Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

My search to try to find a value North Shropshire bet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2021 in General
imageMy search to try to find a value North Shropshire bet – politicalbetting.com

Although I think that the LDs have a good chance in Thursday’s North Shropshire by-election I am not tempted by the current odds which currently rate the party’s chances at 61%. Even though we know that the party is “good” at Westminster by-elections this is far too tight. I would rate the party’s chances at evens but no tighter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    edited December 2021
    First, like Sunak in the leadership contest.
  • 4 millionth and 1, as in the number of new Omicron infections today.
  • Are you on commission with Smarkets?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Can one catch Delta and Omicron at the same time?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,280
    edited December 2021
    Forth like the firth

(Well that worked out well)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Yes. There have been cases of people having multiple variants at the same time in the past and its bad news. Same as you really don't want to catch flu and covid at the same time.
  • pigeon said:

Best price: Sunak next PM 5/2

How big is your stake then?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Yes.
    That sounds like a threesome I don’t want to be involved with
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

That's the question I've been wanting to ask but was too afraid to.
    I assume yes.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836

Doin' the DO?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,280
    dixiedean said:

Doin' the DO?
    Or ODing on covid?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

Plausibly yes.

pigeon said:

LOL! I only come here to chat. I'm too poor to gamble, save perhaps for the occasional trip to the races (and too often wrong.)
  • Don’t understand why folk eat a North American species for Christmas dinner. We should eat European food at festivals. I’m a big fan of steak pie. Beef Wellington, duck or goose also great. Venison or lamb sounds good too. Maybe hare or wild boar?

Not rabbit or pork.

We cook a massive Sri Lankan meal for Christmas Dinner. The kids prefer it to the traditional roast. Curry for Christmas is the way forward.
    Sounds fantastic.
  • Can one catch Delta and Omicron at the same time?

Plausibly yes.
    https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/526106
    edited December 2021
    I alerted the wider world to Omicron - and I believe Britain is overreacting, says Doctor Angelique Coetzee, the South African GP who knows more about its effects than anyone

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10306211/DR-ANGELIQUE-COETZEE-alerted-wider-world-Omicron-believe-Britain-overreacting.html

Does this lady ever doing any doctoring? She never seems off the media.

Maybe that's why she doesn't see any serious COVID cases, too busy doing telly interviews and by the time she has get to calling them into her office they have taken a turn for the worse and already been carted off in an ambulance.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    edited December 2021
    I can’t believe anyone still has turkey at Christmas. It really is a crap option. Why? It’s not traditional, it’s boring, nobody ever bothers with it any other time of the year.

I normally do a rib of beef. This year we are going for an organic rooster!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Yes. There have been cases of people having multiple variants at the same time in the past and its bad news. Same as you really don't want to catch flu and covid at the same time.
    You could even be a Delta/Omicron recombination host. Like winning the lottery from hell.
  • pigeon said:

pigeon said:

LOL! I only come here to chat. I'm too poor to gamble, save perhaps for the occasional trip to the races (and too often wrong.)
    Speak to Malcolm.

I alerted the wider world to Omicron - and I believe Britain is overreacting, says Doctor Angelique Coetzee, the South African GP who knows more about its effects than anyone

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10306211/DR-ANGELIQUE-COETZEE-alerted-wider-world-Omicron-believe-Britain-overreacting.html

Does this lady ever doing any doctoring? She never seems off the media. Maybe that's why she doesn't see any COVID, too busy doing telly interviews.

Is she not head of a gp society or something? So a bit like Chris Hopson, also never of TV as head of NHS providers (or something).
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Are you on commission with Smarkets?

I think there are three main reasons why Smarkets are featured in a lot of the recent thread headers discussing bets.

1. Shadsy moved there from Ladbrokes and creates a lot of interesting markets.

2. Betfair trashed their reputation with shenanigans over the settling of various markets in recent years - which means that bets there have to take into account the risk of Betfair interpreting the rules of their market in a non-obvious way.

3. Not much point in discussing the odds in non-exchange/spread-bet markets when the traditional bookies limit the stakes of moderately successful punters to derisory amounts.
  • I can’t believe anyone still has turkey at Christmas. It really is a crap option. Why? It’s not traditional, it’s boring, nobody ever bothers with it any other time of the year.

I normally do a rib of beef. This year we are going for an organic rooster!

Totally agree.....
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,160
    In other news, there’s a small but non-negligible chance of a white Christmas in Southern England this year, if the big dome of high pressure we’re about to get drifts a bit northwards next week.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=50583&var=201&run=12&date=2021-12-13&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

That really would be a proper dead cat.

Or it might just be dry and frosty.

No. But since Shadsy moved there from Ladbrokes they have the best range of political bets by a long way.
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

You could even be a Delta/Omicron recombination host. Like winning the lottery from hell.
    There is some poor sod in the data from South Africa who has had COVID 4 separate times....
    Tomorrow’s papers all carrying the 200,000 omi cases a day line, as are ITV News. That’s it then, all over by Christmas Monday as every man, woman, boy, girl, cat, dog and goldfish from Land’s End to John O’Groats will have had it by then.
  • The pandemic to be with us until 2025?

‘Government’s Test and Trace service could run until 2025, consulting contracts suggest’
    - One of four new deals worth up to £111m indicate foreign travel rules may also be in force for years

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/test-and-trace-2025-covid-b1974905.html?amp
    edited December 2021

I think there are three main reasons why Smarkets are featured in a lot of the recent thread headers discussing bets.

2. Betfair trashed their reputation with shenanigans over the settling of various markets in recent years - which means that bets there have to take into account the risk of Betfair interpreting the rules of their market in a non-obvious way.

3. Not much point in discussing the odds in non-exchange/spread-bet markets when the traditional bookies limit the stakes of moderately successful punters to derisory amounts.
    4. There's no premium charge at Smarkets.

5. Of places where anyone moderately succesful can still get on, Betfair is still the market leader. It's in punters long term interests to promote the alternatives - Smarkets offers a hell of a lot more political markets than Betdaq though.
  • Tomorrow’s papers all carrying the 200,000 omi cases a day line, as are ITV News. That’s it then, all over by Christmas Monday as every man, woman, boy, girl, cat, dog and goldfish from Land’s End to John O’Groats will have had it by then.

I've had it twice this evening already....
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005

Maybe that's why she doesn't see any serious COVID cases, too busy doing telly interviews and by the time she has get to calling them into her office they have taken a turn for the worse and already been carted off in an ambulance.

She is the chair of the South African medical association.

Other South African doctors are of course free to tell us how overwhelmed or worried they are.
    TimS said:

In other news, there’s a small but non-negligible chance of a white Christmas in Southern England this year, if the big dome of high pressure we’re about to get drifts a bit northwards next week.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/ens_image.php?geoid=50583&var=201&run=12&date=2021-12-13&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

That really would be a proper dead cat.

Or it might just be dry and frosty.

TBH much as I love snow, and I really love snow, I’d prefer dry and frosty. Avoids messy travel complications.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,160

Pulpstar said:

There is some poor sod in the data from South Africa who has had COVID 4 separate times....
    The fact he’s had it 4 times suggests he survived, so he’s done better than many other poor sods.
  • Can one catch Delta and Omicron at the same time?

Delticron
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2021

All good points!

1. Shadsy is good. Very good.

2. New info for me. But I’m unsurprised.

3. Can’t stand those dishonest twats. Every single one either closed my account or limited me to preposterously small stakes when I won big. They need sorting out IMHO. At the moment it is a pure racket.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,066
    edited December 2021

Pulpstar said:

That sounds nasty and a bit tough, but I know quite a few people that have had it twice.

That’s just silly and unfair - she is chair of the South African Medical Association and thus has a role in communicating the views of her members to the media.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Delticron
    My favourite Transformer.

Tomorrow’s papers all carrying the 200,000 omi cases a day line, as are ITV News. That’s it then, all over by Christmas Monday as every man, woman, boy, girl, cat, dog and goldfish from Land’s End to John O’Groats will have had it by then.

Fake News as a US politician once said.
    edited December 2021

She is the chair of the South African medical association.

Other South African doctors are of course free to tell us how overwhelmed or worried they are.
    They are on the beach having a braai at this time of year.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Those headlines could be a good thing, help drive for the booster programme. Looks like it might be working already as today across the land people were queuing up for hours to get jabbed.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Nice bet, and agree that's very good odds for something which isn't that unlikely at all if the LDs win or come close (which is a far shorter price).
    edited December 2021

S markets certainly put up good markets, and I agree about BFX and the other bookies.

Their home page on current betting as a dashboard is good too.

The pandemic to be with us until 2025?

‘Government’s Test and Trace service could run until 2025, consulting contracts suggest’
    - One of four new deals worth up to £111m indicate foreign travel rules may also be in force for years

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/test-and-trace-2025-covid-b1974905.html?amp

Covid testing for travel purposes could be with us for decades. The security rules restricting the carriage of liquids on aircraft, for example, were introduced fifteen years ago and there's still no sign of them being repealed.

God alone knows how many Covid variant panics we're going to have to go through before the authorities stop getting the jitters over them.
    edited December 2021
    jonny83 said:

Those headlines could be a good thing, help drive for the booster programme. Looks like it might be working already as today across the land people were queuing up for hours to get jabbed.
    I don't know about anybody else, but at none of my 3 jabs have they ever told me how long it is until it takes effect. Nor have I ever seen any sort of push from the government.

I always worry slightly people think been jabbed, couple of days, I have my invincibility shield.

Agree with all this. For me it's the sheer range of good markets which is the main reason. Many are still illiquid (though they aren't as dry as they look, bets placed on the app don't show up in the volume) but they are still worth keeping an eye on. On North Shropshire they have 8 or 9 markets many of which don't exist anywhere else. It's a good thing.
    edited December 2021
    pigeon said:

Covid testing for travel purposes could be with us for decades. The security rules restricting the carriage of liquids on aircraft, for example, were introduced fifteen years ago and there's still no sign of them being repealed.

God alone knows how many Covid variant panics we're going to have to go through before the authorities stop getting the jitters over them.
    I suppose the only hope in this case is that COVID testing is such a deterrent to travel the industry will lobby so hard to get rid. Not taking liquids is stupid (as experts have shown they can still easily make a bomb) and a pain, but it isn't anywhere near as problematic as COVID testing.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    Gammon on Christmas Day?

Yes, there's always the embarrassing uncle pontificating at the dinner table.

Actually, that sounds like me!

Good night all.
    edited December 2021
    I have just read Dr Coetzee‘s article in tomorrow’s Mail. It’s about as emphatic as it is possible to be. Of course, some people will lament it being in the Mail (I would have preferred that she had chosen the Times) but that’s really immaterial. She has put her name to it, it wouldn’t matter if it was in the Daily Star.

Why on Earth would she stake her entire reputation on this unless she was very confident? What has she possibly got to gain? She might still be wrong, but it seems ludicrous that she is being ignored!

(Edit: Times is paywalled, hence Mail I guess, apologies)
    Apparently the first Omicron case has been detected in China, and there are almost bound to be others. So, we'll soon have some indication as to whether lockdowns are sufficient to counter its transmissibility advantage.

If the Chinese struggle to contain the variant, Western democracies won't stand a chance.

No. But since Shadsy moved there from Ladbrokes they have the best range of political bets by a long way.
    Thank you. Yes, LostPassword has me convinced.
    edited December 2021
    Labour are parking their tanks on the Lib Dem's lawn. Going after their bar charts.

(Btw, Labour can make a fortune betting if they think they will come 2nd.)

• pigeon said:

Apparently the first Omicron case has been detected in China, and there are almost bound to be others. So, we'll soon have some indication as to whether lockdowns are sufficient to counter its transmissibility advantage.

If the Chinese struggle to contain the variant, Western democracies won't stand a chance.

Be interesting to see how their vaccines get on (well we will never really know). There is some suggestion the one that is based on the more than just the spike protein might continue to work.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Quincel said:

Labour are parking their tanks on the Lib Dem's lawn. Going after their bar charts.

Labour are going to look stupid as anything if the LibDems lose by 1%.
    jonny83 said:

Only if you think dreaming up scary numbers about public health to generate behaviour change “could be a good thing”. I’m far from certain I do.

(And yes, I have had my booster, last week. Everyone should get it)

pigeon said:

I suppose the only hope in this case is that COVID testing is such a deterrent to travel the industry will lobby so hard to get rid. Not taking liquids is stupid (as experts have shown they can still easily make a bomb) and a pain, but it isn't anywhere near as problematic as COVID testing.
    In the long run it'll be a manageable but pretty pointless nuisance, so perhaps it will be gone in years rather than decades? But nobody's letting go of it in the shorter term, and you'd have to be quite desperate to go abroad whilst widespread Covid testing and self-isolation requirements are in place. The risks of getting caught out by a positive test whilst travelling and having to isolate at your destination for a fortnight, and/or of the scary new Dildo variant magically appearing in the country that you're visiting, and the UK Government therefore forcing you to do a fortnight of hotel quarantine when you get back home, is simply too great.

pigeon said:

I never understood the problem with liquids. Why on Earth do you need them with you in the hold? Stick them all in your checked bag, if you really need to take them. Why anyone goes to that ludicrous faff of decanting stuff is beyond me. Pretty much every hotel on Earth supplies shampoo.
    I had 200,000 cases in that thread for peak covid a while back. And today Javid confirmed it in the Commons. I'm going to claim the win :D
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

I have just read Dr Coetzee‘s article in tomorrow’s Mail. It’s about as emphatic as it is possible to be. Of course, some people will lament it being in the Mail (I would have preferred that she had chosen the Times) but that’s really immaterial. She has put her name to it, it wouldn’t matter if it was in the Daily Star.

Why on Earth would she stake her entire reputation on this unless she was very confident? What has she possibly got to gain? She might still be wrong, but it seems ludicrous that she is being ignored!

Throughout this pandemic some countries have been hit a lot harder than others by Covid and in some instances we don't know why that is. This could be the case with Omicron and the affect it has in the UK.

Better in my view to be cautious than not do enough.
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

In the long run it'll be a manageable but pretty pointless nuisance, so perhaps it will be gone in years rather than decades? But nobody's letting go of it in the shorter term, and you'd have to be quite desperate to go abroad whilst widespread Covid testing and self-isolation requirements are in place. The risks of getting caught out by a positive test whilst travelling and having to isolate at your destination for a fortnight, and/or of the scary new Dildo variant magically appearing in the country that you're visiting, and the UK Government therefore forcing you to do a fortnight of hotel quarantine when you get back home, is simply too great.
    I agree. No further than the IoW for me until the autumn. It is simply too much hassle and uncertainty.
    edited December 2021

Quincel said:

Nah! They’ll pish themselves laughing.

Irrelevant minor party proven to still be irrelevant minor party.
    Personal triumph for Boris!
    Tories keep Boris.
    Result!!

Starmer might have stopped chuckling by the time the sherry is poured.
  • pigeon said:

I never understood the problem with liquids. Why on Earth do you need them with you in the hold? Stick them all in your checked bag, if you really need to take them. Why anyone goes to that ludicrous faff of decanting stuff is beyond me. Pretty much every hotel on Earth supplies shampoo.
    Even today you always see one idiot rock up with some massive bottle of shampoo or something and then looks shocked when they get an ear full.
    Pulpstar said:

I had 200,000 cases in that thread for peak covid a while back. And today Javid confirmed it in the Commons. I'm going to claim the win :D

Down to 195,600 by tomorrow 😂

pigeon said:

Even today you always see one idiot rock up with some massive bottle of shampoo or something and then looks shocked when they get an ear full.
    Yup, holding up the whole queue usually, wasting valuable pub/oyster bar time for everyone else. Last time I flew to the states, I didn’t even take a bag with me onto the plane. I stuck a reading book in my big coat pocket and that was all I took. Everything I possibly needed (beer mostly) I could get for free mid air from BA.
    Quincel said:

I reckon Lab on between 10 and 15%. They have a pretty resilient, albeit small, vote in this constituency.
    jonny83 said:

Throughout this pandemic some countries have been hit a lot harder than others by Covid and in some instances we don't know why that is. This could be the case with Omicron and the affect it has in the UK.

Better in my view to be cautious than not do enough.
    Sure, and that’s a fair enough viewpoint. Nevertheless, I think it’s slightly pompous of us to seemingly ignore this lady. Why aren’t she and her colleagues being consulted widely by our government?
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I am so bored with Covid.

Really.

I need to think what sort of starter to have for Xmas lunch. Do people have starters with turkey?

I normally have ravioli in brodo (a clear and delicious broth). It somehow does not feel right with turkey. Perhaps I could still persuade Husband to ditch the turkey - or give it away - and we can have a lovely beef joint instead.

Anyway we are now eating lemons from our lemon tree. So there is a small touch of the Mediterranean in the Lakes, as promised.

We have a rib of beef joint ordered from the butchers. Mrs P's 2020 vintage Christmas pudding to follow - yum-yum! No starter - we find it too much for a Christmas dinner.

We have a lemon on our tree that looks ripe too - our first - how do you tell when they are ready to pick?
    Hold it gently and twist slightly. Don't pull. If it comes off easily it's ripe.

Thanks - will check the lemon tomorrow morning.

The tree has been moved under glass with a small frost protection heater so we're hoping it will survive the winter ok. As you can tell, it's our first year with it - birthday present for Mrs P, so we'd hate to lose it.
    I have moved mine into the hall. It gets plenty of light. I don't do anything special re heat as big changes in temperature can stress out plants. Water when dry and mist occasionally. Only moved the citrus inside a week or so ago. Fingers crossed.
    Lost count of the number of citrus and other Mediterranean plants we’ve murdered in our “orangerie”. They thrive outdoors in the long, hot Swedish summers, but they dry out terribly indoors during the long winters. Not aided by the high indoor temperature that is standard in all Scandinavian buildings.

Over the years I’ve got better at winter watering, but the fig only just scraped through last winter.
  • WHITEHALL officials have drawn up plans to restrict numbers in pubs and restaurants and even close them down in the coming weeks. There are growing fears of further resections after Christmas as Omicron is expected to peak in January, with New Year parties in grave doubt.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17031393/pubs-restaurants-closed-entry-limits-omicron/
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I agree. No further than the IoW for me until the autumn. It is simply too much hassle and uncertainty.
    Have the re-entry rules fundamentally changed? I went to the Balearics recently and it was absolutely fine, remarkably easy in fact.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083

Quincel said:

Labour will look stupid, coming third, but some of them at least would rather the Tories won, keeping the clown in place for the next fiasco, and the one after that. Never mind the national interest.

That Labour will try and scotch the LibDem campaign is why I’d steer clear of betting they’ll get below 5%. If Labour does fall that low, the LDs have won it.
  • Foxy said:

Quincel said:

I reckon Lab on between 10 and 15%. They have a pretty resilient, albeit small, vote in this constituency.
    Just as well Mike got that covering bet in…
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I disagree. As people see these travel restrictions lasting looooooong into the future, they will start to think Fuck it, and take the risk. The desire to travel, explore, escape is too strong, especially in the young

Unless climate change makes air tickets prohibitively and absurdly pricey, of course
  • pigeon said:

What's a checked bag?

Mind you I do steal the little bottles for future emergency use I stayed in a pension in Seville this year that didn't supply shampoo etc.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

I disagree. As people see these travel restrictions lasting looooooong into the future, they will start to think Fuck it, and take the risk. The desire to travel, explore, escape is too strong, especially in the young

Unless climate change makes air tickets prohibitively and absurdly pricey, of course
    Keep the riff raff out...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

pigeon said:

What's a checked bag?

Mind you I do steal the little bottles for future emergency use I stayed in a pension in Seville this year that didn't supply shampoo etc.
    The thing that goes in the hold.
  • WHITEHALL officials have drawn up plans to restrict numbers in pubs and restaurants and even close them down in the coming weeks. There are growing fears of further resections after Christmas as Omicron is expected to peak in January, with New Year parties in grave doubt.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/health/17031393/pubs-restaurants-closed-entry-limits-omicron/

Boris does too little, too late, again.
  • RobD said:

pigeon said:

What's a checked bag?

The thing that goes in the hold.
    I normally travel with a 40l carry-on. Bought a new one from Osprey during lockdown, it's great.
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

You’re so wild and crazy. A real rebel. Everyone looks up to you.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Really.

I need to think what sort of starter to have for Xmas lunch. Do people have starters with turkey?

I normally have ravioli in brodo (a clear and delicious broth). It somehow does not feel right with turkey. Perhaps I could still persuade Husband to ditch the turkey - or give it away - and we can have a lovely beef joint instead.

Anyway we are now eating lemons from our lemon tree. So there is a small touch of the Mediterranean in the Lakes, as promised.

We have a rib of beef joint ordered from the butchers. Mrs P's 2020 vintage Christmas pudding to follow - yum-yum! No starter - we find it too much for a Christmas dinner.

We have a lemon on our tree that looks ripe too - our first - how do you tell when they are ready to pick?
    Hold it gently and twist slightly. Don't pull. If it comes off easily it's ripe.

The tree has been moved under glass with a small frost protection heater so we're hoping it will survive the winter ok. As you can tell, it's our first year with it - birthday present for Mrs P, so we'd hate to lose it.
    I have moved mine into the hall. It gets plenty of light. I don't do anything special re heat as big changes in temperature can stress out plants. Water when dry and mist occasionally. Only moved the citrus inside a week or so ago. Fingers crossed.
    Lost count of the number of citrus and other Mediterranean plants we’ve murdered in our “orangerie”. They thrive outdoors in the long, hot Swedish summers, but they dry out terribly indoors during the long winters. Not aided by the high indoor temperature that is standard in all Scandinavian buildings.

Over the years I’ve got better at winter watering, but the fig only just scraped through last winter.
    Are long, hot summers a feature of the Swedish climate? No, not on any reasonable comparison. It’s more likely to be long daylight hours rather than the air temperature that keeps your oranges happy!
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784
    Central London* certainly in the switchover phase to Omicron becoming the dominant form in the next few days.

Has been bobbling at a quite high 20-30% growth for a while but that is increasing by the day now:

WoW growth since 1/12

1/12 (1/12 Vs 24/11 data) +37%
    2/12 +30%
    3/12 +25%
    4/12 +37%
    5/12 +37%
    6/12 +25%
    7/12 +45%
    8/12 +55%
    9/12 at least 69% (data incomplete)
    10/12 at least 91%
    11/12 at least 88% (data rather more incomplete)

This isn't unique growth, although rare for such a large population sample in 2021. Be interesting to see how high it goes before it settles to a pure Omicron growth figure and then starts to ease down a little.

* numbers based on the 9 boroughs in zone 1 rather than Inner London.

Boris does too little, too late, again.
    That sound like too much, too soon to me
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Keep the riff raff out...
    Indeed. Proper wealthy people would absolutely love the cost of air travel to go through the roof. Ditto road pricing and congestion charges. Pricing out the little people would be a dream come true.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,248

WHITEHALL officials have drawn up plans to restrict numbers in pubs and restaurants and even close them down in the coming weeks. There are growing fears of further resections after Christmas as Omicron is expected to peak in January, with New Year parties in grave doubt.

That’s proper lockdown. Gosh. Who could have predicted THAT??
    Leon said:

WHITEHALL officials have drawn up plans to restrict numbers in pubs and restaurants and even close them down in the coming weeks. There are growing fears of further resections after Christmas as Omicron is expected to peak in January, with New Year parties in grave doubt.

A single quote story in the Sun. Do you think the pubs will be shut over Christmas?
  • Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Really.

Are long, hot summers a feature of the Swedish climate? No, not on any reasonable comparison. It’s more likely to be long daylight hours rather than the air temperature that keeps your oranges happy!
    Oh yes, it gets pretty sticky. We have several weeks with peak temperatures over 30 and so-called “tropical nights” where the nighttime temperature stays above 20, sometimes well over 20. Not much fun to be honest.

But the swimming! God I love it! That’s the one big thing I’d miss if I move home to Scotland.
    Those of a nervous disposition (much of PB) should avoid looking at the weather models, which are projecting a cold, possibly snowy, interlude over the festive season. Omicron the Icy etc etc.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Pro_Rata said:

Central London* certainly in the switchover phase to Omicron becoming the dominant form in the next few days.

Has been bobbling at a quite high 20-30% growth for a while but that is increasing by the day now:

WoW growth since 1/12

1/12 (1/12 Vs 24/11 data) +37%
    2/12 +30%
    3/12 +25%
    4/12 +37%
    5/12 +37%
    6/12 +25%
    7/12 +45%
    8/12 +55%
    9/12 at least 69% (data incomplete)
    10/12 at least 91%
    11/12 at least 88% (data rather more incomplete)

This isn't unique growth, although rare for such a large population sample in 2021. Be interesting to see how high it goes before it settles to a pure Omicron growth figure and then starts to ease down a little.

* numbers based on the 9 boroughs in zone 1 rather than Inner London.

It could be repeated across the country so definitely one to keep an eye on over the next three or four days. Along with any resulting rise in hospital admissions in 7-10 days. London also has lower vaccination and booster rates than the rest of the country so it may not be as bad elsewhere.
  • Leon said:

A re-post for Sean, in case you missed it earlier this evening:

Breaking, from press conference in Oslo:

Norway is to enforce a total ban on the sale of alcohol in pubs, bars and restaurants for at least the next 4 weeks.

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Really.

Oh yes, it gets pretty sticky. We have several weeks with peak temperatures over 30 and so-called “tropical nights” where the nighttime temperature stays above 20, sometimes well over 20. Not much fun to be honest.

But the swimming! God I love it! That’s the one big thing I’d miss if I move home to Scotland.
    Sure, but rarely prolonged, similar to southern England. I think it’s probably the elongated sunshine hours you get, rather than the temperature mean that your oranges like!

Who are these "Whitehall officials" and why should they control whether or not the Dog & Duck in Mansfield stays open ?
    Pulpstar said:

Who are these "Whitehall officials" and why should they control whether or not the Dog & Duck in Mansfield stays open ?
    I'm guessing they were told/asked to draw up contingency plans so they are available to the minister if needed.

Leon said:

Norway is to enforce a total ban on the sale of alcohol in pubs, bars and restaurants for at least the next 4 weeks.
    Wait.
    They're banning alcohol in pubs and bars, but allowing them to stay open?
    Why exactly?
    Pulpstar said:

That would be the government.
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm guessing they were told/asked to draw up contingency plans so they are available to the minister if needed.
    I expect they never believed they would hold such power.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Wait.
    They're banning alcohol in pubs and bars, but allowing them to stay open?
    Why exactly?
    We had those idiotic pints with chips substantial meal rules. Same as that I guess.
    edited December 2021

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Really.

Sure, but rarely prolonged, similar to southern England. I think it’s probably the elongated sunshine hours you get, rather than the temperature mean that your oranges like!
    Depends on what you mean by “prolonged”. Our springs and autumns are pretty much non-existent some years, so we just flip over from winter to summer and back again. I’d call a five month summer pretty “prolonged”. Obviously not 30+ the whole time, but still lovely and warm and dry, mostly. Our Mediterranean plants love it, as long as they’re watered.

(Admittedly, we do have a bit of a microclimate thing going on in our garden, due to a wee wooded hill giving us shelter.)
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Yes, it's a challenge for me as many longstanding friends live in other countries and I used to travel on a SeanT scale - a few years ago I was in 25 countries in 3 years (mostly for work). I'd love to visit my friends again or try some new places. What's stopping me is not so much well-defined hassle - test 1 here, test 2 there, do this, don't do that - as the potential for sudden unpredictable hassle - no flights at all, or everyone in quarantine for 2 weeks. If the disease becomes endemic and the regulations stabilise I'll travel again, but not at the moment.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited December 2021
    Quincel said:

Great leaflet for the Tories from Labour there, could almost have been written by CCHQ.

If the Tories win by less than 5% over the LDs and that leaflet gets Labour 15% not 10% they will know who to thank
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I expect they never believed they would hold such power.
    I'm not sure that's what it is. At the end of the day the minister decides.
This discussion has been closed.