Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Reform’s Tice surprise us on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I can promise you that the more the govt talks about new restrictions the more I am going to look to see where RefUK is standing.

🎶 Wearing a mask is like trying to keep a fart in your trousers 🎶
    Ah good, somebody HAS seen it.

Christmas number 1 is the aim, I think.
    A Christmas no 2 would indicate that they've followed through.
    @mrnickharvey
    I’ve fixed the sound on that Piers Corbyn video.
    https://twitter.com/mrnickharvey/status/1465285032956805124
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,127

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not sure about the return of Thornberry (not that she actually went away). She’s marmite.

Still, we can expect a bit more pressure on Patel now.

I think she's great in that (albeit ex-) Tory liking Labour politicians they would never in a million years vote for*.

*See entire Lab shadow cabinet.
    Is there a typo in that? I can’t work out what you are saying.
    Plenty of Tories on here say what a great politician and how big fans they are of XYZ Lab politician, and how they should be made leader of the Party but it's not going to translate into a vote for that politician and Party.
    As HYUFD is never shy of telling us, there's a fair few Tories [or ex-Tories] on this site who voted for Blair.
    Quisling!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

On topic. Well one of them.

Just started listening to Purple Rain from Live in RIo. 11mins 35 secs.

Fantastic.

I am perplexed. What happens to the guitar when he chucks it in the air at the end of while My Guitar Gently Weeps? is it on strings?
    A roady is ready!
    TY
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    JBriskin3 said:

If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.

No, that would be appointing Liz Kendall or Lord Mandelson or Ben Bradshaw.

Cooper-Balls were Brownites not Blarities
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,465
    DavidL said:

Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

"In Europe, Sunderland is the one which will take the lead towards electrification."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-as-it-announces-ps13billion-investment-in-electric-vehicles-3474806

Wow, that is seriously good news for UK plc.
    Given Boris' current effectiveness level, they will probably nationalise it and sell it to the French.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2021
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

Nissan backs Sunderland plant as it announces £13billion investment in electric vehicles

"In Europe, Sunderland is the one which will take the lead towards electrification."

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/business/nissan-backs-sunderland-plant-as-it-announces-ps13billion-investment-in-electric-vehicles-3474806

Given Boris' current effectiveness level, they will probably nationalise it and sell it to the French.
    Vrroom vrrrooom.....or not as they will all be electric :-)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JBriskin3 said:

If Cooper-Balls makes it to the shadow cabinet then can we confirm that the Starmer is a true Blairite and the next GE is Game On.

No, that would be appointing Liz Kendall or Lord Mandelson or Ben Bradshaw.

Cooper-Balls were Brownites not Blarities
    That was back when there was a Blairite/Brownite division.

Now anyone right of Karl Marx is a dirty Blairite in the Labour Party.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Lady Nugee is the new Shadow Home Secretary.

Fantastic appointment.

Ha ha. She’s proper rubbish. Matron from the carry on films. 🤣
    That's what I love about PB. The sophisticated political insight.
    Over the weekend I was getting worried we might get a Labour government. Looks like Starmer has put that worry to death today 🙂
    If that is your idea of a witty repost you might be disappointed to know I am a (lapsed) Tory. If you are worried about a Labour government you should be concerned that Starmer might be putting serious people in shadow cabinet positions and making Johnson's government look even more lightweight and ridiculous than it does already. Surprised he hasn't done it before tbh. If he brings in Cooper and other people that don't scare floating voters then Peppa Pig might get the chance for a new full time brand ambassador
    This is a serious repost. Cooper ain’t no heavy weight, she just been around a long time that’s all. Don’t you think Cooper sounds horribly full of herself and that’s the reason Labour lose, too many people like that? Good politicians aren’t shouty or sharp and aggressive. Vince Cable never was, nor Nick Clegg. You’ve just got to calmly make the right case.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939

Good news for fans of Thornberry's return, Dan Hodges agrees with you -

@DPJHodges
    16m
    I actually think Emily Thornberry to Shadow Home Affairs is a good move. Whatever White Van baggage she might carry, she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.

The flags story was trivial bollocks. Who in their right mind would want to live next to that effing state of a house?

Still, it was a great gift on PB as I had hours of fun asking the usual pearl-clutching PB Tories whether they, or their wife, would be comfortable if their next-door neighbour decked the front of their house in England flags. Much twisting and pin-head dancing ensued.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,430
    DavidL said:

Also, seriously good news for the Red-Waller Tory MPs in County Durham and, down the road, in Ben Houchen's fiefdom of Teesside.

They will have some very tangible achievements to point to at the next GE.

Wherever Sir Keir is going to get his extra MPs from it's unlikely to be NE England.
  • Options

A very clever ad from the mid-80s not long after Sunderland opened:

https://fb.watch/9AE7Pf9JWu/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not sure about the return of Thornberry (not that she actually went away). She’s marmite.

Still, we can expect a bit more pressure on Patel now.

I think she's great in that (albeit ex-) Tory liking Labour politicians they would never in a million years vote for*.

*See entire Lab shadow cabinet.
    Is there a typo in that? I can’t work out what you are saying.
    Plenty of Tories on here say what a great politician and how big fans they are of XYZ Lab politician, and how they should be made leader of the Party but it's not going to translate into a vote for that politician and Party.
    It doesn't mean that the view is without merit. I loathe Johnson, but I am still not sure I want a Labour government, but I think I can identify people that are more able to make Labour electable. That might make me more inclined to not vote or vote LD or Monster Raving Loony etc. I think there were a lot of Tories who might not have voted for Johnson if they were not worried by Mr Thicky becoming PM. A Labour shadow cabinet that does not contain frothing left wing nutters is more likely to mean a Labour government, or at least a more emasculated Johnson.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

6/4 sounds good value on Tice beating 5%. I find him a bit of an airhead myself but I can imagine him giving good doorstep. So many of these 'populist right' characters give off a rather acrid aroma (as I imagine it) but Tice not so much. He's more 'man who'd charm you out of your pension lump sum', which is just what you want for a fringe party candidate in a by-election.

He went to Uppingham. Which I accept is a far cry from Haileybury but not a bad place, all things considered.
    And from there to the University of Salford to study Building which is in the blood being the grandson of property developer Bernard Sunley. Something of a whizzkid he was by the age of 28 the CEO of a substantial property business - The Sunley Group.
  • Options
    Thornberry?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha etc
  • Options
    edited November 2021

@DPJHodges
    16m
    I actually think Emily Thornberry to Shadow Home Affairs is a good move. Whatever White Van baggage she might carry, she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.

The flags story was trivial bollocks. Who in their right mind would want to live next to that effing state of a house?

Still, it was a great gift on PB as I had hours of fun asking the usual pearl-clutching PB Tories whether they, or their wife, would be comfortable if their next-door neighbour decked the front of their house in England flags. Much twisting and pin-head dancing ensued.
    The reason it stuck was a wider perception of a rather Mrs Bouquet element to the way she interacted with people. The terrible Onslows and their big flag.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

Fair point, but I note that you are another one who insists on calling a professional woman by her husband's name. Why? Did you refer to Ed Balls as Ed Cooper?
    I guess I might refer to Ed as Balls-Cooper?

In all honesty my style guide says I do that so that so that PB casuals are aware of the connection.
  • Options

The most shocking part of the thread header is that it uses the word penetration in the first paragraph and it wasn't written by @TheScreamingEagles

And preceded by 'I’ve just come across..'
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

“ she's a scrapper. And Labour need that in that brief.’

I don’t think that is the right way to go about a brief like that. Scrap on economics for sure, but not on many issues in home affairs brief.
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

Why call her by her husband's name?

Bizarre.
    Since my earliest days writing letters and reports I've addressed people by their highest title.

It is good manners.
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

Over the weekend I was getting worried we might get a Labour government. Looks like Starmer has put that worry to death today 🙂
    If that is your idea of a witty repost you might be disappointed to know I am a (lapsed) Tory. If you are worried about a Labour government you should be concerned that Starmer might be putting serious people in shadow cabinet positions and making Johnson's government look even more lightweight and ridiculous than it does already. Surprised he hasn't done it before tbh. If he brings in Cooper and other people that don't scare floating voters then Peppa Pig might get the chance for a new full time brand ambassador
    This is a serious repost. Cooper ain’t no heavy weight, she just been around a long time that’s all. Don’t you think Cooper sounds horribly full of herself and that’s the reason Labour lose, too many people like that? Good politicians aren’t shouty or sharp and aggressive. Vince Cable never was, nor Nick Clegg. You’ve just got to calmly make the right case.
    I think Cooper is a very talented politician. I can see you are far too partisan to be able to recognise it.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, at least you haven't done a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and ejaculated out of a window.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

6/4 sounds good value on Tice beating 5%. I find him a bit of an airhead myself but I can imagine him giving good doorstep. So many of these 'populist right' characters give off a rather acrid aroma (as I imagine it) but Tice not so much. He's more 'man who'd charm you out of your pension lump sum', which is just what you want for a fringe party candidate in a by-election.

He went to Uppingham. Which I accept is a far cry from Haileybury but not a bad place, all things considered.
    And from there to the University of Salford to study Building which is in the blood being the grandson of property developer Bernard Sunley. Something of a whizzkid he was by the age of 28 the CEO of a substantial property business - The Sunley Group.
    You're right. I prefer Old Haileyburians also. Less spivvy.
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

The reason it stuck was a wider perception of a rather Mrs Bouquet element to the way she interacted with people. The terrible Onslows and their big flag.
    Maybe so but the pearl-clutching and hypocrisy on here was a sight to behold.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,202

Seriously. Thornberry. Yet another north London hand-wringer.

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
    To be honest I thought he was okay. It’s lazy on here to save he was completely rubbish. He dressed smart. He spoke sensibly and clearly. On the news a lot last week. Wasn’t horribly opportunist about the issues in the channel like Nandy was over the weekend. He looked like a safe pair of hands for government.
    I pay way more attention to politics than about 90% of the population and if you had asked me this morning who the shadow Home Secretary was this morning I might have come up with Nick but no way I would have got the surname. Given that the Home Secretary is under the pump and, frankly, more than a tad obnoxious, that's not great.

I am sure that SKS wants people who can demand the attention of the media and sound punchy. He's right to the extent that is what opposition politicians need to do to be even noticed. Thornberry is not everyone's cup of tea but neither is Patel. She will certainly be heard.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

DavidL said:

Also, seriously good news for the Red-Waller Tory MPs in County Durham and, down the road, in Ben Houchen's fiefdom of Teesside.

They will have some very tangible achievements to point to at the next GE.

Wherever Sir Keir is going to get his extra MPs from it's unlikely to be NE England.
    I will wait to see what jobs arrive from the announcement as I really don't expect there to be that many.

As for Teesside - there is a big BP announcement today regarding Hydrogen. https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/the-uks-green-heart-bp-22300957

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,410
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Fair point, but I note that you are another one who insists on calling a professional woman by her husband's name. Why? Did you refer to Ed Balls as Ed Cooper?

In all honesty my style guide says I do that so that so that PB casuals are aware of the connection.
    What's the relevance of the connection, though?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Fantastic appointment.

I think Cooper is a very talented politician. I can see you are far too partisan to be able to recognise it.
    I wouldn't go quite that far, remember Philip Hammond used to duff her up regularly when he was her shadow (and nobody thinks Hammond was a heavyweight political bruiser) and her claim to fame in government was HIPS. However, by the current very low standards, she is significantly better than the average.
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

Or maybe we are both too partisan to be spot on.

You can start by listing her achievements. Maybe start with her leadership campaign.
  • Options
    On topic, in the run up to GE2015 I met an old friend who had defected from the Tories to UKIP and he was telling me about UKIP's awful campaigning and canvassing skills.

Only turning up a few weeks before election day, putting people down as definitive UKIP in their pledge books after one contact and then never recontacting them (ignoring the fact people lie/try and be polite/or just want you to bugger off).

He was surrounded by Kippers who genuinely thought they were going to win hundreds of seats at GE2015.

I don't think any Farage led/affiliated mob have quite mastered FPTP campaigning.
  • Options

Could Starmer not find a midlander or northerner who shares the priorities of voters in the seats we need to win? We need to out-Priti Priti on home affairs, and show that we would succeed where she is failing.

A bad appointment.

Out Priti Priti – what, be even more rightwing, thick and incompetent?

Not sure I agree.
    I quite liked Owen Jones' description of Patel as a 'pantomime authoritarian'.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,913

@DPJHodges
    16m

Her duel with Andrew Neil over Shamima Begum was entertaining

https://youtu.be/pA8nABHLQQA
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think Thornberry is a poor appointment, I would have had Yvette Cooper up against Priti Patel. Thornberry is exactly the kind of opponent Priti will want, someone she can paint as an out of touch liberal handwringing human rights loving lawyer who doesn't want to stop the boats but wants the UK to accept everyone and anyone and also encourage more boats.

The vast majority of people in the UK would like the boats to stop coming and for the UK to become a fortress, the Labour party should have seized on the government being out of step with the people, instead they've picked someone who will easily be painted as frustrating the efforts to stop the boats. I also think Thornberry is a liability and will try and imply that Priti Patel is racist or her parents could have been on the boats etc... which will go down extremely poorly with the country at large but get the twitter masturbators energised, further compounding Labour's policy and image problem on immigration.
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

I wouldn't go quite that far, remember Philip Hammond used to duff her up regularly when he was her shadow. However, by the current very low standards, she is significantly better than the average.
    I have seen her a few times on TV and one can't help wondering how a party can keep her on the backbenches and have Angela Rayner as deputy!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767

Fantastic appointment.

I wouldn't go quite that far, remember Philip Hammond used to duff her up regularly when he was her shadow. However, by the current very low standards, she is significantly better than the average.
    She's fine, and if I was Starmer I'd want her in the shadow cabinet.

Thornberry is a suprise though in my view. The switchers to the left switching back.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

@DPJHodges
    16m

Really? I'd have thought the easy answer was No, but I do not purport to be a political representative of the working classes.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Fantastic appointment.

I have seen her a few times on TV and one can't help wondering how a party can keep her on the backbenches and have Angela Rayner as deputy!
    Well yes, but that's politics for you. How did the former fireplace salesman get cabinet roles and stay there for so long despite absolutely everybody seeing he as totally useless, and when the Tories have / had far better individuals sitting around not doing anything.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359
    edited November 2021

Mr. Eagles, at least you haven't done a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and ejaculated out of a window.

I managed to get an ejaculate and great cleavage into a report once.

(Still proud of the fact the time I was challenged to get in references to at least a dozen Madness songs and album titles in a case management hearing conference preamble.)
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

Maybe, but let's face it, it was pretty minor when compared with a PM asking the CBI audience to put up their hands if they had been to Peppa Pigland.
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

Well yes, but that's politics for you. How did the former fireplace salesman get cabinet roles and stay there for so long, when the Tories have / had far better individuals sitting around not doing anything.
    Quite! Don't get me started on the bloke who is PM!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

This absolutely spot on. In one move alone votes lost where needed in Wales with no useful votes gained in London.
    Also silly for Labour to shadow home office with left winger, Nandy should do it being most right winger in cabinet.
    I live in Wales and I couldn't tell you who or what Nick Thomas-Symonds looks or sounds like. And now I need never know.
    To be honest I thought he was okay. It’s lazy on here to save he was completely rubbish. He dressed smart. He spoke sensibly and clearly. On the news a lot last week. Wasn’t horribly opportunist about the issues in the channel like Nandy was over the weekend. He looked like a safe pair of hands for government.
    I pay way more attention to politics than about 90% of the population and if you had asked me this morning who the shadow Home Secretary was this morning I might have come up with Nick but no way I would have got the surname. Given that the Home Secretary is under the pump and, frankly, more than a tad obnoxious, that's not great.

I am sure that SKS wants people who can demand the attention of the media and sound punchy. He's right to the extent that is what opposition politicians need to do to be even noticed. Thornberry is not everyone's cup of tea but neither is Patel. She will certainly be heard.
    I know what you are saying, but I think it’s wrong. Opposition shadows you get to hear about when they have made a mistake. It’s just not that easy, because what gets thrown at them whenever they attack in Parliament or in tv debate, what’s your policy then?

There is no real votes in attacking in opposition, only in laying out and explaining policy positions.

• Options
    The question is surely why Starmer is reshuffling. I don't believe for a moment it's to bring Cooper or Thornbery on board. There must be something else.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021

@DPJHodges
    16m

I'd quite happily live next to that house.

Absolutely no qualms with my neighbours flying flags. On my street I've got multiple neighbours who routinely fly flags, including one permanently flying a Unite flag. I've got many more who fly them during England tournaments and I've done so myself. Doesn't bother me at all, live and let live.

Anyone bothered by that needs to get their head out of their arse. Do you whinge about neighbours putting Christmas or Halloween decorations out too? Miserable gits.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

The question is surely why Starmer is reshuffling. I don't believe for a moment it's to bring Cooper or Thornbery on board. There must be something else.

That is what I wondered. Strange timing.
  • Options

(Still proud of the fact the time I was challenged to get in references to at least a dozen Madness songs and album titles in a case management hearing conference preamble.)
    A few years ago I listened to audio books of Hercule Poirot when travelling. I was quite surprised how often Hastings ejaculated.
  • Options

Slotting in Return of the Los Palmas 7 and Night Boat to Cairo must have been a tall order.
  • Options
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, he has a rather '80s aura. Very Howard's Way.
    Ha, yes, totally. Can just see him oiling around Avril and trying to 'restructure' her finances. He's Ken Masters with hair.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

They're married.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,154
    Apologies if point already made, but if both Labour and ReformUK do well, then it has the potential to reduce the share of the vote required to win to below 40%.
  • Options
    The feet draggers up in a couple of minutes to tell us if everybody can have a booster....
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,879
    For those watching the Labour shadow cabinet reshuffle fiendishly, it appears Nick Thomas-Symonds is being removed from Home Secretary, but will not be replaced by Emily Thornberry. Yvette Cooper is the obvious bet for that job... but only if she can be coaxed back.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1465333022857875465
  • Options

Omnium said:

If Keir thought he had left the job unfinished before, then finishing it now doesn't have to correlate with anything in particular, IMO.

But perhaps there is a reason.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, there was something in F1 like this a while ago... it wasn't doughnuts (too easy) but I'm pretty sure the commentary team had a bet on whether Karun Chandhok could get something like 'chocolate éclair' in.

Anyway, I should be off.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

"PB casuals"

I didn't realise that we had a hooligan firm associated with the site.

Do they organise fights with the Order-Order Service Crew?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think Thornberry is a poor appointment, I would have had Yvette Cooper up against Priti Patel. Thornberry is exactly the kind of opponent Priti will want, someone she can paint as an out of touch liberal handwringing human rights loving lawyer who doesn't want to stop the boats but wants the UK to accept everyone and anyone and also encourage more boats.

The vast majority of people in the UK would like the boats to stop coming and for the UK to become a fortress, the Labour party should have seized on the government being out of step with the people, instead they've picked someone who will easily be painted as frustrating the efforts to stop the boats. I also think Thornberry is a liability and will try and imply that Priti Patel is racist or her parents could have been on the boats etc... which will go down extremely poorly with the country at large but get the twitter masturbators energised, further compounding Labour's policy and image problem on immigration.

Tom Newton Dunn saying Thornberry will not be shadow home secretary
  • Options

Fantastic appointment.

I don’t think you are right in that Starmer asked her to join and she declined, because she is committee head not merely back bench. Same with Benn. It was committee head that kept her out of shadcab I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Omnium said:

If Keir thought he had left the job unfinished before, then finishing it now doesn't have to correlate with anything in particular, IMO.

But perhaps there is a reason.
    Given all the COVID stuff and Christmas holidays coming up, it looks a bit naval gazing. Why not just do it over Christmas.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

I know what you are saying, but I think it’s wrong. Opposition shadows you get to hear about when they have made a mistake. It’s just not that easy, because what gets thrown at them whenever they attack in Parliament or in tv debate, what’s your policy then?

There is no real votes in attacking in opposition, only in laying out and explaining policy positions.

I still vividly remember a very young looking Tony Blair appearing on Newsnight on Black Wednesday. as City Minister. He showed a clear understanding of the problems, just the right amount of sympathy for Ministers in real difficulty and clear bullet point answers. The Cabinet Minister up with him looked a bumbling incompetent by comparison. I remember thinking I have just seen a political masterclass and this guy is going to be a real challenge. Thornberry is not close to that but she's still way better than the vast majority of the shadow cabinet.

I agree that being an attack dog is not enough but you need to show competence and a clear alternative, even if the details are (understandably) missing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

A bad appointment.

Out Priti Priti – what, be even more rightwing, thick and incompetent?

Not sure I agree.
    I quite liked Owen Jones' description of Patel as a 'pantomime authoritarian'.
    Has anyone got a clip that demonstrates this?

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=388302315550063&_rdr
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Of course not. At last someone agrees with me the ideals silly.

Tom who?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

A shorter lived appointment than the first female Swedish Prime Minister.
  • Options
    JVT up....wonder what footy analogy we will get.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

"PB casuals"

No, we go to first class lounges of airports and trash them.

Ask Charles for the next dust up location and time.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Which makes sense, Labour should have come to the same conclusion I did.
  • Options
    Why is JVT wearing an MCC tie?
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

Absolutely no qualms with my neighbours flying flags. On my street I've got multiple neighbours who routinely fly flags, including one permanently flying a Unite flag. I've got many more who fly them during England tournaments and I've done so myself. Doesn't bother me at all, live and let live.

Anyone bothered by that needs to get their head out of their arse. Do you whinge about neighbours putting Christmas or Halloween decorations out too? Miserable gits.
    Bully for you. The guy who decked his house in England flags did so in November 2014 – nothing to do with a major football tournament. It looked a right state and most people would be unhappy to have to live next to it.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,410
    JBriskin3 said:

Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

They're married.
    HYUFD, is that you? :wink:

I'm aware of the nature of the connection (as I assume most PBers would be). Just to me the fact she's married to Ed Balls doesn't tell me anything other than she is married to Ed Balls. I judge her on her track record in politics, cabinet, shadow cabinet, failed leadership bid... (FWIW, I think she's a reasonably solid minister/shadow minister, don't think she'd be a good leader).

I'm not trying to get at you here, not bothered particularly that you did refer to her as Cooper-Balls. Just interested as to why you think it's relevant, as you seemed to think it was important to be aware of the connection..
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Of course not. At last someone agrees with me the ideals silly.

Tom who?
    Presenter of T & G and chief political commentator, columnist @EveningStandard
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

I still vividly remember a very young looking Tony Blair appearing on Newsnight on Black Wednesday. as City Minister. He showed a clear understanding of the problems, just the right amount of sympathy for Ministers in real difficulty and clear bullet point answers. The Cabinet Minister up with him looked a bumbling incompetent by comparison. I remember thinking I have just seen a political masterclass and this guy is going to be a real challenge. Thornberry is not close to that but she's still way better than the vast majority of the shadow cabinet.

I agree that being an attack dog is not enough but you need to show competence and a clear alternative, even if the details are (understandably) missing.
    If you're thinking of this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8lhtknnuSU&ab_channel=PhilipReed

It was in 1987. By Black Wednesday Blair was shadow Home Secretary.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We need to be even tougher on asylum seekers
    - We need to stop mask mandates and avoid any talk of lockdowns
    - We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.

"Save our boilers!"
    There's actually a whole catalogue of selectively crowd pleasing policies where a true poujadist party could make hay with a certain part of the middle aged male vote. Cut the extortionate fuel duty, no more annoying speed bumps, get rid of road-narrowing cycle lanes (and the bus lanes while they're at it), ditch those mad health and safety rules, bring anything you want to the tip, liberalise those pesky building regs etc.
    Surprised that Reform are not going big on 'No Gents in the Ladies!"

Or are they?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Boosters for everyone after 3 months now - look forward to the details, sounds like a bun fight for bookings if true.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

@DPJHodges
    16m

Really? I'd have thought the easy answer was No, but I do not purport to be a political representative of the working classes.
    That would have been a fair and intelligent response, yes – had anyone made it.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Boosters for everyone after 3 months now - look forward to the details, sounds like a bun fight for bookings if true.

< SMUG BASTARD MODE ON >

I've already been triple jabbed since the start of October.

< SMUG BASTARD MODE OFF >
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

"PB casuals"

Very good - I just meant people who weren't as clued up as PB Tories tend to be.

I have to do a run to the shop now to pick up my beer so I won't be able to reply to any response that quickly.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Need to get our appointments booked in ASAP!
  • Options
    Jonathan Van Tam

Not all doom and gloom and do not want people to panic at this stage
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,325

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

"PB casuals"

No. no. no.

Private jet lounge.

First Class is full of Head Count, these days.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Which makes sense, Labour should have come to the same conclusion I did.
    I'd prefer Coops – she is completely wasted on the back benches.
  • Options
    Game on.

"I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023"

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tells SNP conference her party will make "the positive case" for Scottish independence

https://bbc.in/3d1nz7q
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Its bog roll panic + black friday.....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,154
    Tice is an interesting surname. Google suggests five different origins in the first four search results.

My favourite naturally being the goatherd.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,563
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

If Tice does well what will the (no doubt still victorious) Tories take as a lesson from the result:

- We need to be even tougher on asylum seekers
    - We need to stop mask mandates and avoid any talk of lockdowns
    - We should cut taxes?

All 3 of those are conceivable reasons for a voter in Bexley to put a cross in the Reform box - the first because its antecedents include UKIP and the Brexit Party, the second because of its actual policy platform, or the 3rd by some wider interpretation of a vote for a Thatcherite/Poujadist businessman in a Southern seat.

"Save our boilers!"
    There's actually a whole catalogue of selectively crowd pleasing policies where a true poujadist party could make hay with a certain part of the middle aged male vote. Cut the extortionate fuel duty, no more annoying speed bumps, get rid of road-narrowing cycle lanes (and the bus lanes while they're at it), ditch those mad health and safety rules, bring anything you want to the tip, liberalise those pesky building regs etc.
    Surprised that Reform are not going big on 'No Gents in the Ladies!"

Or are they?
    Probably too niche for them as it's largely an intra-female argument. I suspect they'd be more "no ladies in the clubhouse".
  • Options

Tice is an interesting surname. Google suggests five different origins in the first four search results.

My favourite naturally being the goatherd.

We've probably all got goatherders in our DNA.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

Selebian said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

They're married.
    HYUFD, is that you? :wink:

I'm aware of the nature of the connection (as I assume most PBers would be). Just to me the fact she's married to Ed Balls doesn't tell me anything other than she is married to Ed Balls. I judge her on her track record in politics, cabinet, shadow cabinet, failed leadership bid... (FWIW, I think she's a reasonably solid minister/shadow minister, don't think she'd be a good leader).

I'm not trying to get at you here, not bothered particularly that you did refer to her as Cooper-Balls. Just interested as to why you think it's relevant, as you seemed to think it was important to be aware of the connection..
    Gov ministers don't have to come from MPs

If Carrie got appointed Home Sec would that bother you?

Now, with that, I do really need to go on my beer run.
  • Options

Game on.

"I will initiate the process necessary to enable a referendum before the end of 2023"

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tells SNP conference her party will make "the positive case" for Scottish independence

Might be a GE before then
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

If you're thinking of this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8lhtknnuSU&ab_channel=PhilipReed

It was in 1987. By Black Wednesday Blair was shadow Home Secretary.
    Yes that is it. Even longer ago than I thought. But wow, he was good.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, he has a rather '80s aura. Very Howard's Way.
    Ha, yes, totally. Can just see him oiling around Avril and trying to 'restructure' her finances. He's Ken Masters with hair.
    Reminds me of a "used car salesman" Tory a la Thatchers Conservative party.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

Can confirm the website still tells you to **** off if too young.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I can promise you that the more the govt talks about new restrictions the more I am going to look to see where RefUK is standing.

🎶 Wearing a mask is like trying to keep a fart in your trousers 🎶
    Ah good, somebody HAS seen it.

Christmas number 1 is the aim, I think.
    A Christmas no 2 would indicate that they've followed through.
    That's a cracker. :smile:

But seriously, what chutzpah to film an anti-mask protest song whilst maskless on the Tube where the rules say you're meant to wear one.

It's just a total 'up yours' to Khan and the rest of his establishment gang.
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

Bully for you. The guy who decked his house in England flags did so in November 2014 – nothing to do with a major football tournament. It looked a right state and most people would be unhappy to have to live next to it.
    Why?

We've got a neighbour who moans about other people's houses. She's full of shit in my opinion and so is anyone (I doubt its "most people") who get upset about other people's homes.

However people want to decorate their own home is up to them. Variety is the spice of life.

Curtain twitching busybodies need to get a life.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

They'll probably change it on Friday evening.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

I imagine it will get updated overnight tonight.
  • Options

Game on.

That can't be right. PB Peppa fans have assured me that Nippy has no interest in ever holding such a referendum.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

MaxPB said:

maaarsh said:

They'll probably change it on Friday evening.
    Hopefully they don't wait all week.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

"PB casuals"

No. no. no.

Private jet lounge.

First Class is full of Head Count, these days.
    Lounge? You mean you don't get taken direct to the plane?
  • Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

We've got a neighbour who moans about other people's houses. She's full of shit in my opinion and so is anyone (I doubt its "most people") who get upset about other people's homes.

However people want to decorate their own home is up to them. Variety is the spice of life.

Bully for you if you (and your wife!) have such accommodating attitudes. I can tell you that they aren't widely shared. Most people don't want their streets to look a right state. But, each to their own.
  • Options

Game on.

That can't be right. PB Peppa fans have assured me that Nippy has no interest in ever holding such a referendum.
    She is playing you
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Now if they hadn't dicked around with not doing kids and being so strict on it having to be exactly 6 months before you could book a booster. The target should have always been to get at least all the over 40s done before the winter kicks in.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A bad appointment.

I really like your post there David.
    The first rule of politics is not attack, just explain your position on issues. So you are measuring their talent in how well they communicate this. And acknowledging something had gone wrong not because your opposite number is stupid, but because some things that come up are difficult, is a master stroke in sounding fair and thoughtful. Attack merely siren Calls you down the stupid road Nandy choose to go down at the weekend. It’s leads to a dead end where you have lost the voters because you don’t actually have any answers. Boris knows it well, he is currently head butting the wall of that dead end.

Labour need policies and good calm communicators, not finger jabbers like Cooper or bruisers like maaaaaatron. 🤣

• Options

@DPJHodges
    16m

Why?

Bully for you if you (and your wife!) have such accommodating attitudes. I can tell you that they aren't widely shared. Most people don't want their streets to look a right state. But, each to their own.
    As I said, there's multiple people who regularly fly flags on my street and nobody kicks off a stink about it.

"Each to their own" is the polar opposite of being a curtain twitching busybody whinging about other people's homes.
  • Options

Game on.

There is no process. The recent debacle in the Supreme Court confirmed that things "related to" a reserved issue fell within it. She cannot enable a referendum.

Of course, there are in my view compelling tactical reasons why the UK government should not stand in her way and allow this and a strong democratic argument that it would be wrong to do so. But there is no process and she has no control over the timetable. She's a fantasist. Not quite in the same league as Kate Forbes but a fantasist all the same.
This discussion has been closed.