Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Geoffrey Cox won’t resign, and Boris Johnson won’t make him – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageGeoffrey Cox won’t resign, and Boris Johnson won’t make him – politicalbetting.com

We appear to have entered a new era of sleaze. How many scalps will it claim?

Read the full story here

Comments

• First
  • I agree with Pip.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Third.

Again.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Oink oink
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    Pulpstar said:

Oink oink

Unfair to Gloucester Old Spots, Tamworths, and the like. Grossly so.

Very convenient for Mr Johnson to have a mobile talking lightning-conductor- cum-flung-shite attractor in the form of Mr Cox MP, no?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733
    I don't know. Johnson has always been quite prolific when it comes to cox out.
    MattW said:

Third.

Again.

But first after the person who claims to be 'testing the thread' is disqualified.

If I compare him to Max Verstappen will I be exiled to ConHome for all eternity?
  • I agree with Pip.

Yes that is great value, it had not even occurred to me resignation was a consideration despite my cynical dislike of this government. I would put the chance closer to 1.02, and would only be a layer at 1.005 ish.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Johnson.

Cox.

The government needs a Willy.
  • The only way Cox resigns are if there are new regulations limiting outside earnings.

Johnson.

Cox.

I would have said its problem was a positive superfluity of dicks, actually.
  • ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Third.

Again.

But first after the person who claims to be 'testing the thread' is disqualified.

If I compare him to Max Verstappen will I be exiled to ConHome for all eternity?
    If Sir Lewis Hamilton is penalised for the Dutch shunt tampering with Hamilton's car then Max Verstappen will be entering Mark Reckless territory on my enemies list.

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Third.

Again.

If Sir Lewis Hamilton is penalised for the Dutch shunt tampering with Hamilton's car then Max Verstappen will be entering Mark Reckless territory on my enemies list.
    Given what you've said about Vercrashen that actually implies he'll be going up somewhat in your estimation.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Third.

Again.

I'm really LOLling at the F1 this morning. SeanT couldn't have written a more ridiculous scenario.

Verstappen... what were you thinking?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    If the stench of sleaze is still hanging in the air next May the Tories could face a bit of a drubbing in the locals.

That would create a further tranche of their rank and file pissed off with the leadership.

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Third.

Again.

I'm really LOLling at the F1 this morning. SeanT couldn't have written a more ridiculous scenario.

Verstappen... what were you thinking?
    He was thinking?

Would be funny as fuck if they're both put to the back. Then wait for a really thrilling Grand Prix...
  • If the stench of sleaze is still hanging in the air next May the Tories could face a bit of a drubbing in the locals.

That would create a further tranche of their rank and file pissed off with the leadership.

I'm doing a piece on the 2022 locals in the next month, ironically they were Corbyn's best ever locals (in terms on NESV) which might mean problems for Starmer in terms of performance.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Third.

Again.

Given what you've said about Vercrashen that actually implies he'll be going up somewhat in your estimation.
    Actually the more I think about it, I despise the Dutch shunt even more than I do Mark Reckless.

I think the tipping point was earlier on this season when Verstappen's car and wheels ended up on Hamilton's head and the Dutch **** kept on putting his foot down causing the wheels to nearly murder Hamilton.
  • For possibly the first time this pandemic I wholeheartedly agree with Neil Ferguson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59273273
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    The obituaries for Johnson seem a little premature to me. Have we forgotten that governments tend to be behind in the polls in midterm? It won't necessarily be easy for them to find someone as amenable to the electorate.

That said Boris is an instant gratification prime minister who's unlikely to be able to afford a giveaway come 2024. And he doesn't command much sense of loyalty from the troops.
  • Johnson.

Cox.

The thing which staggers me is the Chief Whip allowing Cox to vote in parliament while he was in the Virgin Isles.

Working from home is one thing but would any employer not think someone is taking the piss by asking to do their job while in the West Indies for their own purposes ?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

If the stench of sleaze is still hanging in the air next May the Tories could face a bit of a drubbing in the locals.

I'm doing a piece on the 2022 locals in the next month, ironically they were Corbyn's best ever locals (in terms on NESV) which might mean problems for Starmer in terms of performance.
    I presume you refer back to 2018.
  • The obituaries for Johnson seem a little premature to me. Have we forgotten that governments tend to be behind in the polls in midterm? It won't necessarily be easy for them to find someone as amenable to the electorate.

That said Boris is an instant gratification prime minister who's unlikely to be able to afford a giveaway come 2024. And he doesn't command much sense of loyalty from the troops.

I have wondered if this might be the equivalent of Dave's phone hacking problem.

His ratings sank like a stone when the Millie Dowler revelations broke but after a few weeks nobody seemed to care.

I remember reading that in the 3 months afterwards the Tories called over 30,000 respondents in their private polls and only two people mentioned it, and they were 10/10 Labour people.
  • IanB2 said:

I presume you refer back to 2018.
    Yeah, 2018.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,210
    Good try
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    There appears to be a picture of a half-deflated hemorrhoid cushion on this article.
  • The obituaries for Johnson seem a little premature to me. Have we forgotten that governments tend to be behind in the polls in midterm? It won't necessarily be easy for them to find someone as amenable to the electorate.

I have wondered if this might be the equivalent of Dave's phone hacking problem.

His ratings sank like a stone when the Millie Dowler revelations broke but after a few weeks nobody seemed to care.

I remember reading that in the 3 months afterwards the Tories called over 30,000 respondents in their private polls and only two people mentioned it, and they were 10/10 Labour people.
    This is far more serious as its more everyday world, easily understandable and reeks of 'one rule for us and another rule for them'.

That said there is scope for Boris to turn a crisis into an opportunity.

But that would require reform, clearing out all the old farts and from himself hard work and self-restraint / personal financial discipline.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Fascinating story in The Times, really split emerging between the old guard and the 2019. Boris Johnson thinks the sleaze stuff will blow over and isn't in much contact with the 2019ers.

....Many of the 2019 intake turned on Johnson privately over the past week. “The party needs leadership and he’s nowhere to be seen on this issue,” one said. “Boris has done a disappearing act and this is all starting to take hold.”

Another called on Johnson to make himself the voice of public anger over second jobs. “He shouldn’t try to ride this out. He needs to show the public he’s furious, like Cameron did during expenses,” they said. “But I appreciate that’s difficult for him,” they added, in reference to his outside earnings when he was on the back benches.

Another member of the 2019 intake said they felt as if Downing Street had used them as “cannon fodder”. They said: “The PM has not really engaged with us in the aftermath. We’ve had far more from the chancellor in terms of an apology and showing a bit of humility about it. It’s all so tone-deaf.”

...A senior MP warned Johnson against a kneejerk reaction to the anger of his newest MPs. “Boris shouldn’t just shift to listening only to the 2019ers,” they said. “Yes they’re more numerous, but the Spartans [the supporters of a hard Brexit] are more dangerous. Ask Theresa May. They literally brought down a prime minister only two years ago.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/65fc76aa-43ff-11ec-96bf-de0821791f3f?shareToken=28b9b752f813b147653fa4c6b94163ff

It would be nice if there was a disconnect here, with Boris and his cohort simply thinking about how it might blow over (and accordingly don't actually give a shit), being surprised by the 2019 intake and others not just saying they want something done, but actually wanting stuff done.

That's the thing about shift leaders sometimes - they can sell things very well, and expect people to follow along with whatever they sell, but it might be that their followers really believed them the first time and want to push on.

I'm not sure we'd be that lucky.

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847
    '$markets' do seem to provide some good betting opps that betfair don't bother with. Up to now I've resisted opening an acc with them but maybe I should.
    Cox will stand down at the next election I reckon. He's never needed the job for the money, he has no prospect of regaining high office, and while he might well do enough for his constituents if he is right, he obviously isn't throwing himself into that work like committed backbenchers.

As Quincel says sticking by him until at least then, if not beyond, doesn't really take much effort.
    Dura_Ace said:

There appears to be a picture of a half-deflated hemorrhoid cushion on this article.

He does look like he should be cast as a banker friend of Scrooge in A Christmas Carol adaptation.

12 years in and 3 years into Boris's tenure they should already receive a drubbing, but it'll come up.

Of course, MPs often don't like and criticise their local councils anyway, on the basis it does stuff their constituents don't like and as they cannot do anything they might as well back the voters over the council, so it is a bit weird that people would punish councils for their MPs, but it happens all the time that national matters impact them.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    Off topic but can I please ask the PB brains trust for some advice?

I'm looking for an app that gives speedy notifications when a goal has been scored in selected football games please. I've seen others recommend certain apps in the past (and I think one PBer may have been involved in one) but I'd be interested now so would appreciate any recommendations.

Not for any specific clubs on an ongoing basis, but for selected games.

PS preferably one that would pop up on screen when a goal is scored (possibly as a pop-up bubble), as opposed to one that sends a push notification that would not appear on screen. Don't know if that's a phone setting though.

Android if it matters. Thanks for any advice.

The obituaries for Johnson seem a little premature to me. Have we forgotten that governments tend to be behind in the polls in midterm? It won't necessarily be easy for them to find someone as amenable to the electorate.

People may have forgotten that governments tend to be behind, but is maintaining a lead now to be the new normal for a government likely to win? They'll hope not, but it's been a weird ride in the polls.
    edited November 2021
    !4,200 cases, daily, in Czechia. The equivalent in the UK would be about 95,000 cases - a level we never actually reached, not even in January 2021

Covid-19 is absolutely raging in mittelEuropa. Like a drunken Dad, home from the pub, stamping on all the pets
    kle4 said:

Cox will stand down at the next election I reckon. He's never needed the job for the money, he has no prospect of regaining high office, and while he might well do enough for his constituents if he is right, he obviously isn't throwing himself into that work like committed backbenchers.

As Quincel says sticking by him until at least then, if not beyond, doesn't really take much effort.

Agree. He won't resign because he's technically done nothing wrong, or at least it is, as yet, unproven

But why endure all the crap? Step down to spend more time with his hoard of gold
  • kle4 said:

Fascinating story in The Times, really split emerging between the old guard and the 2019. Boris Johnson thinks the sleaze stuff will blow over and isn't in much contact with the 2019ers.

....Many of the 2019 intake turned on Johnson privately over the past week. “The party needs leadership and he’s nowhere to be seen on this issue,” one said. “Boris has done a disappearing act and this is all starting to take hold.”

Another called on Johnson to make himself the voice of public anger over second jobs. “He shouldn’t try to ride this out. He needs to show the public he’s furious, like Cameron did during expenses,” they said. “But I appreciate that’s difficult for him,” they added, in reference to his outside earnings when he was on the back benches.

Another member of the 2019 intake said they felt as if Downing Street had used them as “cannon fodder”. They said: “The PM has not really engaged with us in the aftermath. We’ve had far more from the chancellor in terms of an apology and showing a bit of humility about it. It’s all so tone-deaf.”

...A senior MP warned Johnson against a kneejerk reaction to the anger of his newest MPs. “Boris shouldn’t just shift to listening only to the 2019ers,” they said. “Yes they’re more numerous, but the Spartans [the supporters of a hard Brexit] are more dangerous. Ask Theresa May. They literally brought down a prime minister only two years ago.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/65fc76aa-43ff-11ec-96bf-de0821791f3f?shareToken=28b9b752f813b147653fa4c6b94163ff

It would be nice if there was a disconnect here, with Boris and his cohort simply thinking about how it might blow over (and accordingly don't actually give a shit), being surprised by the 2019 intake and others not just saying they want something done, but actually wanting stuff done.

That's the thing about shift leaders sometimes - they can sell things very well, and expect people to follow along with whatever they sell, but it might be that their followers really believed them the first time and want to push on.

A senior MP warned Johnson against a kneejerk reaction to the anger of his newest MPs. “Boris shouldn’t just shift to listening only to the 2019ers,” they said. “Yes they’re more numerous, but the Spartans [the supporters of a hard Brexit] are more dangerous. Ask Theresa May. They literally brought down a prime minister only two years ago.”

I'm not sure that applies.

Supporting hard Brexit was a policy which had a fervent support among many Conservatives.

But is there anything like it for the right to earn money as a sleazy middle man or to work 35 hours per week on behalf of a tax haven ?

kle4 said:

A senior MP warned Johnson against a kneejerk reaction to the anger of his newest MPs. “Boris shouldn’t just shift to listening only to the 2019ers,” they said. “Yes they’re more numerous, but the Spartans [the supporters of a hard Brexit] are more dangerous. Ask Theresa May. They literally brought down a prime minister only two years ago.”

Supporting hard Brexit was a policy which had a fervent support among many Conservatives.

But is there anything like it for the right to earn money as a sleazy middle man or to work 35 hours per week on behalf of a tax haven ?
    I think that is looking backwards though - the awkward squad who don't want to do anything matches what Boris would prefer, given his actions to date, so the question is do the 2019 lot and others care about more than just improving perception? And if the answer is yes, do they care enough to force something to happen? Because that's why the Brexit crowd could never be defeated.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582

Johnson.

Cox.

The thing which staggers me is the Chief Whip allowing Cox to vote in parliament while he was in the Virgin Isles.

Working from home is one thing but would any employer not think someone is taking the piss by asking to do their job while in the West Indies for their own purposes ?
    I can remember the Commons in the 70s, so well depicted by James Graham in "This House", when MPs who literally were dying were brought by ambulance to the Courtyard of Westminster so that they could be nodded through for a vote.

OK. I know we have had Covid and lockdowns, WFH and Zoom but the fact is that just over 4 decades ago some MPs were prepared to hasten their own death in order to cast their vote for their party, whereas now we have a rich lawyer sitting on his backside in the tropical sun who thinks that just because because he can push a few buttons, he is doing his bit for Parliament.

I'll leave it there. Otherwise my comments would make Dura Ace sound like a maiden aunt.
  • kle4 said:

Plus the Spartans had the useful idiots of Grieves, Soubry, Starmer, Swinson, Blackford and hundreds more MPs all lining up to join them in the lobbies every time there was a vote in the Commons.

Who's going to be their useful idiots this time?
    edited November 2021

I still expect him to lead into the GE, however I no longer think he's a massive fav to be PM after it. Therefore I've cashed out my long BJ/Con positions and I'm starting again. I price it now (on PM post GE) as Johnson 50% Starmer 30% Other 20%.

As for that 'Other', I'm picking up in Toryland the pushing of a new cult of personality around the CoE. Just as Johnson is brand "Boris" - and people know my feelings about this - so Sunak seems to be becoming "Rishi" to lots of people who know him only through the tv. An unwelcome development.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,732

I am sure that the right to earn money as a sleazy middle man or to work 35 hours per week on behalf of a tax haven has at least as much support amongst the Spartans as hard Brexit. For some the two are intimately linked.

kle4 said:

Plus the Spartans had the useful idiots of Grieves, Soubry, Starmer, Swinson, Blackford and hundreds more MPs all lining up to join them in the lobbies every time there was a vote in the Commons.

Who's going to be their useful idiots this time?
    Boris can serve as his own on this occasion. We know anything he announces on this is done under duress, since actions demonstrate his preference.
    I am told Dr Neil Shastri Hurst has been selected to fight the North Shropshire by-election for the Conservatives. Polling day is Dec 16.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1459522967969443850
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:

I am told Dr Neil Shastri Hurst has been selected to fight the North Shropshire by-election for the Conservatives. Polling day is Dec 16.

Uh oh

Dr Neil Shastri-Hurst is a veteran, surgeon, and barrister.

Also, veteran, surgeon and barrister? What a show off.

https://www.drneilshastri-hurst.co.uk/about
    Ohhhhhhhhh FFS. Thailand keeps all bars and clubs shut until January 16th, at the earliest

Their tourist industry must be in ruins
  • kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

And a former British Army Officer too.

That's some impressive CV.
    Scott_xP said:

More detail here:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/politics/2021/11/13/north-shropshire-by-election-tories-select-birmingham-barrister-as-candidate/
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

!4,200 cases, daily, in Czechia. The equivalent in the UK would be about 95,000 cases - a level we never actually reached, not even in January 2021

Covid-19 is absolutely raging in mittelEuropa. Like a drunken Dad, home from the pub, stamping on all the pets

No-one on here will dare to even try to trump your personal expertise with regard to that last.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

How long did he stay in any one of them? Looks like he got bored very quickly.
    Tory panic re Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election?? Chancellor @RishiSunak and @theresa_may both been there today and @BorisJohnson there yesterday. Massive Tory majority in this seat, so what are they so worried about?? 😉 #sleaze
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1459527098897420294
    Well done Scotland! Game on
    Cracking game
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    SandraMc said:

Johnson.

Cox.

I can remember the Commons in the 70s, so well depicted by James Graham in "This House", when MPs who literally were dying were brought by ambulance to the Courtyard of Westminster so that they could be nodded through for a vote.

OK. I know we have had Covid and lockdowns, WFH and Zoom but the fact is that just over 4 decades ago some MPs were prepared to hasten their own death in order to cast their vote for their party, whereas now we have a rich lawyer sitting on his backside in the tropical sun who thinks that just because because he can push a few buttons, he is doing his bit for Parliament.

I'll leave it there. Otherwise my comments would make Dura Ace sound like a maiden aunt.
    Yep.
    Can't get a bloody ambulance these days.
    Bangkok is closed for business.

So. PB Quiz. Where is the nearest hot sunny weather in January, if you're in the UK?

The Canaries aren't quite reliable enough. They can be cool and rainy then

I reckon Luxor, Egypt. Any other contenders?
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Ohhhhhhhhh FFS. Thailand keeps all bars and clubs shut until January 16th, at the earliest

On the plus side, they won't have to put up with you
    Scott_xP said:

Tory panic re Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election?? Chancellor @RishiSunak and @theresa_may both been there today and @BorisJohnson there yesterday. Massive Tory majority in this seat, so what are they so worried about?? 😉 #sleaze
    https://twitter.com/IsabelOakeshott/status/1459527098897420294

Perhaps they remember what happened when they freewheeled in C&A.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    SandraMc said:

Johnson.

Cox.

You imply that Dura Ace is not a maiden aunt? Disappointing.

On topic, I think that the sleaze stories will fade as the press gets bored - some of today's are a bit trivial. In particular I doubt if anyone outside the Commons much cares whether Cox earns his squillions from his office or his flat.

But there's a trap for the Tories in the "moving on" concept. As things stand, polls suggest that most people think they're corrupt. If we move on without that being addressed, it'll linger as remembered "fact". Doesn't mean people won't vote for them anyway, if the economy is doing wonderfully and Starmer is found in bed with a 6-toed alien. But it'll load the dice against them.

If they deal with it now in some way that satisfies the public, that can be avoided. But coming back to the issue later won't work.
  • SandraMc said:

Johnson.

Cox.

On topic, I think that the sleaze stories will fade as the press gets bored - some of today's are a bit trivial. In particular I doubt if anyone outside the Commons much cares whether Cox earns his squillions from his office or his flat.

But there's a trap for the Tories in the "moving on" concept. As things stand, polls suggest that most people think they're corrupt. If we move on without that being addressed, it'll linger as remembered "fact". Doesn't mean people won't vote for them anyway, if the economy is doing wonderfully and Starmer is found in bed with a 6-toed alien. But it'll load the dice against them.

If they deal with it now in some way that satisfies the public, that can be avoided. But coming back to the issue later won't work.
    If Starmer was found in bed with a 6-toed alien it'd make him interesting.
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

On the plus side, they won't have to put up with you
    You'd be amazed how much I am missed, there. Especially at the far end of Soi Cowboy
  • kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

But he's a Brummie
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

So. PB Quiz. Where is the nearest hot sunny weather in January, if you're in the UK?

Banjul, The Gambia
  • ClippP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

Oh boy.

Regrettably, Neil’s surgical career has been cut short following the diagnosis of a peripheral neuropathy. Whilst an unexpected and challenging set-back, Neil used it as an opportunity to re-evaluate and channel his skills in a new direction. He built upon his interest in health related law, developed through his work as a Tribunal Member for the Medical Practitioners’ Tribunal Service, and cross-qualified as a Healthcare Law Barrister.
    kinabalu said:

I still expect him to lead into the GE, however I no longer think he's a massive fav to be PM after it. Therefore I've cashed out my long BJ/Con positions and I'm starting again. I price it now (on PM post GE) as Johnson 50% Starmer 30% Other 20%.

As for that 'Other', I'm picking up in Toryland the pushing of a new cult of personality around the CoE. Just as Johnson is brand "Boris" - and people know my feelings about this - so Sunak seems to be becoming "Rishi" to lots of people who know him only through the tv. An unwelcome development.
    Overegged?

I think he's been Rishi in the papers since I noticed him.
    Leon said:

Timbuktu is closer, isn't it? Marrakesh still more.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Marakesh and Essaouira are not that warm this time of year.

SandraMc said:

Johnson.

Cox.

If Starmer was found in bed with a 6-toed alien it'd make him interesting.
    In Norfolk, if PB mythology is to be believed (I am sceptical)? That'd be quite something for a London legal eagle.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Marrakech can be disappointingly chilly and overcast in Jan...

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

Serious opportunities for a second income there?
    TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia
    Interesting. I heard bad things about Banjul but I've never been
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Some research on winter temperatures in southern Morocco might help a little here.
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia
    From what I have heard about The Gambia, it might suit you. Just hang about on the beach and see what transpires.
    I was thinking maybe Vietnam, and then saw this, from an hour ago:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Vietnam’s capital enters lockdown after ‘dangerous’ new COVID variant found"

Great

https://twitter.com/avnblogfeed/status/1459505607510310913?s=20
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia
    From what I have heard about The Gambia, it might suit you. Just hang about on the beach and see what transpires.
    I thought that was where European ladies of a certain age went for young waiters.
  • More Belarusian troops arriving at Kuznica. Hard to tell for sure, but looks like the 5th Spetsnaz Brigade to me.

https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1459523589829533703?s=20
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

Adult Video News has diversified its content.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    Leon said:

Durban.
  • Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

Why not go to the Caribbean somewhere? I'm sure you could get something (relatively) reasonably priced outside of the school holidays. Go somewhere off the beaten track like Dominica. Not sure about lockdown status.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia
    I had an enjoyable week there, albeit some decades ago. The beach resorts are not my cup of tea, and I would recommend the Atlantic Hotel in the centre of Banjul. It is nicely secluded and Banjul a fascinatingly chaotic capital city, with lots of colour and life. It gets quite a few birdwatchers, and has a lovely climate in Jan.

Mrs Foxy and I wandered around around on our own with minimal hassle in Banjul. The traditional wrestling was well worth the trip, and any taxi will take you there and wait for you.

• Foxy said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia
    I had an enjoyable week there, albeit some decades ago. The beach resorts are not my cup of tea, and I would recommend the Atlantic Hotel in the centre of Banjul. It is nicely secluded and Banjul a fascinatingly chaotic capital city, with lots of colour and life. It gets quite a few birdwatchers, and has a lovely climate in Jan.

Mrs Foxy and I wandered around around on our own with minimal hassle in Banjul. The traditional wrestling was well worth the trip, and any taxi will take you there and wait for you.

I hope that "traditional wrestling" isn't a euphemism.

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

Why not go to the Caribbean somewhere? I'm sure you could get something (relatively) reasonably priced outside of the school holidays. Go somewhere off the beaten track like Dominica. Not sure about lockdown status.
    Not a bad idea. I'm not a huge fan of the Caribbean - they can be beautiful but the food is meh and they lack cultural interest (for me). Cuba is the exception of course

But Dominica. Hmm
    Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

Not a bad idea. I'm not a huge fan of the Caribbean - they can be beautiful but the food is meh and they lack cultural interest (for me). Cuba is the exception of course

But Dominica. Hmm
    St Lucia is good for food. Maybe the French influence.

Mauritius too is good for food.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm
    There's nice food in parts of the Eastern Caribbean. Trinidad especially, although it's not a great place to visit outside of Carnival. Suriname has amazing food, a huge variety with European, African, Indian, Chinese and Javanese influences. Dominica is stunning, some fantastic walking, pleasant beaches, nice laid back vibe.
    Food in Cuba was terrible when we went. Interesting culture, obvs, and a lot of charm but a pretty sad place.
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm
    St Lucia is good for food. Maybe the French influence.

Mauritius too is good for food.
    Yes St Lucia is a great place to visit too. The hot springs at Soufrierre are amazing.
    The general rule in the Caribbean is that the further you go from the US the nicer it gets.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Marrakech can be disappointingly chilly and overcast in Jan...

I once went to Tunisia in January and it snowed. The only warm place was the jacuzzi.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Just for a moment, I thought this was going to be the SeanT / wild swimming article we've all been anticipating:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/13/no-sharks-but-ive-seen-porpoises-the-rebirth-of-the-river-thames
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm
    There's nice food in parts of the Eastern Caribbean. Trinidad especially, although it's not a great place to visit outside of Carnival. Suriname has amazing food, a huge variety with European, African, Indian, Chinese and Javanese influences. Dominica is stunning, some fantastic walking, pleasant beaches, nice laid back vibe.
    Food in Cuba was terrible when we went. Interesting culture, obvs, and a lot of charm but a pretty sad place.
    Trinidad is hideously dangerous now. I have a close Trini friend and she has family there and she was thinking of retiring there, not any more. Too violent. Very sad. I loved Trinidad especially Tobago when I went many years back - for Carnival

Surinam I do not know at all.

I'm gonna look at Dominica

And yes, Cuban food. OMFG. Probably the worst food I have ever had. Communism = terrible food
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,769
    PB brains/beer trust request! Does anyone know a pub in the South Ken area with outside screen for the rugby today? Someone asked me if I knew if one as they are a bit nervous about being inside a pub at the moment and where better to get advice on drinking venues than here!! Thanks in advance……
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    A rail replacement bus service has managed to get stuck under a railway bridge near Brighton

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19715361.rail-replacement-bus-stuck-underneath-bridge-brighton/?ref=twtrec
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Overegged?

Yes the papers are in on it. They're lining up someone to get behind to stop the dreaded slightly left of centre Labour prevailing in the event of Johnson coming a cropper.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm
    Trinidad is hideously dangerous now. I have a close Trini friend and she has family there and she was thinking of retiring there, not any more. Too violent. Very sad. I loved Trinidad especially Tobago when I went many years back - for Carnival

And yes, Cuban food. OMFG. Probably the worst food I have ever had. Communism = terrible food
    Yeah it's been 20 years since I went to Trinidad. Even then it was violent but not at Carnival. I think our weekend at the Trinidad Carnival was maybe the most fun I've ever had.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm
    Cyprus is quite warm in winter, I believe. We're thinking of that or, if I can face a long haul, Singapore.
  • kinabalu said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Overegged?

Yes the papers are in on it. They're lining up someone to get behind to stop the dreaded slightly left of centre Labour prevailing in the event of Johnson coming a cropper.
    This is how you come across banging on about Boris, Ed, Dave, Rishi, Nicola etc getting referred to by their names:
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"AVN News Feed
    @avnblogfeed

Great

But Dominica. Hmm

Yeah it's been 20 years since I went to Trinidad. Even then it was violent but not at Carnival. I think our weekend at the Trinidad Carnival was maybe the most fun I've ever had.
    Trini Carnival is fantastic. Jouvert!

Like you, I had a blast

This was 30 years back but even then Port of Spain was dangerous, however (Tobago was very safe). I remember armed guards outside bars and hotels. Now it is somehow more dangerous still, I am told. Probably because of these guys:

"The rise of Trinidad’s cocaine caliphate
    Its drug wars make it a breeding ground for Isis"

ISIS plus drug trafficking? Fantastic. No thanks

https://unherd.com/2021/11/the-rise-of-trinidads-cocaine-caliphate/

So many countries have got WORSE in recent decades. Tragic
  • John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    17h
    Update after
    @SavantaComRes
    6-point Lab lead, average of 5 latest polls 5-12 Nov, 1.2-pt Lab lead:
    Lab 36.8%
    Con 35.6%
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    Leon said:

How about the British Virgin Islands?

Should be very pleasant in January. And should you have the misfortune to misbehave, which is quite possible, excellent legal help is on hand. His charges are quite steep, but well within your pocket, I'm sure.

Foxy said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Banjul, The Gambia

I hope that "traditional wrestling" isn't a euphemism.
    No, it really is wrestling, though perhaps more like Judo in ways as the point was to make the oponent touch the ground with a part of the body above the knee. Hence the bigger guy often lost. Lots of drumming and swaggering afterwards as the victor would solicit the crowd with an entourage of drummers for tips.

I went with Mrs Foxy, but like many poor countries there is sex tourism, male and female. Not a boozy place either being Islamic, but vibrant culture away from the resorts. People either get Africa or recoil from it. It can test a comfort zone when you leave the tourist resort bubble, but is really quite safe.

Ghana is on my list too, and is a bit more developed. Senegal may be better for food, but The Gambia was quite OK.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    Somewhere possibly new for you? Ascension Island?
    edited November 2021

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

kinabalu said:

Overegged?

This is how you come across banging on about Boris, Ed, Dave, Rishi, Nicola etc getting referred to by their names:
    It's not 1st names per se that I bridle at, it's when I detect the pushing and the swallowing of a brand. Wouldn't expect everyone to get the point but I'm slightly disappointed at how few seem to.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Uh oh

That’s an unpleasant snark by you

He was in the Medical Corps and then moved to the reservists and became a surgeon. So that’s just military to civilian.

He then got sick and was unable to work as a surgeon any more so trained as a lawyer.
This discussion has been closed.