Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Was the CONHome members’ survey the driver of the re-shuffle? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    With UK job vacancies at a record high, some industries are reporting difficulties in recruiting
    Hospitality businesses are twice as likely as other industries to be experiencing challenges in filling vacancies (30% compared with 13%)

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1438433361463287809?s=20

No more readily available cheap labour.....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Shamima Begum looks quite hot.

BETTING ANGLE: she'll be on the front cover of Vogue, or another glossy, within six months.

Just because she got a stylist, and did her hair and make-up, doesn’t mean that she stopped being a terrorist.
    She says she regrets what she did as a 15-yr old. While I appreciate most 15yr olds don't express their rebellious nature by travelling to war zones to become a child bride of an fundamentalist terrorist group, but she was a child at the time.

And is seemingly repentant now.
    She looks like Kamran Akmal in a wig

Jamie Bulger’s murderers were children too, it wouldn’t do for them to be on tv asking for a second chance or for people to say how handsome they are now.

Why not? If they were repentant? Or do we keep certain people in jail for ever? Or do we keep everyone in jail for ever? And who gets to override the courts' decision on the matter.
    Isam is talking about before serving their time not after.
    Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.
    First thing you’ve got right today!
    The day hasn't dawned when you are able to assess what's right or wrong.
    Haha 😛 pomposity for brunch!

If I were 25 years younger, I still wouldn’t fancy ugly 22 year olds who’ve knocked out 3 kids already though
    Stay classy, Sam.
    Don’t be so irked you feel the need into slip into lefty faux friendliness.

I’m not the one fantasising over 2/10 women a third of my age, mind you
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

BETTING ANGLE: she'll be on the front cover of Vogue, or another glossy, within six months.

Just because she got a stylist, and did her hair and make-up, doesn’t mean that she stopped being a terrorist.
    She says she regrets what she did as a 15-yr old. While I appreciate most 15yr olds don't express their rebellious nature by travelling to war zones to become a child bride of an fundamentalist terrorist group, but she was a child at the time.

Jamie Bulger’s murderers were children too, it wouldn’t do for them to be on tv asking for a second chance or for people to say how handsome they are now.

Why not? If they were repentant? Or do we keep certain people in jail for ever? Or do we keep everyone in jail for ever? And who gets to override the courts' decision on the matter.
    Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

If I were 25 years younger, I still wouldn’t fancy ugly 22 year olds who’ve knocked out 3 kids already though
    Mods: the above comment I believe crosses the line, it is both demeaning to women and in very poor taste as all three of her children have died.
  • Options

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

The Big Broon One. The gift that keeps on giving.

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
    Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
    Even he must flinch at his own ridiculousness. Just oozes insincerity.
    What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
    The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
    That is a very low bar and Brown is an absolute sellout traitor, a cretin and one of the worst arseholes to come out of Scotland in many many years.
    ... and, more importantly, a monumentally incompetent Chancellor and Prime Minister, many of whose screwups we're still dealing with.
    Yet still less incompetent than Cameron, May and Johnson. Must smart.
    This vitriol directed at Brown by our friendly neighbourhood ScotNats is noteworthy. I hold no brief for him at all but suspect that he is held in a reasonably high regard by many Scots. As is the Labour Party. There is simply not the visceral dislike for the party that there is for the Tories . Ultimately, however far off it may be, the revival of Scottish Labour remains an existential threat to Indy. Their time may come...
    Is that like the pish that was ripped out of Jimbo Murphy? That was definitely about the existential threat he posed to Indy.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Stay classy, Sam.
    Don’t be so irked you feel the need into slip into lefty faux friendliness.

I’m not the one fantasising over 2/10 women a third of my age, mind you
    Yep. Me that's irked.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,380
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

"Villagers 'should rely on torches to see at night': Street lighting in rural areas should be scaled back and SUV drivers hit with higher taxes, Government's climate adviser says

Lord Deben called for lighting in rural areas to be scaled back for the climate
    He also warned against building hundreds of homes in villages where most workers would have to commute by car - adding to pollution
    Lord Deben, who served in the Cabinet as John Gummer, also called for higher taxes on sports utility vehicles to reflect their greater carbon emissions"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995737/Villagers-rely-torches-night-Governments-climate-adviser-says.html

I think lighting between midnight and 5 should be scaled back everywhere to be honest, light pollution is one of my bugbears.
    Light pollution maps are fascinating and a bit terrifying.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=7.22&lat=55.7298&lon=-3.3327&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF
    Fascinating.
    I have never lived anywhere which isn't pink on that map.

I often wonder whether there is a simple solution to this. If you've ever flown over Britain at night, its striking how so much from street lights goes upwards. I wonder whether a simple curved mirror - a foot or two wide - over the top of the street light would focus much more downwards, allowing us to use lower wattages.

I have no expertise in this or any reason to think I should be better at designing a street light than a street light designer. But still.

(Once that gets off the ground, I'll develop my idea for reducing wear and tear on aircraft tyres.)
    The old lights were pretty bad*, but the new LED arrays have pretty good directionality. I suspect a lot of the leakage is actually from houses/shop signs and windows/traffic nowadays and reflections from those and the street lights.

*fun fact - I worked a summer as a student for the local street lighting contractor, doing some design work (I could do CAD) and even got a trip out in a cherry picker to change some light bulbs

Edit: what we need is to devise a perfect black paint (to make anything painted a perfect black body) and then paint everything with it. I appreciate that will make getting aorund the world without injury somewhat tricky and make everything very hot to touch, but the stars will be awesome :wink:
  • Options
    CONFIRMED: John Whittingdale sacked as Media Minister.

He tells me he is returning to the backbenches.

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1438435753621655553?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Why does anyone care about Shamina Begum, she's not a UK citizen.

Because her denaturalisation was spurious. She is not Bangladeshi.
    She's not a UK citizen either, the supreme court has said so. Time to move on, she clearly has as we saw in her begging video she referred to the UK continually as "you" rather than "we".
    It is not about her, it is about our rights as citizens.
    Our right to what? Go and fight for ISIS without facing any consequences? I'm happy to live without that particular right.
    To retain citizenship. And not have it removed by a lie, even if that lie is backed by the state. She simply is not and has never been Bangladeshi. If she were, then the decision would be fine. We have exported a terrorist to another country, we should do our bit, try her and lock her up, not waive our hands of responsibility.
    The issue is that she would face no justice in the UK because no UK laws were broken. She would come back, the government would make a big deal out of locking her up for a few months and then ultimately it would transpire she didn't commit any acts of terrorism in the UK and the UK doesn't have jurisdiction to try her for crimes committed in Syria. The UK doesn't have any real treason offences that we could try either as Labour got rid of most of them.

Legally disowning her is the best consequence we had in the toolbox. Her inability to come to the UK is all we could really hope for, or the Syrians find her and stick her in jail forever.
    We convicted parents on a terrorism charge for sending £223 to their ISIS son. I would be amazed if we couldnt find a law she has broken, given she has admitted some of it.
    She's admitted to committing acts of terrorism in Syria. How does a UK court convict her for that?
    IANAL but the CPS guidance general principles are:

"General principles
    There are several ways by which a state can exercise jurisdiction:

Statute and Criminal Codes (i.e. explicit reference in statute to the jurisdictional reach of the offences created in the statute);
    Territory;
    Active personality (i.e. the accused may be prosecuted in the country of the nationality of the offender);
    Passive personality (i.e. the accused may be prosecuted in the country of the nationality of the victim); and
    Universal jurisdiction (i.e. the state will be able to prosecute regardless of the nationality of the offender, the victim, and where the offence was committed, e.g. torture)."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/jurisdiction
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Is Boris making a statement about AUUKUS in the House today? If so, Sir Keir should go with the following questions.

Does this new alliance require us to provide specific military capabilities? If so will they require additional funding.

Will we be legally obliged to commit combat troops under the new alliance and if so under what circumstances?

Intelligence is to be shared. What intelligence is to be shared with whom. Are there any restrictions on what intelligence we must share and who decides this?

Technology is to be shared. Ditto.

Will this new alliance require the permanent stationing of British armed forces in the Indo-Pacific region?

Was none of this information available at the live press conference it was so important for the BBC to have covered ?
    Not really. Biden forgot Scott Morrison's name ('that fella down under') and Boris just spouted some boilerplate, although he clearly won a bet with someone by managing to get the phrase 'Levelling Up' in there.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    Guido’s got a running commentary going on the reshuffle:
    https://order-order.com/2021/09/16/reshuffle-day-two-live/

Last night’s activities went on past 10pm:
    https://order-order.com/2021/09/15/reshuffle-live-7/
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    edited September 2021

With UK job vacancies at a record high, some industries are reporting difficulties in recruiting
    Hospitality businesses are twice as likely as other industries to be experiencing challenges in filling vacancies (30% compared with 13%)

And a lot of the experienced people went and got jobs in other industries during lockdown. They are now reluctant to return for fear of another winter lockdown, and having to go through that process again.
  • Options
    Creepy comments about a young woman again, finding their way onto this board. Is this really necessary?

For what it's worth, I think Begum should face a trial and if guilty I would happily see her imprisoned for the rest of her life. But as a country that believes in the concept of a fair trial, I find it very worrying that she has not received one.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Mods: the above comment I believe crosses the line, it is both demeaning to women and in very poor taste as all three of her children have died.
    Sam has his oi oi savaloy geezer image on PB to keep up. He is without doubt a thoughtful and loving father and husband.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

She's not a UK citizen either, the supreme court has said so. Time to move on, she clearly has as we saw in her begging video she referred to the UK continually as "you" rather than "we".
    Our right to what? Go and fight for ISIS without facing any consequences? I'm happy to live without that particular right.
    To retain citizenship. And not have it removed by a lie, even if that lie is backed by the state. She simply is not and has never been Bangladeshi. If she were, then the decision would be fine. We have exported a terrorist to another country, we should do our bit, try her and lock her up, not waive our hands of responsibility.
    The issue is that she would face no justice in the UK because no UK laws were broken. She would come back, the government would make a big deal out of locking her up for a few months and then ultimately it would transpire she didn't commit any acts of terrorism in the UK and the UK doesn't have jurisdiction to try her for crimes committed in Syria. The UK doesn't have any real treason offences that we could try either as Labour got rid of most of them.

Legally disowning her is the best consequence we had in the toolbox. Her inability to come to the UK is all we could really hope for, or the Syrians find her and stick her in jail forever.
    We convicted parents on a terrorism charge for sending £223 to their ISIS son. I would be amazed if we couldnt find a law she has broken, given she has admitted some of it.
    She's admitted to committing acts of terrorism in Syria. How does a UK court convict her for that?

"General principles

Statute and Criminal Codes (i.e. explicit reference in statute to the jurisdictional reach of the offences created in the statute);
    Territory;
    Active personality (i.e. the accused may be prosecuted in the country of the nationality of the offender);
    Passive personality (i.e. the accused may be prosecuted in the country of the nationality of the victim); and
    Universal jurisdiction (i.e. the state will be able to prosecute regardless of the nationality of the offender, the victim, and where the offence was committed, e.g. torture)."

She has committed war crimes - enslaving people, participating in mistreatment of prisoners etc etc
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited September 2021
    MaxPB said:

Stripping someone of their British citizenship is a big step but now it's become acceptable it must have lots of potential future uses: tax avoiders, agitators, political opponents, people we don't like... endless possibilities!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Stripping someone of their British citizenship is a big step but now it's become acceptable it must have lots of potential future uses: tax avoiders, agitators, political opponents, people we don't like... endless possibilities!
    My fear is that one day we will get the wrong person and they will end up getting killed
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Sam has his oi oi savaloy geezer image on PB to keep up. He is without doubt a thoughtful and loving father and husband.
    Possessed by the spirit of Nige rather than Enoch today. Can't imagine the classical scholar and linguist being much of a one for giving women out of ten ratings.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

She has committed war crimes - enslaving people, participating in mistreatment of prisoners etc etc
    So could be tried here even if she was not a British citizen at the time?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

"Villagers 'should rely on torches to see at night': Street lighting in rural areas should be scaled back and SUV drivers hit with higher taxes, Government's climate adviser says

He also warned against building hundreds of homes in villages where most workers would have to commute by car - adding to pollution
    Lord Deben, who served in the Cabinet as John Gummer, also called for higher taxes on sports utility vehicles to reflect their greater carbon emissions"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9995737/Villagers-rely-torches-night-Governments-climate-adviser-says.html

I think lighting between midnight and 5 should be scaled back everywhere to be honest, light pollution is one of my bugbears.

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=7.22&lat=55.7298&lon=-3.3327&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF
    Fascinating.

I often wonder whether there is a simple solution to this. If you've ever flown over Britain at night, its striking how so much from street lights goes upwards. I wonder whether a simple curved mirror - a foot or two wide - over the top of the street light would focus much more downwards, allowing us to use lower wattages.

I have no expertise in this or any reason to think I should be better at designing a street light than a street light designer. But still.

(Once that gets off the ground, I'll develop my idea for reducing wear and tear on aircraft tyres.)
    The old lights were pretty bad*, but the new LED arrays have pretty good directionality. I suspect a lot of the leakage is actually from houses/shop signs and windows/traffic nowadays and reflections from those and the street lights.

*fun fact - I worked a summer as a student for the local street lighting contractor, doing some design work (I could do CAD) and even got a trip out in a cherry picker to change some light bulbs

Edit: what we need is to devise a perfect black paint (to make anything painted a perfect black body) and then paint everything with it. I appreciate that will make getting aorund the world without injury somewhat tricky and make everything very hot to touch, but the stars will be awesome :wink:
    Too late to edit: not necessarily hot, of course, if a perfect black body it would reach equilibrium with surroundings (and so radiate in the IR, so still good for visible wavelength stargazing)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337
    edited September 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway after many hours hospital sent Husband home without really doing anything. Told to come back if still not better.

And it isn't. Obstruction still in throat despite bits of walnut being coughed up. Throat swollen. Did not sleep well. He does not want to eat in case he chokes. Will try some glycerin linctus to see if that helps and avoids us arsing about at A&E for yet more hours.

Such a trivial thing and yet Husband looks as worried and uncomfortable as I've seen him. He kicked up such a fuss about going into hospital when he had Covid but on this went in without demur when NHS 111 person told him to. So think this is more uncomfortable than he is letting on.

If anyone has any bright ideas pass them on.

Stuck in oesophagus ?
    Lots if medics suggests a small amount of Coke (the drink) can work (they don't know why, but it does)
    @Foxy ?
  • Options

Is Boris making a statement about AUUKUS in the House today? If so, Sir Keir should go with the following questions.

Does this new alliance require us to provide specific military capabilities? If so will they require additional funding.

Will we be legally obliged to commit combat troops under the new alliance and if so under what circumstances?

Intelligence is to be shared. What intelligence is to be shared with whom. Are there any restrictions on what intelligence we must share and who decides this?

Will this new alliance require the permanent stationing of British armed forces in the Indo-Pacific region?

Surely the most important question is could no-one think of a better acronym than AUUKUS? Because if they can't I doubt they can save us anyway.
    Small point but it is now AUKUS
  • Options
    Linke flirting with relevance.

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h
    BUNDESTAGSWAHL | Sonntagsfrage YouGov

SPD: 25% (-1)
    Union: 20% (-1)
    GRÜNE: 15%
    AfD: 11% (-1)
    FDP: 10%
    LINKE: 8% (+2)
    FW: 3% (NEU)
    Sonstige: 7% (-3)
  • Options

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

Broony: I know what Scots really want, and it’s not BJ & his muscular Unionism and it’s not the Scottish nationalists.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

Don’t tell me, he also relaunched “federalism” for the ten thousand five hundred and twenty second time?
    Yep, ‘we must look again at the constitution’ was mumbled out with the concomitant absence of any concrete proposals.
    What in Brown's three years as Prime Minister - or since then - gave you a clue that he has any sense of shame or self-awareness?
    The public archive is jam-packed full of evidence to the contrary. Broon is a spectacular specimen. The amazing thing is that his reputation in the history books will be far more flattering than the Tory duds who followed.
    That is a very low bar and Brown is an absolute sellout traitor, a cretin and one of the worst arseholes to come out of Scotland in many many years.
    ... and, more importantly, a monumentally incompetent Chancellor and Prime Minister, many of whose screwups we're still dealing with.
    This vitriol directed at Brown by our friendly neighbourhood ScotNats is noteworthy. I hold no brief for him at all but suspect that he is held in a reasonably high regard by many Scots. As is the Labour Party. There is simply not the visceral dislike for the party that there is for the Tories . Ultimately, however far off it may be, the revival of Scottish Labour remains an existential threat to Indy. Their time may come...
    Yeah, Scottish Labour are really, really popular. We’re filling our breeks.

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

3–8 Sep 2021 Opinium/Sky News
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

First.

The reshuffle actually feels like a little of a damp squib to me.

I want to see ideas from the government. Last night's news was a decent start; let's have some more.

Why is Raab still in the Cabinet? A useless Minister. Now dumped at Justice so that one of the most important functions of the state can be messed around with some more by yet another useless incompetent.

We have reached a stage where trials on serious matters are due to start next week with no prosecuting or defence barristers appointed.

Competence would be a start. A welcome one.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

And a lot of the experienced people went and got jobs in other industries during lockdown. They are now reluctant to return for fear of another winter lockdown, and having to go through that process again.
    Or, having been pushed into something else, are thriving there and wouldn't go back for all the tea we won't get from China because CHINA ARE THE ENEMY.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

There will be a lot of hospitality workers, who realised that driving a van or working in a warehouse made for better hours and more pay. Often a lot more pay.

There’s also a shortage of perhaps a million people who emigrated during the pandemic, mostly low-paid EU workers returning to their home countries following redundancy. It’s not clear how many of them applied for UK residency.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

I’m not that kind of ‘geezer’ nor do I want to be thought of as one - bit rich coming from someone who’s attention seekingly perving over someone young enough to be their grand daughter to say so
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Nigelb said:

Was none of this information available at the live press conference it was so important for the BBC to have covered ?
    Not really. Biden forgot Scott Morrison's name ('that fella down under') and Boris just spouted some boilerplate, although he clearly won a bet with someone by managing to get the phrase 'Levelling Up' in there.
    The speaker should be okay with it though? It wasn’t announced first in the house, but it’s special isn’t it?

Those boring people who drone on about the Presidentialisation of UK politics may not be happy as usual, but for our politics to copy America might not be such a bad thing at all.

I can’t wait to be a presidential style British PM myself, RCS said yesterday there is a chance both HY and myself can be one!

Perhaps we can rotate on the position, like the Irish are doing.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

At the very least she could be sentenced to reading Jane Austen. I believe that is considered the appropriate tariff for white terrorists.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

mwadams said:

Or, having been pushed into something else, are thriving there and wouldn't go back for all the tea we won't get from China because CHINA ARE THE ENEMY.
    Pity they let the enemy own so many of their Assets first though
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2021

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

On current UK polling the SNP may well be propping up UK Labour as the UK government in a hung parliament after the next general election.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

I'm reminded of this sort of stuff in 2014

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/gordon-brown-backs-federalism-event-no-vote-1528957
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021
    Have to say I usually think a lot of @TOPPING's posts but I'm very disappointed in the way they're talking about women now. I would not be at all happy if it were my daughter being spoken about in the way, as I am sure they would agree if it were theirs.

Can we just leave this kind of language at the door and just try and be a bit more respectful. This kind of language adds nothing to the debate and turns us into other sites which I purposefully come here to avoid.

If it continues, I will consider posting elsewhere.

Edit:

And the same goes for @isam too.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

I’m not that kind of ‘geezer’ nor do I want to be thought of as one - bit rich coming from someone who’s attention seekingly perving over someone young enough to be their grand daughter to say so
    saying "someone is hot" = perving.

I would have thought that that would fall into the political correctness gone mad category wouldn't it? Not your usual view on such things.

Plus are you really happy with your comment?

"I still wouldn’t fancy ugly 22 year olds who’ve knocked out 3 kids already though"
  • Options

I put my hand up and admit I was wrong in what I was posting on here last evening.
    I should listen to the TAP OUT TIME adverts: “what do you know about Taiwanese Politics? TAP OUT NOW before embarrassing yourself.”

And completely embarrassed myself about Australian politics too. This announcement is proving brilliant for Morrison, a platform for his coming reelection campaign, turns a sub issue into a triumph, and a wedge driven between his Labour and Green rivals costing Labour lots of votes potentially. Genius.

Flint Knob was right, the whole Australian establishment goes along with it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/submarines-a-costly-debacle-but-here-s-why-morrison-has-little-argument-from-labor-20210916-p58s8c.html

A small issue though for that fella down under, could his submarine deal cost Australian jobs?
  • Options
    Johnson statement in HoC on AUKUS has started.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    gealbhan said:

Perhaps we can rotate on the position

That's pretty close to what I was thinking
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h

SPD and Grune and Linke still only gets to 48% though, SPD and Grune and FDP does get to 50%
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

"someone is hot" = perving.

I would have thought that that would fall into the political correctness gone mad category wouldn't it? Not your usual view on such things.

"I still wouldn’t fancy ugly 22 year olds who’ve knocked out 3 kids already though"
    “ OK stuff to do and I think I've made my point…” seems so long ago
  • Options

Have to say I usually think a lot of @TOPPING's posts but I'm very disappointed in the way they're talking about women now. I would not be at all happy if it were my daughter being spoken about in the way, as I am sure they would agree if it were theirs.

Can we just leave this kind of language at the door and just try and be a bit more respectful. This kind of language adds nothing to the debate and turns us into other sites which I purposefully come here to avoid.

Don't encourage them!

Other websites and discussion groups available (or so I believe) for discussion of such things.
  • Options

Not as different as some would like you to believe:

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

https://ourscottishfuture.org/poll-shows-uk-wide-shared-priorities-and-values/

Unionists see what they want to see. Again. Yawn.
    Nationalists can't face the facts. Again. Yawn.
    England and Scotland are identical.

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Boris Johnson net approval
    Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Duh. Someone who can't tell the difference between voting intentions and attitudes - which Nationalists keep insisting are different when they are in fact virtually identical....if anything, England a little more tolerant.....
    Yeah, that’s right, English and Scottish attitudes are identical.

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_property_20210721.html

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

First.

I want to see ideas from the government. Last night's news was a decent start; let's have some more.

Why is Raab still in the Cabinet? A useless Minister. Now dumped at Justice so that one of the most important functions of the state can be messed around with some more by yet another useless incompetent.

We have reached a stage where trials on serious matters are due to start next week with no prosecuting or defence barristers appointed.

I hold no candle for Raab but isn't he a human rights lawyer ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Edit:

Fuckin' hell. I mentioned her perceived prettiness, or "hotness" as it has been applied on PB of late.

Now you've got me coming over all political correctness gone mad. Is an assessment of how someone looks cause for disappointment, o tempora o mores, no means no, etc?

Unless.

You are winding me up. In which case well done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

On current UK polling the SNP may well be propping up UK Labour as the UK government in a hung parliament after the next general election.

You are HAL 9000 and I claim my five pounds.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Don't encourage them!

Other websites and discussion groups available (or so I believe) for discussion of such things.
    ‘Carry on Topping’
  • Options

In Scotland, England and Wales, people are united in their belief that equality (78%, 76%, 78%), tolerance (83%, 83%, 83%), liberty (86%, 87%,83%), and diversity (82%, 82%, 80%) are important to making them proud of their nation.

The poll also showed that people are across the three nations are largely agreed on controversial social questions around limits on immigration, the nature of British history, and the balance between equality and opportunity in society.

On priorities, people in all three nations said that making the NHS the best healthcare system in the world needed to be the clear top focus for government.

Similarly, people across all the countries of the UK prioritised a dignified retirement for old people, fighting climate change, and making sure every child has the best education as other top priorities.

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17
    Duh. Someone who can't tell the difference between voting intentions and attitudes - which Nationalists keep insisting are different when they are in fact virtually identical....if anything, England a little more tolerant.....

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

I still find that map remarkable (even if the only red spot in Scotland is a strongly Tory ward, there are plenty of other Tory and LD wards).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    Emma Raducanu on returning to the UK - "It's good to be home". How can that be true, Twitter has assured me that she's definitely Romanian, she's clearly mistaken.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Indeed. I love it here. I'll try to stay long enough to hear whether you are happy with your comment.
  • Options

Edit:

We do not agree often but I do agree with you on this

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Fishing said:

malcolmg said:

Fishing said:

Groundgord Day on R4.

It’s Labour isn’t it!

SNP 51%
    SCon 21%
    SLab 17%
    SLD 5%

I'm reminded of this sort of stuff in 2014

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/gordon-brown-backs-federalism-event-no-vote-1528957
    You could go back to the 1960s and find similar guff from Labour politicians. Even a lot of Tories up until the late 70s.
  • Options

Edit:

We do not agree often but I do agree with you on this

OK that's it He hath spoken.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

The PB let her back in campaign starts here.

Who's with me? Casino, Sandpit, PT for sure.

Morris I'll put you down as undecided.

We have some real momentum here.

For those of us who aren't part of your inner club & don't sit on here all day any chance of explaining who you're on about?
    I was referring to @Casino_Royale, @Sandpit and @Philip_Thompson's desire to have Shamima Begum return to Britain to face British justice because she a Brit.

I stand with them.
    You know full well that's not where I stand. Why lie and tag me in a lie? 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Indeed. I love it here. I'll try to stay long enough to hear whether you are happy with your comment.
    Perfectly happy with it, off you pop.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I do think reality is now dawning on the French of what Brexit really means for the standing of the EU (and by association France).

The UK brought a lot to the EU table and instead of accomodating the world's 5th largest economy, permanent UN security council member and major military power, the EU beancounters decided that losing the UK was a better choice than accomodating us. Now when key global decisions are being made the EU has got no presence, it's not in the room.

I have no love of the continual fracturing of the western alliance, however, it looks set to ramp up. I expect this new agreement will pull Japan, South Korea and India in as associate members fairly soon. I doubt any EU nation will be invited. Ultimately the US will want a very, very tightly closed circle on tech sharing. No single EU country can be trusted to keep the circle closed.

I understand the agreement is to be signed in the US next week with Boris travelling there and India and Japan invited to the ceremony

I really do not think our remainer colleagues have even started to understand what a devastating and profound blow this is, not just to France, but the EU itself

And the BBC may finally wake up to this and cover it
    Big_G can I just point out that the BBC did cover this last night, and they continue to have it as their lead story on the website.

Are you also upset at all the newspaper front pages who, like the BBC, chose to lead last night with the cabinet reshuffle?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-58578976

PS "our remainer colleagues"... Didn't you vote Remain?
    This was a live statement by the President of the US, and Prime Ministers of UK and Australia and notified to the media worldwide.

Sky covered it live and have been heavily featuring it but the BBC coverage has been poor

The front pages are very different as they were going to press during the announcement but broadcast media are able to be far more flexible and do 'breaking news' all the time

This announcement has understandably upset EU supporters and those on the left as it has profound implications
    “ profound implications “

You are not bigging it up a bit do you think? Is it really that big a story, let alone policy?

In terms of effectively combatting China, We have been completely ignorant of China’s play of soft power around the world, and not even in the game in fact - cutting our own aid budgets and even allowing them into our own economic sectors - comms, education, energy for examples.

Whilst we acknowledge China’s defence capacity prevents conflict with them, so enter an arms race for deterrent, we seem helpless to how they can instead screw us economically.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/246420/major-foreign-holders-of-us-treasury-debt/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3ct2kdq

There’s many ways of fighting back and being strong against what’s going on. There is also the fig leaf that distracts from the real and difficult things we should now be doing, should have been doing for a long time. So How much of a success our leaders in combatting China? Surely we should be talking failure?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Edit:

Will you be getting on your high horse ?
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

I put my hand up and admit I was wrong in what I was posting on here last evening.
    I should listen to the TAP OUT TIME adverts: “what do you know about Taiwanese Politics? TAP OUT NOW before embarrassing yourself.”

And completely embarrassed myself about Australian politics too. This announcement is proving brilliant for Morrison, a platform for his coming reelection campaign, turns a sub issue into a triumph, and a wedge driven between his Labour and Green rivals costing Labour lots of votes potentially. Genius.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/submarines-a-costly-debacle-but-here-s-why-morrison-has-little-argument-from-labor-20210916-p58s8c.html

A small issue though for that fella down under, could his submarine deal cost Australian jobs?
    As they are to be built in Adelaide then they should create jobs
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway after many hours hospital sent Husband home without really doing anything. Told to come back if still not better.

And it isn't. Obstruction still in throat despite bits of walnut being coughed up. Throat swollen. Did not sleep well. He does not want to eat in case he chokes. Will try some glycerin linctus to see if that helps and avoids us arsing about at A&E for yet more hours.

Such a trivial thing and yet Husband looks as worried and uncomfortable as I've seen him. He kicked up such a fuss about going into hospital when he had Covid but on this went in without demur when NHS 111 person told him to. So think this is more uncomfortable than he is letting on.

He needs to be seen in ENT. Often it is just a scratch rather than an obstruction, but if there is an obstruction it needs action.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

I still find that map remarkable (even if the only red spot in Scotland is a strongly Tory ward, there are plenty of other Tory and LD wards).
    Even Scottish Tories are different from English Tories. Both in terms of voting behaviour and attitudes.

FUDHY was even claiming recently that the SCons have a different disciplinary code. (Never backed up by a source I note.)
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Not a lawyer, but I think it is possible to convict people of offences committed abroad:
    https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/terrorism-guidance-relation-prosecution-individuals-involved-terrorism-overseas

As an aside... if it isn't possible, it obviously should be!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

She could be tried for treason "adhered to the Queen's enemies in her realm, giving them aid and comfort in her realm or elsewhere". Casement and Joyce are precedents. Joyce wasn't a British subject but was deemed to qualify as he had sought the King's protection by applying for a British passport.

She has served the enemy in time of war, by anybody's standards she is a traitor.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited September 2021
    Morning all. Interesting events last night.

On streetlights, we have been on that one as a country for about 15 years, and now about 60% of streetlights are leds , which are not necessarily cheaper to run than sodium (orange) lights, but are more directed and last far longer.

If you want to know the lifecycle cost of a lamp post and light (minus energy I think), then build a housing estate. Part of your S106 agreement will be a sum for provision and maintenance them for 25 years. It is well into 4 figures per lighting pole.

The main benefit of LEDs is how long they last, which reduces maintenance a lot.

Cost of conversion is a couple of hundred per lamp post; annual savings are about £30. Quick but a far slower payback than converting your house lights; mine paid back in 18 months back in 2013.

A huge benefit of LEDs for self-managed landlords has been the reduction in phonecalls on Saturday afternoons "can you come and change a lightbulb?".

On dark skies, it looks like all the National Parks will end up with them, and perhaps AONBs. A mate in Fovant in Dorset, (jammy sod with a passive haus that pays for his Council Tax in FIT income) which is in one, says they just all carry torches after dark.

This is the current status. ~6o% replaced, ~30% reduction in power used (industry numbers though.). And control of floodlights is a common planning condition. The visual impression of the graphic is interestingly misleading due to the drawing.

https://ukrlg.ciht.org.uk/media/12711/transpro_january2021_ukrlg.pdf

I love that Sky darkness is measured on the "Bortle Scale", which makes me laugh.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale

Don't believe the "UK is useless" types; this one is mainly just happening.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Deutschland Wählt
    @Wahlen_DE
    · 4h

SPD and Grune and Linke still only gets to 48% though, SPD and Grune and FDP does get to 50%
    And Grune and FDP don’t get on and won’t be in the same coalition.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504

gealbhan said:

As they are to be built in Adelaide then they should create jobs
    In the longer term, in the short term job losses from cancellation of the Naval order.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

Perfectly happy with it. Fair enough.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

She could be tried for treason "adhered to the Queen's enemies in her realm, giving them aid and comfort in her realm or elsewhere". Casement and Joyce are precedents. Joyce wasn't a British subject but was deemed to qualify as he had sought the King's protection by applying for a British passport.

She has served the enemy in time of war, by anybody's standards she is a traitor.
    Genuine question, who were we at war with?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

gealbhan said:

Oh that’s a bit rude 😆
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Farooq said:

gealbhan said:

Oh that’s a bit rude
    Eye of the beholder, as it were.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

The precedents in international law suggest that any state can try anyone for a war crime (as defined by the international conventions).

There has been a resistance in some legal circles to using war crimes against non-nation state actors, even though there is clear applicability from the Hague Convention onward. Not sure why.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    edited September 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

"General principles

Territory;

Agreed, there are lots of laws she has broken and could be tried for, if we believed in applying the law, instead of wishing the problem on another country.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Edit:

Will you be getting on your high horse ?
    We all like to think ourselves as the shining light on the hill, illuminating the world for the benefit of others.

Shame about the contribution to light pollution though.
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Country with population density of 65/sqkm has fewer NIMBYs than country with 434- whodathunk it?

I hadn't heard the SNP advance "less NIMBYism" as one of Scotland's alleged moral superiorities before - one to add to the list!

Given Scotland is such a welcoming, open and liberal country, why do very many more immigrants choose to live in England? It's a puzzle!
  • Options
    MattW said:

On streetlights, we have been on that one as a country for about 15 years, and now about 60% of streetlights are leds , which are not necessarily cheaper to run than sodium (orange) lights, but are more directed and last far longer.

If you want to know the lifecycle cost of a lamp post and light (minus energy I think), then build a housing estate. Part of your S106 agreement will be a sum for provision and maintenance them for 25 years. It is well into 4 figures per lighting pole.

The main benefit of LEDs is how long they last, which reduces maintenance a lot.

Cost of conversion is a couple of hundred per lamp post; annual savings are about £30. Quick but a far slower payback than converting your house lights; mine paid back in 18 months back in 2013.

A huge benefit of LEDs for self-managed landlords has been the reduction in phonecalls on Saturday afternoons "can you come and change a lightbulb?".

On dark skies, it looks like all the National Parks will end up with them, and perhaps AONBs. A mate in Fovant in Dorset, (who has a passive haus that paus for his Council Tax in FIT income) which is in one, says they just all carry torches after dark.

This is the current status. ~6o% replaced, ~30% reduction in power used (industry numbers though..). And control of floodlights is a common planning condition. The visual impression of the graphic is interestingly misleading due to the drawing.

I love that Sky darkness is measured on the "Bortle Scale", which makes me laugh.

Don't believe the "UK is useless" obsessives; this one is mainly just happening.

One benefit of the LEDs in streetlamps is EV charging. For some reason, quite a few street lamps are wired for 32A - nearly all for over 20A.... Which means when you switch over, there is a quite alot of spare capacity.

Round where I live, in West London, there is a quiet, on going program of replacing the street lamps with ones with charging units built into the base.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Cyclefree said:

Its possible the inflammation is making it feel like the throat is still obstructed. I'd suggest ibuprofen and sticking to liquids for a bit, and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to go back to the hospital if this carries on.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Fascinating.

Conveyor belt runways, or electric motors that spin up the wheels to 150mph?
    Simpler than that - a sort of scoop-windmill on the wheel of the plane, such that when the wheel comes down it starts spinning, ultimately getting close to the relative speed of the plane vs the air.
    It wouldn't get up to 150mph, because friction. But even getting up to half that would help. Unless the friction of non-spinning tyre on runway is essential to slowing the aircraft down.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

First.

I hold no candle for Raab but isn't he a human rights lawyer ?
    The usual pb criterion for judging lawyers is whether they learned their trade at Oxford or Cambridge. Unfortunately, Raab did both so we cannot tell in his case.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Raab#Early_life_and_education
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Country with population density of 65/sqkm has fewer NIMBYs than country with 434- whodathunk it?

I hadn't heard the SNP advance "less NIMBYism" as one of Scotland's alleged moral superiorities before - one to add to the list!

Given Scotland is such a welcoming, open and liberal country, why do very many more immigrants choose to live in England? It's a puzzle!
    It's not just immigrants, it's also Brits. Lots of people want to live further south. Now, why?
  • Options

Reminder to Lord Deben that street lighting exists to deter crime. Criminals are less likely to burgle and the like in well-lit areas.

You cut the street lights then crime will rise.

You are exhibiting a terrible bigotry towards the Legally Challenged Community - burglars have rights as well.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Creepy comments about a young woman again, finding their way onto this board. Is this really necessary?

For what it's worth, I think Begum should face a trial and if guilty I would happily see her imprisoned for the rest of her life. But as a country that believes in the concept of a fair trial, I find it very worrying that she has not received one.

Seriously - is saying someone is attractive - "creepy comments"?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

We know where we stand - you feel it necessary to broadcast that you fancy a terrorist young enough to be your granddaughter, and I am happy to state that when I was 21 I didn’t go for girls who’d already had three kids. 👍🏻
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Its possible the inflammation is making it feel like the throat is still obstructed. I'd suggest ibuprofen and sticking to liquids for a bit, and hope for the best. Don't hesitate to go back to the hospital if this carries on.
    If laughter is the best medicine, why not woozily whisper in the ear, you’ve cancelled today’s Waldorf Salad? 😗
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

We've been through this before with Covid, but that stat conceals a great deal of intense urbanization and vast areas where there is not much except sheep, deer and grouse shite to obstruct the winds. And it's urban areas that immigrants usually come to (with interesting exceptions such as the mid-C20 itinerant pedlar around the Highlands and Islands).
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Stocky said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Right.
    I’m talking about ever.
    I knew that.

We know where we stand - you are feel it necessary to broadcast that you fancy a terrorist young enough to be your granddaughter, and I am happy to state that when I was 21 I didn’t go for girls who’d had three kids. 👍🏻
    Glad to see that you have matured over the years and no longer hold those views.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

It's not just immigrants, it's also Brits. Lots of people want to live further south. Now, why?
    Work. Principally the massive pull from the economic success of London.
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Leave vs Remain correlation high. Is Leaverism just Nimbyism?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Fascinating.

Simpler than that - a sort of scoop-windmill on the wheel of the plane, such that when the wheel comes down it starts spinning, ultimately getting close to the relative speed of the plane vs the air.
    It wouldn't get up to 150mph, because friction. But even getting up to half that would help. Unless the friction of non-spinning tyre on runway is essential to slowing the aircraft down.
    Your issue with getting the wheel spinning is going to be inertia - on larger planes they weigh several hundred kilos, and even with a new bearing will still take quite the force to spin up.

The friction of non-spinning tyre on the runway in slowing the plane down, is very marginal.

The biggest problem is going to be increasing wind resistance leading to more fuel burn. Planes have to fly at a set speed on approach, as directed by controllers to space the planes correctly, then reducing to the landing speed based on plane type and weight. The additional drag caused by the scoops means the planes would need to use more throttle, burning more fuel, with the gear down. It’s likely that the additional cost of fuel would be higher than the cost of the wear to the tyres.
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Leave vs Remain correlation high. Is Leaverism just Nimbyism?
    Not "just" but it's a component.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited September 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

Cyclefree said:

The system's fucked. I was in A&E for 16 hours when I fucked myself in that recent motorbike accident. I couldn't face going back so I cut my cast off with a pneumatic rotary die grinder and made my own splint with thermoplastic off eBay and velcro tape. Got a megaton yield thermonuclear bollocking of Mrs DA for this act of hardy self-reliance.

I'm curious, do you experience fear? :smiley:
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Fascinating.

Half remembered something about this - found these comments on the web archive

https://web.archive.org/web/20161011070440/http://archives.sensorsmag.com/articles/0300/14/index.htm

One comment -

Years ago, I worked for a training director at an airline in Alaska. I asked the same question as I watched the usual cloud of smoke from each tire as it touched the runway. The person I asked had worked with Lockheed 1049 “Connie” aircraft during the tests of this concept during the late ’40s early ’50s. Goodyear built regular aircraft tires and added sloped “chines” to the sides of the main landing gear tires to help them spin up. Test flights went well. Pilots reported the aircraft felt more stable, solid, and so on. They were using the normal long, straight-in approach for landing that was typical for testing. Scheduled airline service was another matter, however.
    Airliners normally fly a downwind leg, turn toward the landing field (base leg), then turn onto final approach. Flight crews did not like having almost 1000 lb. of spinning mass ~15 ft below the center of gravity. The special tires made the aircraft very hard to turn, especially at low airspeeds associated with the approach and landing phase. The crews wanted gyroscopes in the cockpit, not under the wings. But it seemed like a good idea at the time.

• Options

Surely the most important question is could no-one think of a better acronym than AUUKUS? Because if they can't I doubt they can save us anyway.
    CAUKUS by next month?
  • Options

CAUKUS by next month?
    China?! :open_mouth:
  • Options

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

There is also - loath though I am to admit it - the weather.

Now I very much like Manchester. There is a lot to recommend living here. It's a much more pleasant place to live than London; less hemmed in, more affordable, and we have far better countryside within 90 minutes than London does. Life here is good. But even the most patriotic of Mancunians would swap our weather for London's. Hell, I would swap our weather for Sheffield's.
  • Options
    HoC largely supportive of AUKUS - even Blackford!
  • Options

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Another way of looking at population density is that the green blob in the south-east is London. The green blob at the top is Scotland, and is far larger, yet there are more people living in London.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

OK I'LL SAY IT.

Why not? If they were repentant? Or do we keep certain people in jail for ever?
    The answer to that is yes. There are still thousands locked up under the bastard "Indeterminate Sentencing" scheme introduced by New Labour, and partially stopped by the Coalition after it was declared against human rights law. They failed to kill the existing ones however.

The sentences passed have not been cancelled, and people still get recalled to jail for relative trivialities.

There are now 2000 people in prison under the regime. Even Mr Blunkett recognises that it is a disaster.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/offender-management-statistics-quarterly-january-to-march-2020--2/offender-management-statistics-quarterly-january-to-march-2020
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06086/SN06086.pdf
  • Options
    MattW said:

On dark skies, it looks like all the National Parks will end up with them, and perhaps AONBs. A mate in Fovant in Dorset, (jammy sod with a passive haus that pays for his Council Tax in FIT income) which is in one, says they just all carry torches after dark.

This is the current status. ~6o% replaced, ~30% reduction in power used (industry numbers though.). And control of floodlights is a common planning condition. The visual impression of the graphic is interestingly misleading due to the drawing.

Don't believe the "UK is useless" types; this one is mainly just happening.

Intderesting to see that map - the dark areas are already making it a tourist-attracting theme:

https://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/landscapes-nature/dark-sky-parks-sites/

With modified street lighting in Moffat for instance in the Scottish Borderlands.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Have you tried comparing that with a map of existing housing density? It's like saying the passengers on the Titanic had a much greater interest than the public at large, in rowing boats. The sort of hilariously shit point which easily outweighs about 25 or 30 valid ones which you might make. But carry on by all means.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Have you tried comparing that with a map of existing housing density? It's like saying the passengers on the Titanic had a much greater interest than the public at large, in rowing boats. The sort of hilariously shit point which easily outweighs about 25 or 30 valid ones which you might make. But carry on by all means.
    That was my thought. Interestingly, the reds seem to correlate to areas of medium density. High and low density areas are less bothered. Understandable - but bimodal variations (is that right? Where there are two distinct poeaks?) are always interesting.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

Farooq said:

Scottish VI
    SNP 50%
    SCon 29%
    SLab 16%
    SGP 1%
    SLD 1%
    oth (presumably Alba) 2%

Midlands -4
    London -9
    South -17
    North -18
    Wales -23
    N Ireland -34
    Scotland -46
    UK -17

There is also - loath though I am to admit it - the weather.

Now I very much like Manchester. There is a lot to recommend living here. It's a much more pleasant place to live than London; less hemmed in, more affordable, and we have far better countryside within 90 minutes than London does. Life here is good. But even the most patriotic of Mancunians would swap our weather for London's. Hell, I would swap our weather for Sheffield's.
    FAR better is a stretch.

The Peaks are sensational but Suffolk, Norfolk, Chilterns, South Downs, New Forest and eastern Cotswolds within 90 minutes of London.

People up north (thankfully) massively underrate the countryside down south, keeps the crowds away.
This discussion has been closed.