Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could Reform’s Tice surprise us on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2021
    Boosters extended to 18+ adults, prioritised by age/risk group, no sooner than 3 months after second dose. Also boosters for severely immunocompromised. Booster doses should be mRNA.

12-15 to get same schedule as 16+ - 12 weeks after first dose.
  • What was the 4th jab thing, I missed it?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.

Fair point, but I note that you are another one who insists on calling a professional woman by her husband's name. Why? Did you refer to Ed Balls as Ed Cooper?
    I guess I might refer to Ed as Balls-Cooper?

In all honesty my style guide says I do that so that so that PB casuals are aware of the connection.
    "PB casuals"

I didn't realise that we had a hooligan firm associated with the site.

Do they organise fights with the Order-Order Service Crew?
    No, we go to first class lounges of airports and trash them.

Ask Charles for the next dust up location and time.
    No. no. no.

Private jet lounge.

First Class is full of Head Count, these days.
    Lounge? You mean you don't get taken direct to the plane?
    The plane comes to me.

I was h*nting once at Badminton and observed that I was surprised we were allowed to ride straight across an airfield. Ah no, was the reply, this is just helicopters. we land the fixed wing aircraft on the other side of the house.
  • DavidL said:

Game on.

"I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023"

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tells SNP conference her party will make "the positive case" for Scottish independence

https://bbc.in/3d1nz7q

There is no process. The recent debacle in the Supreme Court confirmed that things "related to" a reserved issue fell within it. She cannot enable a referendum.

Of course, there are in my view compelling tactical reasons why the UK government should not stand in her way and allow this and a strong democratic argument that it would be wrong to do so. But there is no process and she has no control over the timetable. She's a fantasist. Not quite in the same league as Kate Forbes but a fantasist all the same.
    IIRC there was a two year window from the Edinburgh agreement and indyref1.

This is cutting it fine.

Severely Immunocompromised have had three doses as initial program, so fourth is 'booster"
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

What was the 4th jab thing, I missed it?

For immunocompromised people. Three doses should be considered their primary course, 4th shot is the booster for them, 3 months after their third shot. Their arms will look like pincushions.

Severely Immunocompromised have had three doses as initial program, so fourth is 'booster"
    Cheers....paging elderly parents now, as they will be in that category.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,398
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We need to be even tougher on asylum seekers
    - We need to stop mask mandates and avoid any talk of lockdowns
    - We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.

"Save our boilers!"
    There's actually a whole catalogue of selectively crowd pleasing policies where a true poujadist party could make hay with a certain part of the middle aged male vote. Cut the extortionate fuel duty, no more annoying speed bumps, get rid of road-narrowing cycle lanes (and the bus lanes while they're at it), ditch those mad health and safety rules, bring anything you want to the tip, liberalise those pesky building regs etc.
    Surprised that Reform are not going big on 'No Gents in the Ladies!"

Or are they?
    Aiming for the low hanging fruit?
  • DavidL said:

Game on.

"I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023"

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tells SNP conference her party will make "the positive case" for Scottish independence

There is no process. The recent debacle in the Supreme Court confirmed that things "related to" a reserved issue fell within it. She cannot enable a referendum.

Of course, there are in my view compelling tactical reasons why the UK government should not stand in her way and allow this and a strong democratic argument that it would be wrong to do so. But there is no process and she has no control over the timetable. She's a fantasist. Not quite in the same league as Kate Forbes but a fantasist all the same.
    The process is "can I have a referendum please" and being told "no".
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    DavidL said:

Game on.

Gotta throw those scraps of red meat to the loyal SNP fan base. Easy to promise something that essentially you can’t deliver - she’ll send Boris a letter, he’ll say no, she’ll complain about democracy

She won’t hold a referendum as risk of boycott too high. Round and round we go
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    eek said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.

Fair point, but I note that you are another one who insists on calling a professional woman by her husband's name. Why? Did you refer to Ed Balls as Ed Cooper?

In all honesty my style guide says I do that so that so that PB casuals are aware of the connection.
    "PB casuals"

I didn't realise that we had a hooligan firm associated with the site.

Do they organise fights with the Order-Order Service Crew?
    No, we go to first class lounges of airports and trash them.

Ask Charles for the next dust up location and time.
    No. no. no.

Private jet lounge.

First Class is full of Head Count, these days.
    Lounge? You mean you don't get taken direct to the plane?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOh73eZZR8
  • Yay football analogy from JVT.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2021
    Anybody doubting how serious the scientists think this could be, you only have to see how JCVI have gone from nah kids don't need to worry, adults, some will get a booster something in the future. Now it is jab everybody ASAP, even a 4th go around.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Good news for fans of Thornberry's return, Dan Hodges agrees with you -

@DPJHodges
    16m
    I actually think Emily Thornberry to Shadow Home Affairs is a good move. Whatever White Van baggage she might carry, she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.

The flags story was trivial bollocks. Who in their right mind would want to live next to that effing state of a house?

Still, it was a great gift on PB as I had hours of fun asking the usual pearl-clutching PB Tories whether they, or their wife, would be comfortable if their next-door neighbour decked the front of their house in England flags. Much twisting and pin-head dancing ensued.
    I'd quite happily live next to that house.

Absolutely no qualms with my neighbours flying flags. On my street I've got multiple neighbours who routinely fly flags, including one permanently flying a Unite flag. I've got many more who fly them during England tournaments and I've done so myself. Doesn't bother me at all, live and let live.

Anyone bothered by that needs to get their head out of their arse. Do you whinge about neighbours putting Christmas or Halloween decorations out too? Miserable gits.
    Bully for you. The guy who decked his house in England flags did so in November 2014 – nothing to do with a major football tournament. It looked a right state and most people would be unhappy to have to live next to it.
    Why?

We've got a neighbour who moans about other people's houses. She's full of shit in my opinion and so is anyone (I doubt its "most people") who get upset about other people's homes.

However people want to decorate their own home is up to them. Variety is the spice of life.

Curtain twitching busybodies need to get a life.
    Bully for you if you (and your wife!) have such accommodating attitudes. I can tell you that they aren't widely shared. Most people don't want their streets to look a right state. But, each to their own.
    As I said, there's multiple people who regularly fly flags on my street and nobody kicks off a stink about it.

"Each to their own" is the polar opposite of being a curtain twitching busybody whinging about other people's homes.
    You lost your big St George in mysterious circumstances as I recall.

It isn't a proper press conference without it.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Clever of Starmer to spread a rumour about Emily Thornberry, just to see how the prospect of her being Shadow HS goes down with PB Tories who'd never vote Labour. He's getting cannier by the day.

Embarrassing for everybody here who thought it real and said that’s a good idea. 🙂
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Seriously. Thornberry. Yet another north London hand-wringer.

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
    To be honest I thought he was okay. It’s lazy on here to save he was completely rubbish. He dressed smart. He spoke sensibly and clearly. On the news a lot last week. Wasn’t horribly opportunist about the issues in the channel like Nandy was over the weekend. He looked like a safe pair of hands for government.
    I pay way more attention to politics than about 90% of the population and if you had asked me this morning who the shadow Home Secretary was this morning I might have come up with Nick but no way I would have got the surname. Given that the Home Secretary is under the pump and, frankly, more than a tad obnoxious, that's not great.

I am sure that SKS wants people who can demand the attention of the media and sound punchy. He's right to the extent that is what opposition politicians need to do to be even noticed. Thornberry is not everyone's cup of tea but neither is Patel. She will certainly be heard.
    I know what you are saying, but I think it’s wrong. Opposition shadows you get to hear about when they have made a mistake. It’s just not that easy, because what gets thrown at them whenever they attack in Parliament or in tv debate, what’s your policy then?

There is no real votes in attacking in opposition, only in laying out and explaining policy positions.

I still vividly remember a very young looking Tony Blair appearing on Newsnight on Black Wednesday. as City Minister. He showed a clear understanding of the problems, just the right amount of sympathy for Ministers in real difficulty and clear bullet point answers. The Cabinet Minister up with him looked a bumbling incompetent by comparison. I remember thinking I have just seen a political masterclass and this guy is going to be a real challenge. Thornberry is not close to that but she's still way better than the vast majority of the shadow cabinet.

I agree that being an attack dog is not enough but you need to show competence and a clear alternative, even if the details are (understandably) missing.
    I've tried to find archive footage of that, to no avail. Easy to find Lamont in the dark though.

2 yellow cards to key players and not wait for the red card
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611

Clever of Starmer to spread a rumour about Emily Thornberry, just to see how the prospect of her being Shadow HS goes down with PB Tories who'd never vote Labour. He's getting cannier by the day.

Chortle
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m
    I actually think Emily Thornberry to Shadow Home Affairs is a good move. Whatever White Van baggage she might carry, she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.

The flags story was trivial bollocks. Who in their right mind would want to live next to that effing state of a house?

Still, it was a great gift on PB as I had hours of fun asking the usual pearl-clutching PB Tories whether they, or their wife, would be comfortable if their next-door neighbour decked the front of their house in England flags. Much twisting and pin-head dancing ensued.

Absolutely no qualms with my neighbours flying flags. On my street I've got multiple neighbours who routinely fly flags, including one permanently flying a Unite flag. I've got many more who fly them during England tournaments and I've done so myself. Doesn't bother me at all, live and let live.

Anyone bothered by that needs to get their head out of their arse. Do you whinge about neighbours putting Christmas or Halloween decorations out too? Miserable gits.
    Bully for you. The guy who decked his house in England flags did so in November 2014 – nothing to do with a major football tournament. It looked a right state and most people would be unhappy to have to live next to it.
    Why?

We've got a neighbour who moans about other people's houses. She's full of shit in my opinion and so is anyone (I doubt its "most people") who get upset about other people's homes.

However people want to decorate their own home is up to them. Variety is the spice of life.

Bully for you if you (and your wife!) have such accommodating attitudes. I can tell you that they aren't widely shared. Most people don't want their streets to look a right state. But, each to their own.
    As I said, there's multiple people who regularly fly flags on my street and nobody kicks off a stink about it.

"Each to their own" is the polar opposite of being a curtain twitching busybody whinging about other people's homes.
    Nothing mysterious - my wife isn't keen and happy wife, happy life.

If it was a neighbour not being keen, I wouldn't care less.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

I don't see it's wise to mess around with Thornberry. Look where it got Nugee.
  • Well, that's more aggressive than I expected.

Supply will hold up.
    Delivery capacity ... let's see how that goes.

"All adults in the UK should be offered booster jabs from just three months after their second vaccinations as the government’s advisers speeded up the programme to limit the spread of the Omicron variant.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) announced that the waiting time was being cut for all adults, with priority for booking to be decided by the NHS."

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1465336577387905029?s=20

It isn't a proper press conference without it.
    Best thing he ever said was back in January, 'I don't think there ARE clear data.'
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

Boosters for everyone after 3 months now - look forward to the details, sounds like a bun fight for bookings if true.

Need to get our appointments booked in ASAP!
    Can confirm the website still tells you to **** off if too young.
    I imagine it will get updated overnight tonight.
    Sounds like they're going back to opening it up by age cohort rather than making 25m ellgible at once. Makes the 3 month gap a bit notional frankly unless you're only getting your 2nd jab today.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459

Embarrassing for everybody here who thought it real and said that’s a good idea. 🙂
    But not for you, who's been commenting on her 'appointment' at great length, to tell us what a bad idea it is (isn't)?
  • Why is JVT wearing an MCC tie?

Maybe it's a State of Vietnam tie?

His grandfather was its PM, and this was its flag

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Anybody doubting how serious the scientists think this could be, you only have to see how JCVI have gone from nah kids don't need to worry, adults, some will get a booster something in the future. Now it is jab everybody ASAP, even a 4th go around.

I've been assured by the PB Scientific Team Brains Trust, from evidence they gathered from a GP in South Africa that there is nothing to fear.

And Andrew Bridgen says I don't need to wear a mask.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Scott_xP said:

For those watching the Labour shadow cabinet reshuffle fiendishly, it appears Nick Thomas-Symonds is being removed from Home Secretary, but will not be replaced by Emily Thornberry. Yvette Cooper is the obvious bet for that job... but only if she can be coaxed back.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1465333022857875465

Good move. Nick Thomas-Symonds was anonymous.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Who started the Thornberry rumour here, and what was the source of it ?

But not for you, who's been commenting on her 'appointment' at great length, to tell us what a bad idea it is (isn't)?
    Yes. Pretti Patel is a lump of lard in a pan that’s heating up. No need to poke or mash it, just double check your recipe and method so you get your own lines right.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
    To be honest I thought he was okay. It’s lazy on here to save he was completely rubbish. He dressed smart. He spoke sensibly and clearly. On the news a lot last week. Wasn’t horribly opportunist about the issues in the channel like Nandy was over the weekend. He looked like a safe pair of hands for government.
    I pay way more attention to politics than about 90% of the population and if you had asked me this morning who the shadow Home Secretary was this morning I might have come up with Nick but no way I would have got the surname. Given that the Home Secretary is under the pump and, frankly, more than a tad obnoxious, that's not great.

I am sure that SKS wants people who can demand the attention of the media and sound punchy. He's right to the extent that is what opposition politicians need to do to be even noticed. Thornberry is not everyone's cup of tea but neither is Patel. She will certainly be heard.
    I know what you are saying, but I think it’s wrong. Opposition shadows you get to hear about when they have made a mistake. It’s just not that easy, because what gets thrown at them whenever they attack in Parliament or in tv debate, what’s your policy then?

There is no real votes in attacking in opposition, only in laying out and explaining policy positions.

I still vividly remember a very young looking Tony Blair appearing on Newsnight on Black Wednesday. as City Minister. He showed a clear understanding of the problems, just the right amount of sympathy for Ministers in real difficulty and clear bullet point answers. The Cabinet Minister up with him looked a bumbling incompetent by comparison. I remember thinking I have just seen a political masterclass and this guy is going to be a real challenge. Thornberry is not close to that but she's still way better than the vast majority of the shadow cabinet.

I agree that being an attack dog is not enough but you need to show competence and a clear alternative, even if the details are (understandably) missing.
    I really like your post there David.
    The first rule of politics is not attack, just explain your position on issues. So you are measuring their talent in how well they communicate this. And acknowledging something had gone wrong not because your opposite number is stupid, but because some things that come up are difficult, is a master stroke in sounding fair and thoughtful. Attack merely siren Calls you down the stupid road Nandy choose to go down at the weekend. It’s leads to a dead end where you have lost the voters because you don’t actually have any answers. Boris knows it well, he is currently head butting the wall of that dead end.

Labour need policies and good calm communicators, not finger jabbers like Cooper or bruisers like maaaaaatron. 🤣
    Cooper's cool as a cucumber. Very clever too. Her debit (imo) is a slight aura of 'take the punch bowl away before anybody has even arrived'. But if (as I hope) people are starting to tire of 'politics needs to be a good giggle' this won't be a debit at all.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,966
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Political journalist for Joe.co.uk, used to work for LBC, so it isn't an ITK.

https://twitter.com/AvaSantina/status/1465318041072324614

I've been assured by the PB Scientific Team Brains Trust, from evidence they gathered from a GP in South Africa that there is nothing to fear.

Quite the opposite. Almost everyone here has been saying the SA doctor has been misquoted. You see what you want to see though.
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

For those watching the Labour shadow cabinet reshuffle fiendishly, it appears Nick Thomas-Symonds is being removed from Home Secretary, but will not be replaced by Emily Thornberry. Yvette Cooper is the obvious bet for that job... but only if she can be coaxed back.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1465333022857875465

Good move. Nick Thomas-Symonds was anonymous.
    Who?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,459
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

PB: where rumours spread faster than Omicron.
    edited November 2021
    Got to love the journlists...you said don't panic, but doesn't this mean we should be panicking.....
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think Thornberry is a poor appointment, I would have had Yvette Cooper up against Priti Patel. Thornberry is exactly the kind of opponent Priti will want, someone she can paint as an out of touch liberal handwringing human rights loving lawyer who doesn't want to stop the boats but wants the UK to accept everyone and anyone and also encourage more boats.

The vast majority of people in the UK would like the boats to stop coming and for the UK to become a fortress, the Labour party should have seized on the government being out of step with the people, instead they've picked someone who will easily be painted as frustrating the efforts to stop the boats. I also think Thornberry is a liability and will try and imply that Priti Patel is racist or her parents could have been on the boats etc... which will go down extremely poorly with the country at large but get the twitter masturbators energised, further compounding Labour's policy and image problem on immigration.

Tom Newton Dunn saying Thornberry will not be shadow home secretary
    Which makes sense, Labour should have come to the same conclusion I did.
    I'd prefer Coops – she is completely wasted on the back benches.
    Shades of dear old George Brown staggering his way around.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,765

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

I've tried to find archive footage of that, to no avail. Easy to find Lamont in the dark though.
    Probably doesn't help I got the wrong economic crisis by 5 years but @TheWhiteRabbit found it despite my best efforts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8lhtknnuSU
    edited November 2021
    By my guesstimate, end of December / Jan is going to be a real squeeze on, with 4th doses and big bulk of 3rd doses all available at the same time.
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

The first rule of politics is not attack, just explain your position on issues. So you are measuring their talent in how well they communicate this. And acknowledging something had gone wrong not because your opposite number is stupid, but because some things that come up are difficult, is a master stroke in sounding fair and thoughtful. Attack merely siren Calls you down the stupid road Nandy choose to go down at the weekend. It’s leads to a dead end where you have lost the voters because you don’t actually have any answers. Boris knows it well, he is currently head butting the wall of that dead end.

Labour need policies and good calm communicators, not finger jabbers like Cooper or bruisers like maaaaaatron. 🤣
    Cooper's cool as a cucumber. Very clever too. Her debit (imo) is a slight aura of 'take the punch bowl away before anybody has even arrived'. But if (as I hope) people are starting to tire of 'politics needs to be a good giggle' this won't be a debit at all.
    I am happy to learn. What did I actually say that was wrong in the first paragraph?
  • Twitter shares soar 11% as it's announced that CEO Jack Dorsey is stepping down
  • Javid: 5 confirmed cases in England, 6 in Scotland. HoC now.

DavidL said:

Game on.

Gotta throw those scraps of red meat to the loyal SNP fan base. Easy to promise something that essentially you can’t deliver - she’ll send Boris a letter, he’ll say no, she’ll complain about democracy

She won’t hold a referendum as risk of boycott too high. Round and round we go
    I was watching remedial philosophy classes at the weekend, otherwise known as Spongebob Squarepants. Genius. In one of them Squidward goes to live in Squidsville with lots of people like him. All too soon the repetitive nature of life there bores him out of his mind and he wants to return to Spongebob and his idiotic childishness. Surely even SNP supporters are feeling the same way?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    JBriskin3 said:

Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

What's the relevance of the connection, though?
    They're married.
    HYUFD, is that you? :wink:

I'm aware of the nature of the connection (as I assume most PBers would be). Just to me the fact she's married to Ed Balls doesn't tell me anything other than she is married to Ed Balls. I judge her on her track record in politics, cabinet, shadow cabinet, failed leadership bid... (FWIW, I think she's a reasonably solid minister/shadow minister, don't think she'd be a good leader).

I'm not trying to get at you here, not bothered particularly that you did refer to her as Cooper-Balls. Just interested as to why you think it's relevant, as you seemed to think it was important to be aware of the connection..
    Gov ministers don't have to come from MPs

If Carrie got appointed Home Sec would that bother you?

Now, with that, I do really need to go on my beer run.
    I'm well aware of the first point.

On the second: that would be quite a different situation, though, would it not? I'd be more interested in the spousal connection if the person handing out the jobs was the spouse. If Ed Balls was Labour leader, I wouldn't question the relevance of pointing out that someone he appointed was his wife - it raises the question of possible favouritism, even if that might be unfounded. Would I be bothered? Not necessarily, in either case, but it would be right to point out the link. But Ed Balls is not even an MP any more - it seems unlikely that he's used his influence (what influence?) to get Cooper a post, if indeed she gets one.

Anyway, I'll leave you alone now. I was generally interested in the perception of relevance, but I don't think we're getting anywhere with that. Happy beer hunting :smile:
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    I hate to go all Leon on you but Van Tam’s facial expressions didn’t fill me with much confidence in that presser.
    maaarsh said:

Boosters for everyone after 3 months now - look forward to the details, sounds like a bun fight for bookings if true.

They're going to need to average a million doses a day to get anywhere close to doing them by Christmas.

Will be delighted if they manage it and it could make all the difference. Big test of whether government can get arse into gear. Reaching the decision today, rather than next week as suggested at the weekend press conference, is a good start.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    MaxPB said:

Quite the opposite. Almost everyone here has been saying the SA doctor has been misquoted. You see what you want to see though.
    Indeed. Quoting what one doctor has seen with a handful of patients is merely repeating someone's personal experience.

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We need to be even tougher on asylum seekers
    - We need to stop mask mandates and avoid any talk of lockdowns
    - We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.

"Save our boilers!"
    There's actually a whole catalogue of selectively crowd pleasing policies where a true poujadist party could make hay with a certain part of the middle aged male vote. Cut the extortionate fuel duty, no more annoying speed bumps, get rid of road-narrowing cycle lanes (and the bus lanes while they're at it), ditch those mad health and safety rules, bring anything you want to the tip, liberalise those pesky building regs etc.
    Surprised that Reform are not going big on 'No Gents in the Ladies!"

Or are they?
    Aiming for the low hanging fruit?
    Yes, exactly. People probably know I'm (mainly) on the other side of this 'debate' - inverteds since there rarely is any to speak of - but it is undeniably fertile ground for a party of the reactionary right. Could pick up some votes without risking a single one the other way.
    MaxPB said:

Dr Leon and one or two others were rather reassured last night at the reporting from South Africa. I was very much hoping they were right as I have very much had enough of this Coronavirus b******s!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Suppose it was a neighbour who objected to a huge 20ft square Pirate Flag that you had decided to drape over your house and he came to ask if you would mind taking it down as it was upsetting his young children.

Couldn't care less?

Got to love the journlists...you said don't panic, but doesn't this mean we should be panicking.....

I sense you'd prefer a world without them.

What's wrong with that? Of all possible cues that it is appropriate to panic, being told not to panic is pretty near the top. And indeed the explanation for cutting down the booster gap to 3 months is pretty much We are panicking so you don't have to.

In fairness, it was quite the opposite – lots of shrill panic-mongering from the usual suspects.
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

I don't think people were saying misquoted, rather nobody was giving the full context (nor explaining why a GP isn't in the best position to judge this), and that is now being spun as "fact".

e.g. the Telegraph is running a story that

Omicron Covid variant Q&A: How the symptoms differ and what protection vaccines offer

which again uses the same quote again, to make it sound like people know for certain the symptoms are different.

maaarsh said:

They're going to need to average a million doses a day to get anywhere close to doing them by Christmas.

Will be delighted if they manage it and it could make all the difference. Big test of whether government can get arse into gear. Reaching the decision today, rather than next week as suggested at the weekend press conference, is a good start.
    Yes, they will need to double up capacity from 2.5m per week to 5m per week to make a dent in the number of people who want it before Xmas. My guess is that we will end up doing about 42-44m booster shots from an eligible pool of 47m people with two doses. That leaves at least 25m to get done, I don't see us doing anything like 1m per day sustained but I think we could get to an average of 750k per day for the two weeks to Xmas.

I also hope they get cracking as I would very much like to get a booster shot before Xmas when my wife and I are staying with my parents for a few days now that our trip to Switzerland is officially off.

In fairness, it was quite the opposite – lots of shrill panic-mongering from the usual suspects.
    As I recall you were quite cool with it. And @Leon who went all, back to his bunker in Penarth mode, calmed down on the SA GP's news.

MaxPB said:

I don't think people were saying misquoted, rather nobody was giving the full context (nor explaining why a GP isn't in the best position to judge this), and that is now being spun as "fact".

e.g. the Telegraph is running a story that

Omicron Covid variant Q&A: How the symptoms differ and what protection vaccines offer

which again uses the same quote again, to make it sound like people know for certain the symptoms are different.
    The explanation why a GP isn't in the best position to judge this being...?

Yay football analogy from JVT.

2 yellow cards to key players and not wait for the red card
    Wonder which particular members of the government he had in mind there :wink:

I think the timing of Christmas is a factor here. If they wait two weeks for more data on Omicron then it's less than a fortnight until Christmas and the chance of being able to ramp up the booster programme before the new year is slim.

We have missed your trite, inane searing meta-analysis of the Covid coverage.
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

I sense you'd prefer a world without them.
    I prefer a world where journalists ask pertinent informed questions e.g. here is a good piece on the situation, where somebody has asked experts some very sensible questions.

https://unherd.com/2021/11/the-good-news-about-the-omicron-variant/

Instead I am reading again and again and again the nonsense from the single South African GP.

Javid: 5 confirmed cases in England, 6 in Scotland. HoC now.

Who can doubt that Scotland is ready for independence when we lead the way like this?

MaxPB said:

Dr Leon and one or two others were rather reassured last night at the reporting from South Africa. I was very much hoping they were right as I have very much had enough of this Coronavirus b******s!
    Leon was reassured? He is doom-pornographer in chief, barely a minute goes by without another bout of hysterical hyperbole from him.

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Well I don't blame her. But I'm talking about the flag you had not the underpants.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Suppose it was a neighbour who objected to a huge 20ft square Pirate Flag that you had decided to drape over your house and he came to ask if you would mind taking it down as it was upsetting his young children.

Couldn't care less?
    I plant problem trees. The neighbour plants England flags from time to time. So what? I prefer to talk to him rather than make clucking noises.

One house in the in-law's street flies a different flag each week. I haven't checked out this week's offering but I thought the Confederate battle flag flying the other week was perhaps pushing it a bit.

I don't think it was any kind of political statement judging by the array of alternative flags he has but I'm not sure it could be recommended in all parts.
    Also, on vaccine supply, AIUI the NHS is currently in possession of ~30m doses of Pfizer and Moderna booster shots, that will be more than enough to complete the whole programme as booster take up won't be 100% of people with two doses. Another 30m booster doses are still expected to be delivered as well so supply won't be an issue, it will be the logistics of getting the vaccine centres up and running and getting at least 5m people per week into them.

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

There's also the point that if you completely cover your house in flags you can no longer see what any of the neighbours have on their houses :wink:
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

Also, on vaccine supply, AIUI the NHS is currently in possession of ~30m doses of Pfizer and Moderna booster shots, that will be more than enough to complete the whole programme as booster take up won't be 100% of people with two doses. Another 30m booster doses are still expected to be delivered as well so supply won't be an issue, it will be the logistics of getting the vaccine centres up and running and getting at least 5m people per week into them.

What was the best rate we managed during the first roll out? From memory it was more 2-3m right?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Talk about a pumping up of the booster program. Bloody hell !

As I recall you were quite cool with it. And @Leon who went all, back to his bunker in Penarth mode, calmed down on the SA GP's news.
    Eh? Did you read Leon's posts last night? It's endless panicking from him.

As for the GP, I have no problem with her comments being reported. I don't read much into them – they shouldn't be overanalysed – but I don't see why the networks shouldn't carry them at all.
  • Pulpstar said:

Talk about a pumping up of the booster program. Bloody hell !

Fired up the quattro....
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

Need to get our appointments booked in ASAP!
    Can confirm the website still tells you to **** off if too young.
    I imagine it will get updated overnight tonight.
    Sounds like they're going back to opening it up by age cohort rather than making 25m ellgible at once. Makes the 3 month gap a bit notional frankly unless you're only getting your 2nd jab today.
    If the rate of 3rd doses don't change at all, it would take 100 days to finish the job, for all 18+ in the UK

To do it by the end of the year would take 1.2 million per day.

In case anyone cares in the middle of our leaders panicing so we don't have to / not letting a good crisis go to waste (delete as appropriate).

RSA cases down to 2.2k today - from 2.8k yesterday and 3.2k on Saturday.

MaxPB said:

What was the best rate we managed during the first roll out? From memory it was more 2-3m right?
    ~4.5m per week for a couple of weeks while we were doing lots of first doses of Pfizer and lots of second doses of AZ. At that time we were supply limited but we also had three months of building up jabbing capacity, much of which has been closed and the people sent back to their day jobs. I think current capacity is about 3m doses per week, of which 400k is first and second doses. We'd need a doubling of that to really make a dent before Xmas.
  • TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Couldn't care less?
    I'd politely tell them to mind their own business.
  • MaxPB said:

Leon was reassured? He is doom-pornographer in chief, barely a minute goes by without another bout of hysterical hyperbole from him.
    "Oh, God! Oh, God! We're all gonna die?"
  • So if you already booked for the 6 month booster, can you reschedule?
    edited November 2021
    And Labour reply straight away on to why haven't we given away more vaccines....despite SA having to stop new deliveries because they were overflowing and the UK having already given away 50% of their whole order of AZN.

The problem is SA is due to mismanagement, fake news and anti-vaxxers.

As for the GP, I have no problem with her comments being reported. I don't read much into them – they shouldn't be overanalysed – but I don't see why the networks shouldn't carry them at all.
    Yes he went from Neil in the Young Ones to blind panic and back again, then @Leon saw the GP's report and calm descended.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Dunno who this ringer is giving Labour’s response to Javid. But she is one of those that doesn’t understand that covid is here forever and still thinks it can be eliminated if only the intrusion into our lives was strong enough. This Labour Party wants to condemn us to masks and tracking until we die. Concerning. Deeply deeply concerning.

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Couldn't care less?
    I plant problem trees. The neighbour plants England flags from time to time. So what? I prefer to talk to him rather than make clucking noises.

One house in the in-law's street flies a different flag each week. I haven't checked out this week's offering but I thought the Confederate battle flag flying the other week was perhaps pushing it a bit.

I don't think it was any kind of political statement judging by the array of alternative flags he has but I'm not sure it could be recommended in all parts.
    Exactly. People have all kinds of reasons for objecting to all kind of things. @Philip has said that he wouldn't care about if a neighbour complained about something. But I'm not sure that is true. As you say if a sensible talk resulted in understanding on both sides.

Why shouldn't the people who might object to a cross of St. George be perfectly justified in objecting to it.
  • Allin-Khan pretty dire - monotonous rant - clearly auditioning for the reshuffle.
    The other thing I'm relieved about from today's announcement is that it's very clear that the government intends to continue relying solely on the vaccine and acquired immunity to take the full weight of COVID in this country. One of my friends last night said that they thought this was the case and that current thinking is that NPIs have had their day. I wouldn't be surprised if the mask stuff is rolled back in two or three weeks if we do get another 15m boosters done in that time and over 90% of 50+ people done.

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

I am happy to learn. What did I actually say that was wrong in the first paragraph?
    I think you said she was a shouty pointy politician.
    maaarsh said:

In case anyone cares in the middle of our leaders panicing so we don't have to / not letting a good crisis go to waste (delete as appropriate).

And you have studied weekend reporting effects to the extent you are satisfied those figures are in some way meaningful?
  • And Labour reply straight away on to why haven't we given away more vaccines....despite SA having to stop new orders because they were overflowing and the UK having already given away 50% of their whole order of AZN.

Astonishing lack of tone and content by Rosena Allin Khan

So if you already booked for the 6 month booster, can you reschedule?

You can't just reorganise a timetable you know Sunil...! The locomotives will be in the wrong places.

(It seems that there's some walk-in capacity in some areas, so you could just try I guess)

• eekeek Posts: 24,797

Twitter shares soar 11% as it's announced that CEO Jack Dorsey is stepping down

Hope is that someone will take the company over but I can't imagine who would want to out of the obvious options of MS or Google

Allin-Khan pretty dire - monotonous rant - clearly auditioning for the reshuffle.

Is there any non-Johnsonian you don't have contempt for?
  • moonshine said:

Dunno who this ringer is giving Labour’s response to Javid. But she is one of those that doesn’t understand that covid is here forever and still thinks it can be eliminated if only the intrusion into our lives was strong enough. This Labour Party wants to condemn us to masks and tracking until we die. Concerning. Deeply deeply concerning.

She is an A & E doctor would you believe
    edited November 2021

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Couldn't care less?
    Great neighbour.

What if your children were scared by something visible and prominent in your neighbour's house? Just realise they would tell you to mind your own business.
    edited November 2021

Allin-Khan pretty dire - monotonous rant - clearly auditioning for the reshuffle.

What's she up to? I had heard a slight rumour.

Ah HoC - never mind.
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

The other thing I'm relieved about from today's announcement is that it's very clear that the government intends to continue relying solely on the vaccine and acquired immunity to take the full weight of COVID in this country. One of my friends last night said that they thought this was the case and that current thinking is that NPIs have had their day. I wouldn't be surprised if the mask stuff is rolled back in two or three weeks if we do get another 15m boosters done in that time and over 90% of 50+ people done.

That was the clear indication from Javid's statement in the HoC.

Yes he went from Neil in the Young Ones to blind panic and back again, then @Leon saw the GP's report and calm descended.
    No, he was slagging off the GP's report... I think you are mixing him up with someone else?
    IshmaelZ said:

maaarsh said:

And you have studied weekend reporting effects to the extent you are satisfied those figures are in some way meaningful?
    Well, week on week cases are down 88%, but I wouldn't try to claim that is a fair read. Regardless the trajectory is not terrifying, and the actual cases figures from the epicentre of this crisis seem to me to be at least as relevant as estimates of what might happen.
    edited November 2021
    Has anybody heard from the vaccines minister?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2021

So if you already booked for the 6 month booster, can you reschedule?

I'd have thought so, there's provision for changing your appointment (but you'll have to wait until you're eligible, it will be prioritised by age still, so not everyone at once).
  • Take down of Ding:

On developed country privilege, and the marginalisation of the global South in much of what passes as Covid public science: a view from the South. A thread. 1/20

https://twitter.com/tomtom_m/status/1465303487114321929?s=20
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Couldn't care less?
    Great neighbour.
    Absolutely, being polite to a curtain twitcher is more than they deserve, but manners maketh man.
This discussion has been closed.