Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should the West do? the UK view of a range of suggestions – YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,443
    "Haggis_UK 🇬🇧 🇪🇺@Haggis_UK

Russia Today cite Nigel Farage as an example of "not everyone piling the blame on Russia" for the invasion of Ukraine."

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1497153805909209088
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

tlg86 said:

Seize Chelsea and then close them down.

I support this measure.

UEFA are bellends though.

How am I supposed to get a hotel ticket for the CL final in Paris to see Liverpool win Number 7 when the French Open is taking place at the same time.

Also, UEFA are still letting Russia/Russian teams play. Go full South Africa on them.
    That would require UEFA to have scruples.....hears the Champions League theme tune in my head, this programme is bought to you in association with Gazprom...
    Revive the Statute of Edward IV of 1477 banning football and mandating archery in it place.

Update it to Davy Crockett recoils rifles and we are good to go...

In 1608 - ""With the ffotebale...[there] hath beene greate disorder in our towne of Manchester we are told, and glasse windowes broken yearlye and spoyled by a companie of lewd and disordered persons ..."
    And in 1608 they weren’t even snorting coke or setting off flares in their arse hole.
    You’d be surprised…
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

What strikes me is what we are asking of the Ukrainian, to fight alone in a war of survival, but with extra weaponry. In essence, we are asking them to make the war more brutal, more attritional, more bloody to deter Russia. Some of what we provide might help shield the civilians in cities, but on average the emphasis of our defence help is not immediately humanitarian in nature.

Whatever the rights, wrongs and realpolitic of the eastern expansion of NATO over the last 3 decades - too far, correct or not far enough, that, bluntly, is our ask, as allies, of the Ukrainian people.

So, when I turn to sanctions, narrow based sanctions on the Russian elites don't cut it. Our ask of our ordinary Ukranian friends is way more of our ask on ordinary Russians living on the other side of this war. Hit the elites hard, yes, definitely, but we should not shy from impact on ordinary Russians, nor indeed of some impact on ourselves.

There’s a lot of posts on here urging and willing the Ukrainians to fight on, and trying to paint it as a fight they are doing well in, which I think disguises this is, in truth and fact leading to something just as horrible and difficult to except as the end of the Prague Spring with that invasion.

Someone posted here other day, after Russia went into Czechoslovakia, over next ten years they pilfered it.

At the crunch the Western world did not stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine this time. The dream of poor Ukrainians being in EU and getting wealthier and having nice things like western everyday people is over now, for time being, more days of terror and war in their country (not ours) won’t change that at all. In fact brilliant people like Zelenskiy and Klitchko and others we don’t even know their name might die.

I don’t feel as gung ho as PB today. It suddenly seems pointless to me. Is this anti Russian bloodlust just trying to hide the guilt? Carry on calling me a traitor and surrender monkey if you want, I would rather wake up tomorrow to a ceasefire and Zelenskiy in Minsk talking with Putin, than wake up to find it still going on.
    The Ukrainians, or a great many of them anyway, may simply have decided that they prefer to gamble on a military solution and potentially die fighting than to suffer the slow garrotting that comes from being turned into another Belarus, and who are we to say that they're wrong?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

The head of the German Intelligence Agency had to be evacuated from Ukraine. Apparently he didn't believe an invasion would happen...

https://www.focus.de/politik/ausland/ukraine-krise/praesident-des-bundesnachrichtendienstes-wurde-aus-hoechster-not-aus-der-ukraine-gerettet_id_59192174.html

I would see the presence of German intelligence in Kiev as good news for Ukraine, all in all. It suggests some kind of assistance.
    Why does the phrase with friends like these come to mind?
    Because the British right-wing is scratching its anti-German itch this week? Germany cancelled Nord Stream 2 while the UK won't cancel Hilary Term at Eton. Course, the UK sent more material assistance to Ukraine, but instead of agreeing to unite some people want to pretend to be better in every way.
    No you fuckwit we just recognise when some Governments are acting as barriers to a unified approach. Just like Germany is right now.

And Germany only agreed to suspend Nord Stream 2 because they had already been told by the Americans that if they didn't the US would find a more permanent way of shutting it down.
    Given that its the end of winter how much would Germany use NS2 even if it was approved ?
    Vlad's chosen an odd time to invade: winds are strong across Europe and gas storage is near highs, just as domestic heating requirements are starting to drop.

This is a great chart showing current German electricity production by type: https://www.energy-charts.info/charts/power/chart.htm?l=en&c=DE&stacking=stacked_absolute_area

The Germans are only using 3GW of natural gas right now.

Back in the middle of winter, it might have 20GW.

The Russians chose a very odd time to invade.
    Wasn't it something to do with the mud being frozen? I can't remember exactly.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: I have been given a copy of document issued today by Russian Ministry of Health. It indicates Russia is anticipating a massive medical emergency & has ordered health organisations to immediately identify medical staff ready to relocate & work. https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1497252061678813187/photo/1

The document includes list including "paediatric surgeons".

So I'm not sure this is for doctors to go and help wounded RU soldiers?
    My fear would be that they're planning a false flag terrorist attack to try to get the Russian people behind the war.
    Or preparing for Ukrainian counter-attack
    The idea that the Ukrainians could counter attack to any significant extent is even madder than the idea that Sergei Lavrov is fit to be a diplomat.

The Russians still have a force somewhat greater than the entire Ukrainian army poised to invade that they haven't even committed yet.
    So if not a counter attack, how would you describe the Battle of Grozny?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grozny_(1994–1995)

"The New Year's Eve battle was devastating for the Russians; the first Russian armored column lost 105 of their 120 tanks and armored personnel carriers.[21] The entire first battalion of the Maikop Brigade, more than half of the 81st Regiment plus hundreds of men from the remaining units, were dead. A high-ranking Russian General Staff officer said "On January 2nd, we lost contact with our forward units." According to Maskhadov, some 400 Russian tanks and APCs were destroyed.[22] Russian General A. Galkin reported 225 armored vehicles lost during the first month and a half of the invasion, including 62 tanks.[23]"
    A tactical counter attack, not a strategic one, possibly?

Certainly Ukraine won't be pushing into the Crimea or something. But it *might* be able to push back some Russian units, in some places.
    They apparently turned the Russians back at Chernihiv, they have had to take a different route to Kyiv.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Andy_JS said:

"Haggis_UK 🇬🇧 🇪🇺@Haggis_UK

Russia Today cite Nigel Farage as an example of "not everyone piling the blame on Russia" for the invasion of Ukraine."

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1497153805909209088

Well, yes. Useful idiots are not just idiots. They're also useful.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    edited February 2022
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Obviously the Ukrainian invasion wouldn't have happened with a strongman in the White House. A tyrant like Putin against Joe Biden well what a fuck up. For many on then Left that opposed Trump this is life coming at you fast.

Eh? Trump would have celebrated fellow 'strongman' genius and done absolutely nothing to block him.

He'd probably be trying to send weapons and ammo to Vlad to help him on his way.

The point is Putin wouldn't have dared invade Ukraine with Trump in the White House because of the latter's unpredictability. This is what Konstantin Kisin said in his recent video and I agree with it.
    I don't. I think Trump is unstable and inconsistent, but that is not the same thing as being unpredictable. On the contrary, it is usually pretty easy to predict what his response to something is, even if he manages to surprise, even now, on the gratuitous offensiveness or self aggrandizement of it. He has increcdibly thin skin, is easily goaded, and usually quite simplistic.
    The point about Trump was the one thing I disagreed with Kisin about. Trump was so unpredictable he could have easily given away large parts of Europe to Putin. Biden seems to me to be a better guarantor of NATO and is more supportive of the principle of trying to contain Russia.

Trump was obviously receptive to doing a deal with Putin but it never happened, with Putin just preferring to freeze the conflict in Ukraine for the time of his presidency. There is nothing in this that suggests Trump would have dealt with the situation better than Putin.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

@AliBunkallSKY
    UKRAINE: fear amongst western officials now is that Russia will start bombing Ukrainians indiscriminately and even with thermobaric weapons, if their progress continues to be impeded.

https://twitter.com/AliBunkallSKY/status/1497265699324055552

Yes, as I said earlier on here the Ukrainians are putting up a huge and valiant resistance. Putin will eventually reach for WMDs and near WMDs if he can't see a way out that doesn't involve a hugely embarrassing retreat into Donbass and Belarus.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

I think it’s generally conceded that Putin’s “decapitation feint” has been unsuccessful, and hence he will need to revert to more traditional methods with a higher body count.

How long can he persist for?
    How long will the Ukrainians hold out?
    How long will the Russians put up with body bags?

Worryingly, I can’t see a feasible back-down track for Putin. He absolutely has to go “all-in” because the alternative is, what? being deposed?

I think the way he climbs down is to bomb the crap out of a few targets for a few days, he can even say "tomorrow I'm going to reduce x, y and z targets to dust, you have 24 hours to get out of those areas". Then he withdraws his troops to the disputed regions, maybe nibbling off just a little bit more territory, declares Ukraine "pacified" and unilaterally declares victory. Shades of GW Bush's "Mission Accomplished" speech, only with more body bags.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    Zemmour: "We must absolutely reassure the Russians on Ukraine which, for them, is a Russian country."

That's the end of his hopes of getting into the second round.
    And perhaps the first round hopefully.
    By his logic, Gascony and Normandy belong to the UK, Provence to Italy, Alsace to Germany and Dijon to the Netherlands.
    Gascony and Normandy? That's not very ambitious. I'd be going for a full restoration of the Angevin Empire myself.
    We wouldn't want Maine and Anjou. But Gascony's lovely and Normandy has much in common with the south of England.
    Personally you can keep the rest but I'd want Bordeaux back.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

The head of the German Intelligence Agency had to be evacuated from Ukraine. Apparently he didn't believe an invasion would happen...

https://www.focus.de/politik/ausland/ukraine-krise/praesident-des-bundesnachrichtendienstes-wurde-aus-hoechster-not-aus-der-ukraine-gerettet_id_59192174.html

I would see the presence of German intelligence in Kiev as good news for Ukraine, all in all. It suggests some kind of assistance.
    Because the British right-wing is scratching its anti-German itch this week? Germany cancelled Nord Stream 2 while the UK won't cancel Hilary Term at Eton. Course, the UK sent more material assistance to Ukraine, but instead of agreeing to unite some people want to pretend to be better in every way.
    No you fuckwit we just recognise when some Governments are acting as barriers to a unified approach. Just like Germany is right now.

And Germany only agreed to suspend Nord Stream 2 because they had already been told by the Americans that if they didn't the US would find a more permanent way of shutting it down.
    Given that its the end of winter how much would Germany use NS2 even if it was approved ?
    Vlad's chosen an odd time to invade: winds are strong across Europe and gas storage is near highs, just as domestic heating requirements are starting to drop.

This is a great chart showing current German electricity production by type: https://www.energy-charts.info/charts/power/chart.htm?l=en&c=DE&stacking=stacked_absolute_area

Wasn't it something to do with the mud being frozen? I can't remember exactly.
    But that's better for tanks: as the ground melts it makes it harder for tanks to move at speed.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    edited February 2022
    Siri, show me a Covid grifter who has built a new career out of alarmism and is damned if he’s going to let this new opportunity go to waste

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

I support this measure.

How am I supposed to get a hotel ticket for the CL final in Paris to see Liverpool win Number 7 when the French Open is taking place at the same time.

Also, UEFA are still letting Russia/Russian teams play. Go full South Africa on them.
    That would require UEFA to have scruples.....hears the Champions League theme tune in my head, this programme is bought to you in association with Gazprom...
    Revive the Statute of Edward IV of 1477 banning football and mandating archery in it place.

In 1608 - ""With the ffotebale...[there] hath beene greate disorder in our towne of Manchester we are told, and glasse windowes broken yearlye and spoyled by a companie of lewd and disordered persons ..."
    And in 1608 they weren’t even snorting coke or setting off flares in their arse hole.
    You’d be surprised…
    I like the fact that no-one turned a hair at the idea of equipping Millwall fans with Davy Crockett's.

Think of the UK defence posture after that becomes known....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

I don't quite share @PJohnson's nonsensical worldview but the fact is stocks have rallied strongly after yesterday's panic so the question is what has changed?

Reading various commentaries some suggest it may be the oil price hasn't climbed as quickly as many feared -maybe. Others suggest the sanctions regime put forward by the West isn't that strong - a lot of it is rhetoric - and therefore it's basically business as usual.

I did wonder why Gazprom or Rosneft weren't in the list of sanctioned companies - the cynic in me wonders whether somebody has been urging European Governments not to be too harsh on Russia (perhaps they have offered to "rein in" Putin to some degree).

So, where are we? Will Ukraine be partitioned down the Dniepro River with Kiev and everything to the east in the hands of a new pro-Russian Ukrainian state or will we see the whole country occupied? I suspect not though I'm so often wrong about most things I wonder why I bother.

I'm too young to remember Hungary 1956 - the tweets of Zelensky and the defiance of Klitschko remind me of some of the radio calls from Budapest and Sopron as the Russian tanks rolled in.

Let's hope our response to the humanitarian crisis will be powerful in its way.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Obviously the Ukrainian invasion wouldn't have happened with a strongman in the White House. A tyrant like Putin against Joe Biden well what a fuck up. For many on then Left that opposed Trump this is life coming at you fast.

Eh? Trump would have celebrated fellow 'strongman' genius and done absolutely nothing to block him.

He'd probably be trying to send weapons and ammo to Vlad to help him on his way.

The point is Putin wouldn't have dared invade Ukraine with Trump in the White House because of the latter's unpredictability. This is what Konstantin Kisin said in his recent video and I agree with it.
    I don't. I think Trump is unstable and inconsistent, but that is not the same thing as being unpredictable. On the contrary, it is usually pretty easy to predict what his response to something is, even if he manages to surprise, even now, on the gratuitous offensiveness or self aggrandizement of it. He has increcdibly thin skin, is easily goaded, and usually quite simplistic.
    The point about Trump was the one thing I disagreed with Kisin about. Trump was so unpredictable he could have easily given away large parts of Europe to Putin. Biden seems to me to be a better guarantor of NATO and is more supportive of the principle of trying to contain Russia.

Trump was obviously receptive to doing a deal with Putin but it never happened, with Putin just preferring to freeze the conflict in Ukraine for the time of his presidency. There is nothing in this that suggests Trump would have dealt with the situation better than Putin.
    Yes, exactly this.

Just the whole form of the argument is risible beyond parody. "Trump is unpredictable, so if he was president we can predict perfectly accurately what would have happened..."

You have to be dumb as a stump to deploy that kind of argument.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I think it’s generally conceded that Putin’s “decapitation feint” has been unsuccessful, and hence he will need to revert to more traditional methods with a higher body count.

How long can he persist for?
    How long will the Ukrainians hold out?
    How long will the Russians put up with body bags?

Worryingly, I can’t see a feasible back-down track for Putin. He absolutely has to go “all-in” because the alternative is, what? being deposed?

I think the way he climbs down is to bomb the crap out of a few targets for a few days, he can even say "tomorrow I'm going to reduce x, y and z targets to dust, you have 24 hours to get out of those areas". Then he withdraws his troops to the disputed regions, maybe nibbling off just a little bit more territory, declares Ukraine "pacified" and unilaterally declares victory. Shades of GW Bush's "Mission Accomplished" speech, only with more body bags.
    I don't see an easy route like this to retreat that isn't a hugely embarrassing climbdown. The best case scenario is that Putin reaches for WMDs and the Russians initiate a coup to prevent millions of innocents from dying. I don't see it though. As David Herdson said, the whole Russian establishment has been concentrated into the Kremlin and there are simply no dissenters left.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,858
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

I support this measure.

You’d be surprised…
    I thought that’s what Guy Fawkes and co were up to in the parliament vaults and understandably nobody believed them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2022
    DougSeal said:

Siri, show me a Covid grifter who has built a new career out of alarmism and is damned if he’s going to let this new opportunity go to waste

Oh god the comedy dave of covid now a self appointed expert in geopolitical matters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Foolishly, I just played the Arnold Rimmer song.

Is there a more pernicious earworm?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    pigeon said:

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

What strikes me is what we are asking of the Ukrainian, to fight alone in a war of survival, but with extra weaponry. In essence, we are asking them to make the war more brutal, more attritional, more bloody to deter Russia. Some of what we provide might help shield the civilians in cities, but on average the emphasis of our defence help is not immediately humanitarian in nature.

Whatever the rights, wrongs and realpolitic of the eastern expansion of NATO over the last 3 decades - too far, correct or not far enough, that, bluntly, is our ask, as allies, of the Ukrainian people.

So, when I turn to sanctions, narrow based sanctions on the Russian elites don't cut it. Our ask of our ordinary Ukranian friends is way more of our ask on ordinary Russians living on the other side of this war. Hit the elites hard, yes, definitely, but we should not shy from impact on ordinary Russians, nor indeed of some impact on ourselves.

There’s a lot of posts on here urging and willing the Ukrainians to fight on, and trying to paint it as a fight they are doing well in, which I think disguises this is, in truth and fact leading to something just as horrible and difficult to except as the end of the Prague Spring with that invasion.

Someone posted here other day, after Russia went into Czechoslovakia, over next ten years they pilfered it.

At the crunch the Western world did not stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine this time. The dream of poor Ukrainians being in EU and getting wealthier and having nice things like western everyday people is over now, for time being, more days of terror and war in their country (not ours) won’t change that at all. In fact brilliant people like Zelenskiy and Klitchko and others we don’t even know their name might die.

I don’t feel as gung ho as PB today. It suddenly seems pointless to me. Is this anti Russian bloodlust just trying to hide the guilt? Carry on calling me a traitor and surrender monkey if you want, I would rather wake up tomorrow to a ceasefire and Zelenskiy in Minsk talking with Putin, than wake up to find it still going on.
    The Ukrainians, or a great many of them anyway, may simply have decided that they prefer to gamble on a military solution and potentially die fighting than to suffer the slow garrotting that comes from being turned into another Belarus, and who are we to say that they're wrong?
    Indeed. I don't know how this mess can be made better, but I'm not really inclined to over analyse people expressing hopes that the Ukrainians manage to undetake a spirited defence of their country.

The world and this situation remains a complex one, but is it being gung ho to find some hope at the sight, however brief it may be, of people fighting back against an aggressor? Is it not the height of navel gazing to analyse that as some deep message of seemingly sinister character, rather than just instinctive sympathy for an underdog?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

LDLF said:

I'm not a football expert but judging by general football fan reactions, closing down Chelsea is probably an automatic vote-winner at any time, war or no war.

The number one thing that would damage Russia is if the West (that includes us, but particularly the EU as well) stops buying from them. This is difficult to do as so many raw materials come from there.

En passant: by Vlad's logic, if he takes Kiev will he be giving Saint Petersburg back to Sweden?

Why stop at Greater Finland? We want Bornholm back. And Trøndelag. And while we’re at it give us back Bremen-Verden, Pomerania and Wismar too. Thieving bastards.

Come to think of it, it was us who invented Kievan Russia…
    Seriously, wouldn't the addition of Finland to NATO strengthen it massively?

It has a huge land border with Russia. NATO could conduct 'exercises' along it all year round and the Russians would be obliged to post large numbers of troops on their side 'just in case'.

I do believe attitudes towards NATO have changed markedly in Finland of late. The Finns of course have every reason to be hostile and suspicious towards the Russians.
    42-28 were against joining in January and the PM ruled it out, according to this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finlands-pm-says-nato-membership-is-very-unlikely-her-watch-2022-01-19/

Recent events may have shifted attitudes, though. A Feb poll by the Farmers' Union suggests 45-33 in favour:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12305027#:~:text=A fresh poll commissioned and published by the,that membership were recommended by the nation's leaders

I've never heard of Russia showing any real interest in Finland since WW2, though others may know otherwise. As neighbourly relations go, everyone seemed to move on after Russia had attacked Finland and Finland had then allied with Germany to attack Russia - you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't, perhaps because Finland has been ostentiously neutral ever since (which is why the PM is still reluctant). Active dislike between Russia and the Baltic States is far more intense, and there it really is NATO membership which is likely to be a deterrent.

Putins speech earlier in the week was a paradigm shift, intentionally or otherwise. It was seen as a claim on Finland, as much as it was on Ukraine and other parts of Eastern Europe. If Russia no longer respects Finlands status and neutrality, then Finland has to get ready to fight Russia again. NATO membership is the logical conclusion, as Finlands 200,000 (ish?) strong standing army could be otherwise be overrun, although Russia would perhaps find it difficult to govern after the invasion.
    Putin's statement today suggests Russia would invade any non NATO member in Europe which applied for NATO membership, even Finland and Sweden.

Unfortunately for both it looks like that ship has sailed and they will have to heavily spend more on their own defence
    The Russian army is struggling against an inferior opponent that's largely reliant on short range anti-tank weapons, light machine guns and reservists armed with AK-47s and petrol bombs. Somehow I doubt that Russia is in any position to attempt an amphibious assault on Stockholm right now.

The ideal moment for the Nordic neutrals to pick a side is whilst Putin hasn't the forces available, let alone in theatre, to retaliate against them.
  • Options

The sound of a garden strimmer?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited February 2022
    Fucking Putin.

Thanks to him I'm now supposed to be working this weekend and I have tickets for the Carabao Cup final as well.

If I miss it because of him I will be furious.

Sad news for PBers, this means my AV/Scottish independence thread won't be published this weekend. It would have been the greatest crossover event since Avengers: Endgame.
  • Options

Hell Yes.

I give you Baby Shark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auHzwB1wB2s
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Today at 10:30 am at the entrances to Chernihiv, Hostomel and Melitopol there were heavy fighting. People died. Next time I'll try to move the war schedule to talk to #MarioDraghi at a specific time. Meanwhile, Ukraine continues to fight for its people.
    11:36 AM · Feb 25, 2022"

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497173609957236738

Can we get Zelenskiy a safe seat and make him PM?
    Surely he's got to leave Kiev? I mean the Russian forces are barely miles away, no?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    @CNN
    Former Ukrainian President @poroshenko takes up a Kalashnikov rifle alongside civilian defense forces as he speaks to @JohnBerman from the streets of Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Today at 10:30 am at the entrances to Chernihiv, Hostomel and Melitopol there were heavy fighting. People died. Next time I'll try to move the war schedule to talk to #MarioDraghi at a specific time. Meanwhile, Ukraine continues to fight for its people.

Surely he's got to leave Kiev? I mean the Russian forces are barely miles away, no?
    He was a comedian playing the President of Ukraine not so long ago.

What strange times we live in.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2022
  • Options

Fucking Putin.

Thanks to him I'm now supposed to be working this weekend and I have tickets for the Carabao Cup final as well.

Sad news for PBers, this means my AV/Scotland thread won't be published this weekend. It would have been the greatest crossover event since Avengers: Endgame.

Silver linings: if we do all end up being consumed by a Russian thermonuclear fireball next week then at least the final few days of our lives will have been refreshingly free of another boring mud slinging contest over Scotland.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

Immediately, perhaps not, but in the longer term it is. Otherwise anyone attacked would be advised on humanitarian grounds to simply surrender.
    Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

You fight wars to win them, and the brutality and attrition flow from that.

Personally I am cheering on Ukraine for its own sake, not as an ally (is it even an ally?) and I am very, very unhappy indeed with the irrational proposition that sanctions should be perversely tuned to hit ordinary Russians to compensate for the wholly imaginary demands we are apparently making (I'm not) of ordinary Ukrainians. Where's the sense or justice in that? Do you think anyone engaged in the high level planning of this war on the Russian side is not a billionaire? Or that it's the fault of the peasantry for voting for Putin in free and fair elections?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited February 2022
    Well now, poor Roman Abramovich is going to soon fall out of a window isn't he?

A daughter of the Russian tycoon Roman Abramovich has added her voice to growing condemnation of President Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Sofia Abramovich posted an image on Instagram showing the phrase “Russia wants a war with Ukraine” with the word Russia crossed out and replaced with “Putin”.

A second sentence read: “The biggest and most successful lie of Kremlin’s propaganda is that most Russians stand with Putin.” It was followed by an image of Putin with a red line across him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/roman-abramovich-s-daughter-condemns-putin-s-invasion-of-ukraine-csm3b8pnx
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

He was a comedian playing the President of Ukraine not so long ago.

What strange times we live in.
    Season 2 got dark. It's called Cerebus Syndrome, where something starting out comedic becomes increasing dramatic.
  • Options

Well now, poor Roman Abramovich is going to soon fall out of a window soon isn't he?

A daughter of the Russian tycoon Roman Abramovich has added her voice to growing condemnation of President Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Sofia Abramovich posted an image on Instagram showing the phrase “Russia wants a war with Ukraine” with the word Russia crossed out and replaced with “Putin”.

A second sentence read: “The biggest and most successful lie of Kremlin’s propaganda is that most Russians stand with Putin.” It was followed by an image of Putin with a red line across him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/roman-abramovich-s-daughter-condemns-putin-s-invasion-of-ukraine-csm3b8pnx

He’s safe until summer - transfer window is closed.
  • Options

Well now, poor Roman Abramovich is going to soon fall out of a window soon isn't he?

TBF - well done her!
    The FA should immediately give Chelsea three bonus points.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

He's a brave guy indeed. I only wish I could be sure I'd be as brave in his situation.
  • Options
    Invasion clears Euro 2028 path for UK and Ireland

One small, sporting consequence of the invasion of Ukraine is that there is no chance of Russia following through on its plan of bidding for Euro 2028 — meaning that a joint bid by the UK and Ireland for Uefa’s tournament should go through unopposed.

Meanwhile, Fifa’s reluctant to move World Cup play-off matches away from Moscow next month was explained by its president Gianni Infantino — a grateful recipient of Russia’s Order of Friendship medal in 2019 — on the basis that the conflict may be “solved” by then, whatever that means. Infantino also refused to answer when asked if he was keeping the medal.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/stadium-moves-and-kit-colour-changes-set-to-require-fa-approval-k0zbxxzk8
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Fucking Putin.

Sad news for PBers, this means my AV/Scotland thread won't be published this weekend. It would have been the greatest crossover event since Avengers: Endgame.

Silver linings: if we do all end up being consumed by a Russian thermonuclear fireball next week then at least the final few days of our lives will have been refreshingly free of another boring mud slinging contest over Scotland.
    Are you new here? You think the number of airbursts over Faslane vs Devonport will pass unnoticed and undisputed?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Good for her, Brave young lady.

Lets all pray its the start of a trend, :)
  • Options
    Chris Bryant is a legend, totally agree with him, seize Everton and Chelsea and close them down.

Roman Abramovich and Alisher Usmanov have been told to condemn Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine if they want to avoid repeated calls for sanctions in parliament.

Chris Bryant, the Labour MP who declared in the Commons on Thursday that Abramovich is unfit to own Chelsea, has also implored on fans and players to join protests.

The Chelsea owner and influential Everton investor should already be among those to have assets frozen in retaliation for the outbreak of war in Europe, he told Telegraph Sport.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/25/roman-abramovich-alisher-usmanov-told-condemn-vladimir-putin/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

geoffw said:

LDLF said:

I'm not a football expert but judging by general football fan reactions, closing down Chelsea is probably an automatic vote-winner at any time, war or no war.

The number one thing that would damage Russia is if the West (that includes us, but particularly the EU as well) stops buying from them. This is difficult to do as so many raw materials come from there.

En passant: by Vlad's logic, if he takes Kiev will he be giving Saint Petersburg back to Sweden?

Why stop at Greater Finland? We want Bornholm back. And Trøndelag. And while we’re at it give us back Bremen-Verden, Pomerania and Wismar too. Thieving bastards.

It has a huge land border with Russia. NATO could conduct 'exercises' along it all year round and the Russians would be obliged to post large numbers of troops on their side 'just in case'.

I do believe attitudes towards NATO have changed markedly in Finland of late. The Finns of course have every reason to be hostile and suspicious towards the Russians.
    42-28 were against joining in January and the PM ruled it out, according to this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finlands-pm-says-nato-membership-is-very-unlikely-her-watch-2022-01-19/

Recent events may have shifted attitudes, though. A Feb poll by the Farmers' Union suggests 45-33 in favour:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12305027#:~:text=A fresh poll commissioned and published by the,that membership were recommended by the nation's leaders

I've never heard of Russia showing any real interest in Finland since WW2, though others may know otherwise. As neighbourly relations go, everyone seemed to move on after Russia had attacked Finland and Finland had then allied with Germany to attack Russia - you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't, perhaps because Finland has been ostentiously neutral ever since (which is why the PM is still reluctant). Active dislike between Russia and the Baltic States is far more intense, and there it really is NATO membership which is likely to be a deterrent.

"you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't"
    My deep connections to Finland of some 60 years tell me you couldn't be more wrong, and not just from those who were displaced from Karelia.

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    Zemmour: "We must absolutely reassure the Russians on Ukraine which, for them, is a Russian country."

Dunno. Maybe the Spectator will stop giving him glowing editorials.
    Saw that mendacious shit Fraser Nelson on Swedish tv last week, spouting blatant lies. The audience just lapped it up. Anglophilia can be a crippling condition. One has a duty to pose probing questions.
    He is a bellend of bellends that one.
  • Options

Well now, poor Roman Abramovich is going to soon fall out of a window isn't he?

Important. Putin has poloniumed/imprisoned oligarchs as rich and protected looking as Abramovich. She thinks he is yesterday's man.

She is right.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

He's a brave guy indeed. I only wish I could be sure I'd be as brave in his situation.
    Remarkable as he is it won't do his country any good if he's killed or captured.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,880

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ZiI3iVgpM

One of my best friends at uni was the spitting image of Ace Rimmer, complete with shades. At dinner he used to shout: "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"

He's bald now... ;)
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Remarkable as he is it won't do his country any good if he's killed or captured.
    Yes, he will. He will be a symbolic inspiration to his countrymen about how Ukrainians will never submit to Russia.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Yes, he will. He will be a symbolic inspiration to his countrymen about how Ukrainians will never submit to Russia.
    Live or die, he will have statues erected to him - hopefully in Ukraine.

Putin's statues will be defaced.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

Immediately, perhaps not, but in the longer term it is. Otherwise anyone attacked would be advised on humanitarian grounds to simply surrender.
    Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

Personally I am cheering on Ukraine for its own sake, not as an ally (is it even an ally?) and I am very, very unhappy indeed with the irrational proposition that sanctions should be perversely tuned to hit ordinary Russians to compensate for the wholly imaginary demands we are apparently making (I'm not) of ordinary Ukrainians. Where's the sense or justice in that? Do you think anyone engaged in the high level planning of this war on the Russian side is not a billionaire? Or that it's the fault of the peasantry for voting for Putin in free and fair elections?
    Craven capitulation and exactly the line that Putin would want you to take.

Why not just go the whole hog and oppose all sanctions on the basis that if they are effective enough to make Russia sit up and think they will also hurt the economic interests of UK companies and by implication innocent UK citizens on the other side of the trading arrangement?
  • Options
    Also

Russian tennis player Andrey Rublev, world number 7, wrote "No war please" on a camera lens during a tournament in Dubai

https://twitter.com/0419R7264968959/status/1497268382571417609

you don't do that if you expect Putin to be around much longer
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

There's got to be a good chance that this erosion of support will accelerate.
    Another straw in the wind is that even the state owned RIA Novosti has fallen foul of the censors for information it published, and the Russian government is threatening to block Facebook.
  • Options

Chris Bryant is a legend, totally agree with him, seize Everton and Chelsea and close them down.

Roman Abramovich and Alisher Usmanov have been told to condemn Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine if they want to avoid repeated calls for sanctions in parliament.

Chris Bryant, the Labour MP who declared in the Commons on Thursday that Abramovich is unfit to own Chelsea, has also implored on fans and players to join protests.

The Chelsea owner and influential Everton investor should already be among those to have assets frozen in retaliation for the outbreak of war in Europe, he told Telegraph Sport.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/25/roman-abramovich-alisher-usmanov-told-condemn-vladimir-putin/

Fans should take Ukrainian colours to the matches on Saturday, sing Slava Ukrayini.
  • Options

The Russian elite need to know they will be sent into poverty by sanctions and the Russian middle class need to know their sons will endlessly die on Ukrainian soil. All for crazed Putin's reckless war against Slavic brothers.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

They don't need any more inspiration. They are at the knife already and giving their lives. They need an unquestionable legitimate government to attest to the suffering of the Ukrainian people. In general, we need a little more 10+ year thinking at a time of understandable immediate feeling.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

They don't need any more inspiration. They are at the knife already and giving their lives. They need an unquestionable legitimate government to attest to the suffering of the Ukrainian people. In general, we need a little more 10+ year thinking at a time of understandable immediate feeling.
    There is a deputy president. And the existence of martyrs emboldens more people. The fact Zelensky is staying in Ukraine will be huge morale for the country.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Aslan said:

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Fuck me, I sense that you are on the second gin of the evening in Tunbridge Wells or thereabouts, but your finger is infallibly on the pulse of the Man in the Kyiv Street. A true gift.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Also

Russian tennis player Andrey Rublev, world number 7, wrote "No war please" on a camera lens during a tournament in Dubai

https://twitter.com/0419R7264968959/status/1497268382571417609

you don't do that if you expect Putin to be around much longer

He can get away with that one back home as not explicitly critical of Putin. Putin's official position/lie is of course he did not want war either but has been forced into it.
  • Options

Fans should take Ukrainian colours to the matches on Saturday, sing Slava Ukrayini.
    I'm tempted to wear the Ukrainian shirt on Sunday, if I can find one.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

The Russian elite need to know they will be sent into poverty by sanctions and the Russian middle class need to know their sons will endlessly die on Ukrainian soil. All for crazed Putin's reckless war against Slavic brothers.
    I agree except it’s not the sons of the Russian middle class who will die - it’s the sons of the poor.
  • Options
    Anushka Asthana
    @AnushkaAsthana
    Boris Johnson has recorded a video in which he speaks in both Russian and Ukrainian tonight. Saying in Russian “To my friends I do not believe this war is in your name, it does not have to be this way”
    And in Ukrainian: “This crisis, this tragedy can and must come to an end. The world needs a free and sovereign Ukraine”.
    Sources say he decided to record the video after a conversation with president Zelensky this morning in which the Ukrainian leader asked for more help with military equipment but also if the pm could urge Russians to call for restraint
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1497272472512737284
  • Options
    boulay said:

Aslan said:

I agree except it’s not the sons of the Russian middle class who will die - it’s the sons of the poor.
    Given the size of the Russian army, I think plenty of middle income families will have kids out there.
  • Options

Chris Bryant is a fool, he was banging on about dual citizens yesterday. As if ordinary Russians have got a choice in this. A very good friend of mine is a UK/Russian dual national, she's not some oligarch or billionaire, she works for the NHS and was offended by the idea that because she's a dual national she's complicit in what Putin is doing.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

Craven capitulation and exactly the line that Putin would want you to take.

Why not just go the whole hog and oppose all sanctions on the basis that if they are effective enough to make Russia sit up and think they will also hurt the economic interests of UK companies and by implication innocent UK citizens on the other side of the trading arrangement?
    Craven capitulation, not wanting to rub Ivan and Ivanka's faces in the dirt, just because?

As an exercise in untrammelled wankerdom your second paragraph will never be surpassed. How the holy fuck do we get from Target the Russian nomenklatura, not the rank and file, to You are really trying to protect the FTSE 100? I am going to take the wildest, most seat of my pants guess of a lifetime, and speculate that international jewry is probably somewhere in the equation, amiright?.

Also, this pleasure you derive from the thought of foreign, poor people being made to suffer? I'd see someone about that if I were you.
  • Options

I'm tempted to wear the Ukrainian shirt on Sunday, if I can find one.
    Liverpool need to play in their yellow strip on Sunday so when they have the line up on tv it will be a big wall of yellow and blue for the cameras - Liverpool fans should also all wear yellow so the crowd pictures also are a sea of yellow and blue.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

And if we look from what is happening, the disordered approach, to why, the why is each part of what could be a unified approach have allowed themselves to be exposed in different ways. Energy pipeline for example, Greek and Austrian banks.

Having said that though, I disagree with myself, even where US are exposed, it hasn’t stopped them being braver than UK and EU in past sanctions, and I suspect here too.

When we say banks are exposed, Greece, Austria, does that mean Russians have debts in the banks they worry about writing off? Could they be helped with that, rather them be a blocker to the unified approach?
    How long would it take for the EU to decide where they were going to have the meeting at which they might, sometime in the foreseeable future, vote upon a unified, watered-down approach to Russia's aggression to a defeated Ukraine?

A month? Three months?

Sadly, this sort of crisis (and Covid) shows where the EU's centralised approach fails. It can be good in some situations. In others, it is disastrous.
    You are proved right by, here we are, and the response is all over the place.

Did the Ukrainians really believe they would get more from the West? Or has it only dawned on them today? 😕
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    IshmaelZ said:

pigeon said:

Fucking Putin.

Are you new here? You think the number of airbursts over Faslane vs Devonport will pass unnoticed and undisputed?
    Obviously posting from a lunatic asylum and not had their medication
  • Options

Someone has spray-painted, “No To War” on the front of the Duma.

Romanes eunt domo, redux.

Putin is toast. That would not have happened under Uncle Joe and Lavrentiy.
  • Options

That takes Balls! good for them, and hopefully in a week at the wounds biggest party, also known as Putin's funeral, we can give them a medal.
  • Options

In English? Protestors do tend to play for a global audience.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595
    edited February 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    Farooq said:

eek said:

PJohnson said:

interesting view that this war has been cooked up on wall street and in the city of london

https://twitter.com/VigilantFox/status/1497031347042459648?s=20&t=aQZwT7pvXsbvIXuYZEIJjQ

Some people are utterly deluded yet 35,000+ follow him...

While everything Mr Meeks said this morning is obvious, it's worth repeating how much damage social media does to those who use it as their sole source of news.
    35,000 accounts
    That's not the same as 35,000 people
    Half of them could be Leon.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

The little 'un just said:

"Instead of 'Vladimir Putin, why don't we call him 'Bladder-seer PooPoo" ?

I approve of this change.... ;)

That makes me think that Shitcan might be a good name for him.

That's Vlad, not your son!
    Puking.
  • Options

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

And if we look from what is happening, the disordered approach, to why, the why is each part of what could be a unified approach have allowed themselves to be exposed in different ways. Energy pipeline for example, Greek and Austrian banks.

Having said that though, I disagree with myself, even where US are exposed, it hasn’t stopped them being braver than UK and EU in past sanctions, and I suspect here too.

When we say banks are exposed, Greece, Austria, does that mean Russians have debts in the banks they worry about writing off? Could they be helped with that, rather them be a blocker to the unified approach?
    How long would it take for the EU to decide where they were going to have the meeting at which they might, sometime in the foreseeable future, vote upon a unified, watered-down approach to Russia's aggression to a defeated Ukraine?

A month? Three months?

Sadly, this sort of crisis (and Covid) shows where the EU's centralised approach fails. It can be good in some situations. In others, it is disastrous.
    You are proved right by, here we are, and the response is all over the place.

Did the Ukrainians really believe they would get more from the West? Or has it only dawned on them today? 😕
    So I guess your latest talking point is to try to sow division between Ukraine and the West. Makes sense after the "war won't happen" claim is now pretty broken.
  • Options
    Germany please note how it's done..

Mariusz Blaszczak
    @mblaszczak
    The convoy with the ammunition that we are handing over to Ukraine has already reached our neighbors. We support the Ukrainians, we stand in solidarity and we firmly oppose Russian aggression.

https://twitter.com/mblaszczak/status/1497258005955547143
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In English? Protestors do tend to play for a global audience.
    https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1496945261452611596

нет война
  • Options
    Do we know if there are street protests again in Mosco or other Russian city's again tonight? or were to many arrested last night?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,199
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

LDLF said:

"you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't"
    My deep connections to Finland of some 60 years tell me you couldn't be more wrong, and not just from those who were displaced from Karelia.

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah

Dunno. Maybe the Spectator will stop giving him glowing editorials.
    Saw that mendacious shit Fraser Nelson on Swedish tv last week, spouting blatant lies. The audience just lapped it up. Anglophilia can be a crippling condition. One has a duty to pose probing questions.
    He is a bellend of bellends that one.
    Not Good, Malcolm, your comments are boring at the moment and add nothing and say nothing except "I am a bad tempred and curmudgeionly old fart with an inflexible and rather ignorant world view".

I´m no fan of Fraser Nelson, but nobody is interested if all you can do is spout dull abuse.
  • Options

Farooq said:

eek said:

PJohnson said:

interesting view that this war has been cooked up on wall street and in the city of london

https://twitter.com/VigilantFox/status/1497031347042459648?s=20&t=aQZwT7pvXsbvIXuYZEIJjQ

Some people are utterly deluded yet 35,000+ follow him...

While everything Mr Meeks said this morning is obvious, it's worth repeating how much damage social media does to those who use it as their sole source of news.
    35,000 accounts
    That's not the same as 35,000 people
    Half of them could be Leon.
    Only half? What's the other nine-tenths of him doing?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    On the subject of Putin and Russia, there are some positive signs today, but I would be very cautious about ever thinking that things are going well. For the last decade or so, he has always managed to turn things around to his advantage. I fear that will be the case here. Having been able to carry out an invasion without any meaningful opposition, his worst case scenario at the moment is to do some kind of ceasefire that gets him control of more of the country than he had before plus agreement that Ukraine will not join NATO. This will probably be celebrated as 'peace in our time' by the rest of the world, sanctions dropped, gas back on tap, business as usual. Sorry to be depressing.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
    oooh.

I hope you never find out that my IRL surname is Cohen. My mother was a Lipschitz.
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Has Nordstream2 been 'cancelled'? If not, how long would it take to reverse the decision?

I wonder if Putin is betting on any sanctions being very short-lived once he wins and the world has to deal with the new reality.

Sending (say) anti-tank and other weapons are pretty irreversible.

The purpose of sanctions would be to punish Russian elites and hurt investment in the medium term in the hope that someone sane replaces Putin. Not to win a war against a madman who has already set his own young men on a road to death. Everything announced so far is sustainable for 10+ years, which is good.
    From Putin's point of view, what hurts him are sanctions that cannot easily be reversed. If NS2's cancellation can be reversed in a day, then he wouldn't be too worried about it. All he needs to do is bribe the correct German politician.
    Any sanction can be easily reversed that way.
    Physical material cannot. Ammunition. Equipment. Or training.

Words can be reversed easily.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

I reckon the Chinese asked them to avoid the Olympics. Would partially explain the Chinese words after the invasion.
    Kazakhstani rebellion delayed the deployment by about a month.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497285592207429633/photo/1

"⚡️BREAKING: Kyiv home guard, the 112th Territorial Defense Brigade, now operate British-provided NLAWs.
    Welcome to hell, motherfuckers."

It's pretty notable how much Russia has been unwilling/unable to make headway into urban areas. If they do it is going to be horrifically bloody for all involved.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    BigRich said:

Do we know if there are street protests again in Mosco or other Russian city's again tonight? or were to many arrested last night?

Sky News showed some pictures from a St. Petersburg protest earlier, which I think was live.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
    I don’t think that is what “ Romanes eunt domo” means but close enough to what Ishmael wrote.
  • Options
    boulay said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
    I don’t think that is what “ Romanes eunt domo” means but close enough to what Ishmael wrote.
    People called Wankerus they go the 'ouse
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
    oooh.

I hope you never find out that my IRL surname is Cohen. My mother was a Lipschitz.
    I really don't care what you're called. I just know what you are.
  • Options
    Channel 4 News interviewing a female Ukrainian MP who's planning to use a Kalashnikov for the first time.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fuck off you wanker.
    oooh.

I really don't care what you're called. I just know what you are.
    Exactly.

Saturdays by appointment only, if you get my drift.
  • Options

Well Slava Ukraini (Glory to Ukraine) is a salute, to which the the response is simply Heroiam slava (to the heros, glory). On the other hand the Ukrainian anthem is the kind of inspirational that makes the hairs on the back of your neck rise up..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzgViS4Rpf8&ab_channel=BlueMarbleNations
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited February 2022
    Surprised at the market moves today.

If there’s one thing that seems likely to come out of this, it’s a notable jump in the % of GDP that will need to be spent on defence, throughout the west, in the coming decade. That should be enough to knock a few % off the valuation of global stock markets. Instead, they seem to have discounted the war as economically irrelevant.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

NEW THREAD

• Options

Condemn the invasion plus both change the colour of their first team shorts to yellow with immediate effect.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697
    I was really hoping the UK wouldn't come last this year, and it was pretty much guaranteed but then I heard this news:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60530513
  • Options
    Just seeing a former US Ambassador being surprisingly chipper about things. Putin's got enough forces to take Kiev and maybe one other city but that's about it. The question is what then? He has next to no hope of installing a puppet government that can hold power. So what will it be? The one thing he always has is enormous air power to blow the place to smithereens.

The thing is that like Trump, Putin is a bad loser. That's what worries me.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    I'm feeling that I want to do something that will make a difference, to ensure that we're not in even more danger in five years time, but I'm not sure what.

All the political discussion around the UK response seems to be centred on gradations of sanctions and Russian money. I can't find that any UK politician is talking about rearmament, so there is no-one to support in that. Is there a re-armament league, or similar pressure group? Writing a letter to my SNP MP seems pretty pointless.

Apparently I'm not quite too old for the Army Reserve, but I think my wife might divorce me if I applied for that, perhaps because she thinks it's obvious Russia will only be stopped by fighting.

I'm feeling really quite threatened, and want to do something useful about it.
  • Options

Just seeing a former US Ambassador being surprisingly chipper about things. Putin's got enough forces to take Kiev and maybe one other city but that's about it. The question is what then? He has next to no hope of installing a puppet government that can hold power. So what will it be? The one thing he always has is enormous air power to blow the place to smithereens.

The rational thing looks like it would have been to take a couple of bites out of Ukraine, weaken the rest, dare the world to retaliate, wait and repeat.

That he hasn't done that makes it look more "beware of an old (mad)man in a hurry."
  • Options
    edited February 2022

If he orders carpet bombing on civilians, maybe that'll be the point when someone steps in.
  • Options
    ping said:

Surprised at the market moves today.

If there’s one thing that seems likely to come out of this, it’s a notable jump in the % of GDP that will need to be spent on defence, throughout the west, in the coming decade. That should be enough to knock a few % off the valuation of global stock markets. Instead, they seem to have discounted the war as economically irrelevant.

you demonstrate a misunderstanding of the market....lots of people shorted the initial invasion....the market is now frocing them out
This discussion has been closed.