Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could Reform’s Tice surprise us on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageCould Reform’s Tice surprise us on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

I’ve just come across a BBC News report on Thursday’s Old Bexley & Sidcup by-election which has the remarkable claim by ReformUK that the party has knocked on 90% of doors in the seat. I find this hard to believe because it is a massive task and for any party to achieve that level of penetration in a Westminster by-election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    First like the party that will win this by-election (I have no idea which party)
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited November 2021
    First - which Tice almost certainly won't be.

Edit Second - which equally Tice won't be.
    eek said:

First - which Tice almost certainly won't be.

Edit Second - which equally Tice won't be.

At least you saved your deposit :)
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Do we know if Starmer is appointng a new shadow home secretary, or just sending out a search party to see if this Thomas-Symonds character he's mentioned actually exists?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    maaarsh said:

Do we know if Starmer is appointng a new shadow home secretary, or just sending out a search party to see if this Thomas-Symonds character he's mentioned actually exists?

:lol:
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,151
    If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We need to be even tougher on asylum seekers
    - We need to stop mask mandates and avoid any talk of lockdowns
    - We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    I don't believe that header is true (I would believe it of any of the main parties), but even if true do they have the ability to GOTV. It is one thing getting the data another to use it effectively. Was it Peterborough where they seemed not to know what to do or how to do it?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    I doubt he will win but I expect RefUK to beat the LDs for third.

I would expect a result on Thursday something like Conservatives 55% Labour 28% RefUK 10% LDs 5% Others 2%
    Is Galloways Worker's Party entering the race - they've caused some havoc in the past.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    I can promise you that the more the govt talks about new restrictions the more I am going to look to see where RefUK is standing.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    HYUFD said:

I would expect a result on Thursday something like Conservatives 55% Labour 28% RefUK 10% LDs 5% Others 2%

If the LDs aren't campaigning they might struggle to get that. If Reform are campaigning heavily they might do better than that and I assume mainly at the cost of the Conservatives. Still expect Conservatives to win though.
  • No.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    HYUFD said:

Surely it is not about if Tice wins, but can he embarrass Johnson enough to let Labour in? Unlikely granted, but this is his function. He is to Johnson what Gorgeous George is to Starmer.
  • for a bit of fun had a bet on old bexley and sidcup by election in the Ladbrokes minnows sections and the uber minnows section

put a £10 on Greens to beat Lib dems and Reform at 11/4
    and another £10 on Heritage to beat UKIP, ED and official mostor raving looney at 9/2
    HYUFD said:

Scores on the doors! Not much managing expectations in that one.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    While Reform UK’s Richard Tice
    Is not associated with any form of vice,
    That still doesn’t mean to say he’s nice.
    In fact there are many who’d prefer to be infested by lice.
    JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

Given the Conservatives got 64% in Old Bexley and Sidcup in 2019 and Labour got 23% it would still be a swing to Labour even if a solid Tory hold
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

for a bit of fun had a bet on old bexley and sidcup by election in the Ladbrokes minnows sections and the uber minnows section

and another £10 on Heritage to beat UKIP, ED and official mostor raving looney at 9/2

UKIP still exists?
    HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

Given the Conservatives got 64% in Old Bexley and Sidcup in 2019 and Labour got 23% it would still be a swing to Labour even if a solid Tory hold
    Just checked the betfair odds before I chose to respond.

The market agrees with you-

Con Win 1.1
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics-betting-2378961
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    TimS said:

If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.

"Save our boilers!"
    I might have a nibble on the saving the deposit at 6/4 but betfair doesn't have that market and I don't like to get involved with more than one bookmaker as it just causes confusion to me.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,254
    Farooq said:

for a bit of fun had a bet on old bexley and sidcup by election in the Ladbrokes minnows sections and the uber minnows section

UKIP still exists?
    Political parties never really die, do they?

Somewhere, someone is probably planning to stand in a council seat on a Change UK* ticket!

*Well, that one really did die, I guess. Although arguably it never really lived.
  • TOPPING said:

I can promise you that the more the govt talks about new restrictions the more I am going to look to see where RefUK is standing.

🎶 Wearing a mask is like trying to keep a fart in your trousers 🎶
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    HYUFD said:

But it’s is interesting how quickly political landscapes transform. Reform do sound like they can build from here into a sharp outfit and persuasive siphon of lots and lots of voters away from the Conservatives? Glossy brochure, canvassing apps, strong confident persuasive leader, most of all very concise punchy right wing populist policies. Don’t you think HYUFD?

For example, why should someone who reads the telegraph or Mail where Tice is clearly getting these policies from, stick with confused and rootless Boris?

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

UKIP still exists?

Somewhere, someone is probably planning to stand in a council seat on a Change UK* ticket!

*Well, that one really did die, I guess. Although arguably it never really lived.
    Truly, what is dead may never die.

TimS said:

- We should cut taxes?

"Save our boilers!"
    People don’t like change. Someone should set up a party simply saying no more change.
    Oh. Silly me. Looks likes Tice has.

TOPPING said:

When I saw the video, it took me a while to work out the lyrics (partly due to them all singing out of time as well as out of tune). Briefly thought the line was "wearing a mask is like trying to keep a ferret in your trousers". Didn't really see the parallel to be honest.
  • Lady Nugee is the new Shadow Home Secretary.

Fantastic appointment.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    maaarsh said:

Selebian said:

Farooq said:

UKIP still exists?

Truly, what is dead may never die.
    Change UK?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,132
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

When I saw the video, it took me a while to work out the lyrics (partly due to them all singing out of time as well as out of tune). Briefly thought the line was "wearing a mask is like trying to keep a ferret in your trousers". Didn't really see the parallel to be honest.
    I thoiught that was the point, to keep it in?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    Labour source says Nick Thomas-Symonds out as Shadow Home Sec, Emily Thornberry in.
    https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1465318041072324614
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Wearing a mask is like trying to keep a lion in the zoo.

Lady Nugee is the new Shadow Home Secretary.

Fantastic appointment.

I just hope the old one is found safe and sound.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,394
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

If the LDs aren't campaigning they might struggle to get that. If Reform are campaigning heavily they might do better than that and I assume mainly at the cost of the Conservatives. Still expect Conservatives to win though.
    I'd be surprised if Conservatives got as much as 55% (HYUFD's forecast). They'd be deservedly very pleased if they did. Think it will be south of 50% but a probable win as Labour will have a definite ceiling in a constituency like OB&S. Tories are always far more vulnerable when LibDems emerge as the challengers (eg, North Shropshire, which I think they likely lose.)

Fantastic appointment.

May as well post this https://order-order.com/2014/11/24/lady-nugees-walled-garden/
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

I had an email from London Lib Dems today. Half hearted mention of some leafletting in Bexley. They really aren't bothering with this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lost deposit, especially if Labour pick up remain voters.
  • Apparently Angela Rayner says she wants Labour to be seen as fit for government, though she seems to lack self awareness because surely that would put her out of a job?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    6/4 sounds good value on Tice beating 5%. I find him a bit of an airhead myself but I can imagine him giving good doorstep. So many of these 'populist right' characters give off a rather acrid aroma (as I imagine it) but Tice not so much. He's more 'man who'd charm you out of your pension lump sum', which is just what you want for a fringe party candidate in a by-election.
    eek said:

Fantastic appointment.

May as well post this https://order-order.com/2014/11/24/lady-nugees-walled-garden/
    and this

https://twitter.com/meggiefoster/status/1260495050431254538

Fantastic appointment.

I bet she asks the Speaker to call her that. Titled posho party.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

Fantastic appointment.

Why call her by her husband's name?

Bizarre.
    IshmaelZ said:

Fantastic appointment.

I bet she asks the Speaker to call her that. Titled posho party.
    How much do you wanna bet?

Apparently Angela Rayner says she wants Labour to be seen as fit for government, though she seems to lack self awareness because surely that would put her out of a job?

Higher net popularity than Boris, though
    eek said:

Fantastic appointment.

Zzzzzzzzz.
    #LabourReshuffle
  • eek said:

Fantastic appointment.

Being a hypocrite when it comes to making money has never been a disbarment for Labour high office and neither should it be. I think the Tories will be worried by this appointment. She actually has gravitas. A few more appointments like this and Labour starts to look more serious. Mrs Balls perhaps?
    kinabalu said:

6/4 sounds good value on Tice beating 5%. I find him a bit of an airhead myself but I can imagine him giving good doorstep. So many of these 'populist right' characters give off a rather acrid aroma (as I imagine it) but Tice not so much. He's more 'man who'd charm you out of your pension lump sum', which is just what you want for a fringe party candidate in a by-election.

He went to Uppingham. Which I accept is a far cry from Haileybury but not a bad place, all things considered.
  • Farooq said:

Apparently Angela Rayner says she wants Labour to be seen as fit for government, though she seems to lack self awareness because surely that would put her out of a job?

and a similar level of unsuitability for high office.
    Scott_xP said:

Labour source says Nick Thomas-Symonds out as Shadow Home Sec, Emily Thornberry in.

Suggests Cooper may replace Nandy at Shadow Foreign Sec or Green at Education then if Thornberry is the new Shadow Home Secretary.

Reeves presumably staying as Shadow Chancellor
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Fantastic appointment.

England flags on standby.

TimS said:

- We should cut taxes?

"Save our boilers!"
    There's actually a whole catalogue of selectively crowd pleasing policies where a true poujadist party could make hay with a certain part of the middle aged male vote. Cut the extortionate fuel duty, no more annoying speed bumps, get rid of road-narrowing cycle lanes (and the bus lanes while they're at it), ditch those mad health and safety rules, bring anything you want to the tip, liberalise those pesky building regs etc.
  • Thats an oooooold photo of Mr Tice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58781447

Fantastic appointment.

Ha ha. She’s proper rubbish. Matron from the carry on films. 🤣
    That's what I love about PB. The sophisticated political insight.
    Farooq said:

Preferred PM

Johnson 48%
    Rayner 18%

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1448227495115907074?s=20
    TimS said:

- We should cut taxes?

On point 2, I don't know if people have had the chance to watch the song released today "Wearing a Mask is like Trying to Keep a Fart in your Trousers". Tice doesn't feature but Piers Corbyn totally does.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Not sure about the return of Thornberry (not that she actually went away). She’s marmite.

Still, we can expect a bit more pressure on Patel now.
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Preferred PM

Johnson 48%
    Rayner 18%

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1448227495115907074?s=20
    Farooq said net.
    kinabalu said:

Yes, he has a rather '80s aura. Very Howard's Way.
  • Why does I'm A Celebrity "news" make it anywhere near the BBC?

TOPPING said:

Ah good, somebody HAS seen it.

Christmas number 1 is the aim, I think.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Scott_xP said:

Time to put the flags out.

Fantastic appointment.

Over the weekend I was getting worried we might get a Labour government. Looks like Starmer has put that worry to death today 🙂
    On topic. Well one of them.

Just started listening to Purple Rain from Live in RIo. 11mins 35 secs.

Fantastic.
  • Thats an oooooold photo of Mr Tice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58781447

That's a photo of oooooold Mr Tice.

Is he the one out of that Respect etc mob that wears a wig?

Not sure about the return of Thornberry (not that she actually went away). She’s marmite.

I think she's great in that (albeit ex-) Tory liking Labour politicians they would never in a million years vote for*.

*See entire Lab shadow cabinet.
    edited November 2021

“ Still, we can expect a bit more pressure on Patel now. “.

Why? Not if Thornberry says a lot of silly things about policy like she said about nuclear weapons and becomes the story.
    Seriously. Thornberry. Yet another north London hand-wringer.

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Well, there is that. Maybe there are parallels. Uncomfortable, makes social interactions a bit trickier, but ultimately serves a purpose?

Maybe there's a public awareness ad campaign there, like the old FACT ones with the person stealing a car (equivalent to copying a DVD).
    "You wouldn't share your ferret. Don't share your Covid. Wear a mask"
  • JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

HYUFD said:

Just checked the betfair odds before I chose to respond.

The market agrees with you-

Con Win 1.1
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/en/politics-betting-2378961
    Betfair had tighter odds than that on the Tories in Chesham & Amersham
    TOPPING said:

Fantastic.

I am perplexed. What happens to the guitar when he chucks it in the air at the end of while My Guitar Gently Weeps? is it on strings?

Fantastic appointment.

I fear for Pritti Patel

Why does I'm A Celebrity "news" make it anywhere near the BBC?

Because the BBC is crap - which wouldn't be a problem in itself - but is also the most regressive tax we have in the UK
  • TOPPING said:

I think she's great in that (albeit ex-) Tory liking Labour politicians they would never in a million years vote for*.

Is there a typo in that? I can’t work out what you are saying.

Why does I'm A Celebrity "news" make it anywhere near the BBC?

Makes a change from banging on about Adele.

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Suggests Cooper may replace Nandy at Shadow Foreign Sec or Green at Education then if Thornberry is the new Shadow Home Secretary.

Reeves presumably staying as Shadow Chancellor
    Sir Keir's Angels?
    edited November 2021
    If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.
  • Ray Illingworth reveals he is fighting cancer - and wants the right to end his own life

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/11/29/exclusive-ray-illingworth-reveals-fighting-cancer-wants-right/

Fantastic appointment.

Over the weekend I was getting worried we might get a Labour government. Looks like Starmer has put that worry to death today 🙂
    If that is your idea of a witty repost you might be disappointed to know I am a (lapsed) Tory. If you are worried about a Labour government you should be concerned that Starmer might be putting serious people in shadow cabinet positions and making Johnson's government look even more lightweight and ridiculous than it does already. Surprised he hasn't done it before tbh. If he brings in Cooper and other people that don't scare floating voters then Peppa Pig might get the chance for a new full time brand ambassador

A bad appointment.

Out Priti Priti – what, be even more rightwing, thick and incompetent?

Not sure I agree.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited November 2021

As does sometimes happen, I place a bet , post on here then see some narrative that makes me think twice - so stepped in for a more serious bet on Reform at 2/1 to beat LD and Greens at £30. Effectively made the green bet earlier a "saver" .

Given what people are posting on here Reform at 2/1 to beat LD and Greens looks value

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
  • JBriskin3 said:

If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.

It would show that Labour is serious about winning again
  • Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

"In Europe, Sunderland is the one which will take the lead towards electrification."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-as-it-announces-ps13billion-investment-in-electric-vehicles-3474806
  • IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

Fantastic.

I am perplexed. What happens to the guitar when he chucks it in the air at the end of while My Guitar Gently Weeps? is it on strings?
    A roady is ready!
  • Good news for fans of Thornberry's return, Dan Hodges agrees with you -

@DPJHodges
    16m
    I actually think Emily Thornberry to Shadow Home Affairs is a good move. Whatever White Van baggage she might carry, she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.

Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

"In Europe, Sunderland is the one which will take the lead towards electrification."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-as-it-announces-ps13billion-investment-in-electric-vehicles-3474806

Nissan doesn't really have any other European factories and Nissan's relationship with Renault isn't what it was.

TOPPING said:

Plenty of Tories on here say what a great politician and how big fans they are of XYZ Lab politician, and how they should be made leader of the Party but it's not going to translate into a vote for that politician and Party.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762

Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

Wow, that is seriously good news for UK plc.

A bad appointment.

I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
    To be honest I thought he was okay. It’s lazy on here to save he was completely rubbish. He dressed smart. He spoke sensibly and clearly. On the news a lot last week. Wasn’t horribly opportunist about the issues in the channel like Nandy was over the weekend. He looked like a safe pair of hands for government.
  • Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

That is fantastic news.

And people said the voters in Sunderland were stupid to vote for Brexit because it'd be the death of Nissan there.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Plenty of Tories on here say what a great politician and how big fans they are of XYZ Lab politician, and how they should be made leader of the Party but it's not going to translate into a vote for that politician and Party.
    As HYUFD is never shy of telling us, there's a fair few Tories [or ex-Tories] on this site who voted for Blair.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

Nissan doesn't really have any other European factories and Nissan's relationship with Renault isn't what it was.
    Quite understandable, who wants to work with the French if you don't have to....all those union rules, short working week, long holidays, constant strike action. Even the French don't want to, that's 500k of them live in London.

Is that my quota for French bashing used up?
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,702

That is fantastic news.

And people said the voters in Sunderland were stupid to vote for Brexit because it'd be the death of Nissan there.
    Worse than that people were actively wanting Nissan to pull out of Sunderland to teach people here a lesson. FBPE types on Twitter and the like.

I wonder if they have any jobs. I’m tiring of trains
    JBriskin3 said:

Fair point, but I note that you are another one who insists on calling a professional woman by her husband's name. Why? Did you refer to Ed Balls as Ed Cooper?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

A bad appointment.

Nadia Whittome for Shadow Home Sec.

Er ...

A bad appointment.

Out Priti Priti – what, be even more rightwing, thick and incompetent?

Not sure I agree.
    More police.

Arrest the criminals - and get them locked up.

Make people feel safe in their homes and in the street.

Sort out the boats in the Channel.

All stuff that Priti is failing on.

Not blaming society for the criminal behaviours of a bunch of scrotes and making out that they are somehow the victims.
This discussion has been closed.