Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

BoJo would find it more challenging facing Angela Rayner – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,624

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

BBC News - EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58665809

The iCrap will have to get with the times.

A few people on this forum have an absolutely bizarre obsession with Apple. Josias is another one.

It really is quite simple: if you don't like Apple products, you don't have to buy them.
    I have very good professional, technical, personal, and ethical reasons to dislike Apple as a company.
    They are undoubtably evil, but no more or less so than their competitors, eg Google, Microsoft.

Apple-Aversion is a weird cult.
    Of all the tech giants, Apple is possibly the least evil. At least you know you’re their customer, rather than their product.
    A book I read on the big companies recently left me with the impression Facebook was the most evil, followed by Google. Apple came across as genius in marketing an everyday product to luxury profit levels.
    I have a fairly loose theory about companies. Like fish, they rot from their head. And the head is based on the corporate culture. A corporate culture is set up when the company is, by its founders, and can take years or decades to change.

Therefore many companies are based around the culture inspired by their founders: this is particularly true where the founders are celebrities. Hence Apple, who worship a guy who named a computer after a child he could not even admit was his, conducts business in a similar manner now.

Corporate culture can change, particularly for the worse. Boeing used to be known for great engineering, but in the decades since the McDonnell Douglas takeover their culture has changed to one where the bottom line matters more than good engineering. Hence the 737 Max and the Starliner debacles (+many more). This does not happen overnight.

In Facebook's case, the warning signs are clear. Before Facebook, Zuckerberg started FaceMash, and he nearly got chucked out of Harvard because of his (ahem) liberal disregard of data and privacy rules. “Issues about violating people’s privacy don’t seem to be surmountable,” Zuckerberg told the Crimson about Facemash in an issue published in November 2003.

From the head, the body rots.
    Yes.

Another example of leadership building an organisation is Admiral Rickover and the US Navy nuclear program.

Sometimes held to be proof that there is a place in society for obsessive-compulsive power-mad control freaks with a mania for detail.

Also known with very considerable sarcasm as the Kindly Old Gentleman.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    I’ve been repeatedly briefed that some of Starmer’s current and former aides have given up on his prospects and are now pinning their hopes on Wes Streeting, who they hope can be made Labour leader via the electoral college"

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1441025634440990726
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

Referring to a woman as "feisty" is generally considered sexist.

But referring to a man like that isn't? Sounds rather sexist to me.
    I don't have figures on it, but I'd not be surprised if men are rarely referred to as feisty, hence why it might be considered sexist. See also 'hysterical'.
    If she fit the definition of fesity, call her feisty. If she doesn't, don't. Same with a man. Gender doesn't come into it.

Same with hysterical (though my beef with that word is how many illiterates confuse it with "hilarious").
    Name a feisty male MP.
    Eric Joyce ?

I don't see it used in the thread header though.
    Ahhh, Eric Joyce. Causing Labour massive problems since 2013, and leading pretty much directly to Corbyn’s election as leader.
    And nearly if unwittingly causing the closedown of the Scottish and Northern English economy as an unintended consequence of the Slab/TU shit-fight to succeed him (through the impact on industrial relations at Grangemouth refinery).

Amazxing what gets started in the HoC bars late at night,
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Agree with Mike that Labour should have a female leader, who would unsettle Boris more than Sir Keir does. My choice would be Jess Phillips but maybe Rayner would do well also. Similar attitude

Jess Phillips is one of a tiny group of possible leaders that would get me thinking about voting Labour in a GE (I usually vote Labour in local elections). Rayner absolutely not. A Rayner leadership would make a Tory majority firm favourite at the next election.

Labour either needs a charismatic reply to Boris (Jess about the only candidate there) or stick with dull decency but adding some actual policy on tough issues.
    I think the advantages Jess has are a) being able to be known on first name terms, like a brand ("Boris" even though, yes it isn't his first name), and b) seemingly being a perfect mix of the two sides of the Labour coin - she is politicxally quite a Blairite, but comes across like an angry Corbynite. Party diehards will know the truth, but the average voter will see a kind of (deliberately) common looking, plain speaking, working class woman, authentic old Labour rather than a grammar school educated middle class, daughter of quite high achieving parents, authentic new Labour
    +1 - it's why I believe Labour missed a trick not having her front and centre...
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone think this energy crisis could bring down the government?

I think they’re gonna have to ditch the cap. Even if they don’t, it’s looking quite possible average energy bills will rise to ~£1800 from April. For many people that will be almost double.

Hard not to see some political spillover.

Especially when it clashes with the COP26 rhetoric. It’s a head on smash between the Carrie wing of the Tory party and the red wall voters.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

A few people on this forum have an absolutely bizarre obsession with Apple. Josias is another one.

It really is quite simple: if you don't like Apple products, you don't have to buy them.
    I have very good professional, technical, personal, and ethical reasons to dislike Apple as a company.
    They are undoubtably evil, but no more or less so than their competitors, eg Google, Microsoft.

Of all the tech giants, Apple is possibly the least evil. At least you know you’re their customer, rather than their product.
    A book I read on the big companies recently left me with the impression Facebook was the most evil, followed by Google. Apple came across as genius in marketing an everyday product to luxury profit levels.
    I have a fairly loose theory about companies. Like fish, they rot from their head. And the head is based on the corporate culture. A corporate culture is set up when the company is, by its founders, and can take years or decades to change.

Therefore many companies are based around the culture inspired by their founders: this is particularly true where the founders are celebrities. Hence Apple, who worship a guy who named a computer after a child he could not even admit was his, conducts business in a similar manner now.

Corporate culture can change, particularly for the worse. Boeing used to be known for great engineering, but in the decades since the McDonnell Douglas takeover their culture has changed to one where the bottom line matters more than good engineering. Hence the 737 Max and the Starliner debacles (+many more). This does not happen overnight.

In Facebook's case, the warning signs are clear. Before Facebook, Zuckerberg started FaceMash, and he nearly got chucked out of Harvard because of his (ahem) liberal disregard of data and privacy rules. “Issues about violating people’s privacy don’t seem to be surmountable,” Zuckerberg told the Crimson about Facemash in an issue published in November 2003.

I confess I have instinctual, perhaps unfair, dislike of Facebook because I don't use it so get none of the user benefits that others have, so see only its use of people are its product etc. At least Amazon gets me stuff, Apple makes stuff I can see is good, and Microsoft underpin so much else I have no choice but to use.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    I’ve been repeatedly briefed that some of Starmer’s current and former aides have given up on his prospects and are now pinning their hopes on Wes Streeting, who they hope can be made Labour leader via the electoral college"

Right sex, right colour, carry on.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,249

You realise i am joking about them being crap right? Expensive, absolutely, not significantly better than leading Samsung (in fact things like the screens for iPhone are made by Samsung) debatale, but i don't actually think they are crap.

It is just a gentle prod of apple fan boy culture, cough cough TSE, for whom Apple can do no wrong ever and they pre-order every new product. I think TSE said he has 13 or 14 apple devices.

When the reality their innovation, especially in the phone product, has really been lacking in the past few years. Still having the lightening port on the iPhone is a good example. They will go all wireless charging eventually, but not going usb-c like the rest of their products is just trying to squeeze that bit more juice out of their customers.
    I am still shocked by the absolute shiteness of the one Apple laptop I bought. Terrible. And so expensive

I do like the iPhone and iPad but they are increasingly less impressive compared to the competition
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,398
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Not middle aged enough.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I confess I have instinctual, perhaps unfair, dislike of Facebook because I don't use it so get none of the user benefits that others have, so see only its use of people are its product etc. At least Amazon gets me stuff, Apple makes stuff I can see is good, and Microsoft underpin so much else I have no choice but to use.
    I don't understand the "people are the product" slur, it sounds awfully dystopian but afaics it cashes out as lots of really spot-on targeted advertising selling me the brilliant products I absolutely want and need at jawdroppingly low prices; and I can check the brilliance, and the pricing, using evil google's free at the point of use search engine, before buying. What's, as they say, not to like?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257
    Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

For that to make sense, Starmer either has to be extremely dimwitted to be pushing through a reform aimed at replacing him (or making his replacement much more palatable to MPs) or else complicit. The tweet suggests the former.

Starmer may be many things, but I doubt he's stupid.
  • Aslan said:

Unfortunately for Rayner I think a Northern woman with a tendency to being aggressive in PMQs would play into a classist-sexist stereotype that would go down badly with the public.

Strictly speaking, all of that applied to Margaret Thatcher as well.

The only difference was she lost the accent.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    I hope we have all read Starmer's magnum opus....i wonder who other than himself have read it cover to cover.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Not middle aged enough.
    Mustr be great for Keir heading to conference with all the speculation about who's the best replacement.. oh and the trans debate in the background to help stir the pot. Great image for the party grappling with the key issues worrying the public party.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    kle4 said:

I've never worked with Google, but I have with MS and Apple. There is no comparison IME.

Apple fandom is a weird cult. Paying way over value just for a logo. ;)
    Not just a logo though, is it? It's an alternative platform, and one that millions of people worldwide prefer. You prefer Windows, fine. Many millions disagree. Get over it.
    That people prefer it is totally fine. It's reasonable to point out that the devotion level can be a bit weird though, especially when it leads to a higher price than would otherise fly even if every product they released was best in its field.

Your response of 'get over it' is strange, since why shouldn't people be able to criticise brand loyalty? Ultimately 'get over it' is just someone saying 'I/they like it, so you cannot criticise', the same defense of any dumb but popular movie.

I'd love to have some Apple devices, I just cannot justify the expense, so I'm not against the company.
    I have no strong opinion – that's my point. I find this obsessive Apple Aversion as weird, or weirder, than Apple Fanboyism. Equally, I find patriotic Android or Windows users weird too. Who cares what software you prefer? It doesn't define you.

I mean, there are two or three platforms that people can choose, and to a greater or lesser extent they all talk to each other for 99% of business and leisure operations.

My whole point is that mocking others for their choice of platform is weirdly cultish. They are tools – computer systems – not lifestyle choices.
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

I've never worked with Google, but I have with MS and Apple. There is no comparison IME.

Apple fandom in the 1990s and early 2000s made sense. Their products were significantly better than everyone else's yet most of the public continued to buy computers/devices from other companies like Microsoft, and it was almost impossible to get them to change their minds. The iPod and iPhone finally changed that.
    At the stage when the ROW had caught up anyway. And MacOS wasn't really all that, and all the peripherals were insanely overpriced.

The Apple ecosystem is insanely nannying, I have utterly non tech friends who ask me to sort their problems for them and I can't because a forgotten password has locked them out of their IDs and there is no way of resetting the device because it is so overpriced that it being stolen or not, is a bigger concern than it functioning or not.
    That post is a work of fiction.

You just don't understand the process, that's all.

I hope we have all read Starmer's magnum opus....i wonder who other than himself have read it cover to cover.

There should be a circle in Dante's Purgatory where the daily punishment is "read 15,000 words by Keir Starmer" - again and again and again
    eek said:

You realise i am joking about them being crap right? Expensive, absolutely, not significantly better than leading Samsung (in fact things like the screens for iPhone are made by Samsung) debatale, but i don't actually think they are crap.

It is just a gentle prod of apple fan boy culture, cough cough TSE, for whom Apple can do no wrong ever and they pre-order every new product. I think TSE said he has 13 or 14 apple devices.

When the reality their innovation, especially in the phone product, has really been lacking in the past few years. Still having the lightening port on the iPhone is a good example. They will go all wireless charging eventually, but not going usb-c like the rest of their products is just trying to squeeze that bit more juice out of their customers.
    Is it? Given that most Apple customers are now replacing an iPhone ?? with iPhone ??+2/3 surely the most environmental thing is to allow the old connector to be used.

I have multiple lightning cables in this house if iPhones used Usb C I would need to buy 3 or so more USB cables.
    Fair point!

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Apple fandom in the 1990s and early 2000s made sense. Their products were significantly better than everyone else's yet most of the public continued to buy computers/devices from other companies like Microsoft, and it was almost impossible to get them to change their minds. The iPod and iPhone finally changed that.
    At the stage when the ROW had caught up anyway. And MacOS wasn't really all that, and all the peripherals were insanely overpriced.

The Apple ecosystem is insanely nannying, I have utterly non tech friends who ask me to sort their problems for them and I can't because a forgotten password has locked them out of their IDs and there is no way of resetting the device because it is so overpriced that it being stolen or not, is a bigger concern than it functioning or not.

I actually find that the Apple recovery process works better than a number of other eco-systems.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

You can unlock a Mac with the Apple ID password, and you can unlock an Apple ID with a device key code. The problems come with everything locked out at the same time, with device encryption turned on and backups turned off - and you realy can’t fix forgetting all the passwords.

Latest Windows tries to turn on encryption by default too, just as much of a nightmare to get into.
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

I don't have figures on it, but I'd not be surprised if men are rarely referred to as feisty, hence why it might be considered sexist. See also 'hysterical'.
    Obviously. Being feisty is not a characteristic of men. None that I have ever met anyway. Hysterical may be.

Both Mr Kle and Mr Fishing seem to think sex is irrelevant. Very strange.
    I have no idea where you got that from. I see no reason both men or women could not be fesity or hysterical (the definition of feisty does not seem to meet your restriction) and ideally we should not mind using both for either.

But I do think it would be obtuse to pretend that hysterical in particular is pretty well recognised as unfortunately having a history as a gendered criticism of women.

Language doesn't exist in a vacuum. I'm opposed to restricting our use of words generally, but that doesn't mean some words don't come with a history and if they are going to be used they need to be used properly (ie, only describing people as hysterical if they are hysterical, not as a generic critque most often applied to one gender).

I'll describe people as feisty or hysterical, and there was nothing wrong with OGH's usage. But that doesn't mean tlg86 was out of left field for noting that some words come with connotations sometimes.
    Dunno. I have – with good reason – called many male PBers hysterical, it's a fairly common trait, especially where covid is concerned.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

eek said:

Is it? Given that most Apple customers are now replacing an iPhone ?? with iPhone ??+2/3 surely the most environmental thing is to allow the old connector to be used.

I have multiple lightning cables in this house if iPhones used Usb C I would need to buy 3 or so more USB cables.
    Fair point!
    The most environmentally friendly thing (by far) is to keep your old phone :wink:
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Agree with Mike that Labour should have a female leader, who would unsettle Boris more than Sir Keir does. My choice would be Jess Phillips but maybe Rayner would do well also. Similar attitude

Jess Phillips is one of a tiny group of possible leaders that would get me thinking about voting Labour in a GE (I usually vote Labour in local elections). Rayner absolutely not. A Rayner leadership would make a Tory majority firm favourite at the next election.

Labour either needs a charismatic reply to Boris (Jess about the only candidate there) or stick with dull decency but adding some actual policy on tough issues.
    I think the advantages Jess has are a) being able to be known on first name terms, like a brand ("Boris" even though, yes it isn't his first name), and b) seemingly being a perfect mix of the two sides of the Labour coin - she is politicxally quite a Blairite, but comes across like an angry Corbynite. Party diehards will know the truth, but the average voter will see a kind of (deliberately) common looking, plain speaking, working class woman, authentic old Labour rather than a grammar school educated middle class, daughter of quite high achieving parents, authentic new Labour
    Good post and thinking, but the Brummie accent? Hmm.
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I think they’re gonna have to ditch the cap. Even if they don’t, it’s looking quite possible average energy bills will rise to ~£1800 from April. For many people that will be almost double.

Especially when it clashes with the COP26 rhetoric. It’s a head on smash between the Carrie wing of the Tory party and the red wall voters.
    At some point soon, it’s going to hit that climate change mitigation comes with huge costs for the average person.
  • kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Excellent post.
  • Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

If she fit the definition of fesity, call her feisty. If she doesn't, don't. Same with a man. Gender doesn't come into it.

Same with hysterical (though my beef with that word is how many illiterates confuse it with "hilarious").
    Name a feisty male MP.
    Eric Joyce ?

I don't see it used in the thread header though.
    Lloyd Russell-Moyle, although I suspect he'd try and deploy the homophobia card if it were used to describe him.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

Aslan said:

Unfortunately for Rayner I think a Northern woman with a tendency to being aggressive in PMQs would play into a classist-sexist stereotype that would go down badly with the public.

Grantham is in the East Midlands.

I have two suggestions re PMQ,
    1. When either Starmer or Rayner ask a question it is preceded by a long and often rambling, introduction. A short, punchy question would be straight to the point woould mean that they could ask maybe three more questions.
    2 Ask the question and when it is not answered simply note that it has not been answered and "record" that it hasn't and then ask the next short question.

Good points, but the current rules are that LotO gets six questions - hence he tries to get 10 minutes out of the six questions, rather than be done in three or four.
  • Andy_JS said:

It really does go to show the very tight constraints within which any government can act in following a path down to Net Zero.
  • Leon said:

There should be a circle in Dante's Purgatory where the daily punishment is "read 15,000 words by Keir Starmer" - again and again and again
    It's like Cummings blog, only more boring.

At least Cummings has some entertaining invective.

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

That makes my point with a stark and rather beautiful elegance. People come to me because I am, ntptfapoi, extremely intelligent, and know my way around computers. So we have here n people, those who come to me, who do not understand their apple products, and me unable to resolve the problem, so that's n+1 lost apple customers, because I tell them to bin it and get a OnePlus. But it's not that Apple is unworthy of its customers, in your view, it's that the customers are unworthy of Apple.

And you say you are not a fanboi.
  • BBC News - EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones

Wait till Apple bring out their iPhone 14 Wildswim
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I don't understand the "people are the product" slur, it sounds awfully dystopian but afaics it cashes out as lots of really spot-on targeted advertising selling me the brilliant products I absolutely want and need at jawdroppingly low prices; and I can check the brilliance, and the pricing, using evil google's free at the point of use search engine, before buying. What's, as they say, not to like?
    It’s not a slur. A company’s customers are those who pay it money. If the service is free to the consumer, then they are the product the company is selling to advertisers and data miners.

Take Facebook. Their algorithms are designed to make users as angry as possible, because angry people ‘engage’ more with the platform than happy people. So making the world angry makes Facebook more money. That’s the evil.
  • I'm guessing this film (if it ever comes to pass) will not be a moving tribute to the personal struggles of the Biden family.

• Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

North from my point of view - clearly above Birmingham and the Severn-Wash line!
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:

Not just a logo though, is it? It's an alternative platform, and one that millions of people worldwide prefer. You prefer Windows, fine. Many millions disagree. Get over it.
    That people prefer it is totally fine. It's reasonable to point out that the devotion level can be a bit weird though, especially when it leads to a higher price than would otherise fly even if every product they released was best in its field.

Your response of 'get over it' is strange, since why shouldn't people be able to criticise brand loyalty? Ultimately 'get over it' is just someone saying 'I/they like it, so you cannot criticise', the same defense of any dumb but popular movie.

I'd love to have some Apple devices, I just cannot justify the expense, so I'm not against the company.
    I have no strong opinion – that's my point. I find this obsessive Apple Aversion as weird, or weirder, than Apple Fanboyism. Equally, I find patriotic Android or Windows users weird too. Who cares what software you prefer? It doesn't define you.

I mean, there are two or three platforms that people can choose, and to a greater or lesser extent they all talk to each other for 99% of business and leisure operations.

My whole point is that mocking others for their choice of platform is weirdly cultish. They are tools – computer systems – not lifestyle choices.
    Like most of my peers at work, I develop on a Mac, as it offers a Unix (strictly speaking BSD i think) base with easy access to all the stuff I need without having to go down the hard-core rabbit-hole of Linux (some colleagues do but they know they can’t go running to IT for much support if things go wrong). I haven’t used a Windows machine in years so I have no idea what the state of play of Unix/Posix compatibility on that platform is these days.

So yes, that does tend to draw me into the Apple ecosystem for convenience, especially syncing stuff across devices: I have an iPad and we both have iPhones. My experience with Android is that it’s so inconsistent, between very good implementations and very bad. And then you have individual vendors customizing the UI and OS further for even more confusion.

And as to USB-C vs Lightning or whatever, I’d be amazed if Apple weren’t already planning to have all their products on USB-C worldwide anyway: it’s clearly the direct they and everyone else is heading towards.

The only issue that might arise in future is if some new standard arises that some manufacturers or the industry wants to adopt. But USB in all its flavours is already the de facto standard for all but specialized connectivity, so so long as whatever comes next can maintain the USB-C form factor and basic charging spec, everyone should be happy.
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

At some point soon, it’s going to hit that climate change mitigation comes with huge costs for the average person.
    Hmm not if the UK doubles down on it's biggest power competences right now - wind* and the faact our climate doesn't need a huge amount of either aircon or frankly if it keeps warming up, heating....
    We should be taking more advantage of our strongest natural resource and our temperate situation, that other nations can't utilise and don't have as benign a climate it as effectively as we should be to isn't our problem.

The UK's average carbon output per person is less than China, USA, Oz and way way less than anyone round err your neck of the woods.

Yet all I hear on the radio & TV tries to make the average Brit feel like they're responsible for burning down the planet. It's not us.

* With a side dish of tide, and a desert of gas storage

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

In a narrow data perspective, maybe. In terms of sustainability and planned obsolescence of their products not so much. They put battery limitations in their software updates to make iPhone users upgrade, even people who replaced their batteries officially through Apple found that their battery life was shit and it was because iOS had been updated to make it that way.
    Yes, not totally saints, but way less evil than Google, Amazon, Uber, and the social media companies.
    Som oef their gear is remarkable - the popularity of the Mac Pro laptop line among developers is quite marked.

OSX is one of the better UNIX variants, IMHO
    Selebian said:

eek said:

Fair point!
    The most environmentally friendly thing (by far) is to keep your old phone :wink:
    Yup, I've had my iPhone 6s Plus for years. I just get the bloke down the road to change the battery for £25 every so often. Best phone ever made. It has this great feature called a 3.5mm audio jack port, which prevented the pool room being music-less at a great house party I attended recently. Life-changing tech!

kle4 said:

I cannot think which of our PB luminaries you have in mind. On a totally unrelated matter does it correlate with equally absurd extreme views on certain pizza toppings?
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

You can unlock a Mac with the Apple ID password, and you can unlock an Apple ID with a device key code. The problems come with everything locked out at the same time, with device encryption turned on and backups turned off - and you realy can’t fix forgetting all the passwords.

Latest Windows tries to turn on encryption by default too, just as much of a nightmare to get into.
    I'd rather poke my eyes out with barbed wire than remember the details, but there are recovery operations which you can't do with just the device, but you can if it is hitched up to a desktop pc. What genius thought that up?

You can forget every password that ever existed with an android device because you can hard reset the thing and be someone else. Apple's problem is greed and a monopoly: it wants to control both your device, and your library of itunes or whatever.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    edited September 2021
    eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

+1 - it's why I believe Labour missed a trick not having her front and centre...
    I think you are all overlooking her blind spot. She comes across as having a dislike of men. I can understand her position, given her background working in domestic violence. But it seems to me that it creates two practical problems for her. Firstly, labour already have a problem with male voters, so it is hard to see how they may be won over by Jess Phillips. Secondly, it is not clear how she can negotiate the trans issue, given her feminist views; which as we know is a big one in her party. She may think that the winds of change are behind her, and perhaps they have been for a while, but if the winds of change are now moving in the direction of gender self identification and against the importance of biological differences between the sexes, then she may struggle with this.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

That makes my point with a stark and rather beautiful elegance. People come to me because I am, ntptfapoi, extremely intelligent, and know my way around computers. So we have here n people, those who come to me, who do not understand their apple products, and me unable to resolve the problem, so that's n+1 lost apple customers, because I tell them to bin it and get a OnePlus. But it's not that Apple is unworthy of its customers, in your view, it's that the customers are unworthy of Apple.

Nope. You just don't grasp the recovery process. I have recovered plenty of old iPhones. It's one of the less vexatious systems out there, in my experience.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

To be personal given your expertise do you recommend OnePlus and if so, which? They seem remarkably reasonably priced.

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

In a narrow data perspective, maybe. In terms of sustainability and planned obsolescence of their products not so much. They put battery limitations in their software updates to make iPhone users upgrade, even people who replaced their batteries officially through Apple found that their battery life was shit and it was because iOS had been updated to make it that way.
    Yes, not totally saints, but way less evil than Google, Amazon, Uber, and the social media companies.
    Som oef their gear is remarkable - the popularity of the Mac Pro laptop line among developers is quite marked.

Selebian said:

eek said:

Fair point!
    Yup, I've had my iPhone 6s Plus for years. I just get the bloke down the road to change the battery for £25 every so often. Best phone ever made. It has this great feature called a 3.5mm audio jack port, which prevented the pool room being music-less at a great house party I attended recently. Life-changing tech!
    USB c to 3.5 adaptor £2.49 on ebay. But to you it's Not Invented Here, like the delete key missing from the apple keyboard.

Not A Fanboi.
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I already have nightmares of driving off while the car's still plugged in - And I haven't bought one yet!

Wait till Apple bring out their iPhone 14 Wildswim
    It'll sink without trace..
    felix said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

To be personal given your expertise do you recommend OnePlus and if so, which? They seem remarkably reasonably priced.
    I've just bought the 8 and it's a step up from the motorolas which I've had for the last 4 iterations. 8T sounds much the same and a bit more up to date. 12gb of RAM (12gb! my first Mac desktop had a 1.5gb hard drive) and 5g.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    I don't see Rayner as Labour leader myself but it's hard to hit the Next Lab leader market with any confidence unless you first form a view on the circumstances: Eg (i) before the GE, (ii) after a big loss in the GE, (iii) after a tight loss in the GE, (iv) after Starmer's PMship finishes years hence following a Lab govt post the GE - these are all different scenarios favouring different successors.

On the next GE, btw, I have it atm as follows:

Con majority govt - 60%
    Con minority govt - 10%
    Lab minority govt - 25%
    Lab majority govt - 5%

This gives 2 outstanding bets. Laying Lab majority @ 7.2. Since it should be 20. And the big one, my idea of the best political bet in the firmament right now, backing Cons most seats at 1.53. This for me ought to be more like 1.2. I wouldn't put anybody off Isam's nap of Con majority (value imo at the current 2.34) but I prefer these 2.

(With apols to my fellow Labourites on here. This is my desiccated betting soul talking.)
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I already have nightmares of driving off while the car's still plugged in - And I haven't bought one yet!
    I saw that happen at a petrol station about a fortnight ago. The perils of attended service.

I would assume (yes, dangerous!) that most EVs wont let you engage drive while on charge.
  • I'm guessing this film (if it ever comes to pass) will not be a moving tribute to the personal struggles of the Biden family.

I'm worried about the American accent there. I found Lozza's enunciation poor even when he was playing an other-worldly English posh boy.
  • rpjs said:

kle4 said:

And as to USB-C vs Lightning or whatever, I’d be amazed if Apple weren’t already planning to have all their products on USB-C worldwide anyway: it’s clearly the direct they and everyone else is heading towards.

The only issue that might arise in future is if some new standard arises that some manufacturers or the industry wants to adopt. But USB in all its flavours is already the de facto standard for all but specialized connectivity, so so long as whatever comes next can maintain the USB-C form factor and basic charging spec, everyone should be happy.
    Apple will never put a USB-C on an iPhone - it’s too big - they’ll go wireless.

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Fair point!
    My phone is an iPhone SE, bought about four years ago. Touch ID, headphone jack, and fits in the pocket.

My next phone is another iPhone SE, bought three years ago and still in the box. ;)
  • darkage said:

eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

I think you are all overlooking her blind spot. She comes across as having a dislike of men. I can understand her position, given her background working in domestic violence. But it seems to me that it creates two practical problems for her. Firstly, labour already have a problem with male voters, so it is hard to see how they may be won over by Jess Phillips. Secondly, it is not clear how she can negotiate the trans issue, given her feminist views; which as we know is a big one in her party. She may think that the winds of change are behind her, and perhaps they have been for a while, but if the winds of change are now moving in the direction of gender self identification and against the importance of biological differences between the sexes, then she may struggle with this.
    Maybe she cones across like that to misogynists
  • FPT:

Mr. Moonshine, yeah, I've heard that concern raised.

Lots of reboots, remakes, and sequels seem subject to that. And overt politicisation/inability (or lack of care) to understand and respect existing canon. We'll see how things go.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2021
    On topic I had been hitherto unimpressed by Rayner - but she comes over well in Payne’s “Broken Heartlands” - one of the few Labour leading lights who do.
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the looming political problem is the increased cost of motoring. A lot of people rely on old petrol cars for cheap motoring. They cost almost nothing. By way of example, the total depreciation on my last car was £1700 over 4 years. There were no other costs at all, aside from annual servicing and MOT (£150), along with Insurance and petrol, but it did 40 mpg.

New cars, including electric cars, essentially cost at least £200 per month. They don't last the way that older petrol vehicles do due to the complicated tech and particularly battery life. If old cars are taxed and regulated out of existence, that is going to be a disaster for poor people.

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Cant be worse than listening to him read it at their conference this weekend

aka the chance Sir Keir has been waiting for - to meet, speak toand dazzle the public in person!
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    edited September 2021

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

North from my point of view - clearly above Birmingham and the Severn-Wash line!
    Lincolnshire is the only county which in part feels northern, midland and southern.

Scunthorpe and Grimsby: clearly northern. The names, most of all. Uncompromisingly viking. And the accents. And the nearest big cities - Leeds and Sheffield. A Yorkshireman would quibble, of course, but they'd quibble with everything. And all northerners think the north starts 10 miles south of where they were born.
    Lincoln, Grantham and Skegness: clearly midland. In the outer orbit of Nottingham and Leicester. And again, the accents: midlands.
    Stamford: the south. In the far edges of London commuterland. And you could be in the Cotswolds if it wasn't so flat.

Also, Holbeach: clearly East Anglia.
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Fair point!
    USB c to 3.5 adaptor £2.49 on ebay. But to you it's Not Invented Here, like the delete key missing from the apple keyboard.

Not A Fanboi.
    Whatever gets you through the night. I dislike the Apple Watch, for example, for three reasons a) its pisspoor battery life b) its fashiony, style over substance, build quality and c) that it's very obviously a ladies' watch*. I have just bought my son an Android native timepiece which is superb.

(Mrs Anab adores hers, QED)
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

eek said:

Fair point!
    My phone is an iPhone SE, bought about four years ago. Touch ID, headphone jack, and fits in the pocket.

My next phone is another iPhone SE, bought three years ago and still in the box. ;)
    Very wise. Going back to this house party, saw several guests (Androids and Apples) scratching their heads as to how they were going to fire up the amp in the pool room.

Enter my 6s Plus with its miracle 3.5mm cable port. Outstanding!
  • darkage said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the looming political problem is the increased cost of motoring. A lot of people rely on old petrol cars for cheap motoring. They cost almost nothing. By way of example, the total depreciation on my last car was £1700 over 4 years. There were no other costs at all, aside from annual servicing and MOT (£150), along with Insurance and petrol, but it did 40 mpg.

New cars, including electric cars, essentially cost at least £200 per month. They don't last the way that older petrol vehicles do due to the complicated tech and particularly battery life. If old cars are taxed and regulated out of existence, that is going to be a disaster for poor people.

Let them use bikes.
  • Reminder: “A change in the spike protein- which allows the coronavirus to enter and infect human cells- that is radical enough to make our vaccine completely ineffective would also, almost certainly, be so extreme as to make the virus non-functional.” -Sarah Gilbert, Oxford Team

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1441036156980932609?s=20
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    darkage said:

eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

She has a strong dislike of men who are violent to women; there are no signs that she dislikes men. Married with two sons......

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    This week's #COVID19 surveillance report shows case rates are highest in those aged 10 to 19 years old and lowest in over 80s.

For more information, read the full report: https://t.co/FCcjHmjBIV https://t.co/6xfPKqpq7j

Our weekly #COVID19 surveillance report also shows that case rates are highest in the East Midlands and lowest in London.

Find out more: https://t.co/FCcjHmBd7v https://t.co/dSTbdBE8Vx
    algarkirk said:

darkage said:

eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

She has a strong dislike of men who are violent to women; there are no signs that she dislikes men. Married with two sons......

"How can I hate men? My Dads one" - to quote David Brent
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773
    Selebian said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Another benefit of Brexit, not forcing companies to have to deal with crap like this.
    Bollocks. This is a highly sensible move.
    I'm just waiting on the one world government so it can sort out this mess with plug sockets
    Compatibility can be greater than you think!

I remember, shortly after getting together with my (now) wife having a bit of a shock* one morning to find that her toaster, bought when she lived in mainland Europe, still had its Schuko-style plug which she had carefully rammed into the UK socket in her flat.** The toaster casing was metallic. The earth clips on the plug were, of course, not connected to anything...

I explained that this was sub-optimal and replaced with a UK plug. I think that's when she realised I was a keeper...

* Not literally, fortunately
    ** Shouldn't have been possible, as the earth pin from a UK plug should be required to open the shutters on the live and neutral, so either a faulty socket too or sufficient insertion force had ovecome that protection
    if you jam a bic biro into the earth pin hole it releases the safety shutters on live and neutral allowing a european plug in. it works although not overly advisble......
  • isam said:

Leon said:

aka the chance Sir Keir has been waiting for - to meet, speak toand dazzle the public in person!
    That is all you ever seem to write about.
    kinabalu said:

I don't see Rayner as Labour leader myself but it's hard to hit the Next Lab leader market with any confidence unless you first form a view on the circumstances: Eg (i) before the GE, (ii) after a big loss in the GE, (iii) after a tight loss in the GE, (iv) after Starmer's PMship finishes years hence following a Lab govt post the GE - these are all different scenarios favouring different successors.

Con majority govt - 60%
    Con minority govt - 10%
    Lab minority govt - 25%
    Lab majority govt - 5%

This gives 2 outstanding bets. Laying Lab majority @ 7.2. Since it should be 20. And the big one, my idea of the best political bet in the firmament right now, backing Cons most seats at 1.53. This for me ought to be more like 1.2. I wouldn't put anybody off Isam's nap of Con majority (value imo at the current 2.34) but I prefer these 2.

(With apols to my fellow Labourites on here. This is my desiccated betting soul talking.)

Absolutely. Where can I lay a LAB majority at 7/2? I think you mean the 7.2 on Betfair which as a great bet

Reminder: “A change in the spike protein- which allows the coronavirus to enter and infect human cells- that is radical enough to make our vaccine completely ineffective would also, almost certainly, be so extreme as to make the virus non-functional.” -Sarah Gilbert, Oxford Team

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1441036156980932609?s=20

Let’s hope so!!
  • boulay said:

Selebian said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Another benefit of Brexit, not forcing companies to have to deal with crap like this.
    Bollocks. This is a highly sensible move.
    I'm just waiting on the one world government so it can sort out this mess with plug sockets
    Compatibility can be greater than you think!

I remember, shortly after getting together with my (now) wife having a bit of a shock* one morning to find that her toaster, bought when she lived in mainland Europe, still had its Schuko-style plug which she had carefully rammed into the UK socket in her flat.** The toaster casing was metallic. The earth clips on the plug were, of course, not connected to anything...

I explained that this was sub-optimal and replaced with a UK plug. I think that's when she realised I was a keeper...

* Not literally, fortunately
    ** Shouldn't have been possible, as the earth pin from a UK plug should be required to open the shutters on the live and neutral, so either a faulty socket too or sufficient insertion force had ovecome that protection
    if you jam a bic biro into the earth pin hole it releases the safety shutters on live and neutral allowing a european plug in. it works although not overly advisble......
    Its also why those stupid "child-safe" plug covers are a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667
    IshmaelZ said:

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

Fishing said:

tlg86 said:

Obviously. Being feisty is not a characteristic of men. None that I have ever met anyway. Hysterical may be.

Both Mr Kle and Mr Fishing seem to think sex is irrelevant. Very strange.
    Men are never "lively, determined, and courageous"?

Or just never in that uniquely winsome way that only the laydeez, god bless 'em, can manage?
    If that is how everybody defines the word, then why is it sexist if it is applied to a woman?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837

More German polls, almost identical. Linket has picked up slightly and is unlikely to go below 5%. Everything else much as when we discussed it a few days go, and my betting recommendations stand:

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

SPD most seats at 1.31 (Betfair Exchange) looks a good one with just 3 days to go.

I disagree. That looks like a steal. Well spotted cheers!
  • isam said:

algarkirk said:

darkage said:

eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

"How can I hate men? My Dads one" - to quote David Brent
    Well I hope all PBers would hate men who are violent to women
    edited September 2021

isam said:

Leon said:

One post about Sir Keir, a reply to someone else, in my last 18 comments

I am guilty of trying to analyse the ratings to come up with bets though, sorry

I'm guessing this film (if it ever comes to pass) will not be a moving tribute to the personal struggles of the Biden family.

I saw a total sick-bucket of a twitter exchange the other day:

Lozza (for it was he) to Neil Oliver (for it was he too): "We're going to need you this winter."

(to stand for freedom in the face of ... well in the face of something)

Oliver: "I'LL BE THERE."
  • isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

She hasn't got a Brummie accent- she's form Stockport
    darkage said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I'll be honest, the thought that Labour might make this sort of stuff go quicker may well be there at the back of my mind come the next GE when I head to the ballot box. I'm minded to vote for Stormer right now but I'll actually read the manifestoes this time round... , last time was just an automatic vote for the Tories as I didn't fancy Corbyn being in charge.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    A belated thanks for an interesting comment, Mike.

Serious question of the day:

Is it a good idea for the UK to join NAFTA II, aka United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement? How does it damage us?

• Amused that OGH is moving on from pinning his hopes on Starmer but after PMQs on Wednesday I'm not at all certain that Rayner is the solution Labour are looking for.

Not a fan of anyone in Labour but Jonathan Ashworth and Jess Phillips seem to be the two MPs who can carry a point across well, even if I don't agree with them.

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Jess Phillips, not Angela Rayner

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Jess Phillips? Born Birmingham, England, 9 October 1981...

Amused that OGH is moving on from pinning his hopes on Starmer but after PMQs on Wednesday I'm not at all certain that Rayner is the solution Labour are looking for.

Not a fan of anyone in Labour but Jonathan Ashworth and Jess Phillips seem to be the two MPs who can carry a point across well, even if I don't agree with them.

Cannot stand Ashworth. Highly irritating.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Hasn't he just been diagnosed with kidney cancer?
    Besides which, another London MP and they may as well give up.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Amused that OGH is moving on from pinning his hopes on Starmer but after PMQs on Wednesday I'm not at all certain that Rayner is the solution Labour are looking for.

Don't forget @kinabalu's favourite - ex-public schoolboy Barry Gardiner. Fits the Lab leader profile particularly well.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

darkage said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

Let them use bikes.
    Secondhand electrical cars start at about £3000 at present.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    MattW said:

A belated thanks for an interesting comment, Mike.

Serious question of the day:

Is it a good idea for the UK to join NAFTA II, aka United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement? How does it damage us?

No.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    NEW: They might not have wanted this to be made public but it’s the kind of announcement that leads to panic buying 👇
    BP prepares to ration fuel deliveries @ITVJoel learns - as some petrol stations close over supply problems

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-23/hgv-driver-shortage-bp-poised-to-ration-fuel-deliveries-amid-supply-problems?utm_source=NewsApp&utm_medium=SocialShare
    Leon said:

You can't really say this until you've read it, which you haven't. Nor have I but I'm about to. Once I have I'll give my honest opinion of it. But not before.
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: They might not have wanted this to be made public but it’s the kind of announcement that leads to panic buying 👇
    BP prepares to ration fuel deliveries @ITVJoel learns - as some petrol stations close over supply problems

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-23/hgv-driver-shortage-bp-poised-to-ration-fuel-deliveries-amid-supply-problems?utm_source=NewsApp&utm_medium=SocialShare

So what does ITV do, splash it across the news with “Panic Buying” in the headline. That’ll help the situation.

Cannot stand Ashworth. Highly irritating.
    I wish I could fly...

isam said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Con majority govt - 60%
    Con minority govt - 10%
    Lab minority govt - 25%
    Lab majority govt - 5%

Absolutely. Where can I lay a LAB majority at 7/2? I think you mean the 7.2 on Betfair which as a great bet
    Yes, 7.2. I'm doing that for £50. If I could find 7 to 2 I'd be doing £5000. :smile:
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Aslan said:

Lincolnshire is the only county which in part feels northern, midland and southern.

Scunthorpe and Grimsby: clearly northern. The names, most of all. Uncompromisingly viking. And the accents. And the nearest big cities - Leeds and Sheffield. A Yorkshireman would quibble, of course, but they'd quibble with everything. And all northerners think the north starts 10 miles south of where they were born.
    Lincoln, Grantham and Skegness: clearly midland. In the outer orbit of Nottingham and Leicester. And again, the accents: midlands.
    Stamford: the south. In the far edges of London commuterland. And you could be in the Cotswolds if it wasn't so flat.

Also, Holbeach: clearly East Anglia.
    Lincoln itself - the city - is very hard to define. It's quite far north but in places it feels distinctly southern; it's quite far east but doesn't really feel "East Anglian"

The long walk up to the cathedral on a scented, drizzly dusk in midwinter is sublime, creepy and poetic
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Sad news if he’s sick.

Many students of a certain age, will remember him as the NUS president cheering loudly in favour of tuition fees. Not something that was particularly in line with the views of those who elected him.
  • Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Sad news if he’s sick.

Many students of a certain age, will remember him as the NUS president cheering loudly in favour of tuition fees. Not something that was particularly in line with the views of those who elected him.
    "I’ve been repeatedly briefed"

i.e. Red Len rings me three times a day to tell me this.

darkage said:

eek said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Maybe she cones across like that to misogynists
    Mike - I absolutely respect your site and your right to say what you like on it, and indeed I am grateful for all that you do in hosting it. However, you are effectively calling me a misognyst, intentionally or otherwise, which I feel compelled to reply to.

It is statistically unusual, but men do actually experience domestic violence. It has been discussed on this forum. I have seen it first hand. Indeed, it is widely acknowledged, including by the government, as a real issue. Jess Phillips has been openly dismissive of these issues. There was an episode when she laughed and pulled faces in a debate on the it when it was discussed in Parliament. To my mind, this is just not acceptable conduct, for someone who aspires to be a leader of the labour party. It is evidence instead of bad judgement, of someone who is obsessed with fighting a culture war rather than finding inclusive solutions to issues that enable society to move forward. It is true, that Jess Phillips is not the only politician with this failing; but is nonetheless a significant one in my view.
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Caught very early, I gather, so hopefully he'll be ok. Or as ok as you can be post cancer.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226

FPT:

Mr. Moonshine, yeah, I've heard that concern raised.

Lots of reboots, remakes, and sequels seem subject to that. And overt politicisation/inability (or lack of care) to understand and respect existing canon. We'll see how things go.

Depends what they’d going after I suppose. I went into the theatre for Fellowship of the Ring not knowing what a hobbit or an orc was. And came out convinced it would be the greatest cinematic experience of my lifetime. I still think that. Why am I wasting time watching [X] when I could be rewatching FOTR?

But that didn’t derive just from the groundbreaking effects, it was the whole package. The astounding world building of the source material, a tight screenplay, the sweeping vistas, the stirring score and the Shakespearean cast. Let’s hope Bezos hasn’t norzed it up.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

This is interesting IMO:

"Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84

Sad news if he’s sick.

"I’ve been repeatedly briefed"

i.e. Red Len rings me three times a day to tell me this.
    It can't be anything else as there is no way Wes would be the current choice see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57113389

One reason for switching leader now would be to ensure he wasn't a candidate rather than making him the favourite.
    Pulpstar said:

darkage said:

felix said:

Sandpit said:

ping said:

Andy_JS said:

I'll be honest, the thought that Labour might make this sort of stuff go quicker may well be there at the back of my mind come the next GE when I head to the ballot box. I'm minded to vote for Stormer right now but I'll actually read the manifestoes this time round... , last time was just an automatic vote for the Tories as I didn't fancy Corbyn being in charge.
    The plan is not to tax them out of existence - just to stop selling new ICE. So the old ICE market will continue for a while.

On battery life, the current, validated by real world, numbers are a 10% drop in capacity after about 160,000 miles. So a 300,000 mile car will have 80% of it's battery capacity left.

If moderately decently built an electric car should last longer than an ICE - less mechanical stuff to go wrong.
  • kinabalu said:

Leon said:

You can't really say this until you've read it, which you haven't. Nor have I but I'm about to. Once I have I'll give my honest opinion of it. But not before.
    You said you were about to read it hours ago. Have you not been able to summon up the will to get started?
This discussion has been closed.