Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should the West do? the UK view of a range of suggestions – YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

"The old concepts of fighting big tank battles on European land mass are over," Boris rather naively told Tobias Ellwood last year.

Russia has the biggest number of tanks in the world and has just launched the first land invasion of an independent sovereign state in Europe since WW2.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1497139951552671744?s=20&t=M3ZRMfdjWd-gYHi9u8MyuQ

Boris, we need more tanks and we need to send them to Poland and the Baltic States

From the Economist:

Ukraine’s army appears to have had more opportunities to employ anti-tank weapons than many supposed. America, Britain and other European allies gave Ukraine thousands of such weapons, including long-range American Javelins and shorter-range Anglo-Swedish nlaws, over the past two months. In places, these presented serious resistance to Russian advances in the north and east. It is thought that nlaws have never been used in combat before. Video footage taken around Kharkiv appears to show damaged tanks. Ukrainian officials said that Javelins and other weapons had “neutralised” an entire column of 15 t-72 tanks in Hlukhova, in the north-west of the country close to the Russian border.

You can buy 270 nlaws for the cost of upgrading one Challenger 2.
    I dont know how anyone affords warfare. One crashed jet and you're out tens of millions.
    You have already spent the money on purchasing the jet in the first place - so what is the marginal cost? Ok I accept that you may have to replace in the jet sooner than you expected, but that is a few years time?
    It was a joke about the ballooning cost of defence procurement.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm feeling rather pessimistic at the moment.

The further invasion of Ukraine feels like a Sudetenland 1938 moment.

I think we will be fine. this is more a "in a fit of pique he decided to napalm Cheltenham" moment. I would be betting on Putin out of office by y/e if I were not so heavily invested in BJ being out of office, errm, worryingly soon
    This Ukraine Crisis could, likely will, quickly subside into nothing from here now, with ceasefire, Ukraine surrender, talks in Moscow between the governments.

The reckoning on Boris is not cancelled till summer, it’s coming as soon as this thing dies down as the lazy and poor way he has handled the crisis only adds to the reasons to replace him.
    I agree completely.

Russia will have overrun Ukraine by the end of the weekend and I'm afraid it will subside as news until the next of Putin's atrocities threatens to wake us up.

We will back to domestic politics very soon.

We may see this is appalling (it is) but MoonRabbit is right.
    Ah, two cheeks of the same Putinist arse.
    You're a really unpleasant extreme right winger.

I posted a sensible comment and you resorted to your usual pompous bellicosity.

(p.s. I loathe Putin)
    Putin is a really unpleasant extreme right winger.
  • Options

LDLF said:

I'm not a football expert but judging by general football fan reactions, closing down Chelsea is probably an automatic vote-winner at any time, war or no war.

The number one thing that would damage Russia is if the West (that includes us, but particularly the EU as well) stops buying from them. This is difficult to do as so many raw materials come from there.

En passant: by Vlad's logic, if he takes Kiev will he be giving Saint Petersburg back to Sweden?

Why stop at Greater Finland? We want Bornholm back. And Trøndelag. And while we’re at it give us back Bremen-Verden, Pomerania and Wismar too. Thieving bastards.

Come to think of it, it was us who invented Kievan Russia…
    Seriously, wouldn't the addition of Finland to NATO strengthen it massively?

It has a huge land border with Russia. NATO could conduct 'exercises' along it all year round and the Russians would be obliged to post large numbers of troops on their side 'just in case'.

I do believe attitudes towards NATO have changed markedly in Finland of late. The Finns of course have every reason to be hostile and suspicious towards the Russians.
  • Options

LDLF said:

I'm not a football expert but judging by general football fan reactions, closing down Chelsea is probably an automatic vote-winner at any time, war or no war.

The number one thing that would damage Russia is if the West (that includes us, but particularly the EU as well) stops buying from them. This is difficult to do as so many raw materials come from there.

En passant: by Vlad's logic, if he takes Kiev will he be giving Saint Petersburg back to Sweden?

Why stop at Greater Finland? We want Bornholm back. And Trøndelag. And while we’re at it give us back Bremen-Verden, Pomerania and Wismar too. Thieving bastards.

It has a huge land border with Russia. NATO could conduct 'exercises' along it all year round and the Russians would be obliged to post large numbers of troops on their side 'just in case'.

I do believe attitudes towards NATO have changed markedly in Finland of late. The Finns of course have every reason to be hostile and suspicious towards the Russians.
    Russians got a bloody nose when they tried to invade in 1939.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

"The old concepts of fighting big tank battles on European land mass are over," Boris rather naively told Tobias Ellwood last year.

Russia has the biggest number of tanks in the world and has just launched the first land invasion of an independent sovereign state in Europe since WW2.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1497139951552671744?s=20&t=M3ZRMfdjWd-gYHi9u8MyuQ

Boris, we need more tanks and we need to send them to Poland and the Baltic States

Shame all the Scottish Oil has run out. Or so you BritNats keep telling us.
    It’s the ScotNafs who don’t want to develop it:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/16/nicola-sturgeon-slaps-plans-develop-controversial-north-sea/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Thinking about the SWIFT issue. Are we more effective by banning Russia from using it, or by keeping them in and encouraging capital flight from the Russian economy?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Italian prime minister Mario Draghi successfully secured a carve out for Italian luxury goods from the EU's package of economic sanctions against Nato, EU dip tells me. 'Apparently selling Gucci loafers to oligarchs is more of a priority than hitting back at Putin,' source adds.

https://twitter.com/Barnes_Joe/status/1497194009038626842?

“The EU is preparing to freeze the assets of Russia’s president Vladimir Putin and foreign minister Sergei Lavrov as part of a third round of sanctions against Russia, the Financial Times reports.”

Wow! Getting seriously tough on them now then. 🙄

Wasn’t this done years ago? How many times down the years can they keep announcing this?

Meanwhile, Zelenskiy latest address has said:

* UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT ACCUSES EUROPE OF INSUFFICIENT REACTION, SLOW HELP TO UKRAINE
    * UKRAINE’S ZELENSKIY SAYS RUSSIAN ASSAULT LIKE REPEAT OF WORLD WAR TWO UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT CALLS ON EUROPEAN CITIZENS TO PROTEST TO FORCE THEIR GOVERNMENTS TO MORE DECISIVELY
    Moved on from the more harmonious talk of allies, which is fair enough.
    He doesn’t regard us as shoulder to shoulder, although UK government still spinning that impression out for internal consumption.

What do we make of this bit. Does Zelenskiy really want to surrender to neutrality in talks with Putin?

Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s recent comments as he called on Vladimir Putin to sit return to the negotiation table.
    In a televised statement today, Zelenskiy said he is calling on the Russian leader to negotiate to put an end to the fighting.

Will Zelenskiy stay alive to allow Moscow to use him as a puppet? Or give himself both barrels like Allende. Or flee to Spain like Peron?

Allende shot himself rather than be used as a puppet. Will Zelenskiy Putin puppet and neutral Ukraine be the end game and some sort of closure? If so, it means the NATO position of not really helping, and the fact sanctions and other help has been rubbish is justified, and could have come from our intelligence suggesting Zelenskiy would end up doing this?

My prediction is Zelenskiy will be in Moscow having talks very soon.
    Presumably the negotiations could be done on Teams/Zoom?
    It could be I agree with you. But if Russia dictate where, Zelenskiy will be flown to Moscow as I suspect.

Does PB think Zelenskiy is serious about discussing Ukraine neutrality with Moscow?
    I think it would be neutrality at the point of a gun, but he'd be under a lot of pressure from all sides to agree that as privately it would be less of a headache for the West to accept that even if officially they csnt say it.
    I think that right. What it effectively means is constitution no longer calls for NATO membership - they have never even put in an application and even the most ardent NATO supporters on this forum reckon there’s no chance of it being approved?

Also, in the crunch, as West never really stood shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, either militarily or with strong sanctions, this may just have pushed Ukraine government a little bit back East. The tricky Eastern Ukraine border would calm down to.

“ it would be less of a headache for the West to accept that even if officially they csnt say it. “ as you say, NATO HQ, EU, Washington, London would all sigh privately - thank God for that.

The only person upset would be MoonRabbit! I think they are such poor everyday people in Ukraine, I think being in EU would be great for them. You may have seen tanks on a road, I saw the advertising hoarding, discount month on irons and kettles. don’t they own tec comforts and luxury’s like we have? 😔
  • Options

I think Putin's domestic position will come under increasing pressure and he'll end up with the perfect storm of street protests coinciding with elite discontent. I just hope Zelensky lives to see it.

From some of the reputable news reports it appears he hasn't prepared Russian public opinion for this. I'm beginning to think that he genuinely believed there was a lot of pro-invasion support in Ukraine itself. If the Ukrainians have scattered lots of small units with modern anti-tank weapons and they have the morale to fight then Russian casualties will be large.
  • Options
    CDU say Germany should not block SWIFT action if EU Commission proposes it

Friedrich Merz
    @_FriedrichMerz
    „Der #SWIFT-Ausschluss ist ein sehr, sehr scharfes Schwert, das international große Schäden hinterließe. Die Haltung von @cducsubt dazu ist klar: Falls die #EU-Kommission vorschlägt, #Russland auszuschließen, sollte #Deutschland nicht Nein sagen.“ (tm)
    https://deutschlandfunk.de/interview-mit-friedrich-merz-cdu-bundesvorsitzender-zur-ukrainekrise-dlf-70921739-100.html
    https://twitter.com/_FriedrichMerz/status/1497161604542173184

"The #SWIFT exclusion is a very, very sharp sword that would cause great damage internationally. The attitude of @cducsubt It is clear that if the #EU Commission proposes to exclude #Russland, #Deutschland should not say no."
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    edited February 2022
    Draghi really is a twit - I wonder what possibly might have delayed the President of Ukraine from ordering some fine leather goods taking a phone call?

Italian PM Draghi: "We had a phone appointment at 9.30am [with Zelensky], but it was not possible to make the call, he was no longer available."
    Yes, PM #Draghi, Ukrainians are busy with tanks and rockets. Italy is not helping much. #SWIFT

That remark led to a flurry of stories about Zelenskyy having fled Kyiv…..notably promoted by China State media.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    edited February 2022

I think Putin's domestic position will come under increasing pressure and he'll end up with the perfect storm of street protests coinciding with elite discontent. I just hope Zelensky lives to see it.

From some of the reputable news reports it appears he hasn't prepared Russian public opinion for this. I'm beginning to think that he genuinely believed there was a lot of pro-invasion support in Ukraine itself. If the Ukrainians have scattered lots of small units with modern anti-tank weapons and they have the morale to fight then Russian casualties will be large.

I think the modern anti-tank weapons generate the morale to fight. They have been seen to be effective, and if they are available, then the desire to pop off another unit of the invader, and fade away has to be pretty strong.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

Regarding SWIFT, I see that Austria and Cyprus, in addition to Germany, Italy and Hungary, are against including it in sanctions at the moment. Austria's Chancellor Karl Nehammer said that suspending SWIFT would hurt the EU rather more than it would hurt Russia, and that Russia has its own payment system, or could immediately switch to using the Chinese system.

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/europa/eu-sanktionen-121.html

On Topic. SWIFT may be more nuanced than the Germany bashing this morning suggested. the explanation above may be true, and anti-reactionary and very thoughtful response… but it’s also true that list are the ones whose banks are exposed to Russian money.

Does PB really know the answer on this one?
    Why Wasn’t Russia Cut Off From SWIFT?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SuaO0ZSxw&t=310s
    That's a very good synopsis. Thanks for linking that.

I still think that on balance it would be right to cut Russia off from Swift, but I accept that the more targetted sanctions that are already in place are more likely to prove effective.

By the way, I generally hate these kinds of survey. How any asked even knew what Swift was before the war started?
    I doubt most people really even know what SWIFT is and the media reports on it aren't always accurate i.e. it isn't actually the transfer of money, it is the messaging system.
    That's true, but like http it is the backbone of those other services. Also like http, it is more efficient than what came before, while facing challenges today in the form of efficient competitors.
  • Options

Any messages home from conscripts are unlikely to conform to the official version.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

A Russian relative reports that the picture in Russia via Russian media is very confused.

Apparently there is no joined up narrative about what is going on - people are confused about what the Russian military is actually trying to do in Ukraine....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Seize Chelsea and then close them down.

I support this measure.

UEFA are bellends though.

How am I supposed to get a hotel ticket for the CL final in Paris to see Liverpool win Number 7 when the French Open is taking place at the same time.

Also, UEFA are still letting Russia/Russian teams play. Go full South Africa on them.
    Surely you can at least start by refusing the money - final switched, but the Gazprom sponsor link remains? F1 race cancelled, but taking the money remains?
    Manchester United have made a start by dropping their sponsorship deal with Aeroflot today
    That’s brilliant from them. But surely the big rich governing bodies can take the lead from their sponsors. For example, are Man U now at a disadvantage compared to others simply because they have a soul?
  • Options
    Someone looks rattled:

Putin describes Ukraine’s government as “a gang of drug addicts” and calls on the country’s forces to surrender

https://twitter.com/evangershkovich/status/1497223417573093378?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

LDLF said:

The Tsar was Grand Duke of Finland, was he not?

Revanchists please note.
  • Options

Draghi really is a twit - I wonder what possibly might have delayed the President of Ukraine from ordering some fine leather goods taking a phone call?

Italian PM Draghi: "We had a phone appointment at 9.30am [with Zelensky], but it was not possible to make the call, he was no longer available."
    Yes, PM #Draghi, Ukrainians are busy with tanks and rockets. Italy is not helping much. #SWIFT

That remark led to a flurry of stories about Zelenskyy having fled Kyiv…..notably promoted by China State media.

Ukranian politicians take their defence commitments seriously:

“How long do you think you can hold out?”

“Forever.”

Former Ukrainian President @poroshenko takes up a Kalashnikov rifle alongside civilian defense forces as he speaks to @JohnBerman from the streets of Kyiv. https://t.co/jxGl6BKgZR

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=r4OvcgecWMmFxLVWImBPVQ&s=19
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Someone looks rattled:

Putin describes Ukraine’s government as “a gang of drug addicts” and calls on the country’s forces to surrender

He doesn't do self awareness or irony, does he?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

Ukraine’s army appears to have had more opportunities to employ anti-tank weapons than many supposed. America, Britain and other European allies gave Ukraine thousands of such weapons, including long-range American Javelins and shorter-range Anglo-Swedish nlaws, over the past two months. In places, these presented serious resistance to Russian advances in the north and east. It is thought that nlaws have never been used in combat before. Video footage taken around Kharkiv appears to show damaged tanks. Ukrainian officials said that Javelins and other weapons had “neutralised” an entire column of 15 t-72 tanks in Hlukhova, in the north-west of the country close to the Russian border.

The big question about tanks is whether the investment in heavy armour actually buys you a big gain - much as warships now have little more than spall armour around the magazines.

DK Brown relates the moment that armour died in the RN for the Admirals - they asked the design section to armour the magazines in a new carrier design against a rocket propelled 2,000lb bomb. The deign section pointed out that such a weapon could pierce armour thicker than any armour could be made (there are specific limits on face hardened armour).

Tanks are (possibly) doomed by a solar problem - the thick armour is there against septic threats. Armouring the top of a tank to the same level is impossible.

In a future war involving NATO, the Americans would be dropping https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-108 by the zillion. Point defence systems on tanks might protect against that - maybe...

In surface anti-tank weapons, cheap top-attack munitions are here (NLAW) - fire and forget, the weapon flies itself *over* the tank and explodes downward.
    There’s different things you need to do in conflict isn’t there? It can’t all be over the horizon and emergent technology if you need to hold an area, guard something, steal something? Where I posted last week, similar to what Boris said tanks are so last century, it could be that type of holding and guarding is done differently or not as much in modern warfare?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    A comment I've just received from someone who knows Ukraine well, for what it's worth.

"Background gamma radiation levels are rising at Chernobyl. The Russian soldiers there are drunk and were selling their diesel to buy food and drink when they were in Belarus. I noticed the FSB and special forces are selling their boots to raise cash (I have the same taste in boots). That means they are fucked. The privatisation of the military logistics in Russia has been a total fuck up. A subject I know well.

The FSB and KGB murder squads are a bunch of losers. I have seen what they do in Kyiv (I was evacuated from my hotel because of a couple of murders when I was there). They use drunk losers who get caught and then die on their first day in jail. Barely scary, thick as shit and easy to catch. Welcome to the real world of the botox dwarf’s murder machine. It is not that scary. He is not that scary.
    If the Russians set one boot over the NATO border they will be apologising for their stupidity as Wagner did when they were carpet bombed by the US. A different league entirely."
  • Options

Someone looks rattled:

An interesting accusation. More projection from him I think.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    On balance, Italians view Russia as more of a friend than an enemy.

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1497183887939805210?s=21
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I think we will be fine. this is more a "in a fit of pique he decided to napalm Cheltenham" moment. I would be betting on Putin out of office by y/e if I were not so heavily invested in BJ being out of office, errm, worryingly soon
    This Ukraine Crisis could, likely will, quickly subside into nothing from here now, with ceasefire, Ukraine surrender, talks in Moscow between the governments.

The reckoning on Boris is not cancelled till summer, it’s coming as soon as this thing dies down as the lazy and poor way he has handled the crisis only adds to the reasons to replace him.
    I agree completely.

Russia will have overrun Ukraine by the end of the weekend and I'm afraid it will subside as news until the next of Putin's atrocities threatens to wake us up.

(p.s. I loathe Putin)
    If you consider JJ to be a right winger then your whole political compass is terminally skewed.
    Everyone who disagrees is an 'extreme right-winger' in Heathener's world.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,081

darkage said:

kle4 said:

Italian prime minister Mario Draghi successfully secured a carve out for Italian luxury goods from the EU's package of economic sanctions against Nato, EU dip tells me. 'Apparently selling Gucci loafers to oligarchs is more of a priority than hitting back at Putin,' source adds.

“The EU is preparing to freeze the assets of Russia’s president Vladimir Putin and foreign minister Sergei Lavrov as part of a third round of sanctions against Russia, the Financial Times reports.”

Wasn’t this done years ago? How many times down the years can they keep announcing this?

* UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT ACCUSES EUROPE OF INSUFFICIENT REACTION, SLOW HELP TO UKRAINE
    * UKRAINE’S ZELENSKIY SAYS RUSSIAN ASSAULT LIKE REPEAT OF WORLD WAR TWO UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT CALLS ON EUROPEAN CITIZENS TO PROTEST TO FORCE THEIR GOVERNMENTS TO MORE DECISIVELY
    He doesn’t regard us as shoulder to shoulder, although UK government still spinning that impression out for internal consumption.

What do we make of this bit. Does Zelenskiy really want to surrender to neutrality in talks with Putin?

Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s recent comments as he called on Vladimir Putin to sit return to the negotiation table.
    In a televised statement today, Zelenskiy said he is calling on the Russian leader to negotiate to put an end to the fighting.

Will Zelenskiy stay alive to allow Moscow to use him as a puppet? Or give himself both barrels like Allende. Or flee to Spain like Peron?

Allende shot himself rather than be used as a puppet. Will Zelenskiy Putin puppet and neutral Ukraine be the end game and some sort of closure? If so, it means the NATO position of not really helping, and the fact sanctions and other help has been rubbish is justified, and could have come from our intelligence suggesting Zelenskiy would end up doing this?

It could be I agree with you. But if Russia dictate where, Zelenskiy will be flown to Moscow as I suspect.

Does PB think Zelenskiy is serious about discussing Ukraine neutrality with Moscow?
    The fact they have suggested Byelorus as a neutral venue tells you all you need to know.

I wouldn’t go there if I were Zelensky
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

LDLF said:

I watched Niinisto's press conference y'day. They tread a fine line and button their lips when the question of Nato comes up. Of course they do, that is an implication of "Finlandisation" which Macron was 'helpfully' proposing to Putin last week as a solution for Ukraine. My late brother-in-law was a senior officer in the Finnish army and decades ago pointed out that the Russian TEBoil petrol stations were optimally placed on the Finnish road network to refuel tanks from the east.

btw Russian forces on the Finnish border have been reduced since the troop build-up around Ukraine.

• Options

LDLF said:

Revanchists please note.
    I bet the Finns loved him.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Regarding SWIFT, I see that Austria and Cyprus, in addition to Germany, Italy and Hungary, are against including it in sanctions at the moment. Austria's Chancellor Karl Nehammer said that suspending SWIFT would hurt the EU rather more than it would hurt Russia, and that Russia has its own payment system, or could immediately switch to using the Chinese system.

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/europa/eu-sanktionen-121.html

On Topic. SWIFT may be more nuanced than the Germany bashing this morning suggested. the explanation above may be true, and anti-reactionary and very thoughtful response… but it’s also true that list are the ones whose banks are exposed to Russian money.

Does PB really know the answer on this one?
    Why Wasn’t Russia Cut Off From SWIFT?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SuaO0ZSxw&t=310s
    That's a very good synopsis. Thanks for linking that.

I still think that on balance it would be right to cut Russia off from Swift, but I accept that the more targetted sanctions that are already in place are more likely to prove effective.

By the way, I generally hate these kinds of survey. How any asked even knew what Swift was before the war started?
    I doubt most people really even know what SWIFT is and the media reports on it aren't always accurate i.e. it isn't actually the transfer of money, it is the messaging system.
    SWIFT does not just underpin international payments but potentially even more importantly it is the tool that facilitates trade finance. Documentary credits (Letters of credit) and stand by letters of credit (on demand payment guarantees) are issued through the SWIFT system. It would be a major blow if Russia was excluded from this.
    This SWIFT argument has good arguments both sides, it may never come to a conclusion.

Interesting though, opportunistic opposition parties push it, and those governments with banks not as badly exposed push it making out they are tougher, and that sort of politicking is also part of the discussion.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

A Russian relative reports that the picture in Russia via Russian media is very confused.

Apparently there is no joined up narrative about what is going on - people are confused about what the Russian military is actually trying to do in Ukraine....
    I doubt Putin thought that Ukraine would put up such a fight

It would not surprise me if Putin was gone within a week, he looks very rattled in his latest video.

He has made Russia a Pariah State with absolutely no gain. Even if he installs a puppet Government in Kyiv the people there will not accept it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,735

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

I think it would be neutrality at the point of a gun, but he'd be under a lot of pressure from all sides to agree that as privately it would be less of a headache for the West to accept that even if officially they csnt say it.
    I think that right. What it effectively means is constitution no longer calls for NATO membership - they have never even put in an application and even the most ardent NATO supporters on this forum reckon there’s no chance of it being approved?

Also, in the crunch, as West never really stood shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, either militarily or with strong sanctions, this may just have pushed Ukraine government a little bit back East. The tricky Eastern Ukraine border would calm down to.

“ it would be less of a headache for the West to accept that even if officially they csnt say it. “ as you say, NATO HQ, EU, Washington, London would all sigh privately - thank God for that....
    if you think that's the limit of Putin's demands, then I think you're being naive.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,780
    "Did Covid pandemic send Putin mad? Neuropsychologist reveals how 'progressive isolation' could have left the Russian leader, 69, even further detached from reality and 'diminished his ability to weigh up risk'

Putin could be suffering from hubris syndrome, according to expert
    It is associated with a loss of contact with reality and inability to weigh up risk"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10551251/Did-Covid-send-Putin-mad.html
  • Options

LDLF said:

Revanchists please note.
    I bet the Finns loved him.
    Boris Johnson is Minister for the Union.

-62 last I looked.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I support this measure.

How am I supposed to get a hotel ticket for the CL final in Paris to see Liverpool win Number 7 when the French Open is taking place at the same time.

Also, UEFA are still letting Russia/Russian teams play. Go full South Africa on them.
    Surely you can at least start by refusing the money - final switched, but the Gazprom sponsor link remains? F1 race cancelled, but taking the money remains?
    Manchester United have made a start by dropping their sponsorship deal with Aeroflot today
    That’s brilliant from them. But surely the big rich governing bodies can take the lead from their sponsors. For example, are Man U now at a disadvantage compared to others simply because they have a soul?
    Other teams should give them a goal start, not that they need it so much these days.
  • Options
    The view of the American public:

Views of Russia are tanking.

85% now view it unfavorably -- the highest since the end of the Cold War.

http://on.gallup.com/3BRjqP1

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1497199646699102209

They were a lot faster off the mark than some of their politicians during the Falklands too.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

LDLF said:

42-28 were against joining in January and the PM ruled it out, according to this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finlands-pm-says-nato-membership-is-very-unlikely-her-watch-2022-01-19/

Recent events may have shifted attitudes, though. A Feb poll by the Farmers' Union suggests 45-33 in favour:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12305027#:~:text=A fresh poll commissioned and published by the,that membership were recommended by the nation's leaders

I've never heard of Russia showing any real interest in Finland since WW2, though others may know otherwise. As neighbourly relations go, everyone seemed to move on after Russia had attacked Finland and Finland had then allied with Germany to attack Russia - you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't, perhaps because Finland has been ostentiously neutral ever since (which is why the PM is still reluctant). Active dislike between Russia and the Baltic States is far more intense, and there it really is NATO membership which is likely to be a deterrent.

• Options
    Putin needs regime change relatively quickly.

It feels like he his propaganda is failing, the dissent is more than expected, his troops are under-prepared, and the Ukrainians are feistier than expected.

Of course he has the “option” of years-long occupation, but I can’t see how that’s sustainable.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

darkage said:

kle4 said:

The fact they have suggested Byelorus as a neutral venue tells you all you need to know.

I wouldn’t go there if I were Zelensky
    The fact that they have suggested talks tells you that it’s not exactly going as they hoped….
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Did Covid pandemic send Putin mad? Neuropsychologist reveals how 'progressive isolation' could have left the Russian leader, 69, even further detached from reality and 'diminished his ability to weigh up risk'

It is associated with a loss of contact with reality and inability to weigh up risk"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10551251/Did-Covid-send-Putin-mad.html

Or maybe he's just a tnuc.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Someone looks rattled:

He's on steroids or some such with that moon face

Plus if the Parkinson's theory is correct, NB that a side effect of levodopa is problem gambling

Silly old man having senior moment, ignore. Beria moment incoming.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Any messages home from conscripts are unlikely to conform to the official version.
    Point of order.

Why are RT still broadcasting on UK Freeview?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Has David Cameron been diagnosed yet?
  • Options

FPT

At this juncture, the EU foreign policy architecture has failed.

By allowing some countries to veto effective sanctions, it makes Europe - and the West - weaker.

It is not just Germany’s Wandel durch Handel that is discredited.

No wonder Tusk is furious, the Baltics scathing, and Ukraine despairing.

None of this excuses London’s own failings, but this is a monumental error by the EU (and Germany in particular), and there will be ramifications.

I bet those ramifications will be more power for Brussels
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796

It would not surprise me if Putin was gone within a week, he looks very rattled in his latest video.

He has made Russia a Pariah State with absolutely no gain. Even if he installs a puppet Government in Kyiv the people there will not accept it.
    There were instructions yesterday to Russian media that they could only use information from the state organisations in their broadcasts.

• Options

An absolute bunch of Corbyns.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I support this measure.

Oh I don't disagree. All these Sporting organisations - and to be honest any other companies - should be taking the lead and cutting ties with Russian companies. What might be useful is if the British Government pre-empted this by saying that no company or organisation could be sued for breach of contract for this given the current de facto state of war.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Meanwhile the stock markets are on big rallies today. Why? Because capitalists only care about money and they know the sanctions don't touch the real dosh.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market-data

Easy to blame the EU but where was London when Putin's money was flowing here over the last 15 years? When Boris played tennis for £160,000 of Putin's mafiosa money the same year that Putin shot down MH17, killing 283 innocent people including 80 children.

No Conservative can claim the moral high ground today.

Keep on serving your master in Moscow.

Trying to sow party political division where all are United in horror at what Putin is doing
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

Clearly a Diplomacy player.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I agree completely.

(p.s. I loathe Putin)
    It's just that if I was a paid to post stuff to benefit Russia in this current environment, on a board with a generally (*) intelligent readership and posters, I would post the stuff you are. "Oh of course I hate Putin. But look, it'll all blow over and Boris is really at fault. He needs replacing."

Or similar. As you did in your post.

(*) excepting myself
  • Options
    What's clear is that is that if Moscow had hopes of quick and easy gains, they were terribly optimistic. My main concern is that over time the Russian military may revert to heavy use of firepower, and this will result in immense destruction, and large civilian casualties.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497227242233077766?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

There were instructions yesterday to Russian media that they could only use information from the state organisations in their broadcasts.

In the world of social media, information gets through.

• Options

LDLF said:

42-28 were against joining in January and the PM ruled it out, according to this:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finlands-pm-says-nato-membership-is-very-unlikely-her-watch-2022-01-19/

Recent events may have shifted attitudes, though. A Feb poll by the Farmers' Union suggests 45-33 in favour:

https://yle.fi/news/3-12305027#:~:text=A fresh poll commissioned and published by the,that membership were recommended by the nation's leaders

I've never heard of Russia showing any real interest in Finland since WW2, though others may know otherwise. As neighbourly relations go, everyone seemed to move on after Russia had attacked Finland and Finland had then allied with Germany to attack Russia - you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't, perhaps because Finland has been ostentiously neutral ever since (which is why the PM is still reluctant). Active dislike between Russia and the Baltic States is far more intense, and there it really is NATO membership which is likely to be a deterrent.

As Peter points out, after China and Ukraine, it's Russia's longest potentially hostile border. Finnish neutrality massively suits Russia, and having a much more powerful neighbour remain quiescent suits Finland too.
    The second part of that calculus has just changed.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

The big question about tanks is whether the investment in heavy armour actually buys you a big gain - much as warships now have little more than spall armour around the magazines.

DK Brown relates the moment that armour died in the RN for the Admirals - they asked the design section to armour the magazines in a new carrier design against a rocket propelled 2,000lb bomb. The deign section pointed out that such a weapon could pierce armour thicker than any armour could be made (there are specific limits on face hardened armour).

Tanks are (possibly) doomed by a solar problem - the thick armour is there against septic threats. Armouring the top of a tank to the same level is impossible.

In a future war involving NATO, the Americans would be dropping https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-108 by the zillion. Point defence systems on tanks might protect against that - maybe...

In surface anti-tank weapons, cheap top-attack munitions are here (NLAW) - fire and forget, the weapon flies itself *over* the tank and explodes downward.
    There’s different things you need to do in conflict isn’t there? It can’t all be over the horizon and emergent technology if you need to hold an area, guard something, steal something? Where I posted last week, similar to what Boris said tanks are so last century, it could be that type of holding and guarding is done differently or not as much in modern warfare?
    Being in a nice metal box is only cool if the nice metal box keeps out the weather. Weather being shaped charge jets at Mach 10, darts made out of uranium at Mach 5 and the like.

In Iraq, a Challenger 2 survived x number of hits from RPGs. Nice.

If every expendable foot soldier is carrying a throwaway top attack weapon (NLAW and the like) - then suddenly your tank is just a place to be cremated in.

Up till now, in low-intensity wars, tanks were still useful - the weapons to crack them weren't generally available to low level opponents.

But people were already asking about the definite problems in a high intensity conflict. Someone dumps 10,000 smart anti-tank munitions in the sky over your tank army..... The Americans, in the Second Gulf war, tried that on an Iraqi armoured division....
  • Options

They were a lot faster off the mark than some of their politicians during the Falklands too.

Nonetheless a former President, former Mayor of NY, ex-Editor of Breitbart and most Fox News presenters remain behind the eight ball.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Yes, absolutely. I so hope Putin gets crucified by his own people.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,102

Someone looks rattled:

He's calling on the Ukrainian military to take power from Zelensky. I think it's another sign that things are not going well for Russia.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    FPT : I see the thugs from Chechnya are back. They've played a very important role in Russia's descent, over 20 years now.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10551327/Chechen-special-forces-hunters-unleashed-Ukraine-detain-kill-Kyiv-officials.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

CDU say Germany should not block SWIFT action if EU Commission proposes it

Friedrich Merz
    @_FriedrichMerz
    „Der #SWIFT-Ausschluss ist ein sehr, sehr scharfes Schwert, das international große Schäden hinterließe. Die Haltung von @cducsubt dazu ist klar: Falls die #EU-Kommission vorschlägt, #Russland auszuschließen, sollte #Deutschland nicht Nein sagen.“ (tm)
    https://deutschlandfunk.de/interview-mit-friedrich-merz-cdu-bundesvorsitzender-zur-ukrainekrise-dlf-70921739-100.html
    https://twitter.com/_FriedrichMerz/status/1497161604542173184

"The #SWIFT exclusion is a very, very sharp sword that would cause great damage internationally. The attitude of @cducsubt It is clear that if the #EU Commission proposes to exclude #Russland, #Deutschland should not say no."

OK then EU Commission, propose it.

Or maybe they will hold back on SWIFT action, until, you know, things get serious....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Interior Ministry adviser Vadym Denysenko says 18,000 machine guns "have been handed out in Kyiv to all volunteers, all those who want to defend our capital with weapons in their arms".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Shame all the Scottish Oil has run out. Or so you BritNats keep telling us.
    Jeezo.

Why not give it a rest?

Who's gonna vote to dismember the strongest European NATO member, strip it of its nuclear deterrent, ban nuclear power generation, and scrap oil and gas extraction, now?

Well you, I guess?

No one because you and your party that Scotland hasn’t backed since the 1950s are scared shitless of having a vote and would rather relinquish control over said vote to the worst pm of the last century.
    Next?
  • Options

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I agree completely.

LOL 😂 it’s quite clear from 2500 posts I’m not a Putinist, nor a leftie! It’s also clear I’m trying to delve into facts behind the arguments and deliver cold sober analysis and what comes next.

Seriously, Jos, how do you see comings weeks pan out in this war and ceasefire abroad, and politics domestically in UK, that’s different than what I said in this thread?

I think the fact this happened throws up so many questions, once the war abates, the arguments in the West will really intensify. Lots of lessons to be learned, legacy and behaviour to be trashed or defended, between the western powers, but also in each countries domestic politics.

And there is not just the question of how, but why. Some on this forum say Putin mentally I’ll and Russian Nationalist in equal measure, Putin says it’s about security nukes in Cuba style, Trump and supporters say Putin has a point.

I’d like to add a third cause. Deep deep thinking from me, maybe it was Ukraine getting richer in EU in contrast across Russian border that mostly spooks Moscow.
  • Options

Point of order.

Because OFCOM are still investigating.
  • Options

Nonetheless a former President, former Mayor of NY, ex-Editor of Breitbart and most Fox News presenters remain behind the eight ball.
    Dare we hope that Putin's miscalculation will not only result in his own removal but also the end of Trump's malign influence?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited February 2022
    Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

vlad is a busted flush, and a vctim - Oh the irony - of twitter and facebook. He is fucked by vids of missiles in Kyiv/the woman with the bandaged head/Snake Island.

Time to revert to the serious matter of Pig Dog's future.
  • Options

The survey was in Nov 2021.

I see that India was even more pro Russian. Not too surprised at China.

• Options

Point of order.

They will report next year.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Putin needs regime change relatively quickly.

It feels like he his propaganda is failing, the dissent is more than expected, his troops are under-prepared, and the Ukrainians are feistier than expected.

Of course he has the “option” of years-long occupation, but I can’t see how that’s sustainable.

I'm not sure that the power brokers in the Kremlin see that as an option. It just erodes their wealth and prestige over time.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

I dont know how anyone affords warfare. One crashed jet and you're out tens of millions.
    The 1800-to-early-1900s was filled with nations building battleships that they refused to then risk in combat because they were too expensive (along with other hilarious things like practically scrapping ships as they rolled off the launch as tech had moved on so fast they were totally outclassed in the time taken to build them)
  • Options
    Russia has warned Finland, Sweden of military consequences if they seek to join NATO.

https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/1497222749252632583?s=21
  • Options
    What I can't work out, unless the basic theory that Vlad has gone mad or his medication has sent him mad, is why he wants Ukraine as a locked in part of Russia?

You are bringing millions of people who have had a taste of democracy into the 'family' of Russia fed, thousands of whom will no doubt join up with and covertly work with pro-democracy forces in Russia itself.

He's helping seed the inevitable revolution that brings his lot down.

Maybe he really does know he has run out of time?

• Options

Point of order.

Fair point.

OFCOM presumably remain under EU control post Brexit... or does it just seem like it.
  • Options

Russia has warned Finland, Sweden of military consequences if they seek to join NATO.

What an absolute fu***ing lunatic. And I rarely swear.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

Being in a nice metal box is only cool if the nice metal box keeps out the weather. Weather being shaped charge jets at Mach 10, darts made out of uranium at Mach 5 and the like.

In Iraq, a Challenger 2 survived x number of hits from RPGs. Nice.

If every expendable foot soldier is carrying a throwaway top attack weapon (NLAW and the like) - then suddenly your tank is just a place to be cremated in.

Up till now, in low-intensity wars, tanks were still useful - the weapons to crack them weren't generally available to low level opponents.

But people were already asking about the definite problems in a high intensity conflict. Someone dumps 10,000 smart anti-tank munitions in the sky over your tank army..... The Americans, in the Second Gulf war, tried that on an Iraqi armoured division....
    👍🏻
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

LDLF said:

"you'd think it would have left lasting bad feeling, but it apprently didn't"
    My deep connections to Finland of some 60 years tell me you couldn't be more wrong, and not just from those who were displaced from Karelia.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

vlad is a busted flush, and a vctim - Oh the irony - of twitter and facebook. He is fucked by vids of missiles in Kyiv/the woman with the bandaged head/Snake Island.

Leave Big Dog alone.

He has proven himself to be a Churchillian British Bulldog.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I agree completely.

(p.s. I loathe Putin)
    It's just that if I was a paid to post stuff to benefit Russia in this current environment, on a board with a generally (*) intelligent readership and posters, I would post the stuff you are. "Oh of course I hate Putin. But look, it'll all blow over and Boris is really at fault. He needs replacing."

(*) excepting myself
    This post is just silly Jos, youve shown before you are better than this.
  • Options

What's clear is that is that if Moscow had hopes of quick and easy gains, they were terribly optimistic. My main concern is that over time the Russian military may revert to heavy use of firepower, and this will result in immense destruction, and large civilian casualties.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497227242233077766?

I think that highly likely.

City fighting evens things up a lot. Plenty of cover for snipers and anti tank weapons. Use of air power and artillery highly destructive, as we saw in Syria. I think that would be the Russian plan B.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Why does it seem almost more offensive that Putin lies about killing people than that he kills them?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Dare we hope that Putin's miscalculation will not only result in his own removal but also the end of Trump's malign influence?
    Ironically, Trump, who got elected by telling people what they wanted to hear, is now pro-vaccine and pro-Putin when his supporters are not.

That could be costly for him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,385

The GOP/Fox positioning on this is insanely ill-advised. The instinctive reaction of 90% of humans to what Russia is doing is UGH, VOMIT

It's a simple reflex. To be on the wrong side of that reflex is as daft as it is politically dangerous
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,086

72% of Republican voters now see Russian military power as a threat, Trump will have to shift course as a result
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I agree completely.

(p.s. I loathe Putin)

(*) excepting myself
    I think the Russians have found it more successful to fund fringe Western political ideas and leaders that cause division and chaos.
  • Options

Sadly if you are in Europe and not already in NATO unlikely you will be joining now until Putin goes
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I support this measure.

Oh I don't disagree. All these Sporting organisations - and to be honest any other companies - should be taking the lead and cutting ties with Russian companies. What might be useful is if the British Government pre-empted this by saying that no company or organisation could be sued for breach of contract for this given the current de facto state of war.
    That’s a great idea 👍🏻
  • Options
    Top 3 pessimists realists; Netherlands, UK, Australia. Top 3 optimists deluded, China, Saudi, Russia (although majorities in these do believe it will never be possible to fully stop COVID):

"We will never be able to fully stop the spread of COVID-19"

85% of Brits agree with this statement, 2nd highest level after 🇳🇱 among 30 countries in a new global survey for @wef

https://ipsos.com/en-uk/covid-19-expectations-vaccination-february-2022
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Someone looks rattled:

One of the perks of the job, I think.

Meanwhile, just had the new energy rates through for Casa Romford.

I knew it was coming, and I'm sure my supplier are pushing the envelope a bit but... Blimey.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

I do hope you are right but again I fear that you are writing as if the Kremlin and Russia as a whole is a logical place at the moment. Logic dictates you are right. History and experience perhaps not.
  • Options

How many more countries do they claim dominion over ?
    Putin is simply a megalomaniac nutter.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

Sweden have the Strix IR guided mortar round designed for going through tank roofs. Fired from a standard 120mm mortar.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Well Italians also fought with Hitler in WW2. At least Germany has now changed tack from dictators and sees Putin as more of a threat.

The current Italian government under Draghi though will be relatively pro NATO, if Salvini or Meloni became Italian PM that could change
  • Options

Maybe Putin really has gone completely mental.
  • Options

No maybe about it.
  • Options
    That Snake Island audio. My God. Russia is dishonoured in front of the whole world. Shameful

And those brave Ukrainians. Dudes
  • Options
    Omnium said:

No maybe about it.
    I wonder if there is a coup being plotted - he is 69 - and this is a desperate distraction he has created
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,261

Pants on his head, pencils up his nose.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,895
    Russia doesn’t want street battles as the body bags would pile up and that would result in higher Ukrainian civilian casualties.

Given many Russians have family links with Ukraine this could cause problems for Putin.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

From the Economist:

Sweden have the Strix IR guided mortar round designed for going through tank roofs. Fired from a standard 120mm mortar.
    Big and Expensive were selling Merlin back in the day.... well, trying to....

There was a big shift in the viability of armoured vehicles when everyone got an RPG

When everyone has a top attack missile - well, there's another shift coming.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    edited February 2022
    Well, am back in A&E following a 111 call. A daft thing really but tiresome - a thumb infection which has lasted a week and is now getting worse and painful. I'll spare you the gory details.

3rd time in 2 years my immune system has been unable to fight off a small infection. Not ideal.

The wait is estimated to be 5 hours .........

Infuriatingly it's quite spring like outside .....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Well Italians also fought with Hitler in WW2. At least Germany has now changed tack from dictators and sees Putin as more of a threat.

The current Italian government under Draghi though will be relatively pro NATO, if Salvini or Meloni became Italian PM that could change
    I don't know why, but whenever I read your posts these days I think of the Brian Glover character from Porridge.
This discussion has been closed.