Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What should really worry Tories: anti-CON tactical voting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

Dura_Ace said:

Are we going to get by-election in Bridgend following the lamppost incident?

If you want a laff, look up Jamie Wallis' PhD.
    I initially read that as "In 2014, Wallis was awarded a doctorate in astrology from the University of Cardiff"!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2021
    Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"We model the scenarios that are useful to decisions".

This is the end of SAGE isn't it?

They are done with this admittance.

What's wrong with that? It's not in itself an unreasonable statement, or is there some context I am missing? Modelling, for instance, a scenario of 100% 90 year olds living each on their own without seeing anyone else would be a perfectly logical possibility, but it would be of no practical use and therefore not worth the time (except as a teaching example as part of a step in developing understanding of modelling).
    As I understand what the Spectator seem to have unearthed is they only use inputs to models that lead to scary scenarios because, they seem to think, it is only those models that produce outputs which show a decision needs to be made.

It is fecking Alice in Wonderland frankly.

But that doesn't make sense. They wouldn't know what the output was till they did the input. The Speccy seems to be accusing them of picking between results.
    Of course you know what the output will be by the inputs, at least for the people who write the model, you know the weightings of the inputs.
    Doesn't work that way - the maths can be incredibly sensitive to input changes. (So I recall from my younger days studying, inter aliis, population dynamics and population genetics, and doing a course project on the latter, ironically on host-parasite genetics).
    If that's the case, the model should come with a big health warning attached that says very clearly: Output is very sensitive to these specific inputs; also these inputs are very uncertain, model output is hence also very uncertain, so proceed with caution and results cannot necessarily be relied upon.

Part of my scepticism over the results being presented is that it is not particularly clear that the validation work needed to guide the above thinking has been done.

Edit: also, a big part of the validation process is sufficient sensitivity testing that you know exactly which inputs have what sensitivity, so that you can predict roughly what the model will do when they are changed. The sorts of non-linear models you list can make that process much harder, but there's no reason I can think of for the COVID models to have the sort of feedback loops which make that the case.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    dixiedean said:

I see very little evidence that the split on this site has really changed, the same people are pro lockdown as a year ago.

I'm not I'm afraid.
    There really was no alternative last year. It was the right, indeed the only option.
    Now. Not sure of that at all.
    Can a lockdown restrict Omicron given its transmissibility? Not convinced.
    Will a lockdown be followed by enough folk to be effective even if it is containable? Not convinced.
    Will there be so many hospitalised that the NHS is overwhelmed? Not convinced.

On all these points I am convincable. I have no ideological axe to grind here.
    But I don't think the case has been made as of yet.
    Agree. More or less my own position.

Hope your recovery is continuing smoothly.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Dura_Ace said:

He seems like a wrong 'un so there is zero chance of a principled resignation from the fat fuck.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Leon said:

I return to post something because it is really quite important. And cheering

“Lesley Powls, head of emergency planning and clinical site operations at King’s, compared the intense preparation to an “incredible moment of calm” before a tsunami.

“She said: “It’s my job to write the plans and put the plans in place. And there’s a point where you think: ‘OK – we’re ready.’” Powls said initial indications were that patients who were being admitted were not as sick as in previous waves.

“She said: “Last year, going into Christmas and New Year, we were seeing patients presenting at our emergency department who were so unwell they were going to critical care as the first place of admission.

““What we are seeing at the moment is patients who are going to general wards for maybe 24 to 48 hours and are then able to go home. We genotype all of our samples and we are certainly seeing some genotyping highly suggestive of Omicron.”

“Powls said the initial indications were that the trust would have the capacity to cope, and it wanted to ensure that other services were available for non-Covid patients. She said there was a concern services could be overwhelmed, but she did not consider it a significant risk based on the evidence she had seen to date.”

Do we really need any more evidence? South Africa is coping. New York is coping. And now, it seems, London is coping

The only possible justification for the hideous cruelty of lockdown is an overwhelmed health system. That simply isn’t happening. Lockdown must be firmly and sternly resisted

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/19/london-hospital-staff-speak-out-were-not-here-to-judge-but-please-get-your-covid-vaccines

I entirely agree,

But, and don't take this the wrong way, but when I was on her 48 hours or so ago weren't you the one who was most concerned, and encouraging a lockdown?

Maybe I have miss-remembered? or has the weight of evidence that Omicron is very milled changed your mind?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Leon said:

“Lesley Powls, head of emergency planning and clinical site operations at King’s, compared the intense preparation to an “incredible moment of calm” before a tsunami.

“She said: “It’s my job to write the plans and put the plans in place. And there’s a point where you think: ‘OK – we’re ready.’” Powls said initial indications were that patients who were being admitted were not as sick as in previous waves.

“She said: “Last year, going into Christmas and New Year, we were seeing patients presenting at our emergency department who were so unwell they were going to critical care as the first place of admission.

““What we are seeing at the moment is patients who are going to general wards for maybe 24 to 48 hours and are then able to go home. We genotype all of our samples and we are certainly seeing some genotyping highly suggestive of Omicron.”

“Powls said the initial indications were that the trust would have the capacity to cope, and it wanted to ensure that other services were available for non-Covid patients. She said there was a concern services could be overwhelmed, but she did not consider it a significant risk based on the evidence she had seen to date.”

Do we really need any more evidence? South Africa is coping. New York is coping. And now, it seems, London is coping

The only possible justification for the hideous cruelty of lockdown is an overwhelmed health system. That simply isn’t happening. Lockdown must be firmly and sternly resisted

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/19/london-hospital-staff-speak-out-were-not-here-to-judge-but-please-get-your-covid-vaccines

Suppose we get one. How do folk "sternly and firmly" resist?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

I initially read that as "In 2014, Wallis was awarded a doctorate in astrology from the University of Cardiff"!
    Did he want to be a star?

Although his scope seems more horror.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    12,133 additional confirmed cases of the #Omicron variant of COVID-19 have been reported across the UK.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I see very little evidence that the split on this site has really changed, the same people are pro lockdown as a year ago.

The split may not have changed but I'd be surprised if all of us haven't been on a bit of a journey as to our views. Unless you're the Piers Corbyn, or Steve Baker edges of our society then I think that must be true.

I genuinely don't really know my own opinion now - there's not so much science emerging it seems. My hunch is that Javid is weak and wobbly (just because that's my judgement of him beforehand).
    I hope you are well - and thank you for your previous kind suggestion of meeting me. I simply cannot ask you to buy me food or a drink but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

I am anti-lockdown in the sense it is bad for my health and bad for businesses like @Cyclefree's daughter, for whom I have a lot of sympathy.

But I am instinctively pro protecting and saving lives, I think in many ways that informs my politics as one of compassion and love and that is the person I try to be. So that is how I see things.

I hope we do not need a lockdown - but I do think it is far too early to be saying everything is ok. Because we've been down this road before with Delta. And I remember having the same arguments with Phil and others this time last year.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    904,598 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 exc Wales yesterday (530,086 the previous Saturday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

When Welsh data is added in (tomorrow) it's almost certain yesterday will turn out to be the first day that more than a million vaccines were given out - figure excluding Wales is c. 987k I think.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1472568625680769024?s=20
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited December 2021
    @Dura_Ace do you know of any half decent electric bikes/brands with a low/no top tube?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Omnium said:

The split may not have changed but I'd be surprised if all of us haven't been on a bit of a journey as to our views. Unless you're the Piers Corbyn, or Steve Baker edges of our society then I think that must be true.

I genuinely don't really know my own opinion now - there's not so much science emerging it seems. My hunch is that Javid is weak and wobbly (just because that's my judgement of him beforehand).
    I hope you are well - and thank you for your previous kind suggestion of meeting me. I simply cannot ask you to buy me food or a drink but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

I am anti-lockdown in the sense it is bad for my health and bad for businesses like @Cyclefree's daughter, for whom I have a lot of sympathy.

But I am instinctively pro protecting and saving lives, I think in many ways that informs my politics as one of compassion and love and that is the person I try to be. So that is how I see things.

I hope we do not need a lockdown - but I do think it is far too early to be saying everything is ok. Because we've been down this road before with Delta. And I remember having the same arguments with Phil and others this time last year.
    Was there the same positive pieces of news regarding severity about Delta at the time? I only remember that being viewed as a negative development.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

I'm not I'm afraid.
    There really was no alternative last year. It was the right, indeed the only option.
    Will a lockdown be followed by enough folk to be effective even if it is containable? Not convinced.

Agree. More or less my own position.

Hope your recovery is continuing smoothly.
    To be honest I think this is where I am too - but I am instinctively pro lockdown as above.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

904,598 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 exc Wales yesterday (530,086 the previous Saturday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

When Welsh data is added in (tomorrow) it's almost certain yesterday will turn out to be the first day that more than a million vaccines were given out - figure excluding Wales is c. 987k I think.

Think we'll hit the million mark this week and then it will be after new year's day before we get back to that level.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,257
    edited December 2021
    pigeon said:

Rochdale - I recommend following this chap.

https://twitter.com/drraghibali?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

In particular the chart showing admissions in London so far tracking the summer 'wave' not last winter's one. The argument for lockdown appears to be the need to be ahead of the curve. Only trouble is we don't know what sort of curve it will be. So it really comes down to a safety first argument.

Which is why we're all entitled to be concerned about a permanent cycle of lockdowns, as follows:

1. Scary new variant
    2. Models (which may or may not be any good) suggest scary new variant *might* destroy NHS
    3. Panic panic panic panic panic, lockdown to be on the safe side

Then back to 1., and repeat until dead.

We're almost certainly going to end up suffering a whole raft of new restrictions, if not this week then immediately after Christmas, so all we can do is hope that Omicron turns out to be so transmissible that restrictions are revealed to be useless against it, and will therefore be dumped once and for all. This will go on forever otherwise.
    The rationale for a lockdown is weaker for this wave than it was for previous ones. Omicron is already rife and it spreads so fast that to a large extent the script is written. It's going to be (one of a range of) bads and will be over quite quickly. Public support for a lockdown is far from solid, the politics is difficult too. So, putting this together, I conclude that you and the other posters of your mindset are worrying about the wrong thing. Either there won't be a lockdown or if there is it'll be a short one. The thing to worry about is the NHS. Will it manage to struggle through?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Nonsense.

This time last year, I was incredibly anxious as I was trying to convince my family not to all meet up for Christmas. I was having to explain to them that getting COVID at the same time as lots of other people was a bad idea and we just needed to get the parents jabbed.

This year we’re making up for last year, whatever the politicians say. :)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Somehow that is more scientific!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Think we'll hit the million mark this week and then it will be after new year's day before we get back to that level.
    It does seem unlikely that combination of capacity and demand that will be able to get much past 1 million a day. And as a result won't hit their aspiration.

I am sure the government will get grief for this "failure". Perhaps they should have just set the target as capacity of over million jabs a day.
  • Options
    I was clearly wrong on the split of pro to anti lockdown here, happy to say so
  • Options
    And hope you too are well @tlg86
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,332
    BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

But, and don't take this the wrong way, but when I was on her 48 hours or so ago weren't you the one who was most concerned, and encouraging a lockdown?

Maybe I have miss-remembered? or has the weight of evidence that Omicron is very milled changed your mind?
    You’ve misremembered. In my hyperbolic-drunken way I identified Omicron early on as a big threat, and I predicted governments would react allergically to it, up to and including lockdown

I also predicted lockdown for the UK. I have never, however, advocated a new lockdown. There was not enough evidence available to me. I was agnostic, and awaited the numbers

The first promising data from SA didn’t persuade me. Quite. SA is too different. But the last few days we have the same cheering data from NYC and now London. Omicron really is milder. Shorter stays in hospital. Vaccines still work. Hospitals are NOT overwhelmed and believe they can cope - their words

Now I am persuaded. As things stand lockdown is not justified.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

He seems like a wrong 'un so there is zero chance of a principled resignation from the fat fuck.
    I see the car was being blamed for the collision in the news report.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I see the car was being blamed for the collision in the news report.
    Bloody thing, all those wheels going where he told them and not where he wanted them to go...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
  • Options
    Also, from yesterday

So number of boosters has stalled in the 800,000s per day and actually fell today… does this reflect a capacity constraint or is demand beginning to fall back after the opening-up-to-all at the beginning of the week… what more can the Government do to scare encourage more to do the right thing…

or that Wales didn't announce their stats today? and that if you go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and look at boosters data, you'll see that 10 of the 11 weeks show the same pattern.

and that pattern returns. SHOCKED.

Don't. Chase. Daily. Figures.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited December 2021

And hope you too are well @tlg86

Thank you, I’m very well.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    Nah people will follow the rules in public and break them in private. C’est la vie
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

You’ve misremembered. In my hyperbolic-drunken way I identified Omicron early on as a big threat, and I predicted governments would react allergically to it, up to and including lockdown

I also predicted lockdown for the UK. I have never, however, advocated a new lockdown. There was not enough evidence available to me. I was agnostic, and awaited the numbers

The first promising data from SA didn’t persuade me. Quite. SA is too different. But the last few days we have the same cheering data from NYC and now London. Omicron really is milder. Shorter stays in hospital. Vaccines still work. Hospitals are NOT overwhelmed and believe they can cope - their words

You agree with the current measures though?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Also, from yesterday

So number of boosters has stalled in the 800,000s per day and actually fell today… does this reflect a capacity constraint or is demand beginning to fall back after the opening-up-to-all at the beginning of the week… what more can the Government do to scare encourage more to do the right thing…

or that Wales didn't announce their stats today? and that if you go to https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations and look at boosters data, you'll see that 10 of the 11 weeks show the same pattern.

It was busy enough at the Roman Way Hotel in Cannock. In fact I think I was very lucky, I just hit a lull with hardly any queueing. When I left they were queueing back pretty well to the main road.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    Nah people will follow the rules in public and break them in private. C’est la vie
    Although most people having more brains than our government and civil servants they will probably not be daft enough to film themselves doing it...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    Good job we've brought in Draconian measures to deal with inconvenient protests then, isn't it?
  • Options

12,133 additional confirmed cases of the #Omicron variant of COVID-19 have been reported across the UK.

Is that data available on a day by day basis somewhere ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What's wrong with that? It's not in itself an unreasonable statement, or is there some context I am missing? Modelling, for instance, a scenario of 100% 90 year olds living each on their own without seeing anyone else would be a perfectly logical possibility, but it would be of no practical use and therefore not worth the time (except as a teaching example as part of a step in developing understanding of modelling).
    As I understand what the Spectator seem to have unearthed is they only use inputs to models that lead to scary scenarios because, they seem to think, it is only those models that produce outputs which show a decision needs to be made.

But that doesn't make sense. They wouldn't know what the output was till they did the input. The Speccy seems to be accusing them of picking between results.
    Of course you know what the output will be by the inputs, at least for the people who write the model, you know the weightings of the inputs.
    Doesn't work that way - the maths can be incredibly sensitive to input changes. (So I recall from my younger days studying, inter aliis, population dynamics and population genetics, and doing a course project on the latter, ironically on host-parasite genetics).
    I don't know what any of that means - goodness me there are some smart people on this website
    Just that MaxPB was claiming the scientists could tell what the results would be before they put the data in. Which doesn't feel right to me at all.

Also - some PBers have been complaining that the scientists were producing models with huge error ranges. Well, that in itself strongly suggests that the scientists aren't picking the results. If they wanted lockdown, they'd ...

(It's a different matter to recommend action based on those results - but on the precautionary principle, given the time delays involved, it makes sense to assume things will be at the shittier end of the spectrum till more data come in that can be used to refine the models.)
    So you think the scientist would have no idea what would happen to the output of the model if they used a higher rate of transmissibility, or lower vaccine effectiveness?
    Oh, those things aren't linear at all. Exponential behaviour for a start, which amplifies the errors in the data one usese for input. One has to use a range of data especially in early days like these, so one would end up with an even greater (proportionately) range of result.

And that is excluding the really bizarre results of higher values under which one could (and I did, in my student research study) crank up the parameter of infection level and end up with cyclical or chaotic behaviour, for instance.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

Isn't it amazing that our doctors are reporting the same symptoms as the SA doctors. It's almost like we are all humans
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Don't take any tests.

And go about your normal life even if you think you might be infected.
  • Options

if only the search function on this place worked!

think this is the most recent summary: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1042221/20211218_OS_Daily-Omicron-Overview.pdf

and front page here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-omicron-daily-overview
  • Options

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-omicron-daily-overview

There is probably somebody who has put this into a more accessible format.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

I don't know what any of that means - goodness me there are some smart people on this website
    Just that MaxPB was claiming the scientists could tell what the results would be before they put the data in. Which doesn't feel right to me at all.

Also - some PBers have been complaining that the scientists were producing models with huge error ranges. Well, that in itself strongly suggests that the scientists aren't picking the results. If they wanted lockdown, they'd ...

(It's a different matter to recommend action based on those results - but on the precautionary principle, given the time delays involved, it makes sense to assume things will be at the shittier end of the spectrum till more data come in that can be used to refine the models.)
    So you think the scientist would have no idea what would happen to the output of the model if they used a higher rate of transmissibility, or lower vaccine effectiveness?
    Oh, those things aren't linear at all. Exponential behaviour for a start, which amplifies the errors in the data one usese for input. One has to use a range of data especially in early days like these, so one would end up with an even greater (proportionately) range of result.

And that is excluding the really bizarre results of higher values under which one could (and I did, in my student research study) crank up the parameter of infection level and end up with cyclical or chaotic behaviour, for instance.
    But the output has a strong correlation with the input. If you wanted your model to produce a more pessimistic outlook, wouldn't you use a lower estimate for vaccine efficacy, or a higher transmissibility? The idea that the behaviour of the output cannot be predicted based on changes to those types of input is absurd.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

Plan B? No

I believe I did say this on PB: plan B was an error as it was the thin end of the wedge towards wider restrictions. Also it will and has crucified hospitality and big cities with no hard evidence to justify it

However it’s all otiose anyway. Once Whitty made those remarks about ‘not going to parties’ that was it.

I do not revere this guy Whitty like others on here. I’m sure he’s intelligent, worthy and means well. But he’s just another science geek who can get things badly wrong. They all got masks wrong, a fact which they want us to quietly forget
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Cabinet Office Minister Steve Barclay will chair a meeting between the government's emergency committee, Cobra, and the leaders of the devolved nations at 17:00 GMT.

Where is PM Peppa Pig?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It’s very easy to iterate a model to fit the answers. Just tweak and run again. It’s not like they are doing a 12 hour calculation. I suspect the models being used are pretty simple.
    The scandal, as @MaxPB says, is not using real world data when it is available. This has been a problem before, too, and led to some stupid modelling as shown by the spectator on links posted on pb yesterday.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,206
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    great track.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    And therein lies the problem. From Professor Pantsdown to Dom's Barnard Castle excursion to "definitely not a party" at number 10, the people responsible for making the laws have been shown to repeatedly break them.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    dixiedean said:

I'm not I'm afraid.

The NHS has been on the brink of falling over every winter for at least a decade. It is not at all surprising to me that the prospect of an outbreak leading to tens of thousands of extra hospital visits is causing policy-makers to err on the side of caution when deciding what to do.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,336
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

@kyf_100 ’s very powerful testimony shows how much damage on mental health is being inflicted. For all the talk about mental health being a priority, it’s clear it is low down on the list of priorities.

My best to @kyf_100

Also, I’m sick of middle class public sector professionals with a guaranteed wage and guaranteed pension telling everyone else that they have to sacrifice. Maybe they can show the courage of their convictions by offering to voluntarily give up a percentage of their very generous pension donations with the cash being used to support those suffering disproportionately from the crisis.

Heh, thanks. I'm much better now, thanks to good friends and several months of near-normality, though the thought we are heading into yet another two or three months minimum of the same bleakness fills me with utter terror. I don't want to slide back down into that dark, dark place again. Because next time I'm not sure I'll get out again.

We were told if we got the jabs, it would end. Then we were told if we got the booster, it would end. Now... when does it end?
    Great question. When does it end. As asked by Beth Rigby at that first BoJo news conference.

And of course I wish you all the very best.

I have been vocally anti lockdown since almost the beginning (not as much as @contrarian ) not because of the medical outcome it achieves. No shit you make it illegal to meet people and the number of infectious diseases plummets.

But because of the precedent. Cock up or conspiracy we are now in a place where lockdowns are a common tool of government.

All those "I was then I'm not now" PBers should hang their heads in shame because this was the obvious end point.
    But this is plainly ridiculous. By your logic no one should ever support any lockdowns because they might become more acceptable and frequent

That’s like saying you should never go to hospital otherwise it will become a habit

Bizarre
    I'm not 100% sure anyone should ever support any lockdown.

What possible reason could there be to have a legal mandate about who you are allowed to have in your home.

You and The Francester are frankly doing more damage to yourselves than you realise with all your constant crappy posts.

Of course when faced with it, as many have, you lash out. And that's fine. But for you two, PB is a super unhealthy place but of course caveat emptor go for your lives. And let's have a funny charge that I am terrified and projecting and blah blah blah.

But you know it's true.
    You’re projecting again
    LOL touché.

But seriously. I know that you need a febrile atmosphere to produce your best-knapped flints but not everyone is as robust as you are, as many on PB have told us. Be careful how you wield your undoubted gifts on here.
    I think you are unfair to the “not now, but then” group.

Lockdowns had a role. To buy time until vaccines. Which they did. They made it possible to have a normal life with an endemic disease.

So I am proud to be in the “lockdown then but not now” camp
    As I said of course they were effective. But as a policy tool they were and are beyond the pale.
  • Options

Cabinet Office Minister Steve Barclay will chair a meeting between the government's emergency committee, Cobra, and the leaders of the devolved nations at 17:00 GMT.

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

Is that a calculated insult or does it show that they don't expect anything useful to come of the meeting?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

Is that a calculated insult or does it show that they don't expect anything useful to come of the meeting?
    I guess Boris is having a day off with the baby and the government position at the moment is wait and see, so there won't be anything to tell the devolved administrations beyond its spreading widely etc.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

But the output has a strong correlation with the input. If you wanted your model to produce a more pessimistic outlook, wouldn't you use a lower estimate for vaccine efficacy, or a higher transmissibility? The idea that the behaviour of the output cannot be predicted based on changes to those types of input is absurd.
    You're thinking in terms of simple models without error ranges. Error ranges in the data multiply to give wider error ranges in the results. Can't talk about 'strong correlations' overall.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

It does seem unlikely that combination of capacity and demand that will be able to get much past 1 million a day. And as a result won't hit their aspiration.

I am sure the government will get grief for this "failure". Perhaps they should have just set the target as capacity of over million jabs a day.
    I for one won't give them any grief for this. Would sooner and faster than this have been better? For sure, but the government, councils, NHS, GPs, pharmacists, and army of volunteers have done a great job of speeding up the boosters. Three cheers for them all, Boris included.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

Plan B? No

I believe I did say this on PB: plan B was an error as it was the thin end of the wedge towards wider restrictions. Also it will and has crucified hospitality and big cities with no hard evidence to justify it

However it’s all otiose anyway. Once Whitty made those remarks about ‘not going to parties’ that was it.

I do not revere this guy Whitty like others on here. I’m sure he’s intelligent, worthy and means well. But he’s just another science geek who can get things badly wrong. They all got masks wrong, a fact which they want us to quietly forget
    I quite like the lockdown model though of presenting the best science and just letting the public decide what works.

I took my first journey on one of the deep tube lines yesterday. I confess I wanted to murder the non mask wearers. I'm sure all of them would have had a good excuse... and yet all were young and attempting-but-failing to be trendy. If you can spend all the time to ridiculosy stick beads in your hair then you really could find a decent pair of jeans.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,463

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

It’s very easy to iterate a model to fit the answers. Just tweak and run again. It’s not like they are doing a 12 hour calculation. I suspect the models being used are pretty simple.
    The scandal, as @MaxPB says, is not using real world data when it is available. This has been a problem before, too, and led to some stupid modelling as shown by the spectator on links posted on pb yesterday.
    +1 on using wrong data as inputs. Literally, using data that has proven to be wrong in the real world.

Also, when you model predicts an effect of between 5-100 (say), then it isn't a useful model. That is a guesstimate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

Hm, Mr B has a Treasury background. So all the less likely to agree to support for hospitality etc.?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

Isn't it amazing that our doctors are reporting the same symptoms as the SA doctors. It's almost like we are all humans
    When you come across a point so thumpingly obvious that you actually understand it you are not shy, are you, about hammering it home?

We are all humans, well spotted. That said, we differ enough genetically to affect our relative susceptibility to some diseases (sickle cell anemia) and we have different median age, living conditions, HIV status, covid vacc status, covid prior infection status, climate and season. Don't worry if you don't see why any of that might in theory matter.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You're thinking in terms of simple models without error ranges. Error ranges in the data multiply to give wider error ranges in the results. Can't talk about 'strong correlations' overall.

Yes you can. Decreasing vaccine efficacy would only do one thing to the model output, it would make it more pessimistic. We aren't talking about increasing the uncertainties on the input, we are talking about changing the input value itself.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

I guess Boris is having a day off with the baby and the government position at the moment is wait and see, so there won't be anything to tell the devolved administrations beyond its spreading widely etc.
    But glory be, couldn't they at least have found a proper minister rather than the Chancellor of the Duchy of Fecking Lancaster? You would have thought if only for form's sake that Raab should be chairing it if Johnson is unavailable.

Sturgeon is going to go mental. Or send the Minister for Arranging Chairs or something.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

Rochdale - I recommend following this chap.

https://twitter.com/drraghibali?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

In particular the chart showing admissions in London so far tracking the summer 'wave' not last winter's one. The argument for lockdown appears to be the need to be ahead of the curve. Only trouble is we don't know what sort of curve it will be. So it really comes down to a safety first argument.

Which is why we're all entitled to be concerned about a permanent cycle of lockdowns, as follows:

1. Scary new variant
    2. Models (which may or may not be any good) suggest scary new variant *might* destroy NHS
    3. Panic panic panic panic panic, lockdown to be on the safe side

Then back to 1., and repeat until dead.

We're almost certainly going to end up suffering a whole raft of new restrictions, if not this week then immediately after Christmas, so all we can do is hope that Omicron turns out to be so transmissible that restrictions are revealed to be useless against it, and will therefore be dumped once and for all. This will go on forever otherwise.
    The rationale for a lockdown is weaker for this wave than it was for previous ones. Omicron is already rife and it spreads so fast that to a large extent the script is written. It's going to be (one of a range of) bads and will be over quite quickly. Public support for a lockdown is far from solid, the politics is difficult too. So, putting this together, I conclude that you and the other posters of your mindset are worrying about the wrong thing. Either there won't be a lockdown or if there is it'll be a short one. The thing to worry about is the NHS. Will it manage to struggle through?
    Well, of course, in truth we should be trying not to worry about either lockdowns or the NHS, because there's nothing we can do about either. But one of, if not the, hardest things about the pandemic is that it has thrown into sharp relief our own lack of agency. One can go and get one's vaccines as soon as possible and, especially before the vaccines, one could choose to take calculated risks to enable some kind of life outside of the home to carry on, whilst minimising the chance of ending up ill, but that's about it. Apart from that we've been constantly dicked about with for nearly two years, being permitted or prohibited from living our lives by ministerial diktat; there is precious little that we can do about any of it; and there's no sign of the drudgery coming to an end.

It's small wonder that the temptation to give in to catastrophism remains great - especially, to tackle one of your specific assertions, about the length of any possible New Year lockdown. We have been here with these lockdowns before: once they're applied then the Government is very fearful about letting them go. Last time we had one it started in early January, almost everything including the schools was closed for two months, and the creep out of the restrictions lasted all the way through to July. And yes, I know that this was all whilst the vaccination programme was new and it needed time to get through people, but OTOH the vaccination programme has now been through the bulk of the adult population twice and halfway through it for a third time, and yet despite all that we've already suffering renewed restrictions, and a whole lot more of the damned things are being called for. Again.

It's really no surprise that so many people think it will never end, is it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

RobD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Another issue is the very poor social structure modelling in many of these simulations.

People aren't a uniform, homogeneous mass. More, they tend to regularly congregate in a series of groups - families, work, sports clubs, drinking buddies etc. These overlap with other groups, but the result is not an even mass.

The reaction to the perception of risk in mixing is interesting - there is some evidence (mostly anecdotal) that the various groups start severing connections to other groups as a first reaction. Which then has a massive effect on disease spread.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

@Dura_Ace do you know of any half decent electric bikes/brands with a low/no top tube?

Not really, I'm not into eebs. If You're getting one go for for a tier one OEM like Giant with a branded powetrain (Shimano, Bosch). Stay away from AliExpress Chinese shit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Virus are very impressed by physical bravery. Almost as much as steel-cored bullets are impressed by macho.
  • Options

Also, from yesterday

But that would mean that 97% of @Leon DrunkPostings would be....

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

BigRich said:

Leon said:

I entirely agree,

When you come across a point so thumpingly obvious that you actually understand it you are not shy, are you, about hammering it home?

We are all humans, well spotted. That said, we differ enough genetically to affect our relative susceptibility to some diseases (sickle cell anemia) and we have different median age, living conditions, HIV status, covid vacc status, covid prior infection status, climate and season. Don't worry if you don't see why any of that might in theory matter.
    I’m not human. Obvs. Clue’s in the name.
  • Options
    Steve Baker chairing the COBRA meeting? WTF?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    “The numbers verge on the incomprehensible. Since the pandemic began, central banks have injected $32tn in to markets around the world, equivalent to buying $800m of financial assets every hour of the past 20 months, according to Bank of America.”

https://amp.ft.com/content/58a0dbf0-aaf3-4ec0-8e56-5d47f9a1b42b
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    DougSeal said:

Barclay. If it was Steve Baker that would be a relief. Though I imagine it being Barclay means "nothing has changed" is the order of the day.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Steve Barclay, not Steve Baker.

Yet.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

DougSeal said:

Yet.
    They were assuming Boris would use his loaf.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,301
    ydoethur said:

Bridgend has surely got to be a Labour gain and is a test of whether Starmer has now pulled ahead

If there is a by-election. More likely to be a 12 month driving ban I would have thought.
    Isn't that the same MP who denied he was involved in a sugar-daddy website, then it turned out that he was? Or had been?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Barclay. If it was Steve Baker that would be a relief. Though I imagine it being Barclay means "nothing has changed" is the order of the day.
    At least it's not Mark Francois chairing it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

DougSeal said:

Yet.
    That's taking the biscuit!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

At least it's not Mark Francois chairing it.
    Or Mark Reckless?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

DougSeal said:

Yet.
    That's taking the biscuit!
    Somebody's getting croiss, ant it isn't me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Bridgend has surely got to be a Labour gain and is a test of whether Starmer has now pulled ahead

If there is a by-election. More likely to be a 12 month driving ban I would have thought.
    Isn't that the same MP who denied he was involved in a sugar-daddy website, then it turned out that he was? Or had been?
    That's the one.
  • Options
    Quite excited about the Starship Titanic nowish on R4.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DougSeal said:

Sorry for my error there!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    MaxPB said:

Which is what @Alistair is tracking in the SA stats. It seems like Omicron presents less need got mechanical ventilation and need of the ICU. If our own research is finding the same then those forecasts of the NHS collapsing need to be significantly revised.
    Which is consistent with omicron being an upper respiratory tract infection rather than lower respiratory tract - also supported by the shift in symptoms to include sneezing and scratchy throat
  • Options

Omnium said:

Last year I was much more open to the idea of restrictions than I am now. I hated the idea of them, but we hadn't rolled vaccines out yet, so the idea of restrictions until we've vaccinated the vulnerable made some sense.

This is a completely different scenario now. We've not just triple vaccinated the vulnerable, we have vaccinated everyone who wants it.

Restrictions now aren't buying time for a vaccine rollout, they're just an act of denial shoving your head in the sand thinking the big bad virus will go away if only you wish very hard that it does.
  • Options
    Mail: Mutinous backbenchers have been retweeting messages suggesting that it might be 'too late' for the premier to save himself, after the massive mutiny over Plan B curbs last week and weeks of misery over sleaze allegations and the Downing Street 'Partygate' scandal. It could make it even harder for Mr Johnson to push through new restrictions to combat the surging Omicron variant, despite scientists warning mixing between households should be banned at Christmas.

Nikki da Costa, a former No10 aide and friend of Lord Frost, warned that the 'whole system' in No 10 'doesn't work'. Echoing the views of many MPs, she told the Sunday Telegraph that Dan Rosenfield, a former Treasury official who replaced Dominic Cummings in Downing Street in late 2020, was partly responsible because he lacked 'political sensibility'. 'He doesn't like challenge,' she said.

Lord Frost, who negotiated Britain's departure from the EU as Brexit Minister, is understood to have been persuaded to delay his resignation until January after giving notice to Mr Johnson a week ago. However, after the Mail on Sunday exclusively revealed he was departing, the peer brought forward his departure.

Conservative MPs are increasingly talking about a challenge to the Prime Minister's leadership within the next six months, with Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Foreign Secretary Liz Truss leading the field of contenders. Messages from a Whatsapp group of more than 100 Tory MPs titled 'Clean Global Brexit', showed Andrew Bridgen describing the move as a 'disaster' while Theresa Villiers calls it 'very worrying'.
  • Options
    This feels like monumental fuck-uppery

"An important point. Chairman of Sage modellers presumes someone else in gvt is modelling the economic and social harm of a new lockdown. But no one is (and that’s not his fault).

"How can ministers decide how to “balance the harms” if they’re only given one side of the story?"

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1472565502451007492?s=20

It's the same point I made last night. The government is like a big corporation wondering whether to launch a risky new product. They bring in their advisors, and all they ask the advisors is: what is the downside of launching this, how bad can it get?

They then get a series of forecasts ranging from "big loss" to "total bankruptcy"

They don't ever ask the other side of the question, what is the upside, how good can it be, which might get the answers "huge profit" to "global domination". They never hear the possible positives

So this corporation always errs on the side of caution, never innovates, and becomes Pan Am, Kodak or Nokia

• Options

Where is PM Peppa Pig?

Getting ready for Pickfords?
  • Options
    Fascinating 1999 Wired article about Piers Corbyn when he was almost considered, dare I say it, respectable

https://www.wired.com/1999/02/weather-2/
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,762
    edited December 2021

Also, from yesterday

But that would mean that 97% of @Leon DrunkPostings would be....

With a 4% confidence interval.
  • Options
    McElvoy: A PM who has thrived on charisma has lost his lustre. It is not the usual Johnson-haters in or outside the party who sound like his nemeses but, most vocally, former allies and champions.

The toll of the pandemic and a slew of unforced errors have dented his greatest asset – the self-confidence and ability to sound conversational while honing a message that resonates with a range of voters. Ascribing a rout to too much focus on “politics and politicians” reminded me of Communist bosses in 1989 instructing furious citizens not to focus on their miseries and frustrations, but on the excellent grain harvest and factory outputs.

Brand Boris is being ground down by competing demands. Both sides (unhappily for him) unite in concern about incompetence, drift and high handedness with MPs. One usually loyal female minister confides that the revelations of revels inside No 10 and the leaked video of his press team’s levity about these “opened the floodgates of anger” to the extent that she felt sorry for her constituency staff having to read the insults.

For all the agitation over his many failings, the question many backbenchers will ask is what could a newcomer offer that would provide a clearer recipe for success. For all the fizzing around a possible challenge, Johnson’s most ambitious would-be successors are more about positioning than a power grab now. So Johnson probably has a short period of respite in which to refocus his premiership before the next wave of economic woes hits home and local elections in May offer the next punishing political health check.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

McElvoy: A PM who has thrived on charisma has lost his lustre. It is not the usual Johnson-haters in or outside the party who sound like his nemeses but, most vocally, former allies and champions.

The toll of the pandemic and a slew of unforced errors have dented his greatest asset – the self-confidence and ability to sound conversational while honing a message that resonates with a range of voters. Ascribing a rout to too much focus on “politics and politicians” reminded me of Communist bosses in 1989 instructing furious citizens not to focus on their miseries and frustrations, but on the excellent grain harvest and factory outputs.

Brand Boris is being ground down by competing demands. Both sides (unhappily for him) unite in concern about incompetence, drift and high handedness with MPs. One usually loyal female minister confides that the revelations of revels inside No 10 and the leaked video of his press team’s levity about these “opened the floodgates of anger” to the extent that she felt sorry for her constituency staff having to read the insults.

For all the agitation over his many failings, the question many backbenchers will ask is what could a newcomer offer that would provide a clearer recipe for success. For all the fizzing around a possible challenge, Johnson’s most ambitious would-be successors are more about positioning than a power grab now. So Johnson probably has a short period of respite in which to refocus his premiership before the next wave of economic woes hits home and local elections in May offer the next punishing political health check.

Can you share the link?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Great prediction lol. Must have really been a challenge to make that extrapolation. Now now master modeller with all the really clever friends. Where are hospitalisations going to be this week and next?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

I for one won't give them any grief for this. Would sooner and faster than this have been better? For sure, but the government, councils, NHS, GPs, pharmacists, and army of volunteers have done a great job of speeding up the boosters. Three cheers for them all, Boris included.
    Hip Hip:
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Great prediction lol. Must have really been a challenge to make that extrapolation. Now now master modeller with all the really clever friends. Where are hospitalisations going to be this week and next?
    Nobody knows. Including the modellers working for the government. Their modelling every single time have however been out, often by huge margins. So nobody should be using it.

If of course you have clairvoyant powers and can deliver the information, perhaps you should be advising the government?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    IanB2 said:

Mail: Mutinous backbenchers have been retweeting messages suggesting that it might be 'too late' for the premier to save himself, after the massive mutiny over Plan B curbs last week and weeks of misery over sleaze allegations and the Downing Street 'Partygate' scandal. It could make it even harder for Mr Johnson to push through new restrictions to combat the surging Omicron variant, despite scientists warning mixing between households should be banned at Christmas.

Nikki da Costa, a former No10 aide and friend of Lord Frost, warned that the 'whole system' in No 10 'doesn't work'. Echoing the views of many MPs, she told the Sunday Telegraph that Dan Rosenfield, a former Treasury official who replaced Dominic Cummings in Downing Street in late 2020, was partly responsible because he lacked 'political sensibility'. 'He doesn't like challenge,' she said.

Lord Frost, who negotiated Britain's departure from the EU as Brexit Minister, is understood to have been persuaded to delay his resignation until January after giving notice to Mr Johnson a week ago. However, after the Mail on Sunday exclusively revealed he was departing, the peer brought forward his departure.

Conservative MPs are increasingly talking about a challenge to the Prime Minister's leadership within the next six months, with Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Foreign Secretary Liz Truss leading the field of contenders. Messages from a Whatsapp group of more than 100 Tory MPs titled 'Clean Global Brexit', showed Andrew Bridgen describing the move as a 'disaster' while Theresa Villiers calls it 'very worrying'.

The developing scene includes these snapshots: UK as a whole is divided as much as ever about the merits of Brexit at all; the Tory party looks like shifting its split over EU v leave EU to one flavour of Brexit v another flavour of Brexit, but just as visceral.

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

Nobody knows. Including the modellers working for the government. Their modelling every single time have however been out, often by huge margins. So nobody should be using it.

If of course you have clairvoyant powers and can deliver the information, perhaps you should be advising the government?
    All models are wrong, some are useful.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,000
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Can you share the link?
    It’s https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/19/boris-johnson-can-relax-a-little-but-only-because-no-rival-is-ready-to-grab-power
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

I don't know myself but then I haven't posted thousands of posts pretending I do, always after the event of course. ;-)
  • Options

Omnium said:

Last year I was much more open to the idea of restrictions than I am now. I hated the idea of them, but we hadn't rolled vaccines out yet, so the idea of restrictions until we've vaccinated the vulnerable made some sense.

This is a completely different scenario now. We've not just triple vaccinated the vulnerable, we have vaccinated everyone who wants it.

Restrictions now aren't buying time for a vaccine rollout, they're just an act of denial shoving your head in the sand thinking the big bad virus will go away if only you wish very hard that it does.
    Utter rubbish.

I remember arguing with you at length about there being no need for a lockdown, how we'd already reached herd immunity.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

If the models are so bad, what should we be using by the way? ;-)
  • Options
    Aaaand, just like that, the two week "circuit breaker" morphs into "at least a month of lockdown"

"NO XMAS CHEER Sage doom mongers want a MONTH-long circuit breaker lockdown banning household mixing over Christmas"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17086101/doom-monger-scientists-month-lockdown-christmas/
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Fascinating 1999 Wired article about Piers Corbyn when he was almost considered, dare I say it, respectable

https://www.wired.com/1999/02/weather-2/

I used to know Piers, vaguely, when he was a squatters' leader in Elgin Avenue back in the 70s. Anyone who can lead squatters deserves mention in the same hushed tones as Hannibal or Field Marshal Montgomery. In those days he was only slightly dotty, but it's been downhill all the way, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

I don't know myself but then I haven't posted thousands of posts pretending I do, always after the event of course. ;-)
    Max at least has been saying for months on end that this modelling doesn't make sense and the use of them is flawed.

Which is all anyone can do.

What is disturbing is the way they are, despite being patently flawed, they are being used to strongly push a policy agenda.

Which is what is the real issue at stake here. Not the models - they work as they are intended to - but how they are deployed and what they are used for.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    On Topic which seat has Labour gained since SKS became leader?

Tactical voting or otherwise
  • Options

On Topic which seat has Labour gained since SKS became leader?

Tactical voting or otherwise

Goodness me this is tiring.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I predict a riot
    Good job we've brought in Draconian measures to deal with inconvenient protests then, isn't it?
    Leon said:

Aaaand, just like that, the two week "circuit breaker" morphs into "at least a month of lockdown"

"NO XMAS CHEER Sage doom mongers want a MONTH-long circuit breaker lockdown banning household mixing over Christmas"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17086101/doom-monger-scientists-month-lockdown-christmas/

tHiS dOeS nOt HaPpEn In ThE Uk
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

ydoethur said:

ASoprano said:

MaxPB said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 830,403
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 64,081
    NI 10,114

If the models are so bad, what should we be using by the way? ;-)
    Why should we use something repeatedly demonstrated to be wrong and based on false premises?

'What we should use instead' is a completely irrelevant argument. Better nothing than totally misleading materials.
This discussion has been closed.