Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should really worry Tories: anti-CON tactical voting – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    rcs1000 said:

Has anyone mentioned the "in hospital" number in Guateng today?

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)

Assuming that this trend is confirmed on Monday and Tuesday, these numbers are even more positive than they appear, as they indicate there is no "big lag" between infection and hospitalization.
  • Options
    Why do we need a wrap around all newspapers to say "get boosted"? 900k yesterday is a Good Number. Despite the lack of walk-in centres in some places (e.g. Southampton and Portsmouth where reportedly you need to go to the Isle of Wight...)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,018

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss replaces Lord Frost as lead negotiatior with the EU on the NIP

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1472628149829648385?s=20

I hope she does not live up to my expectations of her....
    She will make Frostfcuk look like he was a genius instead of the absolute bellend he is.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    A special issue thanking Lord Frost for Brexit?
    The chatter on Twitter believes it is London Bridge. But DYOR.
    Seems unlikely, unless the Queen's death is a planned event
    Have you read The Golden Bough?

Solstice on Tuesday. Just saying.
    Politics for all says that as Max suggested the wraparound is to encourage people to get jabbed.
    The people who still buy papers are generally older and vaccinated. The people who aren’t vaccinated probably don’t buy papers. So a waste of time and money.
    It is to re-assure the people who do buy papers, who also vote, that the government are doing what they can.....
    Also helps keep the papers' owners on HMG's side?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Why do we need a wrap around all newspapers to say "get boosted"? 900k yesterday is a Good Number. Despite the lack of walk-in centres in some places (e.g. Southampton and Portsmouth where reportedly you need to go to the Isle of Wight...)

Because the more the better?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Politics for all says that as Max suggested the wraparound is to encourage people to get jabbed.
    The people who still buy papers are generally older and vaccinated. The people who aren’t vaccinated probably don’t buy papers. So a waste of time and money.
    It is to re-assure the people who do buy papers, who also vote, that the government are doing what they can.....
    I like this site as occasionally find posts even more cynical than mine. Yes a taxpayer funded bung to the newspapers is perhaps a motivation as well.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

It's the missing first and second doses, particularly in the inner cities, that they're really after, is my guess.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Seems like we really haven't had much SPOTY discussion this year. Dont we normally have a thread on it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

Two slightly cynical (and probably incorrect) reasons:

*) It can be something they point to during any future inquiry, to show they were doing everything they could;
    *) It's good money to the newspapers, and the government like / need to get back in their good books.

Edit: Darned, see I was beaten on one of these by Mr Carnyx...
    Edit2: and to the other one by Mr Noneoftheabove...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Boris Johnson has been pictured with wine and cheese alongside his wife and up to 17 staff in the Downing Street garden during lockdown, raising questions over No 10’s insistence it constituted a “work meeting”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/boris-johnson-and-staff-pictured-with-wine-in-downing-street-garden-in-may-2020

His wife being there totally nails him. Fascinating who keeps leaking.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    edited December 2021

IshmaelZ said:

I see that Morrisons are selling pork fillets at £6/kg.

Weren't we promised a shortage of pork because all the pigs were going to be culled.

Meanwhile there are mounds of British carrots being flogged at 19p/kg.

Ditto British parsnips, cabbages, swede and doubtless others things we were told had rotted in the fields.

You do understand what all those cancelled Christmas dinners means don't you?

Absolute fucktons of large packs of everything to flood the market. Again.
    Yet the same thing happens every year.

Predictions of shortages followed by a glut at Christmas.

And we're still waiting for the pasta shortage which you predicted.

Or are you claiming now that the pasta in the supermarket comes from cancelled Christmas dinners.
    Every year since when?

Is the demand side of economics a complete fallacy?

Have you been looking forward all year to this attack on @RochdalePioneers and now omicron has spoilt it but you've thought Fuck it, let's plough on anyway, can't wait till Christmas 2022?
    Hardly an attack. More a petulant strop from someone who doesn't even know what the accusation is they are making. WTF would forecasted pasta shortages caused by a horrendous harvest in Canada have to do with truck drivers?
    I suspect @another_richard is frustrated because you are being horrid to that nice Mr Johnson.

Forty years ago before going to Uni. I worked as an fmcg Rep, complete with company Cortina. One of the tips we were taught was to get as many product facings as possible in order to sell more stuff, and if your competitors' facings were empty replace them with your own.

I have noted that the supermarkets have taken this a step further and instead of leaving blank facings or upturned veg boxes denoting short stock, they are replacing missing product facings with in-stock product giving the impression that there are no shortages. It is only when one asks where the carrots are one is told "we have sold out".
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

@kyf_100 ’s very powerful testimony shows how much damage on mental health is being inflicted. For all the talk about mental health being a priority, it’s clear it is low down on the list of priorities.

My best to @kyf_100

Also, I’m sick of middle class public sector professionals with a guaranteed wage and guaranteed pension telling everyone else that they have to sacrifice. Maybe they can show the courage of their convictions by offering to voluntarily give up a percentage of their very generous pension donations with the cash being used to support those suffering disproportionately from the crisis.

Heh, thanks. I'm much better now, thanks to good friends and several months of near-normality, though the thought we are heading into yet another two or three months minimum of the same bleakness fills me with utter terror. I don't want to slide back down into that dark, dark place again. Because next time I'm not sure I'll get out again.

We were told if we got the jabs, it would end. Then we were told if we got the booster, it would end. Now... when does it end?
    Great question. When does it end. As asked by Beth Rigby at that first BoJo news conference.

And of course I wish you all the very best.

I have been vocally anti lockdown since almost the beginning (not as much as @contrarian ) not because of the medical outcome it achieves. No shit you make it illegal to meet people and the number of infectious diseases plummets.

But because of the precedent. Cock up or conspiracy we are now in a place where lockdowns are a common tool of government.

All those "I was then I'm not now" PBers should hang their heads in shame because this was the obvious end point.
    But this is plainly ridiculous. By your logic no one should ever support any lockdowns because they might become more acceptable and frequent

That’s like saying you should never go to hospital otherwise it will become a habit

Bizarre
    I'm not 100% sure anyone should ever support any lockdown.

What possible reason could there be to have a legal mandate about who you are allowed to have in your home.

You and The Francester are frankly doing more damage to yourselves than you realise with all your constant crappy posts.

Of course when faced with it, as many have, you lash out. And that's fine. But for you two, PB is a super unhealthy place but of course caveat emptor go for your lives. And let's have a funny charge that I am terrified and projecting and blah blah blah.

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

But seriously. I know that you need a febrile atmosphere to produce your best-knapped flints but not everyone is as robust as you are, as many on PB have told us. Be careful how you wield your undoubted gifts on here.
    I think you are unfair to the “not now, but then” group.

Lockdowns had a role. To buy time until vaccines. Which they did. They made it possible to have a normal life with an endemic disease.

So I am proud to be in the “lockdown then but not now” camp
    As I said of course they were effective. But as a policy tool they were and are beyond the pale.
    That’s a value statement, though. The public health situation necessitated extreme action. Unfortunately politicians don’t have the strength of character to resist

BTW… “beyond the pale” is on the banned list these day as quasi-racist…
    Is BTP an Irish thing? I thought it just meant beyond Norman settlement. or is there some other thing?
    It means beyond the border of centralized government in the Pale, into areas of clan rule.

The idea that it should be banned is ridiculous. Should we stop saying "to be frank" too? The Irish are wealthier than we are. It is about time they got over their historical chippiness regarding stuff long past living memory.
    'No Irish' signs aren't past living memory.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I have a conundrum. I am due to have my booster vaccine on the 22nd. I am due to travel on the 23rd. Are side effects likely from the booster? I've had two AZ so far.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I like this site as occasionally find posts even more cynical than mine. Yes a taxpayer funded bung to the newspapers is perhaps a motivation as well.
    I must say in the old days when everyone had a newspaper and there were only 2-4 TV channels it was so much easier to put out public information ads and films. Nowadays it's all so fragmented - how would one repeat Mrs T's government campaign on HIV/AIDS?

(But did Mr J's lot try hard enough, I wonder? No need to answer that - it's wine and bruschetta time while the sausages grill ... but the point made earlier about trying to get the messaging right rather than being mediated through Mr J's irrepressible urge to tell jokes is a good one also).

@Fairliered 's point is a very good one too, about the possibly misplaced targeting.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    RobD said:

While loads of my peer group got one over the weekend, the huge queues have put off others.

There is also such certainty about lockdown there doesn't really seem to be much point for people my age - friend: "we could have 10 boosters and they will still close the pubs".

I didn't queue as I'm post-surgery and not feeling great. It could also mean two useless arms rather than one... I'll get one during the week if I don't have to wait around.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Cookie said:

Re food shortages I now have far too many Pigs in Blankets.

What the hell was I thinking!

No such thing as too many pigs in blankets.
    We are currently at 6 each if everyone has them.

My preference is for 1 or a maximum of 2 but that would require someone else to have 10 or 11

In fact just checking with Mrs BJ we are looking for a random guest who can consume around 14
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Weren't we promised a shortage of pork because all the pigs were going to be culled.

Ditto British parsnips, cabbages, swede and doubtless others things we were told had rotted in the fields.

Or are you claiming now that the pasta in the supermarket comes from cancelled Christmas dinners.
    Every year since when?

Have you been looking forward all year to this attack on @RochdalePioneers and now omicron has spoilt it but you've thought Fuck it, let's plough on anyway, can't wait till Christmas 2022?
    Hardly an attack. More a petulant strop from someone who doesn't even know what the accusation is they are making. WTF would forecasted pasta shortages caused by a horrendous harvest in Canada have to do with truck drivers?
    I suspect @another_richard is frustrated because you are being horrid to that nice Mr Johnson.

Forty years ago before going to Uni. I worked as an fmcg Rep, complete with company Cortina. One of the tips we were taught was to get as many product facings as possible in order to sell more stuff, and if your competitors facings were empty replace them with your own

I have noted that the supermarkets have taken this a step further and instead of leaving blank facings or upturned veg boxes denoting short stock, they are replacing missing product facings with in-stock product giving the impression that there are no shortages. It is only when one asks where the carrots are one is told "we have sold out".
    As I noted already, I wasn't blaming Peppa in any way for the mess in foodservice - people are cancelling because they are ill or they are worried about getting ill and losing Christmas.

On facings, yes. There is too much retail space in general. Many stores are too large and retailers are reducing the number of SKUs (individual products) they sell because complexity costs money and nobody needs a choice of 17 kinds of Hummus.

So they are finding ways to fill empty shelves with adverts and similar, then we have the late notice reduction in Christmas ranges as manufacturers have rejigged production to go max output rather than max choice.
  • Options

Cookie said:

My preference is for 1 or a maximum of 2 but that would require someone else to have 10 or 11

In fact just checking with Mrs BJ we are looking for a random guest who can consume around 14
    They are absolute filth in a sandwich...
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

Cookie said:

*raises hand*
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    Truss replacing Frost

Say cheese
  • Options
    Tres said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

@kyf_100 ’s very powerful testimony shows how much damage on mental health is being inflicted. For all the talk about mental health being a priority, it’s clear it is low down on the list of priorities.

My best to @kyf_100

Also, I’m sick of middle class public sector professionals with a guaranteed wage and guaranteed pension telling everyone else that they have to sacrifice. Maybe they can show the courage of their convictions by offering to voluntarily give up a percentage of their very generous pension donations with the cash being used to support those suffering disproportionately from the crisis.

Heh, thanks. I'm much better now, thanks to good friends and several months of near-normality, though the thought we are heading into yet another two or three months minimum of the same bleakness fills me with utter terror. I don't want to slide back down into that dark, dark place again. Because next time I'm not sure I'll get out again.

We were told if we got the jabs, it would end. Then we were told if we got the booster, it would end. Now... when does it end?
    Great question. When does it end. As asked by Beth Rigby at that first BoJo news conference.

I have been vocally anti lockdown since almost the beginning (not as much as @contrarian ) not because of the medical outcome it achieves. No shit you make it illegal to meet people and the number of infectious diseases plummets.

But because of the precedent. Cock up or conspiracy we are now in a place where lockdowns are a common tool of government.

All those "I was then I'm not now" PBers should hang their heads in shame because this was the obvious end point.
    But this is plainly ridiculous. By your logic no one should ever support any lockdowns because they might become more acceptable and frequent

That’s like saying you should never go to hospital otherwise it will become a habit

Bizarre

What possible reason could there be to have a legal mandate about who you are allowed to have in your home.

You and The Francester are frankly doing more damage to yourselves than you realise with all your constant crappy posts.

Of course when faced with it, as many have, you lash out. And that's fine. But for you two, PB is a super unhealthy place but of course caveat emptor go for your lives. And let's have a funny charge that I am terrified and projecting and blah blah blah.

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

But seriously. I know that you need a febrile atmosphere to produce your best-knapped flints but not everyone is as robust as you are, as many on PB have told us. Be careful how you wield your undoubted gifts on here.

Lockdowns had a role. To buy time until vaccines. Which they did. They made it possible to have a normal life with an endemic disease.

As I said of course they were effective. But as a policy tool they were and are beyond the pale.
    That’s a value statement, though. The public health situation necessitated extreme action. Unfortunately politicians don’t have the strength of character to resist

Is BTP an Irish thing? I thought it just meant beyond Norman settlement. or is there some other thing?
    It means beyond the border of centralized government in the Pale, into areas of clan rule.

The idea that it should be banned is ridiculous. Should we stop saying "to be frank" too? The Irish are wealthier than we are. It is about time they got over their historical chippiness regarding stuff long past living memory.
    Ah, I get the point now - beyond the pale = the Irish area rather than English area. So Irish = bad by implication. Like Greeks and Barbarians. Best avoided except in a literal historical meaning.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Have they redrafted Operation London Bridge to interrupt streaming platforms like Netflix or iPlayer? It would be typical to be deep into a Thick Of If binge and miss the announcement.
  • Options
    Richardr said:

Charles said:

By who?
    Irish people? It basically means "bogtrotter".
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2021
    Politics for All knows absolutely nothing, it just spends its days re-posting content from somebody else.

And then getting paid to post stuff like this: https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1472594925946646540

This Twitter account will go the way of all of these accounts, it will go into more and more rubbish, the original owner will sell it and start something else.

I wish we could ban it from here
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

*raises hand*
    Me too. Not that we are getting any. I'm not even sure pheasants are available locally this year. Might be a decent free range mutton casserole instead.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Charles said:

pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Moderna booster is fucking me up a bit.

Nothing like the first AZ dose but I'm pretty useless today.

I've just had the Moderna booster. I'm expecting a rough 24-48 hours.
    It's funny how this mucks some people up and leaves others well alone. No side effects at all from either of my AZ's, and the Moderna caused a very slight sore arm for about two days. Apart from that, fine.
    Prior infection + any vaccine
    2x MRNA
    3x MRNA

Cause side effects. Other combos not so much
    5 days on from PPM, my back is still rock hard and exhausted. When the inevitable 2nd boosters come around I will happily walk away before taking spikevax again, brother had a couple of days in bed too, Never had a peep out of fizzer.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    FIIIIVE GOOOOOLD RIIIINGS
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Not necessarily, older readers of the Express, Sun or Mirror are probably less likely to be vaxxed, especially the former. Lots of readers of local papers will be unvaxxed too. Every hundred vaccines done for over 70s is 3-4 hospitalisations prevented. Even if the absolute numbers in the door is less than 100k it's probably still worth it vs the NHS expense. We should have been doing it far, far earlier.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Not the first time; there was that subsidy to local newspapers.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

I have a conundrum. I am due to have my booster vaccine on the 22nd. I am due to travel on the 23rd. Are side effects likely from the booster? I've had two AZ so far.

It seems a bit random, but most people seem to be fine apart from a mildly sore arm. I've not seen reports of people getting seriously ill from it.
  • Options

Politics for All knows absolutely nothing, it just spends its days re-posting content from somebody else.

And then getting paid to post stuff like this: https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1472594925946646540

This Twitter account will go the way of all of these accounts, it will go into more and more rubbish, the original owner will set it and start something else.

Do they ever claim to know anything? I thought the point was it was an aggregator.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Not necessarily, older readers of the Express, Sun or Mirror are probably less likely to be vaxxed, especially the former. Lots of readers of local papers will be unvaxxed too. Every hundred vaccines done for over 70s is 3-4 hospitalisations prevented. Even if the absolute numbers in the door is less than 100k it's probably still worth it vs the NHS expense. We should have been doing it far, far earlier.
    Where's the ad campaign of people on their (covid) death beds wishing they had taken the vaccine? That'd surely hit home.
  • Options

This Twitter account will go the way of all of these accounts, it will go into more and more rubbish, the original owner will set it and start something else.

Do they ever claim to know anything? I thought the point was it was an aggregator.
    Yes they've started claiming their own "leaks" recently
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Boris Johnson has been pictured with wine and cheese alongside his wife and up to 17 staff in the Downing Street garden during lockdown, raising questions over No 10’s insistence it constituted a “work meeting”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/boris-johnson-and-staff-pictured-with-wine-in-downing-street-garden-in-may-2020

This piece too. A high angle photo. Wonder where taken from and why originally?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/chatting-over-cheese-and-wine-anatomy-downing-street-lockdown-gathering-picture
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Where's the ad campaign of people on their (covid) death beds wishing they had taken the vaccine? That'd surely hit home.
    No idea, the government outreach programme has been poor. There's so much more that could have been done other than opening up appointments and hoping GPs would have "positive conversations" with refusers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

If it was good enough for RTAs, or that school sports day on the railway was for young trespassers ...
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Oh that's BS then. Just like that Nick guy who gets far too much coverage....they are at the end of the day students in their dorm rooms.

The aggregator idea was smart. They should just stick to that.
  • Options

I told people here there were more photos coming.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ping said:

FIIIIVE GOOOOOLD RIIIINGS

But he thought to have deprived me of a far better thing...

It is a count up from, not down to, Christmas Day, and anyway 5 days from here takes us to 23rd.
  • Options

Oh that's BS then. Just like that Nick guy who gets far too much coverage....they are at the end of the day students in their dorm rooms.
    Nick is even more annoying, every post he makes is just from gossip on Twitter
  • Options

I hardly noticed mine (Pf after 2xAZ) bit then it was about 29 days after testing positive for Covid so my immune system probably laughed it off as something not worth bothering with.

Travelling is fairly shit anyway, and you are not actually ill, so I'd go ahead with it.
  • Options

But you were claiming the political editor of the Mirror had them.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Truss replaces Lord Frost as lead negotiatior with the EU on the NIP

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1472628149829648385?s=20

I hope she does not live up to my expectations of her....
    She will make Frostfcuk look like he was a genius instead of the absolute bellend he is.
    That is what worries me...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s an expensive way of making sure casual punters don’t see what’s on the front pages!
    Aah. Did they know about the Graun's scoop on the 17th?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Raducanu now 1.03/1.04 on Betfair for SPoTY.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I am sure she does.
  • Options

RobD said:

I am sure she does.
    I'm sure you are sure. That doesn't mean it's actually true.
  • Options
    Dangerous to make firm predictions in volatile situation but doesn't feel like govt is preparing ground for new restrictions, certainly not this side of Xmas. Javid message surely more 'this is serious, Tory rebels will look fools'. Sage minutes sobering but not surprising IMO.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1472641122476433415?t=hfjpnwCBywmFj37COJHy7A&s=19

This guy has had lots of inside track during COVID.
  • Options
    Whoever is leaking, they clearly are determined to bring BoJo down.

He is screwed.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

It seems a bit random, but most people seem to be fine apart from a mildly sore arm. I've not seen reports of people getting seriously ill from it.
    It’s common to feel a bit ropey 24 hours later. Arrange a quiet day and you can take it in your stride; only if you are SeanT will it be the first case of another new variant contracted and mutated whilst you were standing in the queue.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

RobD said:

While loads of my peer group got one over the weekend, the huge queues have put off others.

There is also such certainty about lockdown there doesn't really seem to be much point for people my age - friend: "we could have 10 boosters and they will still close the pubs".

I didn't queue as I'm post-surgery and not feeling great. It could also mean two useless arms rather than one... I'll get one during the week if I don't have to wait around.
    Also bear in mind that for many of us, the most unwell we have been in the last two years was after a vaccine. Can see why some people won't get it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

He is screwed.

The thing is, those in the know will have a very good idea who it must be. Not many people can take these photos, same as shots of the zoom quiz.
  • Options

He is screwed.

The only people who can do that are his mps who seem as divided as they possibly could be
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not inconceivable there is more than one set of photographs.

That is a superb photograph in the grauniad by the way. The light, the composition, the different dynamic in each of the 3 sets of people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

A paper would be concerned to maintain their scoop and publish as soon as the veracity of the information had been confirmed. Wherever these are coming from, they are being fed periodically to the paper that merely knows it is on a promise of more.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'd be more impressed if the "get vaxxed" newspaper wraparound was much more targeted towards the readers of each paper. Throw in something about the vaccine being linked to house prices, Diana, Ant'n'Dec/I'm a Celeb, indyref2, a Page 3 model (delete as appropriate)...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited December 2021

Looks pretty socially distanced to me
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Has anyone mentioned the "in hospital" number in Guateng today?

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)

Assuming that this trend is confirmed on Monday and Tuesday, these numbers are even more positive than they appear, as they indicate there is no "big lag" between infection and hospitalization.
    @rcs1000
    Where are you seeing the Gauteng data because looking at the NICD dashboard they say there are 3286 patients in Gauteng which is basically bo change from yesterday at 3285
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks pretty socially distanced to me and Boris wearing a facemask
    Well no, he's taken the mask off.

What is his wife doing there?

The rules at the time were two people outside at a distance of 2m. That's not 2m.

This is pathetic.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/dec/19/chatting-over-cheese-and-wine-anatomy-downing-street-lockdown-gathering-picture
    Doesn’t really kick the story on to the degree needed in my opinion.
  • Options

He is screwed.

The thing is, those in the know will have a very good idea who it must be. Not many people can take these photos, same as shots of the zoom quiz.
    The question now is just how much this adds to the story which is already set in the public's mind

Furthermore, Boris is unlikely to be in office by the late Spring
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Was that legal, then?
  • Options
    Lots of work going on.

No laptops.

No paper.

Looks like a big box of wine and a typical middle/upper-class drinks party of which I've been to a few.

And they still think we're idiots
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2021
    These pictures that apparently Cummings may be the one behind continuously leaking, are going to make it much harder, politically, for the government to lock down, let alone anything else.

Didn't he also promise another video, from the press room ? I can't feeling he, or people around him, have been waiting for this timing for a year.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Was that legal, then?
    2m at the time, remember.

Edit: CHB has made that point.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The rules at the time were two people outside at a distance of 2m. That's not 2m.

This is pathetic.
    There were only 4 people on Boris' table, they were far away from others and Carrie counts as Boris' bubble and the other 2 were civil servants doing government business
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.
    There were only 4 people on Boris' table, they were far away from others and Carrie counts as Boris' bubble and the other 2 were civil servants doing government business
    At this time people were being arrested for having more than 2 people, 2 metres apart.

You're embarassing yourself.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    maaarsh said:

Charles said:

pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Moderna booster is fucking me up a bit.

Nothing like the first AZ dose but I'm pretty useless today.

I've just had the Moderna booster. I'm expecting a rough 24-48 hours.
    It's funny how this mucks some people up and leaves others well alone. No side effects at all from either of my AZ's, and the Moderna caused a very slight sore arm for about two days. Apart from that, fine.
    Prior infection + any vaccine
    2x MRNA
    3x MRNA

Cause side effects. Other combos not so much
    5 days on from PPM, my back is still rock hard and exhausted. When the inevitable 2nd boosters come around I will happily walk away before taking spikevax again, brother had a couple of days in bed too, Never had a peep out of fizzer.
    Similar experience, PPM. Second P was bad headache and sore arm for a day, M booster knocked me for six, aches, fever, headache, bed-ridden.

I'll gladly take my booster(s?) because it's in the interest of society to stamp this thing out, and getting jabbed protects others just as much (if not more) than myself. But I've personally had to take about four sick days just due to the shots.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

Also bear in mind that for many of us, the most unwell we have been in the last two years was after a vaccine. Can see why some people won't get it.
    Except you are not actually unwell, you are just feeling a bit shit because your immune system is working. If you feel equally unwell with Covid, you have just acquired an infection that might kill you in two or three weeks. Different matter entirely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.
    As we say in Scotland: d'ye think oor heids button up the back?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,655
    It does look like a very pleasant garden drinks party though. I wonder if the main impact of these new photos is to make us all yearn for the summer.

It’s only when you see a picture like this that you realise just how awful the Northern European winters are.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited December 2021
    moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

Some people are getting over excited when in fact party gate has already entered public conscious and was evidenced in the voting in North Shropshire last Thursday
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

"At the time social mixing between households was limited to two people, who could only meet outdoors and at a distance of at least 2 metres. In workplaces, guidance said in-person meetings should only take place if “absolutely necessary”."

Also your post originally said "Looks pretty socially distanced to me and Boris wearing a facemask" until you edited it because he wasn't. I will never stop wondering why it said that in the first place.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.
    It's a rubbish photo tho. Outside in May. C'mon.

Whoever is trying to take him out is doing a useless job - the image I had in my head was a boozy Christmas party with dancing, couples in dark corners, coke in the bathrooms.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

Some people are getting over excited when in fact party gate has already entered public conscious and was evidenced in the voting in North Shropshire last Thursday
    I'm actually astounded rather than excited to see a photograph of such high quality of Mr Johnson massively breaching covid regulations. Which we did not have before, remember.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.
    At this time people were being arrested for having more than 2 people, 2 metres apart.

If you think people were being arrested for meeting in their gardens with 2 other people socially distanced outside their bubble who they work with you are having a laugh. Total non story
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

He is screwed.

The question now is just how much this adds to the story which is already set in the public's mind

Think you're overestimating the chances of that happy event in that timeframe
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.

If you think people were being arrested for meeting in their gardens with 2 other people socially distanced outside their bubble who they work with you are having a laugh. Total non story
    When they were supposed to be setting an example? The chap who made the laws and his aides?

• Options

I had my Moderna booster today about 12.30, after 2 AZ. Fine so far, though I will try and avoid lying on the jabbed shoulder in bed tonight.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.

When they were supposed to be setting an example? The chap who made the laws and his aides?

I was appalled by the story, and still am, but the photo actually makes it look not as bad as the picture in my minds eye. It's outside, relatively few people for the space, not really a super spreader event. Still wrong but this photo probably is good news for Boris.
  • Options
    This thread has resigned after an unfortunate pic was taken of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.

It is exciting some, but while it is not a non story I really do not see it adds to the story and certainly does not give the impression of a 'party' in the true sense of the word or the perception of the public of a party
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251

He is screwed.

I'd love it to be Theresa May behind this.
  • Options
    This thread is over. Just like BoJo's career
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.

Why not try claiming that Carrie is a de facto member of the government? I mean, it surely takes more than a talent for fellatio to be in a position to arrange for loyal servants of this country to be murdered by Islamic extremists so that Penny Wenny's doggie woggies can fly out of Kabul?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He is screwed.

Think you're overestimating the chances of that happy event in that timeframe
    The Spring elections will be key but it would be my preferred outcome
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    May 2 2020, my mum and niece had a joint birthday party in my sister’s garden.

They’re guilty as sin. If Boris and Carrie are going down, so are my family.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

This is pathetic.

It is exciting some, but while it is not a non story I really do not see it adds to the story and certainly does not give the impression of a 'party' in the true sense of the word or the perception of the public of a party
    They're posh, remember. Standing in circles in the garden chatting with glasses of wine = party. Before theyt get pished and it loosens up.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

RobD said:

Except you are not actually unwell, you are just feeling a bit shit because your immune system is working. If you feel equally unwell with Covid, you have just acquired an infection that might kill you in two or three weeks. Different matter entirely.
    Not at all. I'm in my 20s and it's highly unlikely to make me seriously unwell.

I got my jabs (and will get my booster) to help old and vulnerable people. Glad to do so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

I'm actually astounded rather than excited to see a photograph of such high quality of Mr Johnson massively breaching covid regulations. Which we did not have before, remember.
    The trouble is, the rules have changed around so much and sitting outside with tables apart like that feels like a sufficiently sensible precaution to most people, rather than reckless. The Guardian have to go to the bother of explaining what the rules were on that date and why this breaches them. If you have to explain the joke…
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I had my Moderna booster today about 12.30, after 2 AZ. Fine so far, though I will try and avoid lying on the jabbed shoulder in bed tonight.
    No knowing we all react differently
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

The trouble is, the rules have changed around so much and sitting outside with tables apart like that feels like a sufficiently sensible precaution to most people, rather than reckless. The Guardian have to go to the bother of explaining what the rules were on that date and why this breaches them. If you have to explain the joke…
    Point taken. But there are enough folk who remember what the rules were. I certainly do.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Forty years ago today, 16 people lost their lives in the Penlee lifeboat disaster off Cornwall. Eight crew from the Mousehole lifeboat, and eight people on the MV Union Star.

RIP.

One of the first disasters that stuck on my consciousness, as my dad had a friend in Mousehole and we went occasionally.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Tres said:

Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

Neither was the blowing up of English civilians by Irish nationalists, which is clearly an order of magnitude worse. But I wasn't referring to either. I was talking about sensitivities over a geographic area that ceased to exist 400 years ago.
  • Options

Me and the missus both done this week, both had AZ for the first two jabs. I had Pfizer she had Moderna for the booster, neither of us have been too bad. She was a bit peaky yesterday, after being jabbed at 4.30 on Friday, but is fine now. I got done Thursday morning and have been totally fine.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

He is screwed.

Larry the cat ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

IshmaelZ said:

Every year since when?

Forty years ago before going to Uni. I worked as an fmcg Rep, complete with company Cortina. One of the tips we were taught was to get as many product facings as possible in order to sell more stuff, and if your competitors facings were empty replace them with your own

As I noted already, I wasn't blaming Peppa in any way for the mess in foodservice - people are cancelling because they are ill or they are worried about getting ill and losing Christmas.

On facings, yes. There is too much retail space in general. Many stores are too large and retailers are reducing the number of SKUs (individual products) they sell because complexity costs money and nobody needs a choice of 17 kinds of Hummus.

So they are finding ways to fill empty shelves with adverts and similar, then we have the late notice reduction in Christmas ranges as manufacturers have rejigged production to go max output rather than max choice.
    The only Humous worth having is the Sabra Humous that you can get in Sainsbury. Forget the rest. Their baba genius is great too.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

moonshine said:

Carnyx said:

At the time we were sat in the garden and only speaking to the neighbours over the fence. We couldn't visit my Mother in Law in her nursing home.

Those bastards were having a pizza and wine party.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    On topic: The LDs actually didn't need Labour swing in NS. Even if we assume every bit of lost Labour vote share went LD, they would have won without it

For Batley & Spen on the other hand (in other political times), the small LD switching figure not only was theoretically enough to save Labour but it probably did, even amongst the many other voter movements that went on in that election.
This discussion has been closed.