Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What Priti and Dom should do next – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Tories like Baker said Brexit, the biggest imposition of trade barriers in recent history, was about free trade.

They are now telling public health professionals to shut up and let them tell people how to act in a pandemic - and calling it libertarianism.

https://twitter.com/MatthewOToole2/status/1471492010976563208
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1471434988289671174
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    eek said:

Back to F1 - this is a mighty strange tweet

Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team
    @MercedesAMGF1
    ·
    48s
    Lewis, you are the greatest racer in the history of Formula 1 and you drove your heart out for every lap of this incredible season.

You're a flawless sportsman on and off the track and you delivered a faultless performance.

Don't give a monkeys - have cancelled my subscription and deleted all the apps - no interest in watching scripted crap so bye bye F1.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231

Scott_xP said:

745,183 booster vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday (414,645 the previous Wednesday)

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211
    NI 27,689https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1471480877540679682

That’s pretty impressive
    By my count, the country has vaccinated nearly 6 % of the population in a week and that's before that figure is added to the pile.

Mine was yesterday lunchtime, small family-run pharmacy near my flat. Queue apparently out the door at times during the day.
    It is very impressive
    Keir jabbers, Boris jabs.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Non binary people don't claim to be trans.

Yes I think there's a mix up inherent in the header here, trans and non binary are two seperate things.
    Although it does comes back to the same issue. These people want to get abolish the concept of sex:

2. either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.
    They are not opposed to the concept of sex. They are opposed to other people deciding their sex for them.

They are not abolishing anything. Whatever they decide does not affect you or me or anyone else.
    Except it does.

If men are raping women then that is something that should be known about. That the man who raped a woman wants to be known as a woman, doesn't change facts.

That's like me saying I want every Covid death to be known as a cancer death and then say we have no Covid only cancer.
    An assault is an assault. The sex/gender of the assailant makes no difference.

Are you seriously suggesting that some bloke would off rape because they held a passport with an 'F' in the "Sex" field?

Edit:

Reality matters.

Really? It never seems to have bothered you before....
    No but I am seriously suggesting that knowing the full facts, even uncomfortable ones that other people don't like, leaves you better off than being ignorant.

I've always been thought reality matters. I just don't believe other people's preconceptions matter if they don't meet up with reality. I'm a cynic by nature.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,143

Submarine Sunak disappears when shit hits the fan

The same one who is having a zoom meeting with the hospitality industry this afternoon
    Whatever! A whopping error I would have thought as Johnson's premiership teeters on the brink.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021
    Just joined the booster queue. About 70 people in front of me, waiting for the 3-6pm slot to start.

I thought I’d arrive 15 mins early, to be on the safe side…..

A dozen just joined the queue behind me in the last minute…
  • Options
    With extra days update in RSA, now looks very difficult for hospital admissions in Johannesberg to exceeed last week's levels this week. Total beds occupied not rising fast and likely to peak pretty shortly, at a very management level.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942

Denmark, which has the second-highest number of confirmed Omicron cases, reports 9,999 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

9,999....does their excel doc not allow 5 figures?

Only 3.6 roentgen, not great, not terrible...
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
    That's up nearly another 20% on the previous day.

1.1% of pop, 1.4% of adults.
    I still don’t think they’re being creative enough with it all. They should have loads of vaccine vans at the football stadiums, get a jab and get a voucher for a free pint at halftime. Do the same thing in the town centres day and night all over the country.
  • Options
    Are we missing part of Ms CycleFree's article? It seems to end rather abruptly, and I'd like to know what Priti and Dom should do next (if it's printable).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kamski said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

This sounds depressingly plausible;

Whitty says that very few unvaccinated are anti-vaxxers. As well as convincing them that jabs work and don't have serious side effects, he says convenience is key.

When he was last on the wards and treating unvaxxed, "an awful lot of them said they hadn't got round to it yet"

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1471440412153896961?t=amP94u8D6WCbyeqqAc8NZA&s=19

Obviously, "haven't got round to it" is a rubbish excuse, but is there more that could have been done? The rollout seems to have lost oomph somewhere, albeit picked up again now.

"Hadn't got round to it yet" is such a mealy mouthed response to not having got it and covering up a well of antivax sentiment in those who say it. Chris Whitty being far too kind, IMO.
    This is why vaccine passports will probably increase uptake to a degree. Suddenly not being able to do stuff means people will get round to it
    I'm not sure that they will, they've had them in France and the French still have around a million over 60s with no vaccines. Cajoling them by excluding them from a cocktail bar or nightclub doesn't seem like it will do the trick, at least IMO, and in France it didn't.

The best way forwards is a really wide reaching public information and education campaign. We should have been preparing the ground for this as soon as the pandemic started. (Re)Building trust in vaccines, in scientific process, knocking down antivax sentiment online and on social media, ensured that everyone felt included in the process. That's what they did in Portugal and they've got 89% by population with at least one dose vs the UK at just over 76% and France at 80%. Public awareness and positive campaigns do a lot more to reach those final few than the threat of sanctions which tend to just entrench "firmly held views".

OK but, looking at the Yougov poll from November 2020 this is how countries started off in terms of willingness to be vaccinated against coronavirus:

UK 54%
    Germany 40%
    France 25%

No figure for Portugal, but on those figures France has done a better job than most on persuading people to get vaccinated.

Life has been made quite difficult and/or expensive for the unvaccinated in Italy, and this does seem to have boosted vaccine take up there.
    But in France, where I have had a more detailed look at the stats, it's mainly those young people who were on the fence or had some inertia to overcome that went for it. There's around a million, at least when I last checked, completely unvaccinated over 60s. Telling a French Algerian of Muslim faith that he or she can't go to a pub without a vaccine passport isn't going to make any difference to them getting vaccinated. Telling them that they are once again "othered" by society may even make things worse.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/16/everything-falling-place-liz-truss/

Torygraph has the hots for Liz, and check out her Xmas card

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1471045885446533129?s=20

See your fleg, raise you a globe. Go Liz! Always nice when a 100/1 shot comes in
  • Options
    Fantastic to see. 👍

What a shame its so noteworthy that crowds are happening in December? What a tragedy that it isn't the norm.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 626,846
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 59,437
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 31,211

That’s pretty impressive
    By my count, the country has vaccinated nearly 6 % of the population in a week and that's before that figure is added to the pile.

Mine was yesterday lunchtime, small family-run pharmacy near my flat. Queue apparently out the door at times during the day.
    It is very impressive
    Keir jabbers, Boris jabs.
    At least this time Johnson responded with this quip in regard to Covid. When he first used it he was responding to a question on low rates of rape prosecutions.

So that's an improvement.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    maaarsh said:

With extra days update in RSA, now looks very difficult for hospital admissions in Johannesberg to exceeed last week's levels this week. Total beds occupied not rising fast and likely to peak pretty shortly, at a very management level.

And according to the hospitals the majority of these admissions are incidental covid
  • Options

The same one who is having a zoom meeting with the hospitality industry this afternoon
    Whatever! A whopping error I would have thought as Johnson's premiership teeters on the brink.
    I seem to recall a trip to the dentist working out quite well. There is an old saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder and I can well believe it in the case of Tory cabinet ministers!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Whitty says that very few unvaccinated are anti-vaxxers. As well as convincing them that jabs work and don't have serious side effects, he says convenience is key.

When he was last on the wards and treating unvaxxed, "an awful lot of them said they hadn't got round to it yet"

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1471440412153896961?t=amP94u8D6WCbyeqqAc8NZA&s=19

Obviously, "haven't got round to it" is a rubbish excuse, but is there more that could have been done? The rollout seems to have lost oomph somewhere, albeit picked up again now.

"Hadn't got round to it yet" is such a mealy mouthed response to not having got it and covering up a well of antivax sentiment in those who say it. Chris Whitty being far too kind, IMO.
    This is why vaccine passports will probably increase uptake to a degree. Suddenly not being able to do stuff means people will get round to it
    I'm not sure that they will, they've had them in France and the French still have around a million over 60s with no vaccines. Cajoling them by excluding them from a cocktail bar or nightclub doesn't seem like it will do the trick, at least IMO, and in France it didn't.

The best way forwards is a really wide reaching public information and education campaign. We should have been preparing the ground for this as soon as the pandemic started. (Re)Building trust in vaccines, in scientific process, knocking down antivax sentiment online and on social media, ensured that everyone felt included in the process. That's what they did in Portugal and they've got 89% by population with at least one dose vs the UK at just over 76% and France at 80%. Public awareness and positive campaigns do a lot more to reach those final few than the threat of sanctions which tend to just entrench "firmly held views".

OK but, looking at the Yougov poll from November 2020 this is how countries started off in terms of willingness to be vaccinated against coronavirus:

UK 54%
    Germany 40%
    France 25%

No figure for Portugal, but on those figures France has done a better job than most on persuading people to get vaccinated.

Life has been made quite difficult and/or expensive for the unvaccinated in Italy, and this does seem to have boosted vaccine take up there.
    But in France, where I have had a more detailed look at the stats, it's mainly those young people who were on the fence or had some inertia to overcome that went for it. There's around a million, at least when I last checked, completely unvaccinated over 60s. Telling a French Algerian of Muslim faith that he or she can't go to a pub without a vaccine passport isn't going to make any difference to them getting vaccinated. Telling them that they are once again "othered" by society may even make things worse.
    France has used harsher and wider compulsory measures than us - don't know about P and G - and it works.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Seriously?

WTF does it matter if they have an 'X' in their passport? It is a matter for them. It will not make the slightest difference to me or anyone else on here. The world will not stop.

It does matter because it changes the purpose of that field on a passport/
    And what difference does it make?
    Why not just abolish the field? I don't see it's much more use than vegetarian/vegan/prefer not to say.
    Quick ID for the guy on the desk?
    That is the job of the passport photo
    So the doc says male and the officer sees what's apparently a female is standing in front of him?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274

Effective, if there is limited cross immunity between the two variants, then both could co-exist together.

There is a real concern that people might end up catching both at the same time, which would be really bad.
    Nah, we've had this all along with other variants and there's always been enough cross immunity for one to outcompete the other. It's the same as the reports of "kids get this one really badly" every time there's a new variant with the same blue tick wankers posting shit like "MAY OUR CHILDREN FORGIVE US FOR NOT LOCKING DOWN FOREVER".
    Max - regarding your interesting post on the which combinations of jabs/prior infection give most protection against serious illness, did your friend give any indication of the relative magnitudes of protection, for example whether categories 1 to 4 are very similar, but with a big loss of protection when you go down to category 5?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    eek said:

Seriously?

WTF does it matter if they have an 'X' in their passport? It is a matter for them. It will not make the slightest difference to me or anyone else on here. The world will not stop.

Just as a matter of interest, if I am post-op trans, do I get to put my new sex on the passport?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

UK 54%
    Germany 40%
    France 25%

France has used harsher and wider compulsory measures than us - don't know about P and G - and it works.
    Does it though? France clocked in ~65k cases yesterday and that's before big Omi has the key in the ignition.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Recovering from surgery. Observations:

- Worst sandwich ever. Thought I had a problem with my throat, told nurse, he said they are the problem.

- Mask wearing by nurses at desk (bout 4m away) non-existent. Appreciate it's been two years of this crap, but the bloke next to me is 90 and there is a new variant on the loose.

- I don't need to pee despite litres of water, so can't go home.

- Incredibly bored. Keep up with the interesting posts.

Total bugger, feel for you. Lovely day out too, warm and sunny, in Devon anyway.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

- Worst sandwich ever. Thought I had a problem with my throat, told nurse, he said they are the problem.

- Mask wearing by nurses at desk (bout 4m away) non-existent. Appreciate it's been two years of this crap, but the bloke next to me is 90 and there is a new variant on the loose.

Hope you are up and about soon. Glad PB is helping your recovery :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Just as a matter of interest, if I am post-op trans, do I get to put my new sex on the passport?
    I think you need to obtain a gender reassignment certificate to make it official.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    DavidL said:

I seem to recall a trip to the dentist working out quite well. There is an old saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder and I can well believe it in the case of Tory cabinet ministers!
    It worked for Johnson when he went to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban instead of laying his life down on the Heathrow runway. This looks more like Raab sipping daiquiris while Kabul fell.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Interesting thread on the interaction between Delta and Omicron.

https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1470420195567030274

Effective, if there is limited cross immunity between the two variants, then both could co-exist together.

There is a real concern that people might end up catching both at the same time, which would be really bad.
    Nah, we've had this all along with other variants and there's always been enough cross immunity for one to outcompete the other. It's the same as the reports of "kids get this one really badly" every time there's a new variant with the same blue tick wankers posting shit like "MAY OUR CHILDREN FORGIVE US FOR NOT LOCKING DOWN FOREVER".
    Max - regarding your interesting post on the which combinations of jabs/prior infection give most protection against serious illness, did your friend give any indication of the relative magnitudes of protection, for example whether categories 1 to 4 are very similar, but with a big loss of protection when you go down to category 5?
    He didn't but it's a good question, I'll ask it tonight after work is over, I don't like to bother him during his work day too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

See your fleg, raise you a globe. Go Liz! Always nice when a 100/1 shot comes in

It's not the Torygraph; it's someone called "Eliot".

She has even called her daughter Liberty.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

I think you do as you'd have a gender recognition certificate.
  • Options

Are we missing part of Ms CycleFree's article? It seems to end rather abruptly, and I'd like to know what Priti and Dom should do next (if it's printable).

I think you are right and the Scottish government being taken to court as a generality is hardly news.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Whilst we're on this...

https://twitter.com/moveincircles/status/1471494916446384139

“Sex stereotypes are bad. Also a person's inner sense of gender, based on sex stereotypes, is more real and important than their biological sex'

More or less sums up where I am. Feeling a different gender doesn't even make any sense if you actually follow through on the liberation of people from traditional roles. Wear what you like, change your name to what you like.
  • Options
    A useful chart on the situation in Guateng:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1471490003804954644

I'm not sure it's all that encouraging. On the positive side, cases, and admissions, don't seem to be rising as fast as they were, but admissions are already up to 50% of the delta peak, with presumably further to go.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Something of Scandal in Belgravia about that Christmas card.
  • Options

I'm not sure it's all that encouraging. On the positive side, cases, and admissions, don't seem to be rising as fast as they were, but admissions are already up to 50% of the delta peak, with presumably further to go.

Cases peaked within a fortnight, potentially?

That looks great, suggests this will burn out rapidly. And they've not gone for lockdown or any of the other mass hysteria that's happening here? And don't have our vaccine coverage either?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    MIKE - this post is not yet finished. These were just my initial ramblings at about 2 a am this morning g.

Sorry folks.
  • Options

Yes, the optics are fcking terrible. The Cox in BVI, Callaghan in Guadeloupe vibe is impossible to ignore. FFS he was even being told what to do by the IMF two days ago. He has to live down the fact that he came in as a lightweight who was prepared to be Dom's bitch where Javid wasn't, and that he is fcking rich. Where is the best place to go to look like a rich lightweight?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Interesting piece.

I think NL is the one that has just gone for an M/F/X option.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

You don't even need a GRC. A doctors letter is sufficient.

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/gender
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Eabhal said:

The not needing to pee thing was an unwelcome and unexpected side effect of knee surgery I had 20-odd years ago. Only thing I can advise is try really hard to force some out (periodically), even if it doesn't feel like it's there. Painful, but once it's underway again the body quickly remembers what it's supposed to be doing.
    Get well soon!
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893
    Cyclefree said:

MIKE - this post is not yet finished. These were just my initial ramblings at about 2 a am this morning g.

Sorry folks.

Your "ramblings" are annoyingly good.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

A 100/1? Wow.

I bet you can't believe your luck that the current favourite has just blown it.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JMagosh/status/1471430769696546822

Starmer onto win the next GE on these numbers
  • Options

That looks great, suggests this will burn out rapidly. And they've not gone for lockdown or any of the other mass hysteria that's happening here? And don't have our vaccine coverage either?
    I think the worry, which my friend articulated last night, is that one and two dose coverage for Omicron might not cut it, so while we've not got many people in zero doses or many in one, we've got a metric fuckton in two dose only. I'll get the detail on what his immunity model says specifically for three doses vs two doses though. As I've been saying for weeks, this booster rush is just too late. We've had it within our capability to do this many doses per day for at least two months, yet we've been fannying about with the same tired JCVI order straitjacket.
  • Options

Philip is going off the deep end with this anti COVID stuff

I'm not anti-Covid.

I'm anti-restrictions. I'm quite fine to live with Covid, since we have vaccines rolled out. I got my third jab this morning.
    I'm positive now and self-isolating. I am not going to go on the bus and give it to people.
    And do you think that magically means the people on the bus are never going to get it from anyone else? That's it, Covid is over because you stayed at home?

Its my view you shouldn't have to self-isolate. The virus is going to spread either way. Trying to contain its spread is doing more harm than it spreading.

If all you've got is like the common cold, then you should treat it no differently to how you'd have acted in the past with the common cold.
    Thank you Doctor.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171

The log scale is a little alarming at first...
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

I'm not anti-Covid.

I'm anti-restrictions. I'm quite fine to live with Covid, since we have vaccines rolled out. I got my third jab this morning.
    I'm positive now and self-isolating. I am not going to go on the bus and give it to people.
    And do you think that magically means the people on the bus are never going to get it from anyone else? That's it, Covid is over because you stayed at home?

Its my view you shouldn't have to self-isolate. The virus is going to spread either way. Trying to contain its spread is doing more harm than it spreading.

If all you've got is like the common cold, then you should treat it no differently to how you'd have acted in the past with the common cold.
    I agree, until you start to think about what this means for hospitals and ICU's.

Some masks, WFH, self isolation when ill, sheilding the very vulnerable etc - ok.
    Vaccine passports and mandates, restrictions on movement, stay home orders, internment, school closures, major encroachments in to freedom and liberty - no thanks.

• Options

Possibly, but there's no way you can conclude that on the data that's available. The current slow-down might be because of behavioural changes, or because Omicron blitzed through the youngsters and is now reaping the older cohorts more slowly but implacably, or that there's a blip in the data-gathering. We just don't know yet, nor do we know how well the SA experience will map over to the UK situation.
  • Options

Careful Horse. Labour have just shipped 3 points ( MoE+?). HYUFD will be along shortly to translate that into a Tory majority with DUP C & S.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I implore people who want to make comments about how OMNINOMNOMNOM is doing in SA to look at the source of the data themselves and look at the historical reports compared to today and get a feel for how lagged the data is.

The data collection is comprehensive and well presented, the lag is large. Making definitive pronouncements of how it is doing is very risky.

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/
  • Options
    As of 14 December, 5,986 people were in hospital with Covid, of whom 4,387 were being primarily treated for Covid (England). https://england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Interesting to see how this stat moves - share of 'not really covid' people in the covid hospital number has been growing and incoming tsunami of (so far and hopefully to remain) milder cases may push it further.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.
    The point is well made though. We have had tens of thousands of deaths per year from "flu and pneumonia".

Asian tourists aside I don't remember people not getting the bus or anyone wearing masks previously.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

I'm not anti-Covid.

Except it isn't like the common cold.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

As of 14 December, 5,986 people were in hospital with Covid, of whom 4,387 were being primarily treated for Covid (England). https://england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Interesting to see how this stat moves - share of 'not really covid' people in the covid hospital number has been growing and incoming tsunami of (so far and hopefully to remain) milder cases may push it further.

Comparing to prior week, looks like half the growth in covid hospital numbers over last week was for people with positive tests needing medical attention for something else.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

A 100/1? Wow.

I bet you can't believe your luck that the current favourite has just blown it.
    Yes. Always sad to see a talented young high flyer run out of road, but...
    Bet was a fiver and I've had £10 odd back by cashing out, but £190 to come if she hits the jackpot.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TOPPING said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.
    The point is well made though. We have had tens of thousands of deaths per year from "flu and pneumonia".

Asian tourists aside I don't remember people not getting the bus or anyone wearing masks previously.
    Maybe if they had done, fewer people would have died?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited December 2021
    Awesome, culture wars as a header on PB. Just what we need to lighten the mood in these days of omicron.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Alistair said:

I implore people who want to make comments about how OMNINOMNOMNOM is doing in SA to look at the source of the data themselves at look at the historical reports compared to today and get a feel for how lagged the data is.

The data collection is comprehensive and well presented, the lag is large. Making definitive pronouncements of how it is doing is very risky.

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

It was one of the big things the data guy from the FT stated very early on when Omicron hit, the amount of back filling that goes on with data from SA, especially the hospital related data.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,774

Boris surely is at a pretty low ebb in this. I'm pretty certain that Starmer isn't making any headway. He's doing a little better than his prior paddling-around-in-circles though.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

That chart is for daily admissions and appears to be close to peaking at just above 50% of the maximum daily number for delta. Which is good news. Also the slope to get to that peak is much steeper, meaning the wave itself is much shorter in time. Which means you haven’t had the slow burn of consistently high admissions clogging up the system. With the area under the curve likely to be way smaller than prior waves.

And that is without considering the average admission to discharge time, which I recall reading a week or so ago looked like being slightly shorter. Or the severity of condition for those admitted, which is not detailed in that ft thread but has been confirmed as on average quite a lot better than prior waves.

The only thing I can see which undoes us, is if the saffas have superior immunity from their big beta wave and big delta wave, versus our big v1.0, alpha and smaller delta waves plus superior vaccination.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279
    edited December 2021

You do know there are three Christmases before the next GE

And a week is a long time in politics, indeed it was only a few weeks ago the conservatives were leading in the polls then came Paterson
  • Options

Hospitals are not under any pressure in Guateng (as the premier of Guateng confirmed today), it is completely different to Delta, these charts look a bit scary but the majority of Covid admissions are incidental i.e.they are not being treated for Covid. In a population of 15 million there are only 90 people on ventialtion and out of those some will not be for Covid. Compare and contrast to the number for the previous Delta wave when they run out of beds and oxygen.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

No matter what happens at the by-election today i will be a minimum of 33 pence richer due to my trading acumen.

Don't spend it all at once....
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1471479648055930883

Rishi Sunak should be in Parliament announcing business support.

Instead, he is out of the country.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Boris surely is at a pretty low ebb in this. I'm pretty certain that Starmer isn't making any headway. He's doing a little better than his prior paddling-around-in-circles though.
    I just do not see Boris in office much longer
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    Alistair said:

No matter what happens at the by-election today i will be a minimum of 33 pence richer due to my trading acumen.

#livingthedream
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Philip has got an excuse - and if it were Labour he'd be calling Labour out. Bye hyper-partisan he is not!
  • Options
    EMA approves Pfizer's Covid pill for emergency use by member states, pending formal authorisation across the bloc

I don't believe the MHRA have yet. Have they got a bit like the JCVI and mañana?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited December 2021

I'm not anti-Covid.

Give it a fucking rest.
    There will be people out there who've done the right thing, got their booster say in the last three days but it's not yet at full effect.
    Stop telling people to infect each other you absolute fucking tart.
  • Options
    Stand up! If you love the darts...!

Honestly I think that all sporting events are at massive risk of having the plug pulled, and the darts is no exception. Happily they have a break over Christmas so could reschedule any matches that can't be played.
  • Options

And a week is a long time in politics, indeed it was only a few weeks ago the conservatives were leading in the polls then came Paterson
    Then parties, HS2 cock up, wallpapergate redivivus, peppa pig speech, FO whistleblower on Kabul and some other stuff I've temporarily forgotten. So your point is not clear.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Bit silly when he is about to have a Zoom call with the hospitality industry, and is it now wrong to attend pre arranged oversees trade discussions seeking big investments in UK technologies
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.

Maybe so. But no one was crying out for fewer deaths so we must assume that was a price people were willing to pay.
  • Options
    The latest headline page from SA news. Omicron does not even make the top 10 stories.

https://www.news24.com/
  • Options

Alistair said:

Don't spend it all at once....
    I'll have you know if the Conservatives hold I will have won thirty FIVE pence.

Betfair says I can equalise and win 34p no matter the result but i lile to love life on the edge.
  • Options

Stand up! If you love the darts...!

Honestly I think that all sporting events are at massive risk of having the plug pulled, and the darts is no exception. Happily they have a break over Christmas so could reschedule any matches that can't be played.
    da da da da da...COOOOVID.........da da da da da...COOOOVID.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA1K_tvNio0
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Whilst we're on this...

“Sex stereotypes are bad. Also a person's inner sense of gender, based on sex stereotypes, is more real and important than their biological sex'

More or less sums up where I am. Feeling a different gender doesn't even make any sense if you actually follow through on the liberation of people from traditional roles. Wear what you like, change your name to what you like.
    I don't care what people want to wear.
    I don't care what they call themselves.
    I don't care who they have sex with provided it is consensual and above age.
    I do care that women and other vulnerable people are safe.
    I think that their safety and confidence is more important than the desire of those who claim to wish to call themselves women.
    I do also rather care that rather more children than one would expect are going down the trans route. Two children - one boy and one girl - from my oldest daughter's old primary school class are now identifying as the opposite gender at the age of 11. I know of a third at another local school. This feels wildly out of kilter with how many one would expect and does rather suggest (to me) that 'trans' has become something of an easy answer to the normal pre-teen condition of not-quite-feeling-comfortable-in-your-own-body. Perhaps.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Whilst we're on this...

I think that their safety and confidence is more important than the desire of those who claim to wish to call themselves women.
    I do also rather care that rather more children than one would expect are going down the trans route. Two children - one boy and one girl - from my oldest daughter's old primary school class are now identifying as the opposite gender at the age of 11. I know of a third at another local school. This feels wildly out of kilter with how many one would expect and does rather suggest (to me) that 'trans' has become something of an easy answer to the normal pre-teen condition of not-quite-feeling-comfortable-in-your-own-body. Perhaps.
    And a way of trolling your mum and dad.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Well. My ninth day since testing positive.
    This may be many things, but for someone with no prior infection, it ain't the common cold, that's for sure.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

He is away having root canal on a trade mission

It is entirely coincidental that he stays well out of the way as the sky collapses in on Peppa.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Then parties, HS2 cock up, wallpapergate redivivus, peppa pig speech, FO whistleblower on Kabul and some other stuff I've temporarily forgotten. So your point is not clear.
    My point is Paterson was the catalyst for what followed
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Bit silly when he is about to have a Zoom call with the hospitality industry, and is it now wrong to attend pre arranged oversees trade discussions seeking big investments in UK technologies
    Optics innit
  • Options

Awesome, culture wars as a header on PB. Just what we need to lighten the mood in these days of omicron.

I am assured that the missing bit was a couple of really good knock knock jokes.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.

Maybe so. But no one was crying out for fewer deaths so we must assume that was a price people were willing to pay.
    Or that we had imperfect knowledge.

I hate masks as much as anyone, but I think we do have to consider the possibility that the Asians were onto something with the idea that basic consideration for others implies you should wear one if you think you might be infectious, eg on public transport, and that now that we know it's potentially a life saving intervention, we should follow suit.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Give it a fucking rest.
    There will be people out there who've done the right thing, got their booster say in the last three days but it's not yet at full effect.
    Stop telling people to infect each other you absolute fucking tart.
    I do not share your language but agree with the sentiment
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.

There's more to life than medicine. People getting socm then getting better (or not) is part of life and builds up your immune system.
  • Options

The latest headline page from SA news. Omicron does not even make the top 10 stories.

https://www.news24.com/

You can be sure that it will lead all the UK media headlines for many weeks to come
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Here's another small bit of random information from a pharma person on modelled immunity based on vaccine and virus contact, from best to worst modelled immunity against severe symptoms:

1. 3 doses + infection
    2. 2 doses + infection
    3. 1 dose + infection
    4. 3 doses = Infection and no vaccines
    5. 2 doses
    6. 1 dose
    7. No doses and no infection

He thinks this is why SA has done better with Omicron than people thought they would and why we really need to get a rush for third doses. He said at the moment around 90% of over 50s are in the top 4 categories but getting that up above 95% will be the difference between an NHS crisis and not. Omicron, in his opinion, presents milder symptoms in SA because everyone already had COVID at least once before, it may not be intrinsically milder. Our glut of people in categories 5 and 6 are the most worrying aspect because SA doesn't have many people left who haven't been infected.

That's really interesting thank you.

Would that mean that the UK is in a better position this winter facing this wave because of the fact that so many got infected earlier this year then?

Does this mean that if the UK had followed iSAGE [and others] advice and prevented those cases from spreading then we'd be in an even worse position now for this wave?

Finally does it mean if the NHS does get overwhelmed then the problem is in part due to having too few cases in the past meaning we don't have enough immunity now? Would we be better off now, if we'd had more cases before now?
    1. Probably, yes. But to what extend beyond unvaccinated people getting infected we don't know.
    2. Again, it's hard to say but I'd tend to yes, but that's my non-expert opinion.
    3. I think the failure probably isn't in not ramping up the cases, it's more to do with being too complacent about booster vaccines. He specifically said that three doses of vaccine will provide very high level protection against severe symptoms, he's also the same person who said the programme should have commenced earlier and used a 4.5 month gap (which I definitely wrote about on here at some point, pre-Omicron too, if anyone wants to check) which would have put us in a much better place heading into Xmas.
    There's also a very interesting question about which prior infections offer the most protection: do you do better if you got Delta or Alpha or Original Brand Covid? And it would also be good to get a feel for how time since vaccination matters.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

IshmaelZ said:

My point is Paterson was the catalyst for what followed
    Paterson's sole use appears to be that he was the current case that had completed investigation and for reasons that will become more obvious (wallpapergate) this was the only case available to push through a change that Boris seemingly desperately needed.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Seriously?

Whilst we're on this...

It is not impossible that there are other reasons for this. The precipitous falls in testosterone levels in young men may be triggered by plastics or other chemicals that are in the environment. If that is right more complicated mixtures of sexual characteristics just might be at the outer edge of that. Its a hypothesis, nothing more, but I am concerned about the chemical and radio wave soup that we live in may be causing harm.
  • Options
    Leicester - Spurs tonight and Utd v Brighton on Saturday cancelled

I would not bet on the premier league not being cancelled to the new year
  • Options
    Baffled by responses to this saying things like "signs of hope!"

This data is completely consistent with everything we’ve seen since Omicron emerged.

There’s never been evidence either for "we’re doomed!" or "it’s super mild!", and you shouldn’t trust anyone claiming as much.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1471494951968014347?s=20
  • Options
    Did they not all go to Ibiza with some statue in tow?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not anti-Covid.

Thank you Doctor.

Or that we had imperfect knowledge.

I hate masks as much as anyone, but I think we do have to consider the possibility that the Asians were onto something with the idea that basic consideration for others implies you should wear one if you think you might be infectious, eg on public transport, and that now that we know it's potentially a life saving intervention, we should follow suit.
    You could catch the flu from someone who had it? This was not commonly known?

We knew it hence the flu jab and no one decided you wear a mask.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rape is not just a male crime. Women have been convicted of it on an art and part basis.
    In addition s1 (4) of the Sexual Offences (S) Act 2009 provides:
    "In this Act—
    “penis” includes a surgically constructed penis if it forms part of A, having been created in the course of surgical treatment, and
    “vagina” includes—
    (a)the vulva, and
    (b)a surgically constructed vagina (together with any surgically constructed vulva), if it forms part of B, having been created in the course of such treatment."

So a woman who has a surgically constructed penis can be guilty of rape (of course such a woman is likely to have a gender reassignment certificate, although not necessarily so).

Yes, there was this bizarre case as well: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/15/gayle-newland-retrial.

Ontopic: I'm not sure why there should be such a fuss about trans issues in this country compared with say Germany or even the US. It mainly seems to be a small no. 50 something women like JK Rowling and Rosie Duffield who have a crazy obsession with trans people as well as the likes of Kathleen Stock and Joanna Cherry who are exploiting this issue for personal grift in addition to troublemakers in newspaper outlets like the Times.
This discussion has been closed.