Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some by-election sensations from yesteryear – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Also well done @malcolmg for tipping Buzz over another posters tips which were beaten one soundly.

Thank you Topping.
    Have I missed a winning 4 legger from you, Malcolm?
    Sounds like it , though it was a favorite so not life changing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    edited November 2021

TOPPING said:

Reading some of the earlier thread.

This comment by @Foxy stood out:

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including [anti-Semitism]. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments."

This after he said that it was only anti-Semitism after all.

Time to roll out David Baddiel's book again:

Jews Don’t Count is a searing look at why anti-Semitism is often seen as a lesser form of racism, with a particular focus on the political left. To be Jewish, explains Baddiel, is to be subject to the contradictory belief that “Jews are somehow both sub-human and humanity’s secret masters”. Anti-semitic tropes are everywhere – yet, he argues, few of those who consider themselves alert to racism notice, let alone care.

That's unfair. The Modern Left have nearly no one left they are allowed to express hatred of. You have to leave them *something*. Otherwise they might burst.....
    The left are allowed to hate: Western culture, all traditional art forms, excellence in universities, equality before the law, private property, the family, Tories, capitalism except the Chinese sort, the concept of objectivity, each other, all western based religious culture, the House of Lords, freedom of thought, enterprise, the correspondence theory of truth, John Stuart Mill, the hereditary principle... the list is endless.

• Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Which seat (in whole or substantial) has had the most by-elections?

Good question, not really googlable. I'd say any more than 3 would be exceptional.
    Bootle had two in 1990 so could be high on the 'all time' list.
    Can anyone beat Corby which had four different MPs between March 2010 and May 2015?
    Don’t start me on Louise f***ing Bradshawe.
    Who the f*** was she? A maths teacher, good one the times tables?
    Actually Louise Bagshawe, elected in 2010 for Corby and then quit a couple of years later and the seat was lost to Labour. She was also a ‘vivid’ PB poster (not under own name) for a while prior to her election but flounced off for some reason
    Have you read Career Girls? It's probably one of the most so-bad-it's-good books I've ever read. In fact I think I read it twice for extra lolz. So much fashion and shagging. And I think there must be a bit of Topaz Rossi in all of us, amirigh? I bet Leon's a fan.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Also well done @malcolmg for tipping Buzz over another posters tips which were beaten one soundly.

Thank you Topping.
    I got a nice Trixie last Sunday , 11/4, 3/1 and 100/30 had forgotten to check and only noticed this morning. I got one today as well but they were all short prices.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

ping said:

ManU news;

Sunday times suggesting olexit imminent.

Emergency board meeting @7pm to discuss compensation terms.

Story here, looks like they want to Zidane.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-board-call-emergency-meeting-to-discuss-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-future-as-manager-gr0j9v5ht
    As someone who laid Ole at 1/3 next out after the Liverpool thrashing I'm a tad tempted by the 1/8 now, but tbh it's so hard to see who would go before him and Utd have surely run out of patience. Even so, I am a tad tempted. The Sack Race is so hard to predict sometimes and those are very short odds.
    Not going to join you but I can see the logic, I don't think they'll go for another season long caretaker, and there's few top coaches available now, but in the summer.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including [anti-Semitism]. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments."

Jews Don’t Count is a searing look at why anti-Semitism is often seen as a lesser form of racism, with a particular focus on the political left. To be Jewish, explains Baddiel, is to be subject to the contradictory belief that “Jews are somehow both sub-human and humanity’s secret masters”. Anti-semitic tropes are everywhere – yet, he argues, few of those who consider themselves alert to racism notice, let alone care.

That's unfair. The Modern Left have nearly no one left they are allowed to express hatred of. You have to leave them *something*. Otherwise they might burst.....
    The left are allowed to hate: Western culture, all traditional art forms, excellence in universities, equality before the law, private property, the family, Tories, capitalism except the Chinese sort, the concept of objectivity, each other, all western based religious culture, the House of Lords, freedom of thought, enterprise, the correspondence theory of truth, John Stuart Mill, the hereditary principle... the list is endless.

But that kind of hate has no joy in it. For your proper, visceral hate, from the dark side of the brain (the serious stuff) you need an ethnic group, really.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    I got a nice Trixie last Sunday , 11/4, 3/1 and 100/30 had forgotten to check and only noticed this morning. I got one today as well but they were all short prices.
    Are you any good at horse race betting? Or just fun?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Ha ha. You Tories are so clueless. The only thing the Left really hates is other members of the Left. Everything else is just bantz.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Good question, not really googlable. I'd say any more than 3 would be exceptional.
    Can anyone beat Corby which had four different MPs between March 2010 and May 2015?
    She was rather good wasn't she? :)

(And actually she was. Far better than the Long-Baileys or Burgons)
    It just grates ever so slightly, when you spend weeks knocking doors for someone, when that person then decides after a couple of years that they just couldn’t be arsed to be an MP any more. Grr…..
    She was viscerally loathed in Northants. Which normally wouldn't give a politician pause for thought save for the fact that she was the MP there.
    So presumably not always loathed given she got elected.
    No. Absolutely. But they felt she had betrayed their trust.
    Responding to @boulay too.

I thought, and I still think, that she was a good politician, and that it was a shame she retreated. I'd certainly hope that she's happy in whatever she's doing now.
    Oh again absolutely. Anyone who gives it a go is a) above average intelligence determination and drive; and b) to be encouraged.

Just that she left an unfortunate legacy.
  • Options
    COVID summary

Cases up - but nearly entirely among the young and unvaccinated
    Hospitalisation - down
    Deaths - down
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OK, just thinking about this comment 'a county where they used to hold a seat:'

Is there any county where the Liberal Democrats have never won a seat?

Offhand I can think of Staffordshire and Durham.

As LDs ie since 1988 no wins in Kent.
    We're up to three. Any more?

I'm thinking incidentally that's the only south coast county not to have returned a Liberal Democrat MP.
    I nominate Suffolk, Lincs, Northants, Notts, Leics (and Rutland,) and South and East Yorks. But I dare say you lot will prove me wrong.
    There was a Liberal Democrat MP in Leicester South from 2004 to 2005, although the rest check out.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    I just do it for fun , and not as much as I used to. I like the jumps but don't spend enough time on it nowadays. I keep my head above water but don't bet big.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Ha ha. You Tories are so clueless. The only thing the Left really hates is other members of the Left. Everything else is just bantz.
    Banter eh? You mean like in the locker rooms of cricket clubs?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

It just grates ever so slightly, when you spend weeks knocking doors for someone, when that person then decides after a couple of years that they just couldn’t be arsed to be an MP any more. Grr…..
    She was viscerally loathed in Northants. Which normally wouldn't give a politician pause for thought save for the fact that she was the MP there.

I thought, and I still think, that she was a good politician, and that it was a shame she retreated. I'd certainly hope that she's happy in whatever she's doing now.
    I’m not sure she was a “good politician” as being a good politician doesn’t seem to require a good brain and good ideas, and independent thought as she did but absolutely in agreement with you that it’s a shame people like her are lost to politics.

Would love to see her in a leader’s debate against a female leader of Labour with their po-faced virtue and seriousness…..

I would imagine she’s very happy and having a hoot with her husband and spending Saturday nights cavorting with Metallica, RHCP etc rather than being on PB like us!!!
  • Options

COVID summary

Hospitalisation - down
    Deaths - down

Sorry, I'm going to wait until Leon gives his thoughts on the numbers.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Oh FFS.

I will leave you chaps to fulminate over the cigars and go join the ladies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

SNHS being inapproriate with data sharing?

No surprise from me (4 times sectioned since 2011 [3 if you don't count the "voluntary" one])

If you don’t mind me asking, do you think, with a clear head - in hindsight - sectioning was appropriate? Presumably the authorities considered you a danger to yourself - do you now think that assessment was correct?

Genuine question (and fair enough if you don’t want to discuss it publicly on a forum).

I find peoples level headed assessments of their previous mental health episodes quite interesting and useful. Often, eg, in documentaries, we get people looking back on their mental health episodes and expressing gratitude at the way they were “handled” - was that your experience?
    I'll continue this on the next thread if you like - just post that again on new thread.

Hi
    OK-

I gave up trying to plead my sanity to the authorties after I had a Compulsary Treatment Order given to me by a Mental Health Tribunal.

In one of the four occasions I was sectioned I admit I did have some strange thoughts in my head - but I'd already been sectioned 3 times by then.
    You take good care of yourself and be kind to yourself

My family has experience of serious mental health issues, and it is so important that you do know help is available and everyone on here should be supportive

All the very best
    Good luck with getting much help from NHS.
    Not the best comment Malc and to be fair we have been helped over the last 30 years and successfully
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

OK, just thinking about this comment 'a county where they used to hold a seat:'

Is there any county where the Liberal Democrats have never won a seat?

Offhand I can think of Staffordshire and Durham.

As LDs ie since 1988 no wins in Kent.
    Surely quite a few in the Scottish central belt? Midlothian in Scotland, to take just one example, was solid Labour for much further back than I can think, being a mining area, and then SNP/Labour. Or the Welsh valleys?
    Indeed, if you add in Scotland and Wales then you should get a lot of extra examples, depending on exactly which set of boundaries you're counting.
    Well, yes. If you count the current principal areas of Wales only four ever have returned Liberal Democrat MPs (and one was a hangover from 1987) but if you count the former counties it's a lot murkier.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

But that kind of hate has no joy in it. For your proper, visceral hate, from the dark side of the brain (the serious stuff) you need an ethnic group, really.
    On the whole the left hate the white working class English male. They have few protectors (except perhaps Boris on a good day) but, laus deo, can look after themselves. Will that suffice?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Paging @Leon

Bat virus was shipped to Wuhan laboratory before Covid outbreak, emails show

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/20/bat-virus-shipped-wuhan-laboratory-covid-outbreak-emails-show/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    I just do it for fun , and not as much as I used to. I like the jumps but don't spend enough time on it nowadays. I keep my head above water but don't bet big.
    I almost never bet on sports. A fun few pounds here and there. I just don't have the expertise.

I do bet on politics though. I think I have some small edge, but mainly I just love the complexity and challenge of the bets. Next PM? A thousand factors.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    Hope everyone's having a good weekend. Just got back from a day out in Manchester to see the Van Gogh Live exhibition in Media City; I would highly recommend it for anyone interested.

Oh and I can just say Solskjaer and Manchester United 😂😂😂😂

EDIT: Jota!!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Oh FFS.

I’m not sure the staff get to choose which room they work!!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

ping said:

JBriskin3 said:

SNHS being inapproriate with data sharing?

No surprise from me (4 times sectioned since 2011 [3 if you don't count the "voluntary" one])

If you don’t mind me asking, do you think, with a clear head - in hindsight - sectioning was appropriate? Presumably the authorities considered you a danger to yourself - do you now think that assessment was correct?

Genuine question (and fair enough if you don’t want to discuss it publicly on a forum).

I find peoples level headed assessments of their previous mental health episodes quite interesting and useful. Often, eg, in documentaries, we get people looking back on their mental health episodes and expressing gratitude at the way they were “handled” - was that your experience?
    I'll continue this on the next thread if you like - just post that again on new thread.

Hi
    OK-

I gave up trying to plead my sanity to the authorties after I had a Compulsary Treatment Order given to me by a Mental Health Tribunal.

In one of the four occasions I was sectioned I admit I did have some strange thoughts in my head - but I'd already been sectioned 3 times by then.
    You take good care of yourself and be kind to yourself

My family has experience of serious mental health issues, and it is so important that you do know help is available and everyone on here should be supportive

All the very best
    Good luck with getting much help from NHS.
    Not the best comment Malc and to be fair we have been helped over the last 30 years and successfully
    A good friend, in a situation that sounds quite similar to that of @ JBriskin3, was helped immensely by the NHS.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

On the whole the left hate the white working class English male. They have few protectors (except perhaps Boris on a good day) but, laus deo, can look after themselves. Will that suffice?

What utter bollox. Next you'll be trying to tell us that that this government is fighting the woar against the Establishment Elite! 😂
  • Options

The health secretary has begun a review into racial bias in medical equipment amid fears that thousands of ethnic-minority patients died of Covid-19 who should have survived.

Sajid Javid is working with his American counterpart, Xavier Becerra, on introducing new international standards to ensure that medical devices have been tested on all races before they are allowed to be sold.

He has commissioned the review after research showed that oximeters, which monitor oxygen levels in the blood and are used to assess whether Covid-19 patients need lifesaving treatment, are less accurate on people with darker skin.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sajid-javid-orders-racial-bias-review-after-covid-deaths-wxtsbsxdc

Fuck me. They work by shining a little blue light through your finger. The idea they might not work so well in someone with a darker skin tone than mine is hardly fucking rocket science.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

It's that sort of self-hatred that leads to the anti-semitism. That is, they are closer to us than the countries surrounding them, so they become a good vessel for the self-hatred described in hating western values. I don't think I've ever heard a single "criticism of israel," that can't be applied, and worse, to the islamic middle-east. Certainly, if the problem that the left might pick out in the West as sexual and gender inequality, Israel is more in line with their views on that than, say Syria, or Jordan.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Quincel said:

ping said:

ManU news;

Sunday times suggesting olexit imminent.

Emergency board meeting @7pm to discuss compensation terms.

Story here, looks like they want to Zidane.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manchester-united-board-call-emergency-meeting-to-discuss-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-future-as-manager-gr0j9v5ht
    As someone who laid Ole at 1/3 next out after the Liverpool thrashing I'm a tad tempted by the 1/8 now, but tbh it's so hard to see who would go before him and Utd have surely run out of patience. Even so, I am a tad tempted. The Sack Race is so hard to predict sometimes and those are very short odds.
    Board meeting 7pm to agree compensation terms according to the Times
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,079
    edited November 2021
    TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Oh again absolutely. Anyone who gives it a go is a) above average intelligence determination and drive; and b) to be encouraged.

Just that she left an unfortunate legacy.
    Didn't she go a bit QAnon over the Bataclan massacre?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Solksjaer 2/17 to go next
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited November 2021
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

I’m not sure she was a “good politician” as being a good politician doesn’t seem to require a good brain and good ideas, and independent thought as she did but absolutely in agreement with you that it’s a shame people like her are lost to politics.

Would love to see her in a leader’s debate against a female leader of Labour with their po-faced virtue and seriousness…..

I would imagine she’s very happy and having a hoot with her husband and spending Saturday nights cavorting with Metallica, RHCP etc rather than being on PB like us!!!
    She had some talent, but I don't think she had the persistence to be a career politician (as her brief forays into journalism also suggest).
    Also seems somewhat lacking in the judgment department.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I think he's gunnar go.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

He’s been a losing favourite in the last five (?!) markets.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think this time they will pull the trigger
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She had some talent, but I don't think she had the persistence to be a career politician (as her brief forays into journalism also suggest).
    Sadly your comment that touches on the requirements to be a career politician is correct and sums up the problem neatly - to be a career politician seems to require qualities that are actually wrong in the people who would be best to lead a country. It seems you need to be a (technical) psychopath, a liar, rhino hide skin, a sheep, unimaginative, no skeletons in cupboard or no life experience to have skeletons! In short it’s the old thing that most people who want to be politicians are the worst possible choice to be politicians.
  • Options

COVID summary

Hospitalisation - down
    Deaths - down

Sorry, I'm going to wait until Leon gives his thoughts on the numbers.
    Any chance you could get Professor Peston to write a header? We could have so much.... fun.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Fuck off, OLB. Just fuck off.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

UK deaths

For the third day in a row this deaths graph is wrong - the numbers do not agree to the official website.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

I think this time they will pull the trigger
    The story that did the rounds after Liverpool smashed them was they didn't want to sack a second manager after a Liverpool defeat.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

It's that sort of self-hatred that leads to the anti-semitism. That is, they are closer to us than the countries surrounding them, so they become a good vessel for the self-hatred described in hating western values. I don't think I've ever heard a single "criticism of israel," that can't be applied, and worse, to the islamic middle-east. Certainly, if the problem that the left might pick out in the West as sexual and gender inequality, Israel is more in line with their views on that than, say Syria, or Jordan.
    Bloody hell. Deep.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,610
    TOPPING said:

You don't seem to have got as far as my comment at 10:03 in which I clearly consider anti-semitism as racism

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including racism. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments"

And later on where I make clear that we should have no further role in the Israel/Palestine dispute at 10:35

"Not a word that I have ever encountered. Certainly sympathy for the plight of the Palestinians does spill over to anti-semitism.

Personally I think that British influence and actions in the Middle East over the last Century or so have been a litany of mistakes in which we have managed to offend all sides. We should steer clear of any further involvement."

I know that you habitually mis-represent my views on a variety of issues, but to make it perfectly clear, I consider anti-semitism as bad as any other form of racism. I just do not favour "cancelling" people, but rather rebutting their prejudices.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Multiple citations needed.
  • Options
    Golly.

That's a CV worthy of an Eadronic creation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think he's gunnar go.

'Ole Gonner Solskjaer' tweets Gary. So he sounds convinced.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    Pulpstar said:

I think he's gunnar go.

To Hlidarend? or at Hlidarend?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.
    Quite. This is PB where even the monkeys ...
  • Options
    I guess it's a small market thing, but Greens are 2 on BF for N Shropshire.

Eh?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

UK deaths

For the third day in a row this deaths graph is wrong - the numbers do not agree to the official website.
    This is because it is compiled from the regional data, which has a different lag to the national level data.

Why that is, is a question I've asked of the people working on the Dashboard. The answer is apparently - "complex"
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.
    It's been fairly commonly observed that Israel is being critiqued in the context of being a "Western" nation, rather than a "Middle Eastern" one.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, I think Israel is the only country in the Middle East that I could live in. For all its faults it is the only country in the region in which it is safe to be politically outspoken against the government, feminist, gay, transgender, atheist, Christian, Jew, Bahai or even the wrong sort of Muslim.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

You don't seem to have got as far as my comment at 10:03 in which I clearly consider anti-semitism as racism

"Well quite often people have blind spots on specific issues, including racism. While obviously wrong, it doesn't cancel them completely in my eyes. To restrict politics to those of some impossible standard of being perfect on all measures would make it very difficult to populate Parliaments"

And later on where I make clear that we should have no further role in the Israel/Palestine dispute at 10:35

"Not a word that I have ever encountered. Certainly sympathy for the plight of the Palestinians does spill over to anti-semitism.

Personally I think that British influence and actions in the Middle East over the last Century or so have been a litany of mistakes in which we have managed to offend all sides. We should steer clear of any further involvement."

I know that you habitually mis-represent my views on a variety of issues, but to make it perfectly clear, I consider anti-semitism as bad as any other form of racism. I just do not favour "cancelling" people, but rather rebutting their prejudices.

Yeah sure you do.
  • Options

Eh?

Wm Hill thinks differently. 200/1.

If lots of people here are right the LDs remain sound value at 3/1, also with Hills. I an cautious on this one.
  • Options
    Four!

Football not Cricket. :grin:
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    Adds up though if they all come in. My fav acca bet is 5 horses into 10 trebles. It's a good low cost way of sustaining interest through a card with that chance of a big result if things click. Sense of growing excitement if say 2 of the first 3 win. Course if the first 3 lose that's not such a great scenario. You then have to lump on the last 2 as singles just in case.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah sure you do.
    It is possible that I know my own beliefs than you do!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737
    Foxy said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, I think Israel is the only country in the Middle East that I could live in. For all its faults it is the only country in the region in which it is safe to be politically outspoken against the government, feminist, gay, transgender, atheist, Christian, Jew, Bahai or even the wrong sort of Muslim.
    Amazing that you are all those at once!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Eh?

What’s the lay price? That’s usually a better indicator in a small market.
  • Options

MikeL said:

UK deaths

This is because it is compiled from the regional data, which has a different lag to the national level data.

Why that is, is a question I've asked of the people working on the Dashboard. The answer is apparently - "complex"
    OK, many thanks!

The differences on recent days are non-trivial and differences also go back a long way.

eg The 2nd highest day on your graph is 180 on 31 Oct. The actual figure that day was 182.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Here's your view.

"I thought Thangam Debbonaire quite brilliant in the debate. She is one to watch and a future Leader candidate. I do have a soft spot for Sultana, apart from the usual anti-semitic blind spot. She has quite a strong twitter and tiktok following. She is likely to be the hard left candidate in the next contest."

A soft spot for an anti-Semite.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kinabalu said:

A related question: which seat has gone the longest since it’s last by-election? Are there any that have never had one? (Obviously squinting for boundary changes here)
    And which mainland seat was represented by a DUP MP?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Eh?

What’s the lay price? That’s usually a better indicator in a small market.
    960 😂

You can't call a 2/960 market "2".
  • Options

I fully expect the stewards to decide to put Hamilton to the back of the grid for reasons.

Max Verstappen called to the stewards for allegedly not respecting double waved yellow flags at the end of qualifying

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/status/1462114140152115203

I made this call after the farce in Belgium when they ran a single lap with no overtaking to give Max some extra points
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

A related question: which seat has gone the longest since it’s last by-election? Are there any that have never had one? (Obviously squinting for boundary changes here)
    And which mainland seat was represented by a DUP MP?
    Basingstoke.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

You overestimate their ability to walk and chew gum at the same time. At the moment it's "transphobes," and a jewish foxhunting apartheid enthusiast would probably slip by them completely unnoticed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah sure you do.
    Can you identify one of the 27400 posts of mine that is anti-semitic? If so I am happy to retract it and apologise.

If not, your accusation is unfounded.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

UK deaths

OK, many thanks!

The differences on recent days are non-trivial and differences also go back a long way.

eg The 2nd highest day on your graph is 180 on 31 Oct. The actual figure that day was 182.
    The latency with which such numbers are "filled in" can be surprising.

There have been backdated changed for last year, for example. Revised causes of death.

The more you look at the numbers, the more you realise that what we are seeing is, an eventually-accurate-to-about-95% view.

When you look at the underlying issues, this becomes clear. Consider Fred. Fred was a terminal cancer patient. He contracted pneumonia and died. With a positive test for COVID. Which column do we put Fred in? Even after an autopsy, doctors may still argue...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah sure you do.
    Can you identify one of the 27400 posts of mine that is anti-semitic? If so I am happy to retract it and apologise.

If not, your accusation is unfounded.
    You have a soft spot for an anti Semite
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Eh?

2 to back, 960 to lay.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Here's your view.

"I thought Thangam Debbonaire quite brilliant in the debate. She is one to watch and a future Leader candidate. I do have a soft spot for Sultana, apart from the usual anti-semitic blind spot. She has quite a strong twitter and tiktok following. She is likely to be the hard left candidate in the next contest."

A soft spot for her views on other subjects quite obviously. That is why I specifically excluded her anti-semitism.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Who the f*** was she? A maths teacher, good on the times tables?
    She was an one of Cameron's A-listers - a chick-lit novelist who posted here a few times. Before her infamy as a "platinum grade troll"
    Although she has a degree from the House.

And Career Girls was an amusing read as I knew most of the characters
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

You overestimate their ability to walk and chew gum at the same time. At the moment it's "transphobes," and a jewish foxhunting apartheid enthusiast would probably slip by them completely unnoticed.
    I who have though that the chances of an apartheid enthusiast not being transphobic as well pretty low.

Unless there is something about the Eugène Terre'Blanche types that I am unaware of?
  • Options
    Charles said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

She was an one of Cameron's A-listers - a chick-lit novelist who posted here a few times. Before her infamy as a "platinum grade troll"

Colleges don't award degrees.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    boulay said:

Nigelb said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Sadly your comment that touches on the requirements to be a career politician is correct and sums up the problem neatly - to be a career politician seems to require qualities that are actually wrong in the people who would be best to lead a country. It seems you need to be a (technical) psychopath, a liar, rhino hide skin, a sheep, unimaginative, no skeletons in cupboard or no life experience to have skeletons! In short it’s the old thing that most people who want to be politicians are the worst possible choice to be politicians.
    Mensch is hardly the best illustration.
    She appears to have the attention span of a gnat. There's room for all sorts in politics - even dilettantes, as our current PM evidences.
    But if you can't endure a single Parliament, then it's not for you.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Here's your view.

A soft spot for her views on other subjects quite obviously. That is why I specifically excluded her anti-semitism.
    But, as they say, substitute another ethnic group and see how that sounds.

You do not even seem to see anti Semitism as worthy of anything other than a mild tut.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Colleges don't award degrees.
    De facto, neither does the University of Oxford in many subjects :smiley:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited November 2021
  • Options

The health secretary has begun a review into racial bias in medical equipment amid fears that thousands of ethnic-minority patients died of Covid-19 who should have survived.

Sajid Javid is working with his American counterpart, Xavier Becerra, on introducing new international standards to ensure that medical devices have been tested on all races before they are allowed to be sold.

He has commissioned the review after research showed that oximeters, which monitor oxygen levels in the blood and are used to assess whether Covid-19 patients need lifesaving treatment, are less accurate on people with darker skin.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sajid-javid-orders-racial-bias-review-after-covid-deaths-wxtsbsxdc

That’s a disaster if he does.

While I understand the sentiment, it will massively raise the cost and slow down innovation if they need to run parallel trials before selling.

A PIV (post approval) commitment to a bridging study might work but idiotic to delay approval in the first place because it doesn’t work for everyone
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

I who have though that the chances of an apartheid enthusiast not being transphobic as well pretty low.

Unless there is something about the Eugène Terre'Blanche types that I am unaware of?
    I'm not sure "transphobia" is even a thing. I have never heard an anti-trans joke - plenty of anti-gay, racist ones, though. Those labelled transphobes are invariably making sensible and pedestrian points about the protection of natal women from opportunistic cis male fakers.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    Adds up though if they all come in. My fav acca bet is 5 horses into 10 trebles. It's a good low cost way of sustaining interest through a card with that chance of a big result if things click. Sense of growing excitement if say 2 of the first 3 win. Course if the first 3 lose that's not such a great scenario. You then have to lump on the last 2 as singles just in case.
    I have noted This 2m 3f is the longest distance Buzz has won over, and despite good pressure from the front still found the finish.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.
    It's been fairly commonly observed that Israel is being critiqued in the context of being a "Western" nation, rather than a "Middle Eastern" one.
    Which doesn't map to self-hatred.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Eh?

2 to back, 960 to lay.
    Annoyingly high lay. :smiley:
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

UK deaths

OK, many thanks!

The latency with which such numbers are "filled in" can be surprising.

There have been backdated changed for last year, for example. Revised causes of death.

The more you look at the numbers, the more you realise that what we are seeing is, an eventually-accurate-to-about-95% view.

When you look at the underlying issues, this becomes clear. Consider Fred. Fred was a terminal cancer patient. He contracted pneumonia and died. With a positive test for COVID. Which column do we put Fred in? Even after an autopsy, doctors may still argue...
    Your regional numbers all seem to be lower than the national numbers.

I think it makes most sense to look at national numbers to assess overall trend.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Here's your view.

You do not even seem to see anti Semitism as worthy of anything other than a mild tut.
    Not at all. I don't cancel people for other forms of racism either. Nor a bunch of other prejudices including Transphobia, Islamophobia etc etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.
    If the people involved are negative nationalists, then it would.

Negative Nationalism

1. Anglophobia. Within the intelligentsia, a derisive and mildly hostile attitude towards Britain is more or less compulsory, but it is an unfaked emotion in many cases. During the war it was manifested in the defeatism of the intelligentsia, which persisted long after it had become clear that the Axis powers could not win. Many people were undisguisedly pleased when Singapore fell or when the British were driven out of Greece, and there was a remarkable unwillingness to believe in good news, e.g. el Alamein, or the number of German planes shot down in the Battle of Britain. English left-wing intellectuals did not, of course, actually want the Germans or Japanese to win the war, but many of them could not help getting a certain kick out of seeing their own country humiliated, and wanted to feel that the final victory would be due to Russia, or perhaps America, and not to Britain. In foreign politics many intellectuals follow the principle that any faction backed by Britain must be in the wrong. As a result, ‘enlightened’ opinion is quite largely a mirror-image of Conservative policy. Anglophobia is always liable to reversal, hence that fairly common spectacle, the pacifist of one war who is a bellicist in the next.

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/notes-on-nationalism/
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not sure "transphobia" is even a thing. I have never heard an anti-trans joke - plenty of anti-gay, racist ones, though. Those labelled transphobes are invariably making sensible and pedestrian points about the protection of natal women from opportunistic cis male fakers.
    There is plenty of real transphobia out there. Someone has to do all the violent hate crimes against trans people, after all.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.

Negative Nationalism

1. Anglophobia. Within the intelligentsia, a derisive and mildly hostile attitude towards Britain is more or less compulsory, but it is an unfaked emotion in many cases. During the war it was manifested in the defeatism of the intelligentsia, which persisted long after it had become clear that the Axis powers could not win. Many people were undisguisedly pleased when Singapore fell or when the British were driven out of Greece, and there was a remarkable unwillingness to believe in good news, e.g. el Alamein, or the number of German planes shot down in the Battle of Britain. English left-wing intellectuals did not, of course, actually want the Germans or Japanese to win the war, but many of them could not help getting a certain kick out of seeing their own country humiliated, and wanted to feel that the final victory would be due to Russia, or perhaps America, and not to Britain. In foreign politics many intellectuals follow the principle that any faction backed by Britain must be in the wrong. As a result, ‘enlightened’ opinion is quite largely a mirror-image of Conservative policy. Anglophobia is always liable to reversal, hence that fairly common spectacle, the pacifist of one war who is a bellicist in the next.

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/notes-on-nationalism/
    It was Robert Blake who said acidly the reason that the Tories successfully portrayed Labour as unpatriotic and even traitors was because 'too many left wing people behave as a friend of every country but their own.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Bloody hell. Deep.

Negative Nationalism

It was Robert Blake who said acidly the reason that the Tories successfully portrayed Labour as unpatriotic and even traitors was because 'too many left wing people behave as a friend of every country but their own.'
    "Useful Idiots". Which was how the *Soviets* described their.... friends. The ones who they didn't even need to try and subvert. Because they would naturally assumed the Soviet side in any dispute with the West.
  • Options

Good week over all, was feeling a bit down earlier but have managed to snap out of it quickly

Evening Horse, I trust the run of good polls are cheering you up a bit at least.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Here's your view.

Not at all. I don't cancel people for other forms of racism either. Nor a bunch of other prejudices including Transphobia, Islamophobia etc etc.
    You are very forgiving to a politician with such views but if those are your values do be it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Oh FFS.

You and your gender stereotypes!
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Oh FFS.

I think we've all been brandied as upper class types.
  • Options
    Charles said:

That’s a disaster if he does.

While I understand the sentiment, it will massively raise the cost and slow down innovation if they need to run parallel trials before selling.

A PIV (post approval) commitment to a bridging study might work but idiotic to delay approval in the first place because it doesn’t work for everyone
    If nothing else, highlighting the fact that a device/treatment is not certified for group X might save lives.

If oximeter readings caused misdiagnosis......
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

OK Foxy, this is what i cannot get at all with "the left". you have it bang on "it is the only country in the region in which it is safe to be politically outspoken against the government, feminist, gay, transgender, atheist, Christian, Jew, Bahai or even the wrong sort of Muslim".

so why the fuck is it that people of "the left" have such a hatred of israel? i am absolutely certain that the majority of the left who aren't hard core islamists, if they had to live under a sharia/islamic state would absolutely hate it and be the biggest victims of it. trans, gay, women who want to drive a frigging car, marry who they want.....

so they absolutely hate israel/ its apparently not because they are anti-semitic..... its some weird inbuilt bollocks.

i'm nominally a catholic, don't give a crap about religion but weirdly if i had to choose a religion and culture other than what i've grown up with it would be Judaism. close enough to Christianity with the same "moral base" but also frankly apart from pork products not overly proscriptive over life and enjoying life. drink, dance, be happy, shag beautiful women in Eilat! would you seriously live in a muslim?sharia country?

so please explain what it is that the left finds so awful about Israel? i mean if its just about occupying contested land then every country western, catholic, muslim, asian has problems if being rational.

sorry, i forgot to add, if i was a palestinian i would look at the quality of life in Israel and then the surrounding countries and choose an israeli life that allows me to follow my religion and drop the dogma immediately. seriously - israeli standard of life and freedoms or Egypt, Syria, Irag etc etc....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Thank you Topping.
    I have noted This 2m 3f is the longest distance Buzz has won over, and despite good pressure from the front still found the finish.
    My favourite bet is the Patent or a Lucky 15 if I'm feeling ambitious.

BUZZ won the Cesarewitch at Newmarket over two and a quarter miles last time. Today's trip was never going to be a problem on the decent ground. You could see him as a real prospect for the Stayers Hurdle (or the World Hurdle as I think it's now called) at Cheltenham if the ground is on the quick side.

I'm less convinced about him on a soft or heavy surface.

Performance of the day was A PLUS TARD at Haydock - a real marker for the Gold Cup.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Good week over all, was feeling a bit down earlier but have managed to snap out of it quickly

Really pleased to hear that, my friend.

Look after yourself.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Oh FFS.

What if the ladies want to fulminate over cigars?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Foxy said:

Monkeys said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

OK Foxy, this is what i cannot get at all with "the left". you have it bang on "it is the only country in the region in which it is safe to be politically outspoken against the government, feminist, gay, transgender, atheist, Christian, Jew, Bahai or even the wrong sort of Muslim".

so why the fuck is it that people of "the left" have such a hatred of israel? i am absolutely certain that the majority of the left who aren't hard core islamists, if they had to live under a sharia/islamic state would absolutely hate it and be the biggest victims of it. trans, gay, women who want to drive a frigging car, marry who they want.....

so they absolutely hate israel/ its apparently not because they are anti-semitic..... its some weird inbuilt bollocks.

i'm nominally a catholic, don't give a crap about religion but weirdly if i had to choose a religion and culture other than what i've grown up with it would be Judaism. close enough to Christianity with the same "moral base" but also frankly apart from pork products not overly proscriptive over life and enjoying life. drink, dance, be happy, shag beautiful women in Eilat! would you seriously live in a muslim?sharia country?

so please explain what it is that the left finds so awful about Israel? i mean if its just about occupying contested land then every country western, catholic, muslim, asian has problems if being rational.
    I would suggest - although actually I'm not on the political left - there is a difference between the way a country behaves inside its own borders and the way it behaves outside. And that's especially true of Israel, a beacon of democracy in its 1967 borders, and a repressive regime in the occupied territory of the West Bank and the controlled area of Gaza.

Just as slavery wasn't abolished in the British Empire for 55 years after its abolition in Britain.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JBriskin3 said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

Wait, was Topaz Rossi based on you?
This discussion has been closed.