Marino, Singapore, USA, Taiwan, Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Japan

The list of friendly countries is: Eritrea, North Korea, Syria and Belarus.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

IshmaelZ said:

nico679 said:

French official on EU defence: "We are missing the strategic discussions with the UK. We can't do it with Germany. It's our biggest crisis ever and we really miss the UK angle."

Exactly . Not sure why some Leavers refuse to accept that Putin wanted Brexit and was hoping it would lead to a domino effect so whether they like it or not those are the facts .

Perhaps the realization that their vote could have helped Putin is a bit too much for them to bear at this time !
    Because its Remainer BS.

Putin is against NATO. The EU if anything was increasingly a threat to NATO, hence why people like Macron were calling NATO 'braindead'.

The biggest strategic mistake that Putin has made is reuniting and reinvigorating NATO, not reinvigorating the EU.
    You are in denial. Brexit was a major victory for Putin. Many of us said so at the time. It was one of the things (along with Trumpism in the US) that emboldened him. He thought it showed cracks in Western cohesion. His next ambition with respect to UK is it's breakup which is why he has invested so much in cultivating links with the SNP, just like he did with the Brexity end of the Conservative Party. One can argue over the rights and wrongs of Brexit, but to suggest that it wasn't in Putin's interest, or that he didn't do everything he could to encourage it is just dumb.
    Nah breaking up the UK is actually in Russia's interests since it screws with things like the GIUK gap, the UK's nuclear defences etc

If anything a more united EU and Brexit go hand-in-hand since the UK in the EU was obstructionist, unhappy and unwilling for decades. Without the UK in there, the EU can be stronger and more united than it could be with us vetoing and objecting to everything.

The EU, USA, UK and Canada etc as allies in NATO can and easily are standing up to Russia post-Brexit. Brexit hasn't weakened any of that, if anything it makes it stronger by ending the divisions that already existed pre-Brexit.
    As I say, you are in denial. Own up to it, Brexit emboldened Putin. He loves you very much "Barty".
    No. No, No.

What emboldens Putin is the never-ending futile wankery over Brexit on both sides. He loves people who should be friends arguing amongst each other.

I would not be surprised if Putin's agents had worked both sides of the debate - concentrating on the extremists on both sides. Just to keep us arguing amongst ourselves.

At the moment, Brexiteers are not the enemy. EU-loving Europhiles are no the enemy. We are not at war, but the enemy of both sides is clear: Putin.

Is there some kind of exemption for people who can think about more than one thing at once?

And what's with the asymmetry, "Brexiteers are not the enemy. EU-loving Europhiles are no the enemy." what about the much, much larger group of people who didn't think much of the EU but could see that leaving it was the self-destructive act of a bunch of utter wankers?
    Of course there's such an exemption, dear fellow. The problem is people who can only think of one thing at once, those who try to force every single event into their cause célèbre. They're like toddlers trying to put a round block into a square hole, hammering it and hammering it until they scream in frustration and throw the block through the TV.
    Wasn't there that famous video showing all the blocks fitting into the square hole.
  • Options
    Figures show Ireland has taken in 1,800 Ukrainians visa-free so far, compared to around 50 taken in by the UK

For more and other news visit http://trib.al/Rx0iR33
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

If you are an apologist or admirer of Farage, you are an apologist or admirer of Putin, and you should hang your head in shame.
    It is possible to admire people in some respects while disagreeing with them in others.
    Really? Hitler was fond of dogs and was pretty good at oratory, but I don't think I would ever say I in any way admire him. Not saying Farage is in the same league as Hitler, but Putin is getting pretty close and Farage, like Corbyn and Salmond, is an apologist. All these three are scum of the earth so far as I am concerned. Nobody should admire anything about any of them until they show genuine contrition.
    Articulate again, I see. And it took you all that time for your brain cell to come up with that. Must be a record of spontaneous wit for you. Haven't seen any posts from you bum licking Salmond recently? What do you think to having your idol being a paid TV apologist for the worst psychopathic dictator of the age? How does it feel for you, being an apologist for Putin by proxy? Do you still have unquestioning undying love for the man that is not only an RT presenter (bad enough) but also was described by his QC as a "bully and sex pest"?

You see, Malcolm, that is a response that is, modesty aside, a little better than your playground "jog on loser", which of course, is a classic bit of dense psychological projection worthy of a thick-as-a-plank Scottish Nationalist.

Hilarious really, you really as a glutton for punishment; you get a kicking every time, and each time you come back for more!
    Give it a rest FFS, or please if you prefer. These private feuds are a tad wearing.
    Nope, he is an obnoxious bully, that thinks shouting abuse at people is a way of forcing his semi-fascist version of nationalism down everyone's throats. I will give it a rest when he moderates his posts. Until then I will continue to give him a verbal kicking at any opportunity.
  • Options

Just need rid of Sturgeon and her cronies and it is a slam dunk.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think that's right? The average Russian presumably has as many Roubles as he had two weeks ago. But his Roubles are worth only 60% of what they were back then.
    As Harold Putin said: this does not affect the rouble in your pocket.

Roubles are spent in Russia. The devaluation will mean imports are more expensive but to what extent that impacts daily life is hard to assess, especially as a lot of imports will have been hit by sanctions.
    The financial sanctions are combined with the restriction on goods coming into the country, due to direct sanctions but also the refusal of suppliers and shippers etc… This can but only result in a form of hyperinflation for those goods. Since the import of capital goods is also hit, there will be a further escalation in inflation to Russian produced goods as the months go on.

In terms of Russia’s inflation basket, about 36% is food, quite high, which given their calorific surplus is a positive for them. There’s a but…

The central bank doesn’t release data on the share of imported goods for the CPI. But they estimate that almost half of the retail trade overall are imports. Life is going to get very difficult very soon in Russia, which will make our own escalating energy and transport prices pale into insignificance.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

nico679 said:

Because its Remainer BS.

No. No, No.

Wasn't there that famous video showing all the blocks fitting into the square hole.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8ssH7LiB0
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Take a chill pill Malc.
    For all his explosions and foul-mouthed abuse on here, I would not be at all surprised to find that Malc is a very pleasant person in real life.
    OKC, I am indeed a gentleman but I cannot suffer ignorant no mark keyboard warriors thinking they know everything and pontificating on people. As you say I have cultured conversations with like minded people like yourself and treat the morons as they deserve to be treated.
    But you don't do that last bit.
  • Options

Thoughtful post, but completely wrong in its conclusions. I don't think many people will be equating the devastation in Ukraine with Scotland. I think they will be seeing that hanging together is better than hanging apart.

You may be right about an SNP volte face on their policy of scrapping Scotland's oil and gas sector. But, in order to do that, they would have to junk their increasingly embarrassing partnership with the Greens. That would entirely upend Sturgeon's political strategy.

I don't see the Ukrainian crisis leading to a swing to Yes. But then, who truly knows in these unpredictable times?
    As a hang togetherer I personally agree with your premise there. But the existing union is increasingly unfit for purpose and needs reform. The status quo is unattractive. And we're about to see a big pro self-determination push...
    Mebbes, but the Holyrood parliament already has considerable powers. We could go full "home-rule" but presumably that would mean an end to Barnett and fiscal transfers northwards.

My basic contention is that Scots are extremely unlikely to knowingly vote to make themselves poorer. This puts the Yes campaign in a difficult position. They can only win by knowingly misleading the population.

You forgot to mention that it would put an end to all our money heading to the Laundry down south. Hard to see us being poorer.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

If you worked for a business or taxpayer funded organisation that depended in some way on foreign inputs you likely have fewer rubles (as well as them being worth less)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

The difficult bit is getting components required for keeping machinery serviceable in the face of the sanctions. Already we see Boeing and Airbus refusing to sell them spare parts for planes, so they will quickly have to start cannibalising them to keep others running. They probably can’t make cars on their own, because of all the electronics now required in them, and O&G exploration requires kit that’s not made locally and expertise they don’t have either.

Mahan Air (the official airline of the Iranian Islamic Republican Guard Quds Force) kept flying right through the sanctions by getting black market parts through Indonesia, Hong Kong and Thailand. An expensive pain in the dick no doubt but possible.

A massive and entirely coincidental expansion of Belavia's international network is another option.
    Surely in that latter case, Belavia would find itself sanctioned?
  • Options

He knows public opinion in Scotland , seemingly you don't.
  • Options

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

16-18% to get into the 2nd round then losing 60-40. Only way it gets interesting interesting is if Melenchon wins over Jadot and Rousell supporters.

Latest runoff poll is actually Macron 56.5% Le Pen 43.5%. Yes that is a clear Macron win but still much closer than the 66% to 34% he beat Le Pen by in 2017
    https://www.ifop.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/ROL22_2022.03.04.pdf.

Do not forget too there are legislative elections in June Les Republicains have a chance of winning even if Macron is re elected
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,067
    Scott_xP said:

Figures show Ireland has taken in 1,800 Ukrainians visa-free so far, compared to around 50 taken in by the UK

We really need to up our game here. It is a terrible look.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Esp with our gvt dishonestly claiming distance is the reason for our paltry number
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

Give it a rest FFS, or please if you prefer. These private feuds are a tad wearing.
    Nope, he is an obnoxious bully, that thinks shouting abuse at people is a way of forcing his semi-fascist version of nationalism down everyone's throats. I will give it a rest when he moderates his posts. Until then I will continue to give him a verbal kicking at any opportunity.
    The abuse comes from both sides. But yours is more long-winded and less amusing.
    You could just ignore him?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,248
    Selebian said:

Not Ukraine? If they invade a country that isn't on their naughty list, what will they do to those that are? ;)
    You have to remember, of course, that Ukraine is not a real country, so it doesn't count.

(In Putin's view, not mine, for avoidance of doubt)
    And they haven't invaded the imaginary country, Ukraine, either.

Just an Imaginary Special Operation In An Imaginary Country. Everything else, is just in your Western Mind.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Slam dunk? Disappointing to see the Americanisation of the case for Scottish independence.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Bloody hell. The Rouble has lost getting on for half its value in a fortnight. That's pretty much unprecedented for a major currency in my lifetime, I think.
    What impact does that have on Russia's ability to wage war? Presumably Russia still has lots of foreign currency reserves, so I guess the answer is not much yet...?
    Lots of its reserves are inaccessible to it because blocked
    And the lock up of stuff through the London markets is quite incredible. Various ingenious schemes are being presented to try and get round the sanctions - even Trafigura can't find buyers for Russian shit, third hand.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

1. Rubbish.

For starters Ukraine is an independent state already Russia has invaded unlike Scotland so when we refuse the SNP Scottish government demand for indyref2 it is just an internal matter.

Much like Spain refused Catalonia's nationalist government even 1 independence referendum and has had no reaction from the international community for that.

In fact if Russia's occupation of Ukraine is followed by Chinese occupation of Taiwan if anything that shows a trend away from independent states, especially ones trying to defy a larger and more powerful neighbour that has a government that believes they should be in union with them
    What is sacrosanct about the current arrangement of nation-states? Ever since we as a species developed beyond the concept of the time as a point of loyalty the state has been a fairly nebulous concept shifting and changing over time, sometimes as a result of military action.... revolution or conquest, sometimes peacefully.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

You could remove 'a' and 'look' from your last sentence, unless it's just the optics that count.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Scott_xP said:

The putrid gammon is a pain in the butt. Stalkers on blogs should be under the same rules as the scumbag ones in real life. You are not half as bored as I am with the cretin.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Esp with our gvt dishonestly claiming distance is the reason for our paltry number
    Compared with Poland, it is.

I'm sure France, Germany and Poland would love for us to say "we'll let in without question anyone who turns up at Calais claiming to be Ukrainian". But if we're not going to do that, the Home Office is bound to err on the side of too many rules.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Roubles are spent in Russia. The devaluation will mean imports are more expensive but to what extent that impacts daily life is hard to assess, especially as a lot of imports will have been hit by sanctions.
    The financial sanctions are combined with the restriction on goods coming into the country, due to direct sanctions but also the refusal of suppliers and shippers etc… This can but only result in a form of hyperinflation for those goods. Since the import of capital goods is also hit, there will be a further escalation in inflation to Russian produced goods as the months go on.

In terms of Russia’s inflation basket, about 36% is food, quite high, which given their calorific surplus is a positive for them. There’s a but…

The central bank doesn’t release data on the share of imported goods for the CPI. But they estimate that almost half of the retail trade overall are imports. Life is going to get very difficult very soon in Russia, which will make our own escalating energy and transport prices pale into insignificance.
    The trouble is this: we are all pussyfooting around no fly zones (rightly) because we think they might tip Vlad into going nuclear. so let's let sanctions do the work instead. But hyperinflation and breakdown of order, both induced by us, are just as likely to tip him over, as taking out a fighter jet or two of his. Why wouldn't they? There isn't a definitive list of permissible casus belli atomici, with economics not on it.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Slam dunk? Disappointing to see the Americanisation of the case for Scottish independence.
    The Glasgow Rocks would be disappointed to see it described that way...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

Latest runoff poll is actually Macron 56.5% Le Pen 43.5%. Yes that is a clear Macron win but still much closer than the 66% to 34% he beat Le Pen by in 2017

Do not forget too there are legislative elections in June Les Republicains have a chance of winning even if Macron is re elected
    I'm interested in your view as to why Pécresse has turned out to be such a disaster. When she emerged as a serious contender, I really thought she had a good chance of defeating Macron from the non-extreme right. Why has she gone backwards?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    @ragipsoylu
    Kremlin told Ukraine that it can halt operations at any moment if Kyiv meets Russia’s conditions.

• Demilitarisation
    • Constitutional amendment to reject joining any blocs — Reuters

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1500800920854147077
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,576
    Does anyone have the foggiest idea what Putin wants now? Does Putin know himself?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,852

@ragipsoylu
    Kremlin told Ukraine that it can halt operations at any moment if Kyiv meets Russia’s conditions.

• Demilitarisation

Saying that you’ll stop fighting if the other side disbands its military and hoists your flag on all public buildings, doesn’t really count as much of a negotiation.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    @malcolmg Are you a rabbi ?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    Applicant said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Surely in that latter case, Belavia would find itself sanctioned?
    They should be sanctioned just for the fact that every one of their aircraft reek of garlic, "Minsk Nights" perfume and burning electrical insulation.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Take a chill pill Malc.
    But you don't do that last bit.
    I merely reply in kind , if the poster is cultered/decent I will reply pleasantly at worst , if bollox I will say so and for the few morons I will treat them as they deserve. I do try to have some fun at the same timeit is after all only the internet. You will note I am never anything but civil to those that are real gentlemen.
    Others are just fun, ie Carlotta and I have strong banter back and forth and all taken as it should be on both sides.
  • Options

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

For some reason, whenever Putin talks about constitutional amendments I think about Article 125 of the 1936 USSR Constitution...

In conformity with the interests of the working people, and in order to strengthen the socialist system, the citizens of the U.S.S.R. are guaranteed by law:

a) freedom of speech;

b) freedom of the press;

c) freedom of assembly, including the holding of mass meetings;

d) freedom of street processions and demonstrations; These civil rights are ensured by placing at the disposal of the working people and their organizations printing presses, stocks of paper, public buildings, the streets, communications facilities and other material requisites for the exercise of these rights.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

The trouble is this: we are all pussyfooting around no fly zones (rightly) because we think they might tip Vlad into going nuclear. so let's let sanctions do the work instead. But hyperinflation and breakdown of order, both induced by us, are just as likely to tip him over, as taking out a fighter jet or two of his. Why wouldn't they? There isn't a definitive list of permissible casus belli atomici, with economics not on it.
    Thats's the fun bit in all this.

We want Putin to lose.

If Putin loses, he is mortal peril for his life. 95% probability that he "Is only President... for life".

So if he sees that he is losing, *any* gamble may seem a good one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

I'm interested in your view as to why Pécresse has turned out to be such a disaster. When she emerged as a serious contender, I really thought she had a good chance of defeating Macron from the non-extreme right. Why has she gone backwards?
    She was never going to beat Macron from the centre I think, Macron had that vote locked up.

Her only chance was uniting the right behind her and hoping much of the left, especially the Melenchon vote, did not bother to turn out for Macron in the runoff.

Instead the right has largely gone back to Le Pen and she has lost some centrist voters to Macron, so will probably end up doing even worse than Fillon did in 2017
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Apologies for that , I have given myself a hundred lines for that.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Applicant said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm sure France, Germany and Poland would love for us to say "we'll let in without question anyone who turns up at Calais claiming to be Ukrainian". But if we're not going to do that, the Home Office is bound to err on the side of too many rules.
    And it's not like Poland has let everyone in claiming to be Ukrainian...
  • Options

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Demilitarise so that we can overtake you without losing half our army and airforce in the next six months.
    I really wish they would provide a list of what they want to forbid Ukraine to have.

Bloody useful shopping list for Ukraine, that would be....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kjh said:

Does anyone have the foggiest idea what Putin wants now? Does Putin know himself?

1. Not to die as a result of his stupid, stupid invasion

2. Russia to be the greatest country, evs

He'll negotiate on 2.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

For some reason, whenever Putin talks about constitutional amendments I think about Article 125 of the 1936 USSR Constitution...

In conformity with the interests of the working people, and in order to strengthen the socialist system, the citizens of the U.S.S.R. are guaranteed by law:

a) freedom of speech;

b) freedom of the press;

c) freedom of assembly, including the holding of mass meetings;

d) freedom of street processions and demonstrations; These civil rights are ensured by placing at the disposal of the working people and their organizations printing presses, stocks of paper, public buildings, the streets, communications facilities and other material requisites for the exercise of these rights.

I remember certain MPs claiming, doing the Cold War, that the USSR had better human rights than the West and quoting the above as evidence.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

1. Rubbish.

What is sacrosanct about the current arrangement of nation-states? Ever since we as a species developed beyond the concept of the time as a point of loyalty the state has been a fairly nebulous concept shifting and changing over time, sometimes as a result of military action.... revolution or conquest, sometimes peacefully.
    Well that is true, a large nation with a strong military and army and navy could invade its smaller neighbours and build empires comprising less powerful nations abroad through much of world history.

Just now it has generally been seen as unacceptable to do that and that independent states' sovereignty should be respected. Putin has just ripped up that consensus to try and rebuild a Russian empire
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

LOL, I am more likely to be Pope, they would have had me out the door at the start of the apprenticeship.
    I am Church of Scotland (lapsed ) which would present issues I believe.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Thats's the fun bit in all this.

We want Putin to lose.

If Putin loses, he is mortal peril for his life. 95% probability that he "Is only President... for life".

So if he sees that he is losing, *any* gamble may seem a good one.
    Indeed. Only winning move is not to play. But that means walking away from Ukr and we can't do that. The nuclear paradox.
  • Options

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Demilitarise so that we can overtake you without losing half our army and airforce in the next six months.
    Oh, and can we have our tanks back?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Applicant said:

IanB2 said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

And it's not like Poland has let everyone in claiming to be Ukrainian...
    They have (presumably) let in everyone who turned up at the border, claiming to be Ukrainian or not.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Saying that you’ll stop fighting if the other side disbands its military and hoists your flag on all public buildings, doesn’t really count as much of a negotiation.
    Well, it worked for US, Uk, France, Canada etc during Big Mistake II.

Mind you it worked for the Soviet Union as well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL, I am more likely to be Pope, they would have had me out the door at the start of the apprenticeship.
    Only asked because you seem to be waging a war on foreskin.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

The govt is doing exactly what it was elected for - keeping foreigners out. It appears to be almost like Holy Writ to Ms Patel...
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sandpit said:

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Ukraine wouldn't be allowed a military, nor a military alliance? What sort of "compromise" is that? You might as well set a timer for the Second Russian-Ukraine war.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    It appears that the Ukrainians may have sunk one of the Black Sea Fleet using a captured Grad rocket launcher.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1500797084726964231
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

moonshine said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

That's a perfectly well reasoned argument, Ishmael. I think the hope is that if sanctions do their work the regime itself may crumble before he can order nuclear destruction.

That may not work either but it's worth a try.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365

It appears that the Ukrainians may have sunk one of the Black Sea Fleet using a captured Grad rocket launcher.

That's just adding insult to injury.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

It's interesting that Macron is a fairly unpopular President, whose party has no real roots in the country, and yet who wins because his rivals to right and left excite strong opposition.

• Options

Sandpit said:

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Ukraine wouldn't be allowed a military, nor a military alliance? What sort of "compromise" is that? You might as well set a timer for the Second Russian-Ukraine war.
    During WWI, the German Military had a provisional set of demands for when they won. These were based on ensuring that they had a good starting position for the next war.

The famous remark about Versailles being a pause for 20 years was actually based on the idea that the peace wasn't *harsh enough* - that in 20 years, Germany would have paid off reparations and would be ready for round 2.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    kjh said:

Zelenskyy.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

That's just adding insult to injury.
    All Hail The Grad....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Circumcision, as it’s usually known.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

1. Rubbish.

Well that is true, a large nation with a strong military and army and navy could invade its smaller neighbours and build empires comprising less powerful nations abroad through much of world history.

Just now it has generally been seen as unacceptable to do that and that independent states' sovereignty should be respected. Putin has just ripped up that consensus to try and rebuild a Russian empire
    Not entirely true, I'm afraid. Look, as one example, at Switzerland. Or, for another, at the USA, which threw off it's colonial masters. Or Ireland.
    On the other had, there are the 'nations' which were created, or re-created, after WWI, few of which still exist
    And in Africa colonial boundaries are, so far, respected, whereas in the Middle East and perhaps the Caucasus such boundaries have contributed to chaos.
  • Options

Well done them! How much more abandoned kit will end up used against the enemy?

Telegraph has an interview with fierce-looking major of Odessa - they seem to be well up for the fight when the Russian Navy arrives.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/06/gennadiy-leonidovich-trukhanov-odesa-ukraine-invasion-russia/
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    IshmaelZ said:

BREAKING NEWS!

You'd better believe it....IndyRef could be delayed!! Gasp.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ian-blackford-hints-at-possible-delay-to-snps-indyref2-plans-3598939

"Ian Blackford said the party must be “respectful of the responsibilities” it has following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, adding he remains committed to delivering on the independence mandate."

The SNP has zero intention of holding a referendum, for as long as its led by people like Sturgeon there is never going to be one. She's much happier being Queen of Holyrood than actually having to fight (and possibly lose) a Referendum.

The status quo suits the current SNP leadership too much to want to actually rock the boat, better to always have the next referendum only just over the horizon.

I've got more faith in George R R Martin writing books swiftly, than I do the SNP swiftly arranging a referendum.
    Too close to London Bridge now anyway, coinciding with that would catch a fatal upswell of affection for HM, a known unionist. Gotta hit the sweet spot between her and the unaccountably popular Baldy n Death's head, with a pair of fat self-sastisfied elderly billionaires in the hot seat.
    Shhhh…..

The ‘Muscular Unionists’ are having their hard-earned snoozes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scotland really badly needs politicians worth the time of day. As a new Scot I don't think the Holyrood government does a bad job, but it does have some fantastically bad policies. And keeps tacking "and independence" onto everything to make it even sillier.

The problem is that the non-SNP parties are not offering an alternative. Alba - whats the cyrillic version in honour of Salmond? - made zero progress last May. Tories having an existential crisis trying to wholly separate themselves from the London Tories. Labour trying yet another leader who isn't cutting through. LibDems the same. Greens forcing stupid oil ban policies....
  • Options
    Following on from earlier efforts to estimate real damage done to Russia’s Air Force… what proportion of the headline number would be needed in reserve to police and protect the vast homeland airspace and border, and would not be deployable in an expansionist war or choice such as this?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Interestingly Ukraine seems to have recaptured Mykolayiv airport - Russia must be questioning what they’ve let themselves in for
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Following on from earlier efforts to estimate real damage done to Russia’s Air Force… what proportion of the headline number would be needed in reserve to police and protect the vast homeland airspace and border, and would not be deployable in an expansionist war or choice such as this?

Border dispute with Mongolia perhaps?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Last Monday, Labour was 3% ahead of the Conservatives in our Westminster Voting Intention Poll.

Today, and every Monday, at 5pm, we will release our latest poll.

Will that lead have increased or decreased?

Follow us
    @RedfieldWilton
    to be the first to find out.

Implies Labour is still ahead even if only by 1-3%.

I'm guessing we might still see one or two Tory leads between now and May, most likely with opinium.

On those numbers, stunningly good for midterm after a medium-sized scandal in any case, the piglet is still greased.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Patrick Reevell
    @Reevellp
    ·
    16m
    Ukraine sending a delegation for a third round of ceasefire talks with Russia today. Talks due to start in Belarus at 16.00 local.

https://twitter.com/Reevellp
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251

moonshine said:

Russia is a big place. Yes, it depends how far Putin trusts China and the extent to which he believes his own propaganda about Nato being poised to invade any minute.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Circumcision, as it’s usually known.
    Circumspect. Surgical glasses
  • Options
    The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·16m⚡️ Ukrainian, Russian foreign ministers to meet in Turkey on March 10.

Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov have agreed to meet in Turkey’s coastal Antalya province, according to their Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited March 2022
    Gas (April delivery)

Currently £6.80/therm (~23.2p/kWh)

Went as high as £8/therm, earlier (~27.3p/kWh)
  • Options
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

1. Rubbish.

Not entirely true, I'm afraid. Look, as one example, at Switzerland. Or, for another, at the USA, which threw off it's colonial masters. Or Ireland.
    On the other had, there are the 'nations' which were created, or re-created, after WWI, few of which still exist
    And in Africa colonial boundaries are, so far, respected, whereas in the Middle East and perhaps the Caucasus such boundaries have contributed to chaos.
    Switzerland has largely avoided invasion by being a tax haven and neutral in virtually every war.

The USA threw off its colonial masters after a war with Britain and has only ensured its security now by being a military and economic superpower.

If Britain had a Putin like leader who knows what they would do? Militarily they could probably invade the Republic of Ireland and reunite it with the UK even if that would leave them as internationally isolated and condemned as Putin is now after his invasion of Ukraine and facing a long guerrilla war of resistance.

Even in Africa and the Middle East although there have been plenty of civil wars, rarely has one country invaded its neighbour, with the odd exception like Saddam's invasion of Kuwait
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Interestingly Ukraine seems to have recaptured Mykolayiv airport - Russia must be questioning what they’ve let themselves in for

4th SU-34 confirmed to be shot down, as well as Ukrainians making big claims about destroying 30 helicopters in Kherson airport last night.

https://twitter.com/ALanoszka/status/1500804173276848134. There's a satellite photo showing 49 helicopters there at 00:27 this morning, reports of fighting and explosions at the air base last night, but no photographic proof of the destroyed helicopters yet.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Russia is a big place. Yes, it depends how far Putin trusts China and the extent to which he believes his own propaganda about Nato being poised to invade any minute.
    My experience with Gen X Russians when I was there was that most said they were more frightened of nuclear oblivion after the Cold War than during it. Decades of Evil Empire rhetoric from the West had stuck and many believed that the West would take the opportunity of a failing economy, rusting military and drunken leader to make a first strike. Hence why strongman Putin has been popular, he allowed them to let go of that fear. I find it hard to believe that military command would be willing to leave the back door open to NATO, especially at a time of such heightened tension.

Further, I’m not sure what evidence base Putin would have to trust Xi to the extent that it made him comfortable to leave Siberia undefended. I’ve certainly not seen it.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·16m⚡️ Ukrainian, Russian foreign ministers to meet in Turkey on March 10.

Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov have agreed to meet in Turkey’s coastal Antalya province, according to their Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.

Are they big snooker fans? Turkish Masters is on in Antalya this week.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

Wasn't that the Mongolian approach in Middle Ages? Walk/ride up to a city. Tell them to surrender and join the mongol empire or we kill everyone. If the city refuses they kill every living thing and burn it all to the ground and then move on.
  • Options

Not just any old ship. says Wiki:

"The ship Vasily Bykov participated in the Battle of Snake Island on 24 February during the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine"

That's some fucking karma, right there.
  • Options
    Russian CDS at 2,500 bps.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    ping said:

Gas (April delivery)

Add a couple of pence/kWh for retail.

Energy bills gonna hurt like crazy.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

4th SU-34 confirmed to be shot down, as well as Ukrainians making big claims about destroying 30 helicopters in Kherson airport last night.

https://twitter.com/ALanoszka/status/1500804173276848134. There's a satellite photo showing 49 helicopters there at 00:27 this morning, reports of fighting and explosions at the air base last night, but no photographic proof of the destroyed helicopters yet.
    Could be anything tbh, but:

"Apparently this is the moment 30 Russian helis were ambushed by Ukrainian soldiers"

https://twitter.com/rkozlowski13/status/1500802377057718279
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,279

@ragipsoylu

• Demilitarisation

There's probably a deal to be had on the second point but the first is unacceptable.

Countries cannot be asked to disarm - they have a right to defend themselves.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    ping said:

Gas (April delivery)

That's about five times the retail rates of a year ago.
  • Options
    NEW: Government chaos as Boris Johnson distances himself from Priti Patel on Ukrainian refugees, while also saying it's "not right" that only 50 have been granted visas to come to the UK.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-priti-patel-refugees_uk_6225f554e4b012a2628db826
This discussion has been closed.