Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Number 10 must be hoping that this is an outlier – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageNumber 10 must be hoping that this is an outlier – politicalbetting.com

The Savanta ComRes poll was carried out on Thursday and Friday and other polls are in the pipeline.

Read the full story here

Comments

• dr_spyn said:

This Northern Ireland poll is worrying.

SF 24% (-1 from August)

DUP 18% (+5) Alliance 15% (+2) UUP 14% (-2) SDLP 12% (-1) TUV 11% (-1)

https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1459296946577973248

Not unprecedented. SF topped the poll at GE 2010, and at the Euros in 2009, 20014 and 2019.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    Why is it worrying? If that is what people want..... And if at the end of the day it means the reunification of Ireland, that is not in itself a bad thing, surely? Especially since the Roman Catholic church seems to have moderated its stance.
  • JadeJade Posts: 27
    ClippP said:

Why is it worrying? If that is what people want..... And if at the end of the day it means the reunification of Ireland, that is not in itself a bad thing, surely? Especially since the Roman Catholic church seems to have moderated its stance.

Any credit to being in the EU for that moderation? I don’t necessarily agree with you, but would you go as far to say its left the unionist dominated six counties now stick out as looking less moderate and as willing to change?

The strength of SF polling south of the border is also noteworthy, considering they are treated by as being outside the mainstream.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Interesting poll - is this the first we’ve seen with a significant swing to Labour, as opposed to previous Tories sitting on their hands?

Of course, at any other time this sort of poll would be normal for mid-term, but the last few years have destroyed a lot of long-standing precedent.

What it does show, is that the government need to get back on top of the narrative, as the pandemic ends and we get back to ‘politics as usual’. It’s clear that the media are now going for MP conduct in a big way, and they have a lot of stories stored up and ready to print.

I still think that it’s not helpful for everyone to go for Geoffrey Cox, who’s done nothing wrong except to have a great job that pays him a fortune on an hourly basis. The focus on Cox is distracting from other, potentially more serious offences that involve a genuine conflict of interest.
  • Good morning, everyone.

I hope, but do not expect, they throw the fool out.

F1: sprint races remain bloody stupid. I'll put up a pre-sprint bullshit ramble later today, probably.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    More Tory sleaze.

Apparently an MP called Douglas Ross was secretly also a member of the Scottish Parliament. As if that wasn't bad enough, he was secretly funding a number of charities with his salary. Some people have no shame.
  • F1: Verstappen summoned to the stewards apparently for investigating Hamilton's car after qualifying:
    https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1459334796509945864

And Hamilton's rear wing is also being scrutinised:
    https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/1459318489647304706
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

Good morning, everyone.

I hope, but do not expect, they throw the fool out.

F1: sprint races remain bloody stupid. I'll put up a pre-sprint bullshit ramble later today, probably.

What's the problem with sprint races? They don't seem any more or less pointless than anything else that goes on in F1.

F1: Verstappen summoned to the stewards apparently for investigating Hamilton's car after qualifying:
    https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1459334796509945864

And Hamilton's rear wing is also being scrutinised:
    https://twitter.com/LukeSmithF1/status/1459318489647304706

This is quite surreal. Max got out of his car, played with his own rear wing, then went over to Lewis’ car and did the same. The cars were in ‘Parc Fermé’ at the time, and it’s a serious offence for anyone to touch them. Lewis’ wing was subsequently found to be non-compliant with the technical regulations. Both teams are potentially in a lot of trouble, although Mercedes will argue that their wing was fine until Max touched it.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Good morning everybody. Quite a pleasant morning, weather-wise.

From his post earlier today, it seems Dura Ace has been fraternising with Malc! Mr A is often abusive but his 6.42 post does seem a bit rich, even for him.

Is use of that sort of language why some posters have recently reduced their activity?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just a reminder of the 3 and 10 rule.

3 days for an event to be picked up by polling, 10 days for it to roll off if it is not a long term permanent opinion shifter.

We are still in the window.

Alistair said:

3 days for an event to be picked up by polling, 10 days for it to roll off if it is not a long term permanent opinion shifter.

And further 'oddments' seem to keep coming.

Although someone seems to be trying to distract everyone with Royal 'news'.
  • On the Conservative poll woe: I wonder if part of that is down to the rampant greenery, which is more of a left than right matter.

On the Conservative poll woe: I wonder if part of that is down to the rampant greenery, which is more of a left than right matter.

It's the tory base that hate that. They aren't going to swing to Labour over it.

Alistair said:

Yes, it’s clear there’s a few ‘stories’ still to come on the subject, but it does seem rather haphazard so far. The media needs to focus on the clear breaches of rules, rather than fripperies like Mr Cox QC which looks like politics of envy more than anything substantive.

Talking of QCs, the lawyers for Mrs. Sussex are certainly earning their money this week. At what point do they have to advise their client to settle, rather than face cross-examination?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I still think that it’s not helpful for everyone to go for Geoffrey Cox, who’s done nothing wrong except to have a great job that pays him a fortune on an hourly basis. The focus on Cox is distracting from other, potentially more serious offences that involve a genuine conflict of interest.

Cox is an excellent target for the media and the opposition because it's a visceral image that even Red Wall morons stood in the queue at Gregg's can understand.

You've got this utter monstrosity of a human being sat on his massive fucking arse in the Caribbean making piles of cash advising arseholes about wank while he's supposed to be an MP. No nuance required.
    Not actively stealing from us though, which is a bonus

He seems a bit worried, anyway. The gates at the top of his drive down here are closed which I haven't seen before
    Sandpit said:

Alistair said:

Yes, it’s clear there’s a few ‘stories’ still to come on the subject, but it does seem rather haphazard so far. The media needs to focus on the clear breaches of rules, rather than fripperies like Mr Cox QC which looks like politics of envy more than anything substantive.

Talking of QCs, the lawyers for Mrs. Sussex are certainly earning their money this week. At what point do they have to advise their client to settle, rather than face cross-examination?
    Ms Cyclefree indicated her concern for the lawyers' position yesterday.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,703
    Now Douglas Ross is caught up in it. Seems more administrative than a snout in the trough. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59270798
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Taz said:

Now Douglas Ross is caught up in it. Seems more administrative than a snout in the trough. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59270798

The journos have been putting in quite a shift, if they're down to 'R' already
    IshmaelZ said:

The gates at the top of his drive down here are closed which I haven't seen before

Might nip down there and MIG weld them shut.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    The full extent of MPs’ second jobs is revealed today by an investigation showing that 25 politicians spend the equivalent of at least one normal working day a week on outside paid work.

Since the Owen Paterson lobbying scandal there has been criticism of MPs holding second jobs, particularly those involving consultancy or lobbying.

An analysis of the register of MPs’ interests reveals that at least 138 have had second jobs in the past year, and 12 earn at least an extra £100,000 a year from outside interests.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nearly-140-mps-have-other-jobs-amid-fears-of-part-time-parliament-xpl9h99jm
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Taz said:

Yes, his work as a referee certainly hasn't been a secret. It simply appears he hasn't been registering it properly. Now don't get me wrong, he should have been and he deserves a rap across the knuckles for not doing so. But it's hardly a hanging offence.
    Quincel said:

Taz said:

Yes, his work as a referee certainly hasn't been a secret. It simply appears he hasn't been registering it properly. Now don't get me wrong, he should have been and he deserves a rap across the knuckles for not doing so. But it's hardly a hanging offence.
    I’ll keep saying it, but the media and especially the Opposition parties need to concentrate on the actual problem, rather than such fripperies.

The guy spends his Saturdays refereeing, so what? He gives his MSP salary to charity, good on him. Where is the actual scandal?

Meanwhile, IDS and others who have serious questions to answer, are being ignored.
  • I've previously said I'd want to see Labour at least 5 ahead and sustained beyond the media shitstorm to take this seriously. The first condition is met now. Let's see about the second.
    edited November 2021

I've previously said I'd want to see Labour at least 5 ahead and sustained beyond the media shitstorm to take this seriously. The first condition is met now. Let's see about the second.

We have, so far, had two polls which suggest a 'nibbling' at the Tory vote. As Mr OLB writes, this is a start, but only a start, which could yet turn out to be false start.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Would someone enlighten me if, when the 1922 committee receives the required amount of letters, it’s an automatic/binding leadership challenge or is it optional?

Would love to know how many letters they have requesting Boris go!

Thanks in advance.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/12/revealed-geoffrey-cox-british-virgin-islands-villa

Nice piece on Cox's villa on Tortola which also has some good colour on the weird fucked up colonial hangover which is the BVI.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756
    The Paterson vote must be one of the most stupid own goals we've seen in some time.

The 'Tory sleaze' horse has now well and truly bolted and will continue to run. The current flurry of stories will have to slow down at some point, but the idea has been planted and so every subsequent story (outcome of independent enquiry, anything that requires a little more investigative journalism) will be linked back to the established theme.

I also wonder if part of the reason it was so successful was because the accusation has been levied at the Tories as a whole, not Boris who has been bulletproof on these sorts of things

Plenty can happen in the 18-30 months before the next election for the Tories to recover, but this has made that job a lot harder for them.
    Labour calls on Cabinet Office to block publication of new Matt Hancock book.

“It can't be right that Matt Hancock gets to put his spin on events for a bumper pay cheque before families can find out the truth of what happened at a public inquiry”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10196309/Matt-Hancock-book-deal-tell-heroic-role-pandemic.html
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited November 2021

From his post earlier today, it seems Dura Ace has been fraternising with Malc! Mr A is often abusive but his 6.42 post does seem a bit rich, even for him.

Is use of that sort of language why some posters have recently reduced their activity?

Good morning

We have seen the loss of several posters recently and it may be to do with the unrelenting anti HMG threads, but to be honest Boris and others have opened the door wide with his and their idiotic actions

As far as @Dura_Ace comments are concerned they do not contribute to the discussions but like @malcolmg are designed to be provocative and are best ignored
    boulay said:

Would someone enlighten me if, when the 1922 committee receives the required amount of letters, it’s an automatic/binding leadership challenge or is it optional?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it’s automatic and mandatory.

The ‘22 Chairman keeps the number of letters currently in his possession, very close to his chest.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080
    Ratters said:

The Paterson vote must be one of the most stupid own goals we've seen in some time.

The 'Tory sleaze' horse has now well and truly bolted and will continue to run. The current flurry of stories will have to slow down at some point, but the idea has been planted and so every subsequent story (outcome of independent enquiry, anything that requires a little more investigative journalism) will be linked back to the established theme.

I also wonder if part of the reason it was so successful was because the accusation has been levied at the Tories as a whole, not Boris who has been bulletproof on these sorts of things

Plenty can happen in the 18-30 months before the next election for the Tories to recover, but this has made that job a lot harder for them.

The hubris, failure to think things through, inadequate preparation and last minute u-turn are all hallmarks of the PM.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IshmaelZ said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Cox is an excellent target for the media and the opposition because it's a visceral image that even Red Wall morons stood in the queue at Gregg's can understand.

You've got this utter monstrosity of a human being sat on his massive fucking arse in the Caribbean making piles of cash advising arseholes about wank while he's supposed to be an MP. No nuance required.
    Not actively stealing from us though, which is a bonus

He seems a bit worried, anyway. The gates at the top of his drive down here are closed which I haven't seen before
    TBF he probably doesn’t want any arsehole photojournalists invading his family’s privacy
    Taz said:

Surprised at the SNP describing membership of the Scottish Parliament as a “side hustle” though
  • Well I've just done a positive lateral flow test. I have a bit of a tickly sore throat, that's all, and it was a precautionary test before going to parkrun. PCR booked but it's going to be another bloody boring weekend. Last week's being caused by a painful foot that needed icing and resting. At least I have just bought a couple of books off Amazon
  • I said the other day for those who went campaigning for the Tories in 1997/2001/2005 we know how utterly toxic sleaze is for the Blue Meanies.

Heck it probably took Tony Blair questioned by the rozzers for sleaze to be more associated with Labour.
  • Sandpit said:

boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it’s automatic and mandatory.

The ‘22 Chairman keeps the number of letters currently in his possession, very close to his chest.
    There's just one intermediary step I believe in that the '22 Chairman can check with the existing letter writers that they still want their letters to apply, or if they want to withdraw the letter.

I think that happened when May's letter threshold was reached, but realistically once you've reached the point of the threshold being met then withdrawn letters aren't going to make much difference.
  • "The wildlife charity that employs Carrie Johnson is facing further questions over its finances, after its latest accounts show it paid more than £150,000 in “interior design services” to the chairman’s wife last year."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/13/charity-that-employs-carrie-johnson-faces-further-questions-over-finances
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,415
    edited November 2021

Good morning

We have seen the loss of several posters recently and it may be to do with the unrelenting anti HMG threads, but to be honest Boris and others have opened the door wide with his and their idiotic actions

As far as @Dura_Ace comments are concerned they do not contribute to the discussions but like @malcolmg are designed to be provocative and are best ignored
    the loss of posters is perhaps because it is a pretty boring phase of politics - no elections on the horizon , covid settled down in terms of government restrictions etc. Lest face it as well most of the posters on here also post pretty centrish middle class posts with very earnest reasoning and its a bit boring as a result.
    I tend to post for two reasons - one for betting stuff so this is very much around major elections and the other when I really think there is a concensus building which i fundamentally disagree with like covid restrictions ,facemasks, testing etc . I can never summon up much energy for Westminster stuff like Mp second jobs (seems to come round every so often like a comet) or even climate change - the name COP26 means there will be a COP27 somewhere etc

Well I've just done a positive lateral flow test. I have a bit of a tickly sore throat, that's all, and it was a precautionary test before going to parkrun. PCR booked but it's going to be another bloody boring weekend. Last week's being caused by a painful foot that needed icing and resting. At least I have just bought a couple of books off Amazon

Good luck
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

And if you scale him down a little and change his hair colour you've looking at Johnson.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,729
    edited November 2021

"The wildlife charity that employs Carrie Johnson is facing further questions over its finances, after its latest accounts show it paid more than £150,000 in “interior design services” to the chairman’s wife last year."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/13/charity-that-employs-carrie-johnson-faces-further-questions-over-finances

From that I thought Carrie Johnson was the chairman’s wife, and it was going to be money for doing up no10 - but she isn’t and the £150,000 was paid to someone else before she started work there
  • Good morning everybody. Quite a pleasant morning, weather-wise.

Good morning

the loss of posters is perhaps because it is a pretty boring phase of politics - no elections on the horizon , covid settled down in terms of government restrictions etc. Lest face it as well most of the posters on here also post pretty centrish middle class posts with very earnest reasoning and its a bit boring as a result.
    I tend to post for two reasons - one for betting stuff so this is very much around major elections and the other when I really think there is a concensus building which i fundamentally disagree with like covid restrictions ,facemasks, testing etc . I can never summon up much energy for Westminster stuff like Mp second jobs (seems to come round every so often like a comet) or even climate change - the name COP26 means there will be a COP27 somewhere etc
    Yes indeed COP26 will achieve nothing - qu'elle surprise - so let's roll onto the next one!
  • Well I've just done a positive lateral flow test. I have a bit of a tickly sore throat, that's all, and it was a precautionary test before going to parkrun. PCR booked but it's going to be another bloody boring weekend. Last week's being caused by a painful foot that needed icing and resting. At least I have just bought a couple of books off Amazon

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out ok.
  • Meanwhile, Tories crack on with their 'hammer the young' approach:

Graduates must start paying back student loans sooner
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/12/graduates-must-start-paying-back-student-loans-sooner/
  • I said the other day for those who went campaigning for the Tories in 1997/2001/2005 we know how utterly toxic sleaze is for the Blue Meanies.

Heck it probably took Tony Blair questioned by the rozzers for sleaze to be more associated with Labour.

The rule always used to be that Tory scandals were about sex, and Labour scandals were about money. But in the last few decades it feels like that's changed, and both parties' scandals tend to have money at their core. Perhaps we just find sex less scandalising these days.

Well I've just done a positive lateral flow test. I have a bit of a tickly sore throat, that's all, and it was a precautionary test before going to parkrun. PCR booked but it's going to be another bloody boring weekend. Last week's being caused by a painful foot that needed icing and resting. At least I have just bought a couple of books off Amazon

Fingers crossed for the tickly throat to be the worst of it
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

dr_spyn said:

This Northern Ireland poll is worrying.

SF 24% (-1 from August)

DUP 18% (+5) Alliance 15% (+2) UUP 14% (-2) SDLP 12% (-1) TUV 11% (-1)

https://twitter.com/SuzyJourno/status/1459296946577973248

Not unprecedented. SF topped the poll at GE 2010, and at the Euros in 2009, 20014 and 2019.
    The 3% swing from SF to DUP in that poll is not worrying at all, in fact it is much better news for Unionists than recent NI polls.

That is confirmed by the fact the Unionist parties of DUP, UUP and TUV are on 43% combined ie comfortably more than the Nationalist parties of SF and SDLP on only 36% combined
    isam said:

"The wildlife charity that employs Carrie Johnson is facing further questions over its finances, after its latest accounts show it paid more than £150,000 in “interior design services” to the chairman’s wife last year."

From that I thought Carrie Johnson was the chairman’s wife, and it was going to be money for doing up no10 - but she isn’t and the £150,000 was paid to someone else before she started work there
    It would be a bit embarrassing for Boris and family if they left Downing St soon given the fuss about doing it up
    For years there has been a dirty secret in Westminster about how politics really works at the top of the Conservative Party. In the past two weeks Boris Johnson has blown that secret wide open.
    https://adambienkov.substack.com/p/boris-johnson-has-blown-the-conservative https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1459438429742247940/photo/1
    Spotted in Sir Geoffrey Cox’s constituency… https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1459114732888244226/photo/1
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2021
    The killer image was johnson in that hospital....but fortunately a change of leader is unlikely to help. Johnson got the whole cabinet and almost the whole party to sign up to that suicide note in support of Patterson before the tide turned.

The Brexiteer Party now look in complete disarray. We just need SKS to show us what he's made of and the future could be bright.
  • isam said:

Yes. I knew enough about the charity already to know she isn't the chairman's wife. TBH I don't think that was implied by the opening paragraph which I copied in my post anyway. It happened a few months before she worked there, true, but she knows everyone involved pretty well (the Goldsmiths are in the mix, obvs) so it's reasonable to assume she knew about it or could have easily found out about it if she'd wanted to before taking the job. I mean, it's in their accounts.
    edited November 2021
    boulay said:

Thanks in advance.

There is no such thing as a leadership challenge under Conservative party rules anymore since the Hague reforms.

Only a no confidence ballot can be held if sufficient MPs submit letters, as with IDS and if the leader gets more than 50% support they survive, if less they don't.

However that actually benefits the leader a bit more, even Thatcher would have survived in 1990 as she got 54% of Tory MPs backing her over Heseltine on the first ballot. IDS was toppled in 2003 but even he got 45% still in that no confidence vote and Boris would surely do better than that given Redwall MPs owed him their seats in 2019.

My guess is unless Labour are 10%+ ahead consistently in polls over the next 6 months, Boris will survive. If Labour do get that big a lead though Boris will go and Sunak would replace him being the only Conservative alternative who might claw back some votes lost to Labour

the loss of posters is perhaps because it is a pretty boring phase of politics

We are in somewhat of a fallow spell at the moment although we have the French Presidential and Australian Federal elections relatively early in 2022.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,056
    edited November 2021
    Interesting that even the Express is beginning to get it. The Tory party plan of firing up the Brexitism may not be a good one. People want a further referendum and want to Rejoin. Starmer is at risk of missing the boat on this too with "make Brexit work".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1520605/brexit-news-poll-uk-rejoin-eu-referendum-remainers-vote-leave-boris-johnson-update
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Interesting that even the Express is beginning to get it. The Tory party plan of firing up the Brexitism may not be a good one. People want a further referendum and want to Rejoin. Starmer is at risk of missing the boat on this too with "make Brexit work".

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1520605/brexit-news-poll-uk-rejoin-eu-referendum-remainers-vote-leave-boris-johnson-update

47% wanting still to have left the EU is 13% more than the Tories 34% rating with Comres last night.

That actually suggests that a number of Leavers have switched to Labour given the Tories + RefUK combined are under 40% with Comres
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Good morning

Historically people tend to post more when things are going well for their preferred party, but recently there have been a lot of posters saying they feel politically homeless, and that's probably a bit demoralising - how often can you post "I dunno, I don't really like either what's happening or the alternatives"? But the main reason is simply that there's very little electoral activity anywhere that most of us know - UK in midterm with a couple of safe-looking seats, US and French elections only next year, Germans just voted.

And yet, it's an extraordinarily interesting time in British politics. There's the pandemic, with all its unpredictability. There's the Tories, experimenting with a kind of populism that hasn't been seen in a mainstream party in living memory. There are all the new laws needed post-Brexit, and the exact shape of British foreign policy still oddly unclear. There's the possible Green breakthrough, if you believe YouGov. There's RefUK, moving up to the non-trivial level in the polls. I've always felt I'd like to live forever, just to see how it all works out, but just living right now is good fun too if you like political strangeness.
  • Foxy said:

We will rejoin in about ten years after which nobody will ever speak of Brexit again.
  • Foxy said:

People are bored with the Brexit discussion and want to move onto the post Brexit environment now!

The Trustees of that charity don't appear to be looking after it very well.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Quite a thoughtful interview with Chris Bryant on sleaze - though he points out that the term isn't helpful:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/13/chris-bryant-ill-report-the-next-mp-who-tries-to-lobby-me
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

47% wanting still to have left the EU is 13% more than the Tories 34% rating with Comres last night.

That actually suggests that a number of Leavers have switched to Labour given the Tories + RefUK combined are under 40% with Comres
    No only 20% of Lab supporters would vote to stay out. 10% of Leavers would now vote Rejoin, and 80% that didn't vote in the referendum.

There is even a plurality for a Rejoin referendum within the next 5 years. 40% for and 34% against.

Foxy said:

People are bored with the Brexit discussion and want to move onto the post Brexit environment now!
    Not what that poll says!
    edited November 2021

More sh!tty journalism by the Grauniad, trying to bring guilt by association. Mrs Johnson is an employee, not a trustee of the charity in question.

Again, are the media going to spend more time on actual scandals, or are they just throwing enough mud and hoping some of it sticks?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530
    edited November 2021

Meanwhile, Tories crack on with their 'hammer the young' approach:

Graduates must start paying back student loans sooner
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/11/12/graduates-must-start-paying-back-student-loans-sooner/

If you see the language now being used “ normal working people “ inferring that graduates aren’t normal working people . This will be the latest attempt to throw some red meat to the Red Wall . This government really are utterly loathsome .
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    edited November 2021

Good morning

I quite like @malcolmg and @Dura_Ace . Their posts are entertaining.

Who has been driven away? It is not always easy to spot someone who isn't posting so that is a genuine question.

I note that @Casino_Royale hasn't been around and is missed. Any know if he is ok?

SquareRoot was driven off and I played my part in that, but he deserved the responses he got here because his posts were so unpleasant, content free and with no humour to compensate.
    isam said:

The Goldsmiths treat the charity like a European-style Foundation (mixing charity and family) rather than the UK-style Trust (either charity or family) which it actually is.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The Express write up is characteristically inept/unclear/dishonest. They say that 53% said we shouldn't have left and 47% didn't say we shouldn't have left, so I think that 47% includes don't knows as well as those who think we were right to leave. I might be wrong, though. If anyone has a link to the data tables it would be useful.
    Sandpit said:

More sh!tty journalism by the Grauniad, trying to bring guilt by association. Mrs Johnson is an employee, not a trustee of the charity in question.

Again, are the media going to spend more time on actual scandals, or are they just throwing enough mud and hoping some of it sticks?
    I think it is just one of many ways that we see the plutocracy behave. Unable to distinguish between their own money (even when they have pots of it) and funds under their stewardship belonging to country or charity.
  • Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I think it is just one of many ways that we see the plutocracy behave. Unable to distinguish between their own money (even when they have pots of it) and funds under their stewardship belonging to country or charity.
    And giving jobs to others within their coterie. Trebles all round!
  • alednamalednam Posts: 185
    Much of the media would like it to be thought that the scandal emanating from Paterson amendment is akin to the MPs expenses scandal. It is actually not a scandal about Commons MPs: it is a scandal about our Prime Minister.
    Johnson has used his power as PM to turn a blind eye to his Ministers' breaches of the Ministerial Code, to overrule his Ethics Adviser, to refuse the advice of the House of Lords Appointments Commission. And in his latest exercise of power he has (via his Party’s whips) attempted (a) to overrule the advice of Parliaments’ Committee on Standards, and (b) to set up a Conservative-chaired Committee to do the work of that Committee.
    Sure Paterson’s a bad ’un. Sure all those MPs who could see no wrong in Paterson’s corrupt activities have no place in the governing Party of a democratic nation. But let it be clear that when Johnson said that the UK is not a remotely corrupt country, he spoke falsely. What now enables corrupt practices in UK public life is the leader of the UK government.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

The Express write up is characteristically inept/unclear/dishonest. They say that 53% said we shouldn't have left and 47% didn't say we shouldn't have left, so I think that 47% includes don't knows as well as those who think we were right to leave. I might be wrong, though. If anyone has a link to the data tables it would be useful.
    I think the 53/47 figure excludes the don't knows. That is how the previous poll was reported.
  • Foxy said:

We will rejoin in about ten years after which nobody will ever speak of Brexit again.
    Might take a bit longer, though the destination looks pretty clear. The generational profile of votes was obvious in 2016 and there in embryo in 1975.

However, it's not really about people being persuaded. Some of the swing is non voters expressing an opinion, and I wouldn't want to rely on them. The rest is age profiles. It's not nice to talk about, but Leave voters are going to that place where referendums cease and being replaced by younger people who suckled at the evil teat of EU propoganda.

Tip to those who see Brexit as their entry in the history books. If you try to make Brejoin difficult, it probably won't work and will really hack off future generations.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Tables are here at the bottom of this page.

https://comresglobal.com/polls/eu-referendum-polling-12th-november-2021/
    “If they keep f***ing it up…the letters will go in" - Tories Warn Boris Johnson Could Be Gone By The Summer If Sleaze Mess Isn’t Cleared Up Soon.
    This weekend's Saturday view by @Alain_Tolhurst:
    🧵 1/
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/tories-warn-boris-johnson-could-be-gone-by-summer-if-sleaze-mess-isnt-cleared-up-soon
  • A statement has now been released from the Indian council of Scotland with regards Humza and his wife in regards to Little Scholars Nursery

https://twitter.com/ga11acher/status/1459287825128505351?s=20
    edited November 2021
    kjh said:

Good morning

Who has been driven away? It is not always easy to spot someone who isn't posting so that is a genuine question.

I note that @Casino_Royale hasn't been around and is missed. Any know if he is ok?

SquareRoot was driven off and I played my part in that, but he deserved the responses he got here because his posts were so unpleasant, content free and with no humour to compensate.
    Dura is interesting when speaking about army hardware but that’s it. Apart from that it’s worthless ranting. He’s a classic keyboard warrior. His post at 6.42 is exactly who he is as a person. An unpleasant pub bore type using dramatic language for effect and to get noticed. Malcolmg is Malcolmg. Intolerant of some, but can be alright. I just wish he’d tone it down.

I wouldn’t personally join any pile on to drive anyone off. That’s cheap.

Francis urquhart hasn’t been here for a while.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Tables are here at the bottom of this page.

https://comresglobal.com/polls/eu-referendum-polling-12th-november-2021/
    OK I was wrong then, these are the numbers excluding DKs. Thanks for the link.
  • A statement has now been released from the Indian council of Scotland with regards Humza and his wife in regards to Little Scholars Nursery

https://twitter.com/ga11acher/status/1459287825128505351?s=20

Well that's an impartial source citing opinions as facts.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

No only 20% of Lab supporters would vote to stay out. 10% of Leavers would now vote Rejoin, and 80% that didn't vote in the referendum.

There is even a plurality for a Rejoin referendum within the next 5 years. 40% for and 34% against.
    So without those 20% of Labour voters who still back Leave, Labour would only be on 32% and the Tories would still be ahead even with Comres.

Thanks for the confirmation
    kjh said:

Good morning

Yes, CR posts most days on Twitter, as does @AlastairMeeks. Indeed so does Tim.

For all its faults, I do like twitter as it keeps comments concise. Sometimes the effort needed to continue an intelligent and civil argument on PB gets a bit wearing.

• boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Off topic (sorry) but on the issue of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and the linking of the 400m debt to Iran is there the possibility that the UK govt pays the funds into escrow with the UN on the basis that when sanctions etc allow the UN will release the funds to Iran.

This would then remove it as an issue as the UK govt can say “see, we want to pay it but technically cannot give it to you but when you sort out your issues you get it” and so it takes away a stick for Iran to beat the UK with in the eyes of the world….

Or alternatively the UK could buy Iran 400m of vaccines and have them delivered as surely the Iranian govt would love to use the money to help their people and not use it for nefarious means….!!
  • If they faff around until summer it'll mean six months of woe.

Here's a wild idea: get rid of the incompetent fool.
  • kjh said:

Good morning

I hope that @Casino_Royale returns soon. The risk of his taking offense at some innocent comment of mine and calling me a total moron added an extra frisson to participation on this forum. I think he was taking up a new and more senior job which has perhaps precluded him from posting, hopefully temporarily.
  • alednamalednam Posts: 185
    Whether it was a good thing that a majority voted to leave the EU is a question quite different from that which is implicit in the ComRes poll, which is the question whether it would be a good thing to rejoin the EU.
    The damage is done, and it is irreparable. (Of course this is not to say that future policy should be such as Brextremists advocate.)
  • On topic, polls like this means Article XVI gets triggered soon, it is inevitable.

Good morning

Historically people tend to post more when things are going well for their preferred party, but recently there have been a lot of posters saying they feel politically homeless, and that's probably a bit demoralising - how often can you post "I dunno, I don't really like either what's happening or the alternatives"? But the main reason is simply that there's very little electoral activity anywhere that most of us know - UK in midterm with a couple of safe-looking seats, US and French elections only next year, Germans just voted.

And yet, it's an extraordinarily interesting time in British politics. There's the pandemic, with all its unpredictability. There's the Tories, experimenting with a kind of populism that hasn't been seen in a mainstream party in living memory. There are all the new laws needed post-Brexit, and the exact shape of British foreign policy still oddly unclear. There's the possible Green breakthrough, if you believe YouGov. There's RefUK, moving up to the non-trivial level in the polls. I've always felt I'd like to live forever, just to see how it all works out, but just living right now is good fun too if you like political strangeness.
    If you lived forever surely you’d end up longing for an end to it ?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,013
    edited November 2021
    The Daily Heil makes for pleasant reading.
    Now Boris pays the price at the polls: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10196665/Now-Boris-Johnson-pays-price-polls-Labour-race-ahead-Tories-SIX-points.html
    This isn't just a slap on the wrist for Boris, its a punch in the kidneys: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10196567/JOHN-HUMPHRYS-isnt-just-slap-wrist-Boris-punch-kidneys.html
    £3m for a gong? Now we must scrap the House of Lords: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10196785/ANDREW-NEIL-3million-gong-scrap-useless-dangerous-House-Lords.html

It'll all blow over, won't it? Meanwhile, the Northern Echo on its front page goes after its region's MPs. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19714549.mps-north-east-north-yorkshire-get-money/ Not good news for Red Wall Tories. Interesting that the same company - IX Wireless - pops up with lots of donations to various NE Tory MPs. IX is "rolling out high-speed internet across the North"...

Just in case you think all that will blow over, the last line of their main article is "The Northern Echo will be publishing further details in the coming days. ". I'm not sure they have been entertained by the self-evident hypocricy of Tory MPs who fed their hacks endless stories complaining about Labour's Cleveland PCC for crimes like using WhatsApp to communicate with the Chief Constable, yet when their own is under investigation for an actual serious crime they absolutely clam up. As you sow etc...
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,342
    edited November 2021

Foxy said:

Not convinced. Just as the EU was a several generations project for us (and continues to be for the others) so our post Brexit identity will be with us for decades.

The 'Rejoin' movement, which in a sense began the day after the referendum result has years to work in, and through EFTA has a less toxic route. The different policy packages that are feasible for a post Brexit world have hardly begun to be discussed. Until the island of Ireland matter is stable we are not at the end of Stage 1 Brexit. And the Referendum is already 5 and half years ago.

Watching the centre left will remain interesting. They have an almost permanent majority of votes even when the Tories are doing well, now that the LDs are clearly in that camp, and the Greens and SNP are a permanent thing. If they got their act together over Europe things could change.

Currently the stasis is because it is, like any real politics, a risk. SKS is fantastically risk averse.

Sandpit said:

That’s exactly it. The Douglas Ross story is pretty thin gruel too. An admin error. Unless the Sunday’s have some explosive stuff this feels like the tail end of the expenses scandal did.

I think the govt need to be concerned about the fox killing lawyer and any potential dodgy dealings in Covid contracts.
  • Foxy said:

So when are the Lib Dems to come out and support rejoining rather than obfuscation
  • On topic, polls like this means Article XVI gets triggered soon, it is inevitable.

Surely it was always going to be triggered after COP26?

If anything I think this might make triggering be postponed a bit, as I doubt they'll want A16 to be lumped in with the sleaze discussion even if there's nothing sleazy about it.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So without those 20% of Labour voters who still back Leave, Labour would only be on 32% and the Tories would still be ahead even with Comres.

Thanks for the confirmation
    You neglect the 20% of Tories wanting to Rejoin...

And of course Rejoin is not Labour Party policy. Even the LDs see it more as a long term objective.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    Broken, sleazy, corrupt Tories on the slide...

That said people predicting the political demise of Boris De Pfeffel are jumping the gun methinks...

kjh said:

Good morning

I hope that @Casino_Royale returns soon. The risk of his taking offense at some innocent comment of mine and calling me a total moron added an extra frisson to participation on this forum. I think he was taking up a new and more senior job which has perhaps precluded him from posting, hopefully temporarily.
    Wasn’t it said that Mr Royale had taken up a new job that preluded posting here?
  • Quite a thoughtful interview with Chris Bryant on sleaze - though he points out that the term isn't helpful:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/13/chris-bryant-ill-report-the-next-mp-who-tries-to-lobby-me

Chris Bryant is the real star in this sad tale and I expect he will prevail

The Daily Heil makes for pleasant reading.
    Now Boris pays the price at the polls: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10196665/Now-Boris-Johnson-pays-price-polls-Labour-race-ahead-Tories-SIX-points.html
    This isn't just a slap on the wrist for Boris, its a punch in the kidneys: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10196567/JOHN-HUMPHRYS-isnt-just-slap-wrist-Boris-punch-kidneys.html
    £3m for a gong? Now we must scrap the House of Lords: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10196785/ANDREW-NEIL-3million-gong-scrap-useless-dangerous-House-Lords.html

It'll all blow over, won't it? Meanwhile, the Northern Echo on its front page goes after its region's MPs. https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19714549.mps-north-east-north-yorkshire-get-money/ Not good news for Red Wall Tories. Interesting that the same company - IX Wireless - pops up with lots of donations to various NE Tory MPs. IX is "rolling out high-speed internet across the North"...

Just in case you think all that will blow over, the last line of their main article is "The Northern Echo will be publishing further details in the coming days. ". I'm not sure they have been entertained by the self-evident hypocricy of Tory MPs who fed their hacks endless stories complaining about Labour's Cleveland PCC for crimes like using WhatsApp to communicate with the Chief Constable, yet when their own is under investigation for an actual serious crime they absolutely clam up. As you sow etc...

Northern Echo jumping on the bandwagon. Don’t blame them. It all seems quite thin stuff. It’s is hardly a secret Dehenna Davison appears on GB News. I suspect there’s a fair bit of clickbait in it.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence. They hypocrisy is self evident and the Tories deserve their come uppance. Both parties are just as bad on this When in office but the Tories are in power. This will peter out but the damage may be irreversible.
This discussion has been closed.