Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How much of the GRN vote will LAB get at the election itself? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

One thing about anosmia and Covid.

At Christmas, I got really ill. Aches, fever, cough, total loss of smell, the works. Covid, right? Well, no. This was 8 years ago.
    It took about a week to get my sense back and another week or two til I was properly well again.

There are other illnesses out there that can do this to you. I know there are other coronaviruses out there, and I don't know whether this is a common feature of coronviruses or what. But if you get Covid symptoms and repeated negative tests, it's not necessarily bad tests.

Chicken & potato soup, by the way. Not the creamy stuff, but the type with great chunks of potato and chicken floating around. That's what saw me through.

Sounds pretty close to broth to me. Nice one
    Yeah, probably. All sorts of other stuff in there too. I don't know, I was really out of it and someone was making it for me. I slept a lot for a week or so.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Interesting to see Corbyn being mentioned by a few on here in respect of breaking lockdown rules.

I take it from this sign of desperation that there's no dirt on Starmer breaking lockdown rules, which would possibly be more relevant.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14826418/keir-starmer-beer-indoor-gathering/
    Err, that link shows that it was a work event, on the campaign trail during a break in the event.

Good to see you showing that he is a gregarious beer loving bloke though. You are usually a bit more down on him.
    I reckon there are a few pics of him with a beer, he looks like he loves them.

Maybe the Tories will just say the Downing St bash was a beer after work too, what’s the difference?
    Well, it was against guidance in December 2020...

Hi Mick, although there are exemptions for work purposes, you must not have a work Christmas lunch or party, where that is a primarily social activity and is not otherwise permitted by the rules in your tier. You can find more information here: https://t.co/OffEeTzYh3 Thanks
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

HYUFD said:

glw said:

I wonder if what Boris really did at Christmas 2020 will come to light? Remember that he was repeatedly asked about what he was planning at the time, if somone knows he lied again that might be the final nail. It would certainly be what I'd want to save for last if I was a journalist.

Provided Boris was not at this party he will get away with it. However he must ensure no more lockdowns of any description, no restrictions on Christmas and no restrictions on this year's Christmas parties at all.

He must be the PM of freedom from further restrictions now most of us are vaccinated. That is the way to get around it, if he becomes that he can be the PM of liberty and Starmer the PM of more authoritarian lockdowns. Hence no hypocrisy
    Well, he's certainly going to struggle to persuade Britain to cancel all our xmas plans now.

But tbh Chris Whitty is already saying that UK public will just stick two fingers up to any xmas 'no family' lockdown.

January is another matter.
    Lockdown looks nailed on for January with Omicron rampant so unpleasantness nailed on all round 😡😡😡
    You’ve been saying that for the past six months!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

I wonder if what Boris really did at Christmas 2020 will come to light? Remember that he was repeatedly asked about what he was planning at the time, if somone knows he lied again that might be the final nail. It would certainly be what I'd want to save for last if I was a journalist.

Provided Boris was not at this party he will get away with it. However he must ensure no more lockdowns of any description, no restrictions on Christmas and no restrictions on this year's Christmas parties at all.

He must be the PM of freedom from further restrictions now most of us are vaccinated. That is the way to get around it, if he becomes that he can be the PM of liberty and Starmer the PM of more authorities lockdowns. Hence no hypocrisy
    A ludicrous defence.
    No that is the way forward. Boris must be the PM for Adam Brooks and Lawrence Fox, the PM who will keep the restaurants and pubs and shops and churches and nightclubs open no matter what throughout Christmas and the winter period. The PM who will keep pupils at school and not impose mandatory wfh.

He must be the PM of freedom and the PM who will keep us open now for evermore. Not the antivax extreme PM but the pro vax, pro booster and pro freedom and liberty PM!
    He is in very clear danger of not being PM after these recent events

I expect there are many conservative mps writing letters ready to post if North Shropshire falls
    The Conservatives were still ahead in 1 poll today. The Tory hold in Old Bexley and Sidcup means he can brush off North Shropshire whatever happens.

Provided he was not present at this Christmas party last year he will survive himself. He will probably have to sack Allegra though
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Stepping back a moment, I don't think Boris implodes right here. I think there are more rumblings of discontent before the letters go in in sufficient weight - the idea of Tories being brutal with leaders is a little overbaked, there is more poll abrasion to be had but it'll be slower than anyone can quite fathom.

But, I never expected the Ratnering of Boris to reach quite this pace, and a few more months of this and I think he'll be on the brink.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

I find it quite interesting that labour's and others full on attack aimed at Boris would if they succeed and he goes, not only change the dynamic for GE24, but also not in as a good way for them as they may think

Straws clutching. You’ll need a new leader not tarnished by being in this cabinet. Hunt is probably your best choice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

He must be the PM of freedom from further restrictions now most of us are vaccinated. That is the way to get around it, if he becomes that he can be the PM of liberty and Starmer the PM of more authoritarian lockdowns. Hence no hypocrisy
    You are more cuckoo than a Swiss clock emporium.
  • Options
    I would just like to say it is total coincidence that I re-emerged from hiatus when this Christmas party story was leaked and I will be leaving shortly.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    The thing is, there are millions who would love a WFH edict.

So it ain't a scare story.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Putin will invade Ukraine tomorrow to take the heat off Boris.
  • Options
    Yes. My employer announced a return to full WFH yesterday. (We were hitherto going in three days a week.)
  • Options

If you look upwards you can just about make out a massive dead cat hurtling down towards us.

I have no detail whatsoever on the specifics of this particular dead cat but I am pretty certain it's been prepared, primed, and is going to land with a big thump very soon; the survival of the PM depends on it.

I actually think @HYUFD could be right here, and the Bozza gambit will be to just open up and sod any restrictions. As nobody will ever listen to him on lockdown ever again, lockdowns are now pointless and, by opening up, he mitigates (but does not remove) the hypocrisy tag.

Dunno, but HY *might* be on to something.

Just musing really. Dunno.
    Yes, but it assumes that Covid adjusts itself to suit Boris's career. Not a given.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Story about a middle class consumers at a wake.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468344220289228804

Stones at secret party for Charlie.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ah, here we go. The desperate to try and change the discussion post is in:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    24s
    TELEGRAPH: Plans for Christmas work from home order #TomorrowsPapersToday

That's not a dead cat, that's just an inevitable corollary of OMICRON THE IMPLACABLE

It looks like this variant *might* be mild, God willing it is so. Nonetheless it also looks - and with much more certainty - that it is wildly infectious. It is so infectious it implies tens of thousands of cases a day, in the UK, and similar worldwide.

And even if it is mild, that still means enough people will get sick they need a hospital bed, and that means a crumbling NHS, and that means - I wish it weren't so - another lockdown. I pray I am wrong
    Just because you say the cat is actually alive and indeed somewhat feisty doesn't mean it was not thrown on the table to divert our attention from Allegra's wild night of twister and snowballs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

He must be the PM of freedom from further restrictions now most of us are vaccinated. That is the way to get around it, if he becomes that he can be the PM of liberty and Starmer the PM of more authorities lockdowns. Hence no hypocrisy
    A ludicrous defence.
    No that is the way forward. Boris must be the PM for Adam Brooks and Lawrence Fox, the PM who will keep the restaurants and pubs and shops and churches and nightclubs open no matter what throughout Christmas and the winter period. The PM who will keep pupils at school and not impose mandatory wfh.

He must be the PM of freedom and the PM who will keep us open now for evermore. Not the antivax extreme PM but the pro vax, pro booster and pro freedom and liberty PM!

I expect there are many conservative mps writing letters ready to post if North Shropshire falls
    The Conservatives were still ahead in 1 poll today. The Tory hols in Old Bexley and Sidcup means he can brush off North Shropshire whatever happens.

Provided he was not present at this Christmas party last year he will survive himself. He will probably have to sack Allegra though
    And 3 behind in another

Wake up and smell the coffee, Boris has never been in more danger of losing his premiership

• Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Well, he's certainly going to struggle to persuade Britain to cancel all our xmas plans now.

But tbh Chris Whitty is already saying that UK public will just stick two fingers up to any xmas 'no family' lockdown.

Lockdown looks nailed on for January with Omicron rampant so unpleasantness nailed on all round 😡😡😡
    Unfortunately it looks like I am heading to be right.

If by any unlikely chance I am wrong I shall be very pleased. 👍
  • Options

Yes. My employer announced a return to full WFH yesterday. (We were hitherto going in three days a week.)
    We’re back in ‘Orange’ work at home status. Christmas drinks cancelled. Humbug.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708

If you look upwards you can just about make out a massive dead cat hurtling down towards us.

I have no detail whatsoever on the specifics of this particular dead cat but I am pretty certain it's been prepared, primed, and is going to land with a big thump very soon; the survival of the PM depends on it.

I actually think @HYUFD could be right here, and the Bozza gambit will be to just open up and sod any restrictions. As nobody will ever listen to him on lockdown ever again, lockdowns are now pointless and, by opening up, he mitigates (but does not remove) the hypocrisy tag.

I think omicron might put paid to that gambit tbh.
  • Options

I hope not. I'm relying on going into the office up to Xmas Eve so I don't have to pay for heating.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    24s

Minor stuff. Many of not most offices down here close over Christmas anyway.
  • Options
    Tories will lose in 2024
  • Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

You are completely and utterly wrong. Again.

No lockdowns, not now, not ever again. They are never, ever to be repeated.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,043
    GUARDIAN: PM accused of lying after No10 team filmed joking about party #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468345425891667971/photo/1
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I find it quite interesting that labour's and others full on attack aimed at Boris would if they succeed and he goes, not only change the dynamic for GE24, but also not in as a good way for them as they may think

Straws clutching. You’ll need a new leader not tarnished by being in this cabinet. Hunt is probably your best choice.
    I do not need to clutch at straws, a new leader and cabinet would be very interesting
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Is it at all possible that the ‘scoop’ video is Stratton having fun? And thus not actually a true account? It wasn’t an actual briefing was it? Or am I just naive?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    edited December 2021
    LDs at 2.46 on BF for N Shropshire.

Now value imho.
  • Options

Now value imho.

Don't you mean Labour? o:)
  • Options
    Telegraph

Police reviewing the video tonight
  • Options

I hope not. I'm relying on going into the office up to Xmas Eve so I don't have to pay for heating.
    Refreshingly honest! :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    edited December 2021

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Sorry my friend, but this reads as being utterly ludicrous and very much in denial.

Boris Johnsons government could well be imploding before our eyes.
    I'm boiling with anger tonight. How many times do these people have to be caught breaking all the rules they spend hours and hours formulating for us little people?

Hope that MPs email boxes are breaking under the strain yet again.
    I'm one of the few PB'ers that quite likes Boris. He makes me smile. If you can make GIN smile you're half way there... but unfortunately he and his government got far to big for their boots with the 80 seat majority and then all the lockdown rules that they themselves didn't stick to...

If this is the end he has no else to blame but himself.
  • Options

Now value imho.

Massive value. Though Labour should be favourites instead, but they're clearly not.

I'd be gobsmacked if the Tories hold the seat. Governments don't win by-elections, oppositions do.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

A ludicrous defence.

Actually, watching the mess trying to sweep this story under the carpet now revealed in all its hapless glory on Sky 10 news, it’s a sober sad feeling it’s left me with. 😔

And on this somber note I’m going to bed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I do not need to clutch at straws, a new leader and cabinet would be very interesting
    Who was at the party? Who knew about it and said nothing? Who didn’t resign tomorrow?

The current cabinet are tarnished.
  • Options

Tories will lose in 2024

Why? Is Starmer about to resign so we can get a serious Leader of the Opposition?
  • Options
    Sir Roger Gale MP
    @SirRogerGale

The No.10 party has all the hallmarks of another ‘Barnard Castle’ moment. No.10 clearly has some serious questions to answer. Fast.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    Pro_Rata said:

Stepping back a moment, I don't think Boris implodes right here. I think there are more rumblings of discontent before the letters go in in sufficient weight - the idea of Tories being brutal with leaders is a little overbaked, there is more poll abrasion to be had but it'll be slower than anyone can quite fathom.

But, I never expected the Ratnering of Boris to reach quite this pace, and a few more months of this and I think he'll be on the brink.

The point of Ratnering is that while it damaged Gerald, it Ratnered the whole brand, not just the individual.
  • Options

Is it at all possible that the ‘scoop’ video is Stratton having fun? And thus not actually a true account? It wasn’t an actual briefing was it? Or am I just naive?

The naivety of clearly intelligent posters about the establishment is quite confusing to a deep cynic such as myself.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

Scott_xP said:

If omicron requires another lockdown, Boris Johnson is no longer in a position to demand it.
    https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1468317198963855360

Fair. Then again, is anybody else?

The prospect of relief through vaccination was the only thing that made that massive lockdown that started about a year ago bearable. If there's another one, the only conclusion is that lockdowns will go on in cycles forever. At which point, why bother to comply? Far better to roll the dice than to live like that.
    Sort of relevant but mask compliance on the train today was low - about 50%. I get the feeling that people don't take the threat seriously. Perhaps they are resigned to taking their chances with whatever new Covid strain there is.

If there is a virus that kills children rather than the old / unvaccinated, then maybe people would look at the situation differently.
    If hospitalisations and deaths don’t increase, even with a massive increase in cases (i.e. Omnicron being milder than delta), restrictions won’t be needed. If they increase massively, we’re all buggered, so why bother?
  • Options

Regardless of the impact on Labour's GE24 prospects, the twin fiascos of the Christmas party that wasn't but was, and Johnsson's dogs before people Afghan evacuation must be called out - attacked if you will.

You would soon be disparaging any Opposition that did otherwise.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

A ludicrous defence.

The Conservatives were still ahead in 1 poll today. The Tory hols in Old Bexley and Sidcup means he can brush off North Shropshire whatever happens.

And 3 behind in another

Wake up and smell the coffee, Boris has never been in more danger of losing his premiership

What staggers me is these people are supposed to be political animals of the highest level of cunning. Did no one in No 10 as they cleared their desks in order to make room for the booze, the secret santa box and the nibbles say 'hold on - what if the public find out?'
  • Options

Regardless of the impact on Labour's GE24 prospects, the twin fiascos of the Christmas party that wasn't but was, and Johnsson's dogs before people Afghan evacuation must be called out - attacked if you will.

Absolutely. Tory hypocrisy as usual
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,647
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

If it happened how is there no hypocrisy?

Last year we picked up our son and his girlfriend from Cambridge to get home to the announcement. We swapped presents, put some food together for them and drove them straight home. We saw them for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

I think omicron might put paid to that gambit tbh.
    Not really, Omnicron may be contagious but for the vaccinated the evidence is it actually has lower risk of hospitalisation and death even than Delta.

Therefore Boris must stand firm, no more lockdowns ever and if people want to party this Christmas and they are double vaccinated, then party!!!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668

EXCLUSIVE: Former Education Secretary Gavin Williamson broke Covid rules by holding a festive party at work in the run up to last Christmas.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1468326524638142472

He managed to organise a party ?
  • Options

Of course
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987

Boris is the best vote winner you have.
    A shoddy offer without the fun-loving affable salesman.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

A ludicrous defence.

And 3 behind in another

What staggers me is these people are supposed to be political animals of the highest level of cunning. Did no one in No 10 as they cleared their desks in order to make room for the booze, the secret santa box and the nibbles say 'hold on - what if the public find out?'
    Fair question
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Cookie said:

Just as an observation, this is a very similar story to that which did for Matt Hancock - I.e. having a nice time while specifically denying the opportunity for that specific nice time to the rest of us.
    And yes, both Hancock and Boris could probably, technically, say what they were doing was within the rules. And in neither case would it cut much ice.

Hancock resigned because he'd become a laughing stock. Johnson will also resign if same happens to him. Up to now he's been able to stay on the right side of the joke with most of those who voted for him in the GE. But if that changes he's gone.
  • Options

As I keep saying this is a matter of right and wrong, not partisan ramping.
  • Options
    Every Tory government gets done for sleaze and lies eventually
  • Options
    Dominic Raab will be framing this front page.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1468347192436051979
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

The point of Ratnering is that while it damaged Gerald, it Ratnered the whole brand, not just the individual.
    Yes, just look at what became of the company. It is only *checks notes* the world's largest retailer of diamond jewellery.

While Ratners is a well known cautionary tale, it is actually remarkable just how incredibly successful the company has been since rebranding itself the Signet Group and continuing to trade.
  • Options

Yes, but it assumes that Covid adjusts itself to suit Boris's career. Not a given.
    Oh indeed. But it’s arguably the only road left to him now.
  • Options

Every Tory government gets done for sleaze, sex and lies eventually
  • Options

If you only believe in winning it’s inevitable.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

If it happened how is there no hypocrisy?

Last year we picked up our son and his girlfriend from Cambridge to get home to the announcement. We swapped presents, put some food together for them and drove them straight home. We saw them for a couple of hours.
    Nearly every family in UK has a similar or related story. Many of them utterly heartbreaking e.g. the Queen at the funeral.

Frankly maybe Angela Rayner is right and these people at No 10 and in high echelons of Tories are indeed scum.

Perhaps more importantly they let the country down and they are not patriotic.

Starmer should summon Blitz spirit and say we were all in this and you lot weren't.
  • Options

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    24s

That's not a dead cat, that's just an inevitable corollary of OMICRON THE IMPLACABLE

It looks like this variant *might* be mild, God willing it is so. Nonetheless it also looks - and with much more certainty - that it is wildly infectious. It is so infectious it implies tens of thousands of cases a day, in the UK, and similar worldwide.

And even if it is mild, that still means enough people will get sick they need a hospital bed, and that means a crumbling NHS, and that means - I wish it weren't so - another lockdown. I pray I am wrong
    Just because you say the cat is actually alive and indeed somewhat feisty doesn't mean it was not thrown on the table to divert our attention from Allegra's wild night of twister and snowballs.
    I hope that is snowballs in the drinks sense.
    Though not much would surprise.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Just crunch the numbers. We are already plateauing on ~40-50k cases a day. Double or triple that with Omicron?

it is not sustainable, that means 1000s going into hospital every day, in the middle of winter, and that is presuming Omicron IS milder. If it is as bad as delta (and breaks through immunity) lockdown as we know it might not even be enough. What happens then? Fuck knows
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm curious as to the role of Allegra Stratton. I rated her highly as a presenter on Newsnight etc., and would never have guessed her politics. I was surprised when she took on the role for BJ, but less so when I found out she was married to the Spectator editor.

Nevertheless, I don't think she would be comfortable telling lies on behalf of the government, and I suspect that's why she's been sidelined. The ITV video supports this - I think she's laughing at the absurdity of it all, rather than because she things breaking the rules is funny. I doubt she leaked the footage herself, but I certainly think she knows exactly what's going on.

Allegra used to work for ITV as well and the video was leaked to ITV...

But I still think Cummings prints are all over this.
    You could well be right. But it just feels as if there's a bit of a pincer movement among a variety of Tory folk, both parliamentary and non-parliamentary, who have had enough of Boris and are plotting his demise. Stratton may be one of them; she's very, very bright, and I can't imagine she's got much time for him.
    If she were so very very bright she wouldn't have gone anywhere near Boris. She had a reasonable career as a journalist. Now she's just joined the group of women who fell for Boris and were let down by him. I mean, that puts you in rather a large group. You don't have much rarity value, let's face it.
    Well yes, as I said in my original post I was very surprised that she agreed to work for Boris - a bit baffling.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,791

If Starmer misses this open goal tomorrow he should resign and let Reeves, Philipson or Cooper take over.

He should start by pulling a Christmas cracker, putting on the paper crown and declaring “Party? What Party?”
  • Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Monday 3 January. 7pm. Boris special broadcast. Put it in your advance viewing planner now.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I am not a member of the conservative party but I would be amenable to rejoining if Boris was replaced

I have supported Rishi for PM on here for months and there are other candidates including Truss and even Sharma
  • Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

If you are proven wrong in January, you will simply predict a lockdown in February, then March and so on… it’s pretty much your only ‘contribution’ to PB.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,043
  • Options
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

I am not a member of the conservative party but I would be amenable to rejoining if Boris was replaced

I have supported Rishi for PM on here for months and there are other candidates including Truss and even Sharma
    Were they at the party? Did they know and keep quiet. Either way, toast.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    dixiedean said:

Yes, if Johnson crashes and burns I'd make Labour favourites for largest party at the GE.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

A ludicrous defence.

And 3 behind in another

But replacing Boris by Rishi or Liz doesn't help much. They've been loyal to Team Boris. They're continuity; if Boris falls, the only hope is a radical relaunch. A May-to-Johnson change, rather than a Blair-to-Brown.

That means Hunt- it could have meant Saj, but he went back into the Cabinet. And I can't see the Conservative Party being ready to swallow that this side of a General Election defeat or two. Can you?

Boris knew what he was doing when he pushed those who don't bellyfeel Johnsonism to the fringes, or out of the party entirely.

Où est la masse de manœuvre?
    Aucune
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,993

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

Yes, just look at what became of the company. It is only *checks notes* the world's largest retailer of diamond jewellery.

While Ratners is a well known cautionary tale, it is actually remarkable just how incredibly successful the company has been since rebranding itself the Signet Group and continuing to trade.
    The company is, Ratner had to go - and the chain rebranded in a hurry.
  • Options
    Some crucial data

zeynep tufekci
    @zeynep
    ·
    3m
    First lab results on Omicron, from
    @sigallab
    Not great, but not as catastrophic as it could have been. Tested with 2x Pfizer, and shows, yeah, it'll cause a lot of breakthroughs. Those with vaccine *and* infection appeared much more protected: suggests boosters will work well.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1468347730133192708?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Just crunch the numbers. We are already plateauing on ~40-50k cases a day. Double or triple that with Omicron?

it is not sustainable, that means 1000s going into hospital every day, in the middle of winter, and that is presuming Omicron IS milder. If it is as bad as delta (and breaks through immunity) lockdown as we know it might not even be enough. What happens then? Fuck knows
    Who gives a fuck?

Bored of this shit now. If people get sick, they get sick. If people die, they die. Treat people as well as we can and move the fuck on already.

Life is for living not lockdowns. Not now, not ever again. Last year they were to buy time until we have a vaccine but we've had a vaccine now and its been rolled out, what more can we frigging do? If we can't live life normally now, when can we?

I have well and truly had enough. My daughter has had the first three years of her education disrupted because of this bullshit. Her last year of schooling without disruption was the Reception class and her next one may be Year 4 it seems. Enough is efuckingnough.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

No more lockdowns. Ever.

This is ideological now. For the double vaccinated and those who have had their booster the risk of death or even hospitalisation from Omnicron from all the evidence we have is tiny. For the unvaccinated it isn't but they made their choice.

Boris must the the PM of freedom, keeping the churches, shops, pubs, theatres, nightclubs, cinemas, concert halls and arenas and football stadiums open throughout Christmas and winter. He must be the PM of liberty against Starmer lockdowns and authoritarianism
  • Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

How are lockdowns going to be funded? Is @londonpubman expecting a return of the furlough scheme?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

The Dave Collective. May Inc., Boris Group. Sunak PLC.
    Same low quality tat for sale.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

dixiedean said:

I am in a similar position, I could re-join now so that I get a vote on the new leader if Boris goes soon, but I don't think i can bring myself to re-join. under a new leader though I can see myself doing that.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

EXCLUSIVE: Former Education Secretary Gavin Williamson broke Covid rules by holding a festive party at work in the run up to last Christmas.

Worse he accidentally attended it after failing to stop it being held.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Who gives a fuck?

Bored of this shit now. If people get sick, they get sick. If people die, they die. Treat people as well as we can and move the fuck on already.

Life is for living not lockdowns. Not now, not ever again. Last year they were to buy time until we have a vaccine but we've had a vaccine now and its been rolled out, what more can we frigging do? If we can't live life normally now, when can we?

I have well and truly had enough. My daughter has had the first three years of her education disrupted because of this bullshit. Her last year of schooling without disruption was the Reception class and her next one may be Year 4 it seems. Enough is efuckingnough.

What about all the vast numbers of people who have taken 3 jabs, who are waiting on critical health care but are having in cancelled due to the hospitals being overwhelmed ?

Which is happening loads, including to my wife.

I guess you don't care?
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

The company is, Ratner had to go - and the chain rebranded in a hurry.
    Indeed it did, and its remarkable just how successful that was. Thirty years later people still talk about just how Ratner "destroyed" the business when actually it has gone on from strength to strength and is not just one of, but actually the world's largest diamond retailers today.

It took a rebranding, but boy was that rebranding successful. Nobody speaks about that bit of it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

None of whom have a quarter of his appeal.
    Truss and Sharma? Your average voter has no idea who they are.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

No more lockdowns. Ever.

This is ideological now. For the double vaccinated and those who have had their booster the risk of death or even hospitalisation from Omnicron from all the evidence we have is tiny. For the unvacinnated it isn't but they made their choice.

Boris must the the PM of freedom, keeping the churches, shops, pubs, cinemas, concert halls and arenas and football stadiums open throughout Christmas and winter. He must be the PN of liberty against Starmer lockdowns and authoritarianism
    You're as drunk as Sean is every night
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Brutal
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited December 2021
    Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

It was staff at the end of their working day and Boris was not there
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Who gives a fuck?

What about all the vast numbers of people who have taken 3 jabs, who are waiting on critical health care but are having in cancelled due to the hospitals being overwhelmed ?

Which is happening loads, including to my wife.

I guess you don't care?
    Drop the social distancing that is restricting NHS capacity and start treating people.

It is distancing and Covid restrictions that are cutting capacity, not the very few people in beds.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

It will be Sunak if/when Boris goes.

How he does against SKS I have no idea.

The Tories will be able to say, with some justification, that not only have they had two female leaders/PMs before "progressive" Labour they've also had the first non-white leader/PM before Labour which will add an interesting dimension I think.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

No more lockdowns. Ever.

This is ideological now. For the double vaccinated the risk of death or even hospitalisation from Omnicron from all the evidence we have is tiny. For the unvacinnated it isn't but they made their choice.

Boris must the the PM of freedom, keeping the churches, shops, pubs, cinemas, concert halls and arenas and football stadiums open throughout Christmas and winter. He must be the PN of liberty against Starmer lockdowns and authoritarianism

You have lost the plot entirely. You now want to make interventions to fight a pandemic "ideological" in order to defend Boris? How about following the scientists and medics and doing what is right, not doing what will make hard-liners happy.

In your own way you are as mad as any MAGA-hatted Trumper.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

I guess Allegra's career has just totally imploded.

Utterly toxic waste as a PR spokesperson now.

Rather unfair. Politicals is brutal.

She knew who she was selling out to.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If Boris falls because of this. The next leader cannot.

A. Have attended the party
    B. Known about the party and kept quiet.

That almost certainly rules out the cabinet.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

It was a staff at the end of their working day and Boris was not there
    How do you know?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

It was however organised - the secret Santa means it broke the rules.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

glw said:

How are lockdowns going to be funded? Is @londonpubman expecting a return of the furlough scheme?
    Hopefully not. It costs wealthy self-made people like me cos it pushes up inflation. Companies can pay from it out of retained profits and individuals from savings.

I am bored of paying for handouts for other people.
  • Options
    eek said:

Jonathan said:

dixiedean said:

It was however organised - the secret Santa means it broke the rules.
    Since when was Secret Santa against the rules?

I know lots of businesses that had socially distanced Secret Santas last year. There was nothing in the regulations against that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Parties for one were allowed!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Hopefully not. It costs wealthy self-made people like me cos it pushes up inflation. Companies can pay from it out of retained profits and individuals from savings.

I am bored of paying for handouts for other people.
    hahahaha
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Who gives a fuck?

You think I'm not bored? I fucking hate this shit. But the news is bad

"41x DROP IN NEUTRALIZATION—first lab study of #Omicron neutralization is out from
    @sigallab
    . Huge drops in Pfizer vaccine’s neutralization of #Omicron variant—from ~1321 to just ~32. Even Pfizer+infection saw sharp drop. But I’m hopeful for boosters (stronger than infection).Thread"

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1468344299184087045?s=20

If we let it rip we will have crushed hospitals and - it now seems - many breakthrough infections in the elderly, and so on and so forth. Pfizer is outfoxed by Omicron

Almost half of me agrees with you. Fuck it. Life must continue now, even if many die. But the bigger chunk of me sighs with enormous reluctance and says Lockdown Cometh
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

I look forward to the Conservative Party's rebrand. PB must be able to come up with a good few suggestions. How about:

The People's Party* (*the important people like us, not the little people obvs.)
    The Law & Order Party (you follow the Law, we'll Order some drinks)
    The PartyWhatParty Party
    Or..
    Breaking... The Law Party
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441

HYUFD said:

glw said:

You are absolutely right Anabalisa - simply ask pubman to define lockdown. For certain now as in papers tonight there will be WFH guidance around Christmas, perhaps early finish or late starting to school terms. But that’s it. Ambulance and hospitals will have to surge very badly for return of furlough.

I’m going out shopping tomorrow to cheer myself up.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If Boris falls because of this. The next leader cannot.

A. Have attended the party
    B. Known about the party and kept quiet.

That almost certainly rules out the cabinet.

Good try
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Some crucial data

zeynep tufekci
    @zeynep
    ·
    3m
    First lab results on Omicron, from
    @sigallab
    Not great, but not as catastrophic as it could have been. Tested with 2x Pfizer, and shows, yeah, it'll cause a lot of breakthroughs. Those with vaccine *and* infection appeared much more protected: suggests boosters will work well.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1468347730133192708?s=20

Yeah, saw that earlier. Decentish. And more anecdotal stuff is rolling in today suggesting the virus itself is milder than Delta. The Norwegians seem cautiously optimistic, for example (Telegraph story just out).
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

Is the disease already endemic in South Africa? They have 25% vaccination rate and the hospitals don't appear to be collapsing under the strain. We'll see but I'm still more inclined to think that omicron represents the beginning of the end of the pandemic rather than the beginning of the end.
This discussion has been closed.