Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What Priti and Dom should do next – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
imageWhat Priti and Dom should do next – politicalbetting.com

The Supreme Court decision in the case of Elan-Cane touches on two of the most toxic aspects of what some like to call culture wars: the rights of people to demand that others recognise their self-professed identity and the role of judges and the Human Rights Act. It is worth understanding what the court ruled because it provides – if taken – a way forward on one aspect of the first and a corrective to Raab’s claims that the HRA has led to over mighty judges.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Here's another small bit of random information from a pharma person on modelled immunity based on vaccine and virus contact, from best to worst modelled immunity against severe symptoms:

1. 3 doses + infection
    2. 2 doses + infection
    3. 1 dose + infection
    4. 3 doses = Infection and no vaccines
    5. 2 doses
    6. 1 dose
    7. No doses and no infection

He thinks this is why SA has done better with Omicron than people thought they would and why we really need to get a rush for third doses. He said at the moment around 90% of over 50s are in the top 4 categories but getting that up above 95% will be the difference between an NHS crisis and not. Omicron, in his opinion, presents milder symptoms in SA because everyone already had COVID at least once before, it may not be intrinsically milder. Our glut of people in categories 5 and 6 are the most worrying aspect because SA doesn't have many people left who haven't been infected.

I believe this is Witty's take in regards to reason for "milder" and also why the worry about situation here.
    Hah, that's what the original question was last night, why is Whitty saying it's not milder when the SA evidence says it is, the Q actually came from a doctor as well so she was really happy to get an informed answer. It's a shame that this kind of gold is locked up in a whatsapp group of old uni mates and not written out on some government website or even in The Times.
    The milder narrative became engrained in the media reporting very early in the same way as wuhan, 90% only suffer mild symptoms claim that people misunderstood what that meant.

• Worth watching Witty answers to very good questions from Hunt...

https://youtu.be/3QODblGEzGQ
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,771
    Rape is not just a male crime. Women have been convicted of it on an art and part basis.
    In addition s1 (4) of the Sexual Offences (S) Act 2009 provides:
    "In this Act—
    “penis” includes a surgically constructed penis if it forms part of A, having been created in the course of surgical treatment, and
    “vagina” includes—
    (a)the vulva, and
    (b)a surgically constructed vagina (together with any surgically constructed vulva), if it forms part of B, having been created in the course of such treatment."

So a woman who has a surgically constructed penis can be guilty of rape (of course such a woman is likely to have a gender reassignment certificate, although not necessarily so).

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    On topic - Feelings are more important than Facts.

Facts are oppressive in their inability to change to accommodate peoples feelings.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Farooq said:

I'm identifying as first

...but coming second. Just like the LDs in N. Shropshire.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Worth watching Witty answers to very good questions from Hunt...

Hunt is good.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Back to F1 - this is a mighty strange tweet

Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team
    @MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s
    Lewis, you are the greatest racer in the history of Formula 1 and you drove your heart out for every lap of this incredible season.

You're a flawless sportsman on and off the track and you delivered a faultless performance.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    Thank you Cyclefree. Well done SC.

I do wish Hunt was back in the government. He has talent.
  • MaxPB said:

Here's another small bit of random information from a pharma person on modelled immunity based on vaccine and virus contact, from best to worst modelled immunity against severe symptoms:

1. 3 doses + infection
    2. 2 doses + infection
    3. 1 dose + infection
    5. 2 doses
    6. 1 dose

He thinks this is why SA has done better with Omicron than people thought they would and why we really need to get a rush for third doses. He said at the moment around 90% of over 50s are in the top 4 categories but getting that up above 95% will be the difference between an NHS crisis and not. Omicron, in his opinion, presents milder symptoms in SA because everyone already had COVID at least once before, it may not be intrinsically milder. Our glut of people in categories 5 and 6 are the most worrying aspect because SA doesn't have many people left who haven't been infected.

That's really interesting thank you.

Would that mean that the UK is in a better position this winter facing this wave because of the fact that so many got infected earlier this year then?

Does this mean that if the UK had followed iSAGE [and others] advice and prevented those cases from spreading then we'd be in an even worse position now for this wave?

Finally does it mean if the NHS does get overwhelmed then the problem is in part due to having too few cases in the past meaning we don't have enough immunity now? Would we be better off now, if we'd had more cases before now?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    5,951 Scotland cases. Not as bad as I feared.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    745,183 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday (414,645 the previous Wednesday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211
    NI 27,689https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1471480877540679682
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    Priti doesn't seem the type to have a Dom.
    But you never can tell.
    It's not often we plug our rivals, but there's plenty of flights from California back to the UK if you've got urgent business to attend to 👀 #comebacktohelpout https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1471465417709428750/photo/1
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

It's slightly circular in that the worry people have is the self-isolation rather than the illness. Witty himself acknowledges this by saying people don't want to end up "self-isolating or unwell".

I foresee that on and after Christmas people are going to let loose big style. Bring on the Jan 3rd - 13th self isolation...
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Alistair said:

The hospital figures are very good
    Non binary people don't claim to be trans.
  • OT I've been having to wait longer for Deliveroo this past fortnight. I'm not sure if this is due to more customers or fewer drivers, though I suspect the latter.
  • Has St Marcus had a vaccine yet? It's been over a year since the NHS were planning to enlist his help in influencing people to get jabbed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/29/nhs-enlist-sensible-celebrities-coronavirus-vaccine-take-up

I think it's a real shame he wasn't persuaded to do this.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Alistair said:

I'm really wary of using reporting day figures at the moment, I think there's a lot of lag in the system right now, especially for PCR test processing. We may see a lot of cases getting backfilled later this week.
    Women can be convicted of rape as an accomplice in Scotland.

On topic - Feelings are more important than Facts.

Facts are oppressive in their inability to change to accommodate peoples feelings.

I understand where you are coming from.
    But feelings trump facts all the time. In all kinds of ways and in all walks of life.
    Humans simply are not rational creatures.
    On topic the appellant is not happy: Elan-Cane tweeted: "THE UK GOVERNMENT AND JUDICIAL SYSTEM ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY - THIS IS NOT THE END - WE ARE GOING TO STRASBOURG."

Oh well.
  • DavidL said:

Hunt might have talent but does he have judgement? He made the pandemic worse by suppressing rather than acting on the Cygnus findings, and his victory over junior hospital doctors meant less of them around when needed. Boris might not like the man but what else is there to go on?
    Just had a text message from BAExecClub "It's here! The British Airways Sale...."

I bet it is. I wonder how much they are charging for LHR - CDG right now.
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I'm really wary of using reporting day figures at the moment, I think there's a lot of lag in the system right now, especially for PCR test processing. We may see a lot of cases getting backfilled later this week.
    Oh yeah, we fucked. Look at the specimen date graph for Edinburgh. It is doing the rocket impression beloved of London. But Omicron isn't through the whole country yet. It is just a matter of time.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    I have sooo many suggestions as to WHAT PRITI AND DOM SHOULD DO NEXT, but ...
    dixiedean said:

I'm non-binary and I claim to be trans. I suppose I am some kind of unperson in your stereotyped little world.
  • eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s
    Lewis, you are the greatest racer in the history of Formula 1 and you drove your heart out for every lap of this incredible season.

You're a flawless sportsman on and off the track and you delivered a faultless performance.

What's strange about it, unless it is like a football club's full support for its manager?
    eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s

It reads a bit like cheerio.
  • Seriously?

WTF does it matter if they have an 'X' in their passport? It is a matter for them. It will not make the slightest difference to me or anyone else on here. The world will not stop.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    dixiedean said:

Yes I think there's a mix up inherent in the header here, trans and non binary are two seperate things.
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

I'm non-binary and I claim to be trans. I suppose I am some kind of unperson in your stereotyped little world.
    Sorry? What?
    TOPPING said:

Just had a text message from BAExecClub "It's here! The British Airways Sale...."

If you are feeling the pinch and looking to do Xmas on the cheap BBR have 20% off Pol Roger 2013 today. Bargain.
    IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

If you're non binary you're not transitioning to anything.
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry? What?
    Told you so.
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Oh yeah, we fucked. Look at the specimen date graph for Edinburgh. It is doing the rocket impression beloved of London. But Omicron isn't through the whole country yet. It is just a matter of time.
    I hope you maintained your 2m distancing whilst doing so.

eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s

What's strange about it, unless it is like a football club's full support for its manager?
    As @DavidL points out above - it reads very much like cheerio - and that Lewis is heading off to retirement rather than racing next season.
  • Submarine Sunak disappears when shit hits the fan

Seriously?

WTF does it matter if they have an 'X' in their passport? It is a matter for them. It will not make the slightest difference to me or anyone else on here. The world will not stop.

It does matter because it changes the purpose of that field on a passport/
  • Worth watching Witty answers to very good questions from Hunt...

Wow you're right that's truly dreadful from both Whitty and Hunt. Absolutely awful.

Whitty banging on about "prioritisation" because of "self-isolation" (which is only needed due to government policy of course) and so on but not a single question from Hunt on the damage this prioritisation is inflicting. Not a single question on the harms to businesses, to livelihoods, to mental welfare or to anything else. Zero critical scrutiny at all from Hunt.

What an appalling session of questions that is. Disgraceful.

The same one who is having a zoom meeting with the hospitality industry this afternoon
  • IshmaelZ said:

I have sooo many suggestions as to WHAT PRITI AND DOM SHOULD DO NEXT, but ...

Most of my suggestions for them involve the word "OFF!" (yes - in caps and with an exclamation mark)
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

1st and 2nd vaccinations means that yesterday was likely close to our most successful day of vaccination so far, 19 March 2021 (=reported 20 March).

MaxPB said:

1. 3 doses + infection
    2. 2 doses + infection
    3. 1 dose + infection
    5. 2 doses
    6. 1 dose

That's really interesting thank you.

Would that mean that the UK is in a better position this winter facing this wave because of the fact that so many got infected earlier this year then?

Does this mean that if the UK had followed iSAGE [and others] advice and prevented those cases from spreading then we'd be in an even worse position now for this wave?

Finally does it mean if the NHS does get overwhelmed then the problem is in part due to having too few cases in the past meaning we don't have enough immunity now? Would we be better off now, if we'd had more cases before now?
    1. Probably, yes. But to what extend beyond unvaccinated people getting infected we don't know.
    2. Again, it's hard to say but I'd tend to yes, but that's my non-expert opinion.
    3. I think the failure probably isn't in not ramping up the cases, it's more to do with being too complacent about booster vaccines. He specifically said that three doses of vaccine will provide very high level protection against severe symptoms, he's also the same person who said the programme should have commenced earlier and used a 4.5 month gap (which I definitely wrote about on here at some point, pre-Omicron too, if anyone wants to check) which would have put us in a much better place heading into Xmas.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

Week-on-week increase of +80%, versus +68% yesterday and +56% the day before.

Quite possible that we reach 1m by the end of the weekend at this rate.
  • Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

As the only person who predicted it, I wonder if we'll have 2m at some point?

Must be a few eliminated from the competition today.
  • Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
    By my count, the country has vaccinated nearly 6 % of the population in a week and that's before that figure is added to the pile.

Mine was yesterday lunchtime, small family-run pharmacy near my flat. Queue apparently out the door at times during the day.
  • WhY dIdN't ThE gOvErNmEnT tElL pEoPlE oN tWiTtEr FiRsT??!??!
    Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

Yeah, we could and as we get to the Xmas rush people will really want to get it done before next Friday so they're ready for Xmas and the lovely very long weekend.
  • eek said:

Seriously?

And what difference does it make?
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
    By my count, the country has vaccinated nearly 6 % of the population in a week and that's before that figure is added to the pile.

Mine was yesterday lunchtime, small family-run pharmacy near my flat. Queue apparently out the door at times during the day.
    It is very impressive
    MaxPB said:

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

Yeah, we could and as we get to the Xmas rush people will really want to get it done before next Friday so they're ready for Xmas and the lovely very long weekend.
    Saturday's figure will probably be the peak I think.

Submarine Sunak disappears when shit hits the fan

The same one who is having a zoom meeting with the hospitality industry this afternoon
    Literally phoning it in. He has scuppered himself today. Remember the grief Osborne got for being in NY instead of at his desk in the run up to the pasty tax budget? The covid crisis and inflation are even bigger deals than warm pasties. Seriously, laying him at 2/1 next con leader is the valuest bet out there.

The Californian hospitality industry?
  • IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

dixiedean said:

Sorry? What?
    Told you so.
    :D

eek said:

Seriously?

Why not just abolish the field? I don't see it's much more use than vegetarian/vegan/prefer not to say.

Unfortunately it's going to be variations of "we've got no money for that".
    IshmaelZ said:

Literally phoning it in. He has scuppered himself today. Remember the grief Osborne got for being in NY instead of at his desk in the run up to the pasty tax budget? The covid crisis and inflation are even bigger deals than warm pasties. Seriously, laying him at 2/1 next con leader is the valuest bet out there.
    Everyone's got to phone it in with the whole WFCaliforniaH edict :p
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Yes I think there's a mix up inherent in the header here, trans and non binary are two seperate things.
    Although it does comes back to the same issue. These people want to get abolish the concept of sex:

2. either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
    Rishi Sunak should be in Parliament announcing business support.

Instead, he is out of the country.
    https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1471479648055930883/photo/1
  • Scott_xP said:

Why didn't Labour say they'd vote against restrictions unless business support was introduced first? 🤔
    I actually think opening up the queues will result in more people getting jabbed than having only bookings available. I really wish we'd done this in June of last year and just thrown open the queues for under 40s rather than the painful wait and lose interest "because everything is fine now" anyway. I think we could have got an extra 2m people into the funnel.
  • IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Why not just abolish the field? I don't see it's much more use than vegetarian/vegan/prefer not to say.
    I agree.
  • eek said:

eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s

As @DavidL points out above - it reads very much like cheerio - and that Lewis is heading off to retirement rather than racing next season.
    Maybe although equally it could just be an apology for dropping the appeal against Sunday's fiasco.
    Scott_xP said:

Trying to drum up some urgently needed FDI, the shame, the shame.
    FTPT

Alistair said:

I estimate SA are on for over 9000 admissions this week based on how previous weeks lagged data updates - that's up about 25%. The previous week on week increase was +80%. Their peak on the last wave was 14,725 admissions in a week.

ICU/Ventilation percentages remain delightfully low.

Thats good!

I'm actually wondering if OMICRON DESTROYER OF WORLDS hits so fast that SA will actually get a "second wave" of omicron starting in 2 weeks time. This first wave has been driven by Guateng (25% of the population, 50% of the hospital admissions), the rest of the country needs to catch up.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

Possible, but there's currently only around 19m eligible for a booster (2 doses 3 months ago), so you'd require over 10% of those people to have theirs in a single day. And the eligible population is falling fast!

So I don't think we'll quite reach 2m a day.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    The rush for vaccines at the moment is obviously driven by a certain element of fear and a lot of people wanting to get jabbed up before Christmas.

We really need a big push to remind people that the centres will be open throughout Christmas, if you hadn't been boosted and you are sitting around at home, bloody get down their while you are off work.
    edited December 2021
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Although it does comes back to the same issue. These people want to get abolish the concept of sex:

2. either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
    I think there's a small number of people born with (particularly) female genitalia and internal testes (Semenya might be one iiuc) - how do you identify them ?
    It's a very very small number of people though, and I know as soon as any sort of ruling might be made for them the much larger number of trans people would absolubtely leap on it. That's the difficulty.
  • Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive

It is very impressive
    I had my booster at a local pharmacy. Booked the day before by simply phoning up the nearest one picked off Google Maps
  • Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

Possible, but there's currently only around 19m eligible for a booster (2 doses 3 months ago), so you'd require over 10% of those people to have theirs in a single day. And the eligible population is falling fast!

So I don't think we'll quite reach 2m a day.
    My logic in suggesting it was actually that there'll be some dodgy data to the Christmas effect. So some data from multiple days gets shoved all into the same day thus artificially inflating the figure past the 2m mark.

We often see that with cases and deaths especially after Bank Holiday weekends and I believe from memory there was a Bank Holiday effect with vaccines in the Spring too.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

On topic the appellant is not happy: Elan-Cane tweeted: "THE UK GOVERNMENT AND JUDICIAL SYSTEM ARE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY - THIS IS NOT THE END - WE ARE GOING TO STRASBOURG."

Oh well.

In CAPS I notice!

Afternoon, all.

The rush for vaccines at the moment is obviously driven by a certain element of fear and a lot of people wanting to get jabbed up Christmas.

We really need a big push to remind people that the centres will be open throughout Christmas, if you hadn't been boosted and you are sitting around at home, bloody get down their while you are off work.

Yes but there's also a rush because people fear missing out and there's almost a sense of scarcity being created around getting a third dose. It's like those people who think no one has a PS5 because they're impossible to find, they want one even more. It doesn't matter that Sony has made and sold 25m of them. At this moment the government has created a scarce resource so everyone wants it. It's what we should have done in the summer for under 40s vaccines.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s

Not sure it's strange. My hot take is, having dropped the appeal, this is the team saying to Lewis they love him, and to the world that they consider him robbed.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Scott_xP said:

Why didn't Labour say they'd vote against restrictions unless business support was introduced first? 🤔
    I don't disagree with your basic premise that business support should be arranged. However you have once again misunderstood which Party is in Government and who is in Opposition. It's a very basic schoolboy error Philip- wise up!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Quick ID for the guy on the desk?
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    DavidL said:

eek said:

@MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s

It reads a bit like cheerio.
    Imagine if he throws in a well crafted retirement message, aimed at the FIA, before the gala event.

Hmmm

• Philip is going off the deep end with this anti COVID stuff
  • Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274

Effective, if there is limited cross immunity between the two variants, then both could co-exist together.

• Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

Effective, if there is limited cross immunity between the two variants, then both could co-exist together.

There is a real concern that people might end up catching both at the same time, which would be really bad.
  • Scott_xP said:

I don't disagree with your basic premise that business support should be arranged. However you have once again misunderstood which Party is in Government and who is in Opposition. It's a very basic schoolboy error Philip- wise up!
    I do understand it. The Treasury always tries to get away with the least spending it can get away with. That's dog bites man, its not original. When there's a revolt known about, the Opposition don't normally conspire to assist them in getting away with it though, that's man bites dog.

Holding the Government to account is very much the Opposition's job. Here there was a backbench revolt long signposted and the Opposition had the rare opportunity to defeat the Government unless the Government agreed to a concession. They could have chosen whatever concession they felt appropriate and the Government would have had no choice but to loosen the purse-strings or see the vote fail.

Instead the Opposition allowed the Government to keep the purse strings tight despite a backbench revolt. It is a disgrace.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Denmark, which has the second-highest number of confirmed Omicron cases, reports 9,999 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

9,999....does their excel doc not allow 5 figures?
  • tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

They are not opposed to the concept of sex. They are opposed to other people deciding their sex for them.

They are not abolishing anything. Whatever they decide does not affect you or me or anyone else.

I'm not anti-Covid.

I'm anti-restrictions. I'm quite fine to live with Covid, since we have vaccines rolled out. I got my third jab this morning.
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

If you are feeling the pinch and looking to do Xmas on the cheap BBR have 20% off Pol Roger 2013 today. Bargain.
    Yes thank you saw that. I am however a sucker for LP rosé which might be a touch common but it's still v nice...
  • IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Quick ID for the guy on the desk?
    That is the job of the passport photo
  • tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

They are not opposed to the concept of sex. They are opposed to other people deciding their sex for them.

They are not abolishing anything. Whatever they decide does not affect you or me or anyone else.
    Except it does.

If men are raping women then that is something that should be known about. That the man who raped a woman wants to be known as a woman, doesn't change facts.

That's like me saying I want every Covid death to be known as a cancer death and then say we have no Covid only cancer. Reality matters.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    edited December 2021

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
    That's up nearly another 20% on the previous day.

1.1% of pop, 1.4% of adults.

Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

There is a real concern that people might end up catching both at the same time, which would be really bad.
    Nah, we've had this all along with other variants and there's always been enough cross immunity for one to outcompete the other. It's the same as the reports of "kids get this one really badly" every time there's a new variant with the same blue tick wankers posting shit like "MAY OUR CHILDREN FORGIVE US FOR NOT LOCKING DOWN FOREVER".

I'm not anti-Covid.

I'm anti-restrictions. I'm quite fine to live with Covid, since we have vaccines rolled out. I got my third jab this morning.
    I'm positive now and self-isolating. I am not going to go on the bus and give it to people.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

DavidL said:

Hunt might have talent but does he have judgement? He made the pandemic worse by suppressing rather than acting on the Cygnus findings, and his victory over junior hospital doctors meant less of them around when needed. Boris might not like the man but what else is there to go on?
    Where he differs from the present cabinet is the apparent ability to learn from his mistakes.
    And unlike many ex ministers, he has maintained a very active interest in his former brief.
    edited December 2021

Denmark, which has the second-highest number of confirmed Omicron cases, reports 9,999 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

9,999....does their excel doc not allow 5 figures?

Subcontracted out their Covid reporting to the Russians.
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

Nah, we've had this all along with other variants and there's always been enough cross immunity for one to outcompete the other. It's the same as the reports of "kids get this one really badly" every time there's a new variant with the same blue tick wankers posting shit like "MAY OUR CHILDREN FORGIVE US FOR NOT LOCKING DOWN FOREVER".
    Always a chance in some unvaxxed immune deficient individual that's kept alive way past what they should be by desperate doctors getting the bingo recombination of....
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2021

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Except it does.

If men are raping women then that is something that should be known about. That the man who raped a woman wants to be known as a woman, doesn't change facts.

That's like me saying I want every Covid death to be known as a cancer death and then say we have no Covid only cancer.
    An assault is an assault. The sex/gender of the assailant makes no difference.

Are you seriously suggesting that some bloke would get off a rape charge because they held a passport with an 'F' in the "Sex" field?

Edit:

Reality matters.

Really? It never seems to have bothered you before....

I'm not anti-Covid.

I'm positive now and self-isolating. I am not going to go on the bus and give it to people.
    And do you think that magically means the people on the bus are never going to get it from anyone else? That's it, Covid is over because you stayed at home?

Its my view you shouldn't have to self-isolate. The virus is going to spread either way. Trying to contain its spread is doing more harm than it spreading.

If all you've got is like the common cold, then you should treat it no differently to how you'd have acted in the past with the common cold.
  • F1: Russell is 7 (probably 7.5 with boost) on Ladbrokes and layable at 6.6 on Betfair Exchange. If you have the funds, guaranteed to be green. Bit narrow, but there we are.
This discussion has been closed.