Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should really worry Tories: anti-CON tactical voting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Scott_xP said:
    "Go and fucking get vaccinated you c***s" or a variation of it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    A special issue thanking Lord Frost for Brexit?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859

DougSeal said:

eek said:

Anyone think the person making the comment here could be Tim ex of this Parish?

https://twitter.com/KevinPascoe/status/1472484644591484928

I believe you are correct, and I chuckled at the comment down thread labelling him a "right wing strategist". I suppose we are all Tories now.
    Problem is I think evidence exists that will show that what is being said is correct.

Remember that during the 2015 Labour leadership election, Corbyn was repeatedly asked whether he condemned murders by the IRA but refused to answer, saying only: 'I condemn what was done by the British Army as well as the other sides.'

and all 4 murders from 1979 to 1990 were by the IRA...
    Not nearly the same thing as “supporting”
    Plus he said he condemned all murders on both sides so doesnt sound like Tims comment is defensible in law to me.

Perhaps we will see.
    I do not for a second think that Corbyn supports murder of any MPs by anybody. But it would make for a fascinating court case. That he has associated himself with terrorists and terror groups for decades would come out, his wreath-laying for dead terrorists etc etc etc - it would all be laundered.

So why would Jezbollah put himself through all that?
    To stop dickheads like this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/23/tory-councillor-pays-jeremy-corbyn-damages-for-fake-liverpool-terror-tweet

See also Ben Bradley and at least 4 other cases I am aware of. In all cases a forthright apology rather than a court case resulted but we all know how stubborn Tim was
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

Scott_xP said:
    Over Westland, Denis Healey famously said 'the Prime Minister's devious hand is afoot.'

Something similar here?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977

@Dura_Ace do you know of any half decent electric bikes/brands with a low/no top tube?

I’ve got a Lafree Giant like that. I want to sell it, if you’re interested
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    Cookie said:

This is a quite good critique of Neil Ferguson's 5000 deaths a day claim, though others like @Andy_Cooke may be able to see flaws that I cannot.
    https://www.statsjamie.co.uk/5000deaths/

I read their paper as well.
    On the one hand, as always, the media have grabbed the biggest and most pessimistic number.

On the other, I wasn't that impressed with the assumptions. Unless I missed something, they seem to be extrapolating from the decrease in neutralising antibody effectiveness straight to a comparable decrease in effectiveness against severe illness and death, which, from my layman's understanding of immunity including B-cell and T-cell response, is just incorrect.

It felt rushed to me, and I've mentally discounted that one (unlike the Warwick stuff I mentioned above). Of course, it could be motivated reasoning for me (because I would prefer the Warwick one to be true), but it also seems too much in violation of the indications we do have to date. And the indications we have had on T-cell performance retention against Omicron have been far too positive to be comparable to this paper.

It's a pity, because most of the previous ones have been excellent; I do think this one was possibly rushed and they scampered over the crucial one of efficacy against severe disease because they didn't have the information yet and incorrectly defaulted to a wrong assumption that damages the entire thing.

(We also seem to be on the most optimistic end of the efficacy of boosters against symptomatic illness, and the rate of rollout of boosters)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693

The gallant Burn-Murdoch quite righty highlighting the very many women who are improving our understanding of COVID after a frankly embarrassing article in one of the Sundays on "the dishy men who are informing us about COVID"

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1472518914328473605?s=20

That's a very nice thread.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

Scott_xP said:
    That's dated the 17th - so it's probably just get boosted.

It can't be don't go out as that would mean the Government needs to give money to pubs and restaurants - best let people's personal fears stop them going there instead.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Scott_xP said:
    The chatter on Twitter believes it is London Bridge. But DYOR.
  • Options

@Dura_Ace do you know of any half decent electric bikes/brands with a low/no top tube?

How do you get Apple TV, anyway?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    You think HMG would have to pay for coverage of that?

Edit: also, as @dixiedean pointed out, the message is dated from the 17th.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    There's a cynical part of me wondering if we could power up the Nightingales specifically for vaccine-refuseniks with covid, and staff them with NHS staff who've refused vaccination rather than fire them.

The problem is that:
    - As I understand it, most of the NHS staff who've refused vaccines aren't at the sharp end, but more ancillary staff
    - We'd need a lot more than the antivaxxer NHS staff to cope with the antivaxxers who've collided painfully with reality, even if they were all doctors and nurses.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,432
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes, that's probably it.
    The natural emotional reaction to government attempting to communicate nowadays is one of terror.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

There's a cynical part of me wondering if we could power up the Nightingales specifically for vaccine-refuseniks with covid, and staff them with NHS staff who've refused vaccination rather than fire them.

The problem is that:
    - As I understand it, most of the NHS staff who've refused vaccines aren't at the sharp end, but more ancillary staff
    - We'd need a lot more than the antivaxxer NHS staff to cope with the antivaxxers who've collided painfully with reality, even if they were all doctors and nurses.

The issue as well is, the staff would get infected and then be off sick...
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    edited December 2021
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rather than be cryptic, London Bridge refers to the Queen's passing in particular.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sequitur?
  • Options
    Tom Powdrill
    @TomPowdrill
    ·
    2m
    Just one poll but fair to say champagne corks will be popping in Central Office.

Nothing to do with the poll. They’ll just be having another Xmas party.

thesun.co.uk
    Silent Night is Britain’s favourite Christmas song, poll finds
    SILENT NIGHT is the most magical Christmas carol, a poll has shown. The 1818 festive song — composed by Austrian teacher Franz Xaver Gruber — got a quarter of the vote. Research also found 81 per c…
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Lord Frost promoted to King Frost?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Photo of Boris at the Christmas party? ;-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    eek said:

Tom Powdrill
    @TomPowdrill
    ·
    2m
    Just one poll but fair to say champagne corks will be popping in Central Office.

thesun.co.uk
    SILENT NIGHT is the most magical Christmas carol, a poll has shown. The 1818 festive song — composed by Austrian teacher Franz Xaver Gruber — got a quarter of the vote. Research also found 81 per c…

That will go nicely with the other Christmas classic involving a Mr Gruber.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506
    edited December 2021

I see that Morrisons are selling pork fillets at £6/kg.

Weren't we promised a shortage of pork because all the pigs were going to be culled.

Meanwhile there are mounds of British carrots being flogged at 19p/kg.

Ditto British parsnips, cabbages, swede and doubtless others things we were told had rotted in the fields.

I don't see a huge contradiction there.

The amount of pork that has been disposed of is really quite small - allegedly 30k carcasses (some of which will have actually been used). The UK pig population is just over 5 million. Up 4% or 200k in the last 12 months.
    https://ahdb.org.uk/news/uk-pig-population-was-higher-in-june#:~:text=According to provisional figures published,been rolled over from 2020.

Lots of over-reaching by industry bodies from everywhere as it all adjusts.

But also remember that Morrisons own their own pork processor and have a very stable supply chain.

https://www.morrisons-farming.com/our-farmers/pork/
    https://www.morrisons-farming.com/globalassets/farming/our-farmers/morrisons_-_pigs_final_new_song-proxy.mp4
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    eek said:

Tom Powdrill
    @TomPowdrill
    ·
    2m

thesun.co.uk

Just when I was thinking the public were idiots too...
  • Options
    Senator Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia, said on Sunday that he could not support President Biden’s signature $2.2 trillion social safety net, climate and tax bill, all but dooming his party’s drive to pass the measure as written.

NY Times
  • Options
    eek said:

Tom Powdrill
    @TomPowdrill
    ·
    2m

thesun.co.uk

Had to learn that for O Level GCE German. Luckily didn’t have sing it in the Oral exam!
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Get Boosted nOw I expect. Twatter has a 0-26 record (at best) when it comes to calling the queen's death.
  • Options
    Biden's flagship Bill going down?

• Options
    MattW said:

Weren't we promised a shortage of pork because all the pigs were going to be culled.

Ditto British parsnips, cabbages, swede and doubtless others things we were told had rotted in the fields.

I don't see a huge contradiction there.

The amount of pork that has been disposed of is really quite small - allegedly 30k carcasses (some of which will have actually been used). The UK pig population is just under 5 million.

Lots of over-reaching by industry bodies from everywhere as it all adjusts.
    The claim was pigs would have to be culled because there wasn't capacity at the abattoirs.

Well if there wasn't capacity at the abattoirs then prices in the supermarkets should have increased.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    No, it'll be Ther Rules Of Lockdown. Previous announcements have been BJ at a press conf but a. nobody believes him any more b. they are sick of fuckups of the rule 3 and a half sort c. he has realised that either it's a pc and he has to answer questions or it's an Address to the Nation and sir Keith gets a free hit next day.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Get Boosted nOw I expect. Twatter has a 0-26 record (at best) when it comes to calling the queen's death.
    So HMtQ is eternal from Bayesian inference?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    They will get it right eventually....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Assuming you are talking about @ExStrategist - yes it is.
    Oh dear could be in for a costly legal bill if anyone dobs in him.

Corbyn has form at setting his lawyers on people who make defamatory comments such as that one
    I don't think he'd want to try and prove that was defamatory. The Streisand effect applies...
    He will and has the resources to do so
    Really? How does a man who was bankrupted not so many years ago and has no source of income beyond his earnings as an MP have so much money?
    Not bankrupted, that google knows about anyway.
    He may not have been formally bankrupted, but his house was repossessed and his possessions forfeited to his creditors. He may have gone into a voluntary arrangement.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/47gyy-jeremy039s-legal-fund
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Wouldn't need a state sponsored wrap around for that. It's front page news either way. It's very likely to be some variation of get vaccinated with maybe some choice stats on unvaccinated people getting seriously ill compared to those who are.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

DougSeal said:

eek said:

I believe you are correct, and I chuckled at the comment down thread labelling him a "right wing strategist". I suppose we are all Tories now.
    Problem is I think evidence exists that will show that what is being said is correct.

Remember that during the 2015 Labour leadership election, Corbyn was repeatedly asked whether he condemned murders by the IRA but refused to answer, saying only: 'I condemn what was done by the British Army as well as the other sides.'

Plus he said he condemned all murders on both sides so doesnt sound like Tims comment is defensible in law to me.

Perhaps we will see.
    It's worth remembering that Corbyn has a very recent victory, including a groveling apology, against a Tory councillor who labelled him a terrorist supporter. Worth noting that Corbyn gave the damages to charity.
    Worth a read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/23/tory-councillor-pays-jeremy-corbyn-damages-for-fake-liverpool-terror-tweet
  • Options

Biden's flagship Bill going down?

Not exactly surprising Manchin isn't really a Democrat and it's ironic as West Virginia would be one of the places that really benefited.

Sadly the people benefiting are not the people who pay for Manchin's re-election costs
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    When she finally does go, Twitter will say "she's not dead, it's all a lie!"
  • Options

The problem is that:

Good idea.

As to the problems you've identified the vaccinated will not care.

And they're about 95% of voters.

The anti-vaxxers have had a year to make their beds instead they chose to shat in them. Now they can lay in them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Chameleon said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    So HMtQ is eternal from Bayesian inference?
    There was an elderly Irishman who was always markedly cheerful on Boxing Day. He explained that he had noticed a very clear pattern that whenever he survived till Christmas, he always survived till the following Easter.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,376
    Something to think about

If we merge to 0-39 age groups to together...

This is why the hospitalisations in London have been rising, but not rocketing out of sight

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

DougSeal said:

eek said:

Perhaps we will see.
    It's worth remembering that Corbyn has a very recent victory, including a groveling apology, against a Tory councillor who labelled him a terrorist supporter. Worth noting that Corbyn gave the damages to charity.
    Worth a read:
    Edit - apologies, BJO beat me to it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

@kyf_100 ’s very powerful testimony shows how much damage on mental health is being inflicted. For all the talk about mental health being a priority, it’s clear it is low down on the list of priorities.

My best to @kyf_100

Also, I’m sick of middle class public sector professionals with a guaranteed wage and guaranteed pension telling everyone else that they have to sacrifice. Maybe they can show the courage of their convictions by offering to voluntarily give up a percentage of their very generous pension donations with the cash being used to support those suffering disproportionately from the crisis.

Heh, thanks. I'm much better now, thanks to good friends and several months of near-normality, though the thought we are heading into yet another two or three months minimum of the same bleakness fills me with utter terror. I don't want to slide back down into that dark, dark place again. Because next time I'm not sure I'll get out again.

We were told if we got the jabs, it would end. Then we were told if we got the booster, it would end. Now... when does it end?
    Great question. When does it end. As asked by Beth Rigby at that first BoJo news conference.

And of course I wish you all the very best.

I have been vocally anti lockdown since almost the beginning (not as much as @contrarian ) not because of the medical outcome it achieves. No shit you make it illegal to meet people and the number of infectious diseases plummets.

But because of the precedent. Cock up or conspiracy we are now in a place where lockdowns are a common tool of government.

All those "I was then I'm not now" PBers should hang their heads in shame because this was the obvious end point.
    But this is plainly ridiculous. By your logic no one should ever support any lockdowns because they might become more acceptable and frequent

That’s like saying you should never go to hospital otherwise it will become a habit

Bizarre
    I'm not 100% sure anyone should ever support any lockdown.

What possible reason could there be to have a legal mandate about who you are allowed to have in your home.

You and The Francester are frankly doing more damage to yourselves than you realise with all your constant crappy posts.

Of course when faced with it, as many have, you lash out. And that's fine. But for you two, PB is a super unhealthy place but of course caveat emptor go for your lives. And let's have a funny charge that I am terrified and projecting and blah blah blah.

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

But seriously. I know that you need a febrile atmosphere to produce your best-knapped flints but not everyone is as robust as you are, as many on PB have told us. Be careful how you wield your undoubted gifts on here.
    I think you are unfair to the “not now, but then” group.

Lockdowns had a role. To buy time until vaccines. Which they did. They made it possible to have a normal life with an endemic disease.

So I am proud to be in the “lockdown then but not now” camp
    As I said of course they were effective. But as a policy tool they were and are beyond the pale.
    That’s a value statement, though. The public health situation necessitated extreme action. Unfortunately politicians don’t have the strength of character to resist

BTW… “beyond the pale” is on the banned list these day as quasi-racist…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cabinet Office Minister Steve Barclay will chair a meeting between the government's emergency committee, Cobra, and the leaders of the devolved nations at 17:00 GMT.

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

Is that a calculated insult or does it show that they don't expect anything useful to come of the meeting?
    Or both?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The problem is that:

The issue as well is, the staff would get infected and then be off sick...
    Q "What is it?"
    A "I've got COVID"
    Q "As luck would have it, there is a bed for you to sleep in, 2 rows to your right and 3 down. While you are heading that way, you can empty some bedpans."
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

@kyf_100 ’s very powerful testimony shows how much damage on mental health is being inflicted. For all the talk about mental health being a priority, it’s clear it is low down on the list of priorities.

My best to @kyf_100

Also, I’m sick of middle class public sector professionals with a guaranteed wage and guaranteed pension telling everyone else that they have to sacrifice. Maybe they can show the courage of their convictions by offering to voluntarily give up a percentage of their very generous pension donations with the cash being used to support those suffering disproportionately from the crisis.

Heh, thanks. I'm much better now, thanks to good friends and several months of near-normality, though the thought we are heading into yet another two or three months minimum of the same bleakness fills me with utter terror. I don't want to slide back down into that dark, dark place again. Because next time I'm not sure I'll get out again.

We were told if we got the jabs, it would end. Then we were told if we got the booster, it would end. Now... when does it end?
    Great question. When does it end. As asked by Beth Rigby at that first BoJo news conference.

I have been vocally anti lockdown since almost the beginning (not as much as @contrarian ) not because of the medical outcome it achieves. No shit you make it illegal to meet people and the number of infectious diseases plummets.

But because of the precedent. Cock up or conspiracy we are now in a place where lockdowns are a common tool of government.

All those "I was then I'm not now" PBers should hang their heads in shame because this was the obvious end point.
    But this is plainly ridiculous. By your logic no one should ever support any lockdowns because they might become more acceptable and frequent

That’s like saying you should never go to hospital otherwise it will become a habit

Bizarre

What possible reason could there be to have a legal mandate about who you are allowed to have in your home.

You and The Francester are frankly doing more damage to yourselves than you realise with all your constant crappy posts.

Of course when faced with it, as many have, you lash out. And that's fine. But for you two, PB is a super unhealthy place but of course caveat emptor go for your lives. And let's have a funny charge that I am terrified and projecting and blah blah blah.

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

But seriously. I know that you need a febrile atmosphere to produce your best-knapped flints but not everyone is as robust as you are, as many on PB have told us. Be careful how you wield your undoubted gifts on here.

Lockdowns had a role. To buy time until vaccines. Which they did. They made it possible to have a normal life with an endemic disease.

As I said of course they were effective. But as a policy tool they were and are beyond the pale.
    That’s a value statement, though. The public health situation necessitated extreme action. Unfortunately politicians don’t have the strength of character to resist

Is BTP an Irish thing? I thought it just meant beyond Norman settlement. or is there some other thing?
  • Options
    Re food shortages I now have far too many Pigs in Blankets.

What the hell was I thinking!
  • Options

You do understand what all those cancelled Christmas dinners means don't you?

Absolute fucktons of large packs of everything to flood the market. Again.
    Yet the same thing happens every year.

Predictions of shortages followed by a glut at Christmas.

And we're still waiting for the pasta shortage which you predicted.

Or are you claiming now that the pasta in the supermarket comes from cancelled Christmas dinners.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Corbyn has form at setting his lawyers on people who make defamatory comments such as that one
    I don't think he'd want to try and prove that was defamatory. The Streisand effect applies...
    Really? How does a man who was bankrupted not so many years ago and has no source of income beyond his earnings as an MP have so much money?
    He may not have been formally bankrupted, but his house was repossessed and his possessions forfeited to his creditors. He may have gone into a voluntary arrangement.
    " man of integrity, honesty and humility"

I'd call him many things, and none of those.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Seems unlikely, unless the Queen's death is a planned event
  • Options

DougSeal said:

eek said:

Perhaps we will see.
    Worth a read:
    Edit - apologies, BJO beat me to it.
    Claiming to be Penniless now

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/ex-tory-councillor-left-penniless-22295393
  • Options
    How many ways can Spurs not score?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

Is BTP an Irish thing? I thought it just meant beyond Norman settlement. or is there some other thing?
    capital p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale
  • Options

Or are you claiming now that the pasta in the supermarket comes from cancelled Christmas dinners.
    Every year since when?

Is the demand side of economics a complete fallacy?

Have you been looking forward all year to this attack on @RochdalePioneers and now omicron has spoilt it but you've thought Fuck it, let's plough on anyway, can't wait till Christmas 2022?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

capital p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale
    It's Pail, and "There's a hole in my bucket" refers to illegals coming in.

Oh, and it also inspired to Beatles "Sea of Holes".
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    eek said:

Anyone see any faults in the argument below - I can't think of any

Dmitry Grozoubinski
    @DmitryOpines
    If you can't get Brexit done to your satisfaction with an 80 seat majority purged of non-believers, Boris "Get Brexit Done" Johnson as PM, and Lord "I Will Fight EU" Frost as EU Negotiations Tzar, perhaps it is your expectations and not cruel fate or sabotage are the problem?

We did get Brexit done. I would be happy with the latest EU offer on Northern Ireland.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Shocker.

Perhaps you would like also to follow Cllr Nickerson down the "terrorist sympathiser" route instead
  • Options
    edited December 2021

The turkeys are fed with the leftovers from the spaghetti harvest.

So, when there was a shortage of people to slaughter turkeys, and they reduced the number of turkeys, there was an increase in spaghetti going spare.

Hence, turkey shortage = pasta surplus
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Fun how everything can give us an angle to blame Boris. Low prices? Boris's fault! High wages? Boris's fault!
    I'm no fan of the man, but some things just don't call for blame.

Huh? I keep saying that people are cancelling under their own steam. I am not blaming Boris for this.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

It means beyond the border of centralized government in the Pale, into areas of clan rule.

The idea that it should be banned is ridiculous. Should we stop saying "to be frank" too? The Irish are wealthier than we are. It is about time they got over their historical chippiness regarding stuff long past living memory.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Probably they want anyone that pops into Morrissons tomorrow morning to see lots of “go and get a vaccine you shlaaags”
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

It means beyond the border of centralized government in the Pale, into areas of clan rule.

The idea that it should be banned is ridiculous. Should we stop saying "to be frank" too? The Irish are wealthier than we are. It is about time they got over their historical chippiness regarding stuff long past living memory.
    IIRC some people in Ireland use it a short hand for the "Dublin and the rich barstewards near there". Sort of like "Home Counties" in England, but with a hard negative edge to it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Have you read The Golden Bough?

Solstice on Tuesday. Just saying.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Aaaand, just like that, the two week "circuit breaker" morphs into "at least a month of lockdown"

"NO XMAS CHEER Sage doom mongers want a MONTH-long circuit breaker lockdown banning household mixing over Christmas"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17086101/doom-monger-scientists-month-lockdown-christmas/

Twas ever thus. They loathe the sight of people having fun and getting on with life. If the pandemic is over they slide back into irrelevance.
    Two weeks yesterday. One month today. It'll be three months by Xmas Eve.

I am not prepared to do more than two weeks. End of discussion.
    How will you rebel? If the pubs, caffs and shops are shut, they are shut. Ditto everything else

I am seriously looking at flights to Bangkok. A friend there says life is reasonable, bars and restaurants are open but fairly quiet (you have to eat to drink, but it is liberally interpreted to include beer nuts)

He says there is a good chance Thailand will close the border to the UK in early January, if not before

I could go out there and get stranded, for ages, and then Thailand also goes into lockdown anyway, so I am basically confined to a hotel and can't see anyone.

However it might well be worth the risk for me, because three+ months of winter lockdown in the UK, like last year, would likely break me

A resort hotel suite with a private pool or hot tub?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Shocker.

Perhaps you would like also to follow Cllr Nickerson down the "terrorist sympathiser" route instead
    Immature, shallow, narcissistic anti semitic cnt is fine. No need to go overboard.
  • Options
    Charles said:

By who?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Moderna booster is fucking me up a bit.

Nothing like the first AZ dose but I'm pretty useless today.

I've just had the Moderna booster. I'm expecting a rough 24-48 hours.
    It's funny how this mucks some people up and leaves others well alone. No side effects at all from either of my AZ's, and the Moderna caused a very slight sore arm for about two days. Apart from that, fine.
    Prior infection + any vaccine
    2x MRNA
    3x MRNA

Cause side effects. Other combos not so much
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Shocker.

I don't really see why you'd call my opinion a 'shocker'. I don't think Corbyn has integrity, and I sure as heck don't think he is honest. I'm probably on the weakest ground with 'humility': but he does seem to like having his acolytes around him.

The guy is an anti-Semite who thinks he is anti-racist. I know you disagree with that characterisation, but that's my honest view.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Liz Truss replaces Lord Frost as lead negotiatior with the EU on the NIP

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1472628149829648385?s=20
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Has anyone mentioned the "in hospital" number in Guateng today?

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Health Ministry announced that there are currently 2,747 people in hospital in the province with CV19. That is down from 3,274 yesterday.

Now, I'm sure there's a weekend effect... BUT... that's not a small drop. That's a 16% fall in the number of people in hospital with CV19. At the very least, that suggests lots of people are getting released from hospital.

(Some of you will say 'backfill of data still to come', and that's very true. But I'm using 'day of' releases. So if there is an effect, it's highly unlikely to be a big directional one.)

Come on Robert. It’s irrelevant what’s happening in South Africa. Chris Witty said so on the telly.
  • Options
    Charles said:

pigeon said:

tlg86 said:

Alistair said:

Moderna booster is fucking me up a bit.

Nothing like the first AZ dose but I'm pretty useless today.

I've just had the Moderna booster. I'm expecting a rough 24-48 hours.
    It's funny how this mucks some people up and leaves others well alone. No side effects at all from either of my AZ's, and the Moderna caused a very slight sore arm for about two days. Apart from that, fine.
    Prior infection + any vaccine
    2x MRNA
    3x MRNA

Cause side effects. Other combos not so much
    AZ, AZ, infection, Pfizer.
    Side effects: none that I can pin on the jabs. I was very cold the evening after the Pfizer jab but I'm fairly sure that's because I was outside and it was very cold.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Richardr said:

Charles said:

By who?
    Pale people?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sequitur?
    Non
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hospital pass to a potential successor.
    Crafty.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Politics for all says that as Max suggested the wraparound is to encourage people to get jabbed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

How many ways can Spurs not score?

And over and over and over again.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Hospital pass to a potential successor.
    Crafty.
    He must have got the idea from the papers….
  • Options
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Politics for all says that as Max suggested the wraparound is to encourage people to get jabbed.
    It’s an expensive way of making sure casual punters don’t see what’s on the front pages!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    rcs1000 said:

That is good news :) its what we would expect given cases in the province started falling 5 days ago, (yesterday IIRC a 44% reduction in the number of cases compared to same day last week)

Acknowledging the caveats you mention, we should be at anybody who is calling for a lockdown. and for what its worth My money is on the Dutch cutting there 4 week lockdown early and admitting it was not necessary.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

It's like being too rich or too handsome. It just ain't possible to have too many Pigs in Blankets!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I would expect that the powers that be would try to get it to run such that the Royal family and the government get at least 12 hours lead time on the general public knowing. So not out of the question that this is how operation London Bridge would run.
    However, my expectation is that it's encouraging people to get vaxxed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I hope she does not live up to my expectations of her....
  • Options

"the same thing happens every year" - we're talking about mass cancellation of people eating out and the surplus of big size catering packs. That does not happen every year.

Pasta? A bad harvest in Canada put shortages / price hikes into play. As I know you are both a Brexit foamer and trying to make out that I am trying everything to Brexit, this one had sod all to do with it.
  • Options

No such thing as too many pigs in blankets.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,978
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

The people who still buy papers are generally older and vaccinated. The people who aren’t vaccinated probably don’t buy papers. So a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    As an aside, it's pre-Omicron and all, but Germany's case rate is coming down again: their seven day average is down to 40,000 from 60,000 a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Every year since when?

Have you been looking forward all year to this attack on @RochdalePioneers and now omicron has spoilt it but you've thought Fuck it, let's plough on anyway, can't wait till Christmas 2022?
    Hardly an attack. More a petulant strop from someone who doesn't even know what the accusation is they are making. WTF would forecasted pasta shortages caused by a horrendous harvest in Canada have to do with truck drivers?
  • Options

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

The people who still buy papers are generally older and vaccinated. The people who aren’t vaccinated probably don’t buy papers. So a waste of time and money.
    That’s why they are paying for the covers so that everyone walking into the shop sees them.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Every year since when?

Hardly an attack. More a petulant strop from someone who doesn't even know what the accusation is they are making. WTF would forecasted pasta shortages caused by a horrendous harvest in Canada have to do with truck drivers?
    It comes as news to me that they even grow spaghetti in Canada.
  • Options

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

It is to re-assure the people who do buy papers, who also vote, that the government are doing what they can.....
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2021

You are in Westminster?
  • Options

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Which is why they are wraparound.
    You don't need to buy one to see one.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    Leon said:

Fpt for max

I have those people in my friendship group - and in my family

They chortle away about “extra Ocado deliveries of Prosecco”, and building a fucking pizza oven in the garden for their sneaky parties, then they say “lockdown isn’t all bad” as if they’ve really considered how it impacts the other 50%+ of the country

PB is also bad for this. It skews to the old, affluent and introverted. Lockdown is PERFECT for them. So they chortle away

I wonder this time if young people will simply rebel. I would if I was 21 or 24. If you’re that age you’re seeing some of the greatest, most important years of your life being trashed, one after another. Instead of giddy young life you get a jail sentence.

Fuck that shit

I had you in the former group but nice that you think about the youngsters.
  • Options

Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

And I'm not seeing online or tv ads saying Get vacced you cnut. Mind you an unsourced politicsforall tweet is not worth the pixels it's printed in, they probably got the idea from here in the first place.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Every year since when?

Spaghetti no. Wheat yes...
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

HYUFD said:

Smart by Boris...let Truss sort out the mess he & Frost created. I bet Sunak's happy....
    Gives her a superb platform to claim that Boris is holding up the dream deal.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Every year since when?

Spaghetti no. Wheat yes...
    Durum wheat more specifically, in (quantitative) [edited] contrast to the UK.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

My best to @kyf_100

Bizarre

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

That is well beyond the pale, f**ing PC halfwitted cretins don't even know the meaning behind it , pathetic.
This discussion has been closed.