Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should the West do? the UK view of a range of suggestions – YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,477

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

I'm feeling rather pessimistic at the moment.

The further invasion of Ukraine feels like a Sudetenland 1938 moment.

I think we will be fine. this is more a "in a fit of pique he decided to napalm Cheltenham" moment. I would be betting on Putin out of office by y/e if I were not so heavily invested in BJ being out of office, errm, worryingly soon
    This Ukraine Crisis could, likely will, quickly subside into nothing from here now, with ceasefire, Ukraine surrender, talks in Moscow between the governments.

The reckoning on Boris is not cancelled till summer, it’s coming as soon as this thing dies down as the lazy and poor way he has handled the crisis only adds to the reasons to replace him.
    I agree completely.

Russia will have overrun Ukraine by the end of the weekend and I'm afraid it will subside as news until the next of Putin's atrocities threatens to wake us up.

We will back to domestic politics very soon.

We may see this is appalling (it is) but MoonRabbit is right.
    Ah, two cheeks of the same Putinist arse.
    LOL 😂 it’s quite clear from 2500 posts I’m not a Putinist, nor a leftie!
    Putin's not a leftie either!
    He’s not. But so many left wing and right wing minds are hot wired and living in the past, such as the 12 Labour politicians and their letter so predictably supported Putin, they can’t tell the difference from communists or Putin in the Kremlin.

In his last election he campaigned on Conservative values, his support for Russian church etc. sort of things the Marxists had no time for and worse by their actions.
    Putin's United Russia's main opponent is the Communist Party, Russian elections are a bit like alien v predator!

Russians don't really do liberalism except for a handful of highly educated and very rich people living in the big cities
    Putin has no 'main opponent'. He has performative opponents that he can beat very comfortably in staged contests. Real opponents - the likes of Navalny - are jailed or killed.

At one time (the 2000 election), the Communists really were a force that might win. Indeed, that was one of the main reasons Yeltsin resigned and Putin took over. However, those days are long gone.

This is why talk of oligarchs is anachronistic. In 2000, there were meaningful points of dispersed power. The oligarchs were one such (or several such, depending on your take), as were the media networks they and others controlled. As were semi-autonomous parts of the state, including the prosecutors office, as was Yeltsin and his family for that matter.

No longer. All meaningful power and control of all significant money resides in the Kremlin or via people franchised by it. And by 'the Kremlin', that means Putin, personally and individually. He wields more power in Russia than any individual since Stalin; he is a republican tsar.

But like tsars, and like Stalin, he is still vulnerable to a coup, a revolution or an assassin's bomb or bullet.
    That was such a depressing post, I’m glad it finished on an optimistic note 🙂

I’m replying mainly so this is replicated and read by a new audience just switching on, because to me you have summed up this history very well.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kyf_100 said:

BigRich said:

MaxPB said:

Something that really worries me is in 10 days or so if Russia has taken heavy losses and made little to no advance that Putin will deploy nuclear weapons. He seems mad enough to do it.

I really don't think he will do that,

however what I am scared of would be if, after being defeated or such heavy casualties that he is forced to retreat, in a spitefully mood, he might explode a few bombs at the Chainable nuclear plant, spreading nuclear waste in to the atmosphere, if done when the wind was in the correct direction this would be devastating. and he could clame that it was Ukraine guns that did it, giving him plausible deniability.

I don't think this will happen, but sadly its possible.
    He doesn't need nuclear weapons. What worries me is if he meets heavy resistance and street fighting in Kyiv, he simply decides to carpet bomb the place, Dresden style.

In his mind I am sure he could twist it as every citizen is part of an armed militia, making them enemy combatants, therefore fair game.

The longer this goes on the more I worry that he will commit an atrocity. I hope I'm wrong, but if he did decide to carpet bomb a couple of cities, what are we going to do? Finally ban him from Swift?

Sadly I think the only people who can prevent him are his own generals.
    That would be the end of him.
    There are deep cultural and family ties. Part of his argument, popular with Russian Nationalists, is that Ukrainians are really Russian anyways.
    Not sure carpet bombing them would be the way to go.
    About as smart as the British shelling Dublin. Look how that turned out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    HYUFD said:

"The old concepts of fighting big tank battles on European land mass are over," Boris rather naively told Tobias Ellwood last year.

Russia has the biggest number of tanks in the world and has just launched the first land invasion of an independent sovereign state in Europe since WW2.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1497139951552671744?s=20&t=M3ZRMfdjWd-gYHi9u8MyuQ

Boris, we need more tanks and we need to send them to Poland and the Baltic States

No we don't, and no we don't.

Needing to make tanks and sell them to Poland and the Baltic States though, is a different matter.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Tough old day. I got arrested by the Ukrainian army for filming them: "Are you a Russian spy?" No etc. They were nicer than Putin. I got a cup of tea. Spent time at Ukraine Int HQ as they checked me out. Never mind. #Putin's war is not going well.

Vladimir Putin is in trouble.

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1497249498258620419

Interesting - he argues in the video that Putin is staying his hand in Kyiv because the optics of levelling the city would play very badly at home.

Well, it would. Kyiv may be in Ukraine, but it's still one of the great cultural and historic centres of Russia. Levelling it *would * look bad. Moreover, it's hard to justify invading to save a country if you end by destroying it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

What strikes me is what we are asking of the Ukrainian, to fight alone in a war of survival, but with extra weaponry. In essence, we are asking them to make the war more brutal, more attritional, more bloody to deter Russia. Some of what we provide might help shield the civilians in cities, but on average the emphasis of our defence help is not immediately humanitarian in nature.

Immediately, perhaps not, but in the longer term it is. Otherwise anyone attacked would be advised on humanitarian grounds to simply surrender.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Was this a 'mistake'?

"Germany reportedly refused to allow Estonia to send its German-made weapons to Ukraine. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania pledged support to Kyiv against possible Russian aggression."
    https://www.dw.com/en/germany-blocks-estonian-arms-exports-to-ukraine-report/a-60520988

What do you think? Do you think it's a malicious act by a cold and soulless nation?
    I think it's a principled act by a cold and soulless administration with really shitty principles.

Your turn. What do you think of it?
    As I put it on the PT really - I disagree with Germany's reticence in this matter but I don't feel right condemning them for it, or ascribing negative national characteristics to it. I think it largely comes from something that I find understandable and not malign.
    Ukrainians are throwing glass bottles full of petrol at Russian tanks, but you understand why the Germans are too nobly principled to help the poor fuckers out?

I don't understand.
    I don't applaud their current stance on this conflict but, yes, I think I do understand at least some of why Germany has wanted to build a profitable relationship with Russia and why they are predisposed to keep out of military conflict outside of their borders. What I understand less is somebody *not* having any appreciation of this.

But if you want to go full monty condemnation from here in the UK about a shameful, commerce-grubbing nation selling out Ukraine to appease and enable tyranny, if that's the analysis you like, the one that rings true to you, you go right ahead. It seems to be a popular take, both here and elsewhere. I'm just not keen on it and I prefer mine.
    Fixed it for you.

And the commerce grubbing extends to other places as well.

Not least dear old Londontown.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Serious question to Malmesbury - When do you plan to end the covid data? Its no great hassle to scroll over it (as you may have guessed I gave up on covid over a year ago) as I take no interest in it but just wondered if you have an end game plan!

Carry on until I have turned PB into an endless pile of monoliths......

My manifesto is expressed here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjogCytzX0s
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

"The old concepts of fighting big tank battles on European land mass are over," Boris rather naively told Tobias Ellwood last year.

Russia has the biggest number of tanks in the world and has just launched the first land invasion of an independent sovereign state in Europe since WW2.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1497139951552671744?s=20&t=M3ZRMfdjWd-gYHi9u8MyuQ

Boris, we need more tanks and we need to send them to Poland and the Baltic States

Shame all the Scottish Oil has run out. Or so you BritNats keep telling us.
    You don't want to go too far down that road though do you. I thought you were against fracking?

(My view is that it's best to get to renewables as fast as possible, but I'd not object to fracking in the UK if it helped get Germany off the Russian hook)
    He's fine with it - he's in Sweden.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,072
    NATO stmt following meeting today: “We have activated NATO’s defence plans to prepare ourselves to respond to a range of contingencies and secure Alliance territory…We are now making significant additional defensive deployments of forces to the eastern part of the Alliance.”
    https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1497261349008773125
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Today at 10:30 am at the entrances to Chernihiv, Hostomel and Melitopol there were heavy fighting. People died. Next time I'll try to move the war schedule to talk to #MarioDraghi at a specific time. Meanwhile, Ukraine continues to fight for its people.
    11:36 AM · Feb 25, 2022"

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497173609957236738

Blimey, finding time for twitter burns? The media war at least going well.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055

Tough old day. I got arrested by the Ukrainian army for filming them: "Are you a Russian spy?" No etc. They were nicer than Putin. I got a cup of tea. Spent time at Ukraine Int HQ as they checked me out. Never mind. #Putin's war is not going well.

Vladimir Putin is in trouble.

https://twitter.com/johnsweeneyroar/status/1497249498258620419

Interesting - he argues in the video that Putin is staying his hand in Kyiv because the optics of levelling the city would play very badly at home.

It's hard to argue that you're invading because Russians are Ukrainians are 'one people', and then kill thousands of what you've called your 'own people'.

Worse, it might show Russians that you can fight your 'own people'.

It's easier to fight a war against a people you call Untermensch.
  • Options

Serious question to Malmesbury - When do you plan to end the covid data? Its no great hassle to scroll over it (as you may have guessed I gave up on covid over a year ago) as I take no interest in it but just wondered if you have an end game plan!

"Don't you know there's a war on?" :lol:
  • Options

ok right!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Stopping russian government bond sales in London and NY would be interesting. Investors want to buy them in London or NY because of legal protections and the ability of the courts to pass and enforce judgements against state actors. It could genuinely cripple the Russian state because no sensible investors would buy Russian government bonds sold under Russian or even EU law.

Why has it not happened? Too expensive for London and NY? Hmmm… Swift…

Germans = bad
    London = good
    I think it needs to be coordinated with the US and probably needs quite a lot of legal checking.

The City has been briefed that we're going to get caught up in this, probably quite significantly. It's just awaiting the package from the government now and agreeing a common stance with the US.
    The City used as a weapon against Russia having profited so much from Russia - this has an irony which appeals. Watching that space with great interest.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

BREAKING: In a video conference call last night Ukraine President Zelensky told EU leaders: "This might be the last time you see me alive", two sources briefed on the call told me

https://twitter.com/barakravid/status/1497214423756197889?s=21

Truly a courageous individual.
    Note also that the mayor of Kyiv, Vitali Klitschko, has picked up a gun and will fight to defend his capital, as have many of the Ukraine cabinet.
    They truly value their democracy.
    Not even merely democracy. If there were any illusions about the contempt their 'brother' Putin in Russia feels for their very existence, they are gone now.
    Not sure why yesterday Boris said "fellow slavs". Has he not heard of Russo-Polish relations, or Serbs v. Croats?
    Since as DixieDean notes part of Putin's justification is that the two are really one people. Which makes no sense since he wants to both save the 'proper' Russians there but also that the Ukrainians are really Russian too, who need to be attacked.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

I would give Putin some credit if he could deliver a line like that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: I have been given a copy of document issued today by Russian Ministry of Health. It indicates Russia is anticipating a massive medical emergency & has ordered health organisations to immediately identify medical staff ready to relocate & work. https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1497252061678813187/photo/1

The document includes list including "paediatric surgeons".

So I'm not sure this is for doctors to go and help wounded RU soldiers?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Today at 10:30 am at the entrances to Chernihiv, Hostomel and Melitopol there were heavy fighting. People died. Next time I'll try to move the war schedule to talk to #MarioDraghi at a specific time. Meanwhile, Ukraine continues to fight for its people.

Can we get Zelenskiy a safe seat and make him PM?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

The head of the German Intelligence Agency had to be evacuated from Ukraine. Apparently he didn't believe an invasion would happen...

https://www.focus.de/politik/ausland/ukraine-krise/praesident-des-bundesnachrichtendienstes-wurde-aus-hoechster-not-aus-der-ukraine-gerettet_id_59192174.html

I would see the presence of German intelligence in Kiev as good news for Ukraine, all in all. It suggests some kind of assistance.
    Why does the phrase with friends like these come to mind?
    Because the British right-wing is scratching its anti-German itch this week? Germany cancelled Nord Stream 2 while the UK won't cancel Hilary Term at Eton. Course, the UK sent more material assistance to Ukraine, but instead of agreeing to unite some people want to pretend to be better in every way.
    No you fuckwit we just recognise when some Governments are acting as barriers to a unified approach. Just like Germany is right now.

And Germany only agreed to suspend Nord Stream 2 because they had already been told by the Americans that if they didn't the US would find a more permanent way of shutting it down.
    And if we look from what is happening, the disordered approach, to why, the why is each part of what could be a unified approach have allowed themselves to be exposed in different ways. Energy pipeline for example, Greek and Austrian banks.

Having said that though, I disagree with myself, even where US are exposed, it hasn’t stopped them being braver than UK and EU in past sanctions, and I suspect here too.

When we say banks are exposed, Greece, Austria, does that mean Russians have debts in the banks banks worry about writing off? Could they be helped with that, rather them be a blocker to the unified approach?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: I have been given a copy of document issued today by Russian Ministry of Health. It indicates Russia is anticipating a massive medical emergency & has ordered health organisations to immediately identify medical staff ready to relocate & work. https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1497252061678813187/photo/1

if you can operate on kids, you can operate on adults?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

Obviously the Ukrainian invasion wouldn't have happened with a strongman in the White House. A tyrant like Putin against Joe Biden well what a fuck up. For many on then Left that opposed Trump this is life coming at you fast.

Eh? Trump would have celebrated fellow 'strongman' genius and done absolutely nothing to block him.

He'd probably be trying to send weapons and ammo to Vlad to help him on his way.

So why didn't he make his move then? The same reason he took Crimea when he did the opportunity presented itself thanks to another weak man leader in the WH.
    Well Putin had his own man in the WH between January 2017 and January 2021.

Lord Wakefield? Was the Lord HawHaw avatar already taken?
    It would be entirely plausible that Putin was waiting to see if Trump was going to cripple NATO from the inside & do his work for him. Once Trump lost the election & the follow-up coup attempt it was on to the next plan, which turns out to be “invade Ukraine”.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    Zemmour: "We must absolutely reassure the Russians on Ukraine which, for them, is a Russian country."

That's the end of his hopes of getting into the second round.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

if you can operate on kids, you can operate on adults?
    If your plan looks like this, maybe you expect lots of injured children?

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    The whole idea of taking Kiev, and some other cities further north, especially from the beginning, isn't the work of a fully functioning strategic mind, I think, and as mentioned yesterday. He could have so much more easily worked to hold and expand the eastern areas, and then formed a land corridor all the way along the coast , working to cover all the most important strategic areas along the way.

It's the sort of decision you would make in his position if surrounded by yes men, isolated, and not in the best mental condition, it very much looks to me.
  • Options
    Had a thought.

The generalised money grubbing attitude of Conservative politicians ** towards various oligarchs (not just Russian ones) has an echo in PB's own HYUFD's obsession with inheritance.

Its almost a reversal of the 'money earned through honest toil' mentality.

That money acquired through genuine work and business is somehow less worthy than money acquired without it.

** I know there are plenty of others involved among UK politicians and the establishment generally.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,072
    All assets belonging to President Putin and Sergey Lavrov, his foreign minister, are to be frozen under new European Union sanctions https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-freezes-putins-assets-as-west-draws-up-third-round-of-sanctions-gj2h58ml3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1645809279
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If they’re now expecting a more protracted war in Ukraine then they’ll have to provide medical support to the people in the occupied territories.
  • Options

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

The head of the German Intelligence Agency had to be evacuated from Ukraine. Apparently he didn't believe an invasion would happen...

https://www.focus.de/politik/ausland/ukraine-krise/praesident-des-bundesnachrichtendienstes-wurde-aus-hoechster-not-aus-der-ukraine-gerettet_id_59192174.html

I would see the presence of German intelligence in Kiev as good news for Ukraine, all in all. It suggests some kind of assistance.
    Because the British right-wing is scratching its anti-German itch this week? Germany cancelled Nord Stream 2 while the UK won't cancel Hilary Term at Eton. Course, the UK sent more material assistance to Ukraine, but instead of agreeing to unite some people want to pretend to be better in every way.
    No you fuckwit we just recognise when some Governments are acting as barriers to a unified approach. Just like Germany is right now.

And Germany only agreed to suspend Nord Stream 2 because they had already been told by the Americans that if they didn't the US would find a more permanent way of shutting it down.
    And if we look from what is happening, the disordered approach, to why, the why is each part of what could be a unified approach have allowed themselves to be exposed in different ways. Energy pipeline for example, Greek and Austrian banks.

Having said that though, I disagree with myself, even where US are exposed, it hasn’t stopped them being braver than UK and EU in past sanctions, and I suspect here too.

When we say banks are exposed, Greece, Austria, does that mean Russians have debts in the banks they worry about writing off? Could they be helped with that, rather them be a blocker to the unified approach?
    How long would it take for the EU to decide where they were going to have the meeting at which they might, sometime in the foreseeable future, vote upon a unified, watered-down approach to Russia's aggression to a defeated Ukraine?

A month? Three months?

Sadly, this sort of crisis (and Covid) shows where the EU's centralised approach fails. It can be good in some situations. In others, it is disastrous.
  • Options
    Anyone else noticed that New Zealand has lost control of Omicron ?

With over 12k new infections yesterday compared with under 2k a week before.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/
  • Options
    Map on Wikipedia - not sure how accurate it is:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,083
    edited February 2022

HYUFD said:

No we don't, and no we don't.

Needing to make tanks and sell them to Poland and the Baltic States though, is a different matter.
    Every European NATO nation needs more tanks, including us, Poland and the Baltics. It is not a matter of one nation producing them for the other, they all need to produce more of them and send them to NATO nations in Eastern Europe supported by fighter jets
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

More likely it's just dawned on them a lot of Ukrainian civilians will be hit if they keep invading and the resistance holds up, which would look bad on their propaganda images.

Or maybe it's even a treble bluff. 'Look, it's not our fault , it's yours for fighting, so we'll try and help the children you've wounded by fighting in the war we started.'
  • Options

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

My body clock is now set to the Malmesbury Monoliths, I see them and pour my first gin.

Surely traditionalists wouldn’t never want them to stop? If covid stops, just repeat favourite batches of monoliths like the BBC does with comedy.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Anyone else noticed that New Zealand has lost control of Omicron ?

With over 12k new infections yesterday compared with under 2k a week before.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/new-zealand/

Was expected, though.
    See Singapore’s experience for an analogy.

The government is rapidly liberalising the various COVID restrictions.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,083

My body clock is now set to the Malmesbury Monoliths, I see them and pour my first gin.

Surely traditionalists wouldn’t never want them to stop? If covid stops, just repeat favourite batches of monoliths like the BBC does with comedy.
    Even if we have all been killed in a nuclear holocaust he will still be posting them I expect from a bunker, even though post vaccination and the end of restrictions they are almost as irrelevant now
  • Options

Each day, do a graph for how each area's figures changed over time. ;)
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Andy_JS said:

"Володимир Зеленський
    @ZelenskyyUa

Can we get Zelenskiy a safe seat and make him PM?
    No, but if Kyiv falls and he manages to escape then we can offer him and his government somewhere to hide out for a while.

I imagine that Roman Abramovich's London mansion would make quite an acceptable presidential palace until enough Russians have been butchered in the field to persuade them to give up fighting.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

When we say banks are exposed, Greece, Austria, does that mean Russians have debts in the banks they worry about writing off? Could they be helped with that, rather them be a blocker to the unified approach?
    How long would it take for the EU to decide where they were going to have the meeting at which they might, sometime in the foreseeable future, vote upon a unified, watered-down approach to Russia's aggression to a defeated Ukraine?

A month? Three months?

Sadly, this sort of crisis (and Covid) shows where the EU's centralised approach fails. It can be good in some situations. In others, it is disastrous.
    They are meeting literally every day and new sanctions have been announced on each day of the war so far, with more likely tomorrow. Furthermore each country is free to go further and take radical further action, as Germany did.
  • Options

@JimmySecUK·12m
    Dublin, Ireland. Angry crowd harasses a car carrying the Russian ambassador as it tries to enter the Embassy.

Ireland, I am proud of you.❤️🇮🇪
    https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1497259463597826050

We need to see more of this, in capitals across the democratic world.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Has Nordstream2 been 'cancelled'? If not, how long would it take to reverse the decision?

I wonder if Putin is betting on any sanctions being very short-lived once he wins and the world has to deal with the new reality.

Sending (say) anti-tank and other weapons are pretty irreversible.

The purpose of sanctions would be to punish Russian elites and hurt investment in the medium term in the hope that someone sane replaces Putin. Not to win a war against a madman who has already set his own young men on a road to death. Everything announced so far is sustainable for 10+ years, which is good.
    From Putin's point of view, what hurts him are sanctions that cannot easily be reversed. If NS2's cancellation can be reversed in a day, then he wouldn't be too worried about it. All he needs to do is bribe the correct German politician.
  • Options
    interesting view that this war has been cooked up on wall street and in the city of london

https://twitter.com/VigilantFox/status/1497031347042459648?s=20&t=aQZwT7pvXsbvIXuYZEIJjQ
  • Options

@JimmySecUK·12m
    Dublin, Ireland. Angry crowd harasses a car carrying the Russian ambassador as it tries to enter the Embassy.

We need to see more of this, in capitals across the democratic world.
    So long as it remains just protests that they find aggravating, then all the good for it . Don't want any hint of diplomats getting attacked.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

interesting view that this war has been cooked up on wall street and in the city of london

https://twitter.com/VigilantFox/status/1497031347042459648?s=20&t=aQZwT7pvXsbvIXuYZEIJjQ

Interesting is not the word I'd choose.
  • Options
    Zelensky posts a video showing him and his top allies in the Kyiv government district.

“We’re defending our independence and our country, and that’s how it’ll be.”

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497258504784072708?s=21
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

Completely deluded would be closer to the mark.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Stopping russian government bond sales in London and NY would be interesting. Investors want to buy them in London or NY because of legal protections and the ability of the courts to pass and enforce judgements against state actors. It could genuinely cripple the Russian state because no sensible investors would buy Russian government bonds sold under Russian or even EU law.

Why has it not happened? Too expensive for London and NY? Hmmm… Swift…

Germans = bad
    London = good
    I think it needs to be coordinated with the US and probably needs quite a lot of legal checking.

The City has been briefed that we're going to get caught up in this, probably quite significantly. It's just awaiting the package from the government now and agreeing a common stance with the US.
    The City used as a weapon against Russia having profited so much from Russia - this has an irony which appeals. Watching that space with great interest.
    I really don't want to have a go at London generally about this (really I don't) but it does appear that the people making money from various oligarchs do seem to be very central London based.

Though on the other hand there must be plenty of rich Londoners who would be happy to see the back of the oligarchs if only to reduced the price of Mayfair mansions.

The whole oligarch issue really must be something which is more ultra localised than almost anything else relating to the UK economy and society.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Scott_xP said:

If they’re now expecting a more protracted war in Ukraine then they’ll have to provide medical support to the people in the occupied territories.
    Alternatively, a paediatric surgeon is also a general surgeon.
  • Options

Phil said:

Scott_xP said:

Alternatively, a paediatric surgeon is also a general surgeon.
    From when our little 'un is born, a paediatric nurse is well used to lots of blood and stitching...
  • Options
    FWIW Dow jones index up 800 points now
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe Ukraine did have some of those missing suitcase bomb nukes after all.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    PJohnson said:

Some people are utterly deluded yet 35,000+ follow him...

While everything Mr Meeks said this morning is obvious, it's worth repeating how much damage social media does to those who use it as their sole source of news.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah
    Zemmour: "We must absolutely reassure the Russians on Ukraine which, for them, is a Russian country."

And perhaps the first round hopefully.
  • Options

The whole idea of taking Kiev, and some other cities further north, especially from the beginning, isn't the work of a fully functioning strategic mind, I think, and as mentioned yesterday. He could have so much more easily worked to hold and expand the eastern areas, and then formed a land corridor all the way along the coast , working to cover all the most important strategic areas along the way.

It's the sort of decision you would make in his position if surrounded by yes men, isolated, and not in the best mental condition, it very much looks to me.

Except that limited war aims don't allow you to rebuild the Russian Empire.

Connecting up your silly little satrapies in the south makes perfect sense if that's all you're interested in, but it also leaves the Ukrainian government in control of most of its territory, feeling frightened and enraged in equal measure, and busily constructing a huge army backed by Western money and equipped and trained to Western standards.

Putin has grabbed Ukraine now because he thinks he's entitled to grab it, because he feels a sense of historical destiny, and because he thinks he can get away with it. If he has been convinced by bad advisors, or by his own delusions, that this invasion is going to be a walk in the park for the mighty Russian army then I think he's going to be disabused of that notion, with potentially fatal personal consequences.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

Scott_xP said:

My fear would be that they're planning a false flag terrorist attack to try to get the Russian people behind the war.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah

By his logic, Gascony and Normandy belong to the UK, Provence to Italy, Alsace to Germany and Dijon to the Netherlands.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

My fear would be that they're planning a false flag terrorist attack to try to get the Russian people behind the war.
    Dmytro Kuleba
    @DmytroKuleba
    According to intelligence, Russia is planning a large-scale provocation in order to "dehumanize" Ukrainians, accusing Ukraine of alleged inhuman actions. Don't be fooled by fakes. Ukraine defends its land in a just defensive war. Unlike Russia, we do not target kindergartens and civilians.
    https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1497266285566173184
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Or preparing for Ukrainian counter-attack
  • Options
    by the way i dont think the rally in stocks has anything to do with Ukraine winning the war...
  • Options
    The little 'un just said:

"Instead of 'Vladimir Putin, why don't we call him 'Bladder-seer PooPoo" ?

I approve of this change.... ;)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    eek said:

PJohnson said:

While everything Mr Meeks said this morning is obvious, it's worth repeating how much damage social media does to those who use it as their sole source of news.
    35,000 accounts
    That's not the same as 35,000 people
  • Options
    I think it’s generally conceded that Putin’s “decapitation feint” has been unsuccessful, and hence he will need to revert to more traditional methods with a higher body count.

How long can he persist for?
    How long will the Ukrainians hold out?
    How long will the Russians put up with body bags?

Worryingly, I can’t see a feasible back-down track for Putin. He absolutely has to go “all-in” because the alternative is, what? being deposed?
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

FWIW Dow jones index up 800 points now

Thus recovering to approximately the same position as it was in two days ago.

Your stock market analysis is truly revelatory, Sergei.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The idea that the Ukrainians could counter attack to any significant extent is even madder than the idea that Sergei Lavrov is fit to be a diplomat.

The Russians still have a force somewhat greater than the entire Ukrainian army poised to invade that they haven't even committed yet.
  • Options

That makes me think that Shitcan might be a good name for him.

That's Vlad, not your son!
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

Side benefit of Brexit - one less Putinist mole at the EU emergency summit.

Germany's left the EU!?!?!?!!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Rumours that a SWIFT ban might be back on.

It has proved a hard thing to swallow....
  • Options

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

Given that its the end of winter how much would Germany use NS2 even if it was approved ?
  • Options

Are you privy to the necessary information?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    edited February 2022

I think it’s generally conceded that Putin’s “decapitation feint” has been unsuccessful, and hence he will need to revert to more traditional methods with a higher body count.

How long can he persist for?
    How long will the Ukrainians hold out?
    How long will the Russians put up with body bags?

Worryingly, I can’t see a feasible back-down track for Putin. He absolutely has to go “all-in” because the alternative is, what? being deposed?

To state the obvious the longer it takes for him to make progress the more chance there is of a palace coup in Moscow.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah

By his logic, Gascony and Normandy belong to the UK, Provence to Italy, Alsace to Germany and Dijon to the Netherlands.
    Gascony and Normandy? That's not very ambitious. I'd be going for a full restoration of the Angevin Empire myself.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

eek said:

PJohnson said:

35,000 accounts
    That's not the same as 35,000 people
    to be fair a lot of twitter accounts are bot accounts...however look at the number of followers paul joseph watson has...
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah

Gascony and Normandy? That's not very ambitious. I'd be going for a full restoration of the Angevin Empire myself.
    We wouldn't want Maine and Anjou. But Gascony's lovely and Normandy has much in common with the south of England.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    PJohnson said:

Ah, this is clearly some new meaning of the word 'interesting' that I was previously unaware of.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022

Scott_xP said:

Dmytro Kuleba
    @DmytroKuleba
    According to intelligence, Russia is planning a large-scale provocation in order to "dehumanize" Ukrainians, accusing Ukraine of alleged inhuman actions. Don't be fooled by fakes. Ukraine defends its land in a just defensive war. Unlike Russia, we do not target kindergartens and civilians.
    https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1497266285566173184
    That could have been what happened with his Chechen friends bombing the blocks of flats more than 20 years ago, and it could happen again. Potentially very worrying if true.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    PJohnson said:

by the way i dont think the rally in stocks has anything to do with Ukraine winning the war...

Cmon, get on with it, it's either going to be
    1. Jews
    2. The Deep State
    3. "I'm just asking questions", or
    4. Jews

Just skip to the bit where you say what you mean, then we can all go get dinner or whatever.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

How will this go down?

Ben Judah
    @b_judah

We wouldn't want Maine and Anjou. But Gascony's lovely and Normandy has much in common with the south of England.
    I think we should get the historic vineyards around Rheims back.
  • Options
    @DmytroKuleba
    Call with my Italian counterpart @luigidimaio. Full solidarity with Ukraine. My colleague assured me that Italy will support banning Russia fromSWIFT.

https://twitter.com/DmytroKuleba/status/1497267568461205509
  • Options

I changed the little 'un's nappies enough times; he was indeed a can of seemingly never-ending 'shit'. Fortunately he's got all of it out of his system now, and he's a wonderful child.

No-one evidently changed Putin's nappies, and he's still full of sh*t.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

Cmon, get on with it, it's either going to be
    1. Jews
    2. The Deep State
    3. "I'm just asking questions", or
    4. Jews

Just skip to the bit where you say what you mean, then we can all go get dinner or whatever.
    dunno maybe you can ask Putin...hes the one attacking a state with a jewish leader
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The idea that the Ukrainians could counter attack to any significant extent is even madder than the idea that Sergei Lavrov is fit to be a diplomat.

The Russians still have a force somewhat greater than the entire Ukrainian army poised to invade that they haven't even committed yet.
    So if not a counter attack, how would you describe the Battle of Grozny?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grozny_(1994–1995)

"The New Year's Eve battle was devastating for the Russians; the first Russian armored column lost 105 of their 120 tanks and armored personnel carriers.[21] The entire first battalion of the Maikop Brigade, more than half of the 81st Regiment plus hundreds of men from the remaining units, were dead. A high-ranking Russian General Staff officer said "On January 2nd, we lost contact with our forward units." According to Maskhadov, some 400 Russian tanks and APCs were destroyed.[22] Russian General A. Galkin reported 225 armored vehicles lost during the first month and a half of the invasion, including 62 tanks.[23]"
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Zelensky posts a video showing him and his top allies in the Kyiv government district.

“We’re defending our independence and our country, and that’s how it’ll be.”

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497258504784072708?s=21

He's going to become a folk hero and martyr
  • Options
    Ukraine is allegedly asking Israel to facilitate potential mediation with Russia.
  • Options

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

Given that its the end of winter how much would Germany use NS2 even if it was approved ?
    Vlad's chosen an odd time to invade: winds are strong across Europe and gas storage is near highs, just as domestic heating requirements are starting to drop.

This is a great chart showing current German electricity production by type: https://www.energy-charts.info/charts/power/chart.htm?l=en&c=DE&stacking=stacked_absolute_area

The Germans are only using 3GW of natural gas right now.

Back in the middle of winter, it might have 20GW.

The Russians chose a very odd time to invade.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Phil said:

Obviously the Ukrainian invasion wouldn't have happened with a strongman in the White House. A tyrant like Putin against Joe Biden well what a fuck up. For many on then Left that opposed Trump this is life coming at you fast.

You’re delusional.
    Sadly, lots of Trump fanboys are a sandwich short of a picnic. Bet Lord W is a bonafide QAnon believer as well
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971

@JimmySecUK·12m

Need one in London but instead of the embassy needs to be through the streets of Knightsbridge and Sloane St and snarl it up all day tomorrow and ruin their shopping - that will hurt them more than SWIFT ban.

Also US/UK/EU should be peppering the airwaves saying that the Russians plan a terrible false flag op in Russia to discredit the Ukrainians - hopefully it will either hold one off or at least if it happens then a chance of Russians not believing it was the Ukrainians.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

What should we do?

What strikes me is what we are asking of the Ukrainian, to fight alone in a war of survival, but with extra weaponry. In essence, we are asking them to make the war more brutal, more attritional, more bloody to deter Russia. Some of what we provide might help shield the civilians in cities, but on average the emphasis of our defence help is not immediately humanitarian in nature.

Whatever the rights, wrongs and realpolitic of the eastern expansion of NATO over the last 3 decades - too far, correct or not far enough, that, bluntly, is our ask, as allies, of the Ukrainian people.

So, when I turn to sanctions, narrow based sanctions on the Russian elites don't cut it. Our ask of our ordinary Ukranian friends is way more of our ask on ordinary Russians living on the other side of this war. Hit the elites hard, yes, definitely, but we should not shy from impact on ordinary Russians, nor indeed of some impact on ourselves.

There’s a lot of posts on here urging and willing the Ukrainians to fight on, and trying to paint it as a fight they are doing well in, which I think disguises this is, in truth and fact leading to something just as horrible and difficult to except as the end of the Prague Spring with that invasion.

Someone posted here other day, after Russia went into Czechoslovakia, over next ten years they pilfered it.

At the crunch the Western world did not stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine this time. The dream of poor Ukrainians being in EU and getting wealthier and having nice things like western everyday people is over now, for time being, more days of terror and war in their country (not ours) won’t change that at all. In fact brilliant people like Zelenskiy and Klitchko and others we don’t even know their name might die.

I don’t feel as gung ho as PB today. It suddenly seems pointless to me. Is this anti Russian bloodlust just trying to hide the guilt? Carry on calling me a traitor and surrender monkey if you want, I would rather wake up tomorrow to a ceasefire and Zelenskiy in Minsk talking with Putin, than wake up to find it still going on.
  • Options
    @AliBunkallSKY
    UKRAINE: fear amongst western officials now is that Russia will start bombing Ukrainians indiscriminately and even with thermobaric weapons, if their progress continues to be impeded.

https://twitter.com/AliBunkallSKY/status/1497265699324055552
  • Options
    boulay said:

@JimmySecUK·12m

Need one in London but instead of the embassy needs to be through the streets of Knightsbridge and Sloane St and snarl it up all day tomorrow and ruin their shopping - that will hurt them more than SWIFT ban.

Also US/UK/EU should be peppering the airwaves saying that the Russians plan a terrible false flag op in Russia to discredit the Ukrainians - hopefully it will either hold one off or at least if it happens then a chance of Russians not believing it was the Ukrainians.
    Cutting up their credit cards in Harrods and Selfridges would be embarrassing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

"The New Year's Eve battle was devastating for the Russians; the first Russian armored column lost 105 of their 120 tanks and armored personnel carriers.[21] The entire first battalion of the Maikop Brigade, more than half of the 81st Regiment plus hundreds of men from the remaining units, were dead. A high-ranking Russian General Staff officer said "On January 2nd, we lost contact with our forward units." According to Maskhadov, some 400 Russian tanks and APCs were destroyed.[22] Russian General A. Galkin reported 225 armored vehicles lost during the first month and a half of the invasion, including 62 tanks.[23]"
    A tactical counter attack, not a strategic one, possibly?

Certainly Ukraine won't be pushing into the Crimea or something. But it *might* be able to push back some Russian units, in some places.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

DavidL said:

EPG said:

Vlad's chosen an odd time to invade: winds are strong across Europe and gas storage is near highs, just as domestic heating requirements are starting to drop.

This is a great chart showing current German electricity production by type: https://www.energy-charts.info/charts/power/chart.htm?l=en&c=DE&stacking=stacked_absolute_area

The Germans are only using 3GW of natural gas right now.

Back in the middle of winter, it might have 20GW.

The Russians chose a very odd time to invade.
    I reckon the Chinese asked them to avoid the Olympics. Would partially explain the Chinese words after the invasion.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

EPG said:

Has Nordstream2 been 'cancelled'? If not, how long would it take to reverse the decision?

I wonder if Putin is betting on any sanctions being very short-lived once he wins and the world has to deal with the new reality.

Sending (say) anti-tank and other weapons are pretty irreversible.

The purpose of sanctions would be to punish Russian elites and hurt investment in the medium term in the hope that someone sane replaces Putin. Not to win a war against a madman who has already set his own young men on a road to death. Everything announced so far is sustainable for 10+ years, which is good.
    From Putin's point of view, what hurts him are sanctions that cannot easily be reversed. If NS2's cancellation can be reversed in a day, then he wouldn't be too worried about it. All he needs to do is bribe the correct German politician.
    Any sanction can be easily reversed that way.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Phil said:

You’re delusional.
    Sadly, lots of Trump fanboys are a sandwich short of a picnic. Bet Lord W is a bonafide QAnon believer as well
    Most of the Trump fanboys are a picnic short of a picnic.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

A Chechen defeat, with a handful of ripostes that did not allow them to counter attack to any significant extent.
This discussion has been closed.