Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s Nightmare November continues with another bad poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited November 2021

46,807 - 199 deaths- 799 patients admitted

Its definitely not going down.
    Positive tests at 46,807 plus 14.5%

Deaths at 199 minus 9.8%

Admissions at 799 minus 2.9%

My daughter, her husband and 12 year old son all tested positive this week, are in isolation but working from home

Not feeling great but the vaccines doing the job and possibly keeping them out of hospital
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    kinabalu said:

If you can’t polish a turd, grow tomatoes from it.

https://twitter.com/kentindell/status/1461100613140467721?s=21

My dad did lots of work on sewage farms. Tomato plants were everywhere for this reason.

As far as I know he was never brave enough to pick any ...
    As I may have mentioned my dad fought in the Korean War. Though he didn’t talk that much abut it, one thing he did say was that the whole country smelled of shit. Human excrement was the main fertiliser and it being a largely agricultural country, the reek was pervasive. Bully beef and tinned jam all round..
    I lived in Vienna for a while and that's an abiding memory I have from there, the smell of shit. Horses the source in this case, which they have a lot of, trotting around the place, but still not a great aroma, especially after a while.

But anyway, enough of the crap anecdotes.
    Just been reading about Victorian cities. The shite dried and was pulverised by the wheels so there were clouds of the dust blowing around for people to breathe and into houses to permeate the carpets and contaminate the food.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This whole thread is worth reading

👧👴 The MPs' second jobs debate has shown the remarkable rise of the 2019 Tory intake.

The age split in the Conservative parliamentary party has become "the red wall versus red corduroy", with big implications for policy.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1461361047059660813

Latest @FinancialTimes analysis https://www.ft.com/content/63fb5fbe-90a4-4f4e-80fb-19d5dab028c7

What's wrong with wearing red corduroy?
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate just how shit our media class is. Where is anyone asking these fucking questions of Rishi, why is the treasury using the same economic modelling that failed to predict the rise of the internet and halted our investment in fibre optic cabling in the early 2000s?

The media is full of innumerate twats who don’t do detail.

Did you know, BTW, Boris used to be a journalist?
    Do you think a Treasury drone would be preferable to Boris?
    Fair question.

Something I wish I understood about Sunak but don't;

Does he go along with Treasury penny pinching because he believes in it, or is he just too small in stature and ability to argue against it?

I wish he'd spent time running a spending department on the way up.
    He didn't penny pinch at the last budget; he spent practically all the growth dividend didn't he?
    1. No
    2. What growth dividend
    There definately was a growth dividend of IIRC about 3/4pc GDP for a year or two.
    In case you didn’t notice, we had Covid and still haven’t recovered to pre-March 20 levels.

Talk of a dividend is Treasury spin.
    They had more more cash in the current account than they suspected and Rishi spaffed it all.

I agree that a bit of Keynensianism wouldn't go a miss given low interest rates (but I guess that was kinda the furlough scheme) but he certainly wasn't penny pinching last budget.
    Tell me, then, where did it go?
    I can't remember at all where it went. I know it was only a few weeks ago. There was something about UC marginal tax.

But someone here had a wager on the amount of times Billion/s was stated and it came to about 50 I think.

I trust Rishi spent it wisely
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Selebian said:

isam said:

David Herdson has joined The Yorkshire Party.

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1461360223369654273

I didn't know he was racist!
    There is a serious point there - I've considered voting YP in the past, but when I looked into the local council candidates a few years back they seemed to include "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists". Things may have changed. The YP will need to get their act together if they want to become a serious force.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for David.
    Which is why the news is interesting - David definitely being none of those things.
  • Options

Positive tests at 46,807 plus 14.5%

Deaths at 199 minus 9.8%

Admissions at 799 minus 2.9%
    Hmm. Thinking about the different time lags involved.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

👧👴 The MPs' second jobs debate has shown the remarkable rise of the 2019 Tory intake.

The age split in the Conservative parliamentary party has become "the red wall versus red corduroy", with big implications for policy.

Latest @FinancialTimes analysis https://www.ft.com/content/63fb5fbe-90a4-4f4e-80fb-19d5dab028c7

Everything.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

I'd also like to take a moment to appreciate just how shit our media class is. Where is anyone asking these fucking questions of Rishi, why is the treasury using the same economic modelling that failed to predict the rise of the internet and halted our investment in fibre optic cabling in the early 2000s?

Because you miss the point of these sessions. The media wants a sound bite and a quick tweet. They don’t want or need a meaningful discussion
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Everything.
    And nothing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

Does he go along with Treasury penny pinching because he believes in it, or is he just too small in stature and ability to argue against it?

He didn't penny pinch at the last budget; he spent practically all the growth dividend didn't he?
    1. No
    2. What growth dividend
    There definately was a growth dividend of IIRC about 3/4pc GDP for a year or two.
    In case you didn’t notice, we had Covid and still haven’t recovered to pre-March 20 levels.

They had more more cash in the current account than they suspected and Rishi spaffed it all.

I agree that a bit of Keynensianism wouldn't go a miss given low interest rates (but I guess that was kinda the furlough scheme) but he certainly wasn't penny pinching last budget.
    I can't remember at all where it went. I know it was only a few weeks ago. There was something about UC marginal tax.

But someone here had a wager on the amount of times Billion/s was stated and it came to about 50 I think.

There was no dividend, only that the numbers weren’t as bad as previously feared.

To the extent that Rishi is spending it is to maintain the comfort of the Tory’s elderly base, and to keep the NHS from collapsing.

That’s it.
  • Options

No, don't like this post. It is Bad News that it is not going down. We need to drop the "oh aren't we/Boris marvellous for keeping our case numbers so low" nonsense. Our numbers have been a sustained dangerous high for several months and shows no signs of dissipating as we head into the danger period.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468
    Would be interesting to see regional polling (assuming this is national? dead link btw). Why should the average person in the south be annoyed about this, bigger picture issues for the country, for sure, but anger - such as it is - is surely more likely in the affected areas?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Selebian said:

isam said:

There is a serious point there - I've considered voting YP in the past, but when I looked into the local council candidates a few years back they seemed to include "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists". Things may have changed. The YP will need to get their act together if they want to become a serious force.

My dad voted for them at GE19.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

dixiedean said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?
    Used to post here (and write threads) frequently.

Very sharp punter and all round decent chap.
    Yes. And formerly active in and extremely knowledgeable about the Conservative Party. Called the loss of majority the weekend before 2017 from his canvassing in Yorkshire.
    Astonishing folk on here so much that a few suspected his account had been hacked.
    He did, and people did think that. He also rowed back on the comment later that day
    Did he?
    The signs were all there in 2017. Folk simply refused to dispassionately see what was before their very eyes.

Edit. Quite a number hours after the first results.
    "Worst exit poll in history."
    Yes, he posted that his canvassing feedback had made it seem likely May would lose the Tories Majority, which caused a great stir. I was one of the people who thought he’d been hacked I think. Later he posted that on reflection he might have been over doing it. But he was right first time
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

My dad did lots of work on sewage farms. Tomato plants were everywhere for this reason.

As I may have mentioned my dad fought in the Korean War. Though he didn’t talk that much abut it, one thing he did say was that the whole country smelled of shit. Human excrement was the main fertiliser and it being a largely agricultural country, the reek was pervasive. Bully beef and tinned jam all round..
    I lived in Vienna for a while and that's an abiding memory I have from there, the smell of shit. Horses the source in this case, which they have a lot of, trotting around the place, but still not a great aroma, especially after a while.

Just been reading about Victorian cities. The shite dried and was pulverised by the wheels so there were clouds of the dust blowing around for people to breathe and into houses to permeate the carpets and contaminate the food.
    One day our descendants will be saying the same about particulates from road traffic.

(Another reason why Philip “two cars for every household; one motorway for every village” is probably wrong).
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

MaxPB said:

Fair question.

1. No
    2. What growth dividend

There was no dividend, only that the numbers weren’t as bad as previously feared.

To the extent that Rishi is spending it is to maintain the comfort of the Tory’s elderly base, and to keep the NHS from collapsing.

That’s it.
    There was a dividend because recovery from pandemic is much better than we expected.

I suspect we're both getting a bit bored by this now.

I'm taking a screen-break.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557

He's slow to the party. 45 years ago I was on the terraces at Elland Road as the assembled masses regaled us with "YRA, we're Yorkshire's Republican Army, we're barmy".
  • Options

No, don't like this post. It is Bad News that it is not going down. We need to drop the "oh aren't we/Boris marvellous for keeping our case numbers so low" nonsense. Our numbers have been a sustained dangerous high for several months and shows no signs of dissipating as we head into the danger period.
    It's not going down. It's not going away. Despite what some might have you believe.

1,000+ deaths a week is not minor.

Take care y'all.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    kle4 said:

ping said:

BigRich said:

who is David Herdson?
    Used to post here (and write threads) frequently.

Very sharp punter and all round decent chap.
    Called 2017 right so bluntly people thought he'd been hacked.
    Yes he seemed to pick it up from canvasing on eve of poll and it was very blunt and out of character. Frankly I had assumed that he had just had a dodgy session like we all get, you know just a bit of bad luck in hitting a number of random switchers against the trend. Apparently not. It was the first indication of what was to come.
  • Options
    Bit of a twist in the tale..

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

isam said:

Which is why the news is interesting - David definitely being none of those things.
    Yep. I'll definitely take another look next time we have an election.

They don't have a candidate for the N Yorks PCC, interestingly. I know no one cares about that, but still...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    edited November 2021

Scott_xP said:

If you have to ask it may be too late for you.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Would be interesting to see regional polling (assuming this is national? dead link btw). Why should the average person in the south be annoyed about this, bigger picture issues for the country, for sure, but anger - such as it is - is surely more likely in the affected areas?
    Not sure why the tweet is not available but if you look up yougov they do have regional figures
  • Options
    Government spin: We're giving the North £96 billion in rail improvements,

The reality: Mersey metro mayor Steve Rotheram on the govt’s “offer” of a new Liverpool rail station….if Liverpool pays for it

"My wife says I can have a Lamborghini if I pay for it"

https://twitter.com/Rob_Merrick/status/1461369210752413698
  • Options
    Hamas calls @justinbieber to cancel his expected show in Israel

https://twitter.com/eliorlevy/status/1461366522308354048
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1461331841714167808

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
    Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
    Because he's never stood up to anyone in his life. He's always had someone to do the standing up for him. It was Gilligan for cycle lanes in London, Frost for Brexit, Cummings for various things, Bingham for vaccines.

It's clear he doesn't have anyone to drive through levelling-up, or infrastructure improvements, so it dies.
    He's made the Gove appointment. I took that to be a sign of intent but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic there.
    It's also a question whether he expects Mr Gove to succeed. And what the consequences might be for Mr Gove's career.

An interesting calculation - which now has to be redone.
    Good point. Hates Gove because of what happened in the 2016 leadership contest and is dishing out a slow brutal retribution, putting him in a series of shitty hard work jobs where he can't shine. Latest this one. Yep, makes sense.
    The risk being that Gove might do him in one more time.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Final point on why we're all fucked by the Treasury's addiction to outdated models - they are unable to deal with the concept of making something where nothing previously existed. It's why we're in the slow lane for investment outside of a few specialist areas funded by the MoD budget (which the treasury has repeatedly tried to cut). If something is zero in a model it can't ever really amount to much more than that. We've failed to invest in the "zero" value places and "zero" value trade relationships because the treasury has deemed them unworthy by the models. It's a completely farcical way to run a country.

Today they have reasserted the dominance of this failed predictive model in the UK, we're all going to have to get used to it because Labour or Tory, the same wankers in the treasury pushing the same broken models will exist and the nation will be starved of any kind of investment beyond maintenance of what already exists and a few token bits here and there.

Fibre optic is the classic example of this, 20 years ago countries in Eastern Europe, Asia and elsewhere were investing billions into fibre optic cabling despite the value of the internet and ecommerce being fairly low compared to where it is now. We had that opportunity but the same arseholes in the treasury blocked it because the multiplier on increasing the value of the internet was poor at the time. The bean counters can't see beyond their spreadsheets and the rubbish outputs they get from them. We're going to keep missing opportunities until someone goes in and sacks them all.

Electric vehicles another case in point.
    S Korea, a smaller economy, will have perhaps a quarter of the world market for battery manufacturing.
    One of their leading companies was an oil refiner until recently.
    I keep banging on about renewables but it is an area where we should be leading the world. We can and should be developing and building our own wind turbines and battery storage facilities for use here and export. Be developing and building our own Hydrogen from seawater processing plants for use here and export. Using the expertise and natural resources we have to make ourselves relevant and self-sufficient.

But we aren't. Because investment is communism, and takes longer than the next election. So actually still being ahead in the polls is actually Better for Britain than a viable long-term future actually.
    Hydrogen from water is a fools errand. Thermodynamic efficiency of electrolysis is appealing... So, unless you can do something interesting with catalysts.....

(Snip)
    In most cases, I'd agree. However, where the source of renewable electricity is cheap and plentiful, yet the sink is far away, it may make sense. Like the JCB deal for green hydrogen from Australia.

In Oz, you could build massive solar and wind power plants, far in excess of national consumption. Hydrogen - despite its transportation difficulties - is an interesting way of exporting that power thousands of miles to customers.
  • Options

The reality: Mersey metro mayor Steve Rotheram on the govt’s “offer” of a new Liverpool rail station….if Liverpool pays for it

It seemed to persuade Big G though, so that’s another election Boris will be able to rely on a vote in Panty y Coed.
  • Options
    Tweet:

• Options
    BBC Wales

NHS Wales worst performance and under unsustainable pressure
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Sustained dangerous high? The vast majority of those cases are amongst children. Deaths are the important figure, and those remain far below the previous peaks.
  • Options

If that's genuine ... Ooops.

I was listening to Nicky Campbell on R5L this morning (and earlier in the week) whilst driving. He was almost raising Rafiq to sainthood.

Yep, and it looks as though they're genuine: he's apologised.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-antisemitic-text-messages-87snclgr5
  • Options

And Azeem Rafiq's apology, posted with it

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

One might have thought they would approve of such pain and suffering being inflicted on the enemy.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited November 2021

Just breaking on BBC now and he is ashamed of it and is posted an apology
  • Options

It seemed to persuade Big G though, so that’s another election Boris will be able to rely on a vote in Panty y Coed.
    I know, how gullible do you have to be to believe a Boris Johnson promise/spin.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Not sure why the tweet is not available but if you look up yougov they do have regional figures
    Thanks. Tweet deleted maybe, can't see anything in their feed.

Anyway, here's the web link for those interested:
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/11/18/98559/1

TLDR: North more against (cancellation), under 50s against cancellation, over 65s pro cancellation; Con and Leave pro cancellation; no Con and remain anti cancellation
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
    Breaking news Azeem Rafiq apologises after historical antisemitic text messages emerge…
    More next @SkyNews https://twitter.com/skysarahjane/status/1461370951422066690/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Breaking news Azeem Rafiq apologises after historical antisemitic text messages emerge…
    More next @SkyNews https://twitter.com/skysarahjane/status/1461370951422066690/photo/1

Cancelled in 3...2...1...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
    Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
    Because he's never stood up to anyone in his life. He's always had someone to do the standing up for him. It was Gilligan for cycle lanes in London, Frost for Brexit, Cummings for various things, Bingham for vaccines.

It's clear he doesn't have anyone to drive through levelling-up, or infrastructure improvements, so it dies.
    He's made the Gove appointment. I took that to be a sign of intent but maybe I'm being a bit optimistic there.
    Yes, Gove has had a reputation of being able to drive change through (at Education) and of being able to form his own view (at Environment) that might surprise people in being not completely wrong all the time. So appeared to be a sign of serious intent.

Clear now that Johnson doesn't forgive him for 2016, and Gove is now in charge of a zombie department.
    Yep, pettiness is a big driver with Johnson. I think that's right and it explains this.
  • Options
    Rafiq posting a couple of stupid things as a teenager does not excuse the institutional racism of YCCC done by adults against the same teenager and later as a man.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It's also a question whether he expects Mr Gove to succeed. And what the consequences might be for Mr Gove's career.

An interesting calculation - which now has to be redone.
    Good point. Hates Gove because of what happened in the 2016 leadership contest and is dishing out a slow brutal retribution, putting him in a series of shitty hard work jobs where he can't shine. Latest this one. Yep, makes sense.
    The risk being that Gove might do him in one more time.
    Doesn't matter if there is already a queue forming, does it? If.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Terrorists with taste?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021

You've been sharing this hyperventilating bullshit for months now. Still no danger.

The numbers are perfectly fine. Most don't get sick from these cases, some people do get sick, we live with that. Get over it already.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Everyone will have their fifteen minutes of shame;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BDRrl1pq3I
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

isam said:

My dad voted for them at GE19.
    I don't wish to impugn his character :wink:

Parl candidate presumably better checked - I can understand oddities getting candidature for council positions (happens for the main parties too, as we've seen!)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

All Boris needs to do is fool people some of the time (once every 4 years provided he can time it correctly and people forget the past).

What Labour needs to do is focus on the broken promises and repeat them until they are remembered.
  • Options
    eek said:

All Boris needs to do is fool people some of the time (once every 4 years provided he can time it correctly and people forget the past).

What Labour needs to do is focus on the broken promises and repeat them until they are remembered.
    Is it cynical of me to think that they'll find additional money to actually go ahead with the program just in time for the next election?
  • Options
    This is breathtaking. He actually has the nerve to say ‘of course there are going to be people who want everything at once’. The Tories promised a Northern transport revolution SEVEN years ago. We’ve had sixty press releases since then and every single promise has been broken.
    https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1461372213182054411
    https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1461336742913527814
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,894
    edited November 2021

Rafiq posting a couple of stupid things as a teenager does not excuse the institutional racism of YCCC done by adults against the same teenager and later as a man.

No it doesn't, but it is unfortunate for the cause that he has some skeletons in the closet. It's not like Rosa Parks was the first person to protest on a bus, but others were not in the right time or place, or were not the right fit for some reason.

Had this come to light back when the story was not garnering much national attention it might have stopped it in its tracks. As it is there is enough corroboration and testimony and initial actions that hopefully momentum is on the side of taking effective action.

Edit: There is one potentially relevant part of it though, as his saying he checked his account suggests to me that he had completely forgotten it had happened, which I can believe, but he was pretty critical of people not seeing/remembering things.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Becoming apparent what the plan really was.
    Make enough bullshit promises about Brexit opportunities and levelling up to win a majority.
    Use this to enrich further yourself and your already wealthy mates.
    In this sense, the pandemic has been a Godsend.
    Loads more juicy contracts and appointments to trough, and 18 months where everyone was too blindsided to notice.
    They'll probably get away with it too.

Yes, the pandemic was brilliant for Johnson. Cover for all sorts.
  • Options

Absolutely. He has done a valuable thing in exposing racism in cricket. However, it does open a question as to whether he was as much a part of the toxic culture as people he complains about.
  • Options
    Letter to Boris Johnson from 30 northern leaders (incl. one Tory, Bolton's Martyn Cox): "Your decision, contrary to your ambition to “level-up” the North, runs the risk of holding back our regional economies & compromising our plans to cut carbon emissions, just days after COP26" https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/1461366060691570699/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is breathtaking. He actually has the nerve to say ‘of course there are going to be people who want everything at once’. The Tories promised a Northern transport revolution SEVEN years ago. We’ve had sixty press releases since then and every single promise has been broken.

I'd like to see that claim fact-checked.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Or, if female, besotted?
  • Options

I am content with today's announcement no matter how much sniping I receive
  • Options

Say it isn't so
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Say it isn't so!
  • Options
    isam said:

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

There was an article in The Times which had those sort of figures.
  • Options

I was listening to Nicky Campbell on R5L this morning (and earlier in the week) whilst driving. He was almost raising Rafiq to sainthood.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/azeem-rafiq-apologises-for-antisemitic-text-messages-87snclgr5
    It makes him as bad* as those he has been accusing. But it doesn't do anything to reduce the seriousness of his allegations against YCCC.

*historically, at least and maybe not as bad - maybe better, maybe worse - depends how you rate different levels of bigotry, not sure it's that important to come to a conclusion on that
  • Options

Of course you are, that’s my point.

As we see in the poll breakdown, these measures so have support from the grasping elderly, who are voting - perhaps rationally - to maintain the country in stagnation.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't doubt the number, rather the claim that every single one of them was completely false.
  • Options

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    No, he has confirmed it is, and is ashamed of his behaviour. What more do you want him to do?
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.
  • Options

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

There's a difference between bad remarks made by people years ago that they apologise for when brought up - and doing racist stuff today and covering it up when people complain.
    Sure, but isn't this whole story about what people did years ago?
  • Options

Terrorists with taste?
    Given their animosity towards Israel, you'd think they'd be urging him not to cancel?
  • Options

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

Indeed. It doesn't detract from what has been said and can't be unsaid at Headingley, Chelmsford, Taunton, ...
  • Options
    eek said:

Anything to ensure money is spent on your usually triple-locked pension and NHS...
    I am sure you are aware that the NHS here in Wales is the responsibility of Drakeford and Welsh Labour and it has been announced in the last half an hour of it's worst ever performance

The pension rise is 3.1% in 22 and not triple locked
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

No, the Rafiq stuff is about now.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Selebian said:

It makes him as bad* as those he has been accusing. But it doesn't do anything to reduce the seriousness of his allegations against YCCC.

*historically, at least and maybe not as bad - maybe better, maybe worse - depends how you rate different levels of bigotry, not sure it's that important to come to a conclusion on that
    He was an 18-19 year old in a laddish culture. Just a good thing Spurs didn't play against Barnsley often.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

No, the Rafiq stuff is about now.

You've got people in charge at Yorkshire right now who think using Zimbo for Zimbabwe is racist and worth of disciplinary action but calling someone a Paki isn't.
    Thanks, I was focusing too much on the Vaughn aspect.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

Absolutely. He has done a valuable thing in exposing racism in cricket. However, it does open a question as to whether he was as much a part of the toxic culture as people he complains about.
    It provides evidence for the assertion once often made by @SeanT, late of this parish, that racism is a natural and inevitable part of the human condition, against which struggle is vain and futile.

I'd prefer to think that wasn't true.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575

Sub optimal tactics here. If you are going on this sort of campaign and you know perfectly well there is stuff in the public domain that shows meaningful inconsistency (and all younger people know what social media is about, and how it will be tracked) then you say so during your opening shots and before the press gets hold of it first. The golden rule is 'Thou shalt not be found out'. If you find yourself out first and say so, it softens the whole thing.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't doubt the number, rather the claim that every single one of them was completely false.
    Pretty much were, just remember Boris Johnson's speech outside No 10 when he became PM and compare with today.

On the HS2 stuff he is lying so much you can smell the bullshit in Chile.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502

There are plenty of historical examples of people/groups complaining about racism real, actual racism and being racist themselves.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

No, but it is revealing. Ollie Robinson was pilloried for similar. Don't forget Rafiq's relationship with Ballance too.

I'm not defending racists, but people in glass houses...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carnyx said:

You absolutely should join him. You could end up running it!
    I don't have the time, I'm getting another promotion at work and I'm thinking of proposing next year.
    You can't marry your way to the next promotion! Sex yes, Machiavellian internal politicking yes. Marriage is a step too far.
    Oh. but you can. Marrying the owner's daughter (or, now, son) is a recognised strategy.
    Worked for us
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Imagine not being able to spell "etc" right.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Final point on why we're all fucked by the Treasury's addiction to outdated models - they are unable to deal with the concept of making something where nothing previously existed. It's why we're in the slow lane for investment outside of a few specialist areas funded by the MoD budget (which the treasury has repeatedly tried to cut). If something is zero in a model it can't ever really amount to much more than that. We've failed to invest in the "zero" value places and "zero" value trade relationships because the treasury has deemed them unworthy by the models. It's a completely farcical way to run a country.

Today they have reasserted the dominance of this failed predictive model in the UK, we're all going to have to get used to it because Labour or Tory, the same wankers in the treasury pushing the same broken models will exist and the nation will be starved of any kind of investment beyond maintenance of what already exists and a few token bits here and there.

Fibre optic is the classic example of this, 20 years ago countries in Eastern Europe, Asia and elsewhere were investing billions into fibre optic cabling despite the value of the internet and ecommerce being fairly low compared to where it is now. We had that opportunity but the same arseholes in the treasury blocked it because the multiplier on increasing the value of the internet was poor at the time. The bean counters can't see beyond their spreadsheets and the rubbish outputs they get from them. We're going to keep missing opportunities until someone goes in and sacks them all.

S Korea, a smaller economy, will have perhaps a quarter of the world market for battery manufacturing.
    I keep banging on about renewables but it is an area where we should be leading the world. We can and should be developing and building our own wind turbines and battery storage facilities for use here and export. Be developing and building our own Hydrogen from seawater processing plants for use here and export. Using the expertise and natural resources we have to make ourselves relevant and self-sufficient.

But we aren't. Because investment is communism, and takes longer than the next election. So actually still being ahead in the polls is actually Better for Britain than a viable long-term future actually.
    Hydrogen from water is a fools errand. Thermodynamic efficiency of electrolysis is appealing... So, unless you can do something interesting with catalysts.....

(Snip)
    In most cases, I'd agree. However, where the source of renewable electricity is cheap and plentiful, yet the sink is far away, it may make sense. Like the JCB deal for green hydrogen from Australia.

In Oz, you could build massive solar and wind power plants, far in excess of national consumption. Hydrogen - despite its transportation difficulties - is an interesting way of exporting that power thousands of miles to customers.
    Long distance HVDC interconnect a better one.
    Morocco/UK is nothing; Chile is proposing a trans Pacific cable to Asia.

That's with current technology.
    Economic large scale electrolysis needs further technical development, though it's getting closer.
  • Options

eek said:

Anything to ensure money is spent on your usually triple-locked pension and NHS...
    I am sure you are aware that the NHS here in Wales is the responsibility of Drakeford and Welsh Labour and it has been announced in the last half an hour of it's worst ever performance

Why do you think I included the word "usually" - as for the NHS even in Wales it's still 100% paid for by tax payers money...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Thankfully not quite that bad in Vienna. They did shovel it up fairly frequently. It is a vivid memory though. After work, super cold, huddled in a heavy coat, standing at a stall in the grand central square, slugging schnapps and eating a big sausage, the smell of horse poo all around, wondering wtf I was doing there.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited November 2021
    Had a bit of a game at the walk-in vaccination centre today.

I took my 16 year old for her second vaccination and they sat her down, took her details, and on discovering her age said she wasn't eligible.

The nurse pulled her supervisor over (he was wearing NHS clothing) and he started spouting the rules that second jabs only allowed for vulnerable 16/17 year olds unless within three months of 18th bday. I pointed out that he was quoting the old rules which changed on Monday and that the new rules were affective immediately.

He hadn't a clue what I was talking about - Googled a bit and obviously found something and said "well we haven't been informed - come back after next Tuesday (??) our indemnity won't' cover etc etc ...".

So my daughter, who I had taken out of school to attend, rolled her sleeve back up and they cracked on with my booster jab instead.

On standing up to leave the supervisor motioned for us to sit down while he made a call and then back-tracked and gave her the jab.

Amazing that I knew more about vaccine eligibility than the staff in the vaccination centre.

• Options
    edited November 2021

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    He can do what he likes, I don't care. It makes him look a bit of a prick though; sanctimonious and pious about how the likes of Joe Root are so used to casual racism that they don't remember hearing it in nightclubs, then found to be an anti-semite himself

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Pretty much were, just remember Boris Johnson's speech outside No 10 when he became PM and compare with today.

On the HS2 stuff he is lying so much you can smell the bullshit in Chile.
    That's why I'd like to see it fact checked, with each statement shown to have been false. I think that would be a pretty powerful thing for the opposition to show.
  • Options

No, but it is revealing. Ollie Robinson was pilloried for similar. Don't forget Rafiq's relationship with Ballance too.

At least

1) he didn't delete it quietly
    2) stood up and immediately said that he was responsible
    3) gave a proper sincere apology and removed it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

At least

Why delete it/remove it? It benefits him rather than anyone else
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

(Snip)

It'd be interesting to see the viability of a HVDC link from Oz to Asia, yet alone the UK ...

(As it happens, much of Asia has a great deal of renewable electricity potential of their own. Oz needs other markets long-term.)
  • Options
    eek said:

At least

Well he had no option given the evidence provided. Easy to deny something if you are relying in hearsay alone, as we have seen already.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Stocky said:

Had a bit of a game at the walk-in vaccination centre today.

I took my 16 year old for her second vaccination and they sat her down, took her details, and on discovering her age said she wasn't eligible.

The nurse pulled her supervisor over (he was wearing NHS clothing) and he started spouting the rules that second jabs only allowed for vulnerable 16/17 year olds unless within three months of 18th bday. I pointed out that he was quoting the old rules which changed on Monday and that the new rules were affective immediately.

He hadn't a clue what I was talking about - Googled a bit and obviously found something and said "well we haven't been informed - come back after next Tuesday (??) our indemnity won't' cover etc etc ...".

So my daughter, who I had taken out of school to attend, rolled her sleeve back up and they cracked on with my booster jab instead.

On standing up to leave the supervisor motioned for us to sit down while he made a call and then back-tracked and gave her the jab.

Amazing that I knew more about vaccine eligibility than the staff in the vaccination centre.

Not really - I find that after 30 seconds of targeted research I'm usually more aware of the rules than the person I'm talking to.
  • Options

eek said:

Have you thought about moving to England to reacquaint yourself with a perfect service?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

(Snip)

That's with current technology.
    Economic large scale electrolysis needs further technical development, though it's getting closer.
    The numbers suggest some strange alternatives - at the current rate of fall in the cost of batteries we might not be far off the idea of electricity tankers. Vehicles (maybe even ships) whose job it is transport power.
  • Options

Selebian said:

He was an 18-19 year old in a laddish culture. Just a good thing Spurs didn't play against Barnsley often.
    Yep, I worded my comment a bit clumsily. What I mean is that even if he was as bad as the people he has been accusing, his allegations are just as serious as they were before this came out.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,844
    Con 37% (-2) Lab 36% (+2) is a Con lead on 1% isn't it?

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

No, its about what people did a few weeks ago.

It was the YCCC refusing to take action against anyone today and calling it 'banter' rather than having serious apologies etc that led to this blowing up.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Am I missing something?

Yes, a typo in the header. 37 plays 37.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Am I missing something?

Survation have a tendency to have the Conservative vote share higher than other survey firms.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

Say it isn't so
    A good apology too.

No, its about what people did a few weeks ago.

It was the YCCC refusing to take action against anyone today and calling it 'banter' rather than having serious apologies etc that led to this blowing up.
    Sorry about that. As mentioned above, I was focusing too much on the Vaughn aspect and not the wider story.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

(Snip)

It'd be interesting to see the viability of a HVDC link from Oz to Asia, yet alone the UK ...

(As it happens, much of Asia has a great deal of renewable electricity potential of their own. Oz needs other markets long-term.)
    Found this... http://www.geni.org/globalenergy/library/technical-articles/transmission/cigre/present-limits-of-very-long-distance-transmission-systems/index.shtml

This discussion has been closed.