Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can anyone explain the mindset of anti-vaxxers like this? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited January 2022 in General
Can anyone explain the mindset of anti-vaxxers like this? – politicalbetting.com

Potty Piers needs to be sectioned https://t.co/aQwtxOV6Zl

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    DW - German case numbers are much higher than reported

There is a known long term shortage of personnel running the system and this shows during holidays as not enough people to do the testing or process the results. Potential collapse of the testing infrastructure in the coming weeks if infections increase.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7VPAvN61Q

But apparently the UK testing system is utter shit...it should be more like the Germans.
  • Nige Farage has joined the antivaxxers....no to anymore than 2 jabs apparently.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Clinically insane?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,727
    🔴 NEW: Sajid Javid has told MPs there will be "no quick fix" to the growing Covid testing crisis, with officials warning that the system will be overwhelmed within days

Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/29/covid-testing-tatters-sajid-javid-blames-huge-surge-demand/
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Evidence, as if it were needed, that the “common sense of the British people” is not an evenly distributed commodity. https://twitter.com/AlPinkerton/status/1476234206531436554/photo/1

Isn't that dip just because Scotland, Wales, and NI didn't issue reports for 4 days, while England did?
    On the ft.com/covid19 web page referenced in that image.

December 29 2021: Data for UK nations is not being displayed after December 24 due to incomplete data availability during the holiday period.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    Can I be the first to say:
    QTWTAIN.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited December 2021
    Titanic self regard at ability to spot hidden truths the mere sheeple cannot, a messiah and a martyr complex, with an unhealthy dash of enjoying the limelight for any reason and generous dollop of stupidity.

Edit: And yes, it may be argued it does not help to pour mockery on such moronic beliefs in the sense of getting them to change their minds, but at a point irrationality cannot be fought with rationality and mockering and ostracism is the only mitigation until it flares out on its own for the next conspiracy.
    I am reassured by the PB Brain Trust that BoZo is completely on top of things.

There is nothing to see here, and no cause for alarm.

Maybe he can even figure out where he was for the last 10 days..?
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

🔴 NEW: Sajid Javid has told MPs there will be "no quick fix" to the growing Covid testing crisis, with officials warning that the system will be overwhelmed within days

Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/29/covid-testing-tatters-sajid-javid-blames-huge-surge-demand/

"Boris Johnson was criticised for telling partygoers to get tested even though no PCR tests were available to book anywhere in England for much of Wednesday,"

This is just a lie....

I fully expect the system to be unable to cope at some point in the next week, especially after New Year when lots of people say can't be too careful.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

Nige Farage has joined the antivaxxers....no to anymore than 2 jabs apparently.

If only he had the same rule for pints.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,260
    Is that Boris in the hi-viz?

Oh, sorry, my mistake.

This is just a lie....

Tell that to the Telegraph...

Remember they used to print BoZo's columns
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,588
    I can explain the mindset of protestors such as these.

They start off talking to some people and before long the only people they communicate with on the subject of COVID are from a tighter and tighter group. More and more radical in their... beliefs. They spiral inwards until they disappear up their own arses. From which vantage point they throw shit at the rest of us.

This is exactly how all the other extremisms work. It's how the PIRA found Irish people to blow up pubs. It's how ISIS found Begum.

The process is self filtering. Most fall out of the "spiral" - which increases the "purity" of those that remain.

What you have in the header, is triple distilled nutters.
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Have you worked out how much of a plonker your retweet looked yet...or do we need to explain it carefully to you?
  • Scott_xP said:

Having now watched the interview question I am perfectly content that he was in the UK. See how his tanned face shows no confusion, hesitation or embarrassment when he instantly replies "in this country".

Only traitors would look at his face, his body language and hear his stuttering eventual answer and conclude that he fucked off to Mustique.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different

Who said Delta is nothing to worry about?
    I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
    That's not the same thing, is it?
    My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people
    You keep making these massive sweeping generalisations.
    I have generally preferred not to make generalisations.

And with that, good night.
    But the French elite are so paranoid about Brexit, so allergic to it and fearful of it, they set a low bar for its success. Britain surviving intact and not starving to death will probably seem quite successful to them. given their direful predictions of total British implosion.

Then the next time the EU does something widely unpopular, eurosceptics across the continent will start to look longingly at independent London.

This is the great French fear. By this guy's account it does stalk their nightmares.
    The French are trying to restrict travel to essential only.
    By blocking British residents of Belgium or the Netherlands who want to use EuroTunnel and transit France?
    Are the blocking British? Or just anyone who isn't EU/Schengen?
    Travel from the UK to France

URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca
    Exactly. They aren't treating us differently. They're applying the 3rd country rules which our government demanded be imposed upon us.
    What’s the warning

Be careful what you wish for - it may become true.
    edited December 2021

Unfortunately I know quite a few people who have adopted the idea that the need for a booster means the whole exercise was pointless and we are no better off now than we were last winter. In some it even flirts with become outright anti-vaxxers with leading 'questions' about how strange it is you can get a virus without symptoms, or how weird it is we don't personally know more people who have it if it is so prevalent.

Quite often the same people get a flu jab every year, and as others have noted whilst Covid is not flu, why getting annual jabs for the latter is ok but repeated covid jabs is not is bizarre.
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Its a lie....We did this earlier. And every day for the past 3-4 days. Slots are made available, they fill up. At midday they release more slots. I looked there were slots available everywhere. Its a deliberate demand management strategy and the media have been told this repeatedly.

Will the system finally fall over at some point, I am sure it will. You have to pick some limit and 900k PCR test capacity is extremely large, but I am pretty sure it won't take much of something to go wrong and the elastic to finally snap.

And people are treating LFT tests like sweeties, some doing multiple a day or just doing them daily because why not, they are free. Then running out and getting pissed off they can't get another 20 of them instantly. It is clear there is very large demand and so take some personal responsibility and plan to use them when necessary.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    glw said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Evidence, as if it were needed, that the “common sense of the British people” is not an evenly distributed commodity. https://twitter.com/AlPinkerton/status/1476234206531436554/photo/1

Isn't that dip just because Scotland, Wales, and NI didn't issue reports for 4 days, while England did?

December 29 2021: Data for UK nations is not being displayed after December 24 due to incomplete data availability during the holiday period.
    The values on that FT graph appear to bear no relation to the seven day case rates by specimen date reported on the Covid dashboard at all. The numbers are all wrong, England isn't light years ahead of the rest of the country in terms of case rate, and case rates in the rest of the country are, based on the most recent figures available, climbing faster than those in England, not falling back.

There may or may not be a sensible explanation for their numbers, but if there is one I can't yet see what it is.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,952
    Scott_xP said:

Take the view that anyone with a rasping voice and sore throat has at least a 50/50 chance of having Covid - and react as if they did. Limit the limited testing capability to check if they really do have Covid for a widely defined set of "key workers".

Oh, and get the new Omicron symptoms more widely reported. Use Chris Witty on the telly, telling us what to look for.

• eek said:

FPT

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The same people that said Delta was nothing to worry about, are those that are saying Omicron is nothing to worry about.

So is anyone who said Delta was nothing to worry about, going to stick their head up and say this is different

Who said Delta is nothing to worry about?
    I don't recall you calling for a lockdown when Delta was around, we didn't need one was what you and several others said. I remember arguing with you about it
    That's not the same thing, is it?
    My point is you were wrong then and so I am interested in people that did call for a lockdown then who don't think there is anything to worry about now.

What I am hearing now is the same people that initially said "nothing to worry about" then said "lockdown isn't needed" then said "lockdown 2.0 isn't needed". It's the same people
    You keep making these massive sweeping generalisations.
    I have generally preferred not to make generalisations.

And with that, good night.
    But the French elite are so paranoid about Brexit, so allergic to it and fearful of it, they set a low bar for its success. Britain surviving intact and not starving to death will probably seem quite successful to them. given their direful predictions of total British implosion.

Then the next time the EU does something widely unpopular, eurosceptics across the continent will start to look longingly at independent London.

This is the great French fear. By this guy's account it does stalk their nightmares.
    The French are trying to restrict travel to essential only.
    By blocking British residents of Belgium or the Netherlands who want to use EuroTunnel and transit France?
    Are the blocking British? Or just anyone who isn't EU/Schengen?
    Travel from the UK to France

URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU

Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/#foca
    Exactly. They aren't treating us differently. They're applying the 3rd country rules which our government demanded be imposed upon us.
    What’s the warning

Be careful what you wish for - it may become true.
    I don't understand the complaints. What did they think "3rd country" meant? This is what they demanded and they've succeeded in being treated thus.

Just wait until next week when the usual suspects try and blame the French for our lack of Border Control Posts, staff or computers.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    Scott_xP said:

Looking calmly ahead for a moment, unless we get to a situation which normalises a pandemic as an endemic condition pretty quickly - say by mid 2022 - we are all going to go mad. This requires both facts (nearly everyone has had it, been vaccinated and continues to be, is a special case so in hiding, is already dead, or is in the Piers Corbyn camp so willingly accepts whatever comes their way from benign mother nature) and a collective effort of the will to see the matter in the same light as flu and other things which are around and can kill, but don't kill most of the people most of the time.

The availability of testing is, for this future purpose, almost worthless. I should think there are literally millions of people who have (quietly) not yet Covid tested themselves on a single occasion. Let's get used to it.
    pigeon said:

glw said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The values on that FT graph appear to bear no relation to the seven day case rates by specimen date reported on the Covid dashboard at all. The numbers are all wrong, England isn't light years ahead of the rest of the country in terms of case rate, and case rates in the rest of the country are, based on the most recent figures available, climbing faster than those in England, not falling back.

There may or may not be a sensible explanation for their numbers, but if there is one I can't yet see what it is.
    At a random guess -

1) They are doing the seven day rolling calculation themselves.
    2) They sum up the last seven days of data. Missing data = 0
    3) So Scotland et. al. not reporting meant that they had 6 days of data / 7 then 5 days of data / 7 ........
  • Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Its a lie....We did this earlier. And every day for the past 3-4 days. Slots are made available, they fill up. At midday they release more slots. I looked there were slots available everywhere. Its a deliberate demand management strategy and the media have been told this repeatedly.

Will the system finally fall over at some point, I am sure it will. You have to pick some limit and 900k PCR test capacity is extremely large, but I am pretty sure it won't take much of something to go wrong and the elastic to finally snap.

And people are treating LFT tests like sweeties, some doing multiple a day or just doing them daily because why not, they are free. Then running out and getting pissed off they can't get another 20 of them instantly. It is clear there is very large demand and so take some personal responsibility and plan to use them when necessary.
    My friend in Newcastle tried to book a PCR at 3pm. Was offered only Kelso at 3:30 - nothing else available.
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Looking calmly ahead for a moment, unless we get to a situation which normalises a pandemic as an endemic condition pretty quickly - say by mid 2022 - we are all going to go mad. This requires both facts (nearly everyone has had it, been vaccinated and continues to be, is a special case so in hiding, is already dead, or is in the Piers Corbyn camp so willingly accepts whatever comes their way from benign mother nature) and a collective effort of the will to see the matter in the same light as flu and other things which are around and can kill, but don't kill most of the people most of the time.

The availability of testing is, for this future purpose, almost worthless. I should think there are literally millions of people who have (quietly) not yet Covid tested themselves on a single occasion. Let's get used to it.
    I've not yet had a Covid test. But then I don't go out much. ;)
  • Scott_xP said:

I have a few simple and quick fixes:
    1. Stop advising the asymptomatic to get tested unnecessarily.
    2. Take the American CDC advice of saying the asymptomatic can stop isolating on day 5 (no testing necessary).
    3. Or even better drop isolation altogether.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    This is a consequence of trying to force people in to getting vaccinated. You can get some people to comply, but then it hardens the views of a another small minority who become consumed by conspiracy theories like these people.

pigeon said:

glw said:

FPT:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

At a random guess -

1) They are doing the seven day rolling calculation themselves.
    2) They sum up the last seven days of data. Missing data = 0
    3) So Scotland et. al. not reporting meant that they had 6 days of data / 7 then 5 days of data / 7 ........
    But why would you do that when you can just pull the numbers straight off gov.uk?

And the scale of the graph looks like it's plain wrong. The most recently reported Scottish 7-day case rate, for example, is over a thousand. Not in the low sixties.
    edited December 2021

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

My friend in Newcastle tried to book a PCR at 3pm. Was offered only Kelso at 3:30 - nothing else available.
    The claim was no PCR tests anywhere for much of the day. That just isn't true. They were available until mid morning and then when I checked at 12, at 1, at 2....they were available everywhere.

The media have done this every day for the past 3-4 days. They log on mid morning or see a tweet that says no tests....they write a load of stories, knowing at midday a load more become available.

There is definitely huge demand and they are working at near max capacity, but to claim nope you couldn't book anywhere basically all day is just untrue.

As I also said, I fully expect the elastic to pop at some point in the next week. But the UK is trying to do 1.5-2 million tests a day, nobody in Europe is trying this, especially not over the Christmas holidays.

I give credit where its due, UK testing system is very very good. Everybody laughed at Boris last Christmas when he said everybody would do a test before going to the footy or the theatre. Now, its why can't I do 4 a day....
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Scott_xP said:

Oh, I’ve absolutely no confidence in Bojo. But let’s not pretend some of these issues are England only
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Endillion said:

Can I be the first to say:
    QTWTAIN.

No
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874

Scott_xP said:

Having now watched the interview question I am perfectly content that he was in the UK. See how his tanned face shows no confusion, hesitation or embarrassment when he instantly replies "in this country".

Only traitors would look at his face, his body language and hear his stuttering eventual answer and conclude that he fucked off to Mustique.
    Quite frankly I couldn’t give a shit if he’s been in Mustique, or anywhere else over Christmas. No travel restrictions from this end, so who cares.
    Now if he’s lied about it, then that’s different. I mean why? Why lie?
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    We are a very tolerant nation but the choices that have made by anti-vaxxers have already resulted in significant adverse consequences for a significant number of UK citizens.

The NHS is struggling to provide normal, safe care. People needing urgent treatment are not able to receive that treatment in the same timely fashion as usual and as a result some will die earlier than would otherwise have been the case. For example people with suspected or known cancer or heart failure, requiring investigation or treatment. How is this fair?

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

I disagree re. LFTs. People are using them exactly as intended

Scott_xP said:

Oh, I’ve absolutely no confidence in Bojo. But let’s not pretend some of these issues are England only
    The UK has conducted 397,452,442 virus tests todate. Not sure they've done all that much to help,

Scott_xP said:

Scott 'n Paste forgot the first rule of CtrlC/CtrlV club. Read it first, to check if it is insane or not.
    stjohn said:

We are a very tolerant nation but the choices that have made by anti-vaxxers have already resulted in significant adverse consequences for a significant number of UK citizens.

The NHS is struggling to provide normal, safe care. People needing urgent treatment are not able to receive that treatment in the same timely fashion as usual and as a result some will die earlier than would otherwise have been the case. For example people with suspected or known cancer or heart failure, requiring investigation or treatment. How is this fair?

I suspect the feelings towards them will continue to harden, especially if new restrictions are imposed.
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

I’ll confess I’ve taken 6(six) lateral flow tests, despite exhortations from work to test twice a week, and the government to test before meeting up with people. On the other hand I know of people testing every day.
    It’s probably time to stop the routine, home testing and get it back to what it should be, a diagnostic tool for hospitals.
    Might free up some cash too...
    TELEGRAPH FRONT: Don’t mention Brexit, civil servants are told #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1476309259935748100/photo/1
  • Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

The claim was no PCR tests anywhere for much of the day. That just isn't true. They were available until mid morning and then when I checked at 12, at 1, at 2....they were available everywhere.

The media have done this every day for the past 3-4 days. They log on mid morning or see a tweet that says no tests....they write a load of stories, knowing at midday a load more become available.

There is definitely huge demand and they are working at near max capacity, but to claim nope you couldn't book anywhere basically all day is just untrue.

As I also said, I fully expect the elastic to pop at some point in the next week. But the UK is trying to do 1.5-2 million tests a day, nobody in Europe is trying this.
    Sure - the claim of no tests anywhere is bollocks. Conversely the defence of "all tests available everywhere" is also bollocks. Ask the Saj. Or the NHS. They're well short of testing capacity and its getting worse.
    TELEGRAPH: Testing in tatters as ⁦@sajidjavid⁩ blames huge surge in demand #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1476308838412427271/photo/1
  • I am currently "isolating". Since I live alone and WFH, there is little difference to my usual life except I now get groceries online.
    I was at my son's over Xmas and he has had a positive PCR. He has not had a booster yet.
    I have a negative LFT, been boosted and I feel fine, but still have to isolate for 10 days.
    I have been requested via the app to take a PCR test, but apparently I should still isolate even if that is negative too, so what's the point in taking one?
    Vaccines work, boosters work. And Johnson, Sturgeon and Drakeford being absolute CU Next Tuesdays with the restrictions doesn't change that.
    I am coming to the conclusion that Track & Trace is simply stopping healthy people from working.
  • Scott_xP said:

Quite frankly I couldn’t give a shit if he’s been in Mustique, or anywhere else over Christmas. No travel restrictions from this end, so who cares.
    And thats the point. Why is he lying? Whats worse, why is he so obviously lying? He can't even make a pretence of what he's saying to be true.
    I was in the UK...

• Looks like a right old muddle:

The French government’s website still appears to suggest that British nationals can travel via France if they live in the EU. On the “Brits in Brussels” Facebook page, several people said that they had been able to travel through the Eurotunnel on Wednesday.

A press officer for the French Interior Ministry contacted by POLITICO on Wednesday couldn’t confirm or deny the information and pointed to guidance online.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-based-brits-cant-travel-home-via-eurotunnel-company-warns/amp/

Scott_xP said:

Scott 'n Paste forgot the first rule of CtrlC/CtrlV club. Read it first, to check if it is insane or not.
    Can one man really read that many tweets? I think he'd have to hire an intern.
  • Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

As I also said, I fully expect the elastic to pop at some point in the next week. But the UK is trying to do 1.5-2 million tests a day, nobody in Europe is trying this.
    Sure - the claim of no tests anywhere is bollocks. Conversely the defence of "all tests available everywhere" is also bollocks. Ask the Saj. Or the NHS. They're well short of testing capacity and its getting worse.
    Over a million tests a day are being done. If there's a capacity issue then how about working to reduce demand so demand is met by the capacity is available?

Isn't that the pro-lockdowners logic that you love? Manage demand rather than supply?
  • Scott_xP said:

At a guess, Boris is telling the truth he has been in this country but if at Chequers (where PMs normally spend Christmas) and/or Downing Street for ten days, he could have said. So what is there to hide? Partying with squillionaire Tory donors?
    darkage said:

This is a consequence of trying to force people in to getting vaccinated. You can get some people to comply, but then it hardens the views of a another small minority who become consumed by conspiracy theories like these people.

Compulsion so far has been limited to health and social care workers, and even they aren't being held down and forcibly injected. If they are bloody-mindedly determined not to have it at any price, then they can quit and work somewhere else.

The remaining 95% of the adult population is under nothing more than social pressure to get jabbed at all. Even the pretty minimal vaxport regime can be circumvented with a negative test.
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

TELEGRAPH: Testing in tatters as ⁦@sajidjavid⁩ blames huge surge in demand #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1476308838412427271/photo/1

And the BS continues...looks at recorded tests, 1,476,216 from yesterday....its absolutely Fake News.

Where as Germany, good luck getting a test let alone a result anytime over Christmas. DW News reporting their system couldn't handle Delta properly, let alone Omicron.
    Scott_xP said:

He's a liar.

It's what he does.
    I get that, but to what end? Scared of a backlash for having time off, when most of the nation is having time off? Just wierd.
  • Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Over a million tests a day are being done. If there's a capacity issue then how about working to reduce demand so demand is met by the capacity is available?

Isn't that the pro-lockdowners logic that you love? Manage demand rather than supply?
    Quite right. If we stop testing then we can tell people to go out and infect as many others as possible as you so desire.
    Scott_xP said:

I was in the UK...

Try and be more accurate than Prof. Peston next time.

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Problem is, people believe the “no test” thing. They’re literally bleating about it on Twitter at the moment. “We would have had more cases than France but we ran out of tests blah blah”.

Also an interesting point raised - apparently France figures include re infections?

Scott_xP said:

At a guess, Boris is telling the truth he has been in this country but if at Chequers (where PMs normally spend Christmas) and/or Downing Street for ten days, he could have said. So what is there to hide? Partying with squillionaire Tory donors?
    I think he was just bemused by the question.
  • Scott_xP said:

The more important story imho is on the right. NY to be warmest ever. Climate change is here and happening in our own lives. No sign whatsoever of winter in my garden. Some of the trees are yet to shed their leaves.
  • I am currently "isolating". Since I live alone and WFH, there is little difference to my usual life except I now get groceries online.
    I was at my son's over Xmas and he has had a positive PCR. He has not had a booster yet.
    I have a negative LFT, been boosted and I feel fine, but still have to isolate for 10 days.
    I have been requested via the app to take a PCR test, but apparently I should still isolate even if that is negative too, so what's the point in taking one?
    Vaccines work, boosters work. And Johnson, Sturgeon and Drakeford being absolute CU Next Tuesdays with the restrictions doesn't change that.
    I am coming to the conclusion that Track & Trace is simply stopping healthy people from working.

I thought isolation for contacts had been dropped? And it was only the infected and unvaccinated who now legally had to isolate?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/if-youre-told-to-self-isolate-by-nhs-test-and-trace-or-the-covid-19-app/

You do not need to self-isolate if any of the following apply:

you're fully vaccinated – this means 14 days have passed since your final dose of a COVID-19 vaccine given by the NHS
    you're under 18 years and 6 months old
    you're taking part or have taken part in a COVID-19 vaccine trial
    you're not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

Scott_xP said:

He's a liar.

It's what he does.
    I get that, but to what end? Scared of a backlash for having time off, when most of the nation is having time off? Just wierd.
    Weird. Like Keir.

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Quite right. If we stop testing then we can tell people to go out and infect as many others as possible as you so desire.
    Tbh that’s not that different to what happening anyway...
    edited December 2021
    The speed which people go full Boris conspiracy theories, remember that one where he was supposed to have secretly flow to Italy to meet a billionaire.

Occam's razor explanation is he has had a week off with his wife and his young kids. If he should do that during Omicron wave, well that's a different matter.
    darkage said:

That doesn't make any sense. People are either forced or they aren't, and what we have is still just very strong encouragement. Presenting it as 'trying to force' leaves nowhere to go for criticism if they do then force it.

Regardless, if I feel aggrieved at being told to do something I do not want to do (which happens all the time, a great many actual laws never mind encouragements require us to do things) and I indulge in conspiracy mongering as a result, that would be my fault, not the fault of those trying to encourage me.

It's a choice to go down that path. So far they have not hard their choice taken away, we should not take away their own agency and choice to proceed down this path either.

The speed which people go to Boris conspiracy theories, remember that one where he was supposed to have secretly flow to Italy to meet a billionaire.

Who could forget the phone cable reflection in the mirror.
  • RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps Boris was taken unawares but surely his advisers will have warned him of the twitter rumours.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

If you tell people to go and enjoy meeting up, but to be careful, and to test beforehand, should you really be surprised when they do that?

This governments forward planning...🙄
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Recently Foxy had commented that hospital staff ought to be provided with pukka masks in view of their constant exposure to TBV (the bloody virus), but that this had been denied.

This morning I saw a medic interviewed on my partner's TV saying very well the same thing, but, diplomatically, not mentioning any denial.

Private Eye has recently published one of their "special reports" entitled PROFITS OF DOOM, describing profiteering over the virus.

I feel angry.

The speed which people go to Boris conspiracy theories, remember that one where he was supposed to have secretly flow to Italy to meet a billionaire.

He's setting a few hares (or hare-brained journos) running.

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps Boris was taken unawares but surely his advisers will have warned him of the twitter rumours.
    Bemused that it came from ITN? I don't know. But is there actually any evidence at all that he was away? Twitter rumors count for diddly.
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree with this, a lot of people seem to quietly disobey the testing rules, and I think this number will rise.

I suggested the other day that a lot of testing is pointless as the official symptoms (that justify a PCR test) are wrong.

If cold and sore throat are the symptoms of Omicrom, why not change the guidance? Very strange.

The speed which people go full Boris conspiracy theories

The speed with which people assume he is a liar. Which he is...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

DW - German case numbers are much higher than reported

There is a known long term shortage of personnel running the system and this shows during holidays as not enough people to do the testing or process the results. Potential collapse of the testing infrastructure in the coming weeks if infections increase.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU7VPAvN61Q

But apparently the UK testing system is utter shit...it should be more like the Germans.

FPT
    You have to get an LFT administered by a chemist or a GP.
    And again for a PCR.
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

If you tell people to go and enjoy meeting up, but to be careful, and to test beforehand, should you really be surprised when they do that?

That's different from people who have gone bonkers with LFT tests, where they take them every day, sometimes multiple times a day, regardless if they are sitting in the jim jams watching Netflix or going to see 90 year old nanna.

I think the mistake the government made is they should rationed them some what.
  • Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Two birds, one stone.

Perfection.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

That's different from people who have gone bonkers with LFT tests, where they take them every day, sometimes multiple times a day, regardless.

Could they be addictive? Never tried one myself just in case I get hooked.

I am currently "isolating". Since I live alone and WFH, there is little difference to my usual life except I now get groceries online.

You are not required to self-isolate if you have been vaccinated.

"Contacts who are not required to self-isolate
    If you have had contact with someone who has COVID-19 you are at higher risk of becoming infected yourself and are strongly advised to take daily LFDs for 7 days.

If you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, you are not legally required to self-isolate if you are fully vaccinated or you are below the age of 18 years 6 months."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person#exempt

You mean there is insufficient supply to meet demand?

Some might even call it, a shortage...

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Two birds, one stone.

Perfection.
    Unless you have the misfortune to be one of the birds.
  • Scott_xP said:

For a man with such a poor track record of fidelity, perhaps he didn't tell Carrie where he was...
    Ah yes! He was in Mustique with the violinist.

Give the guy a break. He hasn't fathered a child for at least six months

How do you know?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,550
    Spent today at The Hepworth.
    They do have a superb collection of her work, displayed with a pleasing lack of pretension. Tickets only and no crowds at the moment; thoroughly recommended.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Called that days ago.
    This is the issue with describing it as a "mild cold".
    Why do we need jabs then?
    And. Why have you been off work for more than.a week? Skiver.
    For most people up-to-date with jabs this may be true. But we know this virus treats people very differently. Always has.
    6 months from last jab it's a different story.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited December 2021
    OT loss of our heritage. The SS Richard Montgomery is to be made safe. That's the shipwreck stuffed full of bombs, hundreds of tons of them, off Sheerness (and seeing it is probably the main reason for going to Sheerness). Soon there will be nothing to see once they've removed its masts (as it is feared they might collapse on to the explosives below).
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/29/sunken-warship-river-thames-explosives-board-could-cause-mass/ (£££)

Tom Scott video (not paywalled):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9u41aeItss
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    edited December 2021

I am currently "isolating". Since I live alone and WFH, there is little difference to my usual life except I now get groceries online.

You are not required to isolate if a contact of a PCR positive case if fully vaccinated.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/
  • Scott_xP said:

You mean there is insufficient supply to meet demand?

Some might even call it, a shortage...
    Have you worked out how to read simple charts yet?
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

The speed which people go full Boris conspiracy theories

The speed with which people assume he is a liar. Which he is...
    Boris is a liar. Take a guess that he is lying (by omission, or by implication or some other method) and you've a not inconsiderable chance of being right.

It does not follow, however, that every single time he is accused of lying it should be assumed to be an accurate accusation and it is unreasonable for people to not simply assume every single word is a lie.

There's surely a difference to treating what he says and claims with caution, and acting as though he has never told a truth.

It's funny, to a point, but it is also lazy if intending to take the moral high ground.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,779
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Negative LFTs are regularly being posted on Instagram stories, shortly followed by cute dinner party pics and then, later, outright debauchery.

Like boosters, young people (rightly) view them as a ticket to do whatever they want. The social pressure to take a test before going out is huge.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

That's different from people who have gone bonkers with LFT tests, where they take them every day, sometimes multiple times a day, regardless if they are sitting in the jim jams watching Netflix or going to see 90 year old nanna.

You can evidence some "people who have gone bonkers with LFT tests"? Or are you just speculating.

You are not required to self-isolate if you have been vaccinated.

"Contacts who are not required to self-isolate
    If you have had contact with someone who has COVID-19 you are at higher risk of becoming infected yourself and are strongly advised to take daily LFDs for 7 days.

If you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, you are not legally required to self-isolate if you are fully vaccinated or you are below the age of 18 years 6 months."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person/guidance-for-contacts-of-people-with-possible-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19-infection-who-do-not-live-with-the-person#exempt
    That's not what the text I got today said.
    edited December 2021
    dixiedean said:

Called that days ago.
    This is the issue with describing it as a "mild cold".
    Why do we need jabs then?
    And. Why have you been off work for more than.a week? Skiver.
    For most people up-to-date with jabs this may be true. But we know this virus treats people very differently. Always has.
    6 months from last jab it's a different story.
    It is why I was very critical of this "its mild" narrative that was allowed to take hold. That is not the same as it "is milder" on a population basis.

And there are a load of factors of why people's experiences vary e.g. South Africa lots of people have had Beta and Delta, the parental lineage of Omicron.
    darkage said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

I agree with this, a lot of people seem to quietly disobey the testing rules, and I think this number will rise.

I suggested the other day that a lot of testing is pointless as the official symptoms (that justify a PCR test) are wrong.

If cold and sore throat are the symptoms of Omicrom, why not change the guidance? Very strange.
    Presumably the authorities aren't changing their advice because, if the news was now that everybody with a cold needed to access tests and were all at risk of being funnelled into whatever today's version of the isolation rules are, the whole system would simply collapse? There's a material risk of that even as things stand, never mind if everyone with a case of the sniffles tries to order a PCR for themselves and a box of LFTs for the family.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Re header - the guy on the right at 1:05 is the one to arrest.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

You can evidence some "people who have gone bonkers with LFT tests"? Or are you just speculating.
    Anecdote, but several of my Uni colleagues tested every day they came to campus last semester.
    kle4 said:

There's surely a difference to treating what he says and claims with caution, and acting as though he has never told a truth.

But the more he says, the more evidence suggests he has never told a truth.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just a lie....

Yeah the LFT tests are fine, but I worry it has become routine now to take one before you go out to any social occasion. How does the government get people to stop doing that?

I recall yesterday seeing a university professor who kept taking LFT tests until she got a positive, and then boasted about it on Twitter. It just seems like mass derangement and panic.

OT loss of our heritage. The SS Richard Montgomery is to be made safe. That's the shipwreck stuffed full of bombs, hundreds of tons of them, off Sheerness (and seeing it is probably the main reason for going to Sheerness). Soon there will be nothing to see once they've removed its masts (as it is feared they might collapse on to the explosives below).
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/29/sunken-warship-river-thames-explosives-board-could-cause-mass/ (£££)

Tom Scott video (not paywalled):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9u41aeItss

Hm, I think the headline is a bit misleading. All they are doing is removing the masts. The bombs will still be there, waiting.
  • Scott_xP said:

I was in the UK...

Try and be more accurate than Prof. Peston next time.
    That’s a low bar……
This discussion has been closed.