Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters increasingly think Johnson’s days are numbered – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,764
edited February 2022 in General
imagePunters increasingly think Johnson’s days are numbered – politicalbetting.com

As we near the end of another extraordinary political day with key resignations from Number 10 it really looks as though time is running out for Johnson. It appears a mess because clearly, it is a mess.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First unlike Boris
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,448
    Not really, we wait for Sir Graham Brady failing to announce anything because he still hasn't received 54 letters.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,763
    I find it amazing that the odds of him leaving by April aren't much higher. I reckon it should be about evens at this stage.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    edited February 2022

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Completely off-topic, but I know there are some NFL fans on here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/03/nfl-tanking-allegations-owner-payments-brian-flores-hue-jackson

The NFL currently has just one Black head coach in Mike Tomlin. One, despite 70% of NFL players being Black.

This argument annoys me in soccer, but it seriously boils my piss with American football. Here are the NFL head coaches:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_head_coaches

Of the 27 head coaches (there are five vacancies), only four had significant NFL careers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rivera
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Vrabel
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Campbell

The rest started coaching soon after leaving school/college. Indeed, the one black head coach - Mike Tomlin - did precisely that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin

If race is an issue, it's no good looking at the NFL. It's far too late. The place to look is high schools and colleges.

I know this was not the main point, but 70% of players are black? That seems amazingly high.
    At the dawn of professional football in America, there were disproportionate numbers of men from immigrant, working-class backgrounds. Why? Because it was a way that a kid with little education and fewer prospects BUT with exceptional athletic talent could rise in the world. PROVIDED they could cope with the grueling physical and other demands.

In the past half-century or so, starting with the desegregation of professional sport in the USA, this imperative has shifted, away from Whites from non-WASP backgrounds, to Blacks (and also Latinos) who come from similar hard-scramble origins.
    What has been true in the NFL, which has changed some what over the past 10 years, but some suggestion still an issue (of all the leagues in US sports, the head coaches in particular have been slower than other sports to embrace the data driven approach) is that there is an issue of some racial stereotyping in relation to positions has also been going on.

QB / Tight End - White
    RB / Wide Receivers - Black

Should be noted that currently best QB is black and the best WR is white.
    At the African Cup of Nations, the only white people on view are the coaches and managers. Not for all teams.
    I am not sure your point?
    Just that it isn't just a Gridiron issue.
    I am still not sure of your point. We were talking about a racial profile for dedicated positions in the game. African nations choosing a white coach, its because most international teams are looking to hire somebody with a fantastic excellent track record coaching in the top leagues e.g. Egypt has Carlos Queiroz, ex Portugal (and a load of other international teams and of course Man Utd assistant.

Its why England hired a load of foreign managers.
    This is how the conversation started:

The NFL currently has just one Black head coach in Mike Tomlin. One, despite 70% of NFL players being Black.

There are now a few black coaches and managers in the EPL, but still quite unusual considering the number of black players. Few black match officials either.

Quite why black players don't get into management positions is something that I notice but cannot explain.
    And as stated, the idea of you were a pro then you become a coach / manager is going out of the window, especially with highly technique analytical games like NFL. Its a totally different skillset and one you need to develop instead of playing for 10-15 years.
    So why aren't black people following that route?

It sounds as if the issue is upstream, if a seperate stream gets deviated into coaching at college or high school level. Perhaps something similar for association football.
    On ESPN (which I listen to sometimes in the wee hours as partial cure for insomnia) consensus seems to be, that critical factor is that owners of NFL teams want "people who look like them" and who they feel comfortable with, for these top jobs, which in many if not most cases put the head coach in close proximity with team owners.

Think that point you've made re: separation of coaching from playing tracks, which in US football mostly occurs at college level (natural starting point for pro players and coaches) may also be a factor. Though still plenty of Black coaches in NCAA & NFL . . . just NOT at top of the pyramid.

Note that many of the predominately White sports journos on ESPN and etc. on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) commenting on the Brian Flores lawsuit versus NFL are obviously pretty conservative in their politics. Yet nearly all of the ones I hear on the radio are siding with him, based on what they know personally as former players and/or experienced reporters.

Two things stand out regarding Flores lawsuit:
    > he is asking the courts for broad injunctive relief NOT personal monetary settlement.
    > his accusation that he was offered bribe by Miami Dolphins owner to tank his own team has truly lit a raging fire under the ass of every half-serious football player AND fan in the USA.
    The issue of poor performance rewarded with guarantee of first pick just opens itself to bent practices. It has to be a lottery among the worst x teams, especially in a game where there one position is so much more important than the rest e.g Bengals were a nothing team year after year before they got Borrow pick.

Literally that one pick working out catapults them from nobodies to potential winners.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

eek said:

As we are doing tech stuff (so scared everyone else away)

Corey Quinn
    @QuinnyPig
    Wild that @awscloud is now a $70 billion annual run rate business. But don't worry, AWS employee friends; the market cares not a whit how well you perform your jobs.

GCP is approaching $20bn ARR from a standing stars a few years ago. It's incredible how much the big three have come to dominate cloud services so totally.
    It always make me chuckle when people say Google Cloud is losing, how many businesses ever grow as fast as that? Basically none.
    Indeed, one of the group subsidiaries is on a complete AWS stack right now and it's been interesting watching from a distance as AWS are giving gigantic discounts to hold on to them now that the rest of the company has started the big shift over to GCP. I was shocked as to how much more money GCP is compared to AWS, yet GCP keeps on trucking and growing.
    PythonAnywhere is built on AWS. (And hosts hundreds of thousands of concurrent python apps.)
    But only if they're smaller than 6mb!
    Actually the PythonAnywhere architecture is pretty amazing, they have hundreds of virtual servers running at AWS that automatically scale up and down according to traffic and demand for processing power.

Your web app can be shifted from one server to another with only a few milliseconds of unresponsiveness.
    It was just my snarky reference to the idiotic lambda function size limitation, it sounds like a great idea, though very similar to what GCP does natively with cloud data lab.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Yay - thanks for new thread Mike.

Anyone know if Sky are going to cover the by-election yet?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,781
    Interesting that 2023 is regarded as so unlikely. Assumption if he makes it past May he is set until the next election, and he will wait as long as possible for that?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,904
    Mirza's letter appears to be key - sign of how bad things are that she needed to control the narrative and not get bundled into No10 version of events.

Story w/@alexwickham @e_casalicchio @EleniCourea

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1489358062695727107
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,999
    All our days are 'numbered.' It's what they're numbered to that counts.

In Johnson's case, it's looking like days rather than weeks, but they've still been far too slow to act. He should have been ousted the day after North Shropshire declared.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,787
    edited February 2022
    My favourite last line of a header, the portentous: And now we wait for Southend West.

How sad are we all - nobody ever had a life waiting for Southend West.
  • Options
    More to come?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Mirza's letter appears to be key - sign of how bad things are that she needed to control the narrative and not get bundled into No10 version of events.

She has worked for the clown for years. It is a bit late to be developing a conscience...
  • Options
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,046
    Dead man walking
  • Options

Let's face it, that conclusion doesn;t come as a surprise.

Scott_xP said:

She has worked for the clown for years. It is a bit late to be developing a conscience...
    Never too late for redemption.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,999

Dead man walking

Well, hobbling anyway.
  • Options
    I wonder if in Southend West there had been a "RON" option how that would have turned out today?
  • Options
    Now Chancellor Rishi Sunak takes a swing on Partygate and what would happen on "his watch"...

"We have always been the party of sound money — we will always continue to be on my watch — and that is the only kind of party I am interested in."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17540391/cost-of-living-rishi-sunak/
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I find it amazing that the odds of him leaving by April aren't much higher. I reckon it should be about evens at this stage.

Bear in mind the MPs who have to make the call don't get to just choose someone sane to replace him.

They'd have two candidates, one of whom would be chosen by the madest 1/3 or less of MP, and the choice would be made by people who are still members of the Conservative Party.

They could end up with JRM.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,834
    I think the most likely outcome is that he survives the vote of confidence (if we get that far) and he and goes on for another year. If they are struggling to get 54 letters in how are they going to get 100+ more MPs to vote to remove him? When will be the 'right' time? He will just limp on.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

I wonder if in Southend West there had been a "RON" option how that would have turned out today?

Re-Open Nominations newbies.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,046
    edited February 2022
    darkage said:

I think the most likely outcome is that he survives the vote of confidence (if we get that far) and he and goes on for another year. If they are struggling to get 54 letters in how are they going to get 100+ more MPs to vote to remove him? When will be the 'right' time? He will just limp on.

It’s a secret ballot.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,388
    Scott_xP said:

Now Chancellor Rishi Sunak takes a swing on Partygate and what would happen on "his watch"...

"We have always been the party of sound money — we will always continue to be on my watch — and that is the only kind of party I am interested in."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17540391/cost-of-living-rishi-sunak/

Just resign already.

This is like getting a dodgy mole. Don't fuck about, get the biopsy done.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,356
    MrBristol said:

Since it's technology night tonight on PB, what's the best platform for a very rusty old coder with a smattering of C and Java to have a crack at developing IOS and Android apps?

Is there one platform/language that can cover both?

Just fancy having a go at a couple of 'winter project' ideas.

If you want something cross-platform, look at Flutter.

It uses a language called Dart (basically a dialect of JavaScript) and it has the heft of Google behind it. You can trivially build for iOS and Android, and it'll even build Progressive Web Apps if you like.

I don't use it for anything that needs to get close to the metal, but for reasonably unambitious apps it's pretty good.
    I can give a thumbs up for flutter if you after quick mobile apps (not tried the desktop stuff yet).

Much easier to get stuff done that objective-c/swift or java/kotlin. The main thing I like he having something works on iOS and Android without too much bother. Something quite depressing about implementing the same thing twice on two different platforms :)

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Thanks All - I might give Flutter a flutter.

I've got this fantastic idea for a simple word game - five letters, six guesses, a new word every day,...

Oh...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Without disparaging motives, methinks this well-timed resignation is less personal conscience than political calculation.

The second NOT precluding the first, mind you.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Yeah, sadly that seems most likely to me too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    edited February 2022

MrBristol said:

Since it's technology night tonight on PB, what's the best platform for a very rusty old coder with a smattering of C and Java to have a crack at developing IOS and Android apps?

It uses a language called Dart (basically a dialect of JavaScript) and it has the heft of Google behind it. You can trivially build for iOS and Android, and it'll even build Progressive Web Apps if you like.

I don't use it for anything that needs to get close to the metal, but for reasonably unambitious apps it's pretty good.
    I can give a thumbs up for flutter if you after quick mobile apps (not tried the desktop stuff yet).

Much easier to get stuff done that objective-c/swift or java/kotlin. The main thing I like he having something works on iOS and Android without too much bother. Something quite depressing about implementing the same thing twice on two different platforms :)

MrB
    FPT just to say:

I've got this fantastic idea for a simple word game - five letters, six guesses, a new word every day,...

Oh...
    Sounds rubbish, will never catch on. Did I say I got today's Wordle in 2.....
  • Options
    Four of Johnson's aides have now gone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60253231
  • Options

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

https://nerdlegame.com

I quite like it. Should be right up the PB Coding Club's street.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    You could do a phonetic version. I don't think I've heard of that one yet.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,373

My favourite last line of a header, the portentous: And now we wait for Southend West.

I can't think of Southend without thinking of this superb site, the Southend News Network:

https://m.facebook.com/southendnewsnetwork

In particular, this scoop of theirs later picked up by the national media:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/edl-falls-for-story-on-hot-cross-buns-without-crosses-published-on-spoof-news-site-southend-news-network-a6917276.html
  • Options

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    Yes, but there seems an assumption that once the trigger is pulled a majority will go for it, on the basis of them being 'hostile' or whatever, but look what happened with May - sure, she went eventually, but the threshold being reached didn't mean a majority rose up when given the chance.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Without disparaging motives, methinks this well-timed resignation is less personal conscience than political calculation.

The second NOT precluding the first, mind you.
    All the more powerful an indicater if it is more about calculation.;
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

Got my first 5 today after starting with three straight 6s. It's fun.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    Yes, but there seems an assumption that once the trigger is pulled a majority will go for it, on the basis of them being 'hostile' or whatever, but look what happened with May - sure, she went eventually, but the threshold being reached didn't mean a majority rose up when given the chance.
    She probably had fewer enemies than Boris.
  • Options

How long before Carrie is appointed Communications Director?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

Started with a 5. Should have been a 4 but I made a schoolboy error. I reckon a 3 is going to be really tough
  • Options
    It's still a bit banana era David Miliband. Flirting a little, not pulling the trigger.
    https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1489363815829487622
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1489360119326461953
  • Options
    MAIL: Meltdown in Downing Street #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1489363139783184396/photo/1
  • Options
    Question: How much sex do they really get in Southend of Essex? (West or East?)

Likely NOT quite as much as when Tom Driberg was MP for Maldon . . .
  • Options
    Anything less than 10000 votes tonight will be a 'bad' result for the Tories IMO.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,725

Cookie said:

Bear in mind the MPs who have to make the call don't get to just choose someone sane to replace him.

They'd have two candidates, one of whom would be chosen by the madest 1/3 or less of MP, and the choice would be made by people who are still members of the Conservative Party.

They could end up with JRM.
    No, they couldn’t
  • Options

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    I've said before that there is a deep fear on the part of the PCP of replacing him - because their survival as a party is down to what he achieved in 2019. The appeal of Truss and Sunak is pretty shallow, are they really going to win in the red wall?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,708
    Spot on, Mike
  • Options

How long before Carrie is appointed Communications Director?
    TBH it sounds like a times she was policy and comms director....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,585

Anything less than 10000 votes tonight will be a 'bad' result for the Tories IMO.

They would be lucky to get 10,000 voters in total turning out, let alone all of them voting Tory
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    I've said before that there is a deep fear on the part of the PCP of replacing him - because their survival as a party is down to what he achieved in 2019. The appeal of Truss and Sunak is pretty shallow, are they really going to win in the red wall?
    Is anybody?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 958
    darkage said:

I think you're probably right, but maybe it'll concentrate minds knowing that if he wins he's much harder to shift for a whole year? Rules out the "delay just a month or two until after the locals/until my preferred replacement is in a better position/in the hope things get better" default option they all have right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This is really bad.

Takes me back to Black Wednesday which basically finished the Conservatives for a generation.

They should have removed him weeks ago. It may now be too late to save the brand.

• Options

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    Is anybody?
    Well Boris did, and potentially could do so again.
  • Options
    This is exciting! Awaiting both results from Southend West AND package from Land's End!

OR is it the other way around!?!?
  • Options
    Austria's parliament approves COVID-19 vaccine mandate for adults, with fines up to €3,600 ($4,117) for non-compliance
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

Started with a 5. Should have been a 4 but I made a schoolboy error. I reckon a 3 is going to be really tough
    I've played 7 times.

6 first time
    5 second time
    4 third time
    followed by 3 four times in a row. I honestly find it really easy to picture the right word.

I don't think this game is about intelligence or vocabulary. It's about picture thinking. Well, that is a kind of intelligence but just one kind.

(Edit sorry I'm referring to Wordle)
  • Options
    Probably the only "one" at that....

One @10DowningStreet insider tells me the departures of Reynolds, Rosenfield & Doyle are a “deliberate distraction” to divert attention from Mirza’s principled decision over another @BorisJohnson unforced error. Mirza wasn't implicated in “partygate” after all

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1489365313732890632?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,317
    edited February 2022

Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

Got a 3 today.
    Gutted that my streak ended at 5. Forgot to do it yesterday...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,725
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    But it’s academic if his reputation is trashed, and the purported electoral magic along with it (noting that many experts credit the win to Corbyn and the Brexit message rather than the clown’s juggling per se). It the becomes a question of best of the rest.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

I've played 7 times.

6 first time
    5 second time
    4 third time
    followed by 3 four times in a row. I honestly find it really easy to picture the right word.

I don't think this game is about intelligence or vocabulary. It's about picture thinking. Well, that is a kind of intelligence but just one kind.
    I'm talking about Nerdle not Wordle. Givie it a try: https://nerdlegame.com
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

This is really bad.

Takes me back to Black Wednesday which basically finished the Conservatives for a generation.

They should have removed him weeks ago. It may now be too late to save the brand.

It was not Black Wednesday that finished the Tories for a generation, although it was a factor.

More Blair and New Labour being a credible centrist government and the fact the Tories had been in power for over 13 years by that time so the electoral cycle inevitably turned the other way.

If Starmer becomes PM and is crap at it the Tories will quickly go back ahead in the polls regardless of whether the Tories remove Boris now or not
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,787
    Tory MPs are being stupid in not wielding the knife. The thing is, even if Boris gets through the Mirza/Saville thing and the rest of this week, we just know that there'll be more coming next week, and the week after that. It won't stop now, he's doomed I think.

To paraphrase and misquote, if 'twere done, may as well do it quickly.
  • Options
    Did Sunak really 'knife' Boris? Feels like the press are more just trying to force a confrontation by making the question why hasn't Sunak been sacked for plotting.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,989
    HYUFD said:

They would be lucky to get 10,000 voters in total turning out, let alone all of them voting Tory
    HYUFD said:

Managing expectations already.. nice
  • Options
    Downing Street source: "There’s meant to be an all-staff meeting tomorrow. Assuming there are still any staff."

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1489326498435805185?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA
  • Options
    This is a very interesting thread.

https://twitter.com/BosonHiccup/status/1489365212901822465?s=20&t=OX_9dbw-5AQY4gBH0MuxNg

It's all so bloody incestuous isn't it?
  • Options
    Sunak truly is a conservative. He has looked at this and thought "what if I go too early?" - at risk his political career.

But now? If he *doesn't* go his career is done - he will be swept away with the boss. Sunak has said "I woudn't have said that" - so do something about it. BJ's decade plus adviser quitting and attacking the disgrace of the man is not him sweeping clean as is being spun.

The cost of living disaster. The NornIron disaster. The trade disaster. All need a new PM with the ability to John Major away the rank stupidity of the previous PM. But unless it happens quickly it will be too late.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    No one will know until they try.

Much of the area was trending toward the Tories for a long time anyway. It's possible that may reverse, but hard evidence is hard to come by, but even if others wont appeal to them as well as Boris did (but may not be appealing now), simply not repelling them now might save a lot of seats, and save a majority.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

darkage said:

I think you're probably right, but maybe it'll concentrate minds knowing that if he wins he's much harder to shift for a whole year? Rules out the "delay just a month or two until after the locals/until my preferred replacement is in a better position/in the hope things get better" default option they all have right now.
    Yeah maybe. But there are a lot of people who are uncertain. As partygate dies down, how are they going to be convinced? To my mind, partygate was as bad as it can get. They seem to be relying on more mistakes and poll calamities. But are we really going to see that? Seems to me like they are more likely to gravitate back to the status quo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This is really bad.

It was not Black Wednesday that finished the Tories for a generation, although it was a factor.
    Wrong.

They lost the key indicator of trust on the economy. That finished them.

The irony of that is that the ejection from the ERM actually in due course paved the way for the boom years from which Blair profited.

But the tories never recovered from Black Wednesday.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.
    Is anybody?
    Well Boris did, and potentially could do so again.
    You think he could sell them a pup twice?
  • Options
    This is the end now.

He's gone.

• Options
    Boris on Channel 5 News not apologising - "all I have said" followed by a lengthy lie about what he said - twice - and that smirk again...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

This is really bad.

We can always hope ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This is really bad.

It was not Black Wednesday

More Blair
    Tony Blair didn't become Labour leader until 2 years after Black Wednesday.

As they sing on the terraces, 'if y'know your history ...'
  • Options
    I'm confused why the story is so big it needs covering on pages 1,2,4,5, but not page 3. I don't know what the Sun puts on page 3 now.
  • Options

Downing Street source: "There’s meant to be an all-staff meeting tomorrow. Assuming there are still any staff."

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1489326498435805185?s=20&t=eGUeRvVYIzcHj2P1uJ1aQA

Just Dilyn and Larry probably.

Oops no, Larry's gone

“I quit; everyone else is resigning and I don’t want to get stuck here with just Boris Johnson”

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1489311978040532992?s=20&t=7XLtiflKle8BKlUM5aHXHQ
  • Options
    Downing Street officials say Johnson views chancellor Rishi Sunak, a potential leadership rival, with growing distrust…

https://www.ft.com/content/dffdd8b9-f3c1-48f2-aee0-ace4fe0cfa19
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

This is the end now.

He's gone.

If only.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

I've played 7 times.

6 first time
    5 second time
    4 third time

(Edit sorry I'm referring to Wordle)
    It's about fun!

I've noticed people talk about the optimal words to start with, and that just seems dull. There are so many five letter words and some of them can be good fun. One morning I was thinking of Boris Johnson, so I started with the word "LOSER". Today my first guess was "PRANG" - because really it's a word that doesn't get used enough.
  • Options

Boris on Channel 5 News not apologising - "all I have said" followed by a lengthy lie about what he said - twice - and that smirk again...

A 'nothing has changed' statement then? He really is reaching the endgame like May.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.

Much of the area was trending toward the Tories for a long time anyway. It's possible that may reverse, but hard evidence is hard to come by, but even if others wont appeal to them as well as Boris did (but may not be appealing now), simply not repelling them now might save a lot of seats, and save a majority.
    Most of the redwall is probably gone back to Labour now anyway.

Sunak at best could scrape a narrow majority a la Major 1992, more likely he would win most seats in a hung parliament but Starmer still becomes PM with SNP and LD support
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Downing Street officials say Johnson views chancellor Rishi Sunak, a potential leadership rival, with growing distrust…

https://www.ft.com/content/dffdd8b9-f3c1-48f2-aee0-ace4fe0cfa19

Genuine fecking massive :lol:
  • Options

This is a very interesting thread.

https://twitter.com/BosonHiccup/status/1489365212901822465?s=20&t=OX_9dbw-5AQY4gBH0MuxNg

It's all so bloody incestuous isn't it?

Right, time for a political maverick to rail against this metropolitan political elite?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm confused why the story is so big it needs covering on pages 1,2,4,5, but not page 3. I don't know what the Sun puts on page 3 now.
    Tits!

A big picture of a smirking Bozza at Starr Gate tram depot making the Saville disgrace even worse.
  • Options

Sunak truly is a conservative. He has looked at this and thought "what if I go too early?" - at risk his political career.

But now? If he *doesn't* go his career is done - he will be swept away with the boss. Sunak has said "I woudn't have said that" - so do something about it. BJ's decade plus adviser quitting and attacking the disgrace of the man is not him sweeping clean as is being spun.

The cost of living disaster. The NornIron disaster. The trade disaster. All need a new PM with the ability to John Major away the rank stupidity of the previous PM. But unless it happens quickly it will be too late.

Sunak has definitely lifted his head above the parapet. He has to go full on for it now.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,796
    Applicant said:

MrBristol said:

MrB
    FPT just to say:

Oh...
    Lucky guess!

Anyone tried Nerdle?

Done in 3, but being my first go I struggled to just start by getting something that added up filling exactly the number of boxes!!! Spacial awareness not my forte.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This is really bad.

More Blair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1992

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1993

But I don't expect you to admit you got it wrong (again) HY. You take after your dear leader.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,882
    edited February 2022

Just Dilyn and Larry probably.

Oops no, Larry's gone

“I quit; everyone else is resigning and I don’t want to get stuck here with just Boris Johnson”

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1489311978040532992?s=20&t=7XLtiflKle8BKlUM5aHXHQ
    Say what you will, but based on published pix Dilyn is Boris's best friend: eager young pup & loyal Little Dog.

EDIT - Personally willing to kick Boris (repeatedly albeit rhetorically) but NOT his dog.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.

Sunak at best could scrape a narrow majority a la Major 1992, more likely he would win most seats in a hung parliament but Starmer still becomes PM with SNP and LD support
    Where did it all go so terribly wrong for your golden boy Bozza?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,391
    People ask, “how will we know when the pandemic is over?”

Perhaps the answer is when Question Time removes its glass screens?
  • Options
    Exclusive:

Cabinet ministers rate Boris Johnson’s chances of survival as 50/50 after carnage in No 10

‘It feels like the end, it’s all falling apart,’ said one

Another said it’s ‘difficult to tell’ whether the PM can stay on

Westminster febrile tonight…

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1489369098991591426
    https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1489365926495592456
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

This is really bad.

More Blair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1992

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election#1993

But I don't expect you to admit you got it wrong (again) HY. You take after your dear leader.
    First Gallup poll after Black Wednesday, Labour 42% Conservatives 37%.

First Gallup poll after Blair became Labour leader, Labour 56% Conservatives 23%.

Thanks for proving my point
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,448

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

darkage said:

It’s a secret ballot.

Where did it all go so terribly wrong for your golden boy Bozza?
    if we are talking Red Wall - HS2 was the biggie (regardless of it not directly impacting us) as it said all the money being promised for levelling up was a lie.
This discussion has been closed.