Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Was the CONHome members’ survey the driver of the re-shuffle? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

French elections next year btw. Whether the submarine news might be a factor...

Nah, it will sink without trace.
    Laid-off ship builders might remember.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Foxy said:

Morning all! Brighter this morning, but the weather seems to be cooling. As, to be fair, one would expect.

Can't understand this obsession with 'Global Britain', and getting involved with potential conflicts thousands of miles away. We can't really afford it and it's hardly environmentally friendly to be charging over to the other side of the globe.

Unless it's trying to bring back achievements of days of yore. Like me running for a bus; I'd like to think I could do it, but realism has to prevail.

C'mon! Get on board for the third Opium War.
    Thought we'd just fought that in Afghanistan. And, as we usually do in that country, lost.
    I think that was the 4th Afghan War. We won the first 2 Opium Wars against China, though I suspect the next one will have similar objectives, to force open China for Western business.
  • Options
    I note that Opinium finally got round to publishing their detailed tables. How do they get away with consistently breaching BPC rules?

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Boris Johnson net approval
    Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
  • Options

It has been said that the reason this deal has come into place is not just that France's diesel subs were not suitable for Australia's defence requirements, but also that Germany is heading towards neutrality and that the EU and Germany could not be trusted not to share nuclear secrets with Russia or China

Who has been saying this, just so I can judge the value of such a suggestion?
    The passive voice has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, I actually caught a spot of news yesterday (unusual for me nowadays) that indicated South Korea was beefing up its military capabilities. The line taken (BBC) was that this was trying to stand on it sown two feet rather than being reliant on the USA, but I wonder if it's that or simply wanting to be stronger (ie more Korean forces *and* the USA as an ally).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

French elections next year btw. Whether the submarine news might be a factor...

Nah, it will sink without trace.
    Laid-off ship builders might remember.
    They’ll weather the storm.

(You’re one was crap.)
  • Options

It has been said that the reason this deal has come into place is not just that France's diesel subs were not suitable for Australia's defence requirements, but also that Germany is heading towards neutrality and that the EU and Germany could not be trusted not to share nuclear secrets with Russia or China

The passive voice has a lot to answer for.
    It has been said that… insert bollocks here.
  • Options

I note that Opinium finally got round to publishing their detailed tables. How do they get away with consistently breaching BPC rules?

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Boris Johnson net approval
    Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Feck, that BJ approval figure in London is a bit of an eye opener.
  • Options
    How will France respond? The first step might be to reassess the extent of its involvement in the Indo-Pacific. Observers believe Thursday’s announcement will also imperil negotiations for a free-trade agreement between Australia and the EU, a high-income market of almost 450 million people with a GDP of around $US15 trillion.

“Everyone in Paris is shell shocked,” says Benjamin Haddad, the director of the Atlantic Council’s Europe Center. Haddad predicted the announcement represented the lowest point in US-France relations since 2003, when Paris openly criticised Washington for invading Iraq. Gérard Araud, a former French ambassador to the US, put it this way: “The world is a jungle. France has just been reminded of this bitter truth by the way the US and the UK have stabbed her in the back in Australia.”

All sides are calculating that the long-term benefits of closer defence ties between Australia, the UK and US outweigh the medium-term damage inflicted on their relationship with France.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/emmanuel-macron-has-good-reason-to-feel-angry-and-deceived-by-australia-20210916-p58s0z.html
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

On Topic I agree that Truss would make an excellent PM.

I don't get the mass hate for Nadine Dorries.

She's a tory so that's all you need really.

Mad Nad also had quite a palmarès of chatting absolute shit and having a shaky grasp on reality; the tories created 180,000 jobs in Hartlepool, etc.

The sight of her face makes me want to burn myself with a fag and I don't even smoke.
  • Options

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

The Big Broon One. The gift that keeps on giving.

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Morning all! Brighter this morning, but the weather seems to be cooling. As, to be fair, one would expect.

Can't understand this obsession with 'Global Britain', and getting involved with potential conflicts thousands of miles away. We can't really afford it and it's hardly environmentally friendly to be charging over to the other side of the globe.

Unless it's trying to bring back achievements of days of yore. Like me running for a bus; I'd like to think I could do it, but realism has to prevail.

We live in an interconnected world and as such the direction of travel is much wider than just Europe and indeed the Trans Pacific partnership will dwarf the EU in trading terms

It is also true that China is a threat to the west, and this is widely recognised and this new defence agreement is the precursor to a wider alignment of cooperation with like minded western countries both in defence and trade whiich may in years to come result in a world wide trading association of countries
    Or local political pressures now force us to stretch and contrive economic and defence policy. We’re still in Europe, anchored in the cold North Atlantic and close in time zone to the EU, even if for now the UK government can’t be seen to accept that fact.

I do not see it as contriving but the reality of the way defence and trade is migrating to the Trans Pacific
  • Options

I don't get the mass hate for Nadine Dorries. Is it just that she's an ardent Brexiteer so Remainers hate her? It seems that she's got sensible views on the BBC so seems an appropriate appointment for Culture. Plus I thought (may be wrong) she's worked as a Nurse through Covid as well as being a Health Minister which is pretty impressive really.

Snobbery (intellectual and social) no doubt plays a part.

Her first outing in her new role is at 09.30 in the HoC today.
  • Options
    Furious French foreign minister Le Drian this morning on the United Kingdom United States Australia deal: a "knife in the back", "betrayal of confidence", "allies don't do this to each other". Rare to hear quite this sort of language. France (which had its own conventional submarine contract with Australia) is very angry

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1438393614418198531?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

We’ll see the new Culture Secretary @NadineDorries in action in DCMS questions in the Commons at 9.30 this morning. Life comes at you fast in a reshuffle.

https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1438374778369454081?s=20

The reshuffle did get rid of the worst duffers in the Cabinet and is therefore to be welcomed but Mad Nad is a bizarre appointment, presumably for the entertainment value.
    She is just there for the Culture War stuff, which will be a key part of GE strategy.
    It's also a great appointment to troll the BBC.

"You think you are important? Well, meet your new contact point with Government..."

THAT is how you do humour, HIGNFY, Mock the Week, The News Quiz....
    THAT is how you would govern ?
    It's how I would cut the pompous, self-important BBC down to size, yes.
  • Options

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
    Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
  • Options

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Scots want the SNP to govern and forget indyref2
  • Options
    #YourADF will acquire Tomahawk Cruise Missiles for @Australian_Navy & Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles (Extended Range) for @AusAirForce. These new missiles will enhance our long-range strike capabilities to deter and respond to threats. #AUKUS

https://twitter.com/CDF_Aust/status/1438382148499746826?s=20
  • Options
    Gender of next Conservative leader?

Male 1/6
    Female 3/1
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

I don't get the mass hate for Nadine Dorries. Is it just that she's an ardent Brexiteer so Remainers hate her? It seems that she's got sensible views on the BBC so seems an appropriate appointment for Culture. Plus I thought (may be wrong) she's worked as a Nurse through Covid as well as being a Health Minister which is pretty impressive really.

Like most people, she has her good and bad sides. She's got some really wacky views but returning to nursing for a while during the pandemic was very creditable.
  • Options
    Ben Wallace on R4 playing a very straight bat "Australian decision to extend strategic capability doing it with closest allies"
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

We’ll see the new Culture Secretary @NadineDorries in action in DCMS questions in the Commons at 9.30 this morning. Life comes at you fast in a reshuffle.

The reshuffle did get rid of the worst duffers in the Cabinet and is therefore to be welcomed but Mad Nad is a bizarre appointment, presumably for the entertainment value.
    She is just there for the Culture War stuff, which will be a key part of GE strategy.

"You think you are important? Well, meet your new contact point with Government..."

Ironic coming from the famously self-effacing, modest and restrained Conservative party.
  • Options

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
    Even he must flinch at his own ridiculousness. Just oozes insincerity.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

I don't get the mass hate for Nadine Dorries.

She's a tory so that's all you need really.

Mad Nad also had quite a palmarès of chatting absolute shit and having a shaky grasp on reality; the tories created 180,000 jobs in Hartlepool, etc.

The sight of her face makes me want to burn myself with a fag and I don't even smoke.
    Please do not carry out your last sentence
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Ironic coming from the famously self-effacing, modest and restrained Conservative party.
    O wad some Powr the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us.
    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An foolish notion,
    What airs in dress an gait wad leae us,
    An evn devotion.
  • Options
    Truss seems set to be the Tory Corbyn. An opportunity.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Talking of the great man:

Labour whip to be restored to Jeremy Corbyn during 2021?

11/4 (Hills)

Are you a buyer?
  • Options

Furious French foreign minister Le Drian this morning on the United Kingdom United States Australia deal: a "knife in the back", "betrayal of confidence", "allies don't do this to each other". Rare to hear quite this sort of language. France (which had its own conventional submarine contract with Australia) is very angry

https://twitter.com/PedderSophie/status/1438393614418198531?s=20

Everyone needs to remember this is Joe Biden, not Trump, and also there have been years of friction between Boeing ( US) and Airbus (France and EU)

It also must have hit the EU hard at the realisation the US has chosen the UK and are unlikely to side with the EU v the UK, its renewed military partner, in controversial issues
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Someone who spends thirty years on the back benches before being propelled unexpectedly to the top? I’m not sure that works here…
  • Options
    Balanced thread:

The #AUKUS agreement is about much more than boats. Nuclear powered submarines are essential to supporting allies like Japan and defend Australia but the real gain is long term. 1/

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1438273128245907460?s=20
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Jonathan said:

Someone who spends thirty years on the back benches before being propelled unexpectedly to the top? I’m not sure that works here…
    Loved by a section of membership, focussing on delighting that core. Questionable appeal outside that.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
    The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

O wad some Powr the giftie gie us
    To see oursels as ithers see us.
    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
    An foolish notion,
    What airs in dress an gait wad leae us,
    An evn devotion.
    I use that Robbie poem quite often and the source of the bards wisdom
  • Options

I don't hate her. Indeed I think her more capable than most of the posh boys that don't know the price of milk in the government.

I wouldn't reckon a culture war on the BBC would be a good tactic electorally though. The newer Con voters in the Red Wall are not keen to smash British institutions like Auntie.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818

First.

The reshuffle actually feels like a little of a damp squib to me.

I want to see ideas from the government. Last night's news was a decent start; let's have some more.

Shuffling a bunch of no hopers around will make no difference, combined brain cell count would still be in single figures.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Loved by a section of membership, focussing on delighting that core. Questionable appeal outside that.
    Appealing to the core vote is an extremely common error in global politics. I love it when I see opponents doing it. It is one of the reasons PB is such a reassuring platform.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

rcs1000 said:

Interesting that the French fulmination over the subs deal makes no mention of the UK. Is that 1) a snub because they don’t want to credit us with anything on the global stage or 2) a recognition that in Europe the UK is the only other serious military power in town and that’s a bridge not worth burning?

I know we build our own submarines, but have we made any sales to other countries? France's defence industry exists because countries want Western technology, but don't want to be dependent on the US.
    When we got rid of the Upholder (*) class (as DuraAce mentions above), we went all-nuclear on our boats. Most countries cannot be bothered with nukes, and want diesel-electric instead. We couldn't offer them that. The French could not either; but offered to redesign their latest nuke attack sub to be diesel powered.

The Spanish S-80 class is probably not in the running due to the (ahem) interesting problems they've had with it. Like making it the first submarine that could sink but not surface again. So they lengthened it to add buoyancy, which added a whole host of other issues ...

It's interesting that Oz never really considered the UK for their Collins replacements because of their nuke power - despite their requirements being perfect for nuclear power, given the area they have to patrol.

(*) For train fans, these use the Paxman Valenta engines that originally powered the HST.
    They couldn't, our nuclear sub technology is derived from the US tech sharing agreement. It means we can't sell it on. This agreement and, notably, the UK being on the inside means we can now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Here's an idea: the EU just reframes itself as as trading block/regulatory union and gives up on "strategic autonomy" with the nations that care and do defence, France, Sweden and maybe Spain, integrating themselves into a pan-Western defence network worldwide.

There. Solved it.

The problem is that some countries have money (Germany), while others have capability (France), and everyone wants to be treated like they're really important.
    UK scores one out of three on that categorisation.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn was much more than that…
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,252

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. L, I actually caught a spot of news yesterday (unusual for me nowadays) that indicated South Korea was beefing up its military capabilities. The line taken (BBC) was that this was trying to stand on it sown two feet rather than being reliant on the USA, but I wonder if it's that or simply wanting to be stronger (ie more Korean forces *and* the USA as an ally).

The South Koreas both need the US and at the same time, as a former colony (of Japan), find it irksome to be beholden to a foreign power. They are very proud and quite nationalistic. So they are always seeking to increase their share of the defence of homeland.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Talking of the great man:

Labour whip to be restored to Jeremy Corbyn during 2021?

11/4 (Hills)

Are you a buyer?
    I think those are reasonable odds.
  • Options
    PARIS, Sept 16 (Reuters) - France will look to ensure any financial hit to Naval Group from a cancelled Australia submarine deal is limited, French Armed Forces Florence Parly said on Thursday.

Parly did not rule out France seeking compensation from Australia.

"We are studying all avenues," Parly told French radio RFI when asked whether France might seek compensation.

https://www.reuters.com/business/france-help-limit-financial-hit-naval-group-cancelled-australia-deal-2021-09-16/
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, Truss is not, unless you have footage of her marching alongside Hitler banners and swastika flags, or laying wreaths at monuments to Adolf Eichmann and the like.
  • Options
    Needs no translation:

"C'est vraiment un coup dans le dos", a regretté le chef de la diplomatie française Jean-Yves Le Drian sur France Info. "Cette décision unlilatérale, brutale, imprévisible ressemble beaucoup à ce que faisait M. Trump" #AFP

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/1438403528934842370?s=20
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

I don't hate her. Indeed I think her more capable than most of the posh boys that don't know the price of milk in the government.

I wouldn't reckon a culture war on the BBC would be a good tactic electorally though. The newer Con voters in the Red Wall are not keen to smash British institutions like Auntie.
    Liz Truss did PPE at Oxford. She's no horny-handed son of toil.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/people/elizabeth-truss
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Interesting that the French fulmination over the subs deal makes no mention of the UK. Is that 1) a snub because they don’t want to credit us with anything on the global stage or 2) a recognition that in Europe the UK is the only other serious military power in town and that’s a bridge not worth burning?

It could be a snub but mainly this is an Australian-American deal with Britain as bit-part players. Australia was due to buy French submarines. Now it will buy American. That is what France is complaining about, not the sliver of the deal that benefits this country.

Really there is no contract signed but an undertaking to start a two year feasibility study, negotatiating work and technology transfers. The boats will be built in Australian shipyards, for instance, and there will be questions of who supplies and maintains various components. The sorts of considerations that are standard on large arms deals.
    It's politically impossible to 'build' them anywhere but ASC at Osborne in South Australia. However that yard has zero autochthonous experience with nuclear propulsion so the centre sections will probably be built at GDEB (who also had to be brought in to sort out the Astute program) in Groton, CT and then shipped to Australia for integration.
    I could see it splitting three ways:
    * Hull built in Oz.
    * Sensors and weapons systems from US.
    * Powerplant from UK (RR PWR-2 or 3)

Probably not, though.
    UK at best will get to supply the sanitary ware
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

I know we build our own submarines, but have we made any sales to other countries? France's defence industry exists because countries want Western technology, but don't want to be dependent on the US.
    When we got rid of the Upholder (*) class (as DuraAce mentions above), we went all-nuclear on our boats. Most countries cannot be bothered with nukes, and want diesel-electric instead. We couldn't offer them that. The French could not either; but offered to redesign their latest nuke attack sub to be diesel powered.

The Spanish S-80 class is probably not in the running due to the (ahem) interesting problems they've had with it. Like making it the first submarine that could sink but not surface again. So they lengthened it to add buoyancy, which added a whole host of other issues ...

It's interesting that Oz never really considered the UK for their Collins replacements because of their nuke power - despite their requirements being perfect for nuclear power, given the area they have to patrol.

(*) For train fans, these use the Paxman Valenta engines that originally powered the HST.
    They couldn't, our nuclear sub technology is derived from the US tech sharing agreement. It means we can't sell it on. This agreement and, notably, the UK being on the inside means we can now.
    I think that one possible reason for UK involvement is the deals that tech transfer between the UK and the US involved - the pumpjet designs and theory come to mind. So to disentangle the technical rights to some things to sell to third parties - and the Americans have only done sub deals in recents times with the UK - might need UK involvement.
  • Options
    Not as different as some would like you to believe:

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

https://ourscottishfuture.org/poll-shows-uk-wide-shared-priorities-and-values/
  • Options

Usually when something v big happens internationally several members of the retired ambassador corps pop up within hours to say it proves again how isolated and rubbish Britain is of late. For now... silence.

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1438391557128863747?s=20

Something big my arse, Aussies buy a few boats from a guy who cannot even remember the down under guy's name and Boris butt licks as ever.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Should we be worried about Evergrande?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Here's an idea: the EU just reframes itself as as trading block/regulatory union and gives up on "strategic autonomy" with the nations that care and do defence, France, Sweden and maybe Spain, integrating themselves into a pan-Western defence network worldwide.

There. Solved it.

The problem is that some countries have money (Germany), while others have capability (France), and everyone wants to be treated like they're really important.
    And yet here we are, in the room where France isn't.
    I think you have just illustrated my point.
  • Options

PARIS, Sept 16 (Reuters) - France will look to ensure any financial hit to Naval Group from a cancelled Australia submarine deal is limited, French Armed Forces Florence Parly said on Thursday.

"We are studying all avenues," Parly told French radio RFI when asked whether France might seek compensation.

https://www.reuters.com/business/france-help-limit-financial-hit-naval-group-cancelled-australia-deal-2021-09-16/

Did a Renault 4 run over your cat? You seem a bit obsessed with France.
  • Options

Well, the lawsuit agains AZN could prove a template here - push the matter into a dark corner, politically. Until it is a (bit) forgotten....
  • Options

I'd like to know that as well.
  • Options

I can assess it immediately , total utter bollox from a jealous jingoistic country , pig sick that the Germans are better than them in every way other than US butt licking.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Needs no translation:

"C'est vraiment un coup dans le dos", a regretté le chef de la diplomatie française Jean-Yves Le Drian sur France Info. "Cette décision unlilatérale, brutale, imprévisible ressemble beaucoup à ce que faisait M. Trump" #AFP

I wish they'd refer to him as du Quai d'Orsay, though. I find that inexplicably cool.
  • Options

Why am I not surprised , fools seldom differ.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I can assess it immediately , total utter bollox from a jealous jingoistic country , pig sick that the Germans are better than them in every way other than US butt licking.
    Measured...

Morning malc.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

There. Solved it.

And yet here we are, in the room where France isn't.
    I think you have just illustrated my point.
    🙄

You remainers haven't had a great few days. Must be tough watching as the world begins to forget the EU exists.
  • Options
    Scottish politics has been dominated for decades by a proposition that’s now demonstrably false: that the English are different from us. New research today from Our Scottish Future shows quite the opposite. If it were ever true that English values and priorities were different from Scotland’s, it ain’t now. In the things they value, attitudes they display, political priorities they have and their discontents, people across England are uncannily like us.

Scotland today is an open, modern society. But so is England: people in England are proud of exactly the same things about England, to almost exactly the same extent. If anything, England may be a tiny bit more tolerant and diverse.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-english-are-more-like-us-than-we-care-to-admit-bwdgk2bdc
  • Options

Foxy said:

I was referring to Dorries, hence the posh boys comment.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    malcolmg said:

Meanwhile, the Germans are busy arse-licking Putin, because they can’t live without Russian gas.

Funnily enough, the UK and US don’t want to deal with people licking Putin’s arse.
  • Options

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Bollox of the first order
  • Options
    I hope that Boris is looking forward to never sleeping as he carves out his Pacific Global Britain from the North Atlantic.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

I do think reality is now dawning on the French of what Brexit really means for the standing of the EU (and by association France).

The UK brought a lot to the EU table and instead of accomodating the world's 5th largest economy, permanent UN security council member and major military power, the EU beancounters decided that losing the UK was a better choice than accomodating us. Now when key global decisions are being made the EU has got no presence, it's not in the room.

I have no love of the continual fracturing of the western alliance, however, it looks set to ramp up. I expect this new agreement will pull Japan, South Korea and India in as associate members fairly soon. I doubt any EU nation will be invited. Ultimately the US will want a very, very tightly closed circle on tech sharing. No single EU country can be trusted to keep the circle closed.

I understand the agreement is to be signed in the US next week with Boris travelling there and India and Japan invited to the ceremony

I really do not think our remainer colleagues have even started to understand what a devastating and profound blow this is, not just to France, but the EU itself

And the BBC may finally wake up to this and cover it
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I do think reality is now dawning on the French of what Brexit really means for the standing of the EU (and by association France).

The UK brought a lot to the EU table and instead of accomodating the world's 5th largest economy, permanent UN security council member and major military power, the EU beancounters decided that losing the UK was a better choice than accomodating us. Now when key global decisions are being made the EU has got no presence, it's not in the room.

I have no love of the continual fracturing of the western alliance, however, it looks set to ramp up. I expect this new agreement will pull Japan, South Korea and India in as associate members fairly soon. I doubt any EU nation will be invited. Ultimately the US will want a very, very tightly closed circle on tech sharing. No single EU country can be trusted to keep the circle closed.

Too much , only so much bollox can be taken at this time of the morning. The amount of deluded jingoistic cretinous halfwits on here is breathtaking.
  • Options
    Mordaunt out.
  • Options

Needs no translation:

The French history on defence deals is vibrant, colourful and striking. Particularly doing the dirty on other people.

The above quote makes me think of Animal House -

Otter: He can't do that do that to our pledgesdefence deals
    Boon: Only we can do that to our pledgesdefence deals

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,228
    edited September 2021

Like most people, she has her good and bad sides. She's got some really wacky views but returning to nursing for a while during the pandemic was very creditable.
    Nurses are generally dedicated and professional and caring, but when was the last time you were treated by a nurse and came away thinking “really that person should be running the country”?
  • Options

Scottish politics has been dominated for decades by a proposition that’s now demonstrably false: that the English are different from us. New research today from Our Scottish Future shows quite the opposite. If it were ever true that English values and priorities were different from Scotland’s, it ain’t now. In the things they value, attitudes they display, political priorities they have and their discontents, people across England are uncannily like us.

Scotland today is an open, modern society. But so is England: people in England are proud of exactly the same things about England, to almost exactly the same extent. If anything, England may be a tiny bit more tolerant and diverse.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-english-are-more-like-us-than-we-care-to-admit-bwdgk2bdc

Maybe @RochdalePioneers should take note
  • Options

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
    That is a very low bar and Brown is an absolute sellout traitor, a cretin and one of the worst arseholes to come out of Scotland in many many years.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Dura_Ace said:

Commented on here last night but of course you must come to your own conclusion
    Long term detainees on pb.com become acculturated to confidently asserted ultracrepidarianism on all manner of subjects but some of last night's pronouncements by our newly emergent experts in submarines were really quite something.
    All I know about them is that they are a menace for pulling down trawlers. I got that from the telly.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Bollox of the first order
    True though and Good Morning Malc
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, perhaps.

But a few years ago we stopped sharing anti-terror info with the Germans because it mysteriously kept being leaked. The sharing ended, the leaking stopped.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I understand the agreement is to be signed in the US next week with Boris travelling there and India and Japan invited to the ceremony

I really do not think our remainer colleagues have even started to understand what a devastating and profound blow this is, not just to France, but the EU itself

You speak as if the goal of this was some sort of petty oneupmanship. Hopefully not.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I was referring to Dorries, hence the posh boys comment.
    So you were. My mistake. Carry on.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Too much , only so much bollox can be taken at this time of the morning. The amount of deluded jingoistic cretinous halfwits on here is breathtaking.
    It must be very difficult to read for you but it is the reality of yesterday's announcement, hence the fury from the French today
  • Options
    Flabby, late middle age Unionism in UJ shorts and shouting at everyone after the 6th pint of Stella Unionism rather than the muscular variety. Anyone care to set out some guidelines for 'Britishness' programme making? 'The Great British' prefixed to every title, Neil Oliver back on the Beeb?

NickFlag of United Kingdom
    @nicktolhurst
    +UPDATE+
    UK govt to enshrine in OfCom regulations a legal obligation for national broadcasters to make “Britishness” a compulsory feature of TV.
    All programs produced by the BBC & other domestic channels must be shown to be British & not “too international” or “generic”.
  • Options
    There's a political dimension to this that's been missed. From the start of the Astute project to the first boat being commissioned was 25 years. The Australians are trying to build a nuclear navy from nothing and their SSNs aren't going to happen any quicker than that. At some point in the program's lengthy timeline the Australian Greens are going to hold the balance of power in the HoR and/or Senate and will definitely try to cave it all in.
  • Options

Flabby, late middle age Unionism in UJ shorts and shouting at everyone after the 6th pint of Stella Unionism rather than the muscular variety. Anyone care to set out some guidelines for 'Britishness' programme making? 'The Great British' prefixed to every title, Neil Oliver back on the Beeb?

NickFlag of United Kingdom
    @nicktolhurst
    +UPDATE+
    UK govt to enshrine in OfCom regulations a legal obligation for national broadcasters to make “Britishness” a compulsory feature of TV.
    All programs produced by the BBC & other domestic channels must be shown to be British & not “too international” or “generic”.

Sounds like the comic thing the French do periodically - demanding French content on radio, TV etc.

What was the one where DJs played the same song a zillion times (in France) in protest at one of these attempts?
  • Options

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

Unionists see what they want to see. Again. Yawn.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, I'd probably want to (had I the time/inclination) read the full thingummyjig, but it does sound, in the shorthand, rather peculiar.

Also, there's an argument for some degree of that from the BBC (it is funded on a compulsory basis by UK taxpayers) but I don't think it's right for independent businesses.
  • Options
    Wagamama owner The Restaurant Group is to put up chef wages in areas hardest-hit by the hospitality sector’s ongoing labour shortage.

Chief executive Andy Hornby told the Standard the group, which is also behind Frankie & Benny’s, will make the move as part of a whole host of measures to attract staff.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/wagamama-owner-to-raise-chef-wages-as-staffing-crisis-bites-b955549.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

You speak as if the goal of this was some sort of petty oneupmanship. Hopefully not.
    This is no petty one-upmanship but a crisis for France and the EU
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

I have no dog in the fight, but why do Leavers think that Look, Brexit fucked up the EU, is a banker of an argument?
    I voted remain
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    edited September 2021

MaxPB said:

Big_G can I just point out that the BBC did cover this last night, and they continue to have it as their lead story on the website.

Are you also upset at all the newspaper front pages who, like the BBC, chose to lead last night with the cabinet reshuffle?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58578976

PS "our remainer colleagues"... Didn't you vote Remain?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

I have no dog in the fight, but why do Leavers think that Look, Brexit fucked up the EU, is a banker of an argument?
    It's not an argument so much as it is the reality of "Brexit means Brexit" as the EU kept telling us over "cherry picking" and such. It was always going to cut both ways but loads of remainers and the EU in general had blinded themselves to the reality of downside risks to the EU of Brexit. Not being in the room was pointed out as a huge downside risk to them of leaving, they brushed it off and acted as though the same level of security cooperation would exist. I remember having discussions with people on here about it and the general remain/EU assumption was that the UK would continue to play a full part in the defence of the EU, it was very obviously not going to happen that way.

Now everyone needs to live within that new reality. The UK brought the EU with it when we were members, now we won't.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Why, it's not like anyone outside China will have investments in Chinese residential property?
  • Options
    Thread on why the Franco-Australian deal was about a lot more than just Subs:

https://twitter.com/morcos_pierre/status/1438296932854730754?s=20
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Commented on here last night but of course you must come to your own conclusion
    Long term detainees on pb.com become acculturated to confidently asserted ultracrepidarianism on all manner of subjects but some of last night's pronouncements by our newly emergent experts in submarines were really quite something.
    Les sous-marins ! Ce sont des choses trop graves pour les confier à des sous-mariniers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    OK I'LL SAY IT.

Shamima Begum looks quite hot.

BETTING ANGLE: she'll be on the front cover of Vogue, or another glossy, within six months.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

malcolmg said:

Meanwhile, the Germans are busy arse-licking Putin, because they can’t live without Russian gas.

Funnily enough, the UK and US don’t want to deal with people licking Putin’s arse.
    Well, not unless being very well paid for it.

Nick
    @nicktolhurst
    14h
    For those wondering where they heard of Anne-Marie Trevylan - the new trade minister - before..
    …she’s largely funded by Russian oligarch Alexander Temerko. The same man who ploughed millions into the Conservative party over the last decade in an attempt to purchase influence.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

There's a political dimension to this that's been missed. From the start of the Astute project to the first boat being commissioned was 25 years. The Australians are trying to build a nuclear navy from nothing and their SSNs aren't going to happen any quicker than that. At some point in the program's lengthy timeline the Australian Greens are going to hold the balance of power in the HoR and/or Senate and will definitely try to cave it all in.

I was assuming that - at least for the first boats - it would be something like the original Dreadnought deal. The propulsion system will have to be bought from UK/US (probably US) almost as a unit...
  • Options

Unionists see what they want to see. Again. Yawn.
    Nationalists can't face the facts. Again. Yawn.
This discussion has been closed.