Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sunak and Truss drop sharply in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Russian CDS at 2,500 bps.

What is that?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    @christogrozev
    Two persons close to the Russia-Ukraine negotiations (including back channel talks) tell me Russia proposed (1) Zelensky remains pro forma president but Russia appoints Boiko as PM, (2) Ukraine recognizes L/DNR and Crimea, (3) No NATO. Ze told them emphatically no.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1500812687009267712
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,261
    edited March 2022

"Two persons close to the Russia-Ukraine negotiations (including back channel talks) tell me Russia proposed (1) Zelensky remains pro forma president but Russia appoints Boiko as PM, (2) Ukraine recognizes L/DNR and Crimea, (3) No NATO. Ze told them emphatically no."

That's more or less not much more than before the start of the war, suggests that Moscow may be starting the realise the size of their mistake, and not have the confidence that they can correct it on the battlefield?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·16m⚡️ Ukrainian, Russian foreign ministers to meet in Turkey on March 10.

Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov have agreed to meet in Turkey’s coastal Antalya province, according to their Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.

Are they big snooker fans? Turkish Masters is on in Antalya this week.
    There's worse places for a meeting

I went on holiday to Kemer near Antalya back in 2014, was a nice holiday. It's also full of Russian tourists.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    BigRich said:

What is that?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_default_swap

It's *supposed* to be a form of insurance against default....
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    edited March 2022
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

France, OpinionWay/Kéa Partners poll:

Macron (EC-RE): 30% (+2)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 18%
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 13%
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 11% (-1)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 10% (-1)

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

Fieldwork: 4-7 March 2022
    Sample size: 1,672

Reasonable poll for Le Pen, terrible for Zemmour.

The French election looks almost like a foregone conclusion. Le Pen getting
    16-18% to get into the 2nd round then losing 60-40. Only way it gets interesting interesting is if Melenchon wins over Jadot and Rousell supporters.

Latest runoff poll is actually Macron 56.5% Le Pen 43.5%. Yes that is a clear Macron win but still much closer than the 66% to 34% he beat Le Pen by in 2017
    https://www.ifop.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/ROL22_2022.03.04.pdf.

Do not forget too there are legislative elections in June Les Republicains have a chance of winning even if Macron is re elected
    I'm interested in your view as to why Pécresse has turned out to be such a disaster. When she emerged as a serious contender, I really thought she had a good chance of defeating Macron from the non-extreme right. Why has she gone backwards?
    It's interesting that Macron is a fairly unpopular President, whose party has no real roots in the country, and yet who wins because his rivals to right and left excite strong opposition.

It's the Liberal Party of Canada's century old strategy.
    It works more often than it doesn't.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    Chameleon said:

"Two persons close to the Russia-Ukraine negotiations (including back channel talks) tell me Russia proposed (1) Zelensky remains pro forma president but Russia appoints Boiko as PM, (2) Ukraine recognizes L/DNR and Crimea, (3) No NATO. Ze told them emphatically no."

That's more or less not much more than before the start of the war, suggests that Moscow may be starting the realise the size of their mistake, and not have the confidence that they can correct it on the battlefield?

Does Ukraine get to appoint Russia’s PM too and take an equivalently sized piece of land anywhere it likes from Russia?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    BigRich said:

What is that?
    Credit default swaps at 2500 basis points

which I think means if Russia owes you $100 it will cost you $25 as an insurance premium against them not paying
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    BigRich said:

What is that?
    In short, the money markets think it is ~80% likely that Russia will default on foreign debt, the majority of that risk in the next year.

That is however only USD and GBP-denominated debts. Plenty of Russia's debt is in Rubles, and the Russian government has plenty of those, plus a central bank.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490

BigRich said:

What is that?
    In short, the money markets think it is ~80% likely that Russia will default on foreign debt, the majority of that risk in the next year.

That is however only USD and GBP-denominated debts. Plenty of Russia's debt is in Rubles, and the Russian government has plenty of those, plus a central bank.
    Hyperinflation is just another form of default…
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Russia has now committed well over 90 percent of the massive force that was gathered around Ukraine before 24 February, and is still unable to take its early objectives, let alone work out, should they be taken, how they might be occupied and then governed. This suggests there is not much spare capacity for the western parts of the country, which is where Ukrainian forces, commanded from Lviv, could regroup with supplies coming in from Poland, Slovakia and possibly Hungary, if Kyiv were to fall.

https://samf.substack.com/p/space-and-time?r=15i4j0&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    IshmaelZ said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

which I think means if Russia owes you $100 it will cost you $25 as an insurance premium against them not paying
    Surprised it is that low frankly.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,337
    The Russian brought their full dress uniform with medals to Ukraine, in order to then go through a solemn parade along Khreshchatyk in Kyiv. But something went wrong :)
    #StandWithUkraine https://twitter.com/avalaina/status/1500815254892257282/photo/1
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,141
    malcolmg said:

Applicant said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Essexit said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Gas: up 74%
    20 times its previous trend level https://twitter.com/BBCDouglasF/status/1500754883737174018/photo/1

The nature of our society is that many people don't care about things that don't directly affect them. They don't really care about the news unless it is sport or entertainment. Ukraine still won't have resonated much. Nor has the arguments about forthcoming tax rises.

What slams them now is the exploding price of road and heating fuels, gas, food and soon everything. And then there is supposedly a whopping tax rise to fund the NHS getting worse before it gets better.

Piers Morgan is one of many "i'm dead influential me" commentators demanding airstrikes and no fly zones. I don't think most normals want that - they don't want Russian airstrikes on Dudley as retaliation, and they don't want the war to completely bugger their ability to drive their car, heat their house etc.

So in answer to the question as to what the Nigel thinks he will do next and his reaction against "Net Zero 2050" I think there is a sizeable audience. Anti-war, anti-price rises, anti-woke crap (which includes green crap).
    Farage can sniff out opportunities. Even before the current war Net Zero was an unachievable, astonishingly expensive vainglorious nonsense. A form of net zero or at least big reductions in emissions can be implemented, still at great cost, but it would require a lot of nuclear power generation and pragmatism over fracking and exploitation of our fossil fuel resources in the transition.
    Sorry - but anyone who thinks fracking within the UK solves anything just confirms how absolutely clueless they are.

It doesn't work for multiple reasons which can be confirmed by other posters on here who understand both the geology, technology and the marketplace.

Oh and Farage is an idiot, the best approach now is to do the exact opposite of Putin's stooge and reduce the demand for gas.
    It seems to me, and I am not an expert by any means, but locally fracking would be possible in Lancashire at least but for the politics?

It might just be spin, but from what I've heard it would be economical and the measurements of the earth tremors that put a halt to the project would be comparable to a truck driving past a house nearby. Is that not true?

The politics of NIMBYism seems to be the thing that has put a real block to it, my personal preference would be to say "f**k the NIMBYs" but that's always my attitude, including in my own backdoor. However its not going to happen, so offshore hydrocarbon development probably remains the best alternative for the transition would be my best uneducated guess.
    You Tory halfwits will not be happy till you have F***ed the water table for a few litres of gas. Typical short sighted greedy lying cheating Tories.
    Take a chill pill Malc.
    F*** off, who are you to try and tell me what to post. Fracking is a disaster for the water table and only ignorant greedy crooked liars would want to do it for all the measly benefit it would provide.
    For all his explosions and foul-mouthed abuse on here, I would not be at all surprised to find that Malc is a very pleasant person in real life.
    OKC, I am indeed a gentleman but I cannot suffer ignorant no mark keyboard warriors thinking they know everything and pontificating on people. As you say I have cultured conversations with like minded people like yourself and treat the morons as they deserve to be treated.
    But you don't do that last bit.
    I merely reply in kind , if the poster is cultered/decent I will reply pleasantly at worst , if bollox I will say so and for the few morons I will treat them as they deserve. I do try to have some fun at the same timeit is after all only the internet. You will note I am never anything but civil to those that are real gentlemen.
    Others are just fun, ie Carlotta and I have strong banter back and forth and all taken as it should be on both sides.
    No, you are just a rude and childish little thug to anyone who questions your simplistic view of Scotland.

You have used your repetition of words such as moron, cretin imbecile without the understanding of irony that your level of your posts suggests your intelligence might well meet one of these anachronistic criteria. That is how your spat with me began.

You hope that hurling incoherent abuse at people will stop them them questioning your immature world view. You are far more prejudiced and right wing in your views than any of the right wing Tories you claim to despise, whether it is your views on modernity, or the rights of trans people you are more gammon and dinosaur than Nigel Farage.
    moonshine said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

Hyperinflation is just another form of default…
    Correct, but is does not trigger a credit default and is therefore not measured.

Russian bonds are trading even worse, because of this risk, plus the risk that you get paid in Roubles (on a USD bond) and can't access your money.
    Somebody is not telling the truth. Bets on who..?

🔴 NEW: Boris Johnson denies overruling spy agencies on Lord Lebedev's peerage

Follow the latest updates on our @TelePolitics liveblog ⬇️
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/07/boris-johnson-news-russia-ukraine-talks-uk-support-sanctions/ https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1500814082584293382/photo/1

It appears that the Ukrainians may have sunk one of the Black Sea Fleet using a captured Grad rocket launcher.

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1500797084726964231

If accurate, and the photo looks real,

That's a Project 22160 patrol ship, which at 1,400 - 1,700 Tones would be a small fringes or large corvette in Weston nomeclitcher. so a significant warship. It looks badly damaged, but with just one hit above the water line it is probably not going to sink, with the caveat that sometimes fires can spread.

If this persuaded the Russian navy to stay a bit further from the coast, than that is significant as it will mean Ukraine can re-deeply some of there land forces that where there to other sectors.

its posible the ship is the first of the class that was one of the ships at the 'battle of Snake island' if so its a grate ending to the 'Go F*ck Yourself Russian Warship' Meme

IshmaelZ said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

Surprised it is that low frankly.
    It's not that simple; CDS rates currently imply an 80% chance of default. It's effectively $25/year for five years, to insure $100.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptcy-law/russia-cds-signal-80-chance-of-default-on-ruble-payment-concern
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768

BigRich said:

What is that?

What will be interesting / a source of lawyers fees going forward I suspect is what counts as a default. If Russia says "Yes, I am willing and able to pay this debt that is owed, but it's in USD and the only reason that I can't pay it is that you are blocking my USD payment ability - look it's there in the Fed Reserve" does that count as a technical default?

Russia has now committed well over 90 percent of the massive force that was gathered around Ukraine before 24 February, and is still unable to take its early objectives, let alone work out, should they be taken, how they might be occupied and then governed. This suggests there is not much spare capacity for the western parts of the country, which is where Ukrainian forces, commanded from Lviv, could regroup with supplies coming in from Poland, Slovakia and possibly Hungary, if Kyiv were to fall.

https://samf.substack.com/p/space-and-time?r=15i4j0&s=w&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Worth pointing out that US military have said their central estimate is 5,000 Russian fatalities (with low confidence), at a 4:1 wounded/deserter:fatality ratio, that's about 12-13% attrition in about 10 days. With the supply chains being stuffed (see increased videos of vehicle abandonment in the south), there's a serious prospect of the Russian army just collapsing if this continues on for much longer.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475

IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

French official on EU defence: "We are missing the strategic discussions with the UK. We can't do it with Germany. It's our biggest crisis ever and we really miss the UK angle."

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1500760872783908864

This is why Putin wanted Brexit.
    Exactly . Not sure why some Leavers refuse to accept that Putin wanted Brexit and was hoping it would lead to a domino effect so whether they like it or not those are the facts .

Perhaps the realization that their vote could have helped Putin is a bit too much for them to bear at this time !
    Because its Remainer BS.

Putin is against NATO. The EU if anything was increasingly a threat to NATO, hence why people like Macron were calling NATO 'braindead'.

The biggest strategic mistake that Putin has made is reuniting and reinvigorating NATO, not reinvigorating the EU.
    You are in denial. Brexit was a major victory for Putin. Many of us said so at the time. It was one of the things (along with Trumpism in the US) that emboldened him. He thought it showed cracks in Western cohesion. His next ambition with respect to UK is it's breakup which is why he has invested so much in cultivating links with the SNP, just like he did with the Brexity end of the Conservative Party. One can argue over the rights and wrongs of Brexit, but to suggest that it wasn't in Putin's interest, or that he didn't do everything he could to encourage it is just dumb.
    Nah breaking up the UK is actually in Russia's interests since it screws with things like the GIUK gap, the UK's nuclear defences etc

Brexit wasn't. Its NATO that stands up to Russia.

If anything a more united EU and Brexit go hand-in-hand since the UK in the EU was obstructionist, unhappy and unwilling for decades. Without the UK in there, the EU can be stronger and more united than it could be with us vetoing and objecting to everything.

The EU, USA, UK and Canada etc as allies in NATO can and easily are standing up to Russia post-Brexit. Brexit hasn't weakened any of that, if anything it makes it stronger by ending the divisions that already existed pre-Brexit.
    Brexit weakened the UK and ScotIndy would do so further. Hence Putin likes them both.
    Two things can be true, can't they:

1. Putin/Russia really had no influence on Brexit, either directly or indirectly, and has bigger fish to fry. The same would apply, but even less so, in the event of Scot Ref 2.

2. Putin is delighted that the UK has left the EU. He would also be pleased if the UK broke up, although in geo-political terms he wouldn't see it as that big a deal.
    I don't think Putin is that bothered that the UK has left the EU. Longer term, its certainly against Putin's interests that Brexit has happened, the UK remaining was in Russia's interests.

However breaking up the UK would be in Russia's interests. It screws with the GIUK gap, it screws with the nuclear deterrent. It has major geo-political implications.

Having said that, I still think Scottish independence would be a good idea, despite it being in Russia's interests. We should do what's in our own interests, not simply oppose Russia's, and Scotland (like the UK with Europe) would be better as a neighbour of England than an unhappy tenant of the UK.

Scottish independence, like Brexit, would end the divisions that have plagued Scottish politics for decades and both allow and force grown up Scottish politics that aren't possible right now.
    What will be the catalyst for grown up English politics that clearly aren't possible right now?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    Scott_xP said:

Somebody is not telling the truth. Bets on who..?

🔴 NEW: Boris Johnson denies overruling spy agencies on Lord Lebedev's peerage

Follow the latest updates on our @TelePolitics liveblog ⬇️
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/07/boris-johnson-news-russia-ukraine-talks-uk-support-sanctions/ https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1500814082584293382/photo/1

If someone can find evidence of the spy agencies........
    I'm sure, but only sure, that HOLAC was 'not happy'!
    Scott_xP said:

The Russian brought their full dress uniform with medals to Ukraine, in order to then go through a solemn parade along Khreshchatyk in Kyiv. But something went wrong :)
    #StandWithUkraine https://twitter.com/avalaina/status/1500815254892257282/photo/1

Was it Pharsalus where the Optimates spent the night before the battle quarrelling about who would get what from Caesar's vast fortune and setting up a massive feat for after they had won the battle?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,026

@christogrozev
    Two persons close to the Russia-Ukraine negotiations (including back channel talks) tell me Russia proposed (1) Zelensky remains pro forma president but Russia appoints Boiko as PM, (2) Ukraine recognizes L/DNR and Crimea, (3) No NATO. Ze told them emphatically no.

It does suggest Russia is looking for a way out though and starting to make concessions.

They wanted him dead a week ago.
    His lips are moving...

Q: Did you intervene to to secure a peerage for Evgeny Lebedev when the Security Services thought he posed a national Security threat?

Boris Johnson: That's simply incorrect

Q: Did you meet with him in March 2020, at the height of the pandemic, to discuss giving him a peerage?
    https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1500806310538919938/video/1
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,312
    FF43 said:

Road sign in Odessa

Straight on: fuck off
    Left: fuck off again
    Right: fuck off to Russia

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1500735087398240256

Complaints about it being photoshopped. It is in fact a UK Home Office information panel for Ukrainian refugees in Calais.

The photoshopping claims are funny, given the journo claims to have taken the photo himself. Not just a random image re-share.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656

What does this mean?

Are they more fucked than a tory intern who looks like a young Thatcher?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130
    Lennon said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

What will be interesting / a source of lawyers fees going forward I suspect is what counts as a default. If Russia says "Yes, I am willing and able to pay this debt that is owed, but it's in USD and the only reason that I can't pay it is that you are blocking my USD payment ability - look it's there in the Fed Reserve" does that count as a technical default?
    Presumably, if you were to turn up at the Fed with the bond, they’d pay you out of the frozen reserves?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    Lennon said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

Something similar has caused years of problems with Iran.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Malmesbury, indeed.

And at Arausio, Caepio and his fellow commander/adversary (whose name escapes me) were so confident they launched an unco-cordinated attack on a much larger force. Which obliterated them.
    Scott_xP said:

His lips are moving...

Q: Did you intervene to to secure a peerage for Evgeny Lebedev when the Security Services thought he posed a national Security threat?

Boris Johnson: That's simply incorrect

Q: Did you meet with him in March 2020, at the height of the pandemic, to discuss giving him a peerage?
    https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1500806310538919938/video/1

Denies intervention, repeatedly fails to deny mar 2020 meeting.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

16-18% to get into the 2nd round then losing 60-40. Only way it gets interesting interesting is if Melenchon wins over Jadot and Rousell supporters.

Latest runoff poll is actually Macron 56.5% Le Pen 43.5%. Yes that is a clear Macron win but still much closer than the 66% to 34% he beat Le Pen by in 2017

Do not forget too there are legislative elections in June Les Republicains have a chance of winning even if Macron is re elected
    I'm interested in your view as to why Pécresse has turned out to be such a disaster. When she emerged as a serious contender, I really thought she had a good chance of defeating Macron from the non-extreme right. Why has she gone backwards?
    It's interesting that Macron is a fairly unpopular President, whose party has no real roots in the country, and yet who wins because his rivals to right and left excite strong opposition.

It's the Liberal Party of Canada's century old strategy.
    It works more often than it doesn't.
    Indeed and ideologically Macron is very close to Trudeau, also a charismatic relatively young leader like he is.

Trudeau will likely be in power for 10 years given the next Canadian election is not due until 2025 and he was first elected in 2015. Macron if he is re elected will also ensure he is power until at least 2027, 10 years after he was first elected in 2017
    F1 - Rumour that Mercedes have a B-spec car ready for the second test, to add to the rumour that they were sandbagging at the first test. Might be time to head to the bookie before the odds go silly.
    Chameleon said:

Interestingly Ukraine seems to have recaptured Mykolayiv airport - Russia must be questioning what they’ve let themselves in for

4th SU-34 confirmed to be shot down, as well as Ukrainians making big claims about destroying 30 helicopters in Kherson airport last night.

https://twitter.com/ALanoszka/status/1500804173276848134. There's a satellite photo showing 49 helicopters there at 00:27 this morning, reports of fighting and explosions at the air base last night, but no photographic proof of the destroyed helicopters yet.
    Is that a 4th SU-34 of the whole war or the last 24 hours?

Lennon said:

BigRich said:

What is that?

Something similar has caused years of problems with Iran.
    Some hints from the FT here:

https://www.ft.com/content/951f033c-51f9-4191-8fa3-4b7bdf1d2af2
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Sandpit, I hope not.

Tired of Mercedes domination.
    IshmaelZ said:

Denies the specific allegation in the form put to him is correct. He may be complaining the punctuation is incorrect...

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·16m⚡️ Ukrainian, Russian foreign ministers to meet in Turkey on March 10.

Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov have agreed to meet in Turkey’s coastal Antalya province, according to their Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.

Are they big snooker fans? Turkish Masters is on in Antalya this week.
    And the Ukrainian Boiko is playing tomorrow.
    Presumably not the putative puppet PM.
    Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

Insuring against Russian default is getting to be like insuring an 18 year old Arab princeling to drive a Bugatti Veyron - yeah, you can sort of do it, but the price is basically......
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,019
    What's this about Patriarch Kirill blaming the West for the war because they organise genocides in countries that don't stage gay parades?

Surely can't be an accurate translation? Or an attempt to get support from the "anti-woke" nutters?
    Briefing war between BoZo and Priti (can't they both lose...)

Boris Johnson implies he's sticking with 2 schemes already announced - despite Patel's remarks.

No 10 suggests Home Sec was referring to sponsorship route (more details this week).

But PM did add situation was “evolving the whole time”, so more possible

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-uk-visas-plan-ukraine-26404516

Here's what HO source told me last night on new route:
    “As crisis is developing it is becoming clear some people have needs that go beyond what sponsorship can offer and she does not want to see anyone excluded - hence why being considered.”

No10 being disingenuous - at best

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1500817521603235842
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,651
    malcolmg said:

WRT the Ukraine war and the case for Scottish independence, people should not be so dismissive. Two glaringly obvious conclusions are already clear and obvious:

1. Self-determination is sacrosanct. The heroic stand of the Ukrainian people and their government against being swallowed whole by the Russian empire is something we will celebrate long after this war is over.

Its a difficult swing from "how marvellous that Ukrainian people still choose their own government" to "however Scotland votes it remains British" as pushed by HY and others

2. Local oil and gas resources are precious. The 2014 pitch was built heavily on an oil and gas economy which later collapsed with the price of oil. We are about to see record prices and no sign of them collapsing later due to the complete remapping of supplies.

On paper the SNP are dead against fossil fuels. Watch that abruptly reverse when they realise that as the west snuggles up to Iran and Venezuela to replace Russia they can also snuggle up to Scotland.

So I don't see the slightly triumphantist "this knackers the SNP" position. It is the opposite. A clarion call for self-determination. A future where energy self-sufficiency and safe supplies are paramount. A huge hypocritical turnaround from today's position? Sure - but so what? The world is changing hugely and quickly...

Thoughtful post, but completely wrong in its conclusions. I don't think many people will be equating the devastation in Ukraine with Scotland. I think they will be seeing that hanging together is better than hanging apart.

You may be right about an SNP volte face on their policy of scrapping Scotland's oil and gas sector. But, in order to do that, they would have to junk their increasingly embarrassing partnership with the Greens. That would entirely upend Sturgeon's political strategy.

I don't see the Ukrainian crisis leading to a swing to Yes. But then, who truly knows in these unpredictable times?
    As a hang togetherer I personally agree with your premise there. But the existing union is increasingly unfit for purpose and needs reform. The status quo is unattractive. And we're about to see a big pro self-determination push...
    Mebbes, but the Holyrood parliament already has considerable powers. We could go full "home-rule" but presumably that would mean an end to Barnett and fiscal transfers northwards.

My basic contention is that Scots are extremely unlikely to knowingly vote to make themselves poorer. This puts the Yes campaign in a difficult position. They can only win by knowingly misleading the population.

BTW - a strange time for Blackford to double-down on chucking out Trident.

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1500739819525316611
    He knows public opinion in Scotland , seemingly you don't.
    Public opinion is not carved in stone, though.

A few folk will surely now be wondering if unilateral nuclear disarmament is really such a great idea after all.

Problem is that so far as SNP concerned it's a shibboleth and they can't easily resile. Plus the alliance with the Greens. So stuck with the policy.
    kamski said:

What's this about Patriarch Kirill blaming the West for the war because they organise genocides in countries that don't stage gay parades?

Surely can't be an accurate translation? Or an attempt to get support from the "anti-woke" nutters?

Kirill is a Putin stooge, no surprise
  • Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Denies the specific allegation in the form put to him is correct. He may be complaining the punctuation is incorrect...
    Just for clarification is this person the one who came here when he was 8, is a British citizen, and wrote a column in the evening standard last week condemning Putin ?
    It's honestly incredible how quickly the 3rd most feared armed forces in the world has just collapsed in perception, even if they do conquer Ukraine (which has gone from a certainty to looking somewhat unlikely in under 2 weeks). They've been revealed to ave poor soldiers, even poorer logistics, shocking maintenance, and very small amounts of modern equipment (e.g. their planes are back to using dumb bombs).
    kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    Spreading anti-gay, anti-West, anti-woke, nationalist bollocks from every pulpit every week.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

@malcolmg Are you a rabbi ?

LOL, I am more likely to be Pope, they would have had me out the door at the start of the apprenticeship.
    I am Church of Scotland (lapsed ) which would present issues I believe.
    Only asked because you seem to be waging a war on foreskin.
    malcolmg is a teenage boy???? .. :astonished:
    kamski said:

Perhaps PB's anti-woke nutters can comment on whether it strikes a chord with them?

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

Insuring against Russian default is getting to be like insuring an 18 year old Arab princeling to drive a Bugatti Veyron - yeah, you can sort of do it, but the price is basically......
    That’s a bit harsh on the Arab kid. Some of them manage not to crash the car.

Scott_xP said:

Was it Pharsalus where the Optimates spent the night before the battle quarrelling about who would get what from Caesar's vast fortune and setting up a massive feat for after they had won the battle?
    Like Hillary Clinton's attention in 2016 being on the detail of her victory ball.

There probably comes a tipping point at which Putin becomes a busted flush, we know that anyone he instructs to launch a nuke instructs him to fuck off, and Western forces can safely move into Ukraine. Alternatively, we think he is so mad that he can't distinguish between provocations anyway so nothing we do increases the risk of an order being given. He has a very fine line to tread, appearing mad overall but rational about the potential triggers of his madness. Give it a couple more days and I might even be advocating boots on the ground.
    BigRich said:

Chameleon said:

Interestingly Ukraine seems to have recaptured Mykolayiv airport - Russia must be questioning what they’ve let themselves in for

4th SU-34 confirmed to be shot down, as well as Ukrainians making big claims about destroying 30 helicopters in Kherson airport last night.

https://twitter.com/ALanoszka/status/1500804173276848134. There's a satellite photo showing 49 helicopters there at 00:27 this morning, reports of fighting and explosions at the air base last night, but no photographic proof of the destroyed helicopters yet.
    Is that a 4th SU-34 of the whole war or the last 24 hours?
    Whole war I believe, but these are only confirmed kills, not reported. Those 4 are the best part of $150m down the drain though!
    dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    Spreading anti-gay, anti-West, anti-woke, nationalist bollocks from every pulpit every week.
    He has also taken the Russian Orthodox Church out of communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church after Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople recognised the independence of the Church of Ukraine
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432
    Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

Or @TheScreamingEagles stepmoms on pornhub, presumably not his I hasten to add.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,019
    dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    Clearly an arsehole, didn't know anything about him before. But presumably has some authority in Russia?
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    He has also taken the Russian Orthodox Church out of communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church after Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople recognised the independence of the Church of Ukraine
    Yep. He ought to be regarded like the Ayatollah or the Taliban.
    It's only cos he isn't Muslim that he isn't already.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,743
    FF43 said:

Road sign in Odessa

Complaints about it being photoshopped. It is in fact a UK Home Office information panel for Ukrainian refugees in Calais.

I can imagine the Home Office installing exactly that wording on a sign for Ukrainian refugees in Calais.
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

A driving instructor I know told me this - A Chinese version of such a princeling was given a Koenigsegg by the father. Before passing the test......

Due to heroic efforts by the driving instructor, the princeling agreed to downgrade to a..... Porsche until having done advanced driving.......

Is it just me or is that a case of a parent who really, really doesn't like their child?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

Macron is actually one of the more popular French presidents of recent years. There have only been three elections in the past fifty years where one of the candidates breached 30% in the first round: Sarkozy (2007) Mitterrand (1988) and both Mitterrand and Giscard d'Estaing (1974). Interestingly Mitterrand was way ahead of Giscard in the first round of that election but Giscard picked up more transfers.

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Just for clarification is this person the one who came here when he was 8, is a British citizen, and wrote a column in the evening standard last week condemning Putin ?
    And whose dad amassed billions of dollars out of a KGB salary below the UK average wage by frugal living and prudent investment. And who paid Johnson and his party millions out of that fortune at about peerage time. He's a creep, and Johnson is a bigger one.
  • The EU are to open talks on Ukraine succession in the next few days

Excellent news
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899
    I see that the late great Shane Warne died of a heart attack, in his Thai villa, shortly after being visited by "two Thai masseuses"

If you have to go, at a horribly early age, that is the way to go

Ave atque vale
    kamski said:

dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    Clearly an arsehole, didn't know anything about him before. But presumably has some authority in Russia?
    He's the equivalent of the Pope for the Russian Orthodox.
    So yes. Quite a bit to say the least.
    FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

+/- vs. 1-4 March 2022

Macron is actually one of the more popular French presidents of recent years. There have only been three elections in the past fifty years where one of the candidates breached 30% in the first round: Sarkozy (2007) Mitterrand (1988) and both Mitterrand and Giscard d'Estaing (1974). Interestingly Mitterrand was way ahead of Giscard in the first round of that election but Giscard picked up more transfers.
    Indeed, had Hollande stood for re election in 2017 and Macron not run then Hollande probably would have lost.

Macron is the closest thing to a French Blair

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

A driving instructor I know told me this - A Chinese version of such a princeling was given a Koenigsegg by the father. Before passing the test......

Due to heroic efforts by the driving instructor, the princeling agreed to downgrade to a..... Porsche until having done advanced driving.......

Is it just me or is that a case of a parent who really, really doesn't like their child?
    It’s what happens when the parents never had money as youngsters, and don’t understand the danger of things like letting kids play with supercars because it’s so far outside their own frame of reference. The parents who are car-mad themselves, don’t let the kids play with the really fast ones.

In Abu Dhabi, the police have taken to renting out the F1 track once a month, they give free driving lessons to the kids in their own cars in the controlled environment, before letting them play for a few hours. It’s made quite the difference to the accident rate on the public roads over time, with the carrot and stick approach.
  • IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

And whose dad amassed billions of dollars out of a KGB salary below the UK average wage by frugal living and prudent investment. And who paid Johnson and his party millions out of that fortune at about peerage time. He's a creep, and Johnson is a bigger one.
    Is a son to be a victim of his father's wrongdoings ?
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

kamski said:

dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    More the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The closest equivalent to the Pope for the Eastern Orthodox Church is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople but Kirill has broken communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church in a form of mini Reformation within Orthodox Christianity

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

His money ought to be.
  • dixiedean said:

The EU are to open talks on Ukraine succession in the next few days

Excellent news

I hope you mean accession?
    Indeed
    Scott_xP said:

Hey Hubris, meet Nemesis
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Given the source of his wealth and the seeming increase in that wealth - it's a valid question to ask if that source of wealth may have an impact on his world view and real allegiances..

But the only way to fix it is to reform Party Political finance and stop anyone person or company from donating more than £x00 or £1000 a year.
    edited March 2022

Excellent news

It’ll happen a few years after Turkish accession, but the sentiment is really important.

At what point does Putin realise that Zelensky, the Ukranian people, and the whole international community, are not going to roll over?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

Tafheet is mint. 160km/h backwards entry drift in an Accord wearing sandals.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,738
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

WRT the Ukraine war and the case for Scottish independence, people should not be so dismissive. Two glaringly obvious conclusions are already clear and obvious:

1. Self-determination is sacrosanct. The heroic stand of the Ukrainian people and their government against being swallowed whole by the Russian empire is something we will celebrate long after this war is over.

Its a difficult swing from "how marvellous that Ukrainian people still choose their own government" to "however Scotland votes it remains British" as pushed by HY and others

2. Local oil and gas resources are precious. The 2014 pitch was built heavily on an oil and gas economy which later collapsed with the price of oil. We are about to see record prices and no sign of them collapsing later due to the complete remapping of supplies.

On paper the SNP are dead against fossil fuels. Watch that abruptly reverse when they realise that as the west snuggles up to Iran and Venezuela to replace Russia they can also snuggle up to Scotland.

So I don't see the slightly triumphantist "this knackers the SNP" position. It is the opposite. A clarion call for self-determination. A future where energy self-sufficiency and safe supplies are paramount. A huge hypocritical turnaround from today's position? Sure - but so what? The world is changing hugely and quickly...

1. Rubbish.

For starters Ukraine is an independent state already Russia has invaded unlike Scotland so when we refuse the SNP Scottish government demand for indyref2 it is just an internal matter.

Much like Spain refused Catalonia's nationalist government even 1 independence referendum and has had no reaction from the international community for that.

In fact if Russia's occupation of Ukraine is followed by Chinese occupation of Taiwan if anything that shows a trend away from independent states, especially ones trying to defy a larger and more powerful neighbour that has a government that believes they should be in union with them
    What is sacrosanct about the current arrangement of nation-states? Ever since we as a species developed beyond the concept of the time as a point of loyalty the state has been a fairly nebulous concept shifting and changing over time, sometimes as a result of military action.... revolution or conquest, sometimes peacefully.
    Well that is true, a large nation with a strong military and army and navy could invade its smaller neighbours and build empires comprising less powerful nations abroad through much of world history.

Just now it has generally been seen as unacceptable to do that and that independent states' sovereignty should be respected. Putin has just ripped up that consensus to try and rebuild a Russian empire
    Not entirely true, I'm afraid. Look, as one example, at Switzerland. Or, for another, at the USA, which threw off it's colonial masters. Or Ireland.
    On the other had, there are the 'nations' which were created, or re-created, after WWI, few of which still exist
    And in Africa colonial boundaries are, so far, respected, whereas in the Middle East and perhaps the Caucasus such boundaries have contributed to chaos.
    Switzerland has largely avoided invasion by being a tax haven and neutral in virtually every war.

I don't think the tax haven point is relevant - more that the universal conscription and the mountainous terrain made Switzerland an extremely tough nut to crack.

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't think it was the dad corruptly buying the peerage

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

His money ought to be.
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

kamski said:

dixiedean said:

kamski said:

He's a Putin puppet.
    More the Archbishop of Canterbury.

The closest equivalent to the Pope for the Eastern Orthodox Church is the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople but Kirill has broken communion with the Eastern Orthodox Church in a form of mini Reformation within Orthodox Christianity
    Yes. I almost said A of C.
    But I was asked if he had any influence.
    So I didn't think that was an accurate comparison :)
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

It’s what happens when the parents never had money as youngsters, and don’t understand the danger of things like letting kids play with supercars because it’s so far outside their own frame of reference. The parents who are car-mad themselves, don’t let the kids play with the really fast ones.

In Abu Dhabi, the police have taken to renting out the F1 track once a month, they give free driving lessons to the kids in their own cars in the controlled environment, before letting them play for a few hours. It’s made quite the difference to the accident rate on the public roads over time, with the carrot and stick approach.
    From what the driving instructor said, it sounds quite sad actually. The parents never come over - just a pile of money sent. Apparently the kid was really eager to do lots of driving qualifications and training - just something to do.....
  • eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Given the source of his wealth and the seeming increase in that wealth - it's a valid question to ask if that source of wealth may have an impact on his world view and real allegiances..

But the only way to fix it is to reform Party Political finance and stop anyone person or company from donating more than £x00 or £1000 a year.
    I have no problem with limiting donations and from all sources including unions

However, is there any evidence he has acted in a malign manner or are we at the stage now that just being a Russian or of Russian descent confers guilty association
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,414

Excellent news

Accession.
    I don't think there's any vacancy that might imply succession.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    The 100-billion-euro package for the Bundeswehr is intended to make the German armed forces the most powerful in Europe, says Minister Christian Lindner

https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/deutschland/militaer-verteidigung/id_91774874/christian-lindner-will-bundeswehr-zur-nummer-1-in-europa-machen.html
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249
    New conditions from Russia: Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk to be Russian or independent states. Ukraine not to join NATO or, possibly, the EU. Is to be "demilitarised".

It suggests to me that Russia are starting to get real about a deal, recognising the price for trying to impose one is going to be unbearable. But I can't imagine Ukraine accepting anything like this.

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

If the son's money were to come form that source, is it clean ?
  • Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

That raises huge issues for many inheritances
    edited March 2022

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

What does this mean?

From what the driving instructor said, it sounds quite sad actually. The parents never come over - just a pile of money sent. Apparently the kid was really eager to do lots of driving qualifications and training - just something to do.....
    It’s a big problem with Chinese students in the States. In China, imported cars are really expensive, like 3x the price because of Chinese taxes.

So the parents give the kid $250k and tell them to buy a car - which gets you an E-Class in China, but a Lamborghini in the US.

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dad is not dead.
  • Nigelb said:

Excellent news

Accession.
    I know - me and words!!!!
    Selebian said:

FF43 said:

Road sign in Odessa

The photoshopping claims are funny, given the journo claims to have taken the photo himself. Not just a random image re-share.
    I think it's a joke...
    Nigelb said:

Excellent news

Accession.
    Well, there's a vacancy for a permanently disgruntled member who pissed and moaned all through their association with the EU. Perhaps Ukraine may not want to take that as their model though.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Chameleon said:

It's honestly incredible how quickly the 3rd most feared armed forces in the world has just collapsed in perception, even if they do conquer Ukraine (which has gone from a certainty to looking somewhat unlikely in under 2 weeks). They've been revealed to ave poor soldiers, even poorer logistics, shocking maintenance, and very small amounts of modern equipment (e.g. their planes are back to using dumb bombs).

Potemkin was Russian. It’s interesting: the Russians historically have had huge successes with deception, disinformation and “maskirovka”, but every so often they forget that it’s only supposed to deceive others, and then make the fatal mistake of believing it themselves.
    Boris Johnson says it is “simply incorrect” to say he intervened in Lebedev’s peerage after Holac’s initial rejection based on a security assessment.

His denial is at direct odds with the multiple sources The Sunday Times spoke to, and later those who confirm story to @Peston

https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1500814919905820682
    No obvious gore, but plenty of numbing, brutal destruction.

"⚡️This is what Kharkiv morning looks like after a hard night under massive shelling by Putin's occupiers

🆘🆘🆘Share this peoples! Show all the world who is russia🆘🆘🆘

#war #Ukraine #RussianUkrainianWar #StopTheWarInUkraine #StopWar #HelpUkraineNow #PrayForUkraine #Putin"

https://twitter.com/VolodymyrTashak/status/1500822407501725700?s=20&t=rcWYBJOEIPdneAeQRTvKMw

I wonder if Putin's War is the most stupid war in history? It is genuinely hard to think of any other war which is so obviously self-harming and unwinnable

• Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dad is not dead.
    I did not know that - where does he live

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

However, is there any evidence he has acted in a malign manner or are we at the stage now that just being a Russian or of Russian descent confers guilty association
    No, he is a mate of the corrupt pig in no 10. Nationality doesn't come in to it
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,749
    edited March 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:
    Talking of referedumi does Farage's latest wheeze of having one on Net Zero/'Green Crap' have any legs?

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/nigel-farage-has-called-for-another-referendum-312193/

I mean, obviously you'd think not but then again Hartlepool exists and people like this would probably vote for it so who the fuck knows.

I think that we are too far down the road already.

Much of decarbonisation is already done, except for transport and residential. Transport is coming down the track, and they are thinking about residential.

The extensive offshore wind plans are very difficult to unwind, and cross-European energy infrastructure from the UK is being built at a furious pace.

There won't be very much that Farage can stop after the time it would take to get a referendum.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917

@christogrozev

It does suggest Russia is looking for a way out though and starting to make concessions.

They wanted him dead a week ago.
    If they drop demilitarisation, or pretend it's the same as no NATO that is a move by the Russians. Russia choosing the Ukrainian PM is a non-starter ( and wasn't mentioned in the other tweet within the thread). Ukraine certainly won't recognise Russian ownership of Crimea and Donbas, but that issue could conceivably be punted into the long grass by agreeing separate discussions

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dad is not dead.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lebedev
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,830
    edited March 2022
    It may be premature but could this war be turning in favour of Ukraine and very much with Putin on the back foot

It would be the answer to so many prayers
  • northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,639
    edited March 2022

eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

I might be being very ignorant here, but I can never understand drawing equivalence between the relatively small number of very rich people who largely entirely fund the Conservative Party (the delights of which we are witnessing now thanks to the Tory appetite for Russian money which, if the boot were on the other foot, would be getting a lot more angry comment from the right-leaning on here than it is currently. Imagine a Corbyn-led Labour in hock to dodgy foreign funding...) and the subs of tens of thousands of 'normal' people who fund the Labour Party via Trade Unions. A party that was established by the Trade Unions with the express intention of representing their members in Parliament.

It's something those on the right do a lot - 'yes we'll cap individual contributions, but only if the unions....' Obviously, I'm biased, but it always strikes me as a terrible argument to make. You might not be ideologically inclined to be a fan of Trade Unions - fair enough - but at least the funding is more transparent than relying on dodgy funding from a small pool of rich individuals?
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:

IshmaelZ said:

Dad is not dead.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Lebedev
    Thanks for that and he seems to mix in social circles across the political divide and including not only Boris but Sadiq Khsn
This discussion has been closed.