Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson’s Nightmare November continues with another bad poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Out of interest, you know how we're doing this axe-murdered plan to make it faster?

ECML upgrades in full: 2037
    HS2 to Nottingham: 2043
    Manchester - Leeds: 2043

Boris Johnson defends HS2 U-turn, saying ‘levelling up cannot wait that long
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/nov/18/raab-tories-boris-johnson-standards-reform-hs2-rail-uk-politics-live-latest-updates
    Can't wait that long? This is the report. Showing the timescale for the new faster plan. Subject to treasury reauthorisation of every step of the plan before it is authorised. Because this plan is not a commitment to build despite them saying so.

Levelling up cannot wait that long. Until 2043. Assuming it doesn't get quietly binned. Vote Conservative as we Build Back Better in the parliament after the parliament after next.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577
    TOPPING said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

Yesterday Boris Johnson admitted he crashed the car when it came to sleaze.

Today he has derailed the trains.

He’s taking the country absolutely nowhere.

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1461325245038698497

He's having a good week, Sir Keir, but he really needs to start appending these kinds of statements with what Labour will do. That's how to start building a government in waiting.

"...He's taking the country absolutely nowhere
    A Labour government will build HS3 and NPR, no ifs and buts"

etc. for each policy area. There is enough flexibility around timescales and funding that he need not worry about "unfunded promises" accusations, and I'm not sure they would stick anyway. Would just make the Tories look mean to the North.
    The accepted wisdom is that LotOs only need to articulate policies once a GE is in sight.

Generally those saying they need a policy from the Opposition NOW are govt supporters; and they only say it when the govt is in trouble.
    I get your point, but Labour has the opportunity to make this current chaos count and look like an alternative. The fact that the Tory vote share is down but much of the swing has gone to the Greens shows there is work to do. Not detailed new policies, but policy statements on popular issues. Remember the stunning success that approach had, years ahead of actual enactment, during the Brexit campaign e.g. the famed "Australian-style points system".

Otherwise I worry the swing away will be soft and temporary and swingback more likely.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

The Government's plan for #NorthernPowerhouseRail. There is some new track, going about half way across the Pennines. (This also shows, as expected, that HS2 will go to Manchester)

https://twitter.com/jonwalker121/status/1461300460313362435?s=20

That new track seems to connect Warrington with Huddersfield. Ideal for a Thursday night mid-table RL clash in 2050.
    But not for regional re-generation.
    Also, why does the "upgrade" stop at Northallerton?
    Northallerton is Rishi's train station, he lives a short distance from it.
    Well, nobody seems to have discussed today what the Scots might think about the complete foulup over HS2. But seems superfluous when the Yorkshirepersons, monkey-hangers and Geordies are doing an admirable job of assessment already.

Mind, I seem to recall Mr Johnson proclaiming how HS2 would strengthen the sinews of the Union.
    Ironically HS2 when completed will speed rail to Scotland
    But it will never now be completed. That is the whole point of the news today.
    The west coast HS2 will be completed speeding trains to Scotland
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

kle4 said:

kjh said:

Just heard Heidi Allen on R4. Apparently at one election a ballot paper had an erect penis against her name and a flaccid penis against her LD opponents name. It was counted as a vote for her.

Now I have been at quite a few counts, sometimes as an agent, and there is no way a returning officer would do that. I am guessing the 3 of them were having a bit of fun considering the 1 vote didn't change anything.

I have been at many counts and penises are usually accepted. With no dissent from any party. Absolutely returning officers accept that sort of thing.

Guidance on what to accept is quite liberal, so listing 1 and 2 would often accept the vote for 1, when I'd think it unclear as they could be rating not ranking them. If erect penis is a tick and a flaccid one a cross itd pass muster with many returning officers as being clear in intent (the tick cross thing is accepted as people sometime mark the wrong box but make clear which one they intend, so it's not rejected as voting for more than you can - people often tick one and cross all the others).

I'd say that's not certain so dont accept but where it doesnt matter you are right people tend to let it through, so I'm sure the story is true
    Great post, the variety we get on PB never ceases to amaze me.

The sheer chutzpah of beginning a post with: I have been at many counts and penises are usually accepted. is magnificent.
    There would be few candidates to stand on the stage otherwise.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

The Government's plan for #NorthernPowerhouseRail. There is some new track, going about half way across the Pennines. (This also shows, as expected, that HS2 will go to Manchester)

That new track seems to connect Warrington with Huddersfield. Ideal for a Thursday night mid-table RL clash in 2050.
    Well, nobody seems to have discussed today what the Scots might think about the complete foulup over HS2. But seems superfluous when the Yorkshirepersons, monkey-hangers and Geordies are doing an admirable job of assessment already.

Mind, I seem to recall Mr Johnson proclaiming how HS2 would strengthen the sinews of the Union.
    Correct. This will never be built:

"commitments will be made only to progress individual schemes up to the next stage of development, and a re-authorisation will be required at that point."
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

rpjs said:

RIP The Tory “Red Wall” 2019-2021. Funeral to be held at the next general election. No flowers: donations in lieu to the Boris Johnson “Crikey, I’m going to need a new job” Slush Fund.

None of the PM's since Macmillan (Douglas-Home was already) apart from Thatcher have been ennobled. I hope Mr Johnson doesn't have ambitions in that direction!
    He will be off to America starting a campaign to be President and getting $$$$$. And it doesn't matter if he is eligible or not, he can still fundraise regardless. No court will rule on his eligibility until necessary (see Ted Cruz for example, factcheck.org only has him as "most likely" to be eligible) and significant proportions believe Trump won the last election, many even that JFK is coming back to anoint him, so getting them to believe someone born in the US is a natural citizen will be trivial for Bozo.

rpjs said:

RIP The Tory “Red Wall” 2019-2021. Funeral to be held at the next general election. No flowers: donations in lieu to the Boris Johnson “Crikey, I’m going to need a new job” Slush Fund.

None of the PM's since Macmillan (Douglas-Home was already) apart from Thatcher have been ennobled. I hope Mr Johnson doesn't have ambitions in that direction!
    He will be off to America starting a campaign to be President and getting $$$$$. And it doesn't matter if he is eligible or not, he can still fundraise regardless. No court will rule on his eligibility until necessary (see Ted Cruz for example, factcheck.org only has him as "most likely" to be eligible) and significant proportions believe Trump won the last election, many even that JFK is coming back to anoint him, so getting them to believe someone born in the US is a natural citizen will be trivial for Bozo.
    I think he gave up his US citizenship for tax reasons.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

https://twitter.com/StephenJoseph7/status/1461321725518532609

Small print in Integrated Rail Plan: "commitments will be made only to progress individual schemes up to the next stage of development, and a re-authorisation will be required at that point." Cue @hmtreasury scrutiny before anything is built.

The same broken gravity models which have starved the north of investment will now be used to not build any of this stuff either. I've had so many arguments with our own "econometrics" people about the utility of the gravity model. They're addicted to them but compared to real world data they perform extremely poorly. One day, hopefully soon, people will realise that economics isn't a science and the predictive value of gravity modelling is very low. Yet our lives are effectively ruled by them from the treasury.
    I do wonder if the treasury will change it's viewpoint when half of them move North (or whether that move is going to rapidly peter out).
    Gravity modelling isn't really a London/not London thing. It's just not very good and basically says "hey this is successful today so it will be successful tomorrow, this isn't so it won't tomorrow either". A bit more complicated but essentially it starves less economically developed places of investment and doubles up in more economically developed ones. Hence London, Manchester and a few other places doing really well and the rest of the country getting two bits of fuck all.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

As HS2 East has just been partially scrapped you mean "HS2 West will be completed" as HS2 will not be completed.

You are aware that nothing has been committed to. When you say it will be completed. In 2042. It will have had to survive multiple rounds of reauthorisation. Which in the real world we know it will not.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Since you're an expert on this, can you find any of the current on average 83 minute trains from York to Manchester?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Very moving account by Lord Monson on WatO (13.30) of the death of his son.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    edited November 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Well to Glasgow Central - HS2E is required to speed up travel to Edinburgh and everywhere else in Scotland.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Speaking as an occasional friend of @BorisJohnson, also as a fellow journalist: in 45 years of civil service and then public reporting, the only worse prime minister I have seen is Silvio Berlusconi.
    https://twitter.com/JohnGPeet/status/1461081436379926532

A more entertaining introduction than "Speaking an ardent pro-EU zealot, who's written as a journalist and for decades against Brexit ..."
    Do you not get it Philip. Boris got Brexit over the line. Your Brexit. That most sacred of political achievements. All down to Boris.

And you know what? He was a tosser not giving a damn, still less knowing anything about it or anything else then and he is a tosser not giving a damn, still less knowing anything about it or anything else now.

And he is the guy that is your hero. Boris supported Brexit; he is Brexit. And like everything else he supports it therefore merits a huge scepticism as to its value.
    No you don't get it. Boris may be a tosser not giving a damn, but he's our tosser not giving a damn.

If we want a different tosser who will give a damn, then we can vote for one. That's Brexit.
  • Options

The truth is, the cancelled program was utterly essential to any attempt to address the appalling underperformance of cities outside London.

This really is two countries - London and the SE, possibly *the* global capital for services - and the rest (65% of the bloody population!) which is now falling behind parts of the old Warsaw Pact in terms of productivity and thereby income levels.

My great hope for Johnson was that he is almost unique in the Tory Party in his affection for large scale infrastructure projects.

But even he couldn’t punch through the disastrous, self-defeating penny-wise mania of the gradgrinds in Treasury.

Forget politics, this is a very sad day for this country.

It's the same awful gravity models you hold so dear that is driving this. The econometricians and their "science" of economics say putting money into these places will yield no multiplier so the treasury has shit canned it.

One day, maybe soon, you'll agree with me that economics is full of bullshit artists who know fuck all about fuck all and the country would be a better place if we stuck them all on a boat and floated it out into the Atlantic.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

What a shambles. You can hardly see the screw ups for the screw ups atm. Johnson seems to be unravelling at a rate of knots, yet I find I'm taking no pleasure in it. It's the patriot in me, I suppose. When all's said and done I want the best for the UK. And the fact is, this bloke is our PM and quite likely to remain so for years, so I'd love to see him use this rocky period to reinvent himself. People do this sometimes so why not here. Let's see the facing of some hard truths then a reboot. Let's see a new Boris Johnson, one with integrity, grip and vision. Let's see a proper grown-up prime minister for what I like to think is a proper grown-up country. If I were advising him that's the 'tough love' message I'd give.

As a patriot who's probably overly bothered about our image abroad I am hoping the collapse comes fully, quickly and humiliatingly because I'd dearly love the rest of the world to stop conflating "Boris" with "Britain". We need to cut the knot, like - for a while at least - the USA did by turfing out Trump and electing Biden.

That doesn't require a change of government necessarily, it just needs a new leader (Rishi will do, Liz would not) who doesn't come across as a clown, seems morally upstanding and has a less antagonistic attitude to our neighbours particularly Ireland. Every time Britain is seen to be targeting Ireland the rest of the world thinks "there they go again".

Italy struggled to shake off the shadow of Berlusconi and he kept coming back. Our own Berlusconi needs to be more cleanly extricated from government.

So let him be gone and let's start rebuilding our global brand.
    Yes, I fear my Johnson 'reboot' is probably a pipedream. Nevertheless that would genuinely be my advice to him. Finger out, red boxes, upgrade the cabinet with talent not stoolies, and please please please stop making stupid jokes about everything.
    You strip out the stupid jokes and there's nothing left.
    I can totally relate to that.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

Speaking as an occasional friend of @BorisJohnson, also as a fellow journalist: in 45 years of civil service and then public reporting, the only worse prime minister I have seen is Silvio Berlusconi.

A more entertaining introduction than "Speaking an ardent pro-EU zealot, who's written as a journalist and for decades against Brexit ..."
    Do you not get it Philip. Boris got Brexit over the line. Your Brexit. That most sacred of political achievements. All down to Boris.

And you know what? He was a tosser not giving a damn, still less knowing anything about it or anything else then and he is a tosser not giving a damn, still less knowing anything about it or anything else now.

And he is the guy that is your hero. Boris supported Brexit; he is Brexit. And like everything else he supports it therefore merits a huge scepticism as to its value.
    No you don't get it. Boris may be a tosser not giving a damn, but he's our tosser not giving a damn.

If we want a different tosser who will give a damn, then we can vote for one. That's Brexit.
    Well, at least we're all agreed that Boris is a tosser.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Well to Glasgow Central - HS2E is required to speed up travel to Edinburgh and everywhere else in Scotland.
    Surely with HS2 to Crewe, Edinburgh-Euston will become a lot quicker than Edinburgh-King's Cross?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

As HS2 East has just been partially scrapped you mean "HS2 West will be completed" as HS2 will not be completed.

You are aware that nothing has been committed to. When you say it will be completed. In 2042. It will have had to survive multiple rounds of reauthorisation. Which in the real world we know it will not.
    I just do not see the HS2W not being completed by 2042
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

We always could.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    MaxPB said:

FFS

Small print in Integrated Rail Plan: "commitments will be made only to progress individual schemes up to the next stage of development, and a re-authorisation will be required at that point." Cue @hmtreasury scrutiny before anything is built.

The same broken gravity models which have starved the north of investment will now be used to not build any of this stuff either. I've had so many arguments with our own "econometrics" people about the utility of the gravity model. They're addicted to them but compared to real world data they perform extremely poorly. One day, hopefully soon, people will realise that economics isn't a science and the predictive value of gravity modelling is very low. Yet our lives are effectively ruled by them from the treasury.

I always found it funny that the Treasury gravity model that showed leaving the EU was a bad thing found that having no trade deal with the EU at all was better than being in the EEA. If you read the report they just asterisk it out and said "this doesn't make sense so we set it the difference to zero", without stopping to pause about the implications for the overall analysis.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Since you're an expert on this, can you find any of the current on average 83 minute trains from York to Manchester?
    Also can he tell me how trains from London can go beyond Glasgow Central at Glasgow?
  • Options
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Also can he tell me how trains from London can go beyond Glasgow Central at Glasgow?
    Oh Lordy.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

I just do not see the HS2W not being completed by 2042
    Why would it be completed? - the economic model for it is no longer valid due to the lack of HS3 - on which the economic model was dependent.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

I am talking about London to Glasgow
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

It's a little worse than that, actually: a few years ago, it was decided to move the Birmingham International to Crewe link from HS2 phase 2 to a phase 2a - essentially decoupling it from the main phase 2. Construction is expected to start on 2a in 2024.

Why is this important? The Crewe link allows trains on the classic network to access HS2 phase 1 to London much further north. It also makes it slightly easier to cancel the rest of the western leg as well...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It’s worth remembering that if Conservative MPs now get rid of Boris Johnson it will not be because he has done profound damage to the United Kingdom, to parliament, to truth or to the UK’s reputation abroad. It will be because he has done damage to them.
    https://twitter.com/gavinesler/status/1461230365457195017

To be fair that is how a democratic political system is supposed to work. You can't trust politicians to do the right thing based on philosopher king virtue. You just setup a system where people are incentivized to do the right thing for their own interest.
  • Options
    How about a PB meet on the Plymouth to Aberdeen train?

We could commandeer a few coaches and PBers just join along the route, we could have convivial chats on there, and then party when we get to Aberdeen.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

You were earlier talking about York to Manchester, so I'm following up on that.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,883
    It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1461331841714167808
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    MaxPB said:

The truth is, the cancelled program was utterly essential to any attempt to address the appalling underperformance of cities outside London.

This really is two countries - London and the SE, possibly *the* global capital for services - and the rest (65% of the bloody population!) which is now falling behind parts of the old Warsaw Pact in terms of productivity and thereby income levels.

My great hope for Johnson was that he is almost unique in the Tory Party in his affection for large scale infrastructure projects.

But even he couldn’t punch through the disastrous, self-defeating penny-wise mania of the gradgrinds in Treasury.

It's the same awful gravity models you hold so dear that is driving this. The econometricians and their "science" of economics say putting money into these places will yield no multiplier so the treasury has shit canned it.

One day, maybe soon, you'll agree with me that economics is full of bullshit artists who know fuck all about fuck all and the country would be a better place if we stuck them all on a boat and floated it out into the Atlantic.
    I’m not an economist, but—-

It’s not the economics profession per se, in fact it’s a kind of perverted accounting that controls Treasury thinking.

As you kind of say, “if it’s not there, don’t build it” seems to be the mantra.

It makes sense if you have no theory whatsoever of how economic growth happens.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Surely with HS2 to Crewe, Edinburgh-Euston will become a lot quicker than Edinburgh-King's Cross?
    London to Edinburgh ECML is 4 hours 29 fastest.

Fastest train Crewe to Edinburgh is 3 hours 13.

London Crewe is an hour so you save 16 minutes - provided there are no delays on the route and you don't need to wait 17 minutes (or more likely 45) for a connection.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    edited November 2021
    I don't care how cheaper or quicker the WCML is/will be I will always prefer to go to Scotland via the East Coast mainline, beautiful scenery along the way.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

You were earlier talking about York to Manchester, so I'm following up on that.
    I was only staying that I understood Shapps to say it would cut 28 minutes off the journey not make the journey 28 minutes
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It’s very clear from listening to the prime minister that the rethink of the eastern leg of HS2 is all about the politics of a new trainline running through Tory seats in midlands without new stations. They’ve clearly been scarred by the first leg from London- Birmingham

But the planning blight remains - so cancelling it doesn't solve any of the problems - it would be better to get the pain out the way and start building it.
  • Options

and then party when we get to Aberdeen.

Having partied in Aberdeen, this is the worst part of your plan...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

We always could.
    Who voted for Ursula von der Leyen and how do Europeans hold her to account for the vaccine screw ups?
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, all three circuits are meant to be good for Mercedes. But two are totally new and one (Abu Dhabi) is altered to try and encourage overtaking.

However, Interlagos was pretty strong for Mercedes too (looking at Verstappen/Bottas) and Hamilton had to cane his engine for two hours which will have an impact down the line.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

You were talking about London to Scotland, you only changed it to London to Glasgow when I pointed out it doesn't help the rest of Scotland at all.

A 10 minute difference on a 5 hour journey, no one is going to care 1 bit - with HS2E it was 35 minutes.

Yet speed isn't what is being gained here - it's capacity to add more local services and capacity to move freight in an eco-friendly matter that is going to be completely lost.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

You need to go to the Malmaison.
  • Options
    Incredibly, Lord Frost just told me triggering Article 16 would ‘create a new reality’.

It’s increasingly obvious he doesn’t know what he or the government would do next.

There is no plan and, given events of recent weeks that have weakened the Prime Ministers authority, no Cabinet backing for taking this path either.

Meanwhile the people of Northern Ireland are left out of the process and longing for stability.

There isn’t a ‘new reality’, only the mess he’s creating.

Coveney thinks a solution is possible by Christmas, let’s hope he’s right.

https://twitter.com/JennyChapman/status/1461324235914240005
  • Options
    Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

I always found it funny that the Treasury gravity model that showed leaving the EU was a bad thing found that having no trade deal with the EU at all was better than being in the EEA. If you read the report they just asterisk it out and said "this doesn't make sense so we set it the difference to zero", without stopping to pause about the implications for the overall analysis.

I think Max, and certainly you, are confused about gravity.

The gravity model of trade says that the closer you are to another country, the more likely you are to trade (especially goods) with them.

It’s highly predictive, although Brexiters don’t like this for some reason.

I can’t comment on your Treasury observation, although it sounds like shite.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

It’s not the economics profession per se, in fact it’s a kind of perverted accounting that controls Treasury thinking.

It absolutely is the whole bloody profession. They're all useless and like the pretence of being scientists when they aren't. One of my favourite things to do is goad them about how their Nobel prize is a facsimile of the real thing. They really don't like that one and they tend to to off in a huff.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    edited November 2021

We could commandeer a few coaches and PBers just join along the route, we could have convivial chats on there, and then party when we get to Aberdeen.

I'll be here waiting for you jollie fellows - if you need a place to stay the Ibis has good rates.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

What a shambles. You can hardly see the screw ups for the screw ups atm. Johnson seems to be unravelling at a rate of knots, yet I find I'm taking no pleasure in it. It's the patriot in me, I suppose. When all's said and done I want the best for the UK. And the fact is, this bloke is our PM and quite likely to remain so for years, so I'd love to see him use this rocky period to reinvent himself. People do this sometimes so why not here. Let's see the facing of some hard truths then a reboot. Let's see a new Boris Johnson, one with integrity, grip and vision. Let's see a proper grown-up prime minister for what I like to think is a proper grown-up country. If I were advising him that's the 'tough love' message I'd give.

As a patriot who's probably overly bothered about our image abroad I am hoping the collapse comes fully, quickly and humiliatingly because I'd dearly love the rest of the world to stop conflating "Boris" with "Britain". We need to cut the knot, like - for a while at least - the USA did by turfing out Trump and electing Biden.

That doesn't require a change of government necessarily, it just needs a new leader (Rishi will do, Liz would not) who doesn't come across as a clown, seems morally upstanding and has a less antagonistic attitude to our neighbours particularly Ireland. Every time Britain is seen to be targeting Ireland the rest of the world thinks "there they go again".

Italy struggled to shake off the shadow of Berlusconi and he kept coming back. Our own Berlusconi needs to be more cleanly extricated from government.

Yes, I fear my Johnson 'reboot' is probably a pipedream. Nevertheless that would genuinely be my advice to him. Finger out, red boxes, upgrade the cabinet with talent not stoolies, and please please please stop making stupid jokes about everything.
    I can totally relate to that.
    I think maybe you're being mean to me but it's ambiguous enough for me to pretend to myself that you're not.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    edited November 2021

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Yep fraid so.

The template I usually imagine for a top politician talking to his speechwriter is "Ok, it's good on the policies and the vision, I like that a lot, but can you put a couple of jokes in, just to lighten things up a bit?"

But for BJ, I imagine this reversed. "Ha ha ha. Some absolute crackers in there! Every one a winner what? It'll go down a storm. But listen, can we just have one or two girly swot policy type thingies as well, so it doesn't look like I'm totally taking the piss?"
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,137
    MaxPB said:

FFS

But if we accept that Economics is largely explanatory not predictive, an awful lot of people will have to stop talking bollocks, and whole consulting industries will wither and die. Won't anyone think of the poor Graduates being flung into the PowerPoint mills?! How will they survive?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

You were talking about London to Scotland, you only changed it to London to Glasgow when I pointed out it doesn't help the rest of Scotland at all.

A 10 minute difference on a 5 hour journey, no one is going to care 1 bit - with HS2E it was 35 minutes.

Yet speed isn't what is being gained here - it's capacity to add more local services and capacity to move freight in an eco-friendly matter that is going to be completely lost.
    In fairness it's possible to go the long way round from Edinburgh via Carlisle. But that would presumably add to the timetable crowding of the track diagram charts on the WCML as far as Warrington. And only useful if you want to go to places like Brum and London, rather than fine cities such as Newcastle or York. It's the London as the Black Hole of the UK thinking all over again (like making the northerners walk from Euston to St Pancras if they are so uppity as to want to go to the rest of Europe).
  • Options

Mr. Abode, all three circuits are meant to be good for Mercedes. But two are totally new and one (Abu Dhabi) is altered to try and encourage overtaking.

However, Interlagos was pretty strong for Mercedes too (looking at Verstappen/Bottas) and Hamilton had to cane his engine for two hours which will have an impact down the line.

Hamilton now has 4 engines 2 of which are in decent nick - and all the tracks now have long straights - something that Hamilton's latest engine seems to be built to make the most of.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

We always could.
    But we couldn't vote out Von Der Leyen.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

London Crewe is an hour so you save 16 minutes - provided there are no delays on the route.
    And if there is anything more than a 16 minute wait between trains, it is slower.

I don't really get this obsession with speed. The reason that I rarely travel by train is the cost.
  • Options

I don't care how cheaper or quicker the WCML is/will be I will always prefer to go to Scotland via the East Coast mainline, beautiful scenery along the way.

And strangely enough the best bits starts north of York where HS2E would have finished.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

A 10 minute difference on a 5 hour journey, no one is going to care 1 bit.
    As I understand it trains do go to Edinburgh along the West coast mainline and cut across at Abington

However, I am cannot asuage the anger of some but just how popular or otherwise thee decisions are will become fairly obvious soon in the polling
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

London Crewe is an hour so you save 16 minutes - provided there are no delays on the route.
    And if there is anything more than a 16 minute wait between trains, it is slower.

I don't really get this obsession with speed. The reason that I rarely travel by train is the cost.
    Advance purchases make it cost effective, on the day/7days before you travel prices are what make it expensive.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

It's a little worse than that, actually: a few years ago, it was decided to move the Birmingham International to Crewe link from HS2 phase 2 to a phase 2a - essentially decoupling it from the main phase 2. Construction is expected to start on 2a in 2024.

Why is this important? The Crewe link allows trains on the classic network to access HS2 phase 1 to London much further north. It also makes it slightly easier to cancel the rest of the western leg as well...
    Oh I know, hence my "by 2042 following multiple rounds of reauthorisation" comment.

HS2 is dead. They'll manage the connection to the WCML and then pull the rest. Remember that a few bits of upgrade of existing lines is as good - better even - as a new high speed line.

Whats more, with HS2 dead, the rest of the network is similarly screwed. Fewer trains than now, less freight, more trucks. Again again for some posters, if you run trains at a higher speed on existing lines you reduce capacity which means you reduce the number of trains you can run.

Hurrah!
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

The gravity model of trade says that the closer you are to another country, the more likely you are to trade (especially goods) with them.

No, the issue is that where there is nothing or very little it can't properly predict the multiplier so in most cases they set it to zero. So in this scenario where economic development in these northern places is quite low they rate the multiplier will also be very, very low and the absolute GDP gain will be tiny leading to a really low ROI. This also holds for trade deals, the gravity models uprate where stuff already exists and downrates where not a lot or nothing exists. It's fundamentally a broken way to look at any situation or investment. Gravity models would have us all invested in BT in 2005 and completely ignore Apple (and loads of investment houses did that).
  • Options

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

As I understand it trains do go to Edinburgh along the West coast mainline and cut across at Abingdon

However, I am cannot asuage the anger of some but just how popular or otherwise thee decisions are will become fairly obvious soon in the polling
    Just because something is popular in the polls means it is the right thing to do.

Appeasement used to poll pretty well...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Nigelb said:

Out of interest, you know how we're doing this axe-murdered plan to make it faster?

ECML upgrades in full: 2037
    HS2 to Nottingham: 2043
    Manchester - Leeds: 2043

Boris Johnson defends HS2 U-turn, saying ‘levelling up cannot wait that long
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/nov/18/raab-tories-boris-johnson-standards-reform-hs2-rail-uk-politics-live-latest-updates
    Can't wait that long? This is the report. Showing the timescale for the new faster plan. Subject to treasury reauthorisation of every step of the plan before it is authorised. Because this plan is not a commitment to build despite them saying so.

Levelling up cannot wait that long. Until 2043. Assuming it doesn't get quietly binned. Vote Conservative as we Build Back Better in the parliament after the parliament after next.
    That was my point.
    The entire statement is bollocks from start to finish.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

And strangely enough the best bits starts north of York where HS2E would have finished.
    York and Edinburgh are my two favourite cities in the country for romantic breaks, well Chester-le-Street as well because it has as an awesome castle.

Edit - and Alnwick, pronounced Anick.
  • Options
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

London Crewe is an hour so you save 16 minutes - provided there are no delays on the route and you don't need to wait 17 minutes (or more likely 45) for a connection.
    That's a bit misleading as those Crewe - Glasgow/Edinburgh trains stop quite a bit. I'd have thought they could flight a fast train to Glasgow and a fast train to Edinburgh once an hour and not lose too much capacity on the WCML.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

Scott_xP said:

You need to go to the Malmaison.
    Or Torry.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Pulling into Durham and seeing the castle and cathedral is one of the great sights of this country,
  • Options
    Aslan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

We always could.
    Who voted for Ursula von der Leyen and how do Europeans hold her to account for the vaccine screw ups?
    They vote for a domestic political party that promises to leave the EU.

Voila, as those awful foreigners might say.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

It absolutely is the whole bloody profession. They're all useless and like the pretence of being scientists when they aren't. One of my favourite things to do is goad them about how their Nobel prize is a facsimile of the real thing. They really don't like that one and they tend to to off in a huff.
    People are always saying that economists are a waste of money. Yet economists continue to be employed, often at quite good salaries. The theory of revealed preference tells me that at least some people therefore don't think economists are a waste of money.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

We always could.
    But we couldn't vote out Von Der Leyen.
    We did vote her out. We literally just voted to leave the EU.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Fishing said:

Pulling into Durham and seeing the castle and cathedral is one of the great sights of this country,
    It is.

Walking out of Durham station is quite the experience.

Durham is great, that viaduct.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

As I understand it trains do go to Edinburgh along the West coast mainline and cut across at Abington

Not Abington. Carstairs. And it's a slow way to get to Edinburgh.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Oh I know, hence my "by 2042 following multiple rounds of reauthorisation" comment.

HS2 is dead. They'll manage the connection to the WCML and then pull the rest. Remember that a few bits of upgrade of existing lines is as good - better even - as a new high speed line.

Whats more, with HS2 dead, the rest of the network is similarly screwed. Fewer trains than now, less freight, more trucks. Again again for some posters, if you run trains at a higher speed on existing lines you reduce capacity which means you reduce the number of trains you can run.

Hurrah!
    I'd utterly disagree that HS2 is dead - phase 1 is under construction at the moment, and I cannot see that being cancelled. Phase 2 has been severely trimmed - negatively IMO - and the rest of it has to be felt endangered. But HS2 is not dead.

I've still not had time to read the document: one thing that could mollify some people is for full electrification of the MML to occur from Kettering/Wellingborough to Sheffield. I assume they're not doing that?

Edit: I see the document commits to electrifying it in full. This is a fairly important upgrade...
  • Options

And a lengthy argument about masks...
  • Options

eek said:

York and Edinburgh are my two favourite cities in the country for romantic breaks, well Chester-le-Street as well because it has as an awesome castle.

Lumley Castle? A magic place to someone special away for a weekend away.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

They are the Matthew 25 economists.
    For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The same Starmer who is opposed to HS2
    That's nimby stuff coming not from the leader of the Labour Party but from the MP for Holburn & St Pancras whose constituents are dead against it due to the disruption to the locale. Similar to John McDonnell and the Heathrow expansion. He was against it not as Shadow Chancellor but as the MP for Hayes & Harlington. It's an interesting notion. That in a sense the local MP and the national politician are different people despite also being the same people.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Hurrah!
    I'd utterly disagree that HS2 is dead - phase 1 is under construction at the moment, and I cannot see that being cancelled. Phase 2 has been severely trimmed - negatively IMO - and the rest of it has to be felt endangered. But HS2 is not dead.

I've still not had time to read the document: one thing that could mollify some people is for full electrification of the MML to occur from Kettering/Wellingborough to Sheffield. I assume they're not doing that?
    Page 10:

We will complete the electrification of the Midland Main Line, allowing high speed journeys from London to Chesterfield and Sheffield in the same times to those originally proposed by HS2, decarbonising the railway, and bringing a long overdue improvement to passenger services.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1034360/integrated-rail-plan-for-the-north-and-midlands.pdf
  • Options

eek said:

Lumley Castle? A magic place to someone special away for a weekend away.
    Yup, that's the one. Spent many a happy long weekend in the King James Suite.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

No, the issue is that where there is nothing or very little it can't properly predict the multiplier so in most cases they set it to zero. So in this scenario where economic development in these northern places is quite low they rate the multiplier will also be very, very low and the absolute GDP gain will be tiny leading to a really low ROI. This also holds for trade deals, the gravity models uprate where stuff already exists and downrates where not a lot or nothing exists. It's fundamentally a broken way to look at any situation or investment. Gravity models would have us all invested in BT in 2005 and completely ignore Apple (and loads of investment houses did that).
    Extrapolating the future from the present was the fundamental philosophical reason I switched out of economics.
    People don't behave in an immutable way. Nor rationally. At all. I understand there have been big advances in behavioural economics since, but the basically deterministic mindset seems to remain.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

The same Starmer who is opposed to HS2
    That's nimby stuff coming not from the leader of the Labour Party but from the MP for Holburn & St Pancras whose constituents are dead against it due to the disruption to the locale. Similar to John McDonnell and the Heathrow expansion. He was against it not as Shadow Chancellor but as the MP for Hayes & Harlington. It's an interesting notion. That in a sense the local MP and the national politician are different people despite also being the same people.
    It's a good reason for executive politicians (or, in this case, aspiring executive politicians) to also be members of parliament for specific constituencies. It shows what two-faced ****s they are.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

I agree obviously on your main point.

Not on trade, though.

It’s pretty obvious why goods trade gets harder and harder the further you are away. So making it harder to trade locally - which is what Brexit does - is just self-defeating.

Anyway, we’ll never agree on that until the numbers come in, perhaps, and maybe not even then.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Hurrah!

HS2 is more than just phase 1. It was a project to transform connectivity which provides major capacity upgrades across the network. That is now dead and buried - they are now actively cutting the existing not enough capacity.

Yes they are wiring up the midland to Sheffield. Which will then have HS services on it north of Nottingham City Central Power Station Parkway. As it is only a 2 track railway through the existing bottlenecks (i.e. Chesterfield to Sheffield) we reduce capacity as fast services need longer headways than slower trains.

Nothing at all for Sheffield to anywhere that isn't south. Better still all the places already hit by HS2E planning remain hit as they aren't going to release the land.
  • Options
    I was once told that Sheffield to St Pancras has never been brought below two hours (and it could be quicker now) because there is an employer in Sheffield who has in their T&S policy that train journeys of over two hours can be done first class.
  • Options
    Mr. eek, that is true.

And yet, Ricciardo had to retire due to a Mercedes engine power loss. Bottas has been through six or something daft. A DNF or engine replacement is an entirely credible possibility for Hamilton. Not to mention that if a single track is better for Red Bull than Mercedes, that should be enough for Verstappen.

To paraphrase Galadriel: the F1 title race is balanced on the edge of a knife.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    According to Belarus, Merkel is negotiating a humanitarian corridor to bring 2000 migrants to Germany.

https://twitter.com/tadeuszgiczan/status/1461309594727337988
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There is a “Midlands Engine” prospectus for new transport infrastructure which I presume will also never see the light of day.

There was nothing stopping Boris also funding that if he wanted to bribe those Tory seats.

No, Boris (and the country) has been fucked by Treasury and the Transport Ministry.

I’ll say it again, ex-London and the SE, U.K. economic performance is being overtaken by former Warsaw Pact countries.

My advice to young people living in the North is to move to London. Or perhaps better, just emigrate. This country doesn’t know how or doesn’t want to let you prosper.
    Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

Extrapolating the future from the present was the fundamental philosophical reason I switched out of economics.
    People don't behave in an immutable way. Nor rationally. At all. I understand there have been big advances in behavioural economics since, but the basically deterministic mindset seems to remain.
    This is not about homo economicus though.

This is Treasury simply saying, we don’t care how economic growth happens, it’s nowt to do with us.

Imagine if Singapore had thought the same way in 1960.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Hurrah!

Page 10:

We will complete the electrification of the Midland Main Line, allowing high speed journeys from London to Chesterfield and Sheffield in the same times to those originally proposed by HS2, decarbonising the railway, and bringing a long overdue improvement to passenger services.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1034360/integrated-rail-plan-for-the-north-and-midlands.pdf
    Thanks. Interestingly, the plan is to continue electrification to Sheffield from Derby (p. 82). I'd have expected an electrified / upgraded Trent Valley route to offer better times to Sheffield.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    TOPPING said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

He's having a good week, Sir Keir, but he really needs to start appending these kinds of statements with what Labour will do. That's how to start building a government in waiting.

"...He's taking the country absolutely nowhere
    A Labour government will build HS3 and NPR, no ifs and buts"

etc. for each policy area. There is enough flexibility around timescales and funding that he need not worry about "unfunded promises" accusations, and I'm not sure they would stick anyway. Would just make the Tories look mean to the North.
    The accepted wisdom is that LotOs only need to articulate policies once a GE is in sight.

Generally those saying they need a policy from the Opposition NOW are govt supporters; and they only say it when the govt is in trouble.
    Obviously there is truth in this, but the demands of this particular time would suggest that something else is needed from the opposition in addition to waiting modestly on the subs bench sucking an orange.

The current lot have the claim to fame that they and only they could deliver and have delivered Brexit, along with some sub claims about vaccine programmes and so on. There is much truth in the first, and a bit of truth in the second.

They also have Olympic style records in borrowing, taxing and spending, to the extent that they are maxed out on their credit cards, and almost look like the Labour party.

They also look staggeringly sloppy in their presentation and style.

With all that they are level in the polls, when they should be 20 points behind.

Labour need to to exude two things: the capacity to win bigly, and competence with moderation coming out of their ears in warm blasts of steam.

They are not there yet. Further, the Brexit thingy means that they perhaps cannot win without actually telling us, realistically and simply, where they stand on the post Brexit plans, and on things like social care. Three word slogans won't do. They remind us of T May's three word slogans.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

I was once told that Sheffield to St Pancras has never been brought below two hours (and it could be quicker now) because there is an employer in Sheffield who has in their T&S policy that train journeys of over two hours can be done first class.

18:37
    On time
    Sheffield
    20:36
    On time
    London St Pancras International
    Plat. 2A estimated
    East Midlands Railway
    Super Off Peak
    1h 59m, direct

It is the only one on today's schedule under two hours, though.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,168
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Pre-pandemic there were regularly 4h20m trains on the ECML from Edinburgh to London. Sometimes I didn't even get refunds for them being late. And the new Azuma timetable was supposed to speed some of them up a bit.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Aslan said:

MaxPB said:

FFS

I agree obviously on your main point.

Not on trade, though.

It’s pretty obvious why goods trade gets harder and harder the further you are away. So making it harder to trade locally - which is what Brexit does - is just self-defeating.

Anyway, we’ll never agree on that until the numbers come in, perhaps, and maybe not even then.
    That doesn't make sense, the gravity models rate a US trade deal really well, it's not to do with geographic location but what already exists. You don't understand it, I think. Gravity models work by looking at clusters of size and economic development, where two large clusters exist (say the UK and US or the UK and EU) it will rate the potential very highly, where there are smaller clusters (say the UK and Morocco which is closer than the US) it will rate the potential very poorly.

That's the basis of how the treasury uses the gravity model and generally the basis of how they work. It's fundamentally flawed and has very, very poor real world predictive value. Yet here we are still governed by them.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Why can't a 'larger than life' PM with a landslide majority won substantially off the back of his own persona stand up to the Treasury?
    It requires obstinacy and attention to detail.

Cummings was an absolute shit, but you see why he wanted control of the Treasury spads.

Treasury should be broken up; it’s a failed organisation, but it has the country in a death-grip.
  • Options

eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Pre-pandemic there were regularly 4h20m trains on the ECML from Edinburgh to London. Sometimes I didn't even get refunds for them being late. And the new Azuma timetable was supposed to speed some of them up a bit.
    I was and am surprised by the London Edinburgh time as I thought 4 hours was easily possible - 2hrs 30 to Newcastle and 1 hour 30 Newcastle to Edinburgh but I only quoted what I saw.

If (and as shown above) you are correct and the fastest journey time to Edinburgh is 4 hours than it's possible that the HS2 route is 13 minutes slower rather than 16 minutes (assuming no connections) faster.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Hurrah!

Page 10:

Thanks. Interestingly, the plan is to continue electrification to Sheffield from Derby (p. 82). I'd have expected an electrified / upgraded Trent Valley route to offer better times to Sheffield.
    You don't mean Trent Valley (that's the WCML) - I guess you mean the Erewash line from Toton to Clay Cross Junction? Yeah, I don't know why every Sheffield to London train needs to through Derby and they need to electrify the Erewash line so that they have a diversionary route.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

On time
    Sheffield
    On time
    Plat. 2A estimated
    East Midlands Railway
    Super Off Peak
    1h 59m, direct

There was an early morning service that used to be 1hr 59 minutes as well but that was in the EMT days.

I caught it once.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

It requires obstinacy and attention to detail.

Cummings was an absolute shit, but you see why he wanted control of the Treasury spads.

Treasury should be broken up; it’s a failed organisation, but it has the country in a death-grip.
    The Treasury in theory is going to be split in 2 - if that was done successfully (sadly it won't be) than the 2 halves will have very different aims..
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

I was and am surprised by the London Edinburgh time as I thought 4 hours was easily possible - 2hrs 30 to Newcastle and 1 hour 30 Newcastle to Edinburgh but I only quoted what I saw.

If (and as shown above) you are correct and the fastest journey time to Edinburgh is 4 hours than it's possible that the HS2 route is 13 minutes slower rather than 16 minutes (assuming no connections) faster.
    And it shows just how good the ECML is (apart from the overhead wires were done on the cheap so it's absolute carnage when they're brought down).
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Hurrah!

HS2 is more than just phase 1. It was a project to transform connectivity which provides major capacity upgrades across the network. That is now dead and buried - they are now actively cutting the existing not enough capacity.

Yes they are wiring up the midland to Sheffield. Which will then have HS services on it north of Nottingham City Central Power Station Parkway. As it is only a 2 track railway through the existing bottlenecks (i.e. Chesterfield to Sheffield) we reduce capacity as fast services need longer headways than slower trains.

Nothing at all for Sheffield to anywhere that isn't south. Better still all the places already hit by HS2E planning remain hit as they aren't going to release the land.
    I agree HS2 is more than just phase 1 - and I want to see the whole thing built (although as I said before, some alterations to the northern parts to integrate with NPR are understandable). But calling HS2 'dead' is also a trifle hyperbolic.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

eek said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

And it shows just how good the ECML is (apart from the overhead wires were done on the cheap so it's absolute carnage when they're brought down).
    Tell our friends about it - last Tuesday's London KCX 1400 to Aberdeen arrived in Darlington at 23:10. On their carriage were 6 people going to Stonehaven for a funeral at 9:30 on Wednesday morning - I don't know if they made it but I seriously doubt it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

On time
    Sheffield
    On time
    Plat. 2A estimated
    East Midlands Railway
    Super Off Peak
    1h 59m, direct

There was an early morning service that used to be 1hr 59 minutes as well but that was in the EMT days.

I caught it once.
    Seems there's still a 10:37am train that does 1h59
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516
    PB is weighted towards railway fans. It may be news to many that everyone in the north of England travels by car (in the north of Scotland also boat and small plane) and plans to carry on doing so. This is especially true of those who bother to vote and live in Tory or Tory winnable seats.

The number of people appalled by the Aeschylean tragedy of HSwhatever number being cancelled with be dwarfed by the indifferent and those pleased that their rhubarb beds and whippet race tracks are not being subject to compulsory purchase orders to build it.
  • Options
    “Tory MPs Criticise 'Disappointing' £96 Billion Integrated Rail Plan” - story by ⁦@nedsimons⁩
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-mps-criticise-rail-plan_uk_6196461de4b0ae9a429c99ac
  • Options
    Uh oh.

TEAM-MATES defied Azeem Rafiq’s strict Muslim beliefs by drenching him in lager.

Footage of the 2012 incident at Chelmsford surfaced after Rafiq, 30, revealed the full horror of his “inhuman” treatment at Yorkshire.

A clip of Rafiq being interviewed after a promotion-clinching performance against Essex shows the all-rounder nervously looking off-camera before asking if the interviewer can move.

But moments later former England opener Adam Lyth runs up from behind and pours lager over Rafiq’s head.

England skipper Joe Root and bowler Steven Patterson also spray lager at each other next to Rafiq while part of a five-man post-match photo, as Yorkshire celebrated reaching the County Championship first division.

Rafiq had just bowled Yorkshire to a 239-run win with a second innings five-for.

He scored 53 and an unbeaten 75 with the bat, also taking eight wickets.

The video was filmed by James Buttler, who worked for Yorkshire at the time and later helped Rafiq expose racism at the heart of the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16770096/azeem-rafiq-drenched-by-beer-yorkshire/
This discussion has been closed.