Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s a long time since a LAB leader was dominating the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

She’s on Peston, the locks on full show @MoonRabbit @IshmaelZ

You really are rubbing it in tonight, aren’t you.
    I expect a full analysis from you shortly
    Imo. The dress was perfect, suited her and suited occasion, our top politician appearing on Peston. 10/10.
    The long hair style better suited for people half her age or Victorians. 2022 - dressing for boardroom or Preston, it’s a lob. She’ll know this in two years and regret her Lady Godiva look tonight.

🤷‍♀️ I’m just repeating the same thing over and over Anabob. No more till there’s a significant development.

The necklace Leapt out at me instantly. A Totenkopf with wings.

“A skull with wings comes from hundreds of years of art culture and represents the Latin saying “Memento Mori,” which translates to the remembrance of our own death. This can represent, once again, our mortality, also symbolize a sense of character growth. As in, the death of a bad habit or quality in ourselves.”
    I consider myself bohemian but I have never considered wearing one. The decision alone suggests she has more going on beneath the surface than people appreciate. Maybe a reminder to give up smoking? It’s January.

PS in the interview Rayner had a difficult time for taking this opinionated right wing twit into the Labour Party today, and having him breath his voting record and tweets of the worst of this governments right wing agenda down the back of her neck. I think Libdems would have been too sensible to accept him. If the guy had ever heard of the libdems as an option.

Before people join political parties are there no background checks? Joiners could have been all over social media talking about bombing mosques or synagogues? 😟

Looks more like a bee to me, the necklace. One of the workers of the world, no?
    Necklacegate!
    It's the bee necklace, it is quite popular in Greater Manchester, especially after the Arena bombing, the bee became an even more popular symbol for Manchester.

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/100004/the_council_and_democracy/7580/the_manchester_bee

I bought my other half the Swarovski necklace version.
    Not familiar with jewellery. Is that the Ratner Mk 2 veriety?
    The one Rayner is wearing? Pass.

That said, she doesn't seem to be the Bvlgari type.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

Imo. The dress was perfect, suited her and suited occasion, our top politician appearing on Peston. 10/10.
    The long hair style better suited for people half her age or Victorians. 2022 - dressing for boardroom or Preston, it’s a lob. She’ll know this in two years and regret her Lady Godiva look tonight.

🤷‍♀️ I’m just repeating the same thing over and over Anabob. No more till there’s a significant development.

“A skull with wings comes from hundreds of years of art culture and represents the Latin saying “Memento Mori,” which translates to the remembrance of our own death. This can represent, once again, our mortality, also symbolize a sense of character growth. As in, the death of a bad habit or quality in ourselves.”
    I consider myself bohemian but I have never considered wearing one. The decision alone suggests she has more going on beneath the surface than people appreciate. Maybe a reminder to give up smoking? It’s January.

PS in the interview Rayner had a difficult time for taking this opinionated right wing twit into the Labour Party today, and having him breath his voting record and tweets of the worst of this governments right wing agenda down the back of her neck. I think Libdems would have been too sensible to accept him. If the guy had ever heard of the libdems as an option.

Before people join political parties are there no background checks? Joiners could have been all over social media talking about bombing mosques or synagogues? 😟

Necklacegate!
    It's the bee necklace, it is quite popular in Greater Manchester, especially after the Arena bombing, the bee became an even more popular symbol for Manchester.

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/info/100004/the_council_and_democracy/7580/the_manchester_bee

Not familiar with jewellery. Is that the Ratner Mk 2 veriety?
    The one Rayner is wearing? Pass.

That said, she doesn't seem to be the Bvlgari type.
    No reason why her pendant should be particularly expensive, anyway, looking at it.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,635

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

Necklacegate!

Bee necklace is rather sweet. I love bees.

But you are another one who needs to drive to the nearest castle Eagles!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The bee is also the adopted logo for Manchester and Rayner is an MP for Manc-hinterland Ashton-under-Lyne
    She might be the MP for Trashton but she's a Stockport girl at heart.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Here's a prediction: with no Corbyn, Brexit no longer an issue, partygate and a cost of living crisis, the Conservatives are not going to win the next election easily *whoever their leader is and whoever that leader's advisers are*

https://twitter.com/gavinbarwell/status/1483963277772267524?s=21
  • Options

OT tennis: the Scottish bloke is in all sorts of trouble and the South London girl is giving up a 3-game lead.

Emma has a damaged finger and is now 4-3 down.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

You need a drive to your nearest castle this morning!

A deadhead with wings is different than just a deadhead is how I understand the artistic iconography. But there is no way it’s special to her because it’s pretty, because it isn’t. It’s deep, and seriously suggests the wearer is too.
    Edinburgh Castle is a Hells Angels clubhouse? Who knew?

*sorry, just got the allusion ... but I still think it's a bee in flight.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The Labour deputy leader is a bit of a mixture at the moment. On the mature side of 'hot' with a tendency to tip towards 'Rick' from the 'The Young Ones' when she opens her mouth - speaking in placards. I see she's begun to tone that down recently. An ambitious lady, like Thatcher in that respect, and I reckon she might be worth a wager as future leader of the party. Starmer wouldn't even see the stiletto coming.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Sandpit said:

Chairman Estonia Foreign Affairs Committee

President Macron, why? Western unity is the most important asset we have against Russian aggression. - Macron floats EU security pact with Russia in split from US calls for ‘unity’

https://twitter.com/markomihkelson/status/1483890234236575753?s=21

France and Germany competing to see who can kiss Putin’s arse the most, just as he rollls the tanks towards Kiev. I’m not sure most of the Eastern European countries are too happy with that.
    Those wanting peace, if this come to war, will get

- A split in NATO.
    - The Eastern Europeans will either cuddle up to Moscow or try and get an alliance of those who will back them.
    - Everyone will assume Ukraine is not the "last territorial demand". So those not wanting to be ruled by Moscow will arm themselves. And how
    - Ukraine was promised that if they gave up nuclear weapons, they would be guaranteed their territorial integrity by Russia, NATO - everyone.
    - So the message will go out. Very loud and very clear. Get nuclear weapons. Keep them. Worldwide.
    - Ukraine has multiple nuclear reactors and a lot of burned up fuel. Yes, civil "grade" plutonium. But that can be processed, fairly simply, if it is old enough. That would make a nice present for someone.

So if Russia takes some more chunks out of Ukraine, we are looking at a world where nuclear proliferation switches into high gear. Where NATO/EU splits. Where a chunk of Eastern Europe gears up ready for the next war. And maybe start thinking that they should get themselves some really, really Big Sticks.

Oh, and a whole bunch of legless teenagers begging on the streets of St Petersburg. Again.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The bee is also the adopted logo for Manchester and Rayner is an MP for Manc-hinterland Ashton-under-Lyne
    She might be the MP for Trashton but she's a Stockport girl at heart.
    You’d be great laugh at a party.

“Love your Bee necklace… oh, what’s going on here. It’s death! Castle Wolfenstein fan?”
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    WASHINGTON, Jan 19 (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department has cleared Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia to send U.S.-made missiles and other weapons to Ukraine, three sources familiar with the decision said, as President Joe Biden predicted Russia would move on Ukraine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/us-clears-baltic-states-send-us-made-weapons-ukraine-2022-01-20/
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Nigelb said:
    American politics is completely screwed, until they can both find a way to get the big money out of it, and end the political micromanagement of the election process.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

A deadhead with wings is different than just a deadhead is how I understand the artistic iconography. But there is no way it’s special to her because it’s pretty, because it isn’t. It’s deep, and seriously suggests the wearer is too.

So when it comes to Rayner, you see what you want to see? 🙄
  • Options

Roger said:

The master has predicterated

Who is this twit?
    Following your post I looked him up and his alma mater is Salford University where he got a first. I was once asked to judge the mixed arts course there and someone was given a first for getting a polka dot teapot and painting a small caravan in the same polka dot design inside and out. It is not a place for academics or art students I discovered!
    Cool answer. 👍🏻 He is our Polka Dot Teapot man.

I made more sense on levelling up the red wall in my posts in the last thread and I’m just someone who fell off horses on my head too many times.
    Ah, the Surtees approach to life & politics.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

No, when it comes to bees, it's what I see (we have a bee garden here so they are very familiar ...).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Good morning, everyone.

Stop faffing, MPs. Axe him.

The current approach best described as “attack, damage, but do not challenge” is bizarre. Boris should force a “put up or shut up” vote now. Everyone is waiting for someone else to resolve it.
    Never underestimate the ability of most people to be passive and go with the flow.

It's one reason why those with genuine ideas, or personal drive, can rise to the top and carry others along with them even when they seem an extreme minority. The certainty carries them through where others hesitate.

Its why the awkward squad remain awkward and most still dont act, and why Boria got the top job.
    Yes, true in business life too - the person who goes up to the whiteboard to sketch out the plan will generally get 80% of what they want. The Tory rebels need a clear leader - maybe one will emerge post-Gray.

In politics, most people don't see themselves as moving up and down a left-right axis; they take a view at any given moment about who is most convincing. That's resulted in people as diverse as Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn getting unexpected numbers of votes from people who previously voted quite differently. The classic danger for radicals of all kinds is that they eventually put people off as just too far out. But centrists have the opposite danger, that they don't really stand up for anything, and dither in a pleasant but ineffectual manner.

The solution, as Blair found, is to have a few radical ideas that you do stand for, while maintaning a generally centrist approach. It's forgotten now how controversial the Minimum Wage was when Blair proposed it - it was centralist diktat, it would make hundreds of thousands lose their jobs. He basically said nah, loads of countries had it, it's time we did too, and people thought yes, I can take that much of a chance.
  • Options
    Dom seems to like Fridays. Perhaps some more fun tomorrow.
  • Options
    O/T, what an amazing story, not just the survival itself but the thought processes that he went through:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/20/tonga-tsunami-man-afloat-24-hours
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829

Sandpit said:

President Macron, why? Western unity is the most important asset we have against Russian aggression. - Macron floats EU security pact with Russia in split from US calls for ‘unity’

France and Germany competing to see who can kiss Putin’s arse the most, just as he rollls the tanks towards Kiev. I’m not sure most of the Eastern European countries are too happy with that.

- A split in NATO.
    - The Eastern Europeans will either cuddle up to Moscow or try and get an alliance of those who will back them.
    - Everyone will assume Ukraine is not the "last territorial demand". So those not wanting to be ruled by Moscow will arm themselves. And how
    - Ukraine was promised that if they gave up nuclear weapons, they would be guaranteed their territorial integrity by Russia, NATO - everyone.
    - So the message will go out. Very loud and very clear. Get nuclear weapons. Keep them. Worldwide.
    - Ukraine has multiple nuclear reactors and a lot of burned up fuel. Yes, civil "grade" plutonium. But that can be processed, fairly simply, if it is old enough. That would make a nice present for someone.

So if Russia takes some more chunks out of Ukraine, we are looking at a world where nuclear proliferation switches into high gear. Where NATO/EU splits. Where a chunk of Eastern Europe gears up ready for the next war. And maybe start thinking that they should get themselves some really, really Big Sticks.

Oh, and a whole bunch of legless teenagers begging on the streets of St Petersburg. Again.
    Another good article on the geopolitics here:
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Ukraine-crisis-highlights-superpowers-quarrel-over-spheres-of-influence

France and Germany need to think hard about the consequences of what is essentially appeasement - a term which is bandied about far too often, but which fits here.
    Except that in this case, Ukraine will fight regardless - and their stance makes war more, not less likely, I think.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    Singapore-on-Thames, anyone?

https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/1484087807555645441

"Nagaenthran Dharmalingam faces imminent execution in Singapore despite his intellectual disability. Heartbreakingly, he doesn't fully understand he c'd be killed – thinks he's going home. Please @leehsienloong & President Halimah, spare this vulnerable man's life #SaveNagaenthran"
  • Options
    Chris said:

Roger said:

moonshine said:

Give me strength what is the matter with these Tory MPs? Don’t they realise that every day and week that passes, the stench rubs off on them?

As for changing their mind because of the defector, he’s just done what millions of Tory voters are planning to do but haven’t had the chance yet.

Does it really rub off on them, though? I think Boris's failings are pretty firmly part Boris's personal brand. If they replace him someone suitably different, then that person calls an election, I don't think the voters are going to vote based on their opinion of what the last guy did.
    If that had been true Ratner would have been able to sell his company. Johnson is now the Tory/UKIP brand.
    Johnson is the leader, no more than that. Once Boris goes there'll be a new leader and people will move on.

As for what became of Ratner's company - now known as Signet Jewelers it's a multi billion dollar business that is the number one jewelry retailer in the UK, USA and Canada and it's the number one diamond retailer in the world.
    So what you are saying is, if Johnson changes his name, maybe to Big Dog, the reputation could be saved.
    No what I'm saying is that Johnson will inevitably go. All leaders inevitably go.

A new name will appear at the top, instead of Johnson it might be Sunak or Truss or someone we haven't yet discussed.

At that point like Ratner himself Johnson will be gone. But the Party, like the business, will survive.
    After all, the Lib Dems had a pretty disastrous time a decade ago, but the leader moved on and the Lib Dems survived to become the gargantuan force they are today in British politics.
    Behave 😠
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited January 2022

Singapore-on-Thames, anyone?

https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/1484087807555645441

"Nagaenthran Dharmalingam faces imminent execution in Singapore despite his intellectual disability. Heartbreakingly, he doesn't fully understand he c'd be killed – thinks he's going home. Please @leehsienloong & President Halimah, spare this vulnerable man's life #SaveNagaenthran"

Arkansas-on-the-Thames more like.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Ray_Rector
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited January 2022
    cancelled!
  • Options

Here's a prediction: with no Corbyn, Brexit no longer an issue, partygate and a cost of living crisis, the Conservatives are not going to win the next election easily *whoever their leader is and whoever that leader's advisers are*

Good morning

I think that is a reasonable assumption but it is 2 plus years away and that is a long time in politics

After the last few days I can honestly say I have no idea whether or how Boris survives but that is a decision only his mps can make

I will be grateful to Boris for getting us out of the EU and that both labour and the lib dems have accepted rejoining is not on the table, but a better relationship from outside is and I support that

I also believe Boris took the right calls on covid though recently that was due to his backbench rebels

However, his political demise will almost certainly be due to his many flaws catching up with him and next week will be political theatre again like this week
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:
    American politics is completely screwed, until they can both find a way to get the big money out of it, and end the political micromanagement of the election process.
    In 2020 the richest candidate by far was Michael Bloomberg, he only won a single Democratic primary, American Samoa
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Good morning, everyone.

Stop faffing, MPs. Axe him.

The current approach best described as “attack, damage, but do not challenge” is bizarre. Boris should force a “put up or shut up” vote now. Everyone is waiting for someone else to resolve it.
    Never underestimate the ability of most people to be passive and go with the flow.

It's one reason why those with genuine ideas, or personal drive, can rise to the top and carry others along with them even when they seem an extreme minority. The certainty carries them through where others hesitate.

Its why the awkward squad remain awkward and most still dont act, and why Boria got the top job.
    Yes, true in business life too - the person who goes up to the whiteboard to sketch out the plan will generally get 80% of what they want. The Tory rebels need a clear leader - maybe one will emerge post-Gray.

In politics, most people don't see themselves as moving up and down a left-right axis; they take a view at any given moment about who is most convincing. That's resulted in people as diverse as Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn getting unexpected numbers of votes from people who previously voted quite differently. The classic danger for radicals of all kinds is that they eventually put people off as just too far out. But centrists have the opposite danger, that they don't really stand up for anything, and dither in a pleasant but ineffectual manner.

The solution, as Blair found, is to have a few radical ideas that you do stand for, while maintaning a generally centrist approach. It's forgotten now how controversial the Minimum Wage was when Blair proposed it - it was centralist diktat, it would make hundreds of thousands lose their jobs. He basically said nah, loads of countries had it, it's time we did too, and people thought yes, I can take that much of a chance.
    Yes, I remember the absolute outrage at the minimum wage. The economy would collapse overnight, it showed Labour didn't understand business, etc. Much the same was said at various crucial changes throughout the nineteenth century, including stopping children working up chimneys, and stopping children working more than ten hours a day in factories.

There wasn't that much radicalism else like that in the Blair first term, though, I wouldn't say, and so Blair tried to cover that up with unfortunate gesture-politics nonsense like scrapping the assisted places scheme, which just made elite schools even more exclusive than before.
  • Options
    Sir Andy Murray has been shit since he backed Scottish independence, coincidence?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,097

Ben John: Extremist ordered to read books is jailed
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-60051861

That was one of the most ridiculous sentences.

What is the gain to society of sending a troubled 22 year old to prison for something he did as a kid?
    Given that he apparently radicalised himself with stuff he read.... Getting him to read non neo-Nazi stuff actually sounds - sensible.
    As part of a structured rehabilitation programme yes.

Alternatively we can throw him in prison for a couple of years, destroy his career and leave him embittered and hostile to society.

🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Heathener said:

A sure sign that Labour are doing well is just how p*ssed off the Left are. They will eventually I'm sure become a thorn in the side again but Starmer has dragged the party back to electability.

Smart move too from Rachel Reeves to say that under Labour she couldn't see the UK rejoining the EU in the next 50 years. No idea what Leon was so obsessing about over this. For good or ill, mostly the latter, the deed was done and we have to get on with it.

And great to see Yvette Cooper back in frontline politics.

Labour are starting to look like a Government in waiting.

More centrist economically than 2019 and accepting of Brexit, if a softer Brexit.

Starmer is focused on winning back the redwall first with that platform it seems, he knows under FPTP the inner cities and university towns will still vote Labour by a landslide anyway
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:
    In 2020 the richest candidate by far was Michael Bloomberg, he only won a single Democratic primary, American Samoa
    The case in question is effectively about buying politicians, not elections.
  • Options

Roger said:

Who is this twit?
    Following your post I looked him up and his alma mater is Salford University where he got a first. I was once asked to judge the mixed arts course there and someone was given a first for getting a polka dot teapot and painting a small caravan in the same polka dot design inside and out. It is not a place for academics or art students I discovered!
    Ah, we're back to disparaging people by the uni they attended.
    As one of the very few people on here who didn't go to university- I suspect-I'm unlikely to be doing that!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

No, when it comes to bees, it's what I see (we have a bee garden here so they are very familiar ...).
    I’m not getting at any of you. I appreciate old age does not come alone, and your boon having Gen Z poster bring the average age down.

• Options

What is the gain to society of sending a troubled 22 year old to prison for something he did as a kid?
    Given that he apparently radicalised himself with stuff he read.... Getting him to read non neo-Nazi stuff actually sounds - sensible.

Alternatively we can throw him in prison for a couple of years, destroy his career and leave him embittered and hostile to society.

🤷‍♂️
    I find it interesting to look at who is *opposed* to Prevent. Which is exactly about this, getting people off the Hate Train.

"Alternatively we can throw him in prison for a couple of years, destroy his career and leave him embittered and hostile to society." - yes, what could possibly go wrong with that?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

Macron is an idiot and the SDP are venal
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The personal device of Napoleon. It can sting you or give you honey...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Ukraine-crisis-highlights-superpowers-quarrel-over-spheres-of-influence

France and Germany need to think hard about the consequences of what is essentially appeasement - a term which is bandied about far too often, but which fits here.
    Except that in this case, Ukraine will fight regardless - and their stance makes war more, not less likely, I think.
    Reading the comments supporting the German position is strange. Apparently...

- Protecting the German economy is no.1 priority for Europe.
    - Ukraine has already been beaten up by Russian, so defending them is a bad idea (!?)
    - Eastern European nations are all a bit shitty.
    - Ukraine is bad for threatening to defend itself.
    - Gas, winter etc.
  • Options
    Biden apparently invites Russia to a little incursion into Ukraine but he tells Russia not to go to far, or else

Strange way to deter Russia and must alarm NATO and the EU
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176

🤷‍♂️
    I'm more in favour of rehabilitation than prison for these kind of cases but what grated was his treatment relative to others. If we don't want to punish people for childhood stupidity then what about Shamima Begum? She can't even get a trial.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

Reading the comments supporting the German position is strange. Apparently...

- Protecting the German economy is no.1 priority for Europe.
    - Ukraine has already been beaten up by Russian, so defending them is a bad idea (!?)
    - Eastern European nations are all a bit shitty.
    - Ukraine is bad for threatening to defend itself.
    - Gas, winter etc.
    Follow the money. Nordstream 2 will make a lot of money for some people
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

I’m not getting at any of you. I appreciate old age does not come alone, and your boon having Gen Z poster bring the average age down.

The fact I explained it’s spiritual symbolism as likely neither Nazi or Hells Angels was a bonus you didn’t grasp.

I can see I still have a mountain of work to do here on this site. 🥱 I’m going back to bed, see you tomorrow.
  • Options

Biden apparently invites Russia to a little incursion into Ukraine but he tells Russia not to go to far, or else

Macron's right. NATO is brain dead. We're in the last and disappointing chapter of the United States of America. Europe is going to have to take responsibility for its own security and defence.
  • Options

🤷‍♂️
    I'm more in favour of rehabilitation than prison for these kind of cases but what grated was his treatment relative to others. If we don't want to punish people for childhood stupidity then what about Shamima Begum? She can't even get a trial.
    Well, I wanted her tried for her war crimes. But apparently Proper Lawyers think that charging private individuals with war crimes is rude or something.
  • Options

Yes, I remember the absolute outrage at the minimum wage. The economy would collapse overnight, it showed Labour didn't understand business, etc. Much the same was said at various crucial changes throughout the nineteenth century, including stopping children working up chimneys, and stopping children working more than ten hours a day in factories.

There wasn't that much radicalism else like that in the Blair first term, though, I wouldn't say, and so Blair tried to cover that up with unfortunate gesture-politics nonsense like scrapping the assisted places scheme, which just made elite schools even more exclusive than before.

Yes, I agree, apart from social issues like civil partnerships (which led to gay marriages in due course). Really what stands out positively in my memory over the full period was the policy that Brown pushed Blair into European-level funding of the NHS. Blair's price for that was bringing in the private sector, but the change in waiting times was just amazing - two weeks for cancer, max 18 weeks for everything else. It seems like a distant dream now, with waits of 2 years not uncommon even before Covid.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Macron's right. NATO is brain dead. We're in the last and disappointing chapter of the United States of America. Europe is going to have to take responsibility for its own security and defence.
    Looks like it but divisions within Europe are not going to see a quick solution if indeed there is one
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    The Conservative Party addressing the issues that matter. Tannoy announcements on trains.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17378839/tannoy-announcements-to-be-silenced-on-trains-after-complaints/

Harry Cole commented that this is all a bit "cones hotline" and it's hard to disagree.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

A sure sign that Labour are doing well is just how p*ssed off the Left are. They will eventually I'm sure become a thorn in the side again but Starmer has dragged the party back to electability.

Smart move too from Rachel Reeves to say that under Labour she couldn't see the UK rejoining the EU in the next 50 years. No idea what Leon was so obsessing about over this. For good or ill, mostly the latter, the deed was done and we have to get on with it.

More centrist economically than 2019 and accepting of Brexit, if a softer Brexit.

Starmer is focused on winning back the redwall first with that platform it seems, he knows under FPTP the inner cities and university towns will still vote Labour by a landslide anyway
    Personally it's interesting to me how he's actually stopped baiting the left in the time he's had a big boost. The last big row with the left was around the time of the Labour conference, after which he took a knock in the polls ; he's been all up since then. Conversely, much of last year was taken up with rows with the left, after which he seemed to lose another 3% after each.

I personally don't think he needs to do any more of that. He's established his difference from Corbyn, but is more recently taking more people from across the board within him. The Green and LD shares are down too - it's not just Tory switchers.

He's becoming a better and more widely appealing performer across the board, I think.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Pro_Rata said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

It says "I'm a Manc, me". Punto e basta.
    She's not, though. She's from Stockport, and any Stopfordian would tell you they aren't mancs...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The fact I explained it’s spiritual symbolism as likely neither Nazi or Hells Angels was a bonus you didn’t grasp.

I can see I still have a mountain of work to do here on this site. 🥱 I’m going back to bed, see you tomorrow.
    She's a Manchester MP. The symbol of Manchester is a bee. It's a bee.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Looks like it but divisions within Europe are not going to see a quick solution if indeed there is one
    Selling the Ukraine to Russia will not encourage other Eastern European countries to think that they won't be sold as well.
  • Options

🤷‍♂️
    Well, I wanted her tried for her war crimes. But apparently Proper Lawyers think that charging private individuals with war crimes is rude or something.
    Government lawyers have decided that she's not British, that's the problem. Brown person *accused* of terrorism=not British, denied a trial. White person *found guilty* of terrorism=read Jane Austen.
  • Options

True.

But they'll find it a lot harder if the self-indulgence, laziness, stupidity and general immaturity in Downing Street doesn't stop.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340

Wasn't he referring to the last incursion into Crimea which also happened on his watch as VP.

Mind you, "I don't mind if you peacefully take the Russian homelands to the East and leave the rest of Ukraine alone", although it smacks of appeasement, it might be the safest current option.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The Conservative Party addressing the issues that matter. Tannoy announcements on trains.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17378839/tannoy-announcements-to-be-silenced-on-trains-after-complaints/

Harry Cole commented that this is all a bit "cones hotline" and it's hard to disagree.

Just because something isn't a big thing doesn't make it not worth doing.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

Generally speaking, leaders who rely on Big Power assurances are building their hopes on sand - true of good guys (Gorbachev?) and bad guys (Gaddafi?) alike. You're right that third parties will draw appropriate conclusions.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The bee emblem is pretty common around Greater Manchester. My wife has two bee necklaces. It's Manchester (and latterly Greater Manchester)'s symbol. Symbolising industry. It wasn't actually used that widely before the bomb at the arena (though anyone with an eye for these things would have noticed bees on Victorian bollards, Boddington's beer etc) - but has become ubiquitous since.

Angela Rayner's necklace doesn't look particularly like a bee to me though.
  • Options

🤷‍♂️
    Government lawyers have decided that she's not British, that's the problem. Brown person *accused* of terrorism=not British, denied a trial. White person *found guilty* of terrorism=read Jane Austen.
    The reason that was done (which I don't support and regard the whole idea as an abomination) relates to the effort that has been put over decades to remove all the existing legal avenues by which she could be tried.

Apparently Treason was old fashioned.

Consider, if we had updated the definition of Treason, she would be looking at 20 years on a slam dunk case. But that would be rude or reactionary or something.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    Applicant said:

Pro_Rata said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

It says "I'm a Manc, me". Punto e basta.
    She's not, though. She's from Stockport, and any Stopfordian would tell you they aren't mancs...
    My wife's from Stockport. She calls herself a Manc because Stockport is shit.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622

The idea that Brexit (not being in the EU) is not an issue after a few years, when being in the EU was a major issue 45 years after joining is nonsense.

If you define Brexit as the legal act of leaving, now in the past, then it is of course true, but that is playing with words.

• Options

Wasn't he referring to the last incursion into Crimea which also happened on his watch as VP.

Mind you, "I don't mind if you peacefully take the Russian homelands to the East and leave the rest of Ukraine alone", although it smacks of appeasement, it might be the safest current option.
    No he wasn't

He actually told Russia little incursions are OK and there was immediate concern at his comments with the press seeking qualification

My son in Vancouver commented a couple of days ago about the absence of leaders worldwide and to be honest he was spot on
  • Options

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

Generally speaking, leaders who rely on Big Power assurances are building their hopes on sand - true of good guys (Gorbachev?) and bad guys (Gaddafi?) alike. You're right that third parties will draw appropriate conclusions.
    My recommendation is to invest in companies selling nuclear fuel re-processing technology.

It's nice and dual use - if you run civil reactor fuel rods that have sat in a cooling pond for a couple of decades though it, guess what you get as a lovely side product?
  • Options

True.

But they'll find it a lot harder if the self-indulgence, laziness, stupidity and general immaturity in Downing Street doesn't stop.
    Not so fast. Johnson has the luxury of offering something outrageous to rouse slumbering voters, certainly now he hasn't got the incumbrance of the EU to rain on his parade. I think it will be capital punishment for terrorism and nonces. Who, but woke liberal traitors wouldn't agree to that.
  • Options

🤷‍♂️
    The reason that was done (which I don't support and regard the whole idea as an abomination) relates to the effort that has been put over decades to remove all the existing legal avenues by which she could be tried.

Consider, if we had updated the definition of Treason, she would be looking at 20 years on a slam dunk case. But that would be rude or reactionary or something.
    You don't deny an individual due process because you don't like the laws on the statute book. Not if you're a country that's serious about the idea of equality under the law. What we have now is a legal system that is de facto racist, which metes out different punishments based on a person's parentage. I have mixed race children, two of whom have a foreign passport. I'd like to tell them that they have the same rights in this country as any white person, but I can't. As you say, an abomination.
  • Options

Who decides on where these 'Russian homelands' are ?

And don't these 'Russian homelands' exist in other countries ?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Well he's started in a damn strange way.

And in any event, he's wrong.
  • Options

Heathener said:

I agree that Labour are looking good and more promising, but I think too that figures like Yvette Cooper are going to have show a lot more than her "war on drugs" New Labour tunes from a couple of months back to show she understands current politics again. She has a lot of ability, but needs to move on from that authoritarian approach, as do several other Labour figures of that era.
    I do get the impression that some in the shadow cabinet think they can just cosplay old New Labour tunes and it’ll instantly be a winning formula. While people don’t want Corbynism, they aren’t exactly crying out for turbo charged New Labour. Many of the same voters who dislike Corbyn also dislike Blair as well.

As for the Tories, I’m shocked they haven’t gotten rid of Boris already. If they wait till May after the elections their brand (as opposed to just Boris’ image) could also be damaged, if it isn’t yet already.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

"The Government pledged last year to simplify the announcements to provide a “single source of truth” as part of a plan to improve the railway experience."

Single source of truth? Trolling us all yet again!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Feels a lot like some rebels extracted the end of the mask mandate as the price for keeping Boris in No 10 a little longer. Wonder what else they’ll try and get out of him, to let him linger on to May.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    edited January 2022
    DougSeal said:

Oh dear. The government is now trawling the Coalition Years for abandoned Lib Dem policies.

Transport minister Norman Baker has said the number of computer-generated announcements on trains has got out of hand and needs to be reduced.

[...]

Mr Baker told Radio 4's The World at One that firms should differentiate between essential announcements - such as imminent station arrivals and explaining reasons for delays - and ones which were "simply unnecessary".

[...]

"There are so many announcements which get in the way. People do not want every single moment of their journey filled with someone saying something... the sadness is that the unnecessary announcements dilute the value of the important ones."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21773741
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am quite unclear how Western democracies can play with authoritarian nationalism at home and expect the Western alliance to continue as a tight group.

Who could possibly have foreseen that having aggressive spats between the US and EU, the EU and UK, UK and France, Poland/Hungary and the EU would weaken NATO and the Western alliance?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I agree that Labour look electable. But they are making little song and dance about what they would actually do as opposed to the background music. At some point they will be grilled and have to say something non-unicorn like about: Post Brexit settlement and relationships (EEA? EFTA? Customs? SM? FoM?); debt (currently maxed out); borrowing (ditto); inflation; the poor who are always with us; state managed expenditure (maxed out); tax (maxed out); NHS (maxed out and apparently struggling); social care (not even the Lord Almighty knows this one); wage rises; student loans.

At that point it gets interesting.

But if you look at what people do, not what they say, the Tories seem to have decided that the next election is a good one to lose. Labour haven't. sadly I think the Tories would be right.

• Options

🤷‍♂️

You don't deny an individual due process because you don't like the laws on the statute book. Not if you're a country that's serious about the idea of equality under the law. What we have now is a legal system that is de facto racist, which metes out different punishments based on a person's parentage. I have mixed race children, two of whom have a foreign passport. I'd like to tell them that they have the same rights in this country as any white person, but I can't. As you say, an abomination.
    Indeed. What we are seeing is part of "game" (see game theory)

1) Laws removed because old fashioned, reactionary, nationalistic.
    2) People become, in effect, un-prosecutable
    3) The Government invents a new law
    4) Law is struck down because old fashioned, reactionary, nationalistic.
    5) The Government invents a new law
    etc
    etc

There were people who were very keen on removing the legal channels for dealing with such people. They should not be surprised with the result.

When I lived in Wiltshire, a group of... travellers rocked up. And the criminal element among them started causing a series of problems in the town. The police said, that under their new guidelines, they wound't arrest the criminals, since this would carry a risk of serious disorder, and that travellers were a protected class and need special handling.

The escalation continued. A rather violent distraction robbery left an old lady in A&E....

The next Friday night, a chunk of the town "blacked up", went out to the encampment, and presented an ultimatum - leave or be burned out. They left.

Naturally, the next day, the town was flooded with police trying to find out who.

Whose fault was the above

- the travellers, for protecting the criminals among them?
    - the Police, for abandoning law and order?
    - the locals, for resorting to vigilante thuggery?

• Options
    One of those cases where one wants them both to lose, and, this being a defamation case, both of them almost certainly will:

https://pressgazette.co.uk/carole-cadwalladr-witness-arron-banks-libel/
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

I agree that Labour look electable. But they are making little song and dance about what they would actually do as opposed to the background music. At some point they will be grilled and have to say something non-unicorn like about: Post Brexit settlement and relationships (EEA? EFTA? Customs? SM? FoM?); debt (currently maxed out); borrowing (ditto); inflation; the poor who are always with us; state managed expenditure (maxed out); tax (maxed out); NHS (maxed out and apparently struggling); social care (not even the Lord Almighty knows this one); wage rises; student loans.

But if you look at what people do, not what they say, the Tories seem to have decided that the next election is a good one to lose. Labour haven't. sadly I think the Tories would be right.

Tax is not maxed out on the ultra rich.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

A Starmer vs Sunak / Hunt election could be the narrowest difference in policy offering we’ve had in living memory. Which is exactly the message that Starmer would want to be taken I think.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437

John Crace in the Guardian suggests that 'Boris ........... even said he had no idea where such a famous quotation came from. '

Really? Is there a record of him REALLY saying that? Even though Davis didn't attribute it to the original!

I didn't hear it on the news, so I've just checked it in Hansard, and that's what he said.

I must say to my right hon. Friend that I do not know what he is talking about. I do not know what quotation he is alluding to.

It's been suggested in the past that Johnson might be hard of hearing, perhaps some hearing loss following Covid. Otherwise it's a choice between reflexive lying or stupidity.

It is not credible that a supposed biographer of Churchill would not know the quotation.
  • Options

Putin presumably on the basis of those areas that want to be determined by Russia, and yes. I'm not saying it's optimal although Putin might decide it is
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    👀 Hearing a senior MP is due to make a scathing intervention in the partygate scandal this morning… standby for potential sparks to fly.

You might want to tune in to the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee right now...

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1484103653472587777
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

That's what France thought.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

I read that this morning, it's a really good and fairly neutral take on the situation. The French proposal for an EU-Russia pact is actually appeasement. It's a proposal to let the Russians do what they want and suffer no consequences from Europe.

The EU is very quickly proving that it is not to be trusted without the UK in it. Something a lot of us said would happen and was denied by the more ardent EUphiles who have idealised the EU as some bastion of liberal democracy when the reality is very different.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    I know in advance that this would never fly in reality but has anyone on the Ukraine side considered “selling” the areas of Ukraine that Russia wants to the Russians?

If they sold them (Alaska, Louisiana Purchase etc) to Russia on condition that they were demilitarised with defence guarantees for each side they could be quasi-autonomous (Hong Kong) and honour could be served.

Ukraine gets a large sum of money, guarantees on gas supply, those Ukrainians who consider themselves Russian can move to these areas should they wish and the Russian gov can compensate whilst Ukrainians who don’t consider themselves Russian can be compensated to move.

I know Indian partition doesn’t give the best precedent but surely better than a war?

The Russians look “reasonable” and get what they want without the cost of war in blood and treasure, Ukraine gets energy security, security, shit loads of money.

And for those who say “why should we leave our homes because the Russians want our land - I get it but surely it’s better getting a load of cash and moving then either getting killed in a war, living in a war zone indefinitely or ultimately ending up in a part of Russia when you hate Russia.

Everyone’s a winner…..
  • Options
    This thread no longer has a chance of surviving.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    Breaking:

William Wragg accuses government of blackmail & intimidation over treatment of Tory rebels

He urges rebels to go to the police

He accuses Govt of breaching ministerial code by threatening to withdraw investments in constituencies

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1484104316164186115
  • Options

Given that one realistic option for Putin is a full scale ground invasion in the direction of Kyiv - which in only just over a hundred miles from the northern border - a range of responses is necessary, but agreed it was not the cleverest of phrases.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I am quite unclear how Western democracies can play with authoritarian nationalism at home and expect the Western alliance to continue as a tight group.

Who could possibly have foreseen that having aggressive spats between the US and EU, the EU and UK, UK and France, Poland/Hungary and the EU would weaken NATO and the Western alliance?
    A good question.
    NATO is certainly weakened, but 'brain dead' is just French hyperbole.
  • Options

Putin presumably on the basis of those areas that want to be determined by Russia, and yes. I'm not saying it's optimal although Putin might decide it is
    Hey, there are a bunch of British people living in Spain. Lived there for a fair while. Does that mean we should just take a chunk of the Spanish coastline to "protect" the "ethnic British", in their "homelands"?

A big chunk of "Russians" in Ukraine are recent immigrants - a couple of generations.

The blood & soil stuff is exactly what it sounds like....

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Devi Sridhar piece in the G. She's been good on the pandemic imo. Firmly in the "live with Covid" camp now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/19/science-covid-ineradicable-disease-prevention
  • Options

John Crace in the Guardian suggests that 'Boris ........... even said he had no idea where such a famous quotation came from. '

Really? Is there a record of him REALLY saying that? Even though Davis didn't attribute it to the original!

I didn't hear it on the news, so I've just checked it in Hansard, and that's what he said.

I must say to my right hon. Friend that I do not know what he is talking about. I do not know what quotation he is alluding to.

It's been suggested in the past that Johnson might be hard of hearing, perhaps some hearing loss following Covid. Otherwise it's a choice between reflexive lying or stupidity.

It is not credible that a supposed biographer of Churchill would not know the quotation.
    I think it was reflexive deflection - whether he mis-heard or heard and understood. An attempt to bat it away.

Yes, it is a GCSE level quote - the simplest history of WWII concerning the UK has it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Who is this twit?
    Ah, we're back to disparaging people by the uni they attended.
    Roger is only succeeding in confirming himself as a journeyman film maker who looks in awe at those with actual creative gifts. Dismissing any art without understanding the motive and thought process behind its production is the biggest giveaway.
    I'm sure you're right. I was asked to talk to the students about their final year show. I enjoyed this girls caravan very much not least because it was the only show that involved a walk outside. Taking a polka dot teapot and then replicating the dods on every surface in the caravan was a nice and amusing idea.

As the culmination of a four year course I wondered if she had anything that might have led her to this magnum opus and she hadn't. It just came to her a month before and she'd spent that month buying the caravan and the teapot and painting the dots. Was it worthy of a FIRST? Who can say. I never went to university so I'm a poor judge. Perhaps they should have asked you instead.
  • Options

Ukraine is of existential importance to Russia for a few reasons. Even its name comes from the Old Slavonic equivalents of the preposition 'y' (by) and the noun 'край' (region) giving the figurative meaning of frontier. In Putin's post-Soviet chauvinist Russian nationalism Ukraine is a central part of the Russian cultural demos.

Russia defensive strategy has depended on defence in depth and, for good or ill, Ukraine has provided that since the time of The Great. Since 2014 it's become apparent to Putin that keeping Ukraine out NATO is one thing but Western military and political influence over Ukraine has increased dramatically despite their detached relationship with the alliance.

Ukraine agreed to the 2015 Minsk Accords at the barrel of a gun and don't particularly feel bound by it. Maybe Frosty negotiated it for them.

Dragging Ukraine firmly back into the orbit of Russia is Putin's legacy project and if he can't do that he'll dismember it into a collection of failing statelets.

• Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

It certainly isn't, on wealth in particular. In fact I see a big picture choice emerging, regardless of who's in power. Extract more tax from wealth & the wealthy or downgrade what we expect from public services, esp on health.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

Red Ange Klaxon

The bee emblem is pretty common around Greater Manchester. My wife has two bee necklaces. It's Manchester (and latterly Greater Manchester)'s symbol. Symbolising industry. It wasn't actually used that widely before the bomb at the arena (though anyone with an eye for these things would have noticed bees on Victorian bollards, Boddington's beer etc) - but has become ubiquitous since.

Angela Rayner's necklace doesn't look particularly like a bee to me though.
    It’s a winged totenkopf. I explained all this ten hours ago. What’s going on here?

Now, I ask myself, are these guys not seeing clearly because “they wish” Angela to be fluffy, like they instinctively want all women as sweet and fluffy, straightforward to understand not deep and complicated? Do these guys on here actually know how to “connect up” and love someone deep and complicated? 🤔

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    edited January 2022
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

It certainly isn't, on wealth in particular. In fact I see a big picture choice emerging, regardless of who's in power. Extract more tax from wealth & the wealthy or downgrade what we expect from public services, esp on health.
    On health, I think technology will be our friend. We will be able to get much better than we do now in 10 years time, but it will be more unequal, and people will judge comparatively so will feel as if it has got worse.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Nigelb said:

Given that one realistic option for Putin is a full scale ground invasion in the direction of Kyiv - which in only just over a hundred miles from the northern border - a range of responses is necessary, but agreed it was not the cleverest of phrases.
    I thought it was just an obvious truth. The response to aggression takes into account the nature & extent of the aggression. Everyone knows this (inc Putin) so I don't see the point in saying otherwise.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    Applicant said:

DougSeal said:

Just because something isn't a big thing doesn't make it not worth doing.
    Hard disagree. This sort of thing should not be the preserve of central government. It is a complete waste of bandwidth. It should be for the train operators. I find the pre-recorded tannoy announcer in Sainsburys to be unbearably smug and condescending. Will Whitehall sort that out for me?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I thought it was just an obvious truth. The response to aggression takes into account the nature & extent of the aggression. Everyone knows this (inc Putin) so I don't see the point in saying otherwise.
    Russia has a range of options and there is presumably a range of economic sanctions attached to each.

Go to the Perekop Isthmus to get a land bridge and water supply for Crimea.
    All the way west to Transnistria to deny what's left of Ukraine access to the Black Sea.
    Occupy all of eastern Ukraine up to the Dnieper (probably need the help of Belarus for this).
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Ukraine is of existential importance to Russia for a few reasons. Even its name comes from the Old Slavonic equivalents of the preposition 'y' (by) and the noun 'край' (region) giving the figurative meaning of frontier. In Putin's post-Soviet chauvinist Russian nationalism Ukraine is a central part of the Russian cultural demos.

Russia defensive strategy has depended on defence in depth and, for good or ill, Ukraine has provided that since the time of The Great. Since 2014 it's become apparent to Putin that keeping Ukraine out NATO is one thing but Western military and political influence over Ukraine has increased dramatically despite their detached relationship with the alliance.

Ukraine agreed to the 2015 Minsk Accords at the barrel of a gun and don't particularly feel bound by it. Maybe Frosty negotiated it for them.

Dragging Ukraine firmly back into the orbit of Russia is Putin's legacy project and if he can't do that he'll dismember it into a collection of failing statelets.

Good piece!

To my understanding in ethnicity all of Ukraine is Eastern Slav, in religious terms it’s predominantly Orthodox, and in security terms it’s key to the Russian empires defence - so I see Putin wanting the whole of Ukraine, not just a slither as the Oval Office mistakenly thinks.

You could claim it’s Russian aggression, he wants all the old satellite pieces back into his empire, Latvia could be next. Or you could see it as Moscow is struggling to even keep what it currently has in its orbit, it’s fighting a doomed losing battle on that, Ukraines fall to the west as an example of this.

Either way, in my opinion, the questions, difficult questions, to be answered, that builds the detente a long term peace is built upon, will not be answered by a proxy war. It’s a mistaken road for all parties in this to go down.

The mistake made in this proxy war sets back answering the question and having regional peace by a long time.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

I read that this morning, it's a really good and fairly neutral take on the situation. The French proposal for an EU-Russia pact is actually appeasement. It's a proposal to let the Russians do what they want and suffer no consequences from Europe.

The EU is very quickly proving that it is not to be trusted without the UK in it. Something a lot of us said would happen and was denied by the more ardent EUphiles who have idealised the EU as some bastion of liberal democracy when the reality is very different.
    Looks like a disastrous strategic mistake for us to have lost our influence from within the EU then.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    kinabalu said:

Devi Sridhar piece in the G. She's been good on the pandemic imo. Firmly in the "live with Covid" camp now.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/19/science-covid-ineradicable-disease-prevention

Yes - some have unfairly lumped her into the Pagel/Gurdusani crowd. A rational voice.
  • Options
    Some seriously impressive tennis from Raducanu considering she's injured. The last game just lasted nine minutes which isn't that common in women's tennis.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

- A split in NATO.

Looks like a disastrous strategic mistake for us to have lost our influence from within the EU then.
    If we had serious influence in the EU then that may have been true.

But regardless of its rights or wrongs Iraq and other examples showed that we never did.
This discussion has been closed.