Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s Nightmare November continues with another bad poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,001
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

That’s pretty much played out: the U.K. is low regulation, and high labour flexibility. Yet the “North” is still poor, and getting (comparatively) poorer. Why?

How does this sit with your assertion that "Trade is pretty much a function: Value = (Proximity x Economic size) - Regulatory Friction"?
    You are confusing “trade” with “growth”, although the two things are obviously related.

It is true that Leeds is very much likely to “trade” more with Bradford, but that tells us nothing really about growth in Leeds or Bradford.
    The point is that the treasury rates the clusters that govern economic development between Leeds and Birmingham and Leeds and London as low potential (lower than £4bn apparently). It's they say making the proximity part of the equation makes no difference to the overall picture. It's like the UK/Morocco example I was talking about, the official rating is extremely low, like hilariously so. Yet as we know there are multiple UK/Morocco deals in the pipeline including a solar energy interconnect, investment by UK companies in Moroccan infrastructure, export of planning services, export of solar energy expertise etc... The treasury model says that this relationship is of zero value and will always be of zero value, yet those projects will add up to tens of billions in value within a few years for both countries.

Proximity is a much smaller factor than, IMO, inertia.
    The irony there is that London to Leeds is only a small part of the true gain there.

You have Leeds to Sheffield, Sheffield to Derby, Leeds to Derby, Grantham to Peterborough. Heck you even get more trains from Leeds to Wakefield / Selby just by increasing the capacity in and out of Leeds.

If the treasury are merely looking at just the end points they've missed all the gains in between that the extra capacity opens up and that is a flaw within their modelling that could be seized upon.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This

If you can’t polish a turd, grow tomatoes from it.

https://twitter.com/kentindell/status/1461100613140467721?s=21

My dad did lots of work on sewage farms. Tomato plants were everywhere for this reason.

As far as I know he was never brave enough to pick any ...
    As I may have mentioned my dad fought in the Korean War. Though he didn’t talk that much abut it, one thing he did say was that the whole country smelled of shit. Human excrement was the main fertiliser and it being a largely agricultural country, the reek was pervasive. Bully beef and tinned jam all round..
    Heard that when a lot of elderly, rural folk were re-housed in the 90's in tower blocks in Seoul, they would go out each evening and dutifully do their patriotic duty and shit in the stairwells.
    This may be apocryphal.
    Lol. Bit of Korean cultural appropriation going on in some Glasgow tower locks in that case!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,858
    Aslan said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1461331841714167808

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
    Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
    Because he's never stood up to anyone in his life. He's always had someone to do the standing up for him. It was Gilligan for cycle lanes in London, Frost for Brexit, Cummings for various things, Bingham for vaccines.

It's clear he doesn't have anyone to drive through levelling-up, or infrastructure improvements, so it dies.
    He's got our man from the north Govey on the job doesn't he?

Let's see how it plays out.

*I’m a great admirer of Thatcher by the way, but her economic view is not fit for 2021.
    You a MMT fan?

(Apologies, since you gave me a decent response)
    No.

But I do note:

- U.K. prints it’s own money.
    - The fear that 100% debt-to-GDP impaired economic growth has pretty much been debunked.
    - Interest rates are very low.

I therefore wonder why the hell we want to fetishise debt levels over the future prosperity of 65% of the country.

Anyway, my point about Thatcher was more about the general theory that you can deregulate your way to growth. That’s pretty much played out: the U.K. is low regulation, and high labour flexibility. Yet the “North” is still poor, and getting (comparatively) poorer. Why?
    I don't know why.

I'll guess your answer might be infrastructure?

I agree we should be borrowing heavily in these times of low interest rates (which won't be along for much longer by my reading.)
    Infrastructure + Skills + Local Autonomy is the magic recipe.
    Local Autonomy can be too local though. Put it down to the sub-city region level and it's too small for politicians to care about economic development and just focus on NIMBY issues.

I also think infrastructure needs to be about more than telecoms and travel. If you want to keep the newly skilled people leaving you need to spend a lot on making the place nice to live. Concrete brutalism and high rises are disastrous for this. You need community based streets, trees, parks, public art, little shops and restaurants.
    Agree with all of this of course.
    But also, these kind of arguments essentially stop the U.K. from doing ANYTHING.

Except, from about 2000 to 2015, in London.
    Which worked pretty well.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This

My dad did lots of work on sewage farms. Tomato plants were everywhere for this reason.

As I may have mentioned my dad fought in the Korean War. Though he didn’t talk that much abut it, one thing he did say was that the whole country smelled of shit. Human excrement was the main fertiliser and it being a largely agricultural country, the reek was pervasive. Bully beef and tinned jam all round..
    Heard that when a lot of elderly, rural folk were re-housed in the 90's in tower blocks in Seoul, they would go out each evening and dutifully do their patriotic duty and shit in the stairwells.
    This may be apocryphal.
    Change management is essential for project success. Clearly it wasn't done here...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate just how shit our media class is. Where is anyone asking these fucking questions of Rishi, why is the treasury using the same economic modelling that failed to predict the rise of the internet and halted our investment in fibre optic cabling in the early 2000s?
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

malcolmg said:

How about a PB meet on the Plymouth to Aberdeen train?

We could commandeer a few coaches and PBers just join along the route, we could have convivial chats on there, and then party when we get to Aberdeen.

Can you get a week off work
    You're exageratting. I once drove from Aberdeen to Somerset in a day. By train they might need a pit stop though I guess.
    I have business interests in Zummerzet. Easily driveable from an hour north of Aberdeen in a day.
    I think it took me about 12 hours - I wouldn't have had much time to update my potential spreadsheets.
    Drive down daytime. Hotel, run, fud. Off to the client the following morning, drive home from lunchtime.
    Which by my calculations you'd get back by midnight? I guess the meeting/s must have been important.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate just how shit our media class is. Where is anyone asking these fucking questions of Rishi, why is the treasury using the same economic modelling that failed to predict the rise of the internet and halted our investment in fibre optic cabling in the early 2000s?

Equally why does the model seem to look at point to point models and miss the entire point of network effects and the multiplier they create?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The media is full of innumerate twats who don’t do detail.

Did you know, BTW, Boris used to be a journalist?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    In the late 90s it once took me 2 days to get home by train from the West Highlands to Berkshire.

I was doing the West Highland Way but my feet had been consumed by blistersnso had to stop half way. Turned up at the station in the early afternoon and the last train to Glasgow had gone. Had to stay in a YMCA overnight and caught the first train the next day which want until about 10. By the time I got to Glasgow I had missed the last train to Reading so another overnight stay. Finally got home after 48 hours!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I do sometimes feel like we are watching a country failing in real time right before our eyes. No part of it is working.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

In the late 90s it once took me 2 days to get home by train from the West Highlands to Berkshire.

I was doing the West Highland Way but my feet had been consumed by blistersnso had to stop half way. Turned up at the station in the early afternoon and the last train to Glasgow had gone. Had to stay in a YMCA overnight and caught the first train the next day which want until about 10. By the time I got to Glasgow I had missed the last train to Reading so another overnight stay. Finally got home after 48 hours!

Pro-tip: you can fly from Aberdeen (and I presume Glasgow and Edinburgh) to London in circa an hour.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Equally why does the model seem to look at point to point models and miss the entire point of network effects and the multiplier they create?
    Indeed, it's just so broken. The UK/Morocco example is the best one, IMO, of where the treasury's internal model rates it at a 0% addition to UK GDP yet we already know of tens of billions worth of development for both sides in the pipeline. The cluster size of UK -> Morocco exports and Morocco -> UK exports are absolutely tiny, as in they are in the hundreds of millions on both sides, the potential by gravity modelling rates that at something like a £10-30m uplift between both countries, except that under the terms of the deal the UK will invest billions in building out solar farms in Morocco and Morocco will export billions of dollars worth of electricity to the UK. Something where nothing previously existed.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

malcolmg said:

How about a PB meet on the Plymouth to Aberdeen train?

We could commandeer a few coaches and PBers just join along the route, we could have convivial chats on there, and then party when we get to Aberdeen.

Can you get a week off work
    You're exageratting. I once drove from Aberdeen to Somerset in a day. By train they might need a pit stop though I guess.
    I have business interests in Zummerzet. Easily driveable from an hour north of Aberdeen in a day.
    I think it took me about 12 hours - I wouldn't have had much time to update my potential spreadsheets.
    Drive down daytime. Hotel, run, fud. Off to the client the following morning, drive home from lunchtime.
    Which by my calculations you'd get back by midnight? I guess the meeting/s must have been important.
    Hard to do logistics planning work in a warehouse via Zoom. Yeah, late back which is why I try to add other stuff to the trip to extend it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,086

MaxPB said:

Do you think a Treasury drone would be preferable to Boris?
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

That’s pretty much played out: the U.K. is low regulation, and high labour flexibility. Yet the “North” is still poor, and getting (comparatively) poorer. Why?

How does this sit with your assertion that "Trade is pretty much a function: Value = (Proximity x Economic size) - Regulatory Friction"?
    You are confusing “trade” with “growth”, although the two things are obviously related.

It is true that Leeds is very much likely to “trade” more with Bradford, but that tells us nothing really about growth in Leeds or Bradford.
    The point is that the treasury rates the clusters that govern economic development between Leeds and Birmingham and Leeds and London as low potential (lower than £4bn apparently). It's they say making the proximity part of the equation makes no difference to the overall picture. It's like the UK/Morocco example I was talking about, the official rating is extremely low, like hilariously so. Yet as we know there are multiple UK/Morocco deals in the pipeline including a solar energy interconnect, investment by UK companies in Moroccan infrastructure, export of planning services, export of solar energy expertise etc... The treasury model says that this relationship is of zero value and will always be of zero value, yet those projects will add up to tens of billions in value within a few years for both countries.

The irony there is that London to Leeds is only a small part of the true gain there.

You have Leeds to Sheffield, Sheffield to Derby, Leeds to Derby, Grantham to Peterborough. Heck you even get more trains from Leeds to Wakefield / Selby just by increasing the capacity in and out of Leeds.

If the treasury are merely looking at just the end points they've missed all the gains in between that the extra capacity opens up and that is a flaw within their modelling that could be seized upon.
    One has to be suspicious that the modelling is just 'rigged' to produce the answer that the arts graduate senior civil servants have already decided is good enough for the oinks of the North.
  • Options

The North East, East Midlands, and Yorkshire & Humber already receive the lowest public investment per head in rail.

Cutting HS2's eastern leg is the opposite of levelling up and a disaster for those regions.

https://twitter.com/larry_turner/status/1461321128039915521/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

To be honest, anyone would be preferable to Boris. He is debauching the country every minute he stays in office.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,806

MaxPB said:

To be honest, anyone would be preferable to Boris. He is debauching the country every minute he stays in office.
    Hard to say who the modern equivalent of Incitatus the Horse is in the Senate, sorry HoC, today. Several fine candidates in the last couple of weeks.
  • Options

The North East, East Midlands, and Yorkshire & Humber already receive the lowest public investment per head in rail.

Cutting HS2's eastern leg is the opposite of levelling up and a disaster for those regions.

https://twitter.com/larry_turner/status/1461321128039915521/

If you had the Western European equivalent figures, the impoverishment would he ever starker.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    The one good thing about Bozza was his belief in grands projets. Now, he’s lost even that. The hopeless little twerp has been sent packing by the big boys in the Treasury.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,464

MaxPB said:

I do sometimes feel like we are watching a country failing in real time right before our eyes. No part of it is working.
    This actually happens everywhere.

For example, the US Government uses similar models.

These predict, for example, that reducing the cost of space launch would destroy billions of dollars of value. Because massively reducing the costs of something is famous for destroying an industry.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Btw if anyone fancies an interesting podcast, tortoise media’s “sweet Bobby” is a gripping deep dive into an astonishing catfishing case. Worth a few hours of your time, imo.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,257
    edited November 2021
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday Boris Johnson admitted he crashed the car when it came to sleaze.

Today he has derailed the trains.

He’s taking the country absolutely nowhere.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1461325245038698497

The same Starmer who is opposed to HS2
    That's nimby stuff coming not from the leader of the Labour Party but from the MP for Holburn & St Pancras whose constituents are dead against it due to the disruption to the locale. Similar to John McDonnell and the Heathrow expansion. He was against it not as Shadow Chancellor but as the MP for Hayes & Harlington. It's an interesting notion. That in a sense the local MP and the national politician are different people despite also being the same people.
    It's a good reason for executive politicians (or, in this case, aspiring executive politicians) to also be members of parliament for specific constituencies. It shows what two-faced ****s they are.
    Is that a typo? Surely you mean it's a good reason for them NOT to be MPs for specific constituencies.
    No, I think it's good to see them showing their ability (or lack thereof) to stand up to nimbyism.
    Ok but it can be a tricky one.

Imagine you're an MP looking at something you think is in the national interest but is bad for your constituency and almost everyone who lives there opposes it.

Do you support it, knowing that this means you're out at the next election because your main opponent will make sure to be noisily on the 'right' side of the argument?

Or do you put your own views aside (given your vote won't be make or break) and represent your constituents with the additional benefit of continuing your parliamentary career?

Almost all do the latter and tbh I reckon I probably would. Therefore, since I can imagine I would, I can't quite go with your "two-faced shits" description.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

Something I wish I understood about Sunak but don't;

Does he go along with Treasury penny pinching because he believes in it, or is he just too small in stature and ability to argue against it?

I wish he'd spent time running a spending department on the way up.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

Does he go along with Treasury penny pinching because he believes in it, or is he just too small in stature and ability to argue against it?

He's a yes man, remember he's only Chancellor because he agreed to be a sub to Dom.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,348
    isam said:

Boris is still leading on Gross Positive Leader Ratings, but Sir Keir is in the lead on Net Satisfaction.

The problem with the satisfaction test is that the question conflates "I like X" with "I think X is being successful" (and sometimes a bit of "I want X to do badly so I'm satisfied that he's crap"). Thus good poll ratings for X can push up a "doing well" rating with no actual change in whether people think X is any good. And vice versa.

Best PM may be better, though that tends to have an incumbency bias, since it's easier to imagine a current PM as suitable for the job.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,691
    MaxPB said:

Final point on why we're all fucked by the Treasury's addiction to outdated models - they are unable to deal with the concept of making something where nothing previously existed. It's why we're in the slow lane for investment outside of a few specialist areas funded by the MoD budget (which the treasury has repeatedly tried to cut). If something is zero in a model it can't ever really amount to much more than that. We've failed to invest in the "zero" value places and "zero" value trade relationships because the treasury has deemed them unworthy by the models. It's a completely farcical way to run a country.

Today they have reasserted the dominance of this failed predictive model in the UK, we're all going to have to get used to it because Labour or Tory, the same wankers in the treasury pushing the same broken models will exist and the nation will be starved of any kind of investment beyond maintenance of what already exists and a few token bits here and there.

Fibre optic is the classic example of this, 20 years ago countries in Eastern Europe, Asia and elsewhere were investing billions into fibre optic cabling despite the value of the internet and ecommerce being fairly low compared to where it is now. We had that opportunity but the same arseholes in the treasury blocked it because the multiplier on increasing the value of the internet was poor at the time. The bean counters can't see beyond their spreadsheets and the rubbish outputs they get from them. We're going to keep missing opportunities until someone goes in and sacks them all.

Electric vehicles another case in point.
    S Korea, a smaller economy, will have perhaps a quarter of the world market for battery manufacturing.
    One of their leading companies was an oil refiner until recently.
  • Options

eek said:

MaxPB said:

One has to be suspicious that the modelling is just 'rigged' to produce the answer that the arts graduate senior civil servants have already decided is good enough for the oinks of the North.
    Going to be painful when they are living with those oinks up North and discover how much they've screwed things up.
  • Options
    I’ll stop geeking out on rail stuff soon but - meanwhile - here’s the graph that shows how Leeds and East Midlands are getting shafted re passenger capacity

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1461359504310759434
  • Options
    Might be a vote on new social care amendments sneaked out by minister yesterday while everyone was rowing about sleaze.

With 100 2019 mainly Red Wall type MPs who now have less care of what whips tell them - this could be lost.

Be interesting to see if plans are pulled or Johnson tries to win the vote.
  • Options

The one good thing about Bozza was his belief in grands projets. Now, he’s lost even that. The hopeless little twerp has been sent packing by the big boys in the Treasury.

Where is the bridge to Ireland? Or the new airport in the N Sea?

He'll not have his name on anything except a remaindered book cover at this rate.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,617
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
    Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
    Because he's never stood up to anyone in his life. He's always had someone to do the standing up for him. It was Gilligan for cycle lanes in London, Frost for Brexit, Cummings for various things, Bingham for vaccines.

It's clear he doesn't have anyone to drive through levelling-up, or infrastructure improvements, so it dies.

*I’m a great admirer of Thatcher by the way, but her economic view is not fit for 2021.
    You a MMT fan?

No.

But I do note:

- The fear that 100% debt-to-GDP impaired economic growth has pretty much been debunked.

I therefore wonder why the hell we want to fetishise debt levels over the future prosperity of 65% of the country.

Anyway, my point about Thatcher was more about the general theory that you can deregulate your way to growth. That’s pretty much played out: the U.K. is low regulation, and high labour flexibility. Yet the “North” is still poor, and getting (comparatively) poorer. Why?
    I don't know why.

I agree we should be borrowing heavily in these times of low interest rates (which won't be along for much longer by my reading.)
    Like the Local Autonomy that got us out of the EU you mean :smile:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    There are some insights there imo, and i agree with the previous comment that pure Thatcherism won't meet the requirement.

To me "local autonomy" or "strategic autonomy" (to borrow a phrase) is quite important post-Brexit.

I'm quite surprised that strategic industrial/trade assets continue to be (sorry) spaffed away, even when we know that guarantees and promises are worth nothing. Inmarsat being the latest.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

There will be many on here who believe Boris was lying when he promised levelling up.

I don’t believe he was. His speech on levelling up - though shambling - demonstrated that he was actually right across the latest academic thinking on how to deliver growth.

At the same time, it was obvious (to me) right from the Budget in March, that this was not going to happen. Of course the spin at the time, accepted by most of the media, was of “big spending Rishi”.

I’m not sure when Boris figured out he was being played. Maybe not until very very recently.
  • Options

Might be a vote on new social care amendments sneaked out by minister yesterday while everyone was rowing about sleaze.

With 100 2019 mainly Red Wall type MPs who now have less care of what whips tell them - this could be lost.

Let's be clear here it's the constituents of those 100 Red Wall seats who will be the biggest losers in the new scheme.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

He didn't penny pinch at the last budget; he spent practically all the growth dividend didn't he?
  • Options
    David Herdson has joined The Yorkshire Party.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1461360223369654273
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    edited November 2021
    Becoming apparent what the plan really was.
    Make enough bullshit promises about Brexit opportunities and levelling up to win a majority.
    Use this to enrich further yourself and your already wealthy mates.
    In this sense, the pandemic has been a Godsend.
    Loads more juicy contracts and appointments to trough, and 18 months where everyone was too blindsided to notice.
    They'll probably get away with it too.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

The graph in that Graun article I linked to a little earlier is quite something. Very telling.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,448
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

He's made the Gove appointment. I took that to be a sign of intent but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic there.
    It's also a question whether he expects Mr Gove to succeed. And what the consequences might be for Mr Gove's career.

An interesting calculation - which now has to be redone.
    Should Gove now do a Johnson and resign. Become the 'True leveller' and make the leadership battle interesting. He could even drag Cummings back...

This would usefully distract him from breaking more things.

• Options

I didn't read it (although I did click to confirm the gist) but I assume it's very dry and for the PB crowd.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,336
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

He's made the Gove appointment. I took that to be a sign of intent but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic there.
    Yes, Gove has had a reputation of being able to drive change through (at Education) and of being able to form his own view (at Environment) that might surprise people in being not completely wrong all the time. So appeared to be a sign of serious intent.

Clear now that Johnson doesn't forgive him for 2016, and Gove is now in charge of a zombie department.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It's also a question whether he expects Mr Gove to succeed. And what the consequences might be for Mr Gove's career.

Should Gove now do a Johnson and resign. Become the 'True leveller' and make the leadership battle interesting. He could even drag Cummings back...

This would also distract him from breaking more things.

Rather depends how popular Mr Gove is with both the Red Wall MPs and the old second jobs and Brexit guard, and (separately) with the CP membership. Amd who else might be more popular.
  • Options
    I think what's also so damning of the government decision here is that they've done it to save £4bn and at the same time their acolytes and donors have siphoned off 5x that figure in PPE and virus testing over the last 18 months. Someone in the Labour party needs to add it up and stick it on billboards all over the North.
  • Options
    RIP English cricket.

The UK government may take the "nuclear option" of creating an independent regulator if the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) does not "put its house in order" over racism, says sports minister Nigel Huddleston.

On Tuesday, Azeem Rafiq addressed a DCMS select committee about his experiences of racism as a player at Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59334174
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

He didn't penny pinch at the last budget; he spent practically all the growth dividend didn't he?
    1. No
    2. What growth dividend
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

1. No
    2. What growth dividend
    There definately was a growth dividend of IIRC about 3/4pc GDP for a year or two.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

This would also distract him from breaking more things.

Rather depends how popular Mr Gove is with both the Red Wall MPs and the old second jobs and Brexit guard, and (separately) with the CP membership. Amd who else might be more popular.
    If Gove wants to be PM, reinstating the original rail plans and a proper plan to level up the North is the only way he could differentiate himself from the likely candidates and win over Red Wall MPs.

• Options
    eek said:

Let's be clear here it's the constituents of those 100 Red Wall seats who will be the biggest losers in the new scheme.
    There aren't 100 Red Wall Tory seats. Unless your definition is anywhere north of Birmingham.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Final point on why we're all fucked by the Treasury's addiction to outdated models - they are unable to deal with the concept of making something where nothing previously existed. It's why we're in the slow lane for investment outside of a few specialist areas funded by the MoD budget (which the treasury has repeatedly tried to cut). If something is zero in a model it can't ever really amount to much more than that. We've failed to invest in the "zero" value places and "zero" value trade relationships because the treasury has deemed them unworthy by the models. It's a completely farcical way to run a country.

Today they have reasserted the dominance of this failed predictive model in the UK, we're all going to have to get used to it because Labour or Tory, the same wankers in the treasury pushing the same broken models will exist and the nation will be starved of any kind of investment beyond maintenance of what already exists and a few token bits here and there.

Fibre optic is the classic example of this, 20 years ago countries in Eastern Europe, Asia and elsewhere were investing billions into fibre optic cabling despite the value of the internet and ecommerce being fairly low compared to where it is now. We had that opportunity but the same arseholes in the treasury blocked it because the multiplier on increasing the value of the internet was poor at the time. The bean counters can't see beyond their spreadsheets and the rubbish outputs they get from them. We're going to keep missing opportunities until someone goes in and sacks them all.

S Korea, a smaller economy, will have perhaps a quarter of the world market for battery manufacturing.
    I keep banging on about renewables but it is an area where we should be leading the world. We can and should be developing and building our own wind turbines and battery storage facilities for use here and export. Be developing and building our own Hydrogen from seawater processing plants for use here and export. Using the expertise and natural resources we have to make ourselves relevant and self-sufficient.

But we aren't. Because investment is communism, and takes longer than the next election. So actually still being ahead in the polls is actually Better for Britain than a viable long-term future actually.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Yep but as I've just pointed out today Gove has been given 2 smashed legs and a broken arm to deal with before he starts work.

He's now on the back foot because literally every project that has been promised and hyped up for the past 2 years has just been jettisoned.
    The 'levelling up' part of the ministry name will be quietly dropped on a busy news day.

The harrying of the north is complete.

• Options

There will be many on here who believe Boris was lying when he promised levelling up.

I don’t believe he was. His speech on levelling up - though shambling - demonstrated that he was actually right across the latest academic thinking on how to deliver growth.

At the same time, it was obvious (to me) right from the Budget in March, that this was not going to happen. Of course the spin at the time, accepted by most of the media, was of “big spending Rishi”.

I’m not sure when Boris figured out he was being played. Maybe not until very very recently.
    You actually think he's noticed - I don't think he actually has....
  • Options

You absolutely should join him. You could end up running it!
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    JBriskin3 said:

I didn't read it (although I did click to confirm the gist) but I assume it's very dry and for the PB crowd.
    Doesn't take long. It's shorter than some BTL postings on PB.

I'm wondering, how many others from PB alone might? Interesting to see who has responded already.

There are a lot of Yorkshire folk; wouldn't need a very high percentage of the vote to get a large bloc of MPs, and today's news on the trains and social care will help.
  • Options
    MattW said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

You a MMT fan?

No.

But I do note:

I don't know why.

Like the Local Autonomy that got us out of the EU you mean :smile:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    There are some insights there imo, and i agree with the previous comment that pure Thatcherism won't meet the requirement.

To me "local autonomy" or "strategic autonomy" (to borrow a phrase) is quite important post-Brexit.

I'm quite surprised that strategic industrial/trade assets continue to be (sorry) spaffed away, even when we know that guarantees and promises are worth nothing. Inmarsat being the latest.
    LV too.

Again, the Thatcherite view is that this is all good because foreign investment brings capital into the country and increases productivity.

There’s a lot of truth in that.

The problem is that the U.K. has pushed this model very far now. We are now a net debtor rather when it comes to capital flows, whereas for 100s of years we were a net creditor.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

There aren't 100 Red Wall Tory seats. Unless your definition is anywhere north of Birmingham.
    For the social care plan it really is - the numbers impacted per a constituency will be in the low 000s..
  • Options
    Does this plan have to go to a vote? If it does I could see it being lost. My sense of it is that MPs are not happy, even Southern ones who can now see being an opposition MP in the not too distant future are probably not happy that the leadership is throwing it away for £4bn.

It's almost as if the Treasury has chosen this £4bn as its hill to die on after having spent £450bn on virus measures.
  • Options
  • Options

I don't have the time, I'm getting another promotion at work and I'm thinking of proposing next year.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,048
    From today's @ftopinion #BorisJohnsonOut #TorySleaze #ToryCorruption https://twitter.com/Banxcartoons/status/1461362681449836563/photo/1

• Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

1. No
    2. What growth dividend
    There definately was a growth dividend of IIRC about 3/4pc GDP for a year or two.
    In case you didn’t notice, we had Covid and still haven’t recovered to pre-March 20 levels.

Talk of a dividend is Treasury spin.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

who is David Herdson?
  • Options
    We discussed that earlier - it's an issue but it's also internal Labour politics at the moment.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,945

I didn't know he was racist!
  • Options
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

For the social care plan it really is - the numbers impacted per a constituency will be in the low 000s..
    Yet remember how an earlier version did for Mrs May. Very sensitive issue.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

I keep banging on about renewables but it is an area where we should be leading the world. We can and should be developing and building our own wind turbines and battery storage facilities for use here and export. Be developing and building our own Hydrogen from seawater processing plants for use here and export. Using the expertise and natural resources we have to make ourselves relevant and self-sufficient.

But we aren't. Because investment is communism, and takes longer than the next election. So actually still being ahead in the polls is actually Better for Britain than a viable long-term future actually.
    Hydrogen from water is a fools errand. Thermodynamic efficiency of electrolysis is appealing... So, unless you can do something interesting with catalysts.....

The problem is that if the government does investment it tends to pick using peanuts from West Africa to provide an alternative source of oil* Then spend all the money on that.

A better plan would restructure the financial incentives away from short term investment/financial engineering in the private sector and encourage longer term schemes with a slower payback.

*I actually pitched this one to an MP who seemed very keen on picking winners. So I thought he needed an idea. He was worryingly enthused.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2021
    BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?
    Used to post here (and write threads) frequently.

Very sharp punter and all round decent chap.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Good point. Hates Gove because of what happened in the 2016 leadership contest and is dishing out a slow brutal retribution, putting him in a series of shitty hard work jobs where he can't shine. Latest this one. Yep, makes sense.
  • Options

I don't have the time, I'm getting another promotion at work and I'm thinking of proposing next year.
    You can't marry your way to the next promotion! Sex yes, Machiavellian internal politicking yes. Marriage is a step too far.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Hydrogen from water is a fools errand. Thermodynamic efficiency of electrolysis is appealing... So, unless you can do something interesting with catalysts.....

The problem is that if the government does investment it tends to pick using peanuts from West Africa to provide an alternative source of oil* Then spend all the money on that.

A better plan would restructure the financial incentives away from short term investment/financial engineering in the private sector and encourage longer term schemes with a slower payback.

*I actually pitched this one to an MP who seemed very keen on picking winners. So I thought he needed an idea. He was worryingly enthused.
    At least it wasn't East Africa, with old Sherman tanks to provide the oomph.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol - I didn't take you for a Speccy reader Scott?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Why do you think the impact is going to be a longer term - as I mentioned earlier.

The first time it will be really picked up on is when Martin Lewis looks at it and reports the obvious flaws.
  • Options

isam said:

Boris is still leading on Gross Positive Leader Ratings, but Sir Keir is in the lead on Net Satisfaction.

The problem with the satisfaction test is that the question conflates "I like X" with "I think X is being successful" (and sometimes a bit of "I want X to do badly so I'm satisfied that he's crap"). Thus good poll ratings for X can push up a "doing well" rating with no actual change in whether people think X is any good. And vice versa.

Best PM may be better, though that tends to have an incumbency bias, since it's easier to imagine a current PM as suitable for the job.
    Apparently all the shrewdies knew the Conservatives were on course to win a majority in 2015 because Leader Ratings are more useful than VI. Mike Smithson used to think, and cited polling scientists as agreeing with him, that Gross Positives were more important than Net Satisfaction as well, but that seems to be no longer the case
  • Options
    ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

I read his final thread - it said he'd probably written more than a million words during his Saturday PB tenure.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

At least it wasn't East Africa, with old Sherman tanks to provide the oomph.
    You'd think wouldn't you....

But people fall for this stuff all the time....
  • Options
    A clip from 1998 of Boris Johnson, beer in hand, describing Dutch politics as being "immensely corrupt".
    https://twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/1461364321020104710
    https://youtu.be/oe1BC0zNUcE?t=182
  • Options
    46,807 - 199 deaths- 799 patients admitted
  • Options
    ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

Yes. And formerly active in and extremely knowledgeable about the Conservative Party. Called the loss of majority the weekend before 2017 from his canvassing in Yorkshire.
    Astonishing folk on here so much that a few suspected his account had been hacked.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

But if you have an endless supply of electricity (when the wind blows) and nothing else it can be used for?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

1. No
    2. What growth dividend
    In case you didn’t notice, we had Covid and still haven’t recovered to pre-March 20 levels.

They had more more cash in the current account than they suspected and Rishi spaffed it all.

I agree that a bit of Keynensianism wouldn't go a miss given low interest rates (but I guess that was kinda the furlough scheme) but he certainly wasn't penny pinching last budget.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

Yes. And formerly active in and extremely knowledgeable about the Conservative Party. Called the loss of majority the weekend before 2017 from his canvassing in Yorkshire.
    Astonishing folk on here so much that a few suspected his account had been hacked.
    He did, and people did think that. He also rowed back on the comment later that day
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

But if you have an endless supply of electricity (when the wind blows) and nothing else it can be used for?
    Compress air.
  • Options

But your county needs you.
  • Options
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Why do you think the impact is going to be a longer term - as I mentioned earlier.

The first time it will be really picked up on is when Martin Lewis looks at it and reports the obvious flaws.
    Er, I didn't say a longer term impact did I? Just commented earlier on the geographical and social impact on the North in particular.

But good point re Martin Lewis.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

1. No
    2. What growth dividend

They had more more cash in the current account than they suspected and Rishi spaffed it all.

I agree that a bit of Keynensianism wouldn't go a miss given low interest rates (but I guess that was kinda the furlough scheme) but he certainly wasn't penny pinching last budget.
    Tell me, then, where did it go?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,013
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

Can one be a member of both?

Someone posted 'Very sharp punter and all round decent chap"
    And I'd vote for that!
  • Options

You can't marry your way to the next promotion! Sex yes, Machiavellian internal politicking yes. Marriage is a step too far.
    Oh. but you can. Marrying the owner's daughter (or, now, son) is a recognised strategy.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

That someone like David should find himself homeless thanks to the Tories turning into the Johnson tribute act party should given some of them at least pause to reflect.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

PB is weighted towards railway fans. It may be news to many that everyone in the north of England travels by car (in the north of Scotland also boat and small plane) and plans to carry on doing so. This is especially true of those who bother to vote and live in Tory or Tory winnable seats.

The number of people appalled by the Aeschylean tragedy of HSwhatever number being cancelled with be dwarfed by the indifferent and those pleased that their rhubarb beds and whippet race tracks are not being subject to compulsory purchase orders to build it.

As a bona fide Yorkshireman I can assure you this is damaging to the Tories.

It's fitting this narrative that Government is prepared to spaff up billions on London and the South but not the North.
    It is indeed but as I've argued for years if you really wanted to help the North you'd recognise the North uses roads not rails for almost all transport and economic activity and that rails are a teeny, tiny obsessive primarily for people who work in Manchester or London.

If you really wanted to help the North then tens of billions invested in new motorways and roads - actually new motorways not turning hard shoulders into camera-operated lanes - would help the North far, far more.
    How does that get you anywhere any faster? - it may remove a few traffic jams (I would however seriously doubt it) but you can still only travel at 70mph.

70mph is reasonably fast. The problem is both that you can't always do 70mp and that you're forced to go on a much longer journey because you have to follow the limited amount of roads that are available.

If you were to build a string of new motorways, it would remove a lot of traffic jams, as vehicles wouldn't all be piled into the same pinch points like the M60 or M6/M62 interchange. But equally importantly it would allow more direct routes, so you wouldn't be compelled to go on stupidly long detours simply because the limited motorway network takes you that way.

I gave the example earlier today of Aintree to Bolton. They're 22 miles apart so should be about 18 minutes apart at 70mph but instead its a 1 hour journey. As the crow flies that's basically a straight line West to East and the M58 takes you halfway there in a virtually straight line. But because the M58 was only half-built, that's not the route to go.

Instead according to Google Maps the quickest route to take is to go South on the M57 past Knowsley until you reach the M62 interchange, then East on the M62 past Warrington until you get to Eccles, Manchester and the M60, through Manchester on the M60 until you reach the M61, then back North again on the A666.

What should be an 18 minutes point to point 70mph journey instead takes an hour, across four different motorways, going South then North again, and through some of the most congested roads in the Northwest in Manchester because there is no alternative built.

Its maddening.
    But there isn't enough demand to justify a direct road from Aintree to Bolton, you can only build the roads that have sufficient demand to warrant them being built.

And for reasons why your dream road will never be built see @MaxPB and @Gardenwalker 's discussion regarding Gravity models and their inability to go beyond amplifying what already exists.
    Well I agree with Max (and you?) that the models are flawed.

The latent demand is there it just needs to be tapped into by building it.

Warrington is a good example of what can be. Warrington is one of the fastest growing towns in the North for a while now. Is that because you can get an express train from Warrington to London? Because you can. No, is it heck.

Its because the town is well served by motorways. Along the north we've got the M62, to the East we've got the M6, along the South we've got the M56. As a result a lot of development has been ongoing facilitated by that. The J8 of the M62 (Burtonwood Interchange) with the Omega development has seen lots of businesses opening up and lots of homes have been built nearby too.

The biggest problem is that any time there's a collision on any of those three motorways in our vicinity then the whole town becomes a rat run that gets ground to a halt as people use the town as a bypass.

But overall the roads are incredible useful. If 'levelling up' were to be taken seriously, there should be a network of such motorways, like the tube network, criss-crossing the North. Finish the M58 properly upto the M61. Build my proposed M580 running from Liverpool through to Rochdale and connecting to the M62 East of Manchester. And so much more.

There's so much opportunity if we tap into it. Marginally faster trains or marginally more train capacity isn't it though.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

I lived in Vienna for a while and that's an abiding memory I have from there, the smell of shit. Horses the source in this case, which they have a lot of, trotting around the place, but still not a great aroma, especially after a while.

But anyway, enough of the crap anecdotes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,503
    edited November 2021
    Nigelb said:

I may well be living in Lancashire, if not Mordor Manchester itself at some point next year.

That might be a sticking point for some in the Yorkshire Party. LCCC membership may also be an issue.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,827
    ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

Called 2017 right so bluntly people thought he'd been hacked.
  • Options
    This whole thread is worth reading

👧👴 The MPs' second jobs debate has shown the remarkable rise of the 2019 Tory intake.

The age split in the Conservative parliamentary party has become "the red wall versus red corduroy", with big implications for policy.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1461361047059660813

Latest @FinancialTimes analysis https://www.ft.com/content/63fb5fbe-90a4-4f4e-80fb-19d5dab028c7
  • Options

46,807 - 199 deaths- 799 patients admitted

Its definitely not going down.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    isam said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?

He did, and people did think that. He also rowed back on the comment later that day
    Did he?
    The signs were all there in 2017. Folk simply refused to dispassionately see what was before their very eyes.

Edit. Quite a number hours after the first results.
    "Worst exit poll in history."
  • Options
    The Man in Seat 61
    @seatsixtyone
    ·
    25m
    How cancelling HS2’s eastern branch will create an east/west divide between Manchester & Leeds, both for inter-city travel & expansion of local/regional transport.

https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status/1461360154801102866
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I may well be living in Lancashire, if not Mordor Manchester itself at some point next year.

That might be a sticking point for some in the Yorkshire Party. LCCC membership may also be an issue.
    If it is to succeed, it will have to be an inclusive party.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,457
    isam said:

I didn't know he was racist!
    There is a serious point there - I've considered voting YP in the past, but when I looked into the local council candidates a few years back they seemed to include "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists". Things may have changed. The YP will need to get their act together if they want to become a serious force.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for David.
This discussion has been closed.