Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The fog of war – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

If Putin has come to the end of the road he might try to take the rest of us with him.

Russian state TV: “Our submarines alone can launch more than 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the US and NATO for good measure. The principle is: why do we need the world if Russia won’t be in it?”
    https://twitter.com/ilya_shepelin/status/1498022807627829250
    Hell's bells.

Someone needs to stop this madman. And fast.
    Moscow has had far more crazed nutcases than Putin over the decades and none of them launched nuclear weapons. They know full well Russia would be leveled if it happened. And they know that Russia will indeed "be in the world" if they don't. This is all an attempt to get others to back down. I.e. a bluff.
    His behaviour at the moment is eerily reminiscent of that of Brezhnev in his last years. Crazy foreign ventures. Threats of nuclear annihilation. Trying to sustain over-ambitious military spending at the expense of his country. Rampaging fraud and corruption in the government. The FSB extremely powerful.

Brezhnev, of course, had dementia, complicated by cardiovascular problems and alcoholism.

There may be more to these rumours about Putin's health.
    There could be, but I still don't really understand what's going on with him. He clearly is genuinely changed in some ways and embarked on a mad project to take Kiyiv, for instance, or to refer continually to 1940's history.

Yet I wonder what other elements might be performance here, particularly now when he's terrifying the world. Could it be some very strange mixture of elaborately planned theatre and genuine danger and illness, I wonder. We have to take him to a considerable degree at his word when he's making these kinds of threats, ofcourse.
    The rounded face could be either Botox or steroids..
    Nah, he has always looked like that.
    He really hasn't. He has a new football-shaped face

Young Putin was quite cheekboney

Mrs P thinks he looks like he's got Parkinson's.
    I just watched his video from earlier today, and he's definitely blinking and twitching in a slightly new way. Something's up.

20 years older, but he has always looked like that.

In Parkinson's blinking is reduced. Unless the sufferer over compensates by over blinking, often to help with reading.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,569
    HYUFD said:

Rubbish. There is nothing quisling about opposing expanding NATO from what began as a defensive organisation to defend western Europe in 1949, which was absolutely right from a UK perspective, to what in Russian eyes has become an aggressive organisation expanding right to the borders of Russia.

It was always asking for trouble

If you are representative of the Tory Party in 2022, you can all go to hell.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1497911200692289544?s=21

A member of the Belarusian military speaks to the Belarusian troops.

There's something going on with Lukashenko too. He seems to have been critical to the arranging the meeting today, and his form of words for the threat was quite odd.

"We have to be very careful, because nuclear war could be the end of everything." That could be interpreted as a direct threat to Putin and the regime, prophesying its end, as much as anything else, and for a hardman his face looked terrified.
    I found this encouraging:

Protesters in Minsk have encircled the building of the General Staff of the Defence Ministry of Belarus and are chanting "Glory to Ukraine!" https://t.co/caj03prp7N

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497940480578969604?t=GlM3Kp7uA1JbR9UySHl5Iw&s=19

And Lukashenko knows how many of his people support the Belarus government in exile. Even more than Putin, he is at risk of a Ceaucescu moment.
    Belarus government in exile is the world's longest serving. Since 1919!
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,455
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

NATO should not have tried to absorb the old nations of the USSR
    Quisling, cowardly, bollocks. Thank God we didn’t see the world in those terms in 1949 when NATO was founded, or whenever it has expanded.
    Rubbish. There is nothing quisling about opposing expanding NATO from what began as a defensive organisation to defend western Europe in 1949, which was absolutely right from a UK perspective, to what in Russian eyes has become an aggressive organisation expanding right to the borders of Russia.

“Yes sir, mr Putin sir. Where would you like our security boundary sir? Yes, absolutely you can dominate your neighbours and we will let you carry on”.

That’s basically your policy. It’s not humane. It’s not British.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,415

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Do some people really think that the difference between Putin deciding to destroy the world or not is really going to come down to the technicalities of NATO membership?

Had Ukraine not tried to join NATO Putin would likely not have invaded it in the first place.

You're on the wrong side.
    If I am on the side that wants to avoid WW3 and nuclear war unlike some of the hotheads on here, then proudly so!
    I you were Thatcher's son she'd put you up for adoption.
    Even Thatcher knew the importance of engaging with Gorbachev not provoking the USSR unnecessarily, that is how the Cold War ended.

Thatcher also famously opposed a reunited Germany as she believed it would be too powerful and agreed to hand back Hong Kong as per our lease as she knew we could never defend it from China.

Thatcher was not a hothead, she engaged in realpolitik as much as any rational leader
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,137
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

Jonathan said:

Someone, somewhere needs to find a way to stop escalating this. Is there anyone with a cool head?

Wouldn't look for one on PB to be honest. Most here are crying havoc and letting slip the dogs of war. Virtual dogs mind, I don't think anyone's joined the legion. But they are doing their bit by getting jolly cross and socking it to that PJohnson character in no uncertain terms.
    Lol mate I'm just trying to be realistic but my views don't seem to be welcome
    You are shilling for a fascist.
    I really am concerned that this poster is a malign influence on the site but then that is a matter for others
    @PJohnson has not said anything libellous, or horribly racist, or grotesquely violent towards another poster. He (she?) has not doxxed anyone or broken any other crucial rule

Let him speak. That is the point of PB. It is actually interesting to hear a quasi-pro-Putin opinion, when we are all so united against Russia. You need the contrary argument to avoid bubblethink
    I would normally agree with this. But a couple of people, notably @rcs1000 have tried to interrogate PJohnson on his / her views, but they just ignore them and carry on posting short, increasingly pro Putin, provocations. There have been many today (30 or 40?), and it is starting to get annoying, from my perspective at least.
    So scroll past and do not engage. That's the point

We should not ban people for opinions we find irritatingly stupid or childishly repetitive, and tediously immune to any debate. There would not be a Scot Nat left on the site, for a start
    Nor a flint-knapper! ;-)

I agree with you btw.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

If Putin has come to the end of the road he might try to take the rest of us with him.

Russian state TV: “Our submarines alone can launch more than 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the US and NATO for good measure. The principle is: why do we need the world if Russia won’t be in it?”
    Hell's bells.

Moscow has had far more crazed nutcases than Putin over the decades and none of them launched nuclear weapons. They know full well Russia would be leveled if it happened. And they know that Russia will indeed "be in the world" if they don't. This is all an attempt to get others to back down. I.e. a bluff.
    His behaviour at the moment is eerily reminiscent of that of Brezhnev in his last years. Crazy foreign ventures. Threats of nuclear annihilation. Trying to sustain over-ambitious military spending at the expense of his country. Rampaging fraud and corruption in the government. The FSB extremely powerful.

Brezhnev, of course, had dementia, complicated by cardiovascular problems and alcoholism.

There could be, but I still don't really understand what's going on with him. He clearly is genuinely changed in some ways and embarked on a mad project to take Kiyiv, for instance, or to refer continually to 1940's history.

Yet I wonder what other elements might be performance here, particularly now when he's terrifying the world. Could it be some very strange mixture of elaborately planned theatre and genuine danger and illness, I wonder. We have to take him to a considerable degree at his word when he's making these kinds of threats, ofcourse.

I just watched his video from earlier today, and he's definitely blinking and twitching in a slightly new way. Something's up.

In Parkinson's blinking is reduced. Unless the sufferer over compensates by over blinking, often to help with reading.
    Interesting..
  • Options
    A three-mile column of Russian troops and tanks have been seen "moving towards Kyiv" in satellite imagery taken on Sunday.

The images released by Maxar Technologies, a space technology company, showed a large deployment of Russian ground troops moving in the direction of the Ukrainian capital from approximately 40 miles (64 km) away.

Telegraph.

===

Meanwhile, tomorrow RU banks will collapse.
  • Options
    Interesting how "true conservatives" at C-PAC and "true Tories" on PB are united in either praising Putin with faint damn, or not damning him at all.

AND proclaiming (on cue?) that the invasion is NOT fault of Putin, but rather Joe Biden and/or the Ukrainians.

Meaning the Dog of War must be . . . wait for it . . . Hunter Biden!

Jesus wept.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,221

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-the-cabinets-seats-now-at-risk-reveals-new-poll-gtktx2r0w

The poll to which I refer.

Half the cabinet’s seats now at risk, reveals new poll

An election today would result in the Tories losing 164 seats, a survey suggests, and only 9 per cent of us believe PM ‘tells the truth’

"An election today" - just a bit of fun, then?

The election will be May 2024. You can take that to the bank.
    At this rate, we won't ever get there. Johnson could be PM for eternity.
    Is anyone is running a market on armageddon before a GE or New PM? If so, what is the value bet?
  • Options
    Interesting thread:

Why Russia will lose this war?

Much of the "realist" discourse is about accepting Putin's victory, cuz it's *guaranteed*. But how do we know it is?

I'll argue that analysts 1) overrate Russian army 2) underrate Ukrainian one 3) misunderstand Russian strategy & political goals🧵

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204?s=20
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

Quisling, cowardly, bollocks. Thank God we didn’t see the world in those terms in 1949 when NATO was founded, or whenever it has expanded.

“Yes sir, mr Putin sir. Where would you like our security boundary sir? Yes, absolutely you can dominate your neighbours and we will let you carry on”.

What utter rubbish.

In the 19th century we were often brutally mercenary in our realpolitik. The idea the UK is and has been some sort of liberal internationalist crusader going to war against any regime which is not the epitome of perfect liberalism is absurd.

I am a conservative grounded in realism, not a liberal grounded in idealism even when it leads us into unnecessary wars
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,632
    Aslan said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is a supporter of right wing autocracy. It is no surprise he is a traitor to Western values.
    Traitor is an extremely perjorative term and unfair as well. HYUFD is wrong on this specific issue but no way is he a traitor.

He’s right to oppose an escalation involving NATO.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,706
    Foxy said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/half-the-cabinets-seats-now-at-risk-reveals-new-poll-gtktx2r0w

An election today would result in the Tories losing 164 seats, a survey suggests, and only 9 per cent of us believe PM ‘tells the truth’

Is anyone is running a market on armageddon before a GE or New PM? If so, what is the value bet?
    Well, the value bet is always on the world surviving, for the reason that if you bet on the apocalypse, you don't get to collect your winnings no matter how attractive the odds were.
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Agreed
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

Russian police are starting to lose control of antiwar protests back home:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t2pwhd/russian_protestors_starting_to_protect_each_other/

Meanwhile Kharkiv and Kyiv still in Ukrainian hands. Russian stockmarket looks to melt down on Monday. Putin is really in danger of the whole thing backfiring. An intervention by a major Western power - say the RAF enforcing a no-fly zone - could really make the difference between a Russian Ukraine and the end of Putin.

Our policy makers should think about how Putin murdered British citizens on British soil and how now is their chance to ensure appropriate consequences.

I know I don't post much so I won't be missed but I'm quitting this forum for a while because of my anxiety levels. This is in no small part due to idiots like you who insist on trying to talk the world into nuclear war. Before I go let me repeat the minute a British jet comes into contact with a Russian one it's game over. If you want to see the Ukrainian flag fluttering over an irradiated wasteland then that's your affair but I sincerely hope no one in a position of power listens to you.
    Good riddance to muppets like you that think we must just let Putin do whatever he wants because he would willingly have every city in Russia wiped out in nuclear attacks. You are the people who would argue for battered wives submitting to their abusers to stop them getting hurt.
    As someone who has suffered from domestic abuse go fuck yourself.
    As a victim of domestic abuse, I would have thought you would not want to submit an entire nation to decades of imperialism abuse, but apparently empathy is expected but not given.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,049
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If I am on the side that wants to avoid WW3 and nuclear war unlike some of the hotheads on here, then proudly so!
    Your strategy fails on its own terms
    If countries are prevented by "spheres of influence" international relations from entering into mutual defence treaties, they will pursue unilateral defence solutions. That is, nuclear weapons. Non-proliferation is a really good idea because he risk that weapons fall into the hands of an unstable national leader (hmm) is higher the more countries have them.
    Additionally, proliferation increases the risk that non-state actors acquire them, and the spectre of radiological terror attacks suddenly becomes a lot likelier.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

BoZo and crew have had 3 goes at a policy for refugees and have still fucked it up.

The EU meanwhile is done and dusted

It is not really surprising when we have a govt containing a large number of xenophobic, nationalistic, inward-looking, sub-educated tw*ts.
    Can I put you down as a maybe then Mrs C?
    :D:D
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We might need the Martians to hold the deposits. Has anyone asked?
  • Options
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

Well if hotheads like you take charge we will all be going to the afterlife pretty swiftly anyway, as we would be heading for a nuclear war with Russia!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Aslan said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD is a supporter of right wing autocracy. It is no surprise he is a traitor to Western values.
    Traitor is an extremely perjorative term and unfair as well. HYUFD is wrong on this specific issue but no way is he a traitor.

He also supports abandonment of democracy and UDI if republicans become a majority in NI, and supported the June 6th insurrection in the US. He may not be a traitor to Britain but he is certainly a traitor to British values of democracy, the rule of law and liberty.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,088
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Well, the value bet is always on the world surviving, for the reason that if you bet on the apocalypse, you don't get to collect your winnings no matter how attractive the odds were.
    Kinda like Pascal's Wager, but with bombs
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,092
    biggles said:

Foxy said:

We might need the Martians to hold the deposits. Has anyone asked?
    @Elon to the courtesy phone, @Elon to the courtesy phone.
  • Options

I don't know about anybody else, but I hope we can get back to arguing about what items on the Greggs menu are VATable before the end of my lifetime.

Their stotties are excellent. I need to get some before the balloon goes up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

In the 19th century we were often brutally mercenary in our realpolitik. The idea the UK is and has been some sort of liberal internationalist crusader going to war against any regime which is not the epitome of perfect liberalism is absurd.

I am a conservative grounded in realism, not a liberal grounded in idealism even when it leads us into unnecessary wars
    Yes, well there in lies the difference between us. My view is that what’s “British” has evolved a touch since Palmerston left office. But then you are a Tory - picking the mid 19th century is pretty radical compared to some of your colleagues.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

Well yes. There was this "appeasement" policy in the 30s that you may have heard about.
    Even Hitler did not have nuclear weapons unlike Putin's Russia.

Plus the appeasement policy allowed us time to rearm
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

There's something going on with Lukashenko too. He seems to have been critical to the arranging the meeting today, and his form of words for the threat was quite odd.

"We have to be very careful, because nuclear war could be the end of everything." That could be interpreted as a direct threat to Putin and the regime, prophesying its end, as much as anything else, and for a hardman his face looked terrified.
    I found this encouraging:

Protesters in Minsk have encircled the building of the General Staff of the Defence Ministry of Belarus and are chanting "Glory to Ukraine!" https://t.co/caj03prp7N

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1497940480578969604?t=GlM3Kp7uA1JbR9UySHl5Iw&s=19

And Lukashenko knows how many of his people support the Belarus government in exile. Even more than Putin, he is at risk of a Ceaucescu moment.
    There is a possibility that if Lukashenko sends some Belarus soldiers in to Ukraine to help his friend/master they end up switching sides!

Which would be nice.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Aslan said:

Taz said:

Aslan said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

He also supports abandonment of democracy and UDI if republicans become a majority in NI, and supported the June 6th insurrection in the US. He may not be a traitor to Britain but he is certainly a traitor to British values of democracy, the rule of law and liberty.
    Er, for all his faults i don't think HYUFD supported the Jan 6th insurrection. Have you confused him with somebody else?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,289
    alex_ said:

eek said:

In the latest attempts by Russian trolls we have
    zerohedge
    @zerohedge
    ·
    3m
    Former White House Physician Says Biden Is Not Cognitively Fit To Deal With Russia Crisis

This is not news. He's a GOP congressman, prominent Trumpist, (also with a dubious back history involving copious amounts of alcohol).

Believe me, this is not Russian trolls. This is what's actually happening within the modern Republican party.

Don't forget the GOP voted overwhelmingly a few years ago to halt US military aid to Ukraine.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,207
    edited February 2022
    Maybe time to look at the off ramps.

Weeks ago I mentioned that the Russians left themselves few such avenues because the demands were simply not acceptable but there were also some potential wins. Lets bear in mind what the objectives could be that could be claimed as successes.

1. LPR & DPR recognition/ absorption. This is de facto anyway. The problem comes with the idea if that the territory that defines those two is bigger than they are now

2. Weaken the Ukrainian military to such a state that it represents no threat to the LPR & DPR. Open question here, will require more conflict but clearly this current conflict degrades the Ukrainian military

3. Take NATO membership off the table. This is viable, even if not in a written agreement, it could be claimed in practice because if that kind of trouble is the price for it, maybe Ukraine & NATO will think twice.

Some thinking out there that Putin may accept something to bail. Remember the publicly stated objectives of the Kremlin can be seen as a bit vague, plus the Russian military are stretched here, they have committed two thirds of their in-theater ground forces so far, and those in-theater forces represent about 70% of their standing army combat power.

One thing though, Ukraine would be mad to accept a ceasefire for a short period with positions in place unless there is clear sense of an agreement. That will potentially give Russia the chance to shore up its tail which has proven a problem for them

• Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

You are a right wing Faragist and should be in RFM not the conservative party
  • Options
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,673
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even Thatcher knew the importance of engaging with Gorbachev not provoking the USSR unnecessarily, that is how the Cold War ended.

Thatcher also famously opposed a reunited Germany as she believed it would be too powerful and agreed to hand back Hong Kong as per our lease as she knew we could never defend it from China.

Thatcher was not a hothead, she engaged in realpolitik as much as any rational leader
    By the time your career in politics reaches the HoC, I sincerely hope, by then, you will have grown a pair.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Taz said:

Gosh.
    That man has balls.
    It would be justice if Putin lost his grip on Belaraus and Ukraine. He could muse on karma whilst awaiting trial...
  • Options

An optimistic but I feel plausible scenario is demoralisation and mutiny spreads in the Russian armed forces and in the police, middle ranking officers join in and the senior staff find a way to remove Putin.

That is how the Carnation Revolution happened, disillusioned junior officers, unhappy with being cannon fodder in colonial wars. A mutiny, then a free country, albeit quite an abrupt and chaotic end to the Portuguese Empire.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

Well yes. There was this "appeasement" policy in the 30s that you may have heard about.

Oh my God, you’re defending a policy that was abandoned and repudiated by even it’s own supporters in about 1938!
  • Options
    There needs to be a massive carrot to encourage the Russian resistance: literally the lifting of every economic restriction, free trade deals, cooperation agreements and exchange programmes for students etc if they destroy Putin and his gangsters.

Make the decision for them as easy as possible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

Er - for most of the period of appeasement there was no rearmament. There are arguments justifying, eg. Munich on those grounds (Chamberlain suddenly realised we were screwed if we went to war then) but not most of the earlier 30s when Germany was basically allowed to massively rearm when we did nothing.

Also you were the one justifying your views now by calling to history. The prospect of WW2 was seen as pretty disastrous for the world in the 30s. Nuclear weapons weren't even envisaged.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By the time your career in politics reaches the HoC, I sincerely hope, by then, you will have grown a pair.
    I feel that being on the Payroll Vote would be the perfect role for Mr FUD.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,137
    Aslan said:

Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

Russian police are starting to lose control of antiwar protests back home:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t2pwhd/russian_protestors_starting_to_protect_each_other/

Meanwhile Kharkiv and Kyiv still in Ukrainian hands. Russian stockmarket looks to melt down on Monday. Putin is really in danger of the whole thing backfiring. An intervention by a major Western power - say the RAF enforcing a no-fly zone - could really make the difference between a Russian Ukraine and the end of Putin.

Our policy makers should think about how Putin murdered British citizens on British soil and how now is their chance to ensure appropriate consequences.

I know I don't post much so I won't be missed but I'm quitting this forum for a while because of my anxiety levels. This is in no small part due to idiots like you who insist on trying to talk the world into nuclear war. Before I go let me repeat the minute a British jet comes into contact with a Russian one it's game over. If you want to see the Ukrainian flag fluttering over an irradiated wasteland then that's your affair but I sincerely hope no one in a position of power listens to you.
    Good riddance to muppets like you that think we must just let Putin do whatever he wants because he would willingly have every city in Russia wiped out in nuclear attacks. You are the people who would argue for battered wives submitting to their abusers to stop them getting hurt.
    As someone who has suffered from domestic abuse go fuck yourself.
    As a victim of domestic abuse, I would have thought you would not want to submit an entire nation to decades of imperialism abuse, but apparently empathy is expected but not given.
    @Aslan your suggestion, that the RAF should enforce a no-fly zone over Ukraine, is ridiculous, completely unachievable and would be incredibly inflammatory even to attempt.

No one (beyond the PJ troll and @HYUFD it seems) is suggesting capitulating to Putin.

If anything the positive points you highlighted in your original post ("Russian police are starting to lose control of antiwar protests back home, Kharkiv and Kyiv still in Ukrainian hands, Russian stockmarket looks to melt down on Monday") seem to indicate that the policies already in place - support for Ukraine, isolate Russia, financial sanctions - are having a positive effect.

The tricky thing now is how to exit this mess so that it doesn't end in a nuclear armageddon.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,507
    PJohnson said:

Jonathan said:

Someone, somewhere needs to find a way to stop escalating this. Is there anyone with a cool head?

Wouldn't look for one on PB to be honest. Most here are crying havoc and letting slip the dogs of war. Virtual dogs mind, I don't think anyone's joined the legion. But they are doing their bit by getting jolly cross and socking it to that PJohnson character in no uncertain terms.
    You and Vlad both.
    He appears as disappointed as you by his reception.
  • Options

I don't know about anybody else, but I hope we can get back to arguing about what items on the Greggs menu are VATable before the end of my lifetime.

It's amazing, and hilarious, that for several months that was a massive deal in 2012.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,575
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Actually our lease wasn't on Hong Kong or Kowloon, only on the New Territories. Mrs Thatcher went further than she had to by the letter of the law. Mainly, aiui, because Hong Kong Island didn't have its own water supply.
  • Options

There needs to be a massive carrot to encourage the Russian resistance: literally the lifting of every economic restriction, free trade deals, cooperation agreements and exchange programmes for students etc if they destroy Putin and his gangsters.

We should be encouraging whoever might be persuaded to blow up roads and bridges in Russia headed for Ukraine.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,049

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD isn't even fit to pull pints in the Commons' bar.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

What makes a Tory is someone who can take a slightly cynical, cautious approach grounded in experience without the ideological zeal of a socialist or a liberal.

The fact unlike you I do not want to risk going to nuclear war with Russia over Ukraine, a non NATO nation, does not make me a Faragist populist, it makes me sane
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,021

9% finding Johnson honest -though surprisingly high -is likely less than the number that will find Putin cuddly.....

When your reputation is trashed it stays trashed. Even Shakespeare knew it.....

"Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed."
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,878

A promise of a fully stocked Tesco (other supermarkets are available) in every town?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Well if hotheads like you take charge we will all be going to the afterlife pretty swiftly anyway, as we would be heading for a nuclear war with Russia!

Some people seem to be itching for this

https://youtu.be/MrHoMSRZOS4
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,640
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

Er - for most of the period of appeasement there was no rearmament. There are arguments justifying, eg. Munich on those grounds (Chamberlain suddenly realised we were screwed if we went to war then) but not most of the earlier 30s when Germany was basically allowed to massively rearm when we did nothing.

Also you were the one justifying your views now by calling to history. The prospect of WW2 was seen as pretty disastrous for the world in the 30s. Nuclear weapons weren't even envisaged.
    That’s definitely not true. From 1934 on Britain was rearming. Spitfires, hurricanes and lancasters didn’t just appear from nowhere. The shadow factory system was set up. The navy acquired new battleships. The army ended up with wo4kable tanks.
    Sure most people hoped that war wouldn’t come, but to say we weren’t rearming during the period is totally false.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,207

Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson does a lot of strange things, but putting money in a Chechen bank is unlikely to be one of them. https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1498054698468659200

You need to quote that tweet..

BREAKING: Chechnya's Kadyrov says he will impose sanctions, including freezing Boris Johnson's assets in Chechen banks and stating 'there is no English tea', according to Russian media.
    There is rumour some of his lads have packed up and gone home.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,723
    Wales football confirm they will not play any matches against Russia. Statement below 👇 https://twitter.com/FAWales/status/1498051511145971720
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD isn't even fit to pull pints in the Commons' bar.
    Well if you lot have your way there won't be a Commons' bar, there won't even be a Palace of Westminster, it will have been obliterated with most of London in a nuclear holocaust
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

Hell's bells.

But I've not seen him twitching and blinking fast like that before. It wasn't so much the face but the movements, which also look suppressed by something, I would say. As a medical man you might find the video of interest - I would be interested to hear what you think, too.
    Blinking is a sign of nervousness. Parkinsonism generally reduces blinking, indeed patients often have to consciously blink. Occasionally it causes blepharospasm, but that looks different to blinking.

• Options
    Yokes said:

Maybe time to look at the off ramps.

Weeks ago I mentioned that the Russians left themselves few such avenues because the demands were simply not acceptable but there were also some potential wins. Lets bear in mind what the objectives could be that could be claimed as successes.

1. LPR & DPR recognition/ absorption. This is de facto anyway. The problem comes with the idea if that the territory that defines those two is bigger than they are now

2. Weaken the Ukrainian military to such a state that it represents no threat to the LPR & DPR. Open question here, will require more conflict but clearly this current conflict degrades the Ukrainian military

3. Take NATO membership off the table. This is viable, even if not in a written agreement, it could be claimed in practice because if that kind of trouble is the price for it, maybe Ukraine & NATO will think twice.

Some thinking out there that Putin may accept something to bail. Remember the publicly stated objectives of the Kremlin can be seen as a bit vague, plus the Russian military are stretched here, they have committed two thirds of their in-theater ground forces so far, and those in-theater forces represent about 70% of their standing army combat power.

One thing though, Ukraine would be mad to accept a ceasefire for a short period with positions in place unless there is clear sense of an agreement. That will potentially give Russia the chance to shore up its tail which has proven a problem for them

1. Agreed.

2. Yes, I can see that, although it's problematic, as you indicate.

3. I don't know why NATO membership was ever on the table. Was never going to happen and was never necessary.

Not sure I agree a ceasefire necessarily helps Russia. It's isolated internationally and the war is an economic disaster. Russia surely needs a short war?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,153

We should be encouraging whoever might be persuaded to blow up roads and bridges in Russia headed for Ukraine.
    We do need to love bomb the ordinary Russian people.
    There isn't a great amount of evidence they are behind this. Which is another rather surprising aspect of the past few days.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,919

Interesting thread:

Why Russia will lose this war?

Much of the "realist" discourse is about accepting Putin's victory, cuz it's *guaranteed*. But how do we know it is?

I'll argue that analysts 1) overrate Russian army 2) underrate Ukrainian one 3) misunderstand Russian strategy & political goals🧵

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1497993363076915204?s=20

Really interesting thread. Especially with the tranches of troops, we're already seeing regular issues with the first line rushing too fast. I'm still of the view that unless the US deploy some re-painted drones UA's defeat in conventional warfare is inevitable. However, Russia does not have the resources or willpower to suppress Ukraine, especially if the 10,000 odd soldiers trained in insurgency by the CIA/SAS put up a resistance. Watching cities like Melitopol and others that come under occupation for signs of such activity is important.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

What makes a Tory is someone who can take a slightly cynical, cautious approach grounded in experience without the ideological zeal of a socialist or a liberal.

The fact unlike you I do not want to risk going to nuclear war with Russia over Ukraine, a non NATO nation, does not make me a Faragist populist, it makes me sane
    You see everything in absolutes don’t you? The choice isn’t between “war with Russia” and “leave Ukraine to it”…
  • Options
    Omnium said:

A promise of a fully stocked Tesco (other supermarkets are available) in every town?
    A Ferrari in every garage.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

I'm not a Tory, but much of HYUFD's view on the particular point is perfectly sensible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

Who wants to go to war with Russia but you are talking appeasement

You were not alive when my wife and I went to bed every night terrified of a full blown nuclear war between Russia and the US over the Cuban missile crisis and strength won the day

My wife and I never thought history would repeat itself but it is and we have to stand up to Putin with every tool we have got
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

You're all over the place. You argue that we shouldn't have allowed ANY of the ex-Soviet states into NATO. But it's not clear if you think we should now, having let them in, defend them if attacked.

And i have to say that i find the thought of you accusing other people of being "hot-headed" over military affairs somewhat... er... interesting. After some of the things you have advocated in response to Scottish Independence, or France taking action against fishermen, or Spain doing something with Gibraltar, or...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,521
    HYUFD said:

Don't you think there's a possibility that if the Baltic states were not part of NATO they'd be in danger of being invaded by Russia and Belarus at the moment?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,132
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,267

Omnium said:

A Ferrari in every garage.
    Not quite.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

We do need to love bomb the ordinary Russian people.
    There isn't a great amount of evidence they are behind this. Which is another rather surprising aspect of the past few days.
    I've been trying to direct all of my vitriol towards Putin, rather than Russia.

Putin is a huge problem for the world, but he's a bigger problem for Russia.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

You were not alive when my wife and I went to bed every night terrified of a full blown nuclear war between Russia and the US over the Cuban missile crisis and strength won the day

My wife and I never thought history would repeat itself but it is and we have to stand up to Putin with every tool we have got
    Fortunately we aren't short of tools.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,092

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

That’s definitely not true. From 1934 on Britain was rearming. Spitfires, hurricanes and lancasters didn’t just appear from nowhere. The shadow factory system was set up. The navy acquired new battleships. The army ended up with wo4kable tanks.
    Sure most people hoped that war wouldn’t come, but to say we weren’t rearming during the period is totally false.
    Re-armament started before Hitler came to power - the previous German government laid down the pocket battleships. In response the Navy Vote (UK budget for the Navy) was massively increased, and smaller but still significant sums began to be added to the Air Force and Army budgets.

Most was spent, as you say, on building industrial capability to build weapons, rather than directly on weapons.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,507
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

Jonathan said:

You are shilling for a fascist.
    I really am concerned that this poster is a malign influence on the site but then that is a matter for others
    @PJohnson has not said anything libellous, or horribly racist, or grotesquely violent towards another poster. He (she?) has not doxxed anyone or broken any other crucial rule

Let him speak. That is the point of PB. It is actually interesting to hear a quasi-pro-Putin opinion, when we are all so united against Russia. You need the contrary argument to avoid bubblethink
    I don’t mind his hanging around, but his failure to engage with anyone else gets a bit tedious.
    It’s a bit like the pointless ads on Twitter.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,536

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

Well, strength and Kennedy’s backroom deal to remove US missiles from Turkey.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

Have you sent him a letter?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward
    That's pure emotive speak. We're dealing with basic calculations of global survival.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,723
    With EU now opening arms to Ukrainian refugees this pathetic non-support from @ukhomeoffice leaves the U.K. isolated in its refusal to provide real support to Ukrainian refugees. This cannot stand. Do the right thing. The world is watching.
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1498065081015414799
    https://twitter.com/yvettecoopermp/status/1498051799416066048
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward
    No it makes me a realist.

There is nothing cowardly about opposing going to war over Ukraine, a non NATO power, which based on Putin's statements will likely go nuclear
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

You see everything in absolutes don’t you? The choice isn’t between “war with Russia” and “leave Ukraine to it”…
    It’s also striking that, like many Tories I see speak, you no doubt idolise Churchill and Thatcher without realising how they would react to what you say.
  • Options
    Thread from a NYT journalist on the risk of a nuclear strike and the scenarios.

Worth a read.

https://twitter.com/max_fisher/status/1497971506852220929?s=21
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,450
    @phildstewart
    BREAKING - The Russian central bank has ordered market players to reject foreign clients' bids to sell Russian securities from 0400 GMT on Monday, according to a central bank document seen by Reuters.

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498060945070956551
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Don't you think there's a possibility that if the Baltic states were not part of NATO they'd be in danger of being invaded by Russia and Belarus at the moment?
    That would have been up to them to massively increase their defence spending to ward off the Russians but they should not have been brought into NATO. NATO should have stopped its expansion at Poland and Romania
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

Did Kennedy invade Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis? No
  • Options
    Seems like only last week people were going for each other about putting a bit of cloth on their faces in Asda.
    Happy, innocent time.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,310
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

That last thing that is needed at the minute is tact.
    You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

(Gets ready for the usual stream of ill-directed verbal diarrhoea). ;)
    you flatter yourself , go get a life saddo. Ill-educated troll.
    Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)
    How sad get one get, now F**k off and bore someone else to death, you ignorant cretin.
    If only you took your insults and followed your own advice.
    Oh Dear Mr Blowhard joins the fray. You know you are in trouble when you are only supported by the W-eak one. Gives us a few of your usual boasts about what a big shot you are , make us laugh some more.
    I don’t remember boosting - I remember pointing out that your arguments are so weak all you have is insults.

The pub bore that hasn’t realised he’s drunk his brains away
    Dear dear , is that the best you can manage. That from the cretin who said I had dementia. Go fuck yourself you moronic shitpot.
    As I said in my first post, if all youve got is insults what’s the point in posting.

Btw for reference this is my mental image of you (probably taken on one of your better days)

Get carted you sleazy shitpot, hopefully you get your comeuppance , nasty creaturees like you who wish ill on people deserve all you get. Now F*** off and pester someone who gives a shit, you lowlife bottom feeder.
    Oh btw, I checked this month's pay slip and just under "Income tax", "Student loan" and "Cycle to work" there is something called "Malc's state pension".

Please explain.
    You f***ing Dickhead I have paid enough tax to pay plenty of pensions , a f**kwit like you paying a few quid a week pays for F*** all. Plastic little shithead..
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,450

There is a non-zero risk that I will die in a nuclear war without ever having tasted a Greggs sausage roll.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

Hell's bells.

But I've not seen him twitching and blinking fast like that before. It wasn't so much the face but the movements, which also look suppressed by something, I would say. As a medical man you might find the video of interest - I would be interested to hear what you think, too.
    Blinking is a sign of nervousness. Parkinsonism generally reduces blinking, indeed patients often have to consciously blink. Occasionally it causes blepharospasm, but that looks different to blinking.

My late father's Parkinson's manifested itself in shuffling and shaking rather than a desire for nuclear anihilation. Funny how Parkinson's affects prople differently.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward

There is nothing cowardly about opposing going to war over Ukraine, a non NATO power, which based on Putin's statements will likely go nuclear
    It certainly isn't "likely" or anywhere close. I have always thought it odd how far out of touch you seemed to even right wing Tories I know. Now I am wondering whether you have other motivations. Had anyone on PB met you? For someone who spends his life on here, have you gone to a get together?
  • Options
    “ RUSSIAN CENTRAL BANK ORDERS MARKET PLAYERS TO REJECT FOREIGN CLIENTS' BIDS TO SELL RUSSIAN SECURITIES FROM 0400 GMT ON FEB 28 — CENTRAL BANK DOCUMENT SEEN BY REUTERS”
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,310

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are relying on the tact and diplomatic finesse of Liz Truss and Boris Johnson.

No we aren't.

The time for tact was before Russia invaded. Macron tried that and it was a disaster (no objection to him trying).

Boris has been through this wonderfully blunt and untactful. Between Macron and Boris there was a good cop/bad cop dynamic.

You lived through the dick-shrivelling embarrassment of Lizzie Goes To Moscow, and you are still prepared to have a pop at Macron?
    He is an absolute moron
    Is anyone not a moron in your eyes, aside from yourself and in-the-pay-of-Russia-sex-pest Salmond?

Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)
    How sad get one get, now F**k off and bore someone else to death, you ignorant cretin.
    Oh Dear Mr Blowhard joins the fray. You know you are in trouble when you are only supported by the W-eak one. Gives us a few of your usual boasts about what a big shot you are , make us laugh some more.
    I don’t remember boosting - I remember pointing out that your arguments are so weak all you have is insults.

Dear dear , is that the best you can manage. That from the cretin who said I had dementia. Go fuck yourself you moronic shitpot.
    As I said in my first post, if all youve got is insults what’s the point in posting.

Btw for reference this is my mental image of you (probably taken on one of your better days)

Get carted you sleazy shitpot, hopefully you get your comeuppance , nasty creaturees like you who wish ill on people deserve all you get. Now F*** off and pester someone who gives a shit, you lowlife bottom feeder.
    PS: So great at the IT you boast about that you cannot even post an image , says it all.
    You upset about something, Malc?
    OKC yes, creepy lowlifes like the one in the post. I will not forget his post about me.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,776

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Aslan said:

Heathener said:

Scott_xP said:

geoffw said:

Hell's bells.

He's not looking too bad for 69. You can tell he's had some work done, but not a total horror movie like Biden.
  • Options

There is a non-zero risk that I will die in a nuclear war without ever having tasted a Greggs sausage roll.
    Really? I have multiples of them a week.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward

It certainly isn't "likely" or anywhere close. I have always thought it odd how far out of touch you seemed to even right wing Tories I know. Now I am wondering whether you have other motivations. Had anyone on PB met you? For someone who spends his life on here, have you gone to a get together?
    I don't know if he's met any PBers, but it isn't hard from his (long term) posting history to work out who he really is.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,590
    Taz said:

Their stotties are excellent. I need to get some before the balloon goes up.
    Greggs custard doughnuts are my thing. I have 4 a year but could easily have more.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

Did Kennedy invade Cuba during the Cuban missile crisis? No
    Precisely Kennedy wanted to deescalate...we have many keyboard warriors on here who don't know the horror of war
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,262
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

No we aren't.

He is an absolute moron

Usual stream - tick

ill-directed - tick

verbal diarrhoea - tick

;)

Oh btw, I checked this month's pay slip and just under "Income tax", "Student loan" and "Cycle to work" there is something called "Malc's state pension".

Please explain.
    You f***ing Dickhead I have paid enough tax to pay plenty of pensions , a f**kwit like you paying a few quid a week pays for F*** all. Plastic little shithead..
    Turns out there are some big Salmon left in the Spey!
  • Options

It's the vegan one that you want. It ain't bad at all, and really winds up the Putinistas...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

What utter rubbish.

What a load of rubbish.

It makes you a coward

Precisely we are on the same page
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Really? I have multiples of them a week.
    You do know you've exceeded the residency qualification not to have to do that anymore?
    Geordie Values section passed.
    Man, like.
This discussion has been closed.