Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s a long time since a LAB leader was dominating the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Beth Rigby: "2019-er told me “it’s all planned out” "

• Options
    Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m
    And this from a 2019-er on whether that plot to oust PM has dissipated or is merely on hold: “It's all planned out and a question of when. We don't want the new leader to take a hit at the local elections [in May]. So we may well wait unless the Sue Gray report really hits."

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1483916565267558402
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:
    That would be fucking hilarious if it happened.
    Entirely possible. Many of them have got used to living on a MP's salary.

The issue for Labour, though, would be if a new Tory leader came in and then the ratings started to recover. Not hard to imagine those MPs deciding to shift back.
    Has anyone ever crossed the floor twice (as in, crossed and crossed back) in a single Parliament? Did one of the CUKs do it?
    Paul Marsden (MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham) left Labour for the LDs in 2001 but returned in 2005 prior to not restanding.
    Yes, he returned replete with stories about Charles Kennedy's drinking as I recall.
    Was hardly a well-kept secret.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

Beth Rigby: "2019-er told me “it’s all planned out” "

Meaning?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Are you strong on the civil war period of History Dr Y?
    Was Cromwell a Freemason?
    Part 2.

I havn’t much to go on. But my brother is obsessed with Templars. He says Cromwell was a Freemason 🤷‍♀️

It’s to do with those who love magnacarta. The night King John signed it he stayed with knight Templar. And at that time they wrote all the laws?

I know very little about the Civil War era (it's never been something I found interesting)
    Where's a damn dislike button when you need one? :(
    The only decent sex maniac among the whole lot of the Stuarts was Charles II.
    His Scottish genes.
    Didn't seem to work for his father and to a rather lesser extent his grandfather or brother.
    I thought his brother also had mistresses. But he felt so guilty, he made sure they were all unattractive.
    Like I said, the only *decent* sex maniac was Charles II.
    Do you mean, out of only the ones in Whitehall? There were plenty in Scotland before them. And of course in France and Italy after, but I've never been interested in the Malignants enough to sniff their sheets so to speak. Though Chas II and Jas VII/II had some interesting nautical interests and Chas II in science.
    Jamie Saxt liked a well turned out male leg. His strictures against sodomy are somewhat reminiscent of Southern US tv evangelists who recommend dancing away the gay..
    Bit hard on the women. Especially the ones who got done for witchcraft. North Berwick has never been livelier.

Seriously: the dissonance between a douce family resort/commuterland and what happened then is astounding.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

From lockdown ultra fanatic to 'get on with our lives'. Incredible. Devi Sridhar.

James Melville
    @JamesMelville
    As far as U-turns go, this one is quite spectacular.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1483894115976761349

A logical one, though. When vaccines didn't exist it NPIs were necessary. Now that we have freely available vaccines that give us a huge reduction in severity the need for NPIs has disappeared. A lot of people on PB have the same view, I'm very much in that camp, I recognise that lockdowns and other measures were necessary at varying degrees until around May/June 2021. Since then we haven't needed them and we won't need them in the future.

There's no future where we eradicate COVID so why spend GDP to try and do that?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

The issue for Labour, though, would be if a new Tory leader came in and then the ratings started to recover. Not hard to imagine those MPs deciding to shift back.
    Anyone can rat, but it takes a certain amount of ingenuity to re-rat.
  • Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m
    And this from a 2019-er on whether that plot to oust PM has dissipated or is merely on hold: “It's all planned out and a question of when. We don't want the new leader to take a hit at the local elections [in May]. So we may well wait unless the Sue Gray report really hits."

And that's the Conservative Party's problem. It's not the Westminster leadership who will take the hit in May, it's the Poor Bloody Infantry on local councils who will.

Meanwhile, I stick to my theory that when Boris's hair goes, he goes. Baldy Boris latest;

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

This is why the Conservatives need to be out at the next election. They are still putting party above country. This is dangerously stupid.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796

I hope that Philip Davies isn't about to cross the floor.

I don't think I could cope with having to vote for him at the next election!

Tbf, I could vote for Simon Hoare if he crossed the floor (not that he ever would). He's not a bad guy at heart and a good constituency MP by all accounts.

Of course if he wants to keep his job in this constituency, crossing the floor is the last thing he should do.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

This is why the Conservatives need to be out at the next election. They are still putting party above country. This is dangerously stupid.
    Yep. They are basically prepared to let one of the most unfit persons ever to be anywhere near being PM continue until late May.
  • Options
    But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited January 2022

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Translation: We don't want to move and will present our lack of action as part of a genius plan rather than indecisiveness.

Waiting to let the current leader take the hit is along the same lines as 'good election to lose' or 'we'd rather the PM remain in place' - yes, it might technically make some sense, but since you cannot predict the future perfectly, you'd always prefer to remove a bad leader sooner if you can, you'd prefer to win an election and hope you overcome bad stuff than lose one, and you'd prefer the glory of taking down/seeing off a PM than worry about the possibility a replacement might do better.

You take a win if you can. If you don't even try for it, you don't really want it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited January 2022

From lockdown ultra fanatic to 'get on with our lives'. Incredible. Devi Sridhar.

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I wouldn't mind giving Devi a bit of my, er, viral "load" :naughty:

EDIT: Ooops! Wrong forum! :innocent:
  • Options

Tbf, I could vote for Simon Hoare if he crossed the floor (not that he ever would). He's not a bad guy at heart and a good constituency MP by all accounts.

Of course if he wants to keep his job in this constituency, crossing the floor is the last thing he should do.
    Simon Hoare is excellent.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Yep. They are basically prepared to let one of the most unfit persons ever to be anywhere near being PM continue until late May.
    You say that, bus his government have delivered what you want: end of COVID. Don't underestimate what they've achieved in the last six weeks.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,139

Quite the match at Filbert Street or whatever it’s called nowadays!

They wanted to call it The Walkers Bowl. But everyone either laughed or complained.
    I honestly think these new grounds should just use their old name a la Millwall (The (New) Den). The King Power is just such a shite name.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Hmm. Doesn't sound too convincing to me. They might be weaker in May, and the PM may be stronger, for any old reason, and despite the odds, with the cost-of-living crisis. It's an apt case for the over-used cliche events, dear boy, events.
  • Options

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I wouldn't mind giving Devi a bit of my, er, viral "load" :naughty:

EDIT: Ooops! Wrong forum! :innocent:
    U = U old bean
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,313

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

Bit unfair on Devi. She was never one of the worst and has been on a journey throughout.
    Pagel on the other hand is still essentially calling for restrictions forever. Her followers are the biggest set of bedwetters you will ever see. They will be wearing masks forever. They are now suggesting that we all need respirators, not just masks. They have truly jumped the shark.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

I havn’t much to go on. But my brother is obsessed with Templars. He says Cromwell was a Freemason 🤷‍♀️

It’s to do with those who love magnacarta. The night King John signed it he stayed with knight Templar. And at that time they wrote all the laws?

I know very little about the Civil War era (it's never been something I found interesting)
    His Scottish genes.
    Didn't seem to work for his father and to a rather lesser extent his grandfather or brother.
    I thought his brother also had mistresses. But he felt so guilty, he made sure they were all unattractive.
    Do you mean, out of only the ones in Whitehall? There were plenty in Scotland before them. And of course in France and Italy after, but I've never been interested in the Malignants enough to sniff their sheets so to speak. Though Chas II and Jas VII/II had some interesting nautical interests and Chas II in science.
    Jamie Saxt liked a well turned out male leg. His strictures against sodomy are somewhat reminiscent of Southern US tv evangelists who recommend dancing away the gay..
    Bit hard on the women. Especially the ones who got done for witchcraft. North Berwick has never been livelier.

Seriously: the dissonance between a douce family resort/commuterland and what happened then is astounding.
    It is.
    I have some reservations about campaigns for antepost apologies but if the one concerning what was done to women accused of witchcraft brings the events to public attention, I'm all for it.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MaxPB said:

What a match, sorry @Foxy.

It would have been a complete injustice had Tottenham lost, although they wasted so many chances in the first half.

An amazing finish - apparently the Premier League record for a late turnover in the lead (95 mins). Man City held the previous record in the famous title winning game vs QPR (91 mins).

Edit: It might be an all time top flight record for a lead turnover. I guess people will be checking the history books.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Simon Hoare is excellent.
    Funnily enough, knew him at uni. Full time politician but certainly not someone who is malicious
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

When the alternative is your salary is halved or more, ingenuity knows no bounds.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2022
    Alistair's SA Update

From Week 2 pessimism to Week 2 joy. Admissions are down 26% week on week and deaths are down 10% (the first time deaths have been down in almost 2 months).

When I issued my first projection this time last week I had admissions flat and deaths up!

Will be interesting to see where the SA excess deaths graphs go given how badly underreported Covid deaths are in SA
    https://www.samrc.ac.za/reports/report-weekly-deaths-south-africa
  • Options
    Have just watched PMQs having heard bits of it earlier. With a cross the floor defection at the start, Boris utterly losing it and banging away at the dispatch box having sat flipping though the folder looking for his record of achievement and then DD of the SS quoting Leo Amery it was some session.

Three takeaways:
    Watching Starmer tear Johnson apart with swagger, humour and mocking contempt I was reminded of Blair going after Major. As the latter's government fell apart round him I remember Blair eviscerating the PM and this has a very similar vibe
    Hoyle no longer cares about the supposed courtesies of the House as the Treasury Bench has repeatedly shown its own abject contempt for them. Seems to be open season in there - call the PM a liar, its allowed. Mention HMQ, its allowed. Tories likely upset but as ye sow, so shall ye reap...
    Johnson not knowing the quote - an abject lie from the most recent of Churchill biographers
  • Options

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

She abandoned zerocovidianism long ago. This just completes her journey. I think she’s quite rational - she changes her view when the facts change.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited January 2022

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

Bit unfair on Devi. She was never one of the worst and has been on a journey throughout.
    Pagel on the other hand is still essentially calling for restrictions forever. Her followers are the biggest set of bedwetters you will ever see. They will be wearing masks forever. They are now suggesting that we all need respirators, not just masks. They have truly jumped the shark.
    They all seem to believe that every time they send their child to school there is an evens chance that they are going to return with the equivalent of Ebola.

It is shameful the way that the reality that those who have arguably suffered the most through non-medical consequences of the actions to combat Covid ie. children have been co-opted in some quarter to terrify parents into believing that they are actually at serious medical risk and the measures taken are actually in their interests.

The way that figures showing a relatively tiny number of children having sadly died of(/with? not sure) Covid (of which we should be thanking our lucky stars - imagine a pandemic on this scale that was killing children in their thousands - not sure we'd ever escape) is being turned on it's head to claim that children are apparently significant medical victims and it is they being put at risk directly every time they are sent to school.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

They wanted to call it The Walkers Bowl. But everyone either laughed or complained.
    I guess in the planning archives and original models there is a full set of original unsponsored names for all these new stadia, some sort of known, some used, some forgotten in the mists of time:

Ashburton Grove, Eastlands, Filbert Way, New Leeds Road, Falmer, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Archibald Leitch must have been spinning in his grave these last couple of decades.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Well they were prepared to make him pm in exchange for an 80 seat majority, so we shouldn’t be surprised.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I don't think anyone on PB has actually read and understood what Sridhar has been arguing over the least 2 years now or followed her thinking. This is completely expected. The idea this is a u-turn by her is so out there that I assume Melville hasn't either.
    I have, see my post. She is very much not a lockdown forever fanatic.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

A logical one, though. When vaccines didn't exist it NPIs were necessary. Now that we have freely available vaccines that give us a huge reduction in severity the need for NPIs has disappeared. A lot of people on PB have the same view, I'm very much in that camp, I recognise that lockdowns and other measures were necessary at varying degrees until around May/June 2021. Since then we haven't needed them and we won't need them in the future.

There's no future where we eradicate COVID so why spend GDP to try and do that?
    Yes, that encapsulates my view too. As I write above, I think she’s very rational. Kudos to her for penning the piece.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Biden says "It's one thing if it's a minor incursion... but if they actually do what they're capable of doing... it is going to be a disaster for Russia, if they invade Ukraine." Promises "heavy" and "real" penalties.

https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/status/1483915239624216580
  • Options
    Alistair said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I don't think anyone on PB has actually read and understood what Sridhar has been arguing over the least 2 years now or followed her thinking. This is completely expected. The idea this is a u-turn by her is so out there that I assume Melville hasn't either.
    +1
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,378

Have just watched PMQs having heard bits of it earlier. With a cross the floor defection at the start, Boris utterly losing it and banging away at the dispatch box having sat flipping though the folder looking for his record of achievement and then DD of the SS quoting Leo Amery it was some session.

Three takeaways:
    Watching Starmer tear Johnson apart with swagger, humour and mocking contempt I was reminded of Blair going after Major. As the latter's government fell apart round him I remember Blair eviscerating the PM and this has a very similar vibe
    Hoyle no longer cares about the supposed courtesies of the House as the Treasury Bench has repeatedly shown its own abject contempt for them. Seems to be open season in there - call the PM a liar, its allowed. Mention HMQ, its allowed. Tories likely upset but as ye sow, so shall ye reap...
    Johnson not knowing the quote - an abject lie from the most recent of Churchill biographers

To be fair, he may not know the quote - by all accounts his Churchill biography is terrible, riddled with errors a GCSE history student would be embarrassed by, and as much about making the case for its author's greatness as its subject.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Has anyone ever crossed the floor twice (as in, crossed and crossed back) in a single Parliament? Did one of the CUKs do it?
    Not sure actually. Also, this is from Canada, would be interesting to see if applies here:

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/fr/magazines/september-2018/research-shows-that-mps-who-cross-the-floor-lose-votes/
    In USA party-switching politicos generally do so because their political and esp. electoral base has shifted significantly. Of course they quite often share same sentiments, but also have added incentive of wishing to be re-elected, or elected to higher office.

Also instances where the thwarting of career or policy goals (or both) leads to switching (think WSC was case in point). Sometimes with pro-active or re-active incentives from the other side of the aisle.

Former Texas Governor, US Energy Secretary and GOP candidate for President (sort of) Rick Perry is example of shift by conservative Democrats > Republican across the South in late 20th century.

A few notable or at least recent examples from Pacific North West:

> Wayne Morris of Oregon, elected US Senator first as a Republican but switched parties in late 1950s, won re-election several times, and became grand old man (and curmudgeon) of Beaver State Democratic Party

> Peter von Reichbauer, elected WA state senator as a Democrat, but switched to GOP in 1980s in middle of legislative session, thus upending Ds in leadership (and staff) and replacing them with Republicans over-night; today is many-termed incumbent (and officially nonpartisan) member of King County Council.

> Dan Satterberg, first elected and re-elected King County Prosecutor as Republican, but switched to Democratic Party in 2016, in reaction against Trump AND in response to voting trend in King Co.

NOT a simple operation to accomplish successfully; takes the right combination of personality and circumstance. Certainly helps IF you are part of a mass or (even semi-mass) movement, that is, if "everybody's doing it now".
  • Options

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Well they were prepared to make him pm in exchange for an 80 seat majority, so we shouldn’t be surprised.
    I'm not sure that comparison works. They were prepared to make him PM to win, that's rational even if people disliked their trade off, and it actually worked. Being prepared to keep him as PM if they think he is the cause of them losingis a different matter altogether.

Either he's an asset or he isn't. If he is, don't contemplate changing him and power on through. If he is no longer an asset, is the harm he is causing by remaining until May less than the benefit of a new leader starting with a fresh slate after May? I suppose they could think that, but its far more of a gamble.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Biden says the quiet bit out loud: a US concerned primarily with China would tolerate a "minor incursion" into Ukraine by Russia.

Meanwhile the EU is debating whether it even does geopolitics.

If you were Putin - leader of a weak state in a window of strength - you'd go for it.

https://twitter.com/jeremycliffe/status/1483926029446037507?s=21
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

I honestly think these new grounds should just use their old name a la Millwall (The (New) Den). The King Power is just such a shite name.
    Livingston Football Club play at what used to be Almondvale Stadium and is now the Toni Macaroni Arena, which is just plain FUNNY as far I am concerned.
  • Options

Biden says "It's one thing if it's a minor incursion... but if they actually do what they're capable of doing... it is going to be a disaster for Russia, if they invade Ukraine." Promises "heavy" and "real" penalties.

https://twitter.com/DefenseBaron/status/1483915239624216580

Well the last set of minor incursions went fine, so start drawing the line a bit further west I guess?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    I have some reservations about campaigns for antepost apologies but if the one concerning what was done to women accused of witchcraft brings the events to public attention, I'm all for it.
    There's a website which has collated all the records, like the British Slavery one, in which you can look up your friendly local (or indeed any) Colston (it has proved extremely useful, if sobering, for some local historical research). This accused women one has a map so you can find out who got burnt alive down the road (almost literally so in my case).

Edit: here it is

https://witches.is.ed.ac.uk/
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I guess in the planning archives and original models there is a full set of original unsponsored names for all these new stadia, some sort of known, some used, some forgotten in the mists of time:

Ashburton Grove, Eastlands, Filbert Way, New Leeds Road, Falmer, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Archibald Leitch must have been spinning in his grave these last couple of decades.
    Glad someone remembers Archie!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

When the alternative is your salary is halved or more, ingenuity knows no bounds.
    Being an MP isn't that well paid. I would expect most people take a meaningful paycut to be an MP. (Certainly, @Tissue_Price will have seen a pretty big drop.)
  • Options

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I made the mistake of looking at Pagel’s feed the other day. Not for the faint hearted.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,631
    Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

My very first thought seeing Sunak sat beside Boris today was they are calling off the putsch - no more Norman.
  • Options

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Tory MPs defecting to Labour might look good daan saaf, but the optics are dreadful north of the border.

BTW, just noticed this: some comrades up north not impressed.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19859282.scottish-labour-members-fury-christian-wakeford-defection/
  • Options

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Not sure actually. Also, this is from Canada, would be interesting to see if applies here:

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/fr/magazines/september-2018/research-shows-that-mps-who-cross-the-floor-lose-votes/
    In USA party-switching politicos generally do so because their political and esp. electoral base has shifted significantly. Of course they quite often share same sentiments, but also have added incentive of wishing to be re-elected, or elected to higher office.

Also instances where the thwarting of career or policy goals (or both) leads to switching (think WSC was case in point). Sometimes with pro-active or re-active incentives from the other side of the aisle.

Former Texas Governor, US Energy Secretary and GOP candidate for President (sort of) Rick Perry is example of shift by conservative Democrats > Republican across the South in late 20th century.

> Wayne Morris of Oregon, elected US Senator first as a Republican but switched parties in late 1950s, won re-election several times, and became grand old man (and curmudgeon) of Beaver State Democratic Party

> Peter von Reichbauer, elected WA state senator as a Democrat, but switched to GOP in 1980s in middle of legislative session, thus upending Ds in leadership (and staff) and replacing them with Republicans over-night; today is many-termed incumbent (and officially nonpartisan) member of King County Council.

> Dan Satterberg, first elected and re-elected King County Prosecutor as Republican, but switched to Democratic Party in 2016, in reaction against Trump AND in response to voting trend in King Co.

NOT a simple operation to accomplish successfully; takes the right combination of personality and circumstance. Certainly helps IF you are part of a mass or (even semi-mass) movement, that is, if "everybody's doing it now".
    Did Trump not switch allegiance about ten times?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

So are you of the belief, that large portion of Winston Chuchill's strategy as an author, was using his political career to build his readership AND royalties? He is after all the most famous re-ratter in British parliamentary history.

Makes sense to me!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Tory MPs defecting to Labour might look good daan saaf, but the optics are dreadful north of the border.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19859282.scottish-labour-members-fury-christian-wakeford-defection/
    Hadn’t seen that, but hardly surprising. Scottish Labour could do without this.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,013

Livingston Football Club play at what used to be Almondvale Stadium and is now the Toni Macaroni Arena, which is just plain FUNNY as far I am concerned.
    Featherstone Rovers played at the Chris Moyles Arena for a while.
    It's still the same Post Office Road as always. Though greatly done up into a fine little stadium.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    There's a website which has collated all the records, like the British Slavery one, in which you can look up your friendly local (or indeed any) Colston (it has proved extremely useful, if sobering, for some local historical research). This accused women one has a map so you can find out who got burnt alive down the road (almost literally so in my case).
    IIRC from my university days the interesting thing about the witch trial craze was how different it panned out in different places. Some were much harsher on punishments than others, or even had acquittals, depending on how gung ho they were, some had a higher proportion of men as the target than others (though I cannot recall if anywhere actually had a majority, but in general nowhere near of course), but simplistic takes on it tend to make it seem uniform.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Do you think that Labour might lose control of Scotland as a result of this defection?
  • Options

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

I made the mistake of looking at Pagel’s feed the other day. Not for the faint hearted.
    It’s fascinating, but not in a good way. I think we all have our positions on the scale of where we are with Covid. I’m pretty blasé, triple jabbed, been very exposed at work throughout. Others a bit more concerned, possibly those with more reason to worry.
    But those followers of hers are something else. I suspect some of them have not left the house since March 2020.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Eastlands is in common usage.

I just call Ashburton Grove, Highbury. It’s near enough in Highbury after all.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Never mind up here north of the wall, there are some absolutely brilliant headbanging comments out there on Twitter. Seemingly HY and the Corbyn Cult are of the same ilk - we don't want your votes, we don't need your votes.

Neither seem interested in actually winning an election. Tory to Labour switchers are *essential* of Starmer is to reverse the Corbyn apocalypse in a single electoral cycle.
  • Options

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Surely he has always been loyal to his wallet?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Do you think that Labour might lose control of Scotland as a result of this defection?
    I obviuously need to go to bed. I read that as if Slab were in control of Scotland ...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

I take it that the SNP would refuse for someone who was a Tory switching over to the cause? Bar them from voting for you?

Its cobblers. ALL parties want defections. Especially from the enemy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Translation: We don't want to move and will present our lack of action as part of a genius plan rather than indecisiveness.

Waiting to let the current leader take the hit is along the same lines as 'good election to lose' or 'we'd rather the PM remain in place' - yes, it might technically make some sense, but since you cannot predict the future perfectly, you'd always prefer to remove a bad leader sooner if you can, you'd prefer to win an election and hope you overcome bad stuff than lose one, and you'd prefer the glory of taking down/seeing off a PM than worry about the possibility a replacement might do better.

You take a win if you can. If you don't even try for it, you don't really want it.
    Yes. The problem comes if we have a major incident. Terrorist attack or natural disaster or some such.
    A significant number of the Party think he's unfit for office. How can the public have confidence?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    IIRC from my university days the interesting thing about the witch trial craze was how different it panned out in different places. Some were much harsher on punishments than others, or even had acquittals, depending on how gung ho they were, some had a higher proportion of men as the target than others (though I cannot recall if anywhere actually had a majority, but in general nowhere near of course), but simplistic takes on it tend to make it seem uniform.
    In the U.K. most ‘witches’* were hung, not burned.

*They were not witches of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    Haven't read anything much about it: but just looking at that map - it's amazing how many trials there were in wee bittie places and not so many elsewhere. I mean, 21 in Humbie!

https://witches.is.ed.ac.uk/
  • Options

You mean Meadowbank?
    Aka Ferranti.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Being an MP isn't that well paid. I would expect most people take a meaningful paycut to be an MP. (Certainly, @Tissue_Price will have seen a pretty big drop.)
    But honours, gongs and influence will come his way if he is a loyal follower of the party line. I am still waiting for Lord FUD of Epping to be ennobled....
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    Haven't read anything much about it: but just looking at that map - it's amazing how many trials there were in wee bittie places and not so many elsewhere. I mean, 21 in Humbie!
    My vague recollection was that Scotland was on the gung ho end of the spectrum, which might account for that in such a small place if true. Definitely the sign of a disharmonious community in Humbie!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

I obviuously need to go to bed. I read that as if Slab were in control of Scotland ...
    :D:D:D
  • Options

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

My very first thought seeing Sunak sat beside Boris today was they are calling off the putsch - no more Norman.
    Sunak's absolutely shat the bed on this. So close, Rishi.
    He will look back on this week with regret, I'm sure of it.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Jim Murphy won that particular trophy.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

It's still the same Post Office Road as always. Though greatly done up into a fine little stadium.
    The Chris Moyles Arena?? As in the larger than life radio one DJ? WTAF?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Rishi Miliband?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

You mean Meadowbank?
    Aka Ferranti.
    I think Almondvale was a new stadium which came after Meadowbank? Though I could be wrong - not a Livi expert, I just love the fact that they play at the Toni Macaroni Arena.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.

Hanged. And tbf some of them may well have been witches, not that that justifies their treatment.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

And where is his James Purnell?

• Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

Rishi Miliband?
    Miliband at least went for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.
    My vague recollection was that Scotland was on the gung ho end of the spectrum, which might account for that in such a small place if true. Definitely the sign of a disharmonious community in Humbie!
    Friend of mine moved to England, Littleport near Ely. Startled to find the most famous resident was the Witchfinder General. But yes, the "witches" did not have a good time in much of Scotland.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,908
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    16m

It’s amazing how events have panned out. Is it over? Every time Boris relaxes, something else happens.
  • Options
    Talking of rubbish corporate name for stadiums - was St James Park officially know as a Sports Direct URL at one point??

• Options
    Just laid Sunak at 2.7 to rebalance a tad.

There is a tide and so on...

• Options
    edited January 2022

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

His Scottish genes.

It is.

PB Pedantry: not the UK legally or administratively, apart from the tail end after 1707. Or ecclesiastically, which had a lot to do with it AIUI. The contrast and compare would be highly instructive.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Yep. He sponsored it.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    46s
    Thursday’s Daily MAIL: “Boris And Carrie’s Baby Hit By Covid” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Republican (1987–1999)
    Reform (1999–2001)
    Democratic (2001–2009)
    Republican (2009–2011)
    Independent (2011–2012)
    Republican (2012–present)

pre-1987 ?
  • Options
    More lies?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,168

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

I take it that the SNP would refuse for someone who was a Tory switching over to the cause? Bar them from voting for you?

Wonder if we'd get any SNP to Labour defections if the polls ever shifted back in SLAB's direction.
  • Options

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Only once that I can recall. But my observations are limited to politicos running for partisan office before as well as after switching parties.

In US some interesting judgement calls, for example Theodore Roosevelt, elected NY Gov & POTUS as Republican, broke with GOP via new Progressive Party aka Bull Moose, then returned to the fold and was leading contender for GOP nomination when he died.

CA Gov and US Chief Justice Earl Warren was Republican who was elected governor as BOTH a Republican AND a Democrat, thanks to "cross filing" and victory in both party primaries, which used to be a thing in the Golden State.

NY Congressman and NYC Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia was a progressive Republican who was forced by the byzantine nature of Empire State / Big Apple politics to run under a number of party labels, including at one time Socialist, which he definitely was NOT. He never ran as a Democrat, which is ironic considering that he was a big backer of FDR & the New Deal, and elected mayor with critical support from liberal, non-Tammy Democrats via "fusion" voting system (designed with guys like him in mind).
  • Options

James Melville
    @JamesMelville

It’s fascinating, but not in a good way. I think we all have our positions on the scale of where we are with Covid. I’m pretty blasé, triple jabbed, been very exposed at work throughout. Others a bit more concerned, possibly those with more reason to worry.
    But those followers of hers are something else. I suspect some of them have not left the house since March 2020.
    I seem to recall one bloke saying that he was on day 630-odd of self-imposed house arrest. What scared me was that it wasn’t obviously a spoof.
  • Options

You mean Meadowbank?
    Aka Ferranti.
    I think Almondvale was a new stadium which came after Meadowbank? Though I could be wrong - not a Livi expert, I just love the fact that they play at the Toni Macaroni Arena.
    Edinburgh City play at Meadowbank now.
  • Options

MrEd said:

ydoethur said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

Republican (1987–1999)
    Reform (1999–2001)
    Democratic (2001–2009)
    Republican (2009–2011)
    Independent (2011–2012)
    Republican (2012–present)

pre-1987 ?
    Is that his party registration, or announced candidate support, or something else?
  • Options

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

So are you of the belief, that large portion of Winston Chuchill's strategy as an author, was using his political career to build his readership AND royalties? He is after all the most famous re-ratter in British parliamentary history.

Makes sense to me!
    Oh for sure - Champagne and Cigars are not cheap!!!!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yep. He sponsored it.
    Is he that rich? I had no idea.

(I assume it costs a few bob)
  • Options
    Interesting that News at 10 went to Bury S and found some support for Boris
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Scott_xP said:

I think for most of us on here that is true but maybe not for many of those RW MPs who came from a more diverse background.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Iain Lawson is probably the most prominent Con to SNP defector that springs to mind; in the mid 1980s. But he’s since defected to Alba.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Yep. He sponsored it.
    Is he that rich? I had no idea.

(I assume it costs a few bob)
    Mea culpa. It seems from 2007-9 it was the Chris Moyles Stadium.
    He didn't pay but plugged their games on his breakfast show.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Poor Anas Sarwar.

Iain Lawson is probably the most prominent Con to SNP defector that springs to mind; in the mid 1980s. But he’s since defected to Alba.
    Given the numerical ratios, simply getting one Con or Slab defector would be very useful to the SNP. Disproportionately so, above all at Holyrood.

And also Luke 15 refers:

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Part 2.

With James being an indecent sex maniac?
  • Options

Interesting that News at 10 went to Bury S and found some support for Boris

From what I’ve seen, Wakeford is not necessarily a sympathetic character - his stated views are obviously out of kilter with Labour and it’s easy to characterise him as switching not from any point of principle but to save his skin. Not a good look.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited January 2022

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    ·
    46s
    Thursday’s Daily MAIL: “Boris And Carrie’s Baby Hit By Covid” #TomorrowsPapersToday

Would we be surprised if Boris actually have COVID again over New Year when he was AWOL? And that has got passed on to his baby, who then had a rough time of it?
  • Options
    Here's an article by Malcolm Gladwell from 1997 on the Spanish Flu: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/09/29/the-dead-zone

It's well worth reading (like most Gladwell stuff).
This discussion has been closed.