Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should really worry Tories: anti-CON tactical voting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Aaaand, just like that, the two week "circuit breaker" morphs into "at least a month of lockdown"

"NO XMAS CHEER Sage doom mongers want a MONTH-long circuit breaker lockdown banning household mixing over Christmas"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17086101/doom-monger-scientists-month-lockdown-christmas/

Twas ever thus. They loathe the sight of people having fun and getting on with life. If the pandemic is over they slide back into irrelevance.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Mail: Mutinous backbenchers have been retweeting messages suggesting that it might be 'too late' for the premier to save himself, after the massive mutiny over Plan B curbs last week and weeks of misery over sleaze allegations and the Downing Street 'Partygate' scandal. It could make it even harder for Mr Johnson to push through new restrictions to combat the surging Omicron variant, despite scientists warning mixing between households should be banned at Christmas.

Nikki da Costa, a former No10 aide and friend of Lord Frost, warned that the 'whole system' in No 10 'doesn't work'. Echoing the views of many MPs, she told the Sunday Telegraph that Dan Rosenfield, a former Treasury official who replaced Dominic Cummings in Downing Street in late 2020, was partly responsible because he lacked 'political sensibility'. 'He doesn't like challenge,' she said.

Lord Frost, who negotiated Britain's departure from the EU as Brexit Minister, is understood to have been persuaded to delay his resignation until January after giving notice to Mr Johnson a week ago. However, after the Mail on Sunday exclusively revealed he was departing, the peer brought forward his departure.

Conservative MPs are increasingly talking about a challenge to the Prime Minister's leadership within the next six months, with Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Foreign Secretary Liz Truss leading the field of contenders. Messages from a Whatsapp group of more than 100 Tory MPs titled 'Clean Global Brexit', showed Andrew Bridgen describing the move as a 'disaster' while Theresa Villiers calls it 'very worrying'.

The developing scene includes these snapshots: UK as a whole is divided as much as ever about the merits of Brexit at all; the Tory party looks like shifting its split over EU v leave EU to one flavour of Brexit v another flavour of Brexit, but just as visceral.

For all his total unsuitability to the role and the many reasons he shouldn’t be in the job he could be another Tory,leader to lose their job over Europe. A peculiar Tory,obsession.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

904,598 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 exc Wales yesterday (530,086 the previous Saturday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

When Welsh data is added in (tomorrow) it's almost certain yesterday will turn out to be the first day that more than a million vaccines were given out - figure excluding Wales is c. 987k I think.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1472568625680769024?s=20

Think we'll hit the million mark this week and then it will be after new year's day before we get back to that level.
    Great prediction lol. Must have really been a challenge to make that extrapolation. Now now master modeller with all the really clever friends. Where are hospitalisations going to be this week and next?
    Nobody knows. Including the modellers working for the government. Their modelling every single time have however been out, often by huge margins. So nobody should be using it.

If of course you have clairvoyant powers and can deliver the information, perhaps you should be advising the government?
    I don't know myself but then I haven't posted thousands of posts pretending I do, always after the event of course. ;-)
    Max at least has been saying for months on end that this modelling doesn't make sense and the use of them is flawed.

Which is all anyone can do.

What is disturbing is the way they are, despite being patently flawed, they are being used to strongly push a policy agenda.

Which is what is the real issue at stake here. Not the models - they work as they are intended to - but how they are deployed and what they are used for.
    'This modelling doesn't make sense'. Wow is that the level of insight that Max has been giving? Very impressive stuff. Forensic.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Aaaand, just like that, the two week "circuit breaker" morphs into "at least a month of lockdown"

"NO XMAS CHEER Sage doom mongers want a MONTH-long circuit breaker lockdown banning household mixing over Christmas"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17086101/doom-monger-scientists-month-lockdown-christmas/

Twas ever thus. They loathe the sight of people having fun and getting on with life. If the pandemic is over they slide back into irrelevance.
    Oh for goodness sake Max, you're falling into silly land now
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

904,598 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 exc Wales yesterday (530,086 the previous Saturday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

When Welsh data is added in (tomorrow) it's almost certain yesterday will turn out to be the first day that more than a million vaccines were given out - figure excluding Wales is c. 987k I think.

Think we'll hit the million mark this week and then it will be after new year's day before we get back to that level.
    Great prediction lol. Must have really been a challenge to make that extrapolation. Now now master modeller with all the really clever friends. Where are hospitalisations going to be this week and next?
    Nobody knows. Including the modellers working for the government. Their modelling every single time have however been out, often by huge margins. So nobody should be using it.

If of course you have clairvoyant powers and can deliver the information, perhaps you should be advising the government?
    I don't know myself but then I haven't posted thousands of posts pretending I do, always after the event of course. ;-)
    Max at least has been saying for months on end that this modelling doesn't make sense and the use of them is flawed.

What is disturbing is the way they are, despite being patently flawed, they are being used to strongly push a policy agenda.

Which is what is the real issue at stake here. Not the models - they work as they are intended to - but how they are deployed and what they are used for.
    'This modelling doesn't make sense'. Wow is that the level of insight that Max has been giving? Very impressive stuff. Forensic.
    He’s also a self proclaimed expert on pizza dough. Truly a man of many talents.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Newcastle are going to be the richest team in the Championship....

Wonder if anyone’s told the new shareholders how the football pyramid works?

IIRC there was an American who bought into a team which then got relegated, and the new shareholder didn’t understand that he hadn’t bought a “English Premier League Franchise”.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Fuhgeddaboudit
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Are you saying he's wrong?

I'd point out that's further than most of the media have got. They're still quoting these errors as gospel. That's at least part of the problem.
  • Options
    I got my booster today. Add 1 to today's Scotland total.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

He's given specific examples of where the assumptions used in the models are wrong. And we don't have to take his word for it, just look at how accurate they have been in the past.
  • Options

Any side effects? I don't even have a sore arm which is a bit worrying.
  • Options
    Don't feed the trolls......
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Oh for goodness sake Max, you're falling into silly land now
    I think it does hurt them that no one's listening to them any more, hence the ratcheting up of stupid numbers and the irrational person here defending their honour despite the regular failures. It's all they have left, I'm sure in a week we'll get a newly revised prediction of 10k dead per day because the 6k wasn't enough to get people convinced.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

On Topic which seat has Labour gained since SKS became leader?

Tactical voting or otherwise

BJO, this is becoming a bit of a monomania TBH. You used to post some great stuff but now it’s “SKS is shit” 24/7.
  • Options
    NEW: Omicron has become the dominant variant in Ireland, officials say
  • Options

Omnium said:

I see very little evidence that the split on this site has really changed, the same people are pro lockdown as a year ago.

The split may not have changed but I'd be surprised if all of us haven't been on a bit of a journey as to our views. Unless you're the Piers Corbyn, or Steve Baker edges of our society then I think that must be true.

I genuinely don't really know my own opinion now - there's not so much science emerging it seems. My hunch is that Javid is weak and wobbly (just because that's my judgement of him beforehand).
    I hope you are well - and thank you for your previous kind suggestion of meeting me. I simply cannot ask you to buy me food or a drink but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

I am anti-lockdown in the sense it is bad for my health and bad for businesses like @Cyclefree's daughter, for whom I have a lot of sympathy.

But I am instinctively pro protecting and saving lives, I think in many ways that informs my politics as one of compassion and love and that is the person I try to be. So that is how I see things.

I hope we do not need a lockdown - but I do think it is far too early to be saying everything is ok. Because we've been down this road before with Delta. And I remember having the same arguments with Phil and others this time last year.
    Last year I was much more open to the idea of restrictions than I am now. I hated the idea of them, but we hadn't rolled vaccines out yet, so the idea of restrictions until we've vaccinated the vulnerable made some sense.

This is a completely different scenario now. We've not just triple vaccinated the vulnerable, we have vaccinated everyone who wants it.

Restrictions now aren't buying time for a vaccine rollout, they're just an act of denial shoving your head in the sand thinking the big bad virus will go away if only you wish very hard that it does.
    Utter rubbish.

I remember arguing with you at length about there being no need for a lockdown, how we'd already reached herd immunity.
    I never said that last year. Not as far as I recall.

I only spoke about herd immunity this year.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Two weeks yesterday. One month today. It'll be three months by Xmas Eve.

I am not prepared to do more than two weeks. End of discussion.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @FrancisUrquhart we’ve been the richest team in the Championship quite a few times already. Nothing new.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

This feels like monumental fuck-uppery

"An important point. Chairman of Sage modellers presumes someone else in gvt is modelling the economic and social harm of a new lockdown. But no one is (and that’s not his fault).

"How can ministers decide how to “balance the harms” if they’re only given one side of the story?"

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1472565502451007492?s=20

It's the same point I made last night. The government is like a big corporation wondering whether to launch a risky new product. They bring in their advisors, and all they ask the advisors is: what is the downside of launching this, how bad can it get?

They then get a series of forecasts ranging from "big loss" to "total bankruptcy"

They don't ever ask the other side of the question, what is the upside, how good can it be, which might get the answers "huge profit" to "global domination". They never hear the possible positives

So this corporation always errs on the side of caution, never innovates, and becomes Pan Am, Kodak or Nokia

If that is true, then surely it is Rishi's responsibility as CoE to ensure the Treasury is modeling the options? Black eye for a future PM wannabe.
  • Options
    Two weeks is a total non-starter, we know it isn't long enough. If you are going lockdown, a month is the bare minimum to have any real effect.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I'm not prepared to do a single day. COVID is endemic, we can't lockdown every time there's a new variant.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

He's given specific examples of where the assumptions used in the models are wrong. And we don't have to take his word for it, just look at how accurate they have been in the past.
    How accurate they have been? All of them all the time?

Max has just enough knowledge to pretend he knows something. But ask him to produce his own prediction, he goes strangely quiet. It's the same for his mate Mr Francis. They know all the answers but always after the event. Funny that.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Max has just enough knowledge to pretend he knows something. But ask him to produce his own prediction, he goes strangely quiet. It's the same for his mate Mr Francis. They know all the answers but always after the event. Funny that.
    All of them what all the time? I don't think any of the high-profile SAGE forecasts have been accurate.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

How will you rebel? If the pubs, caffs and shops are shut, they are shut. Ditto everything else

I am seriously looking at flights to Bangkok. A friend there says life is reasonable, bars and restaurants are open but fairly quiet (you have to eat to drink, but it is liberally interpreted to include beer nuts)

He says there is a good chance Thailand will close the border to the UK in early January, if not before

I could go out there and get stranded, for ages, and then Thailand also goes into lockdown anyway, so I am basically confined to a hotel and can't see anyone.

However it might well be worth the risk for me, because three+ months of winter lockdown in the UK, like last year, would likely break me

• Options
    ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Er - you're asking him to predict something when the whole point of what he"s saying is that the methods used are useless and it's totally unpredictable?

OK. Tell Vlad from me this is an improvement on that bullshit about pilots, or his massive cockup in Salisbury, or backing that drunken failure Lukashenko, but it's still not working.

And have a good one.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Are you a bot or just a dickhead?

So far your input to PB has not been exactly impressive. And we are a welcoming bunch, normally
  • Options
    Leon said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Are you a bot or just a dickhead?

So far your input to PB has not been exactly impressive. And we are a welcoming bunch, normally
    Nah he's a former poster, defender of government scientists under a new more aggressive guise. Like the cornered animal, it becomes more aggressive because it knows it's fucked. He would come back as @AlwaysSinging if he had any integrity.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021
    DougSeal said:

Fascinating 1999 Wired article about Piers Corbyn when he was almost considered, dare I say it, respectable

https://www.wired.com/1999/02/weather-2/

That’s a great article. A couple of clicks later and I’m reading Boris, approvingly quoting Piers, back in 2015;

https://web.archive.org/web/20190109214720/https:/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/12060976/I-cant-stand-this-December-heat-but-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-global-warming.html

How times change, eh?
  • Options
    Leon, talking of bots, i can get you access to GPT3 if you are interested.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

All of them what all the time? I don't think any of the high-profile SAGE forecasts have been accurate.
    Duh.. because they are used to guide policy, hence by definition they are not going to be accurate to the real world, unless they are completely ignored.

This is such simple stuff surely the modelling experts have gone through it all already?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

They are just doing the usual public sector arse covering thing. Just put in a massive, meaningless range.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    I suspect the government will resist some of the most severe calls for restrictions but there still seem to be sensible choices that they are in danger of dying in a ditch over refusing to make.

1. Schools. Its well known they are a major transmission driver and logic suggests an extended break would have been a good idea espcially pre Christmas but no, no one wants to do that

2. Older people. over 70s in particular. Encouraging limiting of contacts, agreeing certain preferntial times at supermarkets and so on makes sense because they still represent a very large slice of hospitalisation

As well as the booster programme, there are also two other things that also change the calculus:

Anti virals. These are reportedly due to come on stream as early as January and designed to cut a need for admissions.

As regards the unknowns about Omicron one of the most signifcant explanations as to why it may not generally cause as severe disease was an analysis by a team at Oxford which explains the scence behinmd the why. If that holds then it does suggest we might be worth taking more of a punt and not dragging the economy, peoples mental health and so forth down the gutter again.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Leon said:

"An important point. Chairman of Sage modellers presumes someone else in gvt is modelling the economic and social harm of a new lockdown. But no one is (and that’s not his fault).

"How can ministers decide how to “balance the harms” if they’re only given one side of the story?"

It's the same point I made last night. The government is like a big corporation wondering whether to launch a risky new product. They bring in their advisors, and all they ask the advisors is: what is the downside of launching this, how bad can it get?

They then get a series of forecasts ranging from "big loss" to "total bankruptcy"

They don't ever ask the other side of the question, what is the upside, how good can it be, which might get the answers "huge profit" to "global domination". They never hear the possible positives

So this corporation always errs on the side of caution, never innovates, and becomes Pan Am, Kodak or Nokia

If that is true, then surely it is Rishi's responsibility as CoE to ensure the Treasury is modeling the options? Black eye for a future PM wannabe.
    Apparently the Treasury DID do this last winter - model the social/economic downsides of lockdown, but they got a terrific roasting for "valuing money over life" (completely absurd of course) and now they are all too scared to even mention it

We are so badly governed it is beyond belief. I for one cannot wait until GPT6 or the Aliens simply take over
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Duh.. because they are used to guide policy, hence by definition they are not going to be accurate to the real world, unless they are completely ignored.

This is such simple stuff surely the modelling experts have gone through it all already?
    They are not accurate because they are going to be used to guide policy? OK.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    DougSeal said:

BJO, this is becoming a bit of a monomania TBH. You used to post some great stuff but now it’s “SKS is shit” 24/7.
    You're not able to provide an example of a Labour win where Tactical Voting has been the reason or otherwise?

I thought that was the point of this thread?
  • Options

Oooh, I'd love to. Yes please. Can u DM me?
  • Options
    Number of people hospitalized with Omicron in England rises to 104, up from 85 yesterday, with 12 deaths, up from 7 - UKHSA
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Er - you're asking him to predict something when the whole point of what he"s saying is that the methods used are useless and it's totally unpredictable?

OK. Tell Vlad from me this is an improvement on that bullshit about pilots, or his massive cockup in Salisbury, or backing that drunken failure Lukashenko, but it's still not working.

And have a good one.
    Really? I thought Max's (at least one of his many) argument was that the wide boys in the City could do a better job. Or that the academics were fascist or something. There's been so many it's hard to keep up.

You didn't answer my question though. If we don't use a model what should we do? Finger in the air?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No, no side effects. It was Moderna after my first two Astrazeneca. The only jab I have had any reaction to was my flu virus one in November, when I felt a bit shit for a couple of days.
  • Options

Goodness me this is tiring.
    The electors not going along with your Starmer is a winner stuff?

Be prepared to be tired till he loses GE2024
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759

DougSeal said:

You're not able to provide an example of a Labour win where Tactical Voting has been the reason or otherwise?

Ian Murray in Red Morningside.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I'm not prepared to do a single day. COVID is endemic, we can't lockdown every time there's a new variant.
    You've locked yourself down whilst you are sick though. Which is more than Philip would have you do.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Some posters have been commenting on the motives of those who appear to want to re-introduce more restrictions or possibly another ‘lockdown’ whatever that specifically means. I don’t doubt that there is an appetite for more measures coming from the likes of Whitty and his colleagues. Is this because they are control freaks, power hungry or worst of all secretly fascist? I find that distinctly unlikely and worth us remembering that it’s a great human failing to attribute the worst motives to people we disagree with doubly so at a time of stress or misery.

Sean Fear has suggested that the relationship between the government and Whitty et all was like that between the government and the military in times of war. That’s true and ultimately it is up for the government to decide because advisers only advise. Commanders often have much sympathy with their frontline troops and I suspect Whitty is no different. Clearly the last two years have been a huge burden on health service staff and here we are again asking them to make another big commitment. Not that January is ever an easy month for them of course. I can understand why Whitty would want to minimise the burden on his staff but ultimately it is not for the government to prioritise the staff of the health service above everything else. It is this I suspect that might explain the ‘enthusiasm’ for stringent control measures right now.

One other thing. Dr John Campbell made the point yesterday that hospital staff can be a rather superstitious bunch. Don’t say things are going quite well or better than expected for fear of tempting fate. Sports fans will be familiar with the curse of the commentator, say some is batting really well he’s never getting out, or such and such never serves a double fault and you know what is likely to happen next. Well maybe not but people avoid doing it anyway. I imagine that the pandemic has taken it’s toll on all the government’s advisers. I can understand why if you think you have continually been surprised on the downside with regards to covid it would be difficult to accept any good news that comes along. Omicron looks less severe? Let’s not get our hopes up or tempt fate. There’s a lot of shame (shaming?) in false optimism that gets corrected by events so it’s easier to focus on the negatives. I’ll risk it and be cautiously optimistic.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,227

DougSeal said:

plan b vote in the commons?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Just for Sunday teatime light relief and calming contemplation - some nice heffalumps from the Cotswolds.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/dec/19/five-ice-age-mammoths-unearthed-in-cotswolds-after-220000-years
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Moderna booster is fucking me up a bit.

Nothing like the first AZ dose but I'm pretty useless today.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.
    Really? I thought Max's (at least one of his many) argument was that the wide boys in the City could do a better job. Or that the academics were fascist or something. There's been so many it's hard to keep up.

You didn't answer my question though. If we don't use a model what should we do? Finger in the air?
    As an historian, if I don't have a reliable source on an event in Nazi Germany, I don't use the bulletins of the Deutsches Nachrichten Buro as a substitute. I say, I don't know.

It would be better for them to admit they don't know than to waste time and on incorrect and highly damaging guesswork.

Or do you actually think it's better to use lies that cause harm than to admit ignorance or use past experience (which these models do not) as a guide? Because if so you're clearly not rational and not worth arguing with.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sure. I will send you the instructions to access it in a bit. Its slightly limited, but its better than nothing.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

You've locked yourself down whilst you are sick though. Which is more than Philip would have you do.
    Indeed, though there does need to be a day when that's no longer necessary. I can't say when that is, maybe when everyone has had it at least once or had three doses. Reinfection is pretty low and case severity from reinfection is very low as well. It will be the next big call because that's the point at which the government is saying it's endemic and the risk is small enough to no longer halt your life for 10 days.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

Create some non-stupid models, without the fundamental errors?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Alistair said:

I've just had the Moderna booster. I'm expecting a rough 24-48 hours.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Alistair said:

I had triple Moderna, i got kicked in the knackers each time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Apparently the Treasury DID do this last winter - model the social/economic downsides of lockdown, but they got a terrific roasting for "valuing money over life" (completely absurd of course) and now they are all too scared to even mention it

We are so badly governed it is beyond belief. I for one cannot wait until GPT6 or the Aliens simply take over
    The reality behind Covid isn't too difficult to percieve: essentially; mass panic, hysteria and delusion. In such an atmosphere it is foolish to even try and engage in such discussion. It just feeds off a 21st century western obsession with safety. The impulse to prevent avoidable death is overwhelming. So society will destroy itself, in trying to keep itself safe.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No, no side effects. It was Moderna after my first two Astrazeneca. The only jab I have had any reaction to was my flu virus one in November, when I felt a bit shit for a couple of days.
    I don't even know what vaccine I had, as I forgot to ask. Pfizer again I think.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

It's funny how this mucks some people up and leaves others well alone. No side effects at all from either of my AZ's, and the Moderna caused a very slight sore arm for about two days. Apart from that, fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

In my experience with Moderna, you know quickly how its going to be. The second dose I hardly got home from the vaccine centre when I started to felt like somebody had smashed me over the head with a frying pan.
  • Options

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

No, they have to be inaccurate if they are to be used to guide policy... apparently.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

The reality behind Covid isn't too difficult to percieve: essentially; mass panic, hysteria and delusion. In such an atmosphere it is foolish to even try and engage in such discussion. It just feeds off a 21st century western obsession with safety. The impulse to prevent avoidable death is overwhelming. So society will destroy itself, in trying to keep itself safe.
    Yes. There is also a problem in how we cope with death in a post-religious society. In a word, we don't. Without the solace of an afterlife, we refuse to contemplate the reality of death -

eg look at just how many people die every year. In Britain that is 600,000. 50,000 every month on average, but of course much more in the winter. How many are aware of this, or think about it? Vanishingly few. It is death.. It is too bleak. Turn on Strictly.

If we had more awareness of mortality we might be less frightened of it, and thus able to deal with things like pandemics a lot better

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

You managed to get in and out without being counted? Kudos for that!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

As an historian, if I don't have a reliable source on an event in Nazi Germany, I don't use the bulletins of the Deutsches Nachrichten Buro as a substitute. I say, I don't know.

It would be better for them to admit they don't know than to waste time and on incorrect and highly damaging guesswork.

Or do you actually think it's better to use lies that cause harm than to admit ignorance or use past experience (which these models do not) as a guide? Because if so you're clearly not rational and not worth arguing with.
    That's great so you'd prefer it that the scientific community just says 'dunno'.

Doctor, what are the chances of me surviving this cancer? Dunno.

Weatherman, is it going to rain at the weekend? Dunno.

Epidemiologists, are we going to have 1 million people dying in the next few months? Dunno.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Indeed, though there does need to be a day when that's no longer necessary. I can't say when that is, maybe when everyone has had it at least once or had three doses. Reinfection is pretty low and case severity from reinfection is very low as well. It will be the next big call because that's the point at which the government is saying it's endemic and the risk is small enough to no longer halt your life for 10 days.
    My biggest immediate concern for the health service is the number of staff having to isolate leaving them under manned.
  • Options

Leon said:

Sure. I will send you the instructions to access it in a bit. Its slightly limited, but its better than nothing.
    Most kind
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Fascinating 1999 Wired article about Piers Corbyn when he was almost considered, dare I say it, respectable

https://www.wired.com/1999/02/weather-2/

I used to know Piers, vaguely, when he was a squatters' leader in Elgin Avenue back in the 70s. Anyone who can lead squatters deserves mention in the same hushed tones as Hannibal or Field Marshal Montgomery. In those days he was only slightly dotty, but it's been downhill all the way, unfortunately.
    I knew a finance guy, maths background, who took some time off to develop his model of how part of the financial market went.

I shared the stuff he sent me with a Maths Prof of my aquaintance. Who said, essentially, that the first 5 pages of densely hand-written maths was "not bad" with prices of "quite brilliant". Beyond that it was progressively more and more batshit insane.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

That's great so you'd prefer it that the scientific community just says 'dunno'.

Epidemiologists, are we going to have 1 million people dying in the next few months? Dunno.
    You seem to be missing the point quite spectacularly here. The issue is the assumptions being made in the model are wrong, which is undoubtedly leading to a more pessimistic prediction.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

Yes.

Finally!

Any sane person would think that's a million times better than the pack of lies they're feeding us now,
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

In my experience with Moderna, you know quickly how its going to be. The second dose I hardly got home from the vaccine centre when I started to felt like somebody had smashed me over the head with a frying pan.
    Took about 18 hours to kick in for me.
  • Options

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

There are a few experts on here. I keep asking them to have a go but they won't.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

No, they have to be inaccurate if they are to be used to guide policy... apparently.
    I dont think thats the point that was made

It was that the worst case models are based on us not imposing restrictions as a result of the expected outcome.

Since we always have imposed restrictions its impossible to know whether they would have been accurate had we not
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It will tell you on the little card they give you
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Yes. There is also a problem in how we cope with death in a post-religious society. In a word, we don't. Without the solace of an afterlife, we refuse to contemplate the reality of death -

eg look at just how many people die every year. In Britain that is 600,000. 50,000 every month on average, but of course much more in the winter. How many are aware of this, or think about it? Vanishingly few. It is death.. It is too bleak. Turn on Strictly.

If we had more awareness of mortality we might be less frightened of it, and thus able to deal with things like pandemics a lot better

Most of the global population are still religious though and do believe in an afterlife. So for them confronting death is less of an issue
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

They didn't give me a card.

Edit - I think it will be on the NHS app eventually but it hasn't been uploaded yet.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202

Some posters have been commenting on the motives of those who appear to want to re-introduce more restrictions or possibly another ‘lockdown’ whatever that specifically means. I don’t doubt that there is an appetite for more measures coming from the likes of Whitty and his colleagues. Is this because they are control freaks, power hungry or worst of all secretly fascist? I find that distinctly unlikely and worth us remembering that it’s a great human failing to attribute the worst motives to people we disagree with doubly so at a time of stress or misery.

Sean Fear has suggested that the relationship between the government and Whitty et all was like that between the government and the military in times of war. That’s true and ultimately it is up for the government to decide because advisers only advise. Commanders often have much sympathy with their frontline troops and I suspect Whitty is no different. Clearly the last two years have been a huge burden on health service staff and here we are again asking them to make another big commitment. Not that January is ever an easy month for them of course. I can understand why Whitty would want to minimise the burden on his staff but ultimately it is not for the government to prioritise the staff of the health service above everything else. It is this I suspect that might explain the ‘enthusiasm’ for stringent control measures right now.

One other thing. Dr John Campbell made the point yesterday that hospital staff can be a rather superstitious bunch. Don’t say things are going quite well or better than expected for fear of tempting fate. Sports fans will be familiar with the curse of the commentator, say some is batting really well he’s never getting out, or such and such never serves a double fault and you know what is likely to happen next. Well maybe not but people avoid doing it anyway. I imagine that the pandemic has taken it’s toll on all the government’s advisers. I can understand why if you think you have continually been surprised on the downside with regards to covid it would be difficult to accept any good news that comes along. Omicron looks less severe? Let’s not get our hopes up or tempt fate. There’s a lot of shame (shaming?) in false optimism that gets corrected by events so it’s easier to focus on the negatives. I’ll risk it and be cautiously optimistic.

Out of curiosity how has John Campbell got such a profile? Ive seen a few bits of his stuff and he appears somewhat normal which is maybe why hes got the profile...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

The panic, hysteria and delusion is predominantly coming from the "mad scientists gonna lock us down forever cos they luv it" brigade.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Not quite.

For the first time, technology has enabled Governments to adopt a different response to a pandemic. It is possible for hundreds of thousands of admin based staff to work in their own homes rather than like battery hens at banks of desks in some remote town or city.

Incredible medical advances have enabled life-saving vaccines to be produced not in years but months.

When we had the Hong Kong Flu in the late 60s, none of that existed. We just had to "keep buggering on" as the saying has it. Unquestionably, lives have been saved by the progress we have made and we are now able to put the priority of public health above the priority of economic wealth.

Yes, there have been deaths, both due to the virus and to the psychological and emotional impacts of the measures taken to prevent it. Had we done nothing in March 2020, would more lives have been lost? Unquestionably. However, this cannot and must not ignore the hidden "costs" of the virus which aren't so much the lost businesses, bad though it is but the suicides and the deaths by abuse (whether physical or psychological) or the deaths of those who couldn't get the treatment they needed for other conditions.

Even now, we witter on about data models - the biggest risk group for Omicron isn't as much the unvaccinated but those with other health problems such as those in hospital.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

The panic, hysteria and delusion is predominantly coming from the "mad scientists gonna lock us down forever cos they luv it" brigade.
    I call them iSage. It's shorter.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

When a close relative was diagnosed with inopperable cancer, the specialist (top of his field, wrote definitive papers on the particular type of cancer) said, when asked, he had no idea how long they would live. People were always confounding him, apparently.

He did describe in simple, clear detail, the stages that would occur. Because that he had information for. In great detail, backed by peer review publications (I asked).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

Yes.

Finally!

Any sane person would think that's a million times better than the pack of lies they're feeding us now,
    Great. I hope you get the 'dunno' answer the next time you ask someone a tricky question where you want their expertise.

Pack of lies? You sound a bit like a conspiracy theorist. You do realise that don't you?
  • Options

Also, from yesterday

So number of boosters has stalled in the 800,000s per day and actually fell today… does this reflect a capacity constraint or is demand beginning to fall back after the opening-up-to-all at the beginning of the week… what more can the Government do to scare encourage more to do the right thing…

or that Wales didn't announce their stats today? and that if you go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and look at boosters data, you'll see that 10 of the 11 weeks show the same pattern.

and that pattern returns. SHOCKED.

Don't. Chase. Daily. Figures.

Hey, don’t have a go at me matey (the bold quote above)… I’m just trying to hype interest in a competition to guess the daily maximum… 😁 an update on which will be posted shortly…

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Most kind
    Interacting with creative AI is massively addicting. My access to Art AI i have, i now have a scary number of physical canvases of results i have achieved on their way from the printers.....i only meant to have a few printed out!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    For those interested, a good piece on the unintended consequences of Defund the Police

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/burlington-vermont-defunded-police-force-s-happened-rcna8409
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Most of the global population are still religious though and do believe in an afterlife. So for them confronting death is less of an issue
    Have you read "The American Way of Death" by Jessica Mitford (1963) ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_American_Way_of_Death
  • Options
    RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

You seem to be missing the point quite spectacularly here. The issue is the assumptions being made in the model are wrong, which is undoubtedly leading to a more pessimistic prediction.
    Which assumptions? Perhaps they are meant to be wrong or rather, perhaps no one knows the truth of the matter yet?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    Today's Covid infection figures

Daily
    Last 7 days

The weekly figure is 187,126 (51.9%) higher than last week
  • Options
    Looking at the Danish data for Omicron, https://files.ssi.dk/covid19/omikron/statusrapport/rapport-omikronvarianten-19122021-hp16, it would appear that they are identifying approximately the same number of Omicron cases as the UK each day. This is bound to change at some point due to a smaller population.

This would suggest that Omicron was seeded in Demark about the same time as the UK and is spreading as quickly.

The Danish data is representative up to about 13 December, so there may be a difference between reported date and test date for the UK and Danish omicron data.

• Options

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

I dont think thats the point that was made

It was that the worst case models are based on us not imposing restrictions as a result of the expected outcome.

Since we always have imposed restrictions its impossible to know whether they would have been accurate had we not
    No, these models always included different scenarios for what would happen if restriction A, B, C, etc.. was imposed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Unlike Michael Gove and Brexit Britain, the NHS App holds all the cards
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

Which assumptions? Perhaps they are meant to be wrong or rather, perhaps no one knows the truth of the matter yet?
    Perhaps the assumptions are meant to be wrong?

And surely you know what assumptions are being disputed, unless you've not actually been reading the comments of those you've been criticising?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Your regular reminder suicides are down.
  • Options
    Competition Update:

Highest Boosters to date: 904,958 (today)
    Nearest estimate: @Richard_Nabavi (896,322)
    Next nearest: @Nigelb (925,001)

Eliminated entries:
    @Endillion 525,600
    @MightyAlex 700,000
    @Cyclefree 723,527
    @Eabhal 825,000
    @carnyx 854,217
  • Options
    Is this really what got Mad Nad chucked out

Seriously?

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1472544244728582144/photo/1
  • Options

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

When a close relative was diagnosed with inopperable cancer, the specialist (top of his field, wrote definitive papers on the particular type of cancer) said, when asked, he had no idea how long they would live. People were always confounding him, apparently.

He did describe in simple, clear detail, the stages that would occur. Because that he had information for. In great detail, backed by peer review publications (I asked).
    Whatever works for him and his patients.

But some patients might want to really know.. so they can plan things etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Yes - there is that. But also, the point made by Lord Sumption in the first of his Reith lectures; policy and law is increasingly driven by a desire for safety. An overwhelming urge that is impossible to resist. The way that we have dealt with Covid is entirely in line with this phenomenon.

(edit- this is possibly caused by the decline of religion, but could also be the rise of the belief in progress as a religion)

The 600k deaths is interesting. I pointed out earlier that the 2020 figure was not out sync with historical averages. I suspect it will be the same for 2021. So with Covid, we will have just moved in to a biosurveillance state, at unthinkably great economic cost, to prevent avoidable deaths. The latest Omicron panic indicates that things will not go back to normal, and that the Covid era is a paradigm shift in how we deal with disease.

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I call them iSage. It's shorter.
    I, Sage.

https://youtu.be/rn8IRqQfhaI?t=93
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I don't believe the boffins are "mad", but it has to be asked why SAGE & Co are so relentlessly and wrongly pessimistic, time and again, and so eager for lockdown. It is a legitimate and important question

At least one - Michie - is a professed communist, who admits her desire for a reordered society with greater state control. so she's doggy. Kick her out immediately

Of the rest, who knows. I do believe that some of iSage are getting off on the fame. Someone like Pagel is building an entire media career out of alarmism. She now has 175,000 followers and is an important influencer, writes for the papers. Etc. Before Covid she probably had 9 followers. An obscure scientist doing obscure science. Now she is famous and probably making money. None of that would have happened if her tweets had been measured and her predictions on the modest side, rather than scary and clickbaity

As for the others, there might be further explanations. Groupthink, for a start. Also a tendency to value healthcare above all else in the medics. Plus a desire to protect the NHS. Along with an inability to understand wider social costs?

Some of them strike me as actually quite dim. Remember Van Tam and his mask advice. Likewise Harries. Simply over-promoted time-servers? I have never met them so who knows.

• Options
    ASoprano said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

Whatever works for him and his patients.

But some patients might want to really know.. so they can plan things etc.
    His crystal ball might not have been working.

Do you not actually realise how stupid that comment sounds? I mean - really! 'They might want to know?' Well the only way to know would be to commit fecking suicide on an appointed day!
  • Options

Also, from yesterday

So number of boosters has stalled in the 800,000s per day and actually fell today… does this reflect a capacity constraint or is demand beginning to fall back after the opening-up-to-all at the beginning of the week… what more can the Government do to scare encourage more to do the right thing…

or that Wales didn't announce their stats today? and that if you go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and look at boosters data, you'll see that 10 of the 11 weeks show the same pattern.

and that pattern returns. SHOCKED.

Don't. Chase. Daily. Figures.

Hey, don’t have a go at me matey (the bold quote above)… I’m just trying to hype interest in a competition to guess the daily maximum… 😁 an update on which will be posted shortly…

Fair enough!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

RobD said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

And have a good one.

I’m still optimistic. As I said before, my feel is that this new variant will rip through populations in every country fast, after which covid will hopefully and essentially be over as a global pandemic. Because it will have run of new people to infect.

Yes, there’ll be local outbreaks here and there, where by some accident there are clumps of unvaccinated and/or uninfected people, but the virus will add itself to the collection of winter viruses that come round every year and carry off not insignificant numbers, and likely winter flu deaths may double or treble for a few years to come. And people will take getting their annual jab a lot more seriously.

But by next summer the idea that the news agenda and public policy in every nation is focused on covid as the number one threat should be gone. There’ll be a potential dividend for the countries that come to terms with this earliest.

Just as many people struggled with the idea that life was about to dramatically change, when the virus first appeared in the news at the turn of 2019/20, so we find it hard to imagine that, pretty soon, it will be gone as a newsworthy phenomenon. Yet both are clear if you look back to the history of 1918-19.

In the meantime, politicians and health experts are understandably keen to avoid a Bergamo scenario unfolding over the next few weeks. Which is fair enough, and we should all do what we can to try and catch the virus next year rather than this.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Is this really what got Mad Nad chucked out

Seriously?

https://twitter.com/tobyperkinsmp/status/1472544244728582144/photo/1

I suspect it wasn't the first message that wasn't related to the ones that proceeded it.

As I said yesterday - the interesting thing is that a whole set of Tory MPs are working out how to remove Boris in a way that means he actually goes...
This discussion has been closed.