Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some by-election sensations from yesteryear – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageSome by-election sensations from yesteryear – politicalbetting.com

The above chart from Wikipedia makes the point simply and clearly – Westminster by-elections can produce outcomes with massive swings that can be hard to predict. It is one of the reasons why I love them and my only current regret is that the media seems to be giving less attention than they used to.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,965
    edited November 2021
    Seven of those have happened during PB's lifetime.
  • JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Second - like the type I tend to bet on when I'm calling a by-election.
  • Oddly, the 2003 Brent by election was the only one which saw a change in a party leader.

Really freaked out the Tories.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

SNHS being inapproriate with data sharing?

No surprise from me (4 times sectioned since 2011 [3 if you don't count the "voluntary" one])

If you don’t mind me asking, do you think, with a clear head - in hindsight - sectioning was appropriate? Presumably the authorities considered you a danger to yourself - do you now think that assessment was correct?

Genuine question (and fair enough if you don’t want to discuss it publicly on a forum).

I find peoples level headed assessments of their previous mental health episodes quite interesting and useful. Often, eg, in documentaries, we get people looking back on their mental health episodes and expressing gratitude at the way they were “handled” - was that your experience?
    I'll continue this on the next thread if you like - just post that again on new thread.

Hi
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited November 2021
    Which seat (in whole or substantial) has had the most by-elections?
  • Which seat (in whole or substantial) that has had the most by-elections?

Orpington?
    ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

No surprise from me (4 times sectioned since 2011 [3 if you don't count the "voluntary" one])

If you don’t mind me asking, do you think, with a clear head - in hindsight - sectioning was appropriate? Presumably the authorities considered you a danger to yourself - do you now think that assessment was correct?

Genuine question (and fair enough if you don’t want to discuss it publicly on a forum).

I find peoples level headed assessments of their previous mental health episodes quite interesting and useful. Often, eg, in documentaries, we get people looking back on their mental health episodes and expressing gratitude at the way they were “handled” - was that your experience?
    I'll continue this on the next thread if you like - just post that again on new thread.

Hi
    OK-

I gave up trying to plead my sanity to the authorties after I had a Compulsary Treatment Order given to me by a Mental Health Tribunal.

In one of the four occasions I was sectioned I admit I did have some strange thoughts in my head - but I'd already been sectioned 3 times by then.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Er...

'a county where they used to have a seat and it is a brave punter who goes against them.'

They held Ludlow, a very different seat from North Shropshire, for four years from 2001 to 2005.

That's the only time they've held a seat in Shropshire (excluding the double defection of Paul Marsden) since 1906.

It would be a very brave punter who would bet in favour of them.

Orpington?
    genuinely do not know so asking the question. Although I have in the back of my mind there was a lot of northern irish by elections due to hunger striking?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Which seat (in whole or substantial) that has had the most by-elections?

Orpington?
    Only had two. Some of the seats listed here have had three in a single parliament:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Seats_with_more_than_one_by-election_in_a_single_Parliament
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Orpington?
    genuinely do not know so asking the question. Although I have in the back of my mind there was a lot of northern irish by elections due to hunger striking?
    I quite like Stark Dawning's (I presume guess). However I'd go for something more middle England (Older MP's more turnover).

Orpington?
    There were also 15 by elections in one day (23rd January 1986) over the Anglo-Irish Agreement.

Orpington?
    The Northern Ireland by-elections would not have had swings big enough to put them into this list

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

Hi
    OK-

I gave up trying to plead my sanity to the authorties after I had a Compulsary Treatment Order given to me by a Mental Health Tribunal.

In one of the four occasions I was sectioned I admit I did have some strange thoughts in my head - but I'd already been sectioned 3 times by then.
    You take good care of yourself and be kind to yourself

My family has experience of serious mental health issues, and it is so important that you do know help is available and everyone on here should be supportive

All the very best
    Thanks Big G - I take my meds everyday which isn't much of a hassle for me and appears to keep them placated.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Good question, not really googlable. I'd say any more than 3 would be exceptional.
  • JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

Hi
    OK-

My family has experience of serious mental health issues, and it is so important that you do know help is available and everyone on here should be supportive

All the very best
    Thanks Big G - I take my meds everyday which isn't much of a hassle for me and appears to keep them placated.
    My wife and daughter both successfully take daily maintenance doses, and have for many years
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

Er...

'a county where they used to have a seat and it is a brave punter who goes against them.'

They held Ludlow, a very different seat from North Shropshire, for four years from 2001 to 2005.

That's the only time they've held a seat in Shropshire (excluding the double defection of Paul Marsden) since 1906.

Can you highlight a by-election campaign when the LDs went full throttle and lost? There is one.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited November 2021

Orpington?
    There were 15 in one day in the 80's when all the Unionists resigned.
    Think Bobby Sands was the only hunger striker. And lasted 25 days. The shortest ever.

Edit. See @ydoethur covered the first bit.
  • kinabalu said:

Good question, not really googlable. I'd say any more than 3 would be exceptional.
    Bootle had two in 1990 so could be high on the 'all time' list.

ydoethur said:

Er...

Can you highlight a by-election campaign when the LDs went full throttle and lost?
    Without too much thought, Oldham East and Saddleworth.
  • kinabalu said:

Can anyone beat Corby which had four different MPs between March 2010 and May 2015?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,065

kinabalu said:

Batley and Spen of recent times. Leicester South has had two in the last two decades, including a Lib Dem win.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

A related question: which seat has gone the longest since it’s last by-election? Are there any that have never had one? (Obviously squinting for boundary changes here)
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

Can you highlight a by-election campaign when the LDs went full throttle and lost?
    Which I don't count as a by-election as it was forced by the previous election being overturned. Whenever that happens the excluded winner always wins again much bigger
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

I should have said against the Tories. On a technical point OES was not a by-election. The general election outcome had been voided by the courts.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

Which I don't count as a by-election as it was forced by the previous election being overturned. Whenever that happens the excluded winner always wins again much bigger
    All right then, Bromley and Chislehurst.

Or more recently, Witney.
  • I fully expect the stewards to decide to put Hamilton to the back of the grid for reasons.

Max Verstappen called to the stewards for allegedly not respecting double waved yellow flags at the end of qualifying

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1462114140152115203

ydoethur said:

Er...

Can you highlight a by-election campaign when the LDs went full throttle and lost? There is one.
    It's all very well though to be able to win at a by-election. The LDs are hopeless at winning in General elections. I think I'm a natural Tory/LD swing voter, but I've never voted other than Tory. I would have voted for the coalition rather than Tory though if I'd had the choice.

I have to say that my current view of the LDs is very negative. Davey is awful. There's some light in that Hobhouse is good.

The LDs are going to let the Greens eat them up and destroy them. It should be Labour that is so mired.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

The best example of this being Winchester 1997 when the majority went from 2 to 21,656!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

kinabalu said:

Can anyone beat Corby which had four different MPs between March 2010 and May 2015?
    Don’t start me on Louise f***ing Bradshawe.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    Red Card for Australia in the Wales match. Only 15min in. Ouch!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

Not accelerating. Signs the mini-blip might be running out of steam.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Yes, cases growth in England down from about 20% to under 10% and falling. If that continues by the middle of next week cases will be falling again.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,965
    edited November 2021
    Well now, on an article about the new Premier League chairman.

Tony Blair, the former Labour prime minister, was mentioned by one figure at a recent shareholders’ meeting as someone who would be a suitable candidate. Another source implied that the Premier League could also look overseas for a potential replacement, citing how the Bank of England appointed the Canadian Mark Carney as its governor in 2013.

Blair, not that it will happen, is seen as the level of figure they need to go to during their search for a new chair. They need someone who can galvanise the 20 clubs and bring them all back together, while also knowing how to keep key stakeholders satisfied.

But given Hoffman’s perceived lack of understanding when it came to knowing how the football industry operates, there would be an expectation that his successor — if they are from overseas — will need to know the inner machinations of how to handle a global sporting organisation. “Definitely not another banker!” a club executive joked.

https://theathletic.com/2965668/2021/11/20/hoffman-resignation-what-comes-next-premier-league-chairman/

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

I should have said against the Tories. On a technical point OES was not a by-election. The general election outcome had been voided by the courts.
    I hear goalposts being moved. I have in any case responded elsewhere.

On the substantive point, can you justify the statement I quoted, which as I pointed out was technically true but somewhat misleading?

The last time the Liberals won this seat was in 1904. They have come second once since the merger with the SDP. This is a seat where demography has been steadily moving against them, as their voters were mainly Welsh-speaking chapel goers who have declined in number to the extent it took a long time on an earlier thread to convince people that they existed at all.

Why do you think that will change?
    edited November 2021
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Who the f*** was she? A maths teacher, good on the times tables?
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was rather good wasn't she? :)

(And actually she was. Far better than the Long-Baileys or Burgons)
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Er...

The best example of this being Winchester 1997 when the majority went from 2 to 21,656!
    People don't like being told that they voted wrong.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620

Tony Blair, the former Labour prime minister, was mentioned by one figure at a recent shareholders’ meeting as someone who would be a suitable candidate. Another source implied that the Premier League could also look overseas for a potential replacement, citing how the Bank of England appointed the Canadian Mark Carney as its governor in 2013.

Blair, not that it will happen, is seen as the level of figure they need to go to during their search for a new chair. They need someone who can galvanise the 20 clubs and bring them all back together, while also knowing how to keep key stakeholders satisfied.

But given Hoffman’s perceived lack of understanding when it came to knowing how the football industry operates, there would be an expectation that his successor — if they are from overseas — will need to know the inner machinations of how to handle a global sporting organisation. “Definitely not another banker!” a club executive joked.

https://theathletic.com/2965668/2021/11/20/hoffman-resignation-what-comes-next-premier-league-chairman/

I'm not sure that the Premier League would lower their standards *that* far.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

The 20 clubs won't unite while Saudi Arabia own one of them. There's a lot of anger about the situation and ideally the related party transactions and fair market value sponsorship regulations are brought through and pushed up to UEFA.
  • Well now, on an article about the new Premier League chairman.

I'm not sure that the Premier League would lower their standards *that* far.
    If it happens what price the PL TV rights will go for in Iraq?
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Never having f***ed any of them, I couldn't comment but I will take your word for it as a gentleman.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was an one of Cameron's A-listers - a chick-lit novelist who posted here a few times. Before her infamy as a "platinum grade troll"
    MaxPB said:

Yes, cases growth in England down from about 20% to under 10% and falling. If that continues by the middle of next week cases will be falling again.
    Running the numbers - will be interesting to see what the age groups are doing.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Who the f*** was she? A maths teacher, good one the times tables?
    Actually Louise Bagshawe, elected in 2010 for Corby and then quit a couple of years later and the seat was lost to Labour. She was also a ‘vivid’ PB poster (not under own name) for a while prior to her election but flounced off for some reason
    JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was an one of Cameron's A-listers - a chick-lit novelist who posted here a few times. Before her infamy as a "platinum grade troll"
    Groan.

She was Louise *Bagshawe*.

I was making an awesome pun over Sandpit's typo on her name.

Next time I shall not bother with subtlety.
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

It just grates ever so slightly, when you spend weeks knocking doors for someone, when that person then decides after a couple of years that they just couldn’t be arsed to be an MP any more. Grr…..
    JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I really disagree here. She is/was a really intelligent politician. I have no idea about the internet media crap.
    ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Groan.

Yeah - I realised that it was mispelled - was just trying to inform the casuals/lurkers/younglings that -

MENSCH has posted here.
    ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Groan.

Ah yes, I couldn’t even be arsed to remember her name correctly.
  • Last manager to get into a spat with Klopp was that useless tosser Frank Lampard, who got sacked later.
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Actually Louise Bagshawe, elected in 2010 for Corby and then quit a couple of years later and the seat was lost to Labour. She was also a ‘vivid’ PB poster (not under own name) for a while prior to her election but flounced off for some reason
    She did post under here under her own name - If her own name was Louise Bagshawe
    JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Groan.

Yeah - I realised that it was mispelled - was just trying to inform the casuals/lurkers/younglings that -

MENSCH has posted here.
    She chicked us out and lit things up.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Reading some of the earlier thread.

This comment by @Foxy stood out:

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including [anti-Semitism]. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments."

This after he said that it was only anti-Semitism after all.

Time to roll out David Baddiel's book again:

Jews Don’t Count is a searing look at why anti-Semitism is often seen as a lesser form of racism, with a particular focus on the political left. To be Jewish, explains Baddiel, is to be subject to the contradictory belief that “Jews are somehow both sub-human and humanity’s secret masters”. Anti-semitic tropes are everywhere – yet, he argues, few of those who consider themselves alert to racism notice, let alone care.
    Also well done @malcolmg for tipping Buzz over another posters tips which were beaten one soundly.
    Apparently there is a delegation from FIFA at the Grand Prix in Qatar this weekend.

Presumably FIFA are learning from the FIA about how big events go down in small Gulf states, and the FIA are learning standards of propriety and excellence in sporting governance from FIFA…
  • JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Was she Tim?
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I really disagree here. She is/was a really intelligent politician. I have no idea about the internet media crap.
    I'm a Mensch fan - I was referencing the fact the fact that there was a point where when if you typed her name into google it would literally have her listed as a "Platinum Grade Troll"
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

It just grates ever so slightly, when you spend weeks knocking doors for someone, when that person then decides after a couple of years that they just couldn’t be arsed to be an MP any more. Grr…..
    Yes fair enough.

I guess when you exit politics there's always going to be someone who's trust you trample on a bit.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    TOPPING said:

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including [anti-Semitism]. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments."

Jews Don’t Count is a searing look at why anti-Semitism is often seen as a lesser form of racism, with a particular focus on the political left. To be Jewish, explains Baddiel, is to be subject to the contradictory belief that “Jews are somehow both sub-human and humanity’s secret masters”. Anti-semitic tropes are everywhere – yet, he argues, few of those who consider themselves alert to racism notice, let alone care.

+1.

• The health secretary has begun a review into racial bias in medical equipment amid fears that thousands of ethnic-minority patients died of Covid-19 who should have survived.

Sajid Javid is working with his American counterpart, Xavier Becerra, on introducing new international standards to ensure that medical devices have been tested on all races before they are allowed to be sold.

He has commissioned the review after research showed that oximeters, which monitor oxygen levels in the blood and are used to assess whether Covid-19 patients need lifesaving treatment, are less accurate on people with darker skin.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sajid-javid-orders-racial-bias-review-after-covid-deaths-wxtsbsxdc
    JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I'm a Mensch fan - I was referencing the fact the fact that there was a point where when if you typed her name into google it would literally have her listed as a "Platinum Grade Troll"
    Please don't type my name into google then.
  • Arteta winding up Klopp and the Kop worked out well for Arteta.
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was viscerally loathed in Northants. Which normally wouldn't give a politician pause for thought save for the fact that she was the MP there.
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I've never been that keen on google - whay over rated if you ask me.
    TOPPING said:

That's unfair. The Modern Left have nearly no one left they are allowed to express hatred of. You have to leave them *something*. Otherwise they might burst.....
    OK, just thinking about this comment 'a county where they used to hold a seat:'

Is there any county where the Liberal Democrats have never won a seat?

Offhand I can think of Staffordshire and Durham.
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

“Multiple race track cycling event” ?
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was viscerally loathed in Northants. Which normally wouldn't give a politician pause for thought save for the fact that she was the MP there.
    So presumably not always loathed given she got elected.
    Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

“Multiple race track cycling event” ?
    You bastard. They're now on to me!
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was actually interesting and bright. Possibly had some ideas that weren’t palatable to the mainstream but I think she was a great loss to the Tories.

I always weirdly wonder if she was too “attractive” or “cool” (not in a trad sense of cool”) as she didn’t fit the mould of a “typical” female politician. To female voters I imagine (from maybe a totally sexist perspective that needs Re-education) she was good looking, articulate, had a life outside politics and so an existential threat. To certain male voters maybe they would never take her seriously because she was young and “hot”.

I imagine her life is infinitely better and more enjoyable outside politics but I think compared to most who are in it it’s a loss to us she left.
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

No. Absolutely. But they felt she had betrayed their trust.
    UK cases by specimen date

TOPPING said:

Are you going to read it or just keep quoting that precis?
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

TOPPING said:

That's unfair. The Modern Left have nearly no one left they are allowed to express hatred of. You have to leave them *something*. Otherwise they might burst.....
    That is true. But @Foxy's casual dismissal of it just goes to show how Baddiel's book is so on the money. So to speak.
    UK Local R

• ydoethur said:

As LDs ie since 1988 no wins in Kent.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087
    TOPPING said:

How much sympathy any given group in society gets from at least a large fraction of left-wingers depends on the relative positions occupied on the ladder of oppression by those under attack and those doing the attacking. For example, anti-semitism, feminism and gay rights all go out the window when addressing (or not) the behaviour of various Palestinian liberation groups. Or working for Iranian propaganda television.
    Case summary

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

Hi
    OK-

All the very best
    Good luck with getting much help from NHS.
    Hospitals

UK deaths

• pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited November 2021
    ManU news;

Sunday times suggesting olexit imminent.

Emergency board meeting @7pm to discuss compensation terms.
    Age related data

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

No. Absolutely. But they felt she had betrayed their trust.
    Responding to @boulay too.

I thought, and I still think, that she was a good politician, and that it was a shame she retreated. I'd certainly hope that she's happy in whatever she's doing now.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    TOPPING said:

Also well done @malcolmg for tipping Buzz over another posters tips which were beaten one soundly.

Thank you Topping.
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Are you going to read it or just keep quoting that precis?
    Probably useful for the future of the Left if you and @Foxy read it. Uncomfortable as it may be for you both.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145

ydoethur said:

Surely quite a few in the Scottish central belt? Midlothian in Scotland, to take just one example, was solid Labour for much further back than I can think, being a mining area, and then SNP/Labour. Or the Welsh valleys?
  • ping said:

ManU news;

Story here, looks like they want to Zidane.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-board-call-emergency-meeting-to-discuss-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-future-as-manager-gr0j9v5ht

ydoethur said:

We're up to three. Any more?

I'm thinking incidentally that's the only south coast county not to have returned a Liberal Democrat MP.
    pigeon said:

TOPPING said:

How much sympathy any given group in society gets from at least a large fraction of left-wingers depends on the relative positions occupied on the ladder of oppression by those under attack and those doing the attacking. For example, anti-semitism, feminism and gay rights all go out the window when addressing (or not) the behaviour of various Palestinian liberation groups. Or working for Iranian propaganda television.
    Indeed they do.
    malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    Have I missed a winning 4 legger from you, Malcolm?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'm thinking incidentally that's the only south coast county not to have returned a Liberal Democrat MP.
    I nominate Suffolk, Lincs, Northants, Notts, Leics (and Rutland,) and South and East Yorks. But I dare say you lot will prove me wrong.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited November 2021
    TOPPING said:

Buzz was brilliant, Song For Someone went pretty well though?

But did you see how much turf was flying up behind buzz? It was like me enjoying myself in puddles in my boots. Can you explain it?

All the much tighter favourites were beaten quite soundly in the race at Haydock, I think it wasn’t run fast enough for them.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

ping said:

ManU news;

Story here, looks like they want to Zidane.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-board-call-emergency-meeting-to-discuss-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-future-as-manager-gr0j9v5ht
    As someone who laid Ole at 1/3 next out after the Liverpool thrashing I'm a tad tempted by the 1/8 now, but tbh it's so hard to see who would go before him and Utd have surely run out of patience. Even so, I am a tad tempted. The Sack Race is so hard to predict sometimes and those are very short odds.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Surely quite a few in the Scottish central belt? Midlothian in Scotland, to take just one example, was solid Labour for much further back than I can think, being a mining area, and then SNP/Labour. Or the Welsh valleys?
    Indeed, if you add in Scotland and Wales then you should get a lot of extra examples, depending on exactly which set of boundaries you're counting.
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I nominate Suffolk, Lincs, Northants, Notts, Leics (and Rutland,) and South and East Yorks. But I dare say you lot will prove me wrong.
    To be honest when LD MPs turn up in the post it's best to send them back.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

That is true. But @Foxy's casual dismissal of it just goes to show how Baddiel's book is so on the money. So to speak.
    I agree with my relatives - we like this stuff out in the open. Let them hate.
This discussion has been closed.